PDA

View Full Version : JHU vs. Duke Lax

godukerocks
04-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I would love to see the start of the game, but instead I have to see overtime at Carolina.

Aren't they already getting enough media coverage this weekend?...

Trinity84
04-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Final: Duke wins 17 - 6.

It was clinic in the second half. The score was 4 - 4 at half. Greer scored 7 goals, all in the second half.

pfrduke
04-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Final: Duke wins 17 - 6.

It was clinic in the second half. The score was 4 - 4 at half. Greer scored 7 goals, all in the second half.

wow - great win for Duke!

devildeac
04-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Is Hopkins all that good this year? I thought they played the 'holes recently and lost by several goals and IIRC, their record was about 4-5. Still good to beat them no matter what their W-L record is.

FreezingDevil
04-05-2008, 09:13 PM
This was a big win no matter how you look at it. Yes, Hopkins was 3-5 coming into the game, but they are still a very good team. They came out ready to play and really took it to the Blue Devils. It wasn't until the end of the first half that Duke started to pull away, going up 8-4 at the break. The second half was quite possibly the best half of lacrosse I have seen Duke play since they absolutely spanked UVA three years ago in Koskinen. Duke played tough defense, rode the clear well, and executed at an insanely high level on offense. All in all, a great game by the Blue Devils. Let's hope that they can build off of their momentum and dominate in the post-season!

godukerocks
04-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Is Hopkins all that good this year? I thought they played the 'holes recently and lost by several goals and IIRC, their record was about 4-5. Still good to beat them no matter what their W-L record is.

I believe they were ranked #1 preseason, with almost everyone returning. For Duke to beat them by 11 is a very good sign for us, even with Hopkins' record.

chrishoke
04-05-2008, 10:00 PM
First time in the over 100 years of Hopkins lacrosse that they have lost 5 in a row. awesome butt kicking.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-05-2008, 10:19 PM
What a game to enjoy! Spectacular. And as the lights came on at dusk, didn't Koskinen and it's surrounds look lush and beautiful?! What an atmosphere. Gave me goosebumps! Now....for a number one ranking! These guys deserve no less!

Bless their hearts!
Love, Ima

Ignatius07
04-06-2008, 02:19 AM
When does the lacrosse post-season start? Seems to me it ends at the end of May.

Indoor66
04-06-2008, 10:18 AM
I am curious. How many people on this board have ever attended a LAX game?

DukeUsul
04-06-2008, 10:20 AM
I have. How bout a poll?

godukerocks
04-06-2008, 10:22 AM

I've attended a couple, including last year's women's victory over carolina, 11-10, and the drubbing Duke put on Virginia a few years ago.

Lavabe
04-06-2008, 10:22 AM

My daughter plays middle school lacrosse. I grew up in the Northeast and attended many a game. Men's and women's games are so different, but are both great.

By the way... the women host at 1PM #1 ranked Northwestern.
Cheers,
Lavabe

OZZIE4DUKE
04-06-2008, 10:33 AM

I went to two games last year. Loved them both!

I marvel how easily these guys throw and catch the ball with the sticks while running full out. I never played - it was at the same time as HS baseball and that was my first love. Wish lax had been a winter sport to fill the gap between football and baseball.

pfrduke
04-06-2008, 10:43 AM

I attended several while I was at Duke. Some similarities to basketball in the way they run offensive sets.

Indoor66
04-06-2008, 10:51 AM
I have. How bout a poll?

That might be a great idea. I have no idea how to construct a poll.

JasonEvans
04-06-2008, 10:56 AM
That might be a great idea. I have no idea how to construct a poll.

I am on it.

--Jason "mod to the rescue!" Evans

jjasper0729
04-06-2008, 11:35 AM
I went to a few when I was at Duke. Had to really pay attention, a must when doing the PA. Never saw a lacrosse game before then. Didn't know what to expect.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-06-2008, 11:56 AM
My grandson ("Native" to you guys.) got me started. He started playing in middle school, attends Duke camps. Now I hate to miss one of his games or any chance to see the Devils play. He still has to explain a lot of calls to me, though, so I remain frequently confused if he's not sitting next to me.

I think it's a beautiful, gutsy sport. And I like the sort of people you sit next to in the stands.

Love, Ima

chrishoke
04-06-2008, 12:27 PM
I've beern going to lacrosse games for years. My son played on the first team fielded by Broughton high in Raleigh. We were big Duke lacrosse fans by then. He now plays club lacrosse for Furman. the earlier comment about similarity to basketball sets and movement is spot on. It's a beautiful sport. Our best player, Dano, had 6 assists yesterday. Awesome teamwork.

FreezingDevil
04-06-2008, 12:42 PM
I attended several while I was at Duke. Some similarities to basketball in the way they run offensive sets.

Thats a great observation. I grew up playing lacrosse and basketball, so the similarities have always been evident to me. A strong defense requires essentially the same thing in both sports: blocking the passing lanes, communicating on rotations, switching off of screens, and giving quick help defense.

Clearing the ball to the offensive end is also very similar to moving the ball up the court on a full court press. To break the press, or "ride", the team has to make smart cutting passes, swing the ball to side to side, and avoid the double team traps. In lacrosse, a good clear can often result in a fast break with a long stick mid or defender taking a shot (like O'Hara's goal last night). I can't really think of an equivalent for that in basketball.

Offense in lacrosse is very similar to basketball. What you have is a mixture of carefully designed set plays and improvisation. As with the half court offense, the plays in lacrosse are incredibly intricate and require a great deal of good timing. Some plays require swinging the ball around the outside looking for a cutter inside. Thats how Greer got a fantastic goal on a man-up situation in the second half. Another successful lax play is to move the offense to one side, then unleash a player up top who will pull a strong move to the open space and take the shot. If the defense moves to block him off, then the player can pass to the open man for the shot. I saw Duke run this several times yesterday, usually with Danowski making the run. I have seen basketball teams that run this exact same play.

Obviously, these are two very different sports. One involves a big orange ball, the other includes hitting people with titanium sticks. Yet, they are both governed by a remarkably similar set of principles. Offense in both sports revolves around penetration, finding the open man, moving off the ball, using the angles and spacing, and improvising when a play breaks down. Defense requires good communication, blocking penetration, rotating assignments, and converting defensive stops into fast breaks. All in all, a fascinating comparison that makes me interested to see what our basketball team would think of lacrosse.

TillyGalore
04-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Does anyone know when the new rankings for college lax are going to be coming out?

Also, for Indoor66, I was the trainer for the Men's Lacrosse team during my undergraduate years almost 20 years ago. So yes, I've attended quite a few games during my lifetime, including a couple Duke games since I've lived here.

DukieInKansas
04-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Does watching on TV count? Too far away from Durham to go to a game.

Saturday was a perfect day - watched KU beat UNC then came home and watched the replay of the Duke lax victory over JHU.

TillyGalore
04-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Does watching on TV count? Too far away from Durham to go to a game.

Saturday was a perfect day - watched KU beat UNC then came home and watched the replay of the Duke lax victory over JHU.

I watched UVA beat UNC in lax - in OT at UNC, then Duke's victory, then the KU's thrashing of UNC. It was a great day!!

They will be on ESPNU again this Saturday against UVA.

DukieInKansas
04-07-2008, 02:59 PM
I'll be at work - hope to catch the replay on Saturday.

Brad Ross is a finalist for the Lowes Senior Class Award. You can vote here: http://www.seniorclassaward.com/

He is currently in 3rd place on the voting.

pratt '04
04-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Does anyone know when the new rankings for college lax are going to be coming out?

Duke is back to #1 in the media poll:

Inside Lacrosse (http://www.insidelacrosse.com/page.cfm?pagerid=65840&cat=67360&hidecontent=yes&id=186707)

TillyGalore
04-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Duke is back to #1 in the media poll:

Inside Lacrosse (http://www.insidelacrosse.com/page.cfm?pagerid=65840&cat=67360&hidecontent=yes&id=186707)

Yippee skippy!!!! Thank you, pratt '04, for posting this. :D :D :D

burnspbesq
04-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Foxborough sounds like a wonderful place to spend Memorial Day weekend.

devil84
04-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Men's lacrosse is doing very well this year. It's been an exciting year so far. The remaining games are televised on ESPNU, and are usually rebroadcast at least once, if not twice, within a couple of days. If you've never seen a lacrosse game, watching the Duke team is a great way to learn the sport. They make it look effortless.

Time to bump this to the top so we can vote for Blue Devil Brad Ross. He is a finalist for the Lowes Senior Class Award. You can vote here: http://www.seniorclassaward.com/

He's currently tied for third. I think this poll allows you to vote daily.

Native
04-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Time to bump this to the top so we can vote for Blue Devil Brad Ross. He is a finalist for the Lowes Senior Class Award. You can vote here: http://www.seniorclassaward.com/

It does a 15-year old's heart some good to see that JHU's Paul Rabil has a meager 2% of the vote. Guess that's one award he's not in the majority for.

Here's to Duke having a great season (with that convincing win @ Virginia last Saturday, the Blue Devils clearly showed why they're #1 in the country) and a deep run into the championships on Memorial Day.

-jk
04-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Men's lacrosse is doing very well this year. It's been an exciting year so far. The remaining games are televised on ESPNU, and are usually rebroadcast at least once, if not twice, within a couple of days. If you've never seen a lacrosse game, watching the Duke team is a great way to learn the sport. They make it look effortless.

He's currently tied for third. I think this poll allows you to vote daily.

OK, how does a guy from Army get voted to the top of the list? Are that many soldiers voting?

Candidate Name % of Votes
Craig Massie (Army) 27%
Ben Rubeor (University of Virginia) 23%
Brad Ross (Duke University) 16%
Pat Grimm (Yale University) 16%
Mike Leveille (Syracuse University) 7%
Fletcher Gregory (The Evil Empire) 3%
Paul Rabil (Johns Hopkins) 2%
Michael Corbolotti (Cornell University) 2%
Tommy Scherr (University of Delaware) 2%
Danny Nathan (Cornell University) 1%

-jk

TillyGalore
04-19-2008, 08:46 AM
For those not going to the football game today, the men's lacrosse game versus Army will be on ESPNU at noon.

Lavabe
04-19-2008, 09:29 AM
For those not going to the football game today, the men's lacrosse game versus Army will be on ESPNU at noon.

Is it my imagination, but just how many folks get ESPNU? It is not here in Atlanta on Comcast. Is it common within the university?

Dare I ask the dreaded question: how do we get ESPNU?:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Lavabe

godukerocks
04-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Is it my imagination, but just how many folks get ESPNU? It is not here in Atlanta on Comcast. Is it common within the university?

Cheers,
Lavabe

I do. For me, it comes with our digital cable package with Cox Communications. As for satellite, I have no clue.

roywhite
04-19-2008, 07:37 PM

Cheers,
Lavabe

ESPN-Unavailable?

On DirecTV, it's available as part of a supplemental sports package (which I think is an additional $10/month...has the regional foxsports, YES network, etc.)

Grey Devil
04-20-2008, 02:27 AM
Interesting poll. I went to several home matches when I was a student at Duke. I probably was at matches that were played during the 1970 and 1971 seasons. Unfortunately I haven't seen any live matches since then. I wonder if anyone here went to any lacrosse matches earlier than that?

Grey Devil