PDA

View Full Version : Maryland's Hopes Killed by Bad Call

JBDuke
03-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Down 2, DJ Strawberry drives the lane, takes a pass from Ibekwe, and gets fouled as a defender slips under him and doesn't give him room to come down. But the ref calls it a charge! Instead of going to the line with a chance to tie, Butler gets the ball.

If I was a real Maryland fan, I'd be furious. And you KNOW this is gonna fuel their Terping.

Cameron
03-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Good, I picked Butler anyway. Have a nice flight, Gary.

DukeBlood
03-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Down 2, DJ Strawberry drives the lane, takes a pass from Ibekwe, and gets fouled as a defender slips under him and doesn't give him room to come down. But the ref calls it a charge! Instead of going to the line with a chance to tie, Butler gets the ball.

If I was a real Maryland fan, I'd be furious. And you KNOW this is gonna fuel their Terping.

I thought it was a Terrible call as well... But when you pick Butler to win. Can't complain. What has happened to Good officiating? Seems like EVERY game there is controversy(sp).

dukemsu
03-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Somehow, Gary will make it Duke's fault.

That was an absolutely horrendous call, though. That official will not be working the Final Four.

jimbonelson
03-17-2007, 05:31 PM
could not happen to a nicer team

BlueDevilBaby
03-17-2007, 05:34 PM
From Maryland's perspective, it should not have come to that. But I'm glad to see Gary go home.

pacificrounder
03-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Gary Williams: Clearly Duke's early exit freed up the cash that was earmarked to go to the officials for the rest of the tournament. On the plane-ride back to Durham, K made the call to split the money evenly between the MD/Butler game and the UNC/Michigan State game officials in favor of the non-ACC teams. It is, of course, all Duke's fault that Maryland once again failed to show up against an inferior team.

Bostondevil
03-17-2007, 05:55 PM
I can't help it and I can't help but feel slightly bad about it but . . .

Who knew? Turns out BUTLER gets all the calls!

phaedrus
03-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Gary Williams: Clearly Duke's early exit freed up the cash that was earmarked to go to the officials for the rest of the tournament. On the plane-ride back to Durham, K made the call to split the money evenly between the MD/Butler game and the UNC/Michigan State game officials in favor of the non-ACC teams. It is, of course, all Duke's fault that Maryland once again failed to show up against an inferior team.

in fact, duke tanked the vcu game on purpose to facilitate this. after all duke nation would rather see their team lose than our team win.

wait no. that's the maryland fans who feel that way about us.

Atlanta Duke
03-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Post-game Gary - "after you win a national championship like we have you have to expect that you will have bad calls against you unless you play in Durham or Chapel Hill."

Channing
03-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Ill be honest - I was happy to see UMD go home. I already dont like that Vazquez kid - and watching him do his showboating thing and then get sent home was nice. Also, I love the fact that Mike Jones pumped his fists at the Butler crowd earlier in the game, and it was him who couldnt handle the pass to at least try and tie the game.

Additionally, on the call, what it looked like to me is that DJ was coming down for a jump stop before going back up. I dont know waht the rule is there, but I dont think the defender slipped in underneath him on his way up to the hoop.

grossbus
03-17-2007, 06:48 PM
"Somehow, Gary will make it Duke's fault."

could be the post of the day.

"Post-game Gary - "after you win a national championship like we have you have to expect that you will have bad calls against you unless you play in Durham or Chapel Hill.""

did he really say that?

Channing
03-17-2007, 07:03 PM

"Post-game Gary - "after you win a national championship like we have you have to expect that you will have bad calls against you unless you play in Durham or Chapel Hill.""

did he really say that?

Grossbus - You have to be kidding. I didnt see the press conference but there is no way he said that . . . is there?

Atlanta Duke
03-17-2007, 07:04 PM

did he really say that?

Nope - misguided attempt at humor by me regarding Gary's constant references to having won a NC and being paranoid about Duke and UNC getting all the calls.

grossbus
03-17-2007, 07:07 PM
"Nope - misguided attempt at humor by me regarding Gary's constant references to having won a NC and being paranoid about Duke and UNC getting all the calls."

well, you captured the essensce of gary very well. :)

Channing
03-17-2007, 07:09 PM
indeed you did . . . the sad part is that such a statement is not wholly unbelievable if attributed to him.

jjasper0729
03-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Nope - misguided attempt at humor by me regarding Gary's constant references to having won a NC and being paranoid about Duke and UNC getting all the calls.

it wasn't misguided.. it was friggin hilarious

KandG
03-17-2007, 08:43 PM
The Terps should have gone out in the first round...even their fans know that as bad as the call was, they didn't play with a tenth of the poise of Butler all game, and deserved to lose. The better team won.

Lavabe
03-17-2007, 09:51 PM
The Terps should have gone out in the first round...even their fans know that as bad as the call was, they didn't play with a tenth of the poise of Butler all game, and deserved to lose. The better team won.

:D When does the riot begin?

Now if only Izzo can beat the baby blues!

Cheers,
Lavabe

3rd Dukie
03-17-2007, 10:19 PM
could not happen to a nicer team

Amen, Bro!!

Cameron
03-18-2007, 01:18 AM
Oh Gary, too bad you'll probably never again smell the Elite Eight. It is a pure shame.

Lulu
03-18-2007, 06:25 AM
After all the Terping we've endured, can this possibly upset any Duke fan? Gives me the giggles whenever Maryland gets screwed by a bad call. I'm all for the ACC, just not the Williams' groups. Never.

That said, although I was certainly pulling for MSU today, the first thing I noticed in the brackets, and which made me quite happy, was that either UNC or MSU was going home after the 2nd round. No sense in letting both those coaches gain on K... Izzo's expressed idolatry of K and Duke always made me uneasy anyway, can't quite put my finger on why that is, though it certainly didn't help those times when he beat us.

I can't even contemplate what it will mean if the 'holes win 4 more games this year. I'd ask, but can't even say it.

grossbus
03-18-2007, 07:33 AM
"I can't even contemplate what it will mean if the 'holes win 4 more games this year. I'd ask, but can't even say it"

prolonged, extreme visceral discomfort.

4everTerping
03-18-2007, 08:49 AM
An awful lot of Duke fans making posts to this thread, and then you have the nerve to say Terps fans take more joy out of Duke losses than MD wins. The irony of that statement amid all these posts is classic.

That being said, I actually thought there should have been a no-call, not a block called on the Strawberry play, and was more bewildered by MD allowing Butler to run off 35 of the final 40 seconds, when it was only a 1-and-1 situation, not the double bonus.

devildownunder
03-18-2007, 08:55 AM
After all the Terping we've endured, can this possibly upset any Duke fan? Gives me the giggles whenever Maryland gets screwed by a bad call. I'm all for the ACC, just not the Williams' groups. Never.

Surely, there are many Duke fans who feel just like you do.

My unadulturated hatred of the evil smurfs is well documented here. But my "relationship" with Maryland is different. I actually like the team and the program in general but, much as might want to like Gary Williams, he makes that very difficult to do. The real problem I have with the turtles, though, is their fans. They seriously get on my nerves in so many ways. Someone else on this thread talked about how they would rather see us lose than see their own team win. I actually think that's true of some of them; they define themselves against us so much. I called this one terp alum on that after they won in 2002 and he got EXTREMLEY upset. I think I hit too close to home.

Anyway, I saw the second half of the Butler game and there I was cheering to for them to pull out the win -- for the acc and for my bracket -- but every time they failed or butler made a play, I would take perverse pleasure in knowing that their fanbase would suffer. And, once the game was over, I just had to laugh about the bad call, especially the way their fans booed every possession on which there was no foul called on a Duke player in the VCU game and cheered like mad when we lost.

Honestly, I feel like two different people watching their games.

feldspar
03-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Maryland's porous defense and awful defensive rebounding did them in, not a questionabe foul call.

gw67
03-18-2007, 12:22 PM
From my perspective, it was a bad call and Strawberry should have been awarded foul shots; however, the Terps were miserable from the line yesterday so he may not have made them. Butler is a fine team that plays an unorthodox style and they played about as well as they can yesterday. Their next opponenent will have several days to prepare for their four out (beyond the three-point line) offense and one wandering big man who picks off defenders. A team like Florida should not have any trouble beating them although their offensive style will likely keep the game low scoring.

The Terps did about as well as I thought they would. I figured 9-7 in the ACC with a win or two in each tourney. Strawberry, Jones and Ibekwe all had holes in their games but they will be difficult to replace. Gist, Vasquez, Hayes, and Osby will have to step up next year along with current freshmen, Milbourne/Burney, and incoming freshmen.

According to this morning's Post, when asked about the bad call, Williams refused to be baited stating that "we need the money at Maryland" referring to the fine if he said anything about the officials.

Even though I would like to see UVA, Virginia Tech and UNC continue to win, the three teams that I regularly root for are gone. Oh well, wait till next year (maybe)!

gw67

feldspar
03-18-2007, 12:45 PM
From my perspective, it was a bad call and Strawberry should have been awarded foul shots; however, the Terps were miserable from the line yesterday so he may not have made them.

Strawberry wouldn't have gotten foul shots. It would have been a player control foul which is not awarded foul shots.

throatybeard
03-18-2007, 12:48 PM
This whole tournament has been a trainwreck of missed foul shots.