PDA

View Full Version : UNC Fans Harassed KU Fan on Flight

Onlyduke
04-08-2008, 06:01 PM
The following letter appeared in today's Charlotte Observer from a woman in Overland Park, Kansas:

"I was appalled to hear of the harassment my daughter received at the hands of drunken Tar Heel fans on her flight to San Antonio -- all for daring to wear her Kansas Jayhawk sweatshirt. Both my daughters live in Charlotte, so I knew UNC fans were rabid, but I'd never have expected such trashy behavior toward a woman traveling alone. The insults -- from men and women alike -- were so intense a flight attendant had to step in and threaten to land the plane to eject the guilty parties. Badly done, UNC faithful. This was no way to represent your university.

JasonEvans
04-08-2008, 06:27 PM
The following letter appeared in today's Charlotte Observer from a woman in Overland Park, Kansas:

"I was appalled to hear of the harassment my daughter received at the hands of drunken Tar Heel fans on her flight to San Antonio -- all for daring to wear her Kansas Jayhawk sweatshirt. Both my daughters live in Charlotte, so I knew UNC fans were rabid, but I'd never have expected such trashy behavior toward a woman traveling alone. The insults -- from men and women alike -- were so intense a flight attendant had to step in and threaten to land the plane to eject the guilty parties. Badly done, UNC faithful. This was no way to represent your university.

I think any of us who have walked through Chapel Hill wearing a Duke hat are not even remotely surprised at this.

-Jason "I know several Dukies who say their children are routinely harrassed by teachers at school who back Carolina -- shameful!" Evans

Lavabe
04-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I think any of us who have walked through Chapel Hill wearing a Duke hat are not even remotely surprised at this.

-Jason "I know several Dukies who say their children are routinely harrassed by teachers at school who back Carolina -- shameful!" Evans

My then nine-year-old (from Georgia) attended a summer day camp in Mebane. After being asked whom she supported, she was then harrassed all weeklong by the 99% Carolina campmates, and the camp teacher/leader did nothing to stop it.

My daughter now loathes Carolina in every which way.

Jason: Shameful yes, but unfortunately, it's now just a part of the culture.

Unfortunately, I saw the title of the thread and thought: yeah, what else is new?

No cheers,
Lavabe

CrazyCat
04-08-2008, 07:17 PM
My nine year old niece loves to wear her Duke shirt to school, but really gets harrassed. My 5 year old niece doesn't understand yet why people are so mean when she wears hers. They are both proud to be Duke fans. It is very upsetting to hear about such low class people harrassing anyone like that. Save it for the games, Geez.

hc5duke
04-08-2008, 07:25 PM

Or wearing GTHC shirt at the Dean Dome :cool:

gvtucker
04-08-2008, 07:45 PM
I've worn Duke gear all over the place in the Triangle, including all over Chapel Hill. I've never been harrassed. I've received some good-natured ribbing, and dished some out, too, but I've never felt threatened in the least.

My kids wear Duke stuff all the time to school. One of my boys regularly talks trash with his PE teacher, a Carolina fan. The teacher has never made him feel uneasy about this exchange. My oldest claims that about 90% of his school is made up of Carolina fans. Again, I don't think he's ever been hassled about this.

I don't deny that this has happened to others; obviously it happens, otherwise we wouldn't hear about it so much. But for whatever reason, it hasn't happened to me.

Son of Mojo
04-08-2008, 07:57 PM
It's definitely shameful but, really, where's the surprise? About 2 weeks ago I'm walking around here (work) and some guy I've never see before in my life is working in an area and see's me wearing one of my many Duke hats. . .which inspires him to yell out "woooooooo!!! carolina--how 'bout them heels?!?!?" I kept walking and didn't say a word as this guy who's about 50 feet away kept yelling the same thing for no reason. I think there's something in their genes. . .a year ago something similar happened when someone on another floor above me looked down and saw the hat I had on and yelled the same thing (but a different person). My witty retort then was "I don't know--they still suck?" :rolleyes:

DueBlevil
04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
The moral of this story is who got the last laugh. When Kansas embarrassed UNC in the actual game, it made all those obnoxious Carolina fans look like idiots. I'll gladly take abuse from Tar Heels if it means we're beating them.

BoC
04-08-2008, 10:10 PM

It doesn't even have to be in Chapel Hell; my favorite personal story...

Back in the early '90's I had a dark blue Trans AM. For Duke's Final Four appearances '90-'92, I'd take one of those bottles of white shoe polish (with the angled sponge applicator) and write Duke-related slogans all over my car. Well, after one of the Championship victories (I forget which one) I was driving IN DURHAM one day and stopped at a light next to South Square mall.

The windows were down and the T-tops were off as it was such a nice day, and as I looked around I happened to look at the car stopped at the opposite turn lane as the very angry driver shouted at me to "wash that s*** off your car!" I heard him clearly across that fairly wide open intersection, and man was he PO'd. I only gave a little smile because I thought that, if I dared to laugh openly at him, he might floor it through the red light and ram me.

True story.

devildeac
04-08-2008, 11:02 PM

As has been outlined previously:

U-niversity of
N-o
C-lass

blublood
04-09-2008, 10:27 AM
A few years ago at our university, we had this obnoxious little brat writing for the sports section who *hated* Duke. He wasn't actually a Heels fan and he lived in California, so I'm not quite sure what his issue was. However to give you some idea of his attainment in critical thinking skills, he wrote an entire column ranting on about how it was unfair that Duke got the #1 seed because Duke always gets the #1 seed because that stupid ol' Coach K gets more respect than he should! Yeah, I guess it didn't have anything at all to do with the fact that Duke was ranked #2 or 3 in the nation at the time.

In any case, the day before the Carolina game, I printed out a sign that said, "Go Duke! Beat UNC!" because if it had said, "go to hell, Carolina" I would have gotten in trouble. Everybody laughed, wished me luck, all's cool.

Well, that game was the infamous one (it may even have been JJ's senior night... can't remember now) where our guys went to pieces and Carolina came away with a resounding victory in Cameron. So the next day I come in kinda bummed, and what should I see but clever slogans written all over my poster! Things like, "JJ sucks" and "Duke wears panties."

Let's just say that it sure was a shame the next week when the sports kid's paycheck had this weird error in it and it took 4-5 weeks to fix.

moonpie23
04-09-2008, 10:37 AM
reference my post :
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=127168#post127168

the arrogance shown by tarholes is only approached by the clemson kitty-kats.

my son and i wear our duke gear often.....we take the harrassment often.

bring it.

TillyGalore
04-09-2008, 10:37 AM
A few years ago at our university, we had this obnoxious little brat writing for the sports section who *hated* Duke. He wasn't actually a Heels fan and he lived in California, so I'm not quite sure what his issue was. However to give you some idea of his attainment in critical thinking skills, he wrote an entire column ranting on about how it was unfair that Duke got the #1 seed because Duke always gets the #1 seed because that stupid ol' Coach K gets more respect than he should! Yeah, I guess it didn't have anything at all to do with the fact that Duke was ranked #2 or 3 in the nation at the time.

In any case, the day before the Carolina game, I printed out a sign that said, "Go Duke! Beat UNC!" because if it had said, "go to hell, Carolina" I would have gotten in trouble. Everybody laughed, wished me luck, all's cool.

Well, that game was the infamous one (it may even have been JJ's senior night... can't remember now) where our guys went to pieces and Carolina came away with a resounding victory in Cameron. So the next day I come in kinda bummed, and what should I see but clever slogans written all over my poster! Things like, "JJ sucks" and "Duke wears panties."

Let's just say that it sure was a shame the next week when the sports kid's paycheck had this weird error in it and it took 4-5 weeks to fix.

Blublood - YOU ARE MY HERO!!!

A few years ago - can't remember exactly how long ago, but it was early Roy era at UNC - one of the guys I worked with covered my desk with bad pics of Coach K prior to a Duke/UNC game. Ticked me off! But we won the game and I smiled all day the next day, did not mention one little word to him about his teams collapse.

Edouble
04-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I've worn Duke gear all over the place in the Triangle, including all over Chapel Hill. I've never been harrassed. I've received some good-natured ribbing, and dished some out, too, but I've never felt threatened in the least.

Yeah, I've never been harrassed for wearing Duke gear either. I wonder if physical size has anything to do with it? I am 6'2", 190lbs., which is not huge, but I am bigger than 90% of the people I meet. I've definitely gotten looks from people, but noone ever says anything.

I've definitely dished some trash talk out to people wearing UNC gear, but it's pretty much only during the week or so leading up to the Duke-UNC game, something along the lines of "Who's gonna guard Henderson, you guys can't even handle Maryland," or "Is Coda gonna lose a few pounds before the game, because I don't know how he's gonna keep up with Avery". I try to make it somewhat witty, and I never just hoot and yell and make animal noises at people. I certainly never say anything that could be interpritted as threatening.

Classof06
04-09-2008, 11:09 AM

Yeah, I fail to see any new development or surprise here. It is pretty pathetic that they did it on a plane where the poor girl had nowhere to go, but alas, look at who were talking about here.

Duke fans aren't perfect and we all know that. But I have a hard time believing that would ever happen on a plane full of Duke fans. It just wouldn't.

aheel4ever
04-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I fail to see any new development or surprise here. It is pretty pathetic that they did it on a plane where the poor girl had nowhere to go, but alas, look at who were talking about here.

Duke fans aren't perfect and we all know that. But I have a hard time believing that would ever happen on a plane full of Duke fans. It just wouldn't.

I think you're kidding yourself.

allenmurray
04-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Or wearing GTHC shirt at the Dean Dome :cool:

I think there is a diffrenece between adult Duke supporters choosing to wear a GTHC shirt to the Dean Dome, where they know they will be harassed for it, and a 9 year old being harassed at school or camp and a teacher not stopping it.

TillyGalore
04-09-2008, 11:28 AM

Example please.

bird
04-09-2008, 11:37 AM
I really don't have a problem with UNC's players or coaches. Shoot, the programs are mirrors of each other in a lot ways. But the fans, yeah, I have a big problem with UNC's fans. I have met maybe one UNC fan EVER who was not obnoxious about their team and Duke.

My daughter has been given a hard time all year in one of her high school classes by an anti-Duke, UNC-loving teacher. No problem - her average is 99. And she is having ABC driven into her bones.

aheel4ever
04-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Example please.

Well, I was born and raised in Durham, and have spent a good deal of my life around Duke fans. If you don't think that there are any Duke fans capable of poor behavior, you're kidding yourself. That's my point.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aheel4ever

Example please.

EXAMPLE...please.

Love, Ima

Classof06
04-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, I was born and raised in Durham, and have spent a good deal of my life around Duke fans. If you don't think that there are any Duke fans capable of poor behavior, you're kidding yourself. That's my point.

My point is that there is a difference between poor behavior and drunk fans accosting a woman travelling by herself on an airplane of all places, where she's stuck and there's absolutely nowhere she can escape to. Over basketball? Really? This obviously wasn't good-natured teasing; how many times have you (in person) seen a flight attendant threaten to land the plane!? I've been on hundreds of flights and can't say I have.

Like I said, Duke fans aren't perfect; I never said they were and many of us are far from it. But I can honestly say I wasn't surprised when I heard UNC fans did this. And I don't think I'm the only one that can say that.

I really don't have a problem with UNC's players or coaches. Shoot, the programs are mirrors of each other in a lot ways. But the fans, yeah, I have a big problem with UNC's fans. I have met maybe one UNC fan EVER who was not obnoxious about their team and Duke.

My daughter has been given a hard time all year in one of her high school classes by an anti-Duke, UNC-loving teacher. No problem - her average is 99. And she is having ABC driven into her bones.

Agreed. I would say over 95% of my hate for UNC is due directly to their fanbase. After a while, I realized it wasn't just a few select fans giving the rest of you guys a bad name; a good most of you are insane as far as basketball is concerned. I'm sure you might be upstanding citizens in most areas of your life but not when it comes to being basketball fans. Just my $0.02..

aheel4ever
04-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm sorry that I can't recall the specific date. However, I can assure you that I personally during my childhood incurred more than one instance where I was "harassed" by adult Duke fans. Now, it's true that I haven't witnessed such behavior on an airplane, so you might have me there.

I believe the post that I originally responded to states that a plane full of Duke fans are incapable of poor behavior toward a child fan of a rival. I believe the quote was "It just wouldn't happen." If you think otherwise, just keep on living that dream; I won't be able to change your mind.

Edouble
04-09-2008, 12:56 PM
I would say over 95% of my hate for UNC is due directly to their fanbase.

Wow. Rashad McCants, Danny Green, and Jeff McGinnis don't even add up to 10%?

Classof06
04-09-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm sorry that I can't recall the specific date. However, I can assure you that I personally during my childhood incurred more than one instance where I was "harassed" by adult Duke fans. Now, it's true that I haven't witnessed such behavior on an airplane, so you might have me there.

I believe the post that I originally responded to states that a plane full of Duke fans are incapable of poor behavior toward a child fan of a rival. I believe the quote was "It just wouldn't happen." If you think otherwise, just keep on living that dream; I won't be able to change your mind.

I don't think Duke fans represent all that's right with the world, but I just don't see that incident happening with fans from any other schools except UNC and Kentucky. Just one man's opinion..

TillyGalore
04-09-2008, 01:39 PM
aheel4ever,
I have lived up and down the east coast. Never have I seen such unsportsmenlike behavior as I have seen from Heels fans, and I lived in Red Sox nation and Yankee country. Both of which are rivals to my O's.

As I noted above a Heel fan decorated my desk with tasteless pictures of Coach K, I have seen inappropriate things hung in the work place bashing Duke by Heel fans, and I work at Duke. Never have I seen a Duke fan do the same thing.

The class of young people I teach at church are anything but Duke fans, and yet it is the Heel fans that are rudest. I do not laud victories over anyone, as what goes around comes around. Thus when WE beat YOU in February, I kept my mouth shut, didn't say a word about it. But when you beat us they couldn't get enough razzing in, which I quickly nipped in the bud reminding them they were being poor winners.

You may think we are all wearing rose colored glasses, and there may be some truth to that. And, I'm sure there are some obnoxious Duke fans out there, but they do not compare to the Heel fans we have all encountered. Perhaps you may be the exception to that.

moonpie23
04-09-2008, 01:56 PM

show your work.

Salty Breezes
04-09-2008, 02:00 PM

Where are you going to find a plane full of Duke fans?

aheel4ever
04-09-2008, 02:02 PM
aheel4ever,
You may think we are all wearing rose colored glasses, and there may be some truth to that. And, I'm sure there are some obnoxious Duke fans out there, but they do not compare to the Heel fans we have all encountered. Perhaps you may be the exception to that.

Well, we see things through our own eyes, and often see the same things differently. But, yes, I believe there are plenty of Duke fans just as bad as the Heel fans you have all encountered, and those who believe otherwise are indeed wearing rose colored glasses.

DukieInKansas
04-09-2008, 02:02 PM
If the following is considered harassing, then I am the Duke fan he is talking about: If I see someone wearing UNC apparel, I will often teasingly (I hope) comment on the ugly shirt or hat. I am usually quick to point out that I support a deeper shade of blue, we laugh, and go our seperate ways. If that is harassing, please let me know and I will stop immediately.

SilkyJ
04-09-2008, 02:12 PM
my son and i wear our duke gear often.....we take the harrassment often.

bring it.

WORD. Me and pops do the same thing. Bring the ruckus.

Ah yes, the dream. Thank goodness we you to bring us back down to reality with your predictive powers that tell us what will/would happen in a future hypothetical.

Where are you going to find a plane full of Duke fans?

On a private Jumbo-Jet :D

(come on, someone has to find that aweful pun funny)

duke74
04-09-2008, 02:16 PM
If the following is considered harassing, then I am the Duke fan he is talking about: If I see someone wearing UNC apparel, I will often teasingly (I hope) comment on the ugly shirt or hat. I am usually quick to point out that I support a deeper shade of blue, we laugh, and go our seperate ways. If that is harassing, please let me know and I will stop immediately.

Great post. Seriously, in fairness to UNC fans, perhaps because I live in NYC the intensity is dialed down, but I have worked with a number of UNC grads at my firm. Our teasing was nonstop, but never rose to the level that I am reading on this thread. Again, perhaps it's because of the geography (the 500 miles distance).

Or, without sounding elitest, maybe it's because of the nature and training of folks working at a client-service firm, where from the first year as a staff accountant you are taught to respect/put up with different client types and personalities...

Now about those Braves fans..... :-)

SMO
04-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't think Duke fans represent all that's right with the world, but I just don't see that incident happening with fans from any other schools except UNC and Kentucky. Just one man's opinion..

MARYLAND TOO!

blublood
04-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Blublood - YOU ARE MY HERO!!!

A few years ago - can't remember exactly how long ago, but it was early Roy era at UNC - one of the guys I worked with covered my desk with bad pics of Coach K prior to a Duke/UNC game. Ticked me off! But we won the game and I smiled all day the next day, did not mention one little word to him about his teams collapse.

I beg to differ, Tilly - you are clearly a far more mature adult than I! :D

O.k., back to the regularly scheduled debate about whose fans are worse... (it's clearly UNC's, especially because it seems that most of their "fans" have no connection whatsoever to Carolina and are over-compensating, but that's no reason to squelch discussion)

TillyGalore
04-09-2008, 02:33 PM
I beg to differ, Tilly - you are clearly a far more mature adult than I! :D

Well that ruined my day.:eek: I hate being the "M" word. But don't have the guts to do what you did. Thus, you are my hero.

brevity
04-09-2008, 02:39 PM

Let's be clear. The story that started this whole thread was about a Kansas fan who was an adult woman (emphasis below is mine):

I'd like to think that UNC fans -- even drunk ones -- would show better discretion toward a child traveling alone. Like everyone else here, I don't know the extent of the harassment, but I'd imagine it goes beyond the level of good-natured teasing, or even bad-natured teasing.

Duke fans think UNC fans are obnoxious, and vice versa. (By sheer numbers, there are more UNC fans, which may account for the negative experiences of the people on this board.) I think there are an unfortunate few on each side that go overboard. (Again, by sheer percentages, this means more UNC fans go overboard.) But I think it's shortsighted and phony for us to pretend that Duke fans are better than anyone else. There may have been a time when that was true, but it's long gone.

(Where I'm coming from: I'm a Duke alum in Las Vegas, where people are still a bit sore about 1991. But even before I came here I didn't wear Duke merchandise because, frankly, I don't need the headache.)

blazindw
04-09-2008, 03:01 PM
MARYLAND TOO!

Speaking of Maryland, up here in DC, a lady at Giant (a local grocery store chain) refused to check me out because I was wearing a Duke warmup and cap. She was like "I'm not checking you out, I hate Duke. Go Terps." She had someone else come to ring me up, but I had to stand there and wait about 5 minutes before someone would come. This was also back in the fall, well before ACC season had arrived. Now, UNC fans can be downright nasty, but I've never been refused service from a UNC fan because I'm a Duke fan.

aimo
04-09-2008, 03:05 PM

Not sure I've ever told this story before . . .

When I was in 4th grade, my teacher was a DIEHARD tarhole. At the first Duke/UNC matchup that schoolyear, could have been football or basketball, UNC won, and she came in and (knowing my family's love for Duke) starting razzing me, "What happened to Duuukkkke?!?!?!?" Naturally, not so long afterwards, when Duke beat UNC in basketball, I mistakenly assumed that I had equal rights. I marched into class with my Duke shirt on and asked, "What happened to Caroliiiiiinnaaaaa?!?!?!?"

She sent me out into the hall. For a long time. Later, she apologized to me saying it was unfair for her to have taken her disappointment out on me when I had only acted as she had. I think I would have rather been sent out into the hall again.

Can't imagine why I hate carolina fans. By the way, I have had several people, some both non-Duke and non-UNC, say that the tarhole fans have been especially obnoxious this year. Makes last weekend even sweeter. I do not razz them. I torture them making them sweat it out, waiting for the moment when I'm going to come down on them. But I don't, and it drives them crazy!!!

DukeDevil
04-09-2008, 03:24 PM
On a private Jumbo-Jet :D

Nice, I approve.

That being said, I think it all comes down to numbers. I think every fan base has the jerks, but UNC being a public school with much greater numbers, has greater numbers of jerks. I think it's the same thing that leads to the "ugly girls at Duke" myth. It's just that UNC has so many more students, given the same percentages, they have a greater number of "hot" girls and guys. In addition, as it is the public school, a greater number of people unconnected to the school (ie: not alums, undergrads, children of alums, etc etc) end up supporting the school, further increasing the numbers and number of jerks.

Referencing an earlier post, I too am 6'1 and 190, so maybe people are less inclined to get in my face.

Mike Corey
04-09-2008, 03:48 PM

When I was in 4th grade, my teacher was a DIEHARD tarhole. At the first Duke/UNC matchup that schoolyear, could have been football or basketball, UNC won, and she came in and (knowing my family's love for Duke) starting razzing me, "What happened to Duuukkkke?!?!?!?" Naturally, not so long afterwards, when Duke beat UNC in basketball, I mistakenly assumed that I had equal rights. I marched into class with my Duke shirt on and asked, "What happened to Caroliiiiiinnaaaaa?!?!?!?"

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r22/Coreyo34/n1302137_31471997_4863.jpg

bhd28
04-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Nice, I approve.

That being said, I think it all comes down to numbers. I think every fan base has the jerks, but UNC being a public school with much greater numbers, has greater numbers of jerks. I think it's the same thing that leads to the "ugly girls at Duke" myth. It's just that UNC has so many more students, given the same percentages, they have a greater number of "hot" girls and guys. In addition, as it is the public school, a greater number of people unconnected to the school (ie: not alums, undergrads, children of alums, etc etc) end up supporting the school, further increasing the numbers and number of jerks.

Referencing an earlier post, I too am 6'1 and 190, so maybe people are less inclined to get in my face.

It is not only the number of students. Since UNC is a state university, a large number of people (especially in NC) with no real affiliation to any university are big UNC fans. With Duke, that is much more rare. An unfortunate truth is that the more educated people are, the more tolerant they tend to be (obviously it isn't always the case... but it does seem to trend in my experience). Thus it is possible that a state school would have a greater percentage of "rowdy" fans. Add in that NC hasn't had any real long-standing pro sports team (the Panthers, Canes, and Hornets/Bobcats are rather recent additions), and a lot of... shall we say "light blue neck" fans exist... particularly in some of the more rural areas of the state (where my father, who was driving up for my graduation, got harrassed a couple of times while stopping for food/gas). I know several UNC grads from business/grad school who aren't "bad" fans by any stretch of the imagination.

Okay, Mike, that pic is awsome!

stals
04-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Maryland fans...going to the Final 4 in MN...2001

Classof06
04-09-2008, 04:05 PM
MARYLAND TOO!

I could see Maryland following suit but only if the fan was a Duke fan.

rsvman
04-09-2008, 04:07 PM
In my experience, Maryland fans are worse.

aheel4ever
04-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Let's be clear. The story that started this whole thread was about a Kansas fan who was an adult woman (emphasis below is mine):

Duke fans think UNC fans are obnoxious, and vice versa. (By sheer numbers, there are more UNC fans, which may account for the negative experiences of the people on this board.) I think there are an unfortunate few on each side that go overboard. (Again, by sheer percentages, this means more UNC fans go overboard.) But I think it's shortsighted and phony for us to pretend that Duke fans are better than anyone else. There may have been a time when that was true, but it's long gone.

I totally agree, except that I really don't think anyone can claim at any point that their entire fan base is "better" than anyone else. I'm pretty old; there've been plenty of obnoxious Duke fans for a long time.

Salty Breezes
04-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Some self-disclosure first: I graduated Duke in 1995, and Carolina Law in 2002. (When you're paying your own way to law school, and you live in NC, let's see where YOU go). I was that guy that got Carolina student tickets to go sit in the stands and root against the 'holes (and boy, was it fun, particularly in 2002). So I've given my fair share. And then some.

I'm now in Wilmington, where unless you live directly on the beach, you can go all day without seeing a Duke fan. Carolina fans absolutely rule this town. That said, the worst hatred I've experienced, for the Duke program if not for me in particular, was from other law students at Carolina (I know, go figure. Insert your own lawyer joke here.) Especially in that era (late 90's-early 00's), there was a visceral hatred of Coach K among those folks that I haven't seen from anyone before or since. It's as if they were convinced he truly was the devil. And these were my friends. I never understood it. Still don't. I never liked Dean, but I admit that, in general, he was a decent (chainsmoking whiner of a) guy. They could never say the same about Coach K.

Now, I must admit I don't wear my Duke togs as much as I used to, just to avoid the ribbing, but I must say that, with few exceptions, it's usually good-natured. If you live in NC, and you work with people, you're going to have to learn how to live with the other side.

That said, my boss (Carolina grad) and I don't talk basketball. Ever. It's a rule.

Mike Corey
04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
The way Americans attach themselves to sports teams is borne out of something innate, something very similar to how people attach themselves to their place of birth, to their country.

The proof of this phenomenon resides in a classic work of political science by the James B. Duke Professor of Law and Political Science, Donald Horowitz, whose complex language can be filtered through the Duke-North Carolina rivalry, and the fans whose lives have been changed by it. This comparison can be made because fans of Duke and North Carolina have feelings similar to those that Americans in general have for their country. Or as Horowitz writes in his tome Ethnic Groups in Conflict, "In divided societies, ethnic affiliations are powerful, permeative, passionate and pervasive." Undoubtedly, fandom is defined by "powerful, permeative, passionate and pervasive” emotions.

But first, we must ask how fans arrive at such emotions for one team versus another. And we must do this by asking how people come to associate with one ethnicity versus another. Political scientists have two answers, both of which are determined by geography and circumstance.

If you’re born in Chapel Hill, for example, you’re “Tar Heel born and Tar Heel dead.” Irish? Italian? Indian? Irrelevant. Your parents were UNC grads, you grew up cheering for Michael Jordan, and you ended up graduating from UNC, as well. You had no choice but to be a Tar Heel. It was in your blood. Political scientists would describe this as primordialism.

For others, it’s more complicated. At some point, a connection is made to a team, and an affiliation develops in time. Maybe you fell in love with Grant Hill or Shane Battier, thanks to the power of ESPN. Or perhaps Duke was the best school to which you were admitted as a high school senior. But being a small private school without broad market appeal, few other than the children of alums or professors are “born” as Blue Devils. Political scientists would say these fans have developed their affinity for Duke through constructivism.

Further complexities then ensue in the form of double consciousness, if you will, between rooting for a hometown team, and an altogether new one.

Consider the example of the Robertson Scholars, a collection of students raised in North Carolina who study at both UNC and Duke. Half of this intrepid group spends the bulk of their undergraduate career at UNC, but at least a portion of their time is spent on campus at Duke, studying and cheering alongside their full-time Blue Devil classmates. This two-ness manifested itself most obviously in the winter of 2006, when a bold group of Robertson Scholars, disguised in Blue Devil attire, passed as Duke fans while tenting for the Duke-Carolina basketball game, waiting until tip-off to come out of their cocoons replete in Tar Heel regalia. In response, the Duke Student Government rescinded the right to tent from all UNC-based Robertson Scholars.

This simple display of fandom demonstrates the extent to which people will go to serve their teams. And the height of that servitude comes whenever the teams play one another. And yet, the basic differences between the loyalty to a team and the loyalty to a country are negligible. “Ethnic allegiances are usually revived by the wartime experience,” Horowitz writes. Indeed, games are the equivalent of a “wartime experience.” The Spartans and Greeks waged battle on the fields of war; The Blue Devils and Tar Heels do so on the fields of play. In both circumstances, the competition draws the attention of the masses, and the fans cheer for their side accordingly.

Or as long-time Duke men’s soccer coach John Rennie explains, “The main thing about the game is that the players are aware that there is much more public interest in any Duke-UNC contest than in almost any other game of the season. Players and coaches know that a lot of people will know the result and that we'll all hear about it – win or lose. Attendance will be great, the fans will be louder, and there will be lots of spectators from both schools.”

All those spectators do not have to travel very far to support their side, a fact that is often said to exacerbate the rivalry’s intrastate intensity. Once again, Horowitz’s study of ethnic conflict explains why: “Ethnic divisions pose challenges to the cohesion of states and sometimes to peaceful relations among states. Ethnic conflict strains the bonds that sustain civility and is often at the root of violence that results in looting.”

Duke and Carolina fans don’t exactly loot one another’s campuses, but they do their fair share of pillaging on their own. Consider: If Duke beats UNC in men’s basketball, students pour onto the Main Quad on West Campus and build a gigantic bonfire, complete with wooden benches and dorm furniture hurled upon the flames. Or if the win comes in football, fans take down goal posts, as Duke students did in 2004 when the Blue Devils won in Chapel Hill. Similarly, UNC fans have been known to overrun Franklin Street after wins against Duke, overturning cars and the calm of Chapel Hill along the way. (Of course, none of this compares to the riotous shenanigans in College Park after wins and losses alike, but I digress.)

The questions persist, however, as to how and why two groups of people can detest the other so immensely. The recycled answers are well-known: Both Duke and UNC have lofty and long-standing athletic traditions, so much so that whenever the schools compete, championships hang in the balance. It’s not exactly a fight to the death, but in a sense, a Darwinian struggle ensues: for recruits, for facilities, and so forth.

Coaches tend to handle this a little better than fans, however. Consider the example of women’s lacrosse coach Kerstin Kimel, whose counterpart Jenny Levy at UNC is one of her best friends.

“Our husbands play golf together, our children get along great, we go on vacation together,” she says.

But even so, the rivalry rears its head come game time – even when the contest isn’t in lacrosse. Kimel recalls the Duke-North Carolina men’s basketball game in 1998 as one of the best examples of this.

“We were playing in an annual round-robin tournament at UNC on this day, and our team was huddled around the radio listening to the game before we were scheduled to play Virginia Tech,” she said. “As the game came down to the wire, the UNC staff put it on the loudspeaker system so everyone could hear it. When we won at the last second, our team and parents went crazy and celebrated. We then promptly ran onto the field (with no warm up) to play Virginia Tech. Later, the team begged me to drive them to Franklin Street so they could run down the street in their Duke uniforms and celebrate, which of course I was happy to let them do.”

The source of such competitiveness parallels the struggle ethnic groups have faced throughout the course of history. Or as Horowitz notes: “It is asserted that the competition for scarce values and material goods is exactly what propels people to see themselves as members of distinct ethnic groups, whose interests conflict with those of other ethnic groups.” Duke fans want their interests met; UNC fans want the opposite, and understandably so. That struggle doesn’t bring out the best in people, either – survival of the fittest, and all. Indeed, looting isn’t the only byproduct of an athletic rivalry: Biting rhetoric is, too. Fans hurl insults back and forth, a communiqué so common that it’s earned its own nickname: “trash talk.”

This, too, has its roots in ethnic conflict.

“In one country after another, other ethnic groups are described in unflattering or disparaging terms,” Horowitz writes. “In general, ethnic identity is strongly felt, behavior based on ethnicity is normatively sanctioned, and ethnicity is often accompanied by hostility toward outgroups.” And nowhere is that hostility on clearer display than in North Carolina graduate Will Blythe’s recent book, To Hate Like This Is To Be Happy Forever: A Thoroughly Obsessive, Intermittently Uplifting, and Occasionally Unbiased Account of the Duke-North Carolina Basketball Rivalry. Blythe’s ode to odiousness cannot be shrugged off as deriving from ignorance: He is no simpleton, having served as an editor at Esquire and a contributor to many of the nation’s top literary publications. But his loathing of Duke is as uncompromising as anyone’s.

In the book, Blythe explains that he inherited his distaste of Duke from his father. Or rather, it was inherent.

“Duke is the university as a launchpad, propelling its mostly out-of-state students into a stratosphere of success,” Blythe writes. “While hardly opposed to individual achievement, North Carolina, by contrast, is the university as old home place, equally devoted to the values of community and local service. That, at least, is the mythology many of us swallowed as we grew up. So that when one roots for one team or another in the Duke-North Carolina rivalry, one is cheering as much for opposing concepts of American virtue as for adolescent geniuses of basketball.”

And so it all comes back to geography and environment, and the challenges of being pulled in opposite directions by two competing allegiances, a two-ness that reflects the struggle for identity itself.

Or as Blythe writes: “Issues of identity--whether you see yourself as a populist or an elitist, as a local or an outsider, as public-minded or individually striving--get played out through allegiances to North Carolina’s and Duke’s basketball teams. And just as war,[it] is a continuation of politics by other means, so basketball, in this case, is an act of war disguised by sport. The living and dying through one’s allegiance to either Duke or Carolina is no less real for being enacted through play and fandom.”

aimo
04-09-2008, 04:24 PM

EXACTLY! Except I wasn't in Crapel Hell Elem. And I wasn't the only Duke fan in the class. She just knew my family and knew how diehard Duke we were/are. Back then it was a fact of life. Durham schools were mostly populated with UNC-taught teachers.

Rich
04-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Reminds me of this photo

Salty Breezes
04-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Wow, Mike, that was quite a post. Thanks.

So, is it the primordial vs. constructivist dynamic that prevents me from having a rational basketball-based discussion with Tarheel fans? Or are they just incapable of rational thought altogether?

Classof06
04-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Some self-disclosure first: I graduated Duke in 1995, and Carolina Law in 2002. (When you're paying your own way to law school, and you live in NC, let's see where YOU go). I was that guy that got Carolina student tickets to go sit in the stands and root against the 'holes (and boy, was it fun, particularly in 2002). So I've given my fair share. And then some.

I'm now in Wilmington, where unless you live directly on the beach, you can go all day without seeing a Duke fan. Carolina fans absolutely rule this town. That said, the worst hatred I've experienced, for the Duke program if not for me in particular, was from other law students at Carolina (I know, go figure. Insert your own lawyer joke here.) Especially in that era (late 90's-early 00's), there was a visceral hatred of Coach K among those folks that I haven't seen from anyone before or since. It's as if they were convinced he truly was the devil. And these were my friends. I never understood it. Still don't. I never liked Dean, but I admit that, in general, he was a decent (chainsmoking whiner of a) guy. They could never say the same about Coach K.

Now, I must admit I don't wear my Duke togs as much as I used to, just to avoid the ribbing, but I must say that, with few exceptions, it's usually good-natured. If you live in NC, and you work with people, you're going to have to learn how to live with the other side.

That said, my boss (Carolina grad) and I don't talk basketball. Ever. It's a rule.

I agree, with Carolina fans the ignorance is just to another level. I've met Carolina fans that honestly believe Krzyzewski is a racist and honestly believe that Duke runs a dirty program despite having no NCAA violations. As much as I don't like Carolina, realism takes over at some point. At the end of the day, it's obvious Carolina runs a phenomenal basketball program and even though I don't like Ol' Roy, he's clearly a great coach (cough, until april, cough ;)).

It's that excessiveness that's just really mind-boggling to me. As long as I've been on this board, I've never seen Duke fans as blind to the facts as that. Again, this is not saying Duke fans are perfect because we all know we're not. But the airplane incident is an illustration of the excessiveness I'm talking about, to the point where most of us weren't even surprised. I mean, we're talking full grown adults verbally attacking a KU fan in public. Adults, man; this didn't happen with a bunch of college kids.

weezie
04-09-2008, 05:16 PM
...this is not saying Duke fans are perfect because we all know we're not. ...

We Beg To Differ!

blublood
04-09-2008, 05:33 PM

That is hilarious!! (and kinda sad. All at the same time.)

Duke should totally offer that child a full scholarship. Anyone who endures that level of persecution in elementary school deserves a spot in the class, I don't care what his grades look like! :)

(edit: not to imply that the grades are unsatisfactory, because obviously I have no idea one way or the other, but the point is that his bravery should be richly rewarded!)

RelativeWays
04-09-2008, 05:53 PM
People react negatively to blanket accusations and generalizations! Film at 11!

DukeDevil
04-09-2008, 06:05 PM
It is not only the number of students. Since UNC is a state university, a large number of people (especially in NC) with no real affiliation to any university are big UNC fans. With Duke, that is much more rare.
Not to nitpick but that's what I said in the latter part of my initial post. I agree with the rest of what you said, I just didn't want to try and say it as I was sure I'd put it badly and make it sound snobby.

Lotus000
04-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Or are they just incapable of rational thought altogether?

...it's this. Look at IC. 'nuff said.

bhd28
04-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Not to nitpick but that's what I said in the latter part of my initial post. I agree with the rest of what you said, I just didn't want to try and say it as I was sure I'd put it badly and make it sound snobby.

D'oh. That you did... reading comprehension went out the door for a few minutes. :o I struggled with how to not sound snobby myself... but I come from a relatively poor family in Arkansas... and the education/tolerance thing (at least from my area and even my own friends) is the truth.

godukecom
04-09-2008, 11:13 PM
why is the teacher sitting so far from the rest of the class in the above picture... i dint get it

i copied this from someone else in another thread; thanks to whoever it was

Lotus000
04-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Speaking of Maryland, up here in DC, a lady at Giant (a local grocery store chain) refused to check me out because I was wearing a Duke warmup and cap. She was like "I'm not checking you out, I hate Duke. Go Terps." She had someone else come to ring me up, but I had to stand there and wait about 5 minutes before someone would come. This was also back in the fall, well before ACC season had arrived. Now, UNC fans can be downright nasty, but I've never been refused service from a UNC fan because I'm a Duke fan.

That's ridiculous. I'd have asked to speak to the manager and got my stuff for free. MAN that would have just ticked me off to no end.

blazindw
04-09-2008, 11:50 PM
That's ridiculous. I'd have asked to speak to the manager and got my stuff for free. MAN that would have just ticked me off to no end.

Yea, I was going to, but I wasn't about to wait any longer for a manager to show up. I had frozen foods that I didn't want to thaw. But best believe that after both Maryland games I was up in Giant with a warmup or shirt that said "Duke" on it and a big smile on my face.

Lotus000
04-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Yea, I was going to, but I wasn't about to wait any longer for a manager to show up. I had frozen foods that I didn't want to thaw. But best believe that after both Maryland games I was up in Giant with a warmup or shirt that said "Duke" on it and a big smile on my face.

I'd have tried to find the same checkout person. Then just laffed and laffed.

pete89
04-10-2008, 01:40 AM
There fans of both schools that can be take things too far. Probably more UNC fans because they have much larger fan base in NC. The one thing I've always found interesting is that its almost never the alums/students of the schools that do dumb stuff like the plane thing. Its usually the fans that have no affiliation with the university that gives the fan base a bad name. All of the UNC students I know take some friendly jabs at me but I do the same. And its never mean-hearted or threatening.

Bluedawg
04-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Now about those Braves fans..... :-)

What about those "Braves fans..."?

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/lang_whitaker/05/09/the.links/p1_braves_getty.jpg

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Atlanta-Braves---05-Logo-Cap-and-Glove-Photograph-C11738538.jpeg

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/tbr/lowres/tbrn35l.jpg

Bluedawg
04-10-2008, 09:03 AM

She sent me out into the hall. For a long time. Later, she apologized to me saying it was unfair for her to have taken her disappointment out on me when I had only acted as she had. I think I would have rather been sent out into the hall again.

Can't imagine why I hate carolina fans. By the way, I have had several people, some both non-Duke and non-UNC, say that the tarhole fans have been especially obnoxious this year. Makes last weekend even sweeter. I do not razz them. I torture them making them sweat it out, waiting for the moment when I'm going to come down on them. But I don't, and it drives them crazy!!!

I think we all need to be careful....how many times do we see the word "tarhole" posted? Some introspection may be helpful. Frankly I'm getting tired of reading it...and this is coming from a guy who wears one of his Duke caps to church and reguarly referrs to UNC as 'the dark side."

Bluedawg
04-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I could see Maryland following suit but only if the fan was a Duke fan.

According to ESPN the Maryland fans did boo the Duke cheerleaders when our Women played the NCAA up there.

SilkyJ
04-10-2008, 06:26 PM
I think we all need to be careful....how many times do we see the word "tarhole" posted? Some introspection may be helpful. Frankly I'm getting tired of reading it...and this is coming from a guy who wears one of his Duke caps to church and reguarly referrs to UNC as 'the dark side."

are you actually equating using a nickname that pokes fun on an anonymous message board with public ridicule and harassment?

Bluedawg
04-10-2008, 06:41 PM
are you actually equating using a nickname that pokes fun on an anonymous message board with public ridicule and harassment?

No...just making an observation

Dukie4Life
04-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Well I'm a "transplant" to NC from the Buckey State however I've been a Duke fan as long as I remeber! I'm a teacher at a school who supports UNC. Coming into a basketball rich area such as the triangle I expceted to get some words said to me...

HOWEVER I was in Burlington at Target when an older gentleman accidentally bumped into me on Saturday. I was wearing a Duke Lacrosse shirt even and he turned around with a smile on his face and asked what time Duke played tonight. (Tonight being Saturday)

Lets just say Sunday I wish I could have seen him again.

GO DUKE!

SilkyJ
04-10-2008, 08:58 PM
No...just making an observation

sounded more like a juxtaposition, but whatevs.

I don't think any introspection (at least on my part) is needed. I am a pretty obnoxious Duke fan and the worst thing I do in public is pop my jersey or hoodie when walking by someone from UNC.

Bostondevil
04-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Just wondering if aHeel4ever feels harassed in this thread? And what if one of us posted something similar on IC, would we get the same number of opinions on both sides of the issue? And the same civility?

A few years back, when number 3 son was a baby, I was waiting at the bus stop for my oldest son. The baby was bawling. A couple of older women walked by with a younger man wearing a UNC hat. I happened to be wearing my Duke basketball shorts. Anyway, the older women looked down at my son with sympathetic looks until I commented "Don't worry, it's just the hat." Then pointed to my shorts. The young man laughed but the two women were completely offended. I'm sure they'd put me in the obnoxious Duke fan category.

(I was the only Duke fan (one of the rare NC natives who was born a Blue Devil) in my elementary school class. My teachers were almost all from UNC. I used to try and get to stay home sick after Duke lost games, it was brutal. Taking this public policy, but most of them were Republicans and Dallas Cowboys fans too, I still kind of hate all three.)

BlueDevilJay
04-11-2008, 08:15 AM
(I was the only Duke fan (one of the rare NC natives who was born a Blue Devil) in my elementary school class.

Are we really that rare? Im a NC native, born a Blue Devil as well. I've heard another on here mention to me, "Nice to see another native NC Duke fan on here" so after seeing your comment too, I just had to ask. I live literally about 100 yds away from the house I was born and raised in, and my dad started me on Duke basketball as early as I can remember. I just didn't realize we were that rare around here. (Or are you referring to now living in a diff state?)

RelativeWays
04-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Well if you're talking about fan support in numbers here in NC, native NC Duke fans are the few, the proud. Obviously UNC and NC State have more fans here than Duke being the two major state universities. Some would argue that we may actually be in 5th place behind ECU and App as well, depending on where you are in the state. We'll always be ahead of Wake though :rolleyes:

billy
04-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Are we really that rare? Im a NC native, born a Blue Devil as well. I've heard another on here mention to me, "Nice to see another native NC Duke fan on here" so after seeing your comment too, I just had to ask. I live literally about 100 yds away from the house I was born and raised in, and my dad started me on Duke basketball as early as I can remember. I just didn't realize we were that rare around here. (Or are you referring to now living in a diff state?)

Count me in as a NC native (born in Duke hospital) Duke fan...

Bostondevil
04-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Well, I certainly felt rare growing up in Durham in the 1970's, and like I said before, I was the ONLY Duke fan in my class. There were others in the school but not in my grade. Plus I'm a second generation Dukie. I didn't know a lot of other kids like me during my early years.

DukePA
04-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Well, I certainly felt rare growing up in Durham in the 1970's, and like I said before, I was the ONLY Duke fan in my class. There were others in the school but not in my grade. Plus I'm a second generation Dukie. I didn't know a lot of other kids like me during my early years.

I'm the oldest of 4 who grew up in Hillsborough during the 70's and we were among the very rare Duke fans. We had quite a few State fans given the large number of farms in the area, so they at least felt like allies during basketball season. But yeah, I remember getting picked on a ton by carolina fans when I was growing up and it continues today. Ah well, adversity builds character.

Bluedawg
04-11-2008, 10:58 AM
sounded more like a juxtaposition, but whatevs.

I don't think any introspection (at least on my part) is needed. I am a pretty obnoxious Duke fan and the worst thing I do in public is pop my jersey or hoodie when walking by someone from UNC.

I am a duke fan but I try not be an "obnoxious Duke fan." I was fortunate enough to be at the NCSU game which marked Coach K's 800th win. I was given an extra ticket by by big state fan brother -in-law because his wife couldn't go. When they offered my first question was 'can i wear my Duke hat?" After a slight pause she agreed, and I sat in the state section proudly cheering for and wearing my duke hat.

When i entered the RBC center one of the ticket takers told me I could probably find a better "red hat" inside and the lady at the end of our row's only comment was "oh no." All very good hearted and in fun.

Like I said previously I also wear one of my Duke hats to church.

I believe we can show our fan-hood through that type of levity without having to be obnoxious.

The Gordog
04-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Reminds me of this photo
How about a caption contest?

I'll start: Boss/Dones

The Gordog
04-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Call the manager. If none is forthcoming then leave all your stuff (smashed maybe?) on the floor and walk out. Call the store's HQ when you get home. No way would I let that go by.

aimo
04-11-2008, 02:33 PM

I definitely knew who the other Duke fans were. I didn't feel THAT alone in the world, but yes, we were outnumbered by the 'holes. (And, yes, I'm going to continue using the term. I have been using "tarholes" longer than most people and I see no reason to stop. Unless I find an even better word to use.)

I proudly defended my team on the school bus, even when the busdriver tried to throw me off when I wore a "Go To Heck Carolina" (no, that's not a typo) sticker to school. Only after I realized that I might not otherwise get home that afternoon did I agree to take it off and put it in my bookbag. He wanted me to throw it away, but I argued my way onto the bus. Maybe he realized he was being an idiot (I doubt it). That was SIXTH GRADE, by the way.

bjornolf
04-11-2008, 04:17 PM

the terp fans? I've personally seen worse than that from them.

Edouble
04-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Well if you're talking about fan support in numbers here in NC, native NC Duke fans are the few, the proud. Obviously UNC and NC State have more fans here than Duke being the two major state universities. Some would argue that we may actually be in 5th place behind ECU and App as well, depending on where you are in the state. We'll always be ahead of Wake though :rolleyes:

What's Wake?

devildeac
04-12-2008, 07:33 AM
What's Wake?

It's a football school:D

No, it's actually a soccer school:D

captmojo
04-12-2008, 01:24 PM
why is the teacher sitting so far from the rest of the class in the above picture... i dint get it

i copied this from someone else in another thread; thanks to whoever it was

...and who's the big kid on the right end, standing with the white jacket on? Is that a wedding ring? Large for her age, n'cest pas?

Pak Song
04-14-2008, 03:42 AM

Duke fans have a higher level of tradition and understanding than unc followers. unc front runners have a disappointing level of information to add to basketball discussions other than "we're #1" and neanderthal shouting down of anyone who opposes their mass hysteria.

moonpie23
04-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Duke fans have a higher level of tradition and understanding than unc followers. unc front runners have a disappointing level of information to add to basketball discussions other than "we're #1" and neanderthal shouting down of anyone who opposes their mass hysteria.

i agree. you can't talk to tarhole fans on any level of sanity. even when they start out the convo being slightly sane, soon, dean smith, michael jordan, and "we got 5 rings you got 3" are the dominant positions of conversation.

my buddy Ambrose Bierce defines POSITIVE as "being mistaken at the top of one's voice"

GrayHare
04-14-2008, 01:12 PM
According to ESPN the Maryland fans did boo the Duke cheerleaders when our Women played the NCAA up there.

Not only did they boo the cheerleaders, they booed the team, the band, any mention of the word Duke, and any call against Murray State or Arizona State. As Duke left the court after the ASU game, our players waved their hands in gracious acknowledgment of the crowd's support.

jma4life
04-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Haven't read the whole thread but when I was about ten, I went to a two week summer camp in Carolina. Most of the counselors were Carolina students.

When I showed up to activities in my Duke hat, I was expecting some minor ribbing. So I fully expected that the counselor was joking when she told me I could not participate in tennis if I wore my Duke hat. Unfortunately, I was the only one laughing when she made that statement. I'm proud to say that I gladly sat out for fifteen or whatever rather than succumb and take off the hat.

Anyway, she eventually let me play.

sagegrouse
04-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Haven't read the whole thread but when I was about ten, I went to a two week summer camp in Carolina. Most of the counselors were Carolina students.

When I showed up to activities in my Duke hat, I was expecting some minor ribbing. So I fully expected that the counselor was joking when she told me I could not participate in tennis if I wore my Duke hat. Unfortunately, I was the only one laughing when she made that statement. I'm proud to say that I gladly sat out for fifteen or whatever rather than succumb and take off the hat.

Anyway, she eventually let me play.

My daughter has a friend who graduated from Duke and enrolled in the athletic administration program at UNC. Normally grad school is no big deal -- you can keep your undergrad alliances because everyone else is from other schools. Howsomever, one requirement in this program was that you had to coach PE, which involved wearing Tarheel sweats and shorts -- a real come-down for a diehard Blue Devil.

sagegrouse

Son of Mojo
04-14-2008, 03:12 PM
i agree. you can't talk to tarhole fans on any level of sanity. even when they start out the convo being slightly sane, soon, dean smith, michael jordan, and "we got 5 rings you got 3" are the dominant positions of conversation.

my buddy Ambrose Bierce defines POSITIVE as "being mistaken at the top of one's voice"

We can always take solace in the fact that, until they win another title, they DON'T have 5. It drives me nuts seeing them wear shirts and coats claiming the mystery title. Personally I never heard them claim that until we won our
3rd. There is no way to have a rational conversation with them but it can be entertaining--I have a friend who stomps, rants, & raves talking about how good they are. . .it's a sight to see. I'll stand back and let him go through his hystrionics because it cracks me up but he makes little sense--few of them do.

throatybeard
04-14-2008, 03:23 PM
It's a football school:D

No, it's actually a soccer school:D

I think it's a field hockey school.

devildeac
04-14-2008, 11:05 PM
I think it's a field hockey school.

I think all THREE are correct;)

Bostondevil
04-15-2008, 07:05 AM

I always figure the response to that is 'K has 3, how many did Dean win again?'

Uncle Drew
04-15-2008, 08:57 AM
When your mom is a teacher you are held to a different standard than classmates. And every teacher has heard all the excuses in the world for quote unquote bad behavior and disobedience. I couldn't get away with anything in school. So in 5th grade after lunch each day we were given sheets with lyrics and my teacher would play the piano and we would sing.

One day she attempted to introduce us to the UNC theme song and when I wasn't singing she sent me to the principals office. The principal called my dad, and normally I would have been dreading to see him walk through the door. When the principal told my father I'd refused to participate in the singing he asked me why. When I told him they had wanted me to sing the UNC theme song he looked at the principal and said, "he will NOT be singing THAT song, please send him back to class tell Mrs Graves she needs to find better songs and please don't bother me again with needless trips up here"!