PDA

View Full Version : Championship- Memphis-Kansas Game Thread

speedevil
04-06-2008, 06:23 AM
im rooting for kansas because they beat carolina, that alone would get me cheering for them. but i also picked them in my yahoo bracket. big money pot, kansas show me the money

davekay1971
04-06-2008, 08:24 AM
im rooting for kansas because they beat carolina, that alone would get me cheering for them. but i also picked them in my yahoo bracket. big money pot, kansas show me the money

I'm rooting for Kansas for 2 reasons:

(1) Gratitude for them beating the tarholes in such spectacular fashion
(2) Calipari makes my skin crawl

Kansas and Memphis will be a very nice matchup, and hopefully a great, great game. Kansas has the advantage inside, Memphis has such big, athletic guards. I really don't have an opinion of who will win this one. If both teams play to potential, I think it will be close, and it will be fun to watch.

CrazyCat
04-06-2008, 11:29 AM
We do owe Kansas this one, so I will have to root for them on Monday night. It just would not be right if I didn't. We need to show them our gratitude in a big way.

Troublemaker
04-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Definitely rooting for Kansas out of gratitude. Also, I win a pool if they win.

Memphis is currently a small 1.5-pt favorite for Monday night. That team has really surprised me. I still don't consider Memphis to be a particularly skilled team overall -- although, obviously, CDR is, and Rose is a stud -- but they've been dominating offenses with their length and athleticism, especially their length. Much of their own offense has just been taking rebounds and turnovers and converting to dunks and layups in transition. They're like the '85 Bears of college basketball right now. If Memphis goes on to throttle Kansas' offense as well, we'll have to remember them as one of the best defensive teams ever.

NYC Duke Fan
04-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Does it really matter ? Both teams could win and it really has no impact whatsoever. Kansas because they beat Carolina or Memphis because they have not played for a national championship.

Maybe Memphis in a very, very small way so I would be assured that Derrick Rose would turn pro and maybe just maybe my Knicks could get him the draft and begin the long, long road back to respectibility. I know that Beasley could turn out to be a superstar in the league but for the Knicks, Rose would be a better fit.

MChambers
04-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Memphis is the new Vegas? I really don't like Calipari.

I don't have strong feelings about Self.

sagegrouse
04-06-2008, 01:23 PM
I mean no disrespect to Kansas, but I expect Memphis to win easily.

BTW, Kansas was lucky they got to play an almost dead UNC team in the semis.

sagegrouse
'The grouse is back on the East Coast, and the weather is awful. Should have stayed in the Rockies, where the awful weather is welcomed with open arms.'

eddiehaskell
04-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Right now, I can't really find a reason to pull for either one. Maybe I'll go with Memphis because a Kansas win give them 3 championships - tied with Duke.

soccerstud2210
04-06-2008, 05:12 PM
rock, chalk, jayhawks... why not... should be a good game... rose might now be a 100% so who knows...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney08/news/story?id=3332589
:)

adam
04-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Go Kansas! :)

KandG
04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I like Self and like this Kansas team, but Memphis has been playing on another level the last few weeks. Kansas can play with them and win, but they're still prone to a good ten minutes a game of absolute brain lock...I don't think that will get it done against Memphis.

mk76
04-07-2008, 08:47 AM
the Jayhawks will be exhausted after holding off Carolina in the late game (definitely a disadvantage) on Saturday. Memphis will run them off the court UNLESS Kansas' bigs take over inside. No rebounds, no fast break.

moonpie23
04-07-2008, 08:52 AM
memphis.....by a lot....

kansas won't have the mojo they had sat........

BCGroup
04-07-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm a convert--I really thought Memphis would be the first one out, but they are playing at such a high level right now, I'm picking them. It was interesting to watch the press conference Sunday--they seem to just really, really like each other and like playing together. I know that's an intangible, but I think it makes a difference.

CDu
04-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I think people in this thread are writing off Kansas too easily. Memphis is very good, but so is Kansas. And Kansas is very good at neutralizing the opposing team's best weapons. Rush can handle Douglas-Roberts. The key will be containing Rose. And Kansas won't likely lose track of Dorsey like UCLA did.

I'm not saying Kansas will definitely win, but I don't think Memphis will blow Kansas out. I'm picking Kansas because they have so many weapons, because they have the advantage in the post offensively, and because they pride themselves on defending against great individual players. That said, Memphis will have the best player on the court (Rose) and certainly have talent at other spots. And anytime you have the best player in the game, you have a good chance to win.

I'm excited for this game tonight.

Troublemaker
04-07-2008, 10:29 AM
I agree, Cdu. Gun to my head, I'd take Kansas. I'm excited for the game but at the same time, I have a feeling it's going to be ugly. Too much defensive talent on the court for either team to get into an offensive rhythm. It's gonna be one of those games where afterwards, fans and media might ridicule the game and the winner for being so ugly. Which would be wrong, of course, since defense is as much a part of the game as offense.

CDu
04-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I agree, Cdu. Gun to my head, I'd take Kansas. I'm excited for the game but at the same time, I have a feeling it's going to be ugly. Too much defensive talent on the court for either team to get into an offensive rhythm. It's gonna be one of those games where afterwards, fans and media might ridicule the game and the winner for being so ugly. Which would be wrong, of course, since defense is as much a part of the game as offense.

I could definitely see that happening. Both teams are so athletic and so good defensively that it could wind up being a disjointed track meet with lots of athletic misses and blocked shots.

MChambers
04-07-2008, 10:44 AM
The four big guys will give Memphis a tougher time inside than they've seen this year. The Kansas perimeter is good enough to at least slow down Rose and CDR.

Pomeroy makes Kansas a 3 point favorite, with a 65% chance of winning. None of which matters, of course.

CDu
04-07-2008, 11:44 AM
The four big guys will give Memphis a tougher time inside than they've seen this year. The Kansas perimeter is good enough to at least slow down Rose and CDR.

Pomeroy makes Kansas a 3 point favorite, with a 65% chance of winning. None of which matters, of course.

I think one big key will be how effective Kansas is at getting the ball inside. They have a clear advantage in offensive prowess and in depth inside. Their perimeter players have a tendency to be a bit more streaky, though. And they can sometimes forget that they have an advantage almost every night inside.

The other key will be how Kansas handles Rose. I think they match up well at every other spot. Rose is a solid matchup with CDR. I don't know who will win the matchup, but it is pretty balanced. Rose is the trouble spot. He's bigger than Kansas's guards and he is as quick and explosive (if not moreso). Further, he can post up or beat you off the dribble. If Kansas can keep him from going off in transition and contain him in the half court, they should be in good shape.

Ultimately, Rose is the only spot on the floor in which Kansas is at a big disadvantage. How well they minimize that disadvantage and how well they make use of their advantages at other spots will determine who wins (obviously).

MChambers
04-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I think one big key will be how effective Kansas is at getting the ball inside. They have a clear advantage in offensive prowess and in depth inside. Their perimeter players have a tendency to be a bit more streaky, though. And they can sometimes forget that they have an advantage almost every night inside.

The other key will be how Kansas handles Rose. I think they match up well at every other spot. Rose is a solid matchup with CDR. I don't know who will win the matchup, but it is pretty balanced. Rose is the trouble spot. He's bigger than Kansas's guards and he is as quick and explosive (if not moreso). Further, he can post up or beat you off the dribble. If Kansas can keep him from going off in transition and contain him in the half court, they should be in good shape.

Ultimately, Rose is the only spot on the floor in which Kansas is at a big disadvantage. How well they minimize that disadvantage and how well they make use of their advantages at other spots will determine who wins (obviously).

That Rush, not Rose, is a good matchup with CDR. Of course, if Rush gets in foul trouble, Kansas becomes very small on the perimeter.

I still think that Kansas's inside game will put a lot of pressure on Memphis's limited frontline, so that's why I'm picking Kansas, but I expect a good and close game.

paulie dogs
04-07-2008, 12:23 PM
And it would be a nice kick in the teeth to Roy that Kansas wins the NC after he leaves, when he was unable to get it done there.

The1Bluedevil
04-07-2008, 12:32 PM
KU can throw the ball into the post all they want but Arthur is the only one of the four who has any post moves. Jackson, Kaun and Aldrich rely on lobs of the ball screen and penetrations by their fantastic guards.

CDu
04-07-2008, 12:36 PM
That Rush, not Rose, is a good matchup with CDR. Of course, if Rush gets in foul trouble, Kansas becomes very small on the perimeter.

I still think that Kansas's inside game will put a lot of pressure on Memphis's limited frontline, so that's why I'm picking Kansas, but I expect a good and close game.

Yes - I meant that Rush is a good matchup for CDR. And I agree - if Rush gets in foul trouble, Kansas gets really small. He's the one guy for whom Kansas doesn't have a good backup plan. If he's out, then Kansas goes with three guards, each of whom is 6'1" or smaller.

And I agree that it will be a close game.

CDu
04-07-2008, 12:37 PM
And it would be a nice kick in the teeth to Roy that Kansas wins the NC after he leaves, when he was unable to get it done there.

Well, technically Roy did win a title at UNC, so that probably takes a bit of the sting away from Kansas potentially winning a title without him. Even if it was thanks to Doherty's players. :)

6th Man
04-07-2008, 12:41 PM
I am rooting for Kansas, mostly due to the fact if they win, I win my pool. The thing that scares me a little is I thought they made some really careless passes against the Tarholes. I could see Memphis turning those passes into a fastbreak dunking clinic. I think the depth Kansas has inside could be a big positive against Memphis if they can protect the ball and get it down low. I think Kansas looked mighty quick against the Holes and may have enough speed to stay with the terrific Memphis guards. Should be a great game.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-07-2008, 01:51 PM
They have some clean cut guys I wish were wearing the same blue but with a different logo.....ours. And I like Self.......could be our common Illinois roots, I don't know.

But, I do wish somebody could explain the Rock and Chalk part to me. What's that got to do with anything? Or am I just dense?

Love, Ima

crimsonandblue
04-07-2008, 03:15 PM
They have some clean cut guys I wish were wearing the same blue but with a different logo.....ours. And I like Self.......could be our common Illinois roots, I don't know.

But, I do wish somebody could explain the Rock and Chalk part to me. What's that got to do with anything? Or am I just dense?

Love, Ima

Ask and ye shall receive. (http://www.ku.edu/about/traditions/chant.shtml)

Pretty much the same info here. (http://kuathletics.cstv.com/trads/kan-rock-chalk-chant.html)

BCGroup
04-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Looks like he's good to play tonight (no surprise)

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/apr/07/tigers-announce-tuesday-travel-plans/ (Scroll down)

The1Bluedevil
04-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Luckily for Self, Ku and fans that Mr. Rush tore his acl .

BlueintheFace
04-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Alright everybody- this is us next year!!

geraldsneighbor
04-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Let's hope. 2001 seems further away each year. I guess thats how time works though.:)

BlueintheFace
04-07-2008, 09:38 PM
This could be a truly classic game...

moonpie23
04-07-2008, 09:39 PM
both team seem pretty loose...

mapei
04-07-2008, 09:41 PM
early foul trouble for Memphis . . .

geraldsneighbor
04-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Kansas looks shaky to start, playing quickly. They came back nice and now they have to attack Dozier if Memphis is going to leave him in. Big spot here early for both teams.

moonpie23
04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Rush!!!!!!

Cicero
04-07-2008, 09:47 PM
According to Jim Gray (via radio), Roy Williams is attending the game wearing a Kansas t-shirt. I can't wait to see the reaction from UNC fans, and particularly to see whether people blame Roy's prior association with Kansas for contributing to the loss. More fuel for the fire!

Chard
04-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah, this will be a good one. Memphis has really suprised me to get to tonight. However, Kansas just looks so much tougher on the boards and on the interior. Their guards can hang with Memphis. We'll see but I like Kansas in this one.

Chard
04-07-2008, 09:50 PM
According to Jim Gray (via radio), Roy Williams is attending the game wearing a Kansas t-shirt. I can't wait to see the reaction from UNC fans, and particularly to see whether people blame Roy's prior association with Kansas for contributing to the loss. More fuel for the fire!

No. Way.

BlueintheFace
04-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Memphis seems to be getting the short end of the stick from the refs tonight...

Also, I foresee some Aldrich domination on the fatboy

moonpie23
04-07-2008, 09:52 PM
kansas does not seem to have missed a step since sat

geraldsneighbor
04-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Rose hasn't looked for his shot at all...he has just forced up a couple.

moonpie23
04-07-2008, 09:55 PM

lord no!!!!! the baby blue will prolly just roll over and say" oh...that's ok...we don't mind. He;s just being "ol roy"..

geraldsneighbor
04-07-2008, 09:55 PM
LOL is that a sticker?

somf4eva
04-07-2008, 09:56 PM
good ole roy sportin the Kansas shirt

Law Talking Guy
04-07-2008, 09:56 PM
lord no!!!!! the baby blue will prolly just roll over and say" oh...that's ok...we don't mind. He;s just being "ol roy"..

Just saw him. No T-shirt, but a sticker. Un-freaking-believable.

geraldsneighbor
04-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Does that mean he didn't fly home with his boys and just said see ya.

BlueintheFace
04-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Geez, Memphis' big guys are getting smacked around on both ends of the floor and the refs are just shrugging their shoulders. I think Rose needs to just get in the lane every time.. no matter what. It seems like only good things happen when he has the ball in the lane.

weezie
04-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Good grief. He waves good bye to his "boys," watches them fly off in their humiliation and sticks around for the finals? Wonder if he was able to squeeze in a golf game after he dropped the 'holes off at the airport.
What a guy...networking all the live long day.

moonpie23
04-07-2008, 10:03 PM
IC is going Nuts on the KU sticker....this could turn bad for roy on the heels (ha) of that humilating defeat....

geraldsneighbor
04-07-2008, 10:09 PM
That would be classy if Roy brought the sticks along. Him and Larry snuck in a quick 9 this afternoon.

BlueintheFace
04-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Good grief. He waves good bye to his "boys," watches them fly off in their humiliation and sticks around for the finals? Wonder if he was able to squeeze in a golf game after he dropped the 'holes off at the airport.
What a guy...networking all the live long day.

OH GOD- Inside Carolina is burning down right now. Some pretty angry fans in Chapel Hill...

geraldsneighbor
04-07-2008, 10:13 PM
OH GOD- Inside Carolina is burning down right now. Some pretty angry fans in Chapel Hill...

Brings a smile to my face.

Chard
04-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Ah, ha ha. Roy is going to be interviewed during halftime. Wonder if it will be sans sticker?

Anyways, 33 - 28 at the half is a slight suprise. Defense has been the story so far.

Cicero
04-07-2008, 10:23 PM
The Inside Carolina boards are really going up in flames. I can understand why Roy Williams would pull for Kansas over Memphis. At the same time, he didn't need to wear Kansas paraphenalia, and especially not when the sweat had barely dried on UNC's wholesale destruction as Kansas' hands. It seems a little bush league.

I'm really enjoying the fallout of Carolina's loss, especially after dealing with similar hysteria and hyperbole on our side.

SupaDave
04-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Guys this is my first post and I'm hoping I'm not breaking any rules with this but I just HAVE to mention the fact that Roy Williams actually WORE a JayHawk shirt to the championship game.

Did a freaking interview in it.

During halftime.

Right after they announced his player being player of the year (and is Deion Sanders Tyler's stylist?)...

ARE YOU SERIOUS ROY?!?!?!?!?

Seriously - I would lose my freaking mind if I saw Coach K in a freaking Army shirt after they JUST KICKED OUR FREAKING TAILS!!!!!

I wouldn't care if our team had their legs tied together when they played Army when we lost either. BUT you better not wear a freaking Army shirt! (no offense to Army but this is what we have)...

I would REALLY like to know how tarhell nation feels about this...

Any takers on their thoughts?!

moonpie23
04-07-2008, 10:31 PM
man, there are lot of old timers on IC who are pissed....

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Weird night all around. The game is choppy, and then there's Ol' Roy.

A coach standing in the crowd wearing the logo of the team that blew his team out less than 48 hours ago. Just weird.

Almost as strange: the suit Beaker was wearing when he picked up his Naismith. Can't someone take that kid shopping? I realize it's tough to find a suit when you're 6'8", but as K might say, c'mon. Looked like something from MC Hammer's closet with the parachute pants. Kid needs a tailor.

Chicago 1995
04-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Please tell me someone has a screen cap of Roy with the KU sticker. Please.

I know that our enterprising student body can do something with that. :D

Memphis has to do something about the rebounding. They're getting killed on the glass and they're only about even in the turnover battle. If KU keeps getting to do what they want in the post on the boards, it's over.

I do hope that the Derrick Rose of the last three games shows up for the second half. It would make things a little more exciting.

Memphis needs better spacing too. The ball screen is bringing the double team to the ball. Packer's rarely right, but I think he was on that account.

Huh?
04-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Roy is ridiculous, he's so fake it makes me want to throw up.

moonpie23
04-07-2008, 10:36 PM
IC - 257 posts - totally on fire........4k plus views

Lavabe
04-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I simply howled in laughter when I saw Roy wearing that thing. I then realized something...

it sure beat the tie he was wearing the other night.:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

SupaDave
04-07-2008, 10:37 PM
That interview was so bananas that I gave Roy his own thread. I'm about to go and check out inside Carolina...

moonpie23
04-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Please tell me someone has a screen cap of Roy with the KU sticker. Please. .

'yes....PLEASE get me one of those......

BlueintheFace
04-07-2008, 10:40 PM
hahahhahaha hahahhaha (deep breath) hahahhah ahahhahahaahahaha

geraldsneighbor
04-07-2008, 10:43 PM
A sticker though.....really? You couldn't get him a Kansas blue shirt?

Lavabe
04-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Ya think Ol' Roy would go back to Kansas if Self goes to alma mater (OkSt)?:eek:

If he would, then the sticker on the shirt makes sense.

I know .... Seth has Gillespie going to Kansas if Self goes to OkSt.

Maybe I'll enjoy some schadenfreude over on IC! How's the weather there SupaDave?

Cheers,
Lavabe

Vincetaylor
04-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Duke has a ways to go to catch the likes of Kansas and Memphis. The only way we can start competing at this level is to get a lot of speed and size. It's that simple. Frankly, it's pretty hard to be optimistic about next year when you see how much better these teams are.

BlueintheFace
04-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Ya think Ol' Roy would go back to Kansas if Self goes to alma mater (OkSt)?:eek:

Maybe I'll enjoy some schadenfreude over on IC! How's the weather there SupaDave?

Cheers,
Lavabe

AND Larry Brown to Carolina... PERFECT

Lavabe
04-07-2008, 10:47 PM
AND Larry Brown to Carolina... PERFECT

ROTFLMAO!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Maybe George Karl? How about ol' Sam the Eagle?:D

9F Cheers,
Lavabe

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 10:47 PM

Cheers,
Lavabe

IC is in full meltdown.

My question is this: Is Roy's ego so big that he decided to make himself part of the story tonight? Shouldn't the guy be hiding at the hotel drinking Coca Colas or something?

Pretty strange scenario-but one thing is certain. Roy will be a huge topic, and he'll love it.

pete89
04-07-2008, 10:48 PM
I almost feel bad for UNC.

SupaDave
04-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Duke has a ways to go to catch the likes of Kansas and Memphis. The only way we can start competing at this level is to get a lot of speed and size. It's that simple. Frankly, it's pretty hard to be optimistic about next year when you see how much better these teams are.

Maybe you've been sleep most of the tournament. Davidson could easily be in the title game. There are SO many factors that go into a championship run that such a simple analysis would frustrate the beegeezus out of someone trying to make it sound valid.

There are lots of big AND fast teams out there but at the end of the day you gotta be able to put the ball in the hoop. Basketball isn't all that different from football in the fact that all kinds of things can happen in a game to shift momentum and generate a win.

BlueintheFace
04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Another non-call... I'm not a Memphis fan at all, but I really think the officiating is unbalanced this game.

BlueintheFace
04-07-2008, 10:51 PM

YOU BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!

dukie8
04-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Maybe you've been sleep most of the tournament. Davidson could easily be in the title game. There are SO many factors that go into a championship run that such a simple analysis would frustrate the beegeezus out of someone trying to make it sound valid.

There are lots of big AND fast teams out there but at the end of the day you gotta be able to put the ball in the hoop. Basketball isn't all that different from football in the fact that all kinds of things can happen in a game to shift momentum and generate a win.

who said that we were even close to davidson at the end of the year? davidson had a pg who led the nation in assists, the best scorer in the country and a bunch of big guys who can play (ask the kansas big guys how good they were). davidson may not be in a bcs league but it was a really good team that could play with anyone this year.

Vincetaylor
04-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Maybe you've been sleep most of the tournament. Davidson could easily be in the title game.

There is a big difference between being in the title game with a shot at winning and losing in the final 8. Davidson had a great run, but they weren't good enough in the end and they never would have won it all.

SupaDave
04-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Check it out - a quote of the original thread.

Championship game: Roy is sitting with the KU crowd...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wearing KU colors, according to John Thompson Sr. commentating for the Westwood One Radio Network.

JT - "I've never seen a coach sit with the team that just sent his team home. He's even wearing their colors."

Then, "The Memphis side has 7 Elvis impersonators."

Bill Raftery, "Maybe the 7 Elvises for Memphis equal 1 Roy Williams for Kansas."

As a competitor, this just pisses me off. I'm sure someone here will tell us that folks like me are bad fans. Get over it.

End this stupid freaking love affair!!! Seriously, I don't think I'd be cool with it if I was a player. I'm at home miserable over a missed opportunity and you're at the game pulling for the guys that just kick our a%^&es.

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 10:57 PM
49-47, Memphis. I am getting the impression that this game is starting to turn Memphis' way. They look fresher, and you know Rose has an extra gear left.

geraldsneighbor
04-07-2008, 10:59 PM
That would help Carolina if anything getting LB.

moonpie23
04-07-2008, 10:59 PM
classy roy, classy....

SupaDave
04-07-2008, 11:00 PM
There is a big difference between being in the title game with a shot at winning and losing in the final 8. Davidson had a great run, but they weren't good enough in the end and they never would have won it all.

But that's why we play the game! I can think of a few championships that were just seconds from slipping away before they ever happened...

SupaDave
04-07-2008, 11:02 PM
IC is going BALLISTIC! I've never seen anything like it. They might beat the longest thread ever in TWO hrs!!

BlueintheFace
04-07-2008, 11:03 PM
I thought Roy Williams was AGAINST big stickers. haha

Lavabe
04-07-2008, 11:03 PM
HILARIOUS!!

If you're in to schadenfreude, IC is the place to be. All Roy needs to do is the Danny Green dance, and I think we'll have a major revolt in he!!.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Chard
04-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I guess Roy doesn't give a sh1t about Carolina tonight.

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Kansas is in full Nonslaught.

They may have to start fouling. Memphis will have to hit free throws to close this out.

_Gary
04-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Game is getting to a critical point for Kansas. They are behind by 7 with less than 5 minutes to go. Gonna be tough.

Chard
04-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Crazy shot.

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:11 PM
The scary thing is, I think Rose meant to bank that in.

moonpie23
good lord...if memphis is gonna make shots like rose just did...it might go their way tonight

_Gary
Memphis just hit a ridiculous 3 pointer to put them up by 8. Kansas is toast.

HandofHenderson
There has been a lot of criticism of Duke's recruiting recently. But it's not recruiting that has caused us not to be playing tonight as can seen from the rankings of the recruiting classes (Rivals.com) over the past few years. So what is the cause?

Duke
8th- 2007- Singler, King, Smith
5th- 2006 Scheyer, Henderson, Zoubek, Thomas
2nd- 2005 McRoberts, Paulus, Boateng, Pocius, Boykin
NR- 2004 Nelson

Kansas
NR- 2007
12th- 2006
4th- 2005
2nd- 2004

Memphis
10th- 2007
NR- 2006
7th- 2005
9th- 2004

moonpie23
04-07-2008, 11:12 PM
i hate that commercial where the holes fan offers the duke fan the umbrella....I'd rather freeze...

SupaDave
04-07-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm watching the game but the real fun is at IC. The thread has gone from everything to "prick" Dukies to Dean's sense of fashion. It's amazing...

Indoor66
04-07-2008, 11:13 PM
i hate that commercial where the holes fan offers the duke fan the umbrella....I'd rather freeze...

Yeah, pull an Ashly Judd.

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Might be time for KU to start fouling.

Cicero
04-07-2008, 11:18 PM
I simply howled in laughter when I saw Roy wearing that thing. I then realized something...

it sure beat the tie he was wearing the other night.:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe, I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who noticed that atrocious tie. What was Ol' Roy thinking? And how could people complain about his timeout strategy--obviously the tie threw his team off, and more timeouts just would have exacerbated the problem!

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Ballgame.

60-53.

This will be remembered as Ol' Roy's Lost Weekend.

devildeac
04-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Ask and ye shall receive. (http://www.ku.edu/about/traditions/chant.shtml)

Pretty much the same info here. (http://kuathletics.cstv.com/trads/kan-rock-chalk-chant.html)

thanks for the linkies. just one question: if Roosevelt were alive today, would he reconsider his claim that 'rock, chalk, jayhawk, KU' was the greatest cheer ever and replace it with 'Go to Hell, Carolina, Go to Hell?':D Whaddaya all think?

Chard
04-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Ballgame.

60-53.

This will be remembered as Ol' Roy's Lost Weekend.

Ha, ha. Not. This will be interesting.

62 - 60

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Remember, Self got the ball out of Curry's hands before the last play at the Regional.

Let's see what he has cooked up here. He's a great defensive strategist.

TJ99
04-07-2008, 11:26 PM
There is a screen cap of Roy over on statefans....

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178#s=178&f=2515&t=2325952&p=2

DevilAlumna
04-07-2008, 11:28 PM
There are some intriguing non-calls going on here...

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Unbelievable. CDR gags on two free throws and Kansas, who rebounds incredibly, can't come down with the board.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

Crazie'11
04-07-2008, 11:29 PM
How was that a good no-call? That shouldve been a tech.

dukemsu
There are some intriguing non-calls going on here...

I'll be interested to see some replays on that Kansas drive. Looked like a lot of contact.

BlueintheFace
Interesting last minute... was it a foul? I wouldn't have called it. Huge offensive rebound and then CDR almost throws the game away...

devildeac
04-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Probably a good no call on the slamming the ball off the court by Memphis just now but I think Daniel Ewing just got whistled for a T anyway;)

BlueintheFace
04-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Woooooooooow

_Gary
04-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Wow, Kansas actually had multiple chances to tie or take the lead in the last 1/2 minute of this game and they blew it. Now, after getting the break they needed by having Memphis miss both foul shots and yet they can't block out and Memphis will now get two more foul shots to seal the deal. 10 seconds left. Missed the first! He's got one more and this is the big one. He hits the second. Kansas can tie with a 3 and... does!!!! Overtime!

Chard
04-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Holy moly! Told ya it would be interesting. I gotta believe the loss of Dorsey will doom Memphis.

dukemsu
This is a crock. Memphis had every chance to win and gagged at the stripe.

'Course, they'll probably still win.

That was some kind of 3 pointer at the end.

VaDukie
When was the last time the national title game went to OT?

devildeac
looks like Memphis just missed a perfect opportunity with only 2.1 seconds to go;)

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:33 PM
When was the last time the national title game went to OT?

1997. Arizona over Kentucky.

SupaDave
04-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Oh yeah - you kinda need to hit free throws too!

DevilAlumna
04-07-2008, 11:34 PM
OT! KU's got the big Mo on their side....

Does the whole Memphis team practice that horrid free throw stance/technique??

(And how come Snrubchat is down?! :()

Exiled_Devil
04-07-2008, 11:34 PM
This game has been all I hoped for. Now Memphis needs to win for my brackets...

geraldsneighbor
04-07-2008, 11:35 PM
So much for hitting them when you need to.

eddiehaskell
04-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Oh my great PRESSURE shot by Kansas. I love it.

If Memphis loses, Calipari will never live it down - "We'll hit them when it matters" YEAH RIGHT!

This has been a great game.

geraldsneighbor
04-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Roy gave it a fist pump.

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:37 PM
There's that lob off the ball screen again.

eddiehaskell
04-07-2008, 11:37 PM
I set my DVR to record the game with 8 minutes left because I had a feeling it would get good.

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Okay Cal. Time to do some of that coaching stuff.

Tucknut
04-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Shaquille O'Neal would be proud of these guys.

geraldsneighbor
Does Roy help cut the nets down if KU can hold on? The championship hat would look good with that sticker.

banneheim
Would this big the biggest choke in Finals Game?????

Chard
04-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Does Roy help cut the nets down if KU can hold on? The championship hat would look good with that sticker.

If Kansas hangs on they have got to get a shot of Roy celebrating.

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:40 PM
I was about to ask that myself about Roy. Lot of time left, though.

eddiehaskell
04-07-2008, 11:41 PM
I have a feeling Roy is secretly rooting against Kansas. "Dangumit!! I leave after 15 years and they come back to beat me in the final four and finally win another national championship."

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:41 PM
That was one awful possession by KU.

DevilAlumna
04-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Pretty outlet to Rush, and kudos to him for sticking with the rebound.

BlueintheFace
04-07-2008, 11:44 PM
remember when everyone said Memphis can't shoot free throws .... turns out they were right. Biggest Choke ever in a NC. (that might be a slight exaggeration, then again, maybe not)

Chard
Oy! One possession game. No double OT. Please!

geraldsneighbor
I want this to keep going. Really a classic in front of us tonight. For every one like this there are 9 Michigan St-Floridas.

dukemsu
Let's see if Rose or CDR can get a steal here. Biggest possession of the game to this point.

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Now it's KU's turn to make a 1 and 1.

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:45 PM
I want this to keep going. Really a classic in front of us tonight. For every one like this there are 9 Michigan St-Floridas.

I rather enjoyed Michigan State/Florida, myself.

banneheim
04-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Does anyone else think it was a mistake for the box and one zone by Kansas in the 2nd half?

geraldsneighbor
Slipped infront of the Memphis bench...hmmmmm

Acymetric
What a terrible time for a slippery floor!

BlueintheFace
This is one freaking weird game.

moonpie23
04-07-2008, 11:48 PM
it's OVAH!!!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!! CONGRATS CHAMPS....!!!

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Does anyone else think it was a mistake for the box and one zone by Kansas in the 2nd half?

I think there have been a lot of strange coaching moves both ways. That was one of them.

Troublemaker
04-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Yeah, a terrific game. A shame that either team has to lose. I do feel bad for Memphis right now.

DevilAlumna
Man, I feel for the Memphis kids who missed those FT's... they're never gonna forget that pain.

Chard
This is one freaking weird game.

True. Right down to the first of that last one and one.

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:50 PM
it's OVAH!!!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!! CONGRATS CHAMPS....!!!

Cue up that haunting chant.

banneheim
04-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Note to self: Making FTs=Win close games

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Easily one of the greatest gag jobs in the history of the Final Four.

Way to go, Cal.

geraldsneighbor
04-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Fundamentals, first step you can take to be a title contender. Lets hope this time next year our celebration will be going on.

dukemsu
04-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Yeah, a terrific game. A shame that either team has to lose. I do feel bad for Memphis right now.

Good point.

davekay1971
04-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Fundamentals, first step you can take to be a title contender. Lets hope this time next year our celebration will be going on.

Amen to that. Congrats to Kansas.

Chard
04-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Man, I feel for the Memphis kids who missed those FT's... they're never gonna forget that pain.

Note to self: Making FTs=Win close games

I think they had to be thinking about it. It had been talked about over and over again. Too bad it caught up to them in the championship.

Congrats, KU. I liked that team. Bill Self gets to hang one up. KU fans have to be on cloud 9.

That was a great game between great teams.

davekay1971
I think every Jayhawk fan in the nation ought to buy one of those stupid Got Roy shirts. Because they don't got him, and they don't need him.

devildeac

why would anyone EVER feel bad for unc?

geraldsneighbor
04-07-2008, 11:57 PM
What are you going to do. Someone has to win. Definetly feel for those kids though. Anyone consider Self is only 45 and has 350 wins already. Chalmers and Rush, see ya. Good luck in the NBA. Great game, congrats to the Jayhawks. Roy won something I guess.

eddiehaskell
04-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Congrats Kansas. They took down Davidson, UNC and Memphis - Kansas is the best team in the country.

Chalmers will forever be a legend.

I do feel bad for some of the Memphis kids - they will always be known as the team that lost it at the end.

BlueintheFace
"Cal's a terrific coach" - Self

Really?

Chicago 1995
Why on god's earth do you let KU get a three off at the end of regulation? How can you not foul?

It seems to me that up three, I've got a better chance winning if Sherron Collins is shooting to FTs with less than 5 seconds left than if Mario Chalmers is shooting 48% from behind the arc.

48% freaking percent. And you let him shoot a three?

It's too easy a shot and guys are too good at it anymore. You're better served to not let a team TRY a three than it is to risk letting that triple get in the air.

I'm pretty sure our women's fans would agree. :(

DevilAlumna
04-07-2008, 11:59 PM
ooh, ooh, my favorite part of EVERY tourney -- One Shining Moment!!

The ones from '91 and '01 still make me cry.

(Hey, I'm a girl, it happens.)

Cicero
04-07-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm excited that he gets to celebrate a national championship this year!

Of course, I'm much more excited that it wasn't UNC. It'll be interesting to see if Ol' Roy tries to take credit for the win somehow.

dukemsu
04-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Why on god's earth do you let KU get a three off at the end of regulation? How can you not foul?

It seems to me that up three, I've got a better chance winning if Sherron Collins is shooting to FTs with less than 5 seconds left than if Mario Chalmers is shooting 48% from behind the arc.

48% freaking percent. And you let him shoot a three?

It's too easy a shot and guys are too good at it anymore. You're better served to not let a team TRY a three than it is to risk letting that triple get in the air.

I'm pretty sure our women's fans would agree. :(

There were a lot of plays that will be second, third, and fourth-guessed. This is one of them.

I used to joke that Sweaty must have gone into seclusion after Duke came back on him in the 01 semifinal. I think Cal will be feeling equally bad.

yancem
04-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Probably a good no call on the slamming the ball off the court by Memphis just now but I think Daniel Ewing just got whistled for a T anyway;)

With hindsight I guess that the non tech call on the slammed ball is ok, Kansas won the game anyway. But seriously, I'm pretty sure that the rules are pretty clear that if you slam the ball (regardless of if your frustrated with yourself or a bad call) its a tech. You hate to see games turn on such a minor thing but its not unreasonable to not only expect for players at this level to keep their heads but to also hold them to the rules. What if the refs didn't call the tech on Weber for calling a timeout that Michigan didn't have? Is there really a big difference?

BlueintheFace
04-08-2008, 12:05 AM
What if the refs didn't call the tech on Weber for calling a timeout that Michigan didn't have? Is there really a big difference?

uhhhh YES. Very big difference. One occurs during a crucial play-- the other happens at a dead ball with a player who wasn't even involved in the previous play.

wiscodevil
04-08-2008, 12:10 AM
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul
foul

dukemsu
04-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Cal looks like he's been dragged out behind a bar and beaten senseless.

Chicago 1995
04-08-2008, 12:14 AM
There were a lot of plays that will be second, third, and fourth-guessed. This is one of them.

I used to joke that Sweaty must have gone into seclusion after Duke came back on him in the 01 semifinal. I think Cal will be feeling equally bad.

I don't think there's much to second guess. I don't think this is one that's open for debate. Even if Chalmers misses, he shouldn't get to shoot the triple. It's bad coaching, and it's coaching grounded in the pre-three point era.

Eventually thinking will evolve, I would hope, toward fouling. The shooters are just too good anymore.

Chalmers is a 47% shooter. Do you really think you're going to go to OT one out of two times you foul at the five second mark? I would think coaches as smart as Cal, Sean Miller, Coach G, etc. would figure this out. All three have lost tourney games now by letting an opponents best three point shooter get a clean look rather than fouling. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Then again, I guess the game must be harder than we all think. Last night watching the end of the LSU-Tennessee game, the one thought I had before UT in bounded was that you have to double in the backcourt. Chancellor didn't and it cost him the game.

I haven't talked to any Hall of Famers since last night, but EVERYONE I talked to thought the same thing. You have to double, especially Candace. Sticking with the safe, standard, normal D, and not respecting time and situation cost LSU last night. It cost Memphis tonight. Everyone will focus on both teams FT shooting, but they had the games won regardless of the missed FTs. Bad strategic decisions in the last 10 seconds were their real undoing.

wiscodevil
04-08-2008, 12:15 AM
i was in a tournament fantasy pool.

2nd place nets over $2000, 3rd place wins back their entry fee. going into tonight's game, my team was in 2nd place, had no players left and was up 33 points over the 3rd place team. They had CDR (22 points) and S. Collins (11 points).

not happy.

Troublemaker
04-08-2008, 12:16 AM
There has been a lot of criticism of Duke's recruiting recently. But it's not recruiting that has caused us not to be playing tonight as can seen from the rankings of the recruiting classes (Rivals.com) over the past few years. So what is the cause?

Duke
8th- 2007- Singler, King, Smith
5th- 2006 Scheyer, Henderson, Zoubek, Thomas
2nd- 2005 McRoberts, Paulus, Boateng, Pocius, Boykin
NR- 2004 Nelson

Kansas
NR- 2007
12th- 2006
4th- 2005
2nd- 2004

Memphis
10th- 2007
NR- 2006
7th- 2005
9th- 2004

Brother, Duke does NOT have the talent of those two teams. Recruiting rankings, for many reasons, shouldn't be treated as gospel.

eddiehaskell
04-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Yes, Memphis and Kansas have more talent. Throw rankings out the window.

I doubt any of Duke's starters would start for Memphis or Kansas.

yancem
04-08-2008, 12:29 AM
uhhhh YES. Very big difference. One occurs during a crucial play-- the other happens at a dead ball with a player who wasn't even involved in the previous play.

I get your point but if the rule says that if a player does X it is a technical and the player does X (whether its spiking the ball or calling a time out) shouldn't the rule be applied? I know that it was a dead ball and no one wants to make that call but if had been against Duke and they lost because of the non-call, how would you feel?

In football they have rules about spiking the ball (non TD) and removing your helmet on the field. Both are usually, dead ball infractions and both get called pretty religiously.

eddiehaskell
04-08-2008, 12:35 AM
If it was a court case, the refs would probably be found guilty of not making the correct call.

However, I'd be willing to bet that with no dog in the fight - 95% of basketball fans don't want to see such a stupid call decide a game.

bluedevildaddy
04-08-2008, 12:37 AM
I get your point but if the rule says that if a player does X it is a technical and the player does X (whether its spiking the ball or calling a time out) shouldn't the rule be applied? I know that it was a dead ball and no one wants to make that call but if had been against Duke and they lost because of the non-call, how would you feel?

In football they have rules about spiking the ball (non TD) and removing your helmet on the field. Both are usually, dead ball infractions and both get called pretty religiously.

The difference is if a player or coach calls a time out, when a team has no timeouts remaining it is an automatic technical foul by rule. A technical foul called for bouncing a ball off of the court in anger , or otherwise, is a discretionary call for the referees to make if they choose, it is not an automatic call. Obviously most times the refs do call a "T" in that situation a la "if that ball comes down I'm calling a technical", but they don't have to.

KandG
04-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Great game, but surprisingly tough to stomach at the end...just too reminiscent of our women's devastating loss two years ago in the championship game -- Abby missing a key free throw, and us not fouling and giving up the 3 to Maryland that forced overtime.

Calipari claimed in the post game comments that they did try to foul on the last play, though the ESPN guys are claiming that the Memphis players never tried. Cal's description of the way everything unfolded at the end sort of backs him up (Collins stumbled when handing off to Chalmers, presumably from the attempted foul), but Chalmers got too good a look, even with a hand in his face.

You could tell from CDR's body language in the final minute that he was going to miss all those free throws. He could have taken more time off the clock if he had given it up or tried to dribble away from defenders, but he was alarmingly casual in the way he was dribbling into traffic in drawing the foul. He's going to remember those missed FTs the rest of his life.

The1Bluedevil
04-08-2008, 01:14 AM
And I thought the 04 Semi's was a collapse

nyr484
04-08-2008, 01:23 AM
I don't know if anyone else saw Cal's postgame interview, but he said that they tried to foul Sherron Collins on the last play of regulation and that the refs didn't call the foul. There was contact but it looked like Collins just slipped a little right before he made the pass to Chalmers and so the non-call is understandable. His words.

shadowfax336
04-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Yes, Memphis and Kansas have more talent. Throw rankings out the window.

D-Marc certainly would have started for both, there aren't really teams in the country that 3rd team all americans can't start for. I would think that Singler would start for either as well (but definitely Memphis over Dozier) and Henderson would certainly have a chance. Probably not Paulus (as much as I love him) and certainly not Lance though. Ironically enough, Scheyer actually might have the best chance of anybody besides D-Marc.

yancem
04-08-2008, 08:47 AM
The difference is if a player or coach calls a time out, when a team has no timeouts remaining it is an automatic technical foul by rule. A technical foul called for bouncing a ball off of the court in anger , or otherwise, is a discretionary call for the referees to make if they choose, it is not an automatic call. Obviously most times the refs do call a "T" in that situation a la "if that ball comes down I'm calling a technical", but they don't have to.

Maybe I'm mistaken (I'll have to look the rule up) but I thought slamming/spiking the ball was an automatic technical. The only room for judgment, I thought, was if the bouncing of the ball constituted slamming or spiking (vs a hard dribble). In this case, the ball went 12'-15' in the air, not much room for debate.

If this type of tech is truly discretionary, then I guess its not a bad no call and yes I would prefer that a game to be decided this way but I would also rather a game not get decided because a player call a time out he didn't have. To me they are both silly mental errors and I would rather games be won or lost by actual basketball plays but refs are given rules they are supposed to enforce, so they enforce them. That's part of the game.

rsvman
04-08-2008, 09:26 AM

Flat BS.

Bluedog
04-08-2008, 10:29 AM
For the talk about how depth is so important to win a championship and how we never go deep enough, it's interesting to look at how deep the finalists from this year went in the championship game, in an OT game no less:

Kansas - 7 players had 5 or more minutes
Memphis - 6 players had 5 or more minutes (3 played 42+ min with Rose playing all 45 min)

Clearly, Duke's problem is that we don't play 9-10 players every game :rolleyes: I think pretty much every coach goes with his best 7 players or so when it's the most important game of the season (as has been demonstrated by other posters in the past). Although you could argue that Memphis was out of gas in the OT, while Kansas was fresher since they had one more player subbing in. But I think we all know that without Dorsey in OT, Memphis was just at a huge disadvantage.

greybeard
04-08-2008, 12:43 PM
I think that Kansas had the better of the play the entire game. Arthur was magnificant and was the best player on the court. All three Kansas bigs played exceptionally well, and the fourth, the one who was the best against Carolina, was barely needed.

As for coaching, I think that the coach that made the most misstakes was Self. That box and one, and than the use of a zone after that, gave Memphis the lead that they would not have had in a straight man-up context. I think that the two defenses were designed to confuse and did not. An example of over coaching by a guy who proclaimed that he won the previous game by just letting his guys play.

The guys in the booth calling Calipari a liar is, to say the least, unseemly. How the hell do they know that he did not tell his guys to foul? He says it on national TV and they say that it didn't happen. They should fire what's his name for saying it.

How is it possible that Calipari would have lied about such a matter. Think about it. If his players disputed him, and said he falsely threw them under the bus, he's done. Jay needs to apologize, and fast!

eddiehaskell
04-08-2008, 01:08 PM
D-Marc certainly would have started for both, there aren't really teams in the country that 3rd team all americans can't start for. I would think that Singler would start for either as well (but definitely Memphis over Dozier) and Henderson would certainly have a chance. Probably not Paulus (as much as I love him) and certainly not Lance though. Ironically enough, Scheyer actually might have the best chance of anybody besides D-Marc.For Kansas, who does Dmarc start over?

Mario Chalmers (tourney MOP) or Brandon Rush (team's leading scorer)? I'm sorry, but from what I saw of Dmarc, the last 2.5 months of the season, there is no way he starts over either of those.

Who does Dmarc start over for Memphis? Certainly not CDR - maybe Antonio Anderson.

If Singler is playing more in his natural position, I'm starting Darrell Arthur over him. If he's playing the 4 spot, he might have a better chance, although right now, the 250lb senior Darnell Jackson starts on my team.

For Memphis, I might start Singler over Dozier. With Dozier being a junior, it would be close though.

Anyway, bottom line - both teams are more talented than Duke regarless of high school rankings.

CDu
04-08-2008, 01:17 PM
For Kansas, who does Dmarc start over?

Mario Chalmers (tourney MOP) or Brandon Rush (team's leading scorer)? I'm sorry, but from what I saw of Dmarc, the last 2.5 months of the season, there is no way he starts over either of those.

Who does Dmarc start over for Memphis? Certainly not CDR - maybe Antonio Anderson.

If Singler is playing more in his natural position, I'm starting Darrell Arthur over him. If he's playing the 4 spot, he might have a better chance, although right now, the 250lb senior Darnell Jackson starts on my team.

For Memphis, I might start Singler over Dozier. With Dozier being a junior, it would be close though.

Anyway, bottom line - both teams are more talented than Duke regarless of high school rankings.

I could see Nelson starting for UNC and Memphis. He'd start for UNC ahead of Ginyard, as he's better both offensively and defensively. He'd start at Memphis ahead of Anderson, despite being probably three inches shorter. He might or might not start at UCLA, as Westbrook is really good with the ball as a second attacking playmaker, and Schipp is a really good perimeter shooter. He certainly COULD start, but it would come down to how Howland wanted to play his rotation. As for Kansas, he would not start over Rush. And given how strong Chalmers is defensively, I'd be inclined to believe he'd be the sixth man there.

Also, I'd say Singler would start at UCLA at the four spot. Singler might also start at UNC over Thompson. Given what Kansas likes to do, I suspect Singler wouldn't start at Kansas. He might, however, start at Memphis. Memphis had a pretty good post scorer in Dozier and a dominant defensive presence in Dorsey. It would depend whether Calipari wanted Dozier's post scoring or Singler's scoring versatility.

That said, I think this is a pointless discussion. Nelson and Singler might or might not start given team tendencies, but they'd play substantial (20+) minutes for sure. And we have several other players who have the potential to start on any of those teams given time/experience. Henderson, Scheyer, and Smith, for example, all would bring something very valuable to each of those teams.

eddiehaskell
04-08-2008, 01:52 PM
^ The point is: Duke doesn't have as much talent despite having a "better" recruiting class. You can't put too much stock in high school rankings. They are a pretty accurate estimate, but not science.

You said it yourself - Duke would likely start no one at Kansas and maybe 1 player at Memphis (Dmarc over Antonio Anderson).

Sure, many Duke players would make a significant contribution (I have no doubt), but that isn't the point. The two teams playing for this year's national championship were on a different level talent wise.

Classof06
04-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Flat BS.

Uhhhh, which one of our starters do you think would start for either Memphis or Kansas and who would they start over? I agree with eddiehaskell.

camion
04-08-2008, 02:32 PM
The only player I saw on either team who absolutely would have started for Duke as a freshman was Rose. Duke has one senior and one junior getting major minutes. Both Memphis and Kansas have four juniors and seniors getting similar minutes. I don't think there's much difference in the talent level. Memphis and Kansas have more experienced talent than Duke. That's one reason why Duke should be better next year. Our talent gets older.

Here are the top seven for each team in the general order of minutes played per game.

Memphis
Rose Fr, Douglas-Roberts Jr, Dozier Jr, Anderson Jr, Dorsey Sr, Taggert So, Allen Sr

Kansas
Rush Jr, Chalmers Jr, Arthur So, Jackson Sr, Collins So, Robinson Sr, Kaun Sr

Duke
Nelson Sr, Singler Fr, Paulus Jr, Henderson So, Scheyer So, Thomas So, Smith Fr

Classof06
04-08-2008, 02:34 PM
I could see Nelson starting for UNC and Memphis. He'd start for UNC ahead of Ginyard, as he's better both offensively and defensively. He'd start at Memphis ahead of Anderson, despite being probably three inches shorter. He might or might not start at UCLA, as Westbrook is really good with the ball as a second attacking playmaker, and Schipp is a really good perimeter shooter. He certainly COULD start, but it would come down to how Howland wanted to play his rotation. As for Kansas, he would not start over Rush. And given how strong Chalmers is defensively, I'd be inclined to believe he'd be the sixth man there.

Also, I'd say Singler would start at UCLA at the four spot. Singler might also start at UNC over Thompson. Given what Kansas likes to do, I suspect Singler wouldn't start at Kansas. He might, however, start at Memphis. Memphis had a pretty good post scorer in Dozier and a dominant defensive presence in Dorsey. It would depend whether Calipari wanted Dozier's post scoring or Singler's scoring versatility.

That said, I think this is a pointless discussion. Nelson and Singler might or might not start given team tendencies, but they'd play substantial (20+) minutes for sure. And we have several other players who have the potential to start on any of those teams given time/experience. Henderson, Scheyer, and Smith, for example, all would bring something very valuable to each of those teams.

I'd have to disagree. No way Demarcus starts over Antonio Anderson for Memphis and I think him starting over Ginyard is feasible but still probably unlikely. The only one I could maybe see is Singler starting at the 4 for UCLA but Mbah a Moute is no slouch, now. Besides that one, I think you're really stretching, CDu.

Like you said, however, this is totally pointless speculation.

devildeac
04-08-2008, 05:03 PM
This isn't anything to do with the fact that KU beat his team a few nights before this happened.

Roy's first mistake was to go public with the fact that he was hurt that some KU fans still hold a grudge against him for leaving KU the way he did. He has moved on to UNC and he should more than happy with the UNC support. It would show that he has moved on and was happy with UNC. The hurt feeling might indicate he hasn't.

Secondly, being he made point 1 publicly known, his act of wearing the jayhawk sticker was bound to make some KU fans a little happier but make some UNC fans worry about his loyalty to UNC.

Supporting, cheering for a team is one thing but wearing something of theirs is another.

This all reminds me of that picture of Roy standing next to that guy with the shirt that says "I don't give a #$%^ about North Carolina."

Correction-it was I don't give a $h1t about north carolina(hope that makes it by the filters/censors:D

alaskan assassin
04-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Who do you think Larry Brown wanted to win?

bloodevil
04-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I, for one, am appalled that the chicken took the place of the Eve ribbon. This is further proof that ribbons for any cause are just for show. They don't do anything but make the sanctimonious wearer feel better and allow those same people to vilify non-ribbon wearers.

CrazyCat
04-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Well, think of it this way, if he didn't look stupid in the ugly blue jacket, he looked even more like an idiot wearing a sticker on his shirt. I think it was a slap in the face to his UNC team quite frankly. If I was on the team, I would really peeved off.

mgtr
04-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Best situation -- Duke goes to final four, and wins game.

Second best situation -- UNC goes to final four, loses, and is further humiliated by idiotic coach supporting the team who beat them.

astoria26
04-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I think right now the comparison isn't fair. Duke this year was clearly not ready for a deep run, so comparising starters is a bit moot. What we should look at is down the road. For example, look at Kansas the past 3 years:

2005 - lost in first round
2006 - lost in first round
2007 - lost in Elite Eight

That 2004 class that lost in the 2005 first round was the foundation of this year's championship team, with freshmen Kaun, Jackson, and Robinson, now all seniors. 2005, they bring in Rush, Wright (gone), and Chalmers. 2006, they have a nice core now and bring in Arthur and Collins.

This year they bring in Aldrich . . but they didn't even really need him. They had a senior and junior core that has improved each year and was ready for the big stage this year. Their defense on Rose and CDR last night was outstanding. Every starter that they have will probably start for every other team in America. This is an example of how the "richest" team - ie the most complete collection of talent and athleticism - won.

And this is why I'm looking forward to the Duke team of 2009-10. Hopefully, these are the 7 guys that we can count on, and compare favorably, to every other team come April 2010:

4 guards: Scheyer (sr), Nolan (jr), EWill (so), Boynton (fr)

3 forwards: Singler (jr), Thomas (sr), 2009 recruit* (fr)

* Obviously, that 3rd forward, the 2009 recruit, is still up in the air. But regardless of whether we get a 5 star, or Zoubek (sr) improves enough to merit 15/20 minutes in a championship game, I think we're covered in that area. That’s 2 seniors, 2 juniors, 1 soph, 2 frosh. THAT is the combination of talent and athleticism that Kansas has this year . . and hopefully will get us far in 2010.

I also invite you to check out my game blog for the Memphis - Kansas game, hot off the press! Enjoy:

http://5on5.blogspot.com/2008/04/1s-memphis-vs-1s-kansas-game-blog-ncaa.html