PDA

View Full Version : Beaton v. Jumbo - Only

Jumbo
04-03-2008, 04:32 PM
This didn't go nearly as well as I hoped the first time, and that's entirely my fault. So, let me try again. Greg Beaton, if you're still lurking, consider this a standing invitation for a friendly (I hope) debate over your column in the Chronicle. I'm going to lock this thread, so if you're up for it, PM me, and I'll re-open it for the two of us. If not, it'll disappear. No harm, no foul.

-JK EDIT Please note: this thread is for Beaton and Jumbo, only. Everyone else please post in the kibitzing thread.

Greg Beaton
04-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Loyal followers,

I've stopped lurking and registered for an account on DBR. Because the two other threads have been closed, I'll post my offer to Jumbo here. I sent this to him in a private message, and I think it's fair:

Jumbo--

I finished with class today and checked out the message boards. I'm willing to debate you, under one condition: you publicly acknowledge your real identity to the rest of the DBR community. At least when I call someone out in a public forum, I'm willing to attach my name to it. That's no cowardly act.

--Greg Beaton

Jumbo
04-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Loyal followers,

I've stopped lurking and registered for an account on DBR. Because the two other threads have been closed, I'll post my offer to Jumbo here. I sent this to him in a private message, and I think it's fair:

Jumbo--

I finished with class today and checked out the message boards. I'm willing to debate you, under one condition: you publicly acknowledge your real identity to the rest of the DBR community. At least when I call someone out in a public forum, I'm willing to attach my name to it. That's no cowardly act.

--Greg Beaton

For what it's worth, this is how I responded to Greg over PM (in two messages):

First Message: "I would if I could, man. Seriously. But professionally, it just can't happen. If you don't want to debate (and I'm starting to think we can make this a fun thing, rather than contentious), I understand. Your call -- let me know."

Second Message: "I should add that you have every right to consider it cowardly not to post under your real name. And, as I've said, I would do it if it weren't a problem for my career. But I've been on this board since you were probably 10 or 11, and people have accepted that by now.
My point in mentioning cowardice on your part was the idea of writing a column, but not giving the other side a chance to respond. As a journalist, that bothers me.
That said, you had some good points. I think we can have fun with this. Another mod was looking at a way to make a thread where only you and I can post. Everyone else would have to watch us circle around the ring. I think it could be a riot. If you're up for it, let me know. Besides, how often do you get to debate some Internet clown named Jumbo?"