PDA

View Full Version : Alleva to LSU

Stray Gator
04-04-2008, 04:59 PM
According to this LSU site:

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=7733142

BlueintheFace
04-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Which means somebody is about to hit the AD lottery by getting the job at Duke...

Duvall
04-04-2008, 05:01 PM
According to this LSU site:

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=7733142

As Stray's link notes, it's being reported by a New Orleans TV station (http://www.wwltv.com/). Not yet official, but more than rumor.

blublood
04-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Wow, color me wrong! firealleva, are you thinking up new handles to yet to celebrate?

Surprisingly, that Tiger message board seemed pretty positive about the hire.

pfrduke
04-04-2008, 05:09 PM
He must have been extremely impressive in the interview. I wonder what the LSU hiring committee's take on Alleva's actions during the lacrosse mess is.

Mike Corey
04-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Let the search begin.

roywhite
04-04-2008, 05:12 PM
He must have been extremely impressive in the interview. I wonder what the LSU hiring committee's take on Alleva's actions during the lacrosse mess is.

In Louisiana, they would likely mistake a lacrosse stick for some kind of fishing net.

freedevil
04-04-2008, 05:13 PM
In Louisiana, they would likely mistake a lacrosse stick for some kind of fishing net.

HAHAHA. Ah, that made my day.

Duvall
04-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Let the search begin.

Are you confirming this report, or responding to it?

Mike Corey
04-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Are you confirming this report, or responding to it?

I wish Mr. Alleva good luck in his new job.

jdj4duke
04-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Now we know where Taylor King will end up-

yancem
04-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Is the AD position at LSU actually seen as a step up or is Alleva trying to distance himself from the lacrosse stuff?

bludev03
04-04-2008, 05:27 PM
(sings) O happy day! O happy day! When LSU took....Alleva away!!!:D :D :D :D

Duvall
04-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Baton Rouge Advocate (http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/breaking/17305899.html) sez Alleva expected to be LSU AD.

A-Tex Devil
04-04-2008, 05:41 PM
I was luke warm on Alleva. I thought he got a bad rap overall, but he was hardly an excellent AD.... that being said, I have no idea who we bring in.

Is there anyone internal? I kinda hope not. If we promote someone within, I think we all need to chip in and by each member of our athletic department and administration a hardcover, fully illustrated copy of "Who Moved My Cheese."

So let's brainstorm.... what private institutions or smaller public institutions at the D-1 or D-1AA level have had successful runs recently and have football programs?

David Morrison has done a pretty good job at TCU in 3 years. Plus he used to be commissioner of the Southern Conference and is a Burlington native according to his bio. Negative -- has a masters from UNC, but, hell, so do a lot of Blue Devils.

OK -- he's our top choice, I've decided all by myself, unless we can pull a coup and bring in some big public school AD. Others?

DukeDude
04-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Let the search begin.

Where do I apply?

msdukie
04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/04/lsu_to_hire_dukes_alleva_as_at.html

Presser - 7p Eastern time.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Let the search begin.

Let the search begin and end RIGHT HERE!

Someone above said don't hire someone from within. I agree. Let's hire someone from the outside of the current administration who knows and understands Duke, the Duke way, what's right with Duke sports and what's not, and where we want to be in 10 years and beyond. And someone who won't use this job as a stepping stone to another job. My first hire as AD would be DukeTaylor to handle fund raising activities.

I'll brush up the old resume' and send in my application over the weekend. I need y'all to start a right in campaign for me!

And please, no jokes about installing Bud Light taps in Cameron and Wallace Wade. That isn't going to happen.

weezie
04-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Does Mr Speedboat Pilot need any volunteers to help him pack?

Wow, the upcoming basketball banquet is going to be interesting....

And, PS Ozzie, I think it's time Duke hired a female AD.....someone like ME! But, I promise, I'll look into upgrading your Cameron seats.

grossbus
04-04-2008, 06:08 PM
alleva gone? good riddance?

ozzie in? i'm there.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-04-2008, 06:09 PM

ozzie in? i'm there.

Thank you for your support! Let the mail campaign to Talman Trask begin.

DukieInKansas
04-04-2008, 06:10 PM

Someone above said don't hire someone from within. I agree. Let's hire someone from the outside of the current administration who knows and understands Duke, the Duke way, what's right with Duke sports and what's not, and where we want to be in 10 years and beyond. And someone who won't use this job as a stepping stone to another job. My first hire as AD would be DukeTaylor to handle fund raising activities.

I'll brush up the old resume' and send in my application over the weekend. I need y'all to start a right in campaign for me!

And please, no jokes about installing Bud Light taps in Cameron and Wallace Wade. That isn't going to happen.

I'll be glad to "write" in for you - not sure if you are "right" for the position. But if you get it, I will be glad to be your proof reader. :)

duketaylor
04-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Ozzie, I accept and will put my house on the market this week. Gotta break it to the wifey;) Don't care what it pays, seriously. My hearts been in Derm for a long, long time. Dr Vilseck will get the first soliciting call.

Shammrog
04-04-2008, 06:14 PM
I'll be glad to "write" in for you - not sure if you are "right" for the position. But if you get it, I will be glad to be your proof reader. :)

I am sure that for Ozzie this will be a "rite" of passage.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAAAA!

crote
04-04-2008, 06:15 PM
The LSU fanbase is insane.

Not "Oh, those wacky Cajuns!" insane or "My they get loud at football games" insane, but literally, unequivocally, bat s**t insane. Approaching Kentucky levels of insanity.

Good luck, Joe. You're going to need it.

Acymetric
04-04-2008, 06:30 PM

Hey, just keep the Mike Sobb in as the Assistant Athletic Director for Marketing...he's my little sister's basketball coach!

-bdbd
04-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Interesting news - may have more impact than the casual fans realize.

I vote for John Feinstein for the new Duke Athletic Director! Hell, he's been saying for years that he could do better than "Coach-K's Racquetball buddy" and do so "with two hands tied behind (my) back..."

Well, seems to me, this is his big chance.....

Failing John, I would disagree with the poster who argued for an internal candidate. That only worked to mixed results last time. I'd like to see us bring in some new blood and ideas, and I'm sure that there are some very qualified, experienced candidates out there, as Duke has to be viewed as a fairly attractive and visible slot. Wouldn't mind seeing someone coming from someplace with a significant football program, given our apparent new direction on that side. Hey, who's the AD at Tenn? I liked our last hire from there! I'm sure they'll have a search committee put together post-haste. But who might some of the appropriate candidates be?

Any concerns about how this could affect K's longevity at Duke? Given his closeness to Joe, I would hope the new selection is a comfortable one for Mike.

-BDBD

Rudy
04-04-2008, 06:58 PM

He probably told them he had no personal scruples that would get in the way of him being a bagman for whatever the LSU president told him to do.

bludev03
04-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Any chances of Duke hiring a woman? Joan Cronan (Tenn), Debbie Yow (MD), or Chris Plonsky (Texas) would be awesome!

wandalee
04-04-2008, 07:13 PM
It's posted on the LSU website. Not sure how to do a link, but go to www.LSU.edu

Duvall
04-04-2008, 07:16 PM
It's done (http://appl003.lsu.edu/unv002.nsf/9faf000d8eb58d4986256abe00720a51/971bc777b7223e8986257421007ed1d1?OpenDocument).

GG,LC.

chrishoke
04-04-2008, 07:22 PM
How are we going to find another drunken sailor?

duketaylor
04-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Not to worry, just sub golfer for sailor;)

77devil
04-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Ozzie and duketaylor:

We need to know who is going to be at the top of the ticket for write-in campaign. Kinda like Hillary and Obama.

Lavabe
04-04-2008, 07:43 PM
How about an unemployed former NBA person, Billy King?

We can play this game all day, but what will Feinstein write tomorrow?

Right Here, Right Now ... Vote for Ozzie!!

Cheers,
Lavabe

msdukie
04-04-2008, 07:49 PM
http://news.duke.edu/2008/04/alleva.html

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-04-2008, 08:41 PM

SUPER idea!!!!!!! Bless your heart!
Love, Ima

ehdg
04-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Happy Days are here again the sun is finally shinning once again in Durham on Duke!!! :D

OZ and DukeTaylor co AD's!! Woo Hooo!! :)

Saratoga2
04-04-2008, 08:52 PM

ozzie in? i'm there.

I swear I read that he was involved in another politically correct situation similar to the Lacrosse case, at his previous employment. Was it Tufts University where he was involved in the expulsion of a student who was studying and was being interrupted by some girls celebrating outside? The student yelled down to them to tone it down. They didn't and he yelled down a second time to keep it quiet you water buffalos. They put him up for expulsion because water buffalos can be found in Africa as well as Asia and some of the loud girls were black. He was considered as having made racist remarks but when the media got hold of it and made a mockery of the school administration they had to reinstate the kid. I thought Alleva was front and center in that situation and that probably got him into Duke, with the support of the group of 88. Am I all wet in that? I thought I read it in some book. Maybe it was "Guilty until proven Innocent".

vick
04-04-2008, 09:05 PM
I swear I read that he was involved in another politically correct situation similar to the Lacrosse case, at his previous employment. Was it Tufts University where he was involved in the expulsion of a student who was studying and was being interrupted by some girls celebrating outside? The student yelled down to them to tone it down. They didn't and he yelled down a second time to keep it quiet you water buffalos. They put him up for expulsion because water buffalos can be found in Africa as well as Asia and some of the loud girls were black. He was considered as having made racist remarks but when the media got hold of it and made a mockery of the school administration they had to reinstate the kid. I thought Alleva was front and center in that situation and that probably got him into Duke, with the support of the group of 88. Am I all wet in that? I thought I read it in some book. Maybe it was "Guilty until proven Innocent".

I believe you're thinking of Larry Moneta.

dukeman28428
04-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Seems to me that more should appreciate the 32 years that Joe and his family gave to Duke instead of throwing him under the bus. He did a great job for Duke and deserves some respect. Be careful what you ask for and I will take the job he did overall for the athletic dept and stack it up against any other as a whole. I personally am very very sorry to see Joe and Annie leave Duke!

DWP
04-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Since Mr. Alleva was instrumental in hiring Coach Cutcliffe and almost certainly made promises to him about football upgrades, how does this affect the progress that has been made to the football program?

theman5207
04-04-2008, 09:13 PM
"I thought Alleva was front and center in that situation and that probably got him into Duke, with the support of the group of 88."

Even if it was Alleva, the "group of 88" is imaginary and if you think a bunch of humanities/social sciences professors had literally *any* pull on the hiring of an athletic director, it's time for a tinfoil hat.

grossbus
04-04-2008, 09:14 PM
"Since Mr. Alleva was instrumental in hiring Coach Cutcliffe"

i wonder about that. i would not be surprised if that decision was a committee decision and taken out of his hands.

77devil
04-04-2008, 09:17 PM

He is and it was at Penn.

http://www.shadowuniv.com/excerpts-wb1.html

Larry and other administrators, particuarly Sheldon Hackney the president of Penn at the time, were rightfully skewered pretty thoroughly in public. It's a subject for the off topic board, but if there is a write in campaign to LSU to recruit Brodhead for Chancellor, I would throw in Moneta for free. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
04-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Since Mr. Alleva was instrumental in hiring Coach Cutcliffe and almost certainly made promises to him about football upgrades, how does this affect the progress that has been made to the football program?

I am far more of a Duke football fan than Joe Alleva ever was. And I wouldn't be surprised if I've spent more time in Wallace Wade since 1976 than he has (not counting my four undergraduate years (1972-1976). Have no fears about WW improvements in my administration.

And as for the write-in campaign, sometimes the fingers type to fast for their own good.

77devil
04-04-2008, 09:21 PM

Cheers,
Lavabe

SUPER idea!!!!!!! Bless your heart!
Love, Ima

I am a big fan of Billy the player and the person, but he made some very poor personnel decisions as GM of the Sixers. I hope Duke hires someone completely unaffiliated with any of the current regime.

FireOgilvie
04-04-2008, 09:23 PM
And as for the write-in campaign, sometimes the fingers type to fast for their own good.

You're too right.

cbarry
04-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Let's try this, since my original sentiment was deleted by mods:

I am glad Mr. Alleva has departed Duke. I believe we are better off without him, given his handling of the lacrosse situation and football over the past several years, not to mention his lack of support for Coach G, leading to her departure to Texas.

DukieInKansas
04-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I am far more of a Duke football fan than Joe Alleva ever was. And I wouldn't be surprised if I've spent more time in Wallace Wade since 1976 than he has (not counting my four undergraduate years (1972-1976). Have no fears about WW improvements in my administration.

I'm still willing to work in your administration. :D

I do wish Mr. Alleva and his family well in his new endeavor. I hope his new job gives him everything he is seeking.

JBDuke
04-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Let's try this, since my original sentiment was deleted by mods:

I am glad Mr. Alleva has departed Duke. I believe we are better off without him, given his handling of the lacrosse situation and football over the past several years, not to mention his lack of support for Coach G, leading to her departure to Texas.

While I do not share your opinion of Joe Alleva, I can understand why you might lay blame on him for both the lacrosse and football situations. However, do you have any evidence to support your claim that it was Alleva's "lack of support for Coach G" that led "to her departure to Texas"?

arnie
04-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah - just got home and the main board news simply made my year! This is obviously my last post under this handle - just really hope we can hire a strong leader with integrity to fill the position. Maybe Billy King is the right guy - I just believe the new leader has to pay attention to the football program as well as raise money.

cbarry
04-04-2008, 09:50 PM
No, I do not have any evidence to support that statement. Actually, I do not follow women's basketball at all (huge men's hoops fan, though), so I relied on reading others' opinions on that subject. From what I understand, Alleva did not do much to try to keep Coach G in Durham.

One thing that is widely agreed upon is Alleva did a horrendous job in his handling of the lacrosse case.

PallasAthena
04-04-2008, 09:59 PM
The incident you describe happened at the University of Pennsylvania:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_buffalo_incident

OZ
04-04-2008, 10:16 PM

Ozzie,

My concern is whether or not you could survive a MAJOR reduction in income;
and should you get the job, I want your season tickets to Cameron.

sagegrouse
04-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah - just got home and the main board news simply made my year! This is obviously my last post under this handle - just really hope we can hire a strong leader with integrity to fill the position. Maybe Billy King is the right guy - I just believe the new leader has to pay attention to the football program as well as raise money.

It was supposed to be "hirealleva."

sagegrouse

Jarhead
04-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Well, since you had no evidence, did you make the statement? Look for some evidence next time, please.

Kewlswim
04-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi,

Any chance the administration has been asking him to leave? Lots of times, at least in the business world, people overstay their welcome and are quietly asked to leave. I can't believe that given what happened with the baseball steroids scandal, the way he handled Coach G (either real or imagined by her), the years of football horribleness, and finally the lacrosse situation were just too much for the administration to bear?

GO DUKE!

Jarhead
04-04-2008, 10:39 PM
My understanding is that Joe came to Duke in 1976 in the Business and Finance Department after getting his MBA at Lehigh. (He got his undergrad degree there also.) That's 32 years ago, and the Group of 88 had not yet shown its ugly head. Joe joined DUAA four years later, and has been there ever since. It would help if you checked your facts the next time. Maybe you should ask the mods to delete your post.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Ozzie,

My concern is whether or not you could survive a MAJOR reduction in income;
and should you get the job, I want your season tickets to Cameron.

LOL! While the money is important, I don't want the job JUST for the money, but for the love of Duke athletics.

Note: any time someone says it is not about the money, it is about the money.

And I think I'll hang on to my tickets for after I retire in 15 or so years.

duketaylor
04-04-2008, 10:53 PM
I am also a strong supporter of Duke football and will continue to be. I love my University and it's athletic (and other) endeavors. Sometimes I think it's important to step back and analyze a situation without your heart being involved, just your analytical mind. Duke athletics is a business and should be run as such (as much as possible given the considerations with admissions and other issues with which an AD has little control).
Obviously, I support OZZIE as we've talked about this for a long time. I've told him my dream jobs were Duke golf coach, then AD. Actually, it was play the Tour for 20 years, then coach Duke, then AD. My dream since I was 20 which is now 25 years ago. I remember when I was a kid, watching the MLK, Jr speech, and I've dreamed.

ne1btunc
04-04-2008, 11:08 PM
i think this is a great chance for us to seriously upgrade our Athletic department as a whole. Our baseball and football programs have been totally amazing under Alleva and we now have a chance to totally change the futures of both programs. this hire is VERY VERY VERY important.....btw, JA had NOTHING to do with hiring CDC, JA wanted to hire KD.....dont be fooled. Hopefully we will make the right choice.....i dont even have an idea where we start though....

OldPhiKap
04-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Ozzie -- if you need a war-time consigliere, I'm in. I'll make you an offer you can't refuse. My undying loyalty -- in exchange for retiring Mark Alarie's jersey.

Bluedawg
04-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Seems to me that more should appreciate the 32 years that Joe and his family gave to Duke instead of throwing him under the bus. He did a great job for Duke and deserves some respect. Be careful what you ask for and I will take the job he did overall for the athletic dept and stack it up against any other as a whole. I personally am very very sorry to see Joe and Annie leave Duke!

I agree!!

ne1btunc
04-04-2008, 11:29 PM
I agree!!

are you guys serious? have you guys paid attention to our football and baseball programs over the last 10 years or so? this is fantastic news, i just hope we make the right choice as a replacement....but there is no way we can do any worse!!!

norduck
04-04-2008, 11:42 PM

Duke was also very generous to Joe and family. He was paid a decent salary and his kids got a free college education.

gotham devil
04-05-2008, 01:02 AM

Cheers,
Lavabe

Quin Snyder

Duvall
04-05-2008, 01:10 AM
I didn't think that "not fired from their last job for incompetence" needed to be an explicit job requirement, but I guess I was wrong.

Lavabe
04-05-2008, 05:55 AM
I am a big fan of Billy the player and the person, but he made some very poor personnel decisions as GM of the Sixers. I hope Duke hires someone completely unaffiliated with any of the current regime.

I saw a brief discussion about King the other day on ESPN's NBA program. During the discussion, it was said that although King was fired because of personnel moves, many folks believe that his decisions are now actually paying off. In particular, they mentioned the Andre Miller move (been scoring in the 20's lately, 7 assists/game, leadership). Dalembert has been averaging double/double (pts & Rebs). Green has also played well enough in the last stretch. They will also receive a decent seed in the East, and seemingly looked good last night (admittedly, against the possibly playoff-bound Atlanta Hawks). The segment thought the players were coming into their own, and that King should now receive some credit for the moves, despite how unpopular they were at the time. Wins over the Nets and Hawks may not sound like much for the Sixers, but they are now only 3 games behind Cleveland (and could have won against them the other night).

Of course I see why King was let go, and I believe your point about seeking someone unaffiliated with "any of the current regime" at the university is solid. I just want the best candidate, whether internal or external. I also hope that all of Duke's sports have significant input for the hiring committee. I especially want to see someone who will work well with Cutcliffe.

And I am hoping that Feinstein doesn't have an axe to grind against the new AD.;)
Cheers,
Lavabe

killerleft
04-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Although John Feinstein is a very talented writer, I feel that his comments during the lacrosse hoax were mean-spirited, holier-than-thou, ignored the facts, and fit the Group of 88 mentality like a glove.

Has he admitted to his mistakes? I doubt that he feels he made any mistakes.

May the Bird of Paradise fly up his nose, and may any of his future pronouncements regarding Duke be eyed with suspicion.

ne1btunc
04-05-2008, 09:34 AM
on top of that did you hear his comments during the duke/navy football games the past few years???

miramar
04-05-2008, 09:35 AM
I used to have a boss from Argentina who was very creative in his use of English. Under circumstances such as these he would say, "That's the best de-acquisition we ever made." I couldn't mangle it better myself.

Like it or not, all of us are hired for good times and bad, but the most important thing is how we perform in the bad times. When things are going well, a 20-year old intern could probably handle most of the things that come up.

colton
04-05-2008, 10:19 AM
believe it or not, LSU is a step up from duke

colton
04-05-2008, 10:20 AM

My brother lost to a lacrosse team in Louisiana. They were actually really good.

Saratoga2
04-05-2008, 10:32 AM
My understanding is that Joe came to Duke in 1976 in the Business and Finance Department after getting his MBA at Lehigh. (He got his undergrad degree there also.) That's 32 years ago, and the Group of 88 had not yet shown its ugly head. Joe joined DUAA four years later, and has been there ever since. It would help if you checked your facts the next time. Maybe you should ask the mods to delete your post.

My memory of the story was Alleva but it must have been someone else they referred to in the Duke administration. I will have to borrow the book at the library and find out exactly who they were talking about.

pfrduke
04-05-2008, 10:45 AM
believe it or not, LSU is a step up from duke

A) If we're talking in terms of AD dollars, sure. He will probably get a raise, and his department will have no money.
B) If we're talking in terms of team performance, it's a push. LSU is better in football, baseball, and track. Duke is better in basketball, tennis, golf, lacrosse, soccer.
c) If we're talking prestige, you're probably right - running the department of a large state school, particularly a large southern state school, and with the reputation of LSU, is probably a higher prestige job as an athletic director.

Very few people here would say Alleva is taking a step down by going to LSU. I think most people would agree that this is a pretty good career move for him. The curiosity has been more from the LSU side - why hire Joe Alleva?

omar
04-05-2008, 11:05 AM
When dealing with things, aka facilities, he did well. When it came to people he was awful. Did I read 32 yrs. on the job? Color me stale. New energy and attitude needs to cascade where needed.

EKU1969
04-05-2008, 12:40 PM
10 years as AD, I believe...1997-1998 to present. Her was hired at Duke in 1976 and joined the Athletic Dept. in 1980, becoming Assistant AD in 1986 and AD in 1997.

Bluedawg
04-05-2008, 11:45 PM
are you guys serious? have you guys paid attention to our football and baseball programs over the last 10 years or so? this is fantastic news, i just hope we make the right choice as a replacement....but there is no way we can do any worse!!!

yes i am...In a previous thread I wrote this:

....and I know I'm a minority, but I'd like to see him stay.

He brought In a good replacement for Coach G and I don't blame him for her leaving...I take her at her word on that. He brought in outstanding football, lacrosse and baseball coaches He has built a basketball training facility that is second to none and he is pushing for upgrades in Wallace Wade and football training facilities that will bring Duke into the 21st century. Plus he has developed a strategic plan for athletics that is solid.

No knows knows what went on behind closed doors during lacrosse and to speculate is wrong. Athletics at Duke is strong and Alleva's part in that can't be downplayed.

The News and Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/736/story/1026048.html)reported this today:

Alleva spent 32 years at Duke, the past 10 as the AD. In that post, he helped raise nearly $200 million and guided $85 million worth in facilities renovations for the athletics department.

Yes, i hate to see him go and I wish him luck.