PDA

View Full Version : Staying 4 years

NYC Duke Fan
04-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Can anyone remember in recent years any All Americans staying for their fourth year because they wanted to win a National Championship and then not winning it. I know that Williams and Redick did but were there any others.

Bluedog
04-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Glen Davis stayed for his third year after being SEC player of the year and second team All American his sophomore season (and reaching the Final Four). But with Tyrus Thomas leaving, LSU was terrible and his stock definitely dropped. I'm sure there are others that stayed for their fourth year in hopes of a national title.

blazindw
04-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Roy Hibbert (although I'm not sure if he was a first-teamer last year)

CDu
04-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Can anyone remember in recent years any All Americans staying for their fourth year because they wanted to win a National Championship and then not winning it. I know that Williams and Redick did but were there any others.

Roy Hibbert is one example from this year. I'm not sure if he was an All-American last year, but he was a sure-fire lottery pick had he gone last year. And as you mentioned, Williams and Redick.

ugadevil
04-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Did Collison & Hinrich stay all 4 years? Not sure if either of them were All-Americans the previous year?

CDu
04-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Did Collison & Hinrich stay all 4 years? Not sure if either of them were All-Americans the previous year?

They did stay all four years. I do not believe that Hinrias a junior. Collison might have been, but I'm not sure.

weezie
04-09-2008, 05:21 PM
NYCDukefan, did you start this thread in hopes of Tbangs seeing it? :)

keithg
04-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Ralph Sampson....could have left in 1982 (or 1981 for that matter), been the #1 pick of the Lakers instead of Worthy.

Of course, declaring early wasn't very common then....

Channing
04-09-2008, 05:42 PM
J - Wil could have left after his soph season and probably been the number 1 pick in the draft. He didnt come back to win a championship (he already had that). I think he came back to finish his degree.

NYC Duke Fan
04-09-2008, 07:35 PM
NYCDukefan, did you start this thread in hopes of Tbangs seeing it? :)

Yes Indeed

greybeard
04-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Roy Hibbert (although I'm not sure if he was a first-teamer last year)

Hibbert did not stay to win a national championship. He stayed because that is what Georgetwon centers do. What does a 7'2" man do with his life without a degree outside of basketball. His three predecessors were presidents of the NBA players association (patrick and alonzo) and the big african is making an impact on the world. Hibbert is an extremely intelligent and thoughtful young man. He stayed to enjoy his last year in college and get a degree. Period.

dukediv2013
04-10-2008, 11:26 AM
J - Wil could have left after his soph season and probably been the number 1 pick in the draft. He didnt come back to win a championship (he already had that). I think he came back to finish his degree.

J Wil did not come back to finish his degree... he just GRADUATED in THREE years! Jason Williams will forever be my favorite player at Duke. He is what Duke is all about!

pfrduke
04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
J Wil did not come back to finish his degree... he just GRADUATED in THREE years! Jason Williams will forever be my favorite player at Duke. He is what Duke is all about!

I think you missed the point of the earlier post. He did not leave after 2001 so he could come back and finish his degree, which had been designed as a three-year process from the start, so that he could leave after 2002 with a degree.

blazindw
04-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Hibbert did not stay to win a national championship. He stayed because that is what Georgetwon centers do. What does a 7'2" man do with his life without a degree outside of basketball. His three predecessors were presidents of the NBA players association (patrick and alonzo) and the big african is making an impact on the world. Hibbert is an extremely intelligent and thoughtful young man. He stayed to enjoy his last year in college and get a degree. Period.

That all may be true, but you don't think that trying to get a national championship wasn't a factor as well? It's not like they were terrible last year, they made the Final Four. While he also wanted to get his degree, I think you're fooling yourself if you don't think part of his reasoning was to try and get over that hump and bring a national championship back to Georgetown.

greybeard
04-10-2008, 04:19 PM
That all may be true, but you don't think that trying to get a national championship wasn't a factor as well? It's not like they were terrible last year, they made the Final Four. While he also wanted to get his degree, I think you're fooling yourself if you don't think part of his reasoning was to try and get over that hump and bring a national championship back to Georgetown.

I think that anyone who passes up the chance at getting paid at least a million dollars even in part on the remote possibility (no matter how good a team might be it is still no more than a remote possibility) of winning a national championship is an idiot. I think that Hibbert is a smart young man, a very smart young man. His basketball aspirations were to improve under JTIII as he had the previous 3 years and to have his team succeed as much as possible, with the goal being to win a national championship.

If Hibbert didn't think that he had much more to learn under JTIII, even hard lessons, he would not have returned. That was part of his education. In the main, however, I'll stay with what I believe animated his decision. He wanted to graduate and to enjoy being a college star in his senior year in a school that he entered as a very shy, uncoordinated young man. A championship would have been nice, icing on the cake.

Edouble
04-10-2008, 05:25 PM
I think that anyone who passes up the chance at getting paid at least a million dollars even in part on the remote possibility (no matter how good a team might be it is still no more than a remote possibility) of winning a national championship is an idiot.

That's a long list of idiots. I especially don't like Grant Hill being on that list.

greybeard
04-10-2008, 05:33 PM
That's a long list of idiots. I especially don't like Grant Hill being on that list.

With his lineage, Grant was not leaving Duke without a degree. You can take his name off your list. That said, I needn't have been so pendantic in my statement. Hibbert did not return to Georgetown for his senior year to win a Championship. He returned for other reasons. He tried like heck to win a Championship, and am sure would have treasured it had his team succeeded.