PDA

View Full Version : Stickergate

RelativeWays
04-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Oh do you even care? I think the timing was bad for Huckleberry Hound. I understand he loves KU and he spent 15 years there, but this is also the team that destroyed his team of title hopefuls. I've read some heel fans say if Knight had beat Duke in the FF, K would be in the stands supporting him. While I don't doubt that K would support Knight, I don't see him wearing an IU or TT sticker or shirt in the stands, especially if that same team just humiliated his on the national stage. I could see where some of the UNC fans and players might take umbrage with this.

dcarp23
04-08-2008, 03:18 PM
I personally cannot understand why anyone would care about this. However, I certainly understand that people WOULD care about it, and would expect that Coach Williams would see the situation in a similar light. From a distance and obviously without knowing the man, it seems that Roy suffers from a desire to be liked by everyone. I don't fault him for that, but it certainly creates some interesting situations.

tux
04-08-2008, 03:22 PM
It was a silly thing to do. Just sitting in the KU section would be a fine and normal thing for Roy to do, given his long tenure there and the fact that a lot of his ex-players were also in the stands. (A lot of coaches go to the FF, after all.)

But why wear a silly Jayhawk sticker, and why leave it on for the national TV interview?!? It's like it's more important for him that fans of KU accept him back into their fold than for him to represent UNC. I can imagine his train of thought, but I can't help but to think of that train of thought as somewhat childish.

allenmurray
04-08-2008, 03:36 PM
He was hired to more than just coach the basketball team - he was hired to represent the university. In essence, part of hisjob is marketing the brand. This happened only two days after KU knocked his team out of the tournament. It was incredibly poor judgement on his part.

Mike Corey
04-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Roy-Will should just coach his own damn team.

This was a patronizing move, intended to be conspicuous.

He could have supported his former school just as fervently by wearing benign apparel. He chose not to, and must now wipe his feet before returning to the good graces of Tar Heel nation.

HK Dukie
04-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Given his salary, if he was going to wear anything with Jayhawks on it, couldn't he afford a sweater or a hat?

Wearing something with Carolina on it, and something with Jayhawks would have been a much better tact than wearing a STICKER! That's an insult to both teams!

weezie
04-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Maybe Roy lost a bet and was forced to wear the goofy sticker.

millerecu
04-08-2008, 04:25 PM
One of the callers had the only rational reason for wearing it. He was proud cause one of HIS recruits finally made it to the National Championship Game, let alone won it.

dukeimac
04-08-2008, 04:32 PM
This isn't anything to do with the fact that KU beat his team a few nights before this happened.

Roy's first mistake was to go public with the fact that he was hurt that some KU fans still hold a grudge against him for leaving KU the way he did. He has moved on to UNC and he should more than happy with the UNC support. It would show that he has moved on and was happy with UNC. The hurt feeling might indicate he hasn't.

Secondly, being he made point 1 publicly known, his act of wearing the jayhawk sticker was bound to make some KU fans a little happier but make some UNC fans worry about his loyalty to UNC.

Supporting, cheering for a team is one thing but wearing something of theirs is another.

This all reminds me of that picture of Roy standing next to that guy with the shirt that says "I don't give a ^&$% about North Carolina."

SilkyJ
04-08-2008, 04:36 PM
While I don't doubt that K would support Knight, I don't see him wearing an IU or TT sticker or shirt in the stands, especially if that same team just humiliated his on the national stage. I could see where some of the UNC fans and players might take umbrage with this.

I think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. In my opinion it is the "thought that counts"

If roy had worn a tie that was Kansas colors it would have been a more subtle gesture and we probably wouldn't be having this discussion, yet it would have "meant" the same thing.

I personally cannot understand why anyone would care about this. However, I certainly understand that people WOULD care about it.

huh? shoulda coulda woulda?

Roy-Will should just coach his own damn team.

This was a patronizing move, intended to be conspicuous.

Mike, who do you think he was he patronizing? The holes?

One of the callers had the only rational reason for wearing it. He was proud cause one of HIS recruits finally made it to the National Championship Game, let alone won it.

zzzzzzzzzzzzing!

killerleft
04-08-2008, 04:43 PM
I personally cannot understand why anyone would care about this. However, I certainly understand that people WOULD care about it, and would expect that Coach Williams would see the situation in a similar light. From a distance and obviously without knowing the man, it seems that Roy suffers from a desire to be liked by everyone. I don't fault him for that, but it certainly creates some interesting situations.

I agree that Roy suffers from a desire to be liked by everyone.

The whole hulabaloo might be a way for Tar Heels to transfer their pain for the big loss into anger against something that helps them forget. If so, I am against it totally:D

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-08-2008, 05:15 PM
http://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/sports/2008/04/08/2703939/2703939-1207686674-220x165.jpg

RelativeWays
04-08-2008, 05:26 PM
http://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/sports/2008/04/08/2703939/2703939-1207686674-220x165.jpg

Oh mah darlin
Oh mah darlin
Oh mah darlin Clementine
Some folks think I'm uh traitor
And that I dun cross't tha line.

SlimSlowSlider
04-08-2008, 05:34 PM
his tie on Saturday night.

When I first saw his tie, I said to myself that was reason enough for UNC to lose. Gosh it was ugly.

I concur that Roy wants to be liked by everyone. I have no problem with him staying and cheering on Kansas, but I found him wearing the sticker to be somewhat pathetic. That said, I am not worked up about it. I'll leave that to IC.

blublood
04-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Whooooaaaaa.... really a LOT of angst at Inside Carolina! (some of it even expressed in non-vulgar, correctly spelled terms) Roy, what have you done?? :D

Lavabe
04-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Oh mah darlin
Oh mah darlin
Oh mah darlin Clementine
Some folks think I'm uh traitor
And that I dun cross't tha line.

Funny ... I was thinking one of ol' Huck's sidekicks, Snagglepuss:

Exit... stage right!

Tick... tick... tick ... how long before Roy bolts to Kansas?:D

I had to stop posting last night on the DBR, as IC was in MAJOR meltdown, and I was just heaving in hysterics. dukemsu caught the beginning of it on another thread. Perhaps the IC miscarriage reference is just a wee bit hyperbolic and over the line.

I'm glad Roy didn't wear a Crimson & Blue tie. Knowing the Caro-whinea fashion curse among its basketball coaches, he'd have offended MORE people.

You know ... I haven't stopped smiling since Saturday.:D

9F Cheers,
Lavabe

Kdogg
04-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Was the sticker designed by Alexander Julian? If not, Roy has some explaining to do.

I think this whole issue is ridiculous. He was just showing support to a program he loves. I truly believe Dean basically had to drag him way from Lawrence. He has tried to mend the relationship since.

BCGroup
04-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Perspective from the Charlotte Observer
http://aboverim.blogspot.com/2008/04/roy-wants-to-be-liked-all-but-thats.html

Lavabe
04-08-2008, 06:52 PM

Moderators: this is just SCREAMING for a caption contest!:D

If Roy returns to CIS, perhaps all the Crazies need to wear a Jayhawk sticker.

This photo is too much!

Cheers,
Lavabe

Son of Mojo
04-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Sitting here finishing up my break at work but had to chime in--when I read the sing-a-long I lost it laughing. Seriously, what was he thinking? I understand that he'd want to cheer them on from some level (he was the face of their program for a long time) but like has been mentioned before, wear a colored tie & sit with their fans and cheer. Don't wear the emblem of a team that just WAXED your team less than two days prior. All I know is it's been a couple of peaceful, quiet days since Saturday. . . . . .ahhhhhhh.

jipops
04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Roy's child-like sensitivity and his intense desire to be liked by everyone, especially the KU faithful, gives way to some pretty bone-headed moves.

He obviously just can't let it go with KU. Cheering for a program where you invested 15 years of your life is one thing, but brandishing yourself with it's symbol while you're being paid millions by another university to represent theirs' eeks of sorry mixed emotions and self-questioning... and of course cries out 'Do you like me now?'

Roy has a long road ahead of him in the ACC if he's going to carry so much sensitivity around with him instead of putting on some thick skin. Good thing he's coaching a program that an entire state adores. How crazy do you think he'd go if he coached a small private university that is vehemently hated on even a national level?

freedevil
04-08-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm just glad that for Roy's sake, he was smart enough to choose a sticker to show his love for KU, and not a tattoo.

devildeac
04-08-2008, 10:58 PM
How about if someone slips a Jayhawk sticker on to his chair when unc visits CIS next season? Lots and lots of Crazies wearing Jayhawk stickers is also a classic idea. Posters of Dorothy saying to Toto, "We're not in Kansas any more" or whatever the quote is from The Wizard of Oz.

BD80
04-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Come on, Roy's out pumping up the value of the brand - Ol' Roy brand coach that is.

Scenario: OSU dumps a truckload of cash at Self, Kansas counters by offering to make Self the richest coach but still a couple million shy of OSU's offer. Self jumps.

Kansas now offers to Roy the same package it put together for Self. What does Carolina do? Roy can say has never talked to Kansas and hasn't expressed an interest - and that he would love to stay at Carolina - given the right security. The same card that Self is playing now with Kansas.

Even if Self doesn't go to OSU, seeing Roy with the Jayhawk sticker might make UNC's AD nervous enough to extend and sweeten Roy's contract.

Coach K played the Laker's interest into a new center for academic and athletic excellence for the players and the program. Other coaches simply go for the cash for themselves. I like Coach K.

ajtrublu
04-09-2008, 12:44 AM
This comment from someone on the Charlotte Observer website cracked me up:

"Kansas should use the picture as a recruiting tool. It would go like this. You can play for Roy Williams and join him in the stands for the championship game or you can come to Kansas and participate in the game."

mgtr
04-09-2008, 01:40 AM
^I love it. Are you in advertising? If not you probably ought to be.

Devilsfan
04-09-2008, 03:02 AM
Does anyone know where to buy that exact t? I want to give it as Christmas gifts to my carolina "friends".

moonpie23
04-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Pardon me ROY?...

priceless

killerleft
04-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Don't think anybody posted this: on one of the sites linked today, a poster wrote, and I paraphrase, "'Ol Roy won't drink out of a Pepsi cup at a press conference, but he'll wear a Jayhawk sticker. Kinda funny."

killerleft
04-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Stickergate has gotten so far out of hand. I think some of the Tar Heel faithful have thrown Roy under the bus to help them forget a loss that will stay with them for a while.

Not only are they doing what some say Roy did to his team by wearing the sticker and staying at the Final Four, but they apparently are gonna stomp on him and grind him up before they count themselves satisfied.

The loss hurt (Duke fans have been there), but does the coach have to be figuratively sacrificed to the gods in order to excorcize it?

Cell-R
04-09-2008, 09:22 AM
I find it funny that many carolina fans are on the verge of spontaneously combusting because they are so mad at Roy! :D Although, others call his Jayhawk Sticker "Sort of Classy". I have to argue that if I were a UNC player, I would be angry. If my coach went on to support the team that just ruined our chances of winning a national championship? The fact that he didn't ride home with the team didn't help either. I can't imagine being angry at Coach K the way they are angry at Roy. Maybe that comes with 20-30 more years of Coach K, or maybe it's a sign that even though Roy might be good, he isn't respected the way certain *other* coaches are?

brevity
04-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Stickergate originally struck me as a whole lot of nonsense, but then I wondered if Roy Williams was rooting for Kansas on Saturday night as well as Monday night. Now that's something for the Carolina faithful to worry about.

Highlander
04-09-2008, 01:10 PM
When Roy comes to Cameron this year, I would hope at least one Crazie would offer him a Kansas sticker on his way in. After all, he might want to wear it during the game, right?

Better yet, have a large group of Crazies all wear one to the game.

On that same vein, does anyone know where I could get a couple of these to give to my UNC friends?

Indoor66
04-09-2008, 01:16 PM
When Roy comes to Cameron this year, I would hope at least one Crazie would offer him a Kansas sticker on his way in. After all, he might want to wear it during the game, right?

Better yet, have a large group of Crazies all wear one to the game.

On that same vein, does anyone know where I could get a couple of these to give to my UNC friends?

Check it out here: http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store_contents.cfm?cart_id=01135070375858311611111 46707820080904&store_id=220&partner_id=14802&dept_id=5270&product_id=101079

http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store.cfm?dept_id=5270&cart_id=0113507037585831161111146707820080904&store_id=220&partner_id=14802

brevity
04-09-2008, 02:45 PM

Even better -- we could put big Kansas stickers on the coaching chairs so he doesn't even have to tape over the Duke logo. After his gifts to us these past few days, we should make him feel at home. And by "home," I mean Lawrence.

Duvall
04-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Even better -- we could put big Kansas stickers on the coaching chairs so he doesn't even have to tape over the Duke logo.

This, I think, is the way to go. There's only so much you can mock UNC for a Final Four loss, but using the Jayhawk to mark Roy's spot only seems fair.

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
I love how ridiculously out of hand this whole issue has gotten. It's quite amusing to see a Final Four season dissolve into so much turmoil for Tarheel fans.

Kornheiser was interviewing Feinstein on his radio show today and there were discussing how stupid it was for Roy to wear it. Has Sportscenter covered this yet?

killerleft
04-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Has Roy made a public comment on Stickergate yet?

weezie
04-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Has Roy made a public comment on Stickergate yet?

Other than he stuck around San Antonio to hang out with his son who flew in from England, no.

holes fans are dopey, end of discussion.

ArkieDukie
04-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Was the sticker designed by Alexander Julian? If not, Roy has some explaining to do.

I think this whole issue is ridiculous. He was just showing support to a program he loves. I truly believe Dean basically had to drag him way from Lawrence. He has tried to mend the relationship since.

I agree with the second paragraph (and got a good laugh out of the first). While at my first teaching job, I got into some minor hot water with a staff person because I wrote a letter of support for my undergrad advisor, who was a CASE Prof of the Year nominee. Unfortunately my undergrad institution was a competitor of the school I worked for, and one of my colleagues was also nominated (and ultimately won). In my case, the person I was writing the letter for recommended me for the job I had. In fact, he recommended me for the job and then called me and told me to apply. That's not a gesture I take lightly. I was at that particular institution, in good part, because of the person I wrote the letter for. It wasn't a simple case of writing a letter of support for someone at a competing institution.

I think Ole Roy's situation is somewhat similar. Sure, he works for the whiners now, but he was at Kansas for a long time. They gave him his first shot at a head coaching job. Chances are, he wouldn't be head coach for the whiners now if not for his accomplishments at Kansas. Putting myself in his shoes for a second, I think that the sticker was his way of acknowledging that fact. Granted, I think he could've done things differently, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt on the sentiment.

With that being said, I do think it would be classic if everyone in Cameron wore a Jayhawk stickers for the next UNC game.

Bluedawg
04-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Don't be angry at Williams (http://www.newsobserver.com/769/story/1030343.html) or so says Caulton Tudor, N&O Staff Writer

That said, Williams certainly meant no disrespect for Carolina by displaying the sticker. The guy simply was wearing his emotions on his shirt. That's who he is. It's the way he lives. Williams isn't kidding when he frequently describes himself as being "as corny as all get-out." A part of his heart will always be rooted in those Kansas wheat fields. He spent 15 years coaching KU teams and probably would still be there had it not been for Carolina's calling through the voice of Dean Smith.

It may be easy to forget now, but when Williams took over in 2003-04, Carolina basketball was in a bad way. There was plenty of talent, but the link to past greatness had been broken. Player morale was low, Duke was only two years removed from its third national championship run and Wake Forest was coming off a 25-6 season.

Carolina fans are just as fortunate to have Williams in control of their basketball program today as they were a week ago. He didn't do a good job on Saturday, but that doesn't change the fact that he's still one of the best coaches in the sport.

yet this article says that Williams stays for son, (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/unc/story/1030354.html) and that "Supporting Kansas wasn't main reason"

Some Tar Heels fans were dismayed to see a Jayhawks sticker on Roy Williams' black shirt as he watched Kansas defeat Memphis to win the national championship here on Monday night.

But supporting Kansas wasn't the main reason Williams stayed in town rather than returning home with the UNC team.

"I'm staying here for the game, if you want to say it that way,'' he said Sunday night, "but the bottom line is that my son came from London and couldn't get out till Tuesday, so I wasn't going to leave him in San Antonio by himself."

Do the two articles match?