PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Champions- Who Do You Want?

BlueintheFace
04-03-2008, 07:45 PM
So who do you want and why?

Memphis

UCLA

Kansas

The Holes (explain yourself)

SilkyJ
04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
So tough, but I guess based on the fact that I have a dislike for either the school, coach, or program for everyone but UCLA, I will have to go with UCLA.

UNC: in the words of my best friend "yea right dude"
Memphis: Calipari = slimeball
Kansas: get a smaller logo on ur court slash "yea right dude"

UCLA: I'm not fond of love, but whatever. Howland seems like a good guy they seem like a respectable, clean program.

when do the olympics start?

Karl Beem
04-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Abc.

Buckeye Devil
04-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Kansas because:

I hate UNC and Tyler Hanstravel.

UCLA is from the west coast and I got sick of hearing how good the Pac 10 was this year.

I am not a big fan of Calipari or his thugs, especially Joey Dorsey. It might have something to do with being from Ohio and the comments he made about Greg Oden last year in the tournament.

Bill Self deserves a break.

Go Jayhawks.

Troublemaker
04-03-2008, 07:59 PM
My preference for winning:

Kansas > Memphis > UCLA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>(infinity)>>>>>>>>> UNC

BlueintheFace
04-03-2008, 07:59 PM
It's all about coaches for me-

RoyWill- Well gall darn I just plum hate that son of a hounddog
Calipari- Tied for biggest sleaze in coaching (Huggins is right there with him)
Self- Decent guy who needs a break
Howland- Certainly the best coaching mind left in the tourney, but the more success he has, the more people will talk about UCLA returning to dominance and taking over where Wooden left off. The more they will talk about UCLA as the dominant program in basketball and I kind of like that we have that title (whether its true or not and despite the accompanying hate). I'd much rather he just fall short again and get that rep for being unable to get over the hump.

Go Jayhawks

(plus are there any guys on that team you don't like....? not really)

hc5duke
04-03-2008, 08:01 PM
The only way I can win my bracket right now is if Memphis beats Kansas in the final game (I picked Duke over Kansas, currently lead the brackets, and nobody has Memphis winning it all). My order of preference goes Memphis > Kansas > UCLA > firestorm and earthquake > UNC

weezie
04-03-2008, 08:03 PM
kansas or ucla. memphis, meh. no 'holes, no how.

Got_Duke
04-03-2008, 08:07 PM
UNC

I always root for the ACC

Plus I dislike Calipari and the thugs he recruits

Don't like Kansas because of our most recent history with them in the tournament, plus Bill Self is overrated

Don't like UCLA because Kevin Love is a pompous pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottym outh!pottymouth!pottymouth!; take his basketball talent away from him and you're left with shear pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottym outh!pottymouth!pottymouth!.

Lulu
04-03-2008, 08:10 PM
These are certainly not my top 4 preferred options, but I'd have to go with UCLA. Their dynasty is far enough removed that there's not much of a connection to their current program, and there's just nothing to dislike about their current program really, though I'd like to find something. Give me 4 different final four teams and there's a good chance UCLA would be on the bottom, though, since they're probably around #10 on my list of top schools I never want to see win it all.

Kansas: Rock, chalk, obnoxious. I've seen too many fans in person. As soon as they win one they'll be so much better than Duke that it will be intolerable.

UNC: #1 on aforementioned list, plus they'd have two since we last won one.

Memphis: Absolutely sleazy coach, though I can't blame a bunch of players who have no choice but to play college ball if they ever want to make it in the NBA. They'd be my second choice behind UCLA just because I'd like to see if it would stir any conversation about a school with a zero percent graduation rate winning the NCAA title.

roywhite
04-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Memphis

I like their game and I like the way Derrick Rose, in particular, is playing. Not a Calipari fan, but not a fan of the other programs, either.

mgtr
04-03-2008, 08:13 PM
I pick Kansas, because I think they have the best shot at beating UNC. However, I would really like to see UNC-Memphis. Overall, my choices would be Kansas, UCLA, UNC, Memphis (because I really don't like Memphis or its coach).

SilkyJ
04-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Why doesn't everyone harbor an irrational, unfounded, uncompromising hatred for Kansas like I do?

SilkyJ
04-03-2008, 08:26 PM
I like the way Derrick Rose, in particular, is playing.

Me too. He is SICK. I'd take him 1st in the draft.

hc5duke
04-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Why doesn't everyone harbor an irrational, unfounded, uncompromising hatred for Kansas like I do?

I think a better question is why do you?

BlueintheFace
04-03-2008, 08:29 PM

Well... they just haven't won in a long time... not since Danny Manning carried them all the way and he was kind of likable. Plus, Since they last won, both Carolina and UCLA have gotten a championship... or two (sour face). Plus, we beat the crap out of them in 91'. For whatever reason, people just don't think of them as a dominant program as much anymore. That is my best guess.

bbar7502
04-03-2008, 08:31 PM
i know who I want to win in 2009..............

merry
04-03-2008, 08:49 PM
I don't really have any fondness for any of these teams, but I'd like to see Kansas beat UNC. I think Memphis has the best chance of winning it all.

Ben63
04-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Rock Chalk Jayhawk. But really anyone but the holes.

SilkyJ
04-03-2008, 09:01 PM
I think a better question is why do you?

I don't know. I really don't. As I said its irrational and unfounded. But as I said, its also uncompromising, so even if I can't explain it, it will always be there.

Well... they just haven't won in a long time...

yea but they beat us in the tourney.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk. But really anyone but the holes.

Change your sig, bro. King is GONE

Kdogg
04-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Abc.

My choice but the most unlikely victor.

barjwr
04-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Kansas--they've had such deserving teams that have fallen just short over the past twenty years. Plus, I like the fact that they've got an academic all-american in Kaun and no one who I would be ashamed to have transfer to Duke. Rock-chalk, baby.

The also-rans:
Memphis--Can't root for Conference DOA or John Calipari. Anybody with such disdain for the importance of free throws doesn't deserve a national championship.

UCLA--This year has been filled with such blathering about the Pac-10 and anti-East Coast Bias that I can't stand the thought of them winning. Plus, they WILL be considered a dynasty by today's standards if they win (a NC and three straight FFs).

UNC--Are you kidding?

ForeverBlowingBubbles
04-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm going with Davidson here.

Fish80
04-03-2008, 10:03 PM
NOT UNC! Never UNC!
NOT Memphis! Calamari is a squid.
Either UCLA or Kansas, don't care which.

Delaware
04-03-2008, 10:19 PM
1) Kansas or UCLA are both equally ok with me
3) Memphis (dislike Calipari)
4) Rain out (I know... it can't happen inside) or every team gets the flu and they call the tourney off or they move the Masters up a week because the Azaleas have already bloomed and they cancel the tourney.... well you get the idea.

Tucknut
04-03-2008, 11:00 PM
For me, it's like the upcoming Presidential election - all of the choices suck. All I can do is hope for better choices next time.

moonpie23
04-03-2008, 11:52 PM
obviously, it will be much more humiliating for roy to lose to Kansas, so I'll take that as my # 1 choice....as Kansas will find out, they won't be back in the final four any time soon and talk of DYNASTY will ebb..roy crys on TV

my 2nd favorite would be for Memphis to beat UNC by 40 in the final, with Tyler and roy being tossed on technicals in the 2nd half with only about a minute to go...all those memphis guys will be gone, gone, gone....so, again...no dynasty talk..roy crys on TV

my 3rd favorite would be for UCLA to beat the holes by 40, and tyler being held to 4 pts and NO rebounds or foul shots, while love goes for a career high and is voted MVP of the tourny... Roy is ejected at the end of the 2nd half and lawson just barely tweaks the ankle to remind him to go pro. Ellington and greene follow...roy crys on TV and can't even say "fricken"

the Hole's private Jet is stuck on the tarmac for about 6 hours and psycho T earns his name...

Jumbo
04-04-2008, 12:11 AM
I can't think of a much worse Final Four. ABC, clearly. But then it's tough. I loathe Calipari. I don't like Howland. I don't like Self. It's UCLA or Kansas. I guess.

Devilsfan
04-04-2008, 07:15 AM
I want Ol'Roy's school.

KU!

Lord Ash
04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
UCLA, because they already have us beat on number of titles; anyone else would be catching up (at best.)

And NEVER, ever, EEEVVVEEERR Carolina, purely because of how abnoxious their fans would get. To be honest I wish I could root ACC, but I can't.

happydays1949
04-04-2008, 09:06 AM
So who do you want and why?

Memphis

UCLA

Kansas

The Holes (explain yourself)

Kansas...They are way past due.

devildeac
04-04-2008, 09:10 AM
nothing could be simpler than knowing your (or I guess you're) ABC(s).

dukeENG2003
04-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Memphis--Can't root for Conference DOA or John Calipari. Anybody with such disdain for the importance of free throws doesn't deserve a national championship.

I don't like Calipari anymore than others here, but there are better reasons to hate him.

I think he knows as much as anybody that free throws are important, his stance this year is for psychological reasons. If he stresses how important free throws are, and his team sucks at them, then they tighten up at the line, and only get worse. His approach now has allowed them to relax at the line, and BAM, they shot 84% against Texas in a game where Rick Barnes basically fouled for the last 4 minutes. He's not that dumb that he doesn't see it as important, at least I don't think so (but I could be wrong).

Shammrog
04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
This is something of an emotion-driven intellectual exercise; tempered by practical implications for Duke. In ascending order of preference"

1. UNC. NO. HELL NO. They are our arch-rival. Despite the fact that I actually do like Roy; he is for the most part a good guy except for the occasional annoyance, and I admire Tyler Hansbrough (wish we had him - we offered), I cannot under any circumstance root for our enemy.

That, and UNC cross recruits with Duke more than any of the others. What's bad for them is good for us.

2. UCLA. Nothing particular against them, but we don't want them to win as it might somehow validate the pansy-butt brand of basketball that passes in the PAC-10. Also, they recruit against us a fair amount. So, again, bad for them = good for us.

3. and 4. This is an oddball. On the one hand you have Memphis. They don't cross recruit with us much, if any. This is easy to explain as their lineup looks like, well, a "line up." (hahaha.) Calipari is a dirtbag, though - his ilk represents in large part what is wrong with college basketball. So, even though a win by Memphis would have the least effect in terms of balance of power vis a vis Duke, my conscience will not allow me to root for them. They get the 3 slot.

4. Kansas - they recruit against us some, but not as much as UNC or UCLA. Also, they seem to be for the most part a classy team and Self seems like a decent guy. A Kansas win would have the added benefit of knocking UNC out in the semifinals, humiliating Roy, and denying UNC the chance to tie or break Duke's historic 37 win total from 1986. So, GO KANSAS!

Classof06
04-04-2008, 10:33 AM
ABC, baby..

Beyond the fundamental premise above, I'm gonna tread off the beaten path a little bit and say Memphis. This team has been characterized as thugs, not for real, can't shoot free throws, the first #1 seed to get knocked out, etc. Yet they've still put together a spectacular season.

I'll admit it, I'm one of those who has doubted Memphis all year. They come from an unusual conference, they have an unusual coach, they run an unusual offense. I've been subconciously looking for reasons to downplay Memphis all year but this team is solid all the way around. After seeing the way they completely dispatched MSU and then beat Texas into submission (in Houston, I might add), I think this team believes (like Calipari preaches) that it's their time.

They'll need steady play out of Dorsey, but I think Dorsey will be the biggest challenge (athletically speaking) Kevin Love has had all year. I, like many NBA scouts, am very curious to see how Love handles Dorsey; it might very well determine the outcome of the game.

Lastly, though this is hard for me to admit, I'm actually starting to (gasp) like Calipari...

captmojo
04-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Who do I want?
The meteor!

My prediction, however, is leaning toward UCLA.
Due to: defensive play/backcourt qualities/free throw proclivity

The meteor vs UCLA?
The meteor, due to possibility of improvement in recruiting.
They've won it enough to last for the remainder of my lifetime. :cool:

Johnboy
04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
In my heart, KU, because of reasons discussed above (beating Roy is prime among them).

But Shammrog has me convinced that it probably better for us if Memphis wins. Plus, they are a marginal power anyway. Ooh - except if they win even one more game, they will beat the single-season wins record of 37 held by 2 duke teams (1986, 1999) and UNLV (1991) and Illinois (2005). So, go KU, I guess.

rsvman
04-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Kansas, because in order for them to win the title, they have to beat UNC first.:)

My 14-year-old son likes said he would like to see this:

It's UNC versus UCLA in the final game. The Heels are down by 3 with about 2-3 seconds left, and they have the ball. They get the ball in to Ellington, Green sets the screen, opening Ellington up at the top of the key for the potential game-tying three. He shoots and it is clear that the shot is going to go in. However, Frogface, in his enthusiasm, jumps up, grabs the ball out of the air, and slams it home with a triumphant scream, thus converting the trey into a deuce, causing the Heels to lose by a point. :D

captmojo
04-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Kansas, because in order for them to win the title, they have to beat UNC first.:)

My 14-year-old son likes said he would like to see this:

It's UNC versus UCLA in the final game. The Heels are down by 3 with about 2-3 seconds left, and they have the ball. They get the ball in to Ellington, Green sets the screen, opening Ellington up at the top of the key for the potential game-tying three. He shoots and it is clear that the shot is going to go in. However, Frogface, in his enthusiasm, jumps up, grabs the ball out of the air, and slams it home with a triumphant scream, thus converting the trey into a deuce, causing the Heels to lose by a point. :D

This is good, but I'd rather see him get called for traveling after making his "patented spin move" to the basket. :D

davekay1971
04-04-2008, 11:08 AM
ABC.

Given that, I'll take (1) KU, (2) UCLA, (3) Memphis

Saratoga2
04-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Memphis

I like their game and I like the way Derrick Rose, in particular, is playing. Not a Calipari fan, but not a fan of the other programs, either.

I think Memphis has the best overall team. It is not a matter of liking one over another, but just who I think has the best team. Of the group, I originally picked Kansas, but now see them as last of the 4.

BlueintheFace
04-04-2008, 11:24 AM
a win by Memphis would have the least effect in terms of balance of power vis a vis Duke

In talking about recruiting THIS YEAR, I am not so sure it is great for Memphis to win it all. Calipari is reportedly recruiting Leslie McDonald (a Memphis native) pretty hard. He is definitely one of our top targets. It is tough to tell how a Memphis win might effect McDonald, but Calipari would be able to show him a trophy and promise him tons of playing time since half the team would leave...

Shammrog
04-04-2008, 11:31 AM
In talking about recruiting THIS YEAR, I am not so sure it is great for Memphis to win it all. Calipari is reportedly recruiting Leslie McDonald (a Memphis native) pretty hard. He is definitely one of our top targets. It is tough to tell how a Memphis win might effect McDonald, but Calipari would be able to show him a trophy and promise him tons of playing time since half the team would leave...

Good point. But if Leslie McDonald goes to Memphis, he probably wouldn't have fit at Duke anyway...

Classof06
04-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Good point. But if Leslie McDonald goes to Memphis, he probably wouldn't have fit at Duke anyway...

Would you have said the same thing about Eliot Williams had he chosen Memphis?

Krzyzewski is going after McDonald because he thinks the kid is a good fit for Duke; I doubt his opinion will change based on where the kid decides to go to school. I still think Monroe would've been a good fit for Duke even though he chose elsewhere.

Being a good fit is about the kid and his character; something that doesn't change based on where the kid eventually decides to go to school.

Shammrog
04-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Would you have said the same thing about Eliot Williams had he chosen Memphis?

Krzyzewski is going after McDonald because he thinks the kid is a good fit for Duke; I doubt his opinion will change based on where the kid decides to go to school. I still think Monroe would've been a good fit for Duke even though he chose elsewhere.

Being a good fit is about the kid and his character; something that doesn't change based on where the kid eventually decides to go to school.

I don't know Eliot Williams or McDonald; but I think you are reading me backwards - I don't think choosing Memphis would make them bad kids; but I think that if they ultimately choose Memphis that is an *indicator* that they probably wouldn't have been a good fit at Duke.

I have no doubt that Coach K only recruits kids he thinks will be good fits at Duke. If a kid chooses Memphis and Calipari after considering what they want their college career to be about, I don't think that what they want is a good fit for what Duke is all about.

MarineTwinsDad
04-04-2008, 01:19 PM
After not seeing much of Memphis all year, I have to admit that I've been really impressed in watching them play through the tournament. Dorsey could get into foul trouble, which would give Love an extra big game. Otherwise Memphis is a lot better than UCLA. I don't think Kansas can beat UNC, unfortunately, especially since they plan on running full speed. A lot of points should be scored, and I suspect that the deeper team will win that game. Hansbrough will probably not be a big factor, simply because the game will go faster than him, after awhile. Of course, I'd like for Kansas to win.

The championship would then be Memphis vs. UNC. Again, Dorsey would have to stay out of foul trouble. In the game between Tenn & Memphis, the men in stripes really let them play. Will that happen in the championship? If they do, Memphis should win, as Hansbrough derives most of his points on foul shots, or others backing off for fear of fouling. I think that Rose vs. Lawson would have Texas overtones. Rose was so much taller than Augustin that he had trouble getting off his shots - Rose should have the same effect on Lawson. Ellington is 6'4", but Douglas Roberts is 6'7". I think Memphis wins on defense, the same way they won against Texas.

jipops
04-04-2008, 02:08 PM
I'll be rooting for the mute button once Billy Packer's voice starts to come though my tv speakers - just so I won't slip into some absurdly negative state of mind and start to have a strange distaste to the game of basketball.

I will be turning the volume back on however during Roy's post game press conference to play my favorite drinking game --> 'Drink every time Roy refers to himself in the 3rd person'.

Classof06
04-04-2008, 02:27 PM
I don't know Eliot Williams or McDonald; but I think you are reading me backwards - I don't think choosing Memphis would make them bad kids; but I think that if they ultimately choose Memphis that is an *indicator* that they probably wouldn't have been a good fit at Duke.

I have no doubt that Coach K only recruits kids he thinks will be good fits at Duke. If a kid chooses Memphis and Calipari after considering what they want their college career to be about, I don't think that what they want is a good fit for what Duke is all about.

What the hell, I'll keep playing Devil's advocate ;)

What, in your words, is Duke all about as compared to Memphis?

You're still implying that what "indicates" a kid being a good fit for Duke is based upon whether or not they actually end up choosing Duke, which I disagree with. The way I understand it, you're not far off from saying that a kid isn't a good fit for us unless he chooses us. Maybe it's just a Memphis thing but I hope that's not how you feel about every other school besides Duke. We don't get every kid that is a good fit for us and every kid that is a good fit for us doesn't always end up in Durham. Heck, one of the reasons I find Hansbrough so annoying is that I could so easily picture him in a Duke uniform. That's a kid I believe would've fit right in at Duke.

I realize Duke and Memphis aren't identical schools but if the two schools were that night-and-day then why would Duke ever recruit kids that listed Memphis as another possibility? McDonald is the 2nd kid in 3 years that we're competing with Memphis for. We happened to get EW but him choosing Memphis wouldn't have changed the fact that he is/was/would've been a good fit for Duke.

Either you really don't think too highly of Calipari and Memphis or you're making Duke out to be more unique than it really is. Playing basketball at Duke is a wonderful opportunity. But it ain't the only school where that's the case.

Shammrog
04-04-2008, 02:32 PM
What the hell, I'll keep playing Devil's advocate ;)

What, in your words, is Duke all about as compared to Memphis?

You're still implying that what "indicates" a kid being a good fit for Duke is based upon whether or not they actually end up choosing Duke, which I disagree with. The way I understand it, you're not far off from saying that a kid isn't a good fit for us unless he chooses us. Maybe it's just a Memphis thing but I hope that's not how you feel about every other school besides Duke. We don't get every kid that is a good fit for us and every kid that is a good fit for us doesn't always end up in Durham. Heck, one of the reasons I find Hansbrough so annoying is that I could so easily picture him in a Duke uniform. That's a kid I believe would've fit right in at Duke.

I realize Duke and Memphis aren't identical schools but if the two schools were that night-and-day then why would Duke ever recruit kids that listed Memphis as another possibility? McDonald is the 2nd kid in 3 years that we're competing with Memphis for. We happened to get EW but him choosing Memphis wouldn't have changed the fact that he is/was/would've been a good fit for Duke.

Either you really don't think too highly of Calipari and Memphis or you're making Duke out to be more unique than it really is. Playing basketball at Duke is a wonderful opportunity. But it ain't the only school where that's the case.

No - you've got me all wrong. I am referring specifically to MEMPHIS and CALIPARI. Sleazy coach, basketball factory/no academics program.

There are plenty of good, reputable, well run programs out there besides Duke. I would (unfortunately) put UNC among them.

I just regard Memphis as in the same category as Cincinnati, or UNLV in the 1990s is all...

Rudy
04-04-2008, 02:50 PM
I want UNC to win.
#1. I cheer for all ACC teams unless they are playing Duke. (I have a hierarchy within the ACC after Duke but that's a different subject.)
#2. If UNC wins it is more likely that anyone considering leaving early for pro will do so.
#3. If UNC wins, commentators will say UNC only lost to two teams during the year, one of them being Duke.

Fish80
04-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Calamari is a squid!

Calipari! Calamari!

Calimari is a squid!

paulie dogs
04-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Kansas because...

1) They will have to beat UNC in the process

2) Roy will lose to his old team.

3) Kansas will win the national championship that Roy could never get them without him at the helm.

BlueintheFace
04-04-2008, 03:19 PM
I want UNC to win.
#1. I cheer for all ACC teams unless they are playing Duke. (I have a hierarchy within the ACC after Duke but that's a different subject.)
#2. If UNC wins it is more likely that anyone considering leaving early for pro will do so.
#3. If UNC wins, commentators will say UNC only lost to two teams during the year, one of them being Duke.

#4. After winning again, Roy Williams will have two championships (one short of K) and Carolina will have yet another championship for the mantlepiece... not to mention the ultimate bragging rights for Tobacco Road.

TwoDukeTattoos
04-04-2008, 04:55 PM
I want Memphis because it would be nice to seem them get the money off their back and because I think they are the least likely of the Four to rack up more titles in the future.

On the surface, Kansas would be the easy pick because it would be sweet to see Self beat the man who could never win the Big One at Kansas. However, Kansas already has one National Title from back in the day, so another one would make them a threat to eventually take over Duke's total of three.

UCLA has enough already. Enough said.

Of course, I could never pull for UNC for a multitude of reasons that aren't even worth mentioning because everyone on this board knows what they are.

pete89
04-04-2008, 07:47 PM
UNC, makes the acc look better.

adukefan4life52
04-05-2008, 03:37 AM
MEMPHIS!

Met them all, really nice kids. Calipari is getting too much hate here, IMO. He is really down to earth, also is a good coach. I'll DEFINITELY be rooting for Memphis, been following them all year, really like the way they play. I hope they kill UCLA and then kill UNC/Kansas to prove to everyone they are legit.

91_92_01_10_15
04-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Thought this would be a good addition to the earlier thread.

DukeDevilDeb
04-05-2008, 11:01 AM
... or dudess who voted for other? Do we have a Tar Heel in our midst?

freedevil
04-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Whoever voted "other" better be a Tar Heel.

Lavabe
04-05-2008, 11:05 AM
... or dudess who voted for other? Do we have a Tar Heel in our midst?

I considered OTHER, thinking it meant ANYONE BUT CAROLINA.:D

devildeac
04-05-2008, 11:33 AM
If other included meteor/earthquake/hurricane/Russian national team/vacate the 2008 FF, then that would get my vote.

devildeac
04-05-2008, 11:39 AM

You gotta be kidding me, right? It makes them look better, us look worse and probably helps the ACC minimally. You must not live in NC, either. Thousands(if not millions) of little kids all over the state will then be dressed in that awful color for the next 2-3 decades and we'll read about it for centuries. No thanks.

BlueintheFace
04-05-2008, 12:08 PM

You must be one of those "ACC Fans" and not a "Duke Fan" since Carolina winning is good for the ACC but bad for Duke.

captmojo
04-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Hold on everybody. I did it. It WAS a vote for the meteor!

I predicted earlier in favor of UCLA, however my preference is very heavily weighted toward the meteor.

Of course you must read the question. "Who do you want to win?" I don't want any of the above.

wilko
04-05-2008, 02:25 PM
ABC.

YEP! ABC other than that, any teams not named Duke are largely irrelevant to me.

eddiehaskell
04-05-2008, 02:33 PM
I want Kansas to win. I like Bill Self and it would be kinda poetic to see Kansas win it all after Roy turned his back on them.

Memphis doesn't have a national championship so they're my 2nd choice.

Classof06
04-05-2008, 04:12 PM
No - you've got me all wrong. I am referring specifically to MEMPHIS and CALIPARI. Sleazy coach, basketball factory/no academics program.

There are plenty of good, reputable, well run programs out there besides Duke. I would (unfortunately) put UNC among them.

I just regard Memphis as in the same category as Cincinnati, or UNLV in the 1990s is all...

I got you. I see where you coming from. I'm not going to sit here and say Calipari is an angel either; NCAA infractions prove otherwise. It should also be noted that EW and Leslie McDonald are from the state of Tennessee with McDonald being from the Memphis area (if I'm not mistaken). So them listing Memphis as an option is only natural; it's a successful program within their home state.

hc5duke
04-05-2008, 05:03 PM

But... if Memphis wins, they could get in trouble for some NCAA violations, and give up their championship. Yes... I can see this as everyone's favorite option of "no one wins this year". :D

P.S. Cincinnati or UNLV each winning 10 consecutive championships is much more preferable to UNC winning 1

Fish80
04-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Calamari is a squid. Calipari, Calamari.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Other. Now that's funny.

I'm rooting for 4 losers.

dukestheheat
04-05-2008, 06:46 PM
so, i'm catching memphis right now versus ucla and memphis looks absolutely beastly. quick, athletic, long and powerful, deep as well. also, spoke to someone today who noted that they'd shot in the mid-70s on free throw percentage these first four NCAA games.

if they play like they're playing now, and couple that with mid 70s on the free throw line, we're looking at the Champ, I believe.

dth.

captmojo
04-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Who do I want?
The meteor!

My prediction, however, is leaning toward UCLA.
Due to: defensive play/backcourt qualities/free throw proclivity

The meteor vs UCLA?
The meteor, due to possibility of improvement in recruiting.
They've won it enough to last for the remainder of my lifetime. :cool:

Pay no attention to the man behind that curtain!

Man, Memphis appears too big, strong ,fast and athletic to fall from here on in. The only question mark is if they can keep up this free throw accuracy.