PDA

View Full Version : Roy Williams and Reading Comprehension

DevilWolf
04-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Did anyone else get a kick out of Roy saying something along the lines of "It's like that story about the little engine that could where he tried so hard to get to the top of the mountain that he didn't have enough left in the tank when he got to the top"?

Don't know why ... just struck me really funny that he botched the story line of one of the most famous children's stories of all time (Second place behind Slick Rick's - "A Children's Story").

jipops
04-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I thought that was both absolutely hilarious and pathetic. That sound-byte is T-shirt worthy and lends itself to numerous jokes.

"rat-a-tat-tat and all the heels scattered"

IStillHateJimBain
04-07-2008, 09:57 AM
All that means is Williams is smart enough to be President of the United States.

DukieInKansas
04-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Did anyone else get a kick out of Roy saying something along the lines of "It's like that story about the little engine that could where he tried so hard to get to the top of the mountain that he didn't have enough left in the tank when he got to the top"?

Don't know why ... just struck me really funny that he botched the story line of one of the most famous children's stories of all time (Second place behind Slick Rick's - "A Children's Story").

Thank you - I thought I was mis-remembering the story. I thought the little engine thought he could and thought he could and then he did make it to the top. And it was all downhill from there. :)

Johnboy
04-07-2008, 10:17 AM
The Little Blue Engine
by Shel Silverstein

The little blue engine looked up at the hill.
His light was weak, his whistle was shrill.
He was tired and small, and the hill was tall,
And his face blushed red as he softly said,
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

So he started up with a chug and a strain,
And he puffed and pulled with might and main.
And slowly he climbed, a foot at a time,
And his engine coughed as he whispered soft,
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

With a squeak and a creak and a toot and a sigh,
With an extra hope and an extra try,
He would not stop now he neared the top
And strong and proud he cried out loud,
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

He was almost there, when
CRASH! SMASH! BASH!
He slid down and mashed into engine hash
On the rocks below... which goes to show
If the track is tough and the hill is rough,
THINKING you can just ain't enough!

hurleyfor3
04-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Hmmm... "little blue" has to be baby blue, right? Shel's engine is certainly the right color. :D

Cavlaw
04-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Please at least scan existing threads before posting a new one. This particular nugget from Roy Williams has already been raised in the Kansas-UNC game thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8582).