PDA

View Full Version : LSU Head Coaching Search

matrix1686
04-09-2008, 11:25 AM
With Alleva on-board does anybody think they will look at a Duke assistant like Wojo or Collins?

I read where they have been rejected by Tony Bennett, Oliver Purnell, and Travis Ford. I also think the article mentioned VCU coach Anthony Grant but that he had not be contacted.

I would think Grant would be a great hire, but you also would think that with Alleva being around the Duke program for so long he would try to fill LSU's spot with a Duke coach since obviously our program is among the best around and he has personal experience with it.

Does anybody else see Alleva going after Collins or Wojo?

Channing
04-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Regarding Anthony Grant - I have a feeling he could be on the move this offseason. If Bill Self turns down OSU, I have heard they are going to go after Gillespie and throw buckets of money at him. If he leaves UK, I think UK makes another run at Donovan. Now that Donovan isnt coming off back to back championships anymore, I think he may move, leading UF to go after Grant.

As an aside - regarding Bill Self. I have been VERY impressed with how he has handled himself. There have been a few coaches who engaged in double talk (i.e. Nick Saban), and after they moved, it just generally left a sour taste. Self has been candid, honest, and up front and has not said anything that will leave him with his foot in his mouth.

brevity
04-09-2008, 11:40 AM
If Bill Self turns down OSU, I have heard they are going to go after Gillespie and throw buckets of money at him. If he leaves UK, I think UK makes another run at Donovan. Now that Donovan isnt coming off back to back championships anymore, I think he may move, leading UF to go after Grant.

While the domino effect is always interesting, I don't see a number of these moves happening. Though it would be funny if Bill Self left for Oklahoma State, and Kansas pursued Matt Doherty...

Anthony Grant's stock certainly hasn't gone up since the last offseason, but it really hasn't gone down either. Seems like he's been mentioned on many a shortlist. He has some familiarity with SEC basketball, so LSU would be a good next step for him.

crote
04-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Donovan is still the coaching hotness in the SEC. Arkansas went with a former Billy D assistant when they hired John Pelphrey, largely on the strength of his association with Donovan. Given that, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Grant get an offer from the Tigers.

If the Alleva connection does go into play in the hiring process, I think Wojo or Collins could do a lot worse than LSU. With apologies to Tulane and some Sun Belt schools, LSU is the only real instate option for top talent, and Louisiana is pretty good at producing talent. You also have the resources of a big time athletic department with the relative lack of scrutiny of being a basketball coach at a football school. Also, the competition in the SEC West isn't that bad, with Arkansas and Mississippi state being the toughest intradivision foes to deal with. Not a bad gig at all.

Charles Wicker
04-09-2008, 12:25 PM
They have'nt proved themselves. They've never been a head coach, nor have shown any strong interest in pursuing other jobs at smaller, mid-major schools, where they learn how to lead a program, and develop credibility as a coach.
They need to crawl a bit before they start trying to lead major college programs. Most programs looking at former Duke players, or coaches, do so because of the persons association with K and Duke University, IMHO. I belive Wojo and Collins can be successful, but they've got to get out there and work for it. K did.

acciconoclast
04-09-2008, 01:18 PM
http://wgso.com/content/view/5818/40/

pratt '04
04-09-2008, 01:20 PM
According to WGSO in Louisiana, LSU is set to hire Stanford head coach Trent Johnson. Here's the link (http://wgso.com/content/view/5818/40/).

crote
04-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Wow. That seems like a downgrade for Johnson. Either LSU is throwing some serious change in his direction, or all is not well in Palo Alto.

So who does Stanford hire?

matrix1686
04-09-2008, 02:44 PM
I'd say LSU is offering Johnson more money, but also don't forget that both the Lopez twins are leaving. I think that Johnson was starting to catch criticism at Stanford until he landed the Lopez twins. So maybe Johnson is trying to get out so he doesn't get fired if Stanford doesn't do great the next few seasons which is very possible since he's losing both twins.

brevity
04-09-2008, 03:01 PM
It's now on ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3338164

Interesting hire. I'm glad Joe Alleva (if he had anything to do with this) kept an eye on diversity. I know there are all sorts of factors that go into the hiring process, but the SEC has been slow to embrace black coaches for big-budget sports.

I'd say LSU is offering Johnson more money, but also don't forget that both the Lopez twins are leaving. I think that Johnson was starting to catch criticism at Stanford until he landed the Lopez twins. So maybe Johnson is trying to get out so he doesn't get fired if Stanford doesn't do great the next few seasons which is very possible since he's losing both twins.

This was a good time to leave, I think. Stanford's going to slip a bit next season, and the pressure would have turned up. From Trent Johnson's perspective, maybe LSU basketball will offer lower expectations. Not sure if he's the right fit, though, having no Southern ties.

BamaBlueDevil
04-09-2008, 03:06 PM
So, Mike Montgomery bides his time hoping to return to Stanford (even working as some sort of consultant)...Then, he gives up hope and takes the job with the Cardinal's chief rival, Cal....Then, Trent Johnson leaves for LSU. Coaching is a trip, man!

jmb
04-09-2008, 09:06 PM
interesting that duke has never hired a black coach in any sport (if i remember the run-up to cut's hiring correctly), but the first hire of alleva's tenure (though it is unknown at this point how significant a role he played) at LSU is trent johnson

phaedrus
04-09-2008, 09:19 PM
interesting that duke has never hired a black coach in any sport (if i remember the run-up to cut's hiring correctly), but the first hire of alleva's tenure (though it is unknown at this point how significant a role he played) at LSU is trent johnson

maybe johnson was hired because he was the best choice, and not because he's black, while duke's coaches were hired because they were the best choices, and not because they're white? i don't know, just a thought.

pfrduke
04-09-2008, 10:51 PM
say what you will about Alleva, but his last two coaching hires (Cutcliffe, Trent Johnson) seem like home runs (at least looking forward).

Bluedawg
04-10-2008, 12:03 AM
say what you will about Alleva, but his last two coaching hires (Cutcliffe, Trent Johnson) seem like home runs (at least looking forward).

The unofficial announcement of Joe's hiring was on Friday 4/4 and this news broke on Wednesday 4/9. 5 days to pack up an office, move to LSU and unpack all while putting this deal together.

I don't really think it was Joe's hire. Joe coming may have been an influence and a factor but I can't see where the time table indicates that he made the hire.

pfrduke
04-10-2008, 12:13 AM
The unofficial announcement of Joe's hiring was on Friday 4/4 and this news broke on Wednesday 4/9. 5 days to pack up an office, move to LSU and unpack all while putting this deal together.

I don't really think it was Joe's hire. Joe coming may have been an influence and a factor but I can't see where the time table indicates that he made the hire.

I have to imagine they at least pulled him in. When he was hired, it was apparent they needed a basketball coach. This was probably item #s 1, 2, and 3 on his punchlist. He may not be solely responsible, but he had to have had at the very least an up or down vote, and it would not surprise me to learn that Alleva interviewed Johnson (and whoever the other finalists were). Also, FWIW, given Johnson going deep in the tourney with Stanford, there was only a week between the time Stanford lost and the time Alleva got hired. So not much more time pre-Alleva than post-Alleva.

Indoor66
04-10-2008, 09:44 AM
It would be hard to believe that LSU would hire a new AD and then not have him intimately involved in the hiring of a new basketball coach. In this day and time, with private jets, etc., there is plenty of time between 4/4 and 4/9 for Joe to have interviewed Johnson, met with LSU officials and participated in the final decision. He doesn't have to move and set up shop in order to interview prospective candidates and attend meetings in Baton Rouge!

DangerDevil
04-10-2008, 05:32 PM
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/17481189.html