PDA

View Full Version : Hansbrough's NBA future?

Turk
04-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Tripped over this interesting article on ESPN's Page 2 by LZ Granderson:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=granderson/080401

Let's defer the discussion about his points on race to the Public Policy thread, but I have been part of a few conversations about Tyler's future in the NBA recently and haven't been able to make up my own mind. To me, the obviously wrong comparison is Mark Madsen from Stanford - rah-rah nutty white overachiever.... IMHO, Tyler is way better than that, and way better than Montross too, but how much better? Could he have a Charles Oakley type of career, or could he even be as good as a Karl Malone?

One guy tried to tell me "He'll be just like Laettner - great college player who stunk in the pros." That argument was wrong on so many levels I didn't even know where to begin, so I just started throwing beer and furniture... (That always works...)

Seriously, if Tyler comes back to UNC next year he'll practically end up re-writing the tarhole record books; any thoughts on what his NBA career will look like?

Turk

bludev03
04-02-2008, 05:35 PM
A better question is: "Does anybody care??"

eddiehaskell
04-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't know if Laettner stunk in the pros...unless that's relative to how good he was in college. He had about 10 decent-good years and made the all-star team.

If Hanbrough can have as much success in the NBA I will be VERY impressed.

One thing I've heard is that he is actually about 6'7" and has short arms. That's not good when playing against 6'10"+ long armed guys who are better athletes (Garnett, Duncan, Bosh, Dirk, Howard, Boozer, etc.).

BD80
04-02-2008, 05:57 PM
This will p*ss off some Duke fans, but how about a comparison of Hansblaba to Carlos Boozer? Los was not considered to be athletic enough to succeed at the next level and criticized for playing below the rim. I don' think Hans is as strong as Los or nearly as solid defensively, but that their offensive skills and rebounding are similar.

pete89
04-02-2008, 06:01 PM
If he continues to develop his jump shot (and with his work ethic he will) I can see him having a decent NBA career

RelativeWays
04-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Laettner didn't really stink in the pros, I think he still averaged 10pts a game for his career and was in the league for 13 years, hardly a complete dud. People also forget that Laettner was productive for the T-wolves his 1st two years there but they shipped him and JR Rider out in favor shaping the team around Kevin Garnett. He was also great his first two years in Atlanta, making the all star team and along with Deke leading the hawks to the playoffs for the 1st time since Nique left the squad. Somewhere Laettner seemed to lose some of his drive during the 3rd season and never really meshed with any team after that. i really wished he had stuck with the Heat one more year for that Championship ring.

Tyler, I dunno. Hard to say how effective he'll be, but he'll try his best. One thing in his favor, they call traveling even less in the NBA than they do in college.:D

bbar7502
04-02-2008, 06:05 PM
I dont' think you can even talk about comparing hanstravel and boozer. boozer had/has a better array of offensive moves then him. I was reminded of that today when I watched the 2001 championship game and boozer had that sweet up and under move on loren woods. Plus boozer could pick hanstravel up and body slam him into that stupid ping pong table. on a side note boozer could/can also talk in complete sentences....

Turk
04-02-2008, 06:13 PM
This will p*ss off some Duke fans, but how about a comparison of Hansblaba to Carlos Boozer? Los was not considered to be athletic enough to succeed at the next level and criticized for playing below the rim. I don' think Hans is as strong as Los or nearly as solid defensively, but that their offensive skills and rebounding are similar.

Not me... Carlos was under discussion too. They're both pretty strong, but it seems to me Carlos is / was much more polished offensively. Carlos seems much smoother away from the basket; Beaker's jumper isn't terrible but he seems uncomfortable outside the paint...

Indoor66
04-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Laettner didn't really stink in the pros, I think he still averaged 10pts a game for his career and was in the league for 13 years, hardly a complete dud. People also forget that Laettner was productive for the T-wolves his 1st two years there but they shipped him and JR Rider out in favor shaping the team around Kevin Garnett. He was also great his first two years in Atlanta, making the all star team and along with Deke leading the hawks to the playoffs for the 1st time since Nique left the squad. Somewhere Laettner seemed to lose some of his drive during the 3rd season and never really meshed with any team after that. i really wished he had stuck with the Heat one more year for that Championship ring.

Tyler, I dunno. Hard to say how effective he'll be, but he'll try his best. One thing in his favor, they call traveling even less in the NBA than they do in college.:D

You might recall that he has an achilles issue about this time - that took away much of his quickness.

moonpie23
04-02-2008, 06:49 PM
I dont' think you can even talk about comparing hanstravel and boozer. boozer had/has a better array of offensive moves then him.

I don't see a better offensive move than the "ball-go-in-basket-even-if-you-hit-me-hard" shot that hans has.....

BD80
04-02-2008, 06:56 PM
You might recall that he has an achilles issue about this time - that took away much of his quickness.

And completely took away Christian's vertical. He continued to play because he understood the game so well and was very good at position and passing. We had him up in Detroit near the end, and the team always played better when he touched the ball. He wasn't that successful here but he did fight with Stackhouse on the Piston's plane. Stackhouse was one of the dumbest living organisms I ever encountered.

eddiehaskell
04-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't see a better offensive move than the "ball-go-in-basket-even-if-you-hit-me-hard" shot that hans has.....But NBA guys are a little bigger...and they probably hit harder. Plus, he would have to take the hits for 82 games....no 4-5 days off between games.:)

The1Bluedevil
04-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Boozer was amazingly effective using his off hand to score. Heck his left hand is arguably better then his right. I haven't seen Psycho T hit a left-handed hook, turn around or lay-up in 3 years.

dw0827
04-02-2008, 08:01 PM
This will no doubt get me in big trouble, but . . .

I admire TH. I don't care that he is at UNC. I admire anybody who works hard and makes the most of his, or her, talent.

One of the reasons why I liked JJ so much was because he worked his butt off to become a good ball player. He wasn't just born a good shooter. He developed it year after year by working hard.

TH does the same thing.

Ok, ok, he plays for Carolina. Big deal. I've watched a lot of UNC games and he comports himself well and he plays hard.

I wish him the very best when he goes pro. How will he do as a pro? I don't know. But if he isn't successful, it won't be from a lack of effort.

Regenman
04-02-2008, 08:14 PM
I watched him during his freshmen year and I can still remember my fellow Duke alums complain "I'd trade Shelden for this kid right now". Shelden's career hasn't really taken off so it's unclear if Hansbrough's will either, but man I just want him to leave.

Troublemaker
04-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Folks, Christian had a very good NBA career. He made an All-Star team, and for most of his career, he was good for 16 and 8. Then, that one year, he tore his Achilles, afterwhich he lost some explosiveness and became much more of a role player.

Johnny B
04-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Hansbrough has an unnerving desire to win. He is a winner and though his athleticism - skill is not as good as some of the pros, I believe he has enough skill and athleticism to complement that will power. In my few years of watching college ball I don't remember anyone with his competitive desire, it's actually quite awesome. It's that will power and work ethic that will make him a successful pro, barring injuries. He is the carolina player I most wish had come to Duke. He would have been perfect in the correct shade of blue.

DukeHoopsGuru
04-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Hansbrough's NBA Future = "Glorified Mark Madsen"

It's a dead on comparison. He's a slightly more skilled Mark Madsen.

weezie
04-02-2008, 09:23 PM
I don't see a better offensive move than the "ball-go-in-basket-even-if-you-hit-me-hard" shot that hans has.....

Even if you hit me hard, Mr Howard?

Come on Moonie, Hansbangs has never, EVER been hit as hard as he will be by the Gentlemen of the National Basketball Association. I, for one, can't wait...sooner or later, Frank's monster will be wondering just what hit him.

And if Carlos needs a slow white chick to watch his back, he's got me. The nerve of anyone calling out Carlos in comparison to tbangs.....

sandinmyshoes
04-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Rick Pitino fairly well raved about Hansbrough's pro potential after the UNC-Louisville game. Of course, Rick might not be the best judge of that given his less than stellar tenure in the NBA.

weezie
04-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Rick Pitino fairly well raved about Hansbrough's pro potential after the UNC-Louisville game. Of course, Rick might not be the best judge of that given his less than stellar tenure in the NBA.

Rick still has that fly white suit.

moonpie23
04-02-2008, 10:08 PM
i disagree.....yes, they are gonna hit him hard.....but the more successful he has become, he has taken a ton of abuse under the board....and the thing that CONTINUES to amaze me, is he gets the ball in the hoop AFTER getting hammered......

he'll draw fouls and he will hit foul shots....

jacone21
04-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Dude is big, strong, can rebound, can finish inside after contact, will seriously dunk on you, can hit a midrange shot, and make freethrows. My blue glasses are Duke blue, but that sounds like a pretty good NBA power forward to me.

Declare for the draft, Tyler! Please.

soccerstud2210
04-02-2008, 10:36 PM

his trash shots will not go in when he is in the NBA, he will be facing way better defensive players who will not let him get his throw up trash shots off... duncan, howard, garnett, ming, so on and so on... his only chance is to become a three point threat... ok maybe an exaggeration but seriously

soccerstud2210
04-02-2008, 10:37 PM
But NBA guys are a little bigger...and they probably hit harder. Plus, he would have to take the hits for 82 games....no 4-5 days off between games.:)

and he will not get every call every time someone touches him... he will get thrown around

BobbyFan
04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Even if he adds versatility to his offensive game, his defense will be the limiting factor. Best case, he will be a quality 6th/7th man.

Matches
04-03-2008, 09:07 AM
He's going to be a lot better in the NBA than many think. He's got good size, a pretty nice array of post moves, and can spot up and hit a 15 foot jump shot. He works extremely hard at rebounding, passes the ball reasonably well, and is quick enough to get up and down the floor. His footwork is a little suspect, but passable - and he's not going to get called for walking in the NBA either.

His biggest weakness in the NBA will be defense, because he is not a good shot-blocker, even at the college level, and will have trouble defending skilled guys who are his size or taller.

But that's overall a pretty good package. He will be a starting PF for some team and have a lengthy career. C'mon - Joe Wolf had a ten plus year NBA career, and he didn't have 1/10th the talent Hansbrough does. Size will get you a LONG way in the NBA, and while Hans may not be the most talented guy in the draft, it's not like he's a stiff either.

IMO a lot of UNC fans are intentionally understating Hansbrough's potential in the hopes of keeping him another year.

moonpie23
04-03-2008, 09:17 AM
if he brings his work ethic to the nba, he will be a force that will HAVE to be dealt with...think about it....how many nba'ers NEVER take a play off.....?

not many.

davekay1971
04-03-2008, 09:29 AM
I dont' think you can even talk about comparing hanstravel and boozer. boozer had/has a better array of offensive moves then him. I was reminded of that today when I watched the 2001 championship game and boozer had that sweet up and under move on loren woods. Plus boozer could pick hanstravel up and body slam him into that stupid ping pong table. on a side note boozer could/can also talk in complete sentences....

lmao. Awesome post.

I don't think an adequate comparison can be made between Whiny T and Boozer or Laettner. Laettner had offensive skills that Hansbrough can only dream of, but Hansbrough's undoubtedly a better rebounder. Boozer was a better low post offensive player than either, better defensively than Hansbrough, but probably not quite the rebounder. Hansbrough, despite the fact that he gets away with setting up campfires in the lane and climbing over backs all day long, DOES have a tremendous instinct for the boards. He's got that knack, which is an instinct or skill that some guys just have. That alone will keep him in the rotation on an NBA roster. I think a few things will stand against him being a standout, however. First of all, he won't get the Hansbrough calls that put him at the lane for about half his points, the way he does in the ACC. Second, he's a defensive liability. Sorry, Tarhole fans, but skilled big guys abuse him. There aren't very many skilled big guys in college, but there are plenty in the NBA. Lastly, he hasn't developed enough of an offensive game to be effective as a smallish (in terms of height and wingspan) power forward in the pros.

Lastly, anybody posting that Laettner was a dud in the pros obviously has been buying way too much of the "Duke guys suck in the NBA" crap. Laettner had a very solid career in the pros, as detailed by a couple of the earlier posts.

Exiled_Devil
04-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Even if you hit me hard, Mr Howard?

Come on Moonie, Hansbangs has never, EVER been hit as hard as he will be by the Gentlemen of the National Basketball Association. I, for one, can't wait...sooner or later, Frank's monster will be wondering just what hit him.

And if Carlos needs a slow white chick to watch his back, he's got me. The nerve of anyone calling out Carlos in comparison to tbangs.....

I think Boooz is the s*^#@t, but one thing that he and Hans(--) have in common is an insane work ethic.

I don't feel comfortable with talking about Boozer's college game as a clear indicator of his pro potential. He was worked his but off to improve year after year. Hansbott will do the same. Who know is he will get to Boozers level, but I also think that if Boozer hadn't dodged the bullet with Cleveland (or cheated them, if you are a Cav or UNC fan) then he wouldn't be the player he is today either. Hansbaba could get in a good situation and end up excelling in the NBA, or end up in Europe. Niether would surprise me.

SilkyJ
04-03-2008, 05:02 PM
duncan, howard, garnett, ming, so on and so on... his only chance is to become a three point threat... ok maybe an exaggeration but seriously

Tyler will play the 4 or PF position in the pros. Howard and Ming are without a doubt 5s or Centers, and Duncan and KG play quite a bit of Center. Against the magic he would actually face Rashard Lewis who he would OWN down low, and against the Rockets he would have faced Chuck Hayes (be4 Yao was injured) who is an average defender.

Scoring Point
04-03-2008, 05:32 PM
I don't follow the NBA much these days, but I do think that we Duke fans should be quite wary by now of betting against Hansbrough.

Freshman year - How many of us eagerly anticipated our Senior A-A Center Shelden Williams abusing TH head-to-head? Didn't exactly turn out that way; in fact, Hansbrough held his own in the first meeting and then put on a very impressive show in helping ruin Shel and JJ's Senior Night in Cameron.

Sophomore year - How many of us readily assumed that Psycho T's numbers and impact would decline, given the huge influx of talent (3 consensus Top 10 recruits in Wright, Lawson, Ellington)? Didn't exactly turn out that way; although the team arguably underachieved, Hansbrough's numbers were virtually identical to those of his rookie campaign, and he clearly remained the Heels' most dominant player.

Junior year - How many of us were of the view that, for all of TH's intensity and production, he was still strictly a below the rim, in the paint player with limited athleticism? This one is a little more subjective, but I would still argue that this has proven to not be the case; he has clearly expanded his shooting range and offensive game in general, while demonstrating some genuine explosiveness, both around the hoop and in the open floor (the tip slam against Louisville was simply nasty). Much like Shane, Psycho T as an upperclassmen seems to have focused his conditioning more on improving his "athleticism" (e.g. plyometrics), rather than the traditional strength and aerobic endurance.

Again, I'm no expert on the NBA, but I will honestly be shocked if Hansbrough is a bust at the next level. He may never be an All-Star, but I could easily see him being a productive starter on an average team, and a strong 6th or 7th man on a contender.

greybeard
04-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Hansbrough is one of the better readers, manipulators, disguisers of momentum I have seen. He creates space for his shot by creating width after freezing the defender with his body better than anybody since Kevin McKale.

However, his seeming aversion to working on the left side of the lane, and to have a diversity of finishes moving to his left might be a killer. You'd have thought that he would have developed that half of his game by now. Hey, maybe Roy needs to hire a big man coach.

Kdogg
04-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Well here's one take on the subject (with the added bonus of a few jabs at Greg Doyle). This is how I feel and the reason I think Tyler comes back for one more year of the good life.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/10756097

SilkyJ
04-03-2008, 07:52 PM
^you just made my day. i hate doyel

Jumbo
04-03-2008, 11:47 PM
^you just made my day. i hate doyel

Who doesn't? ;)

pete89
04-04-2008, 12:04 AM
I don't follow the NBA much these days, but I do think that we Duke fans should be quite wary by now of betting against Hansbrough.

Freshman year - How many of us eagerly anticipated our Senior A-A Center Shelden Williams abusing TH head-to-head? Didn't exactly turn out that way; in fact, Hansbrough held his own in the first meeting and then put on a very impressive show in helping ruin Shel and JJ's Senior Night in Cameron.

Sophomore year - How many of us readily assumed that Psycho T's numbers and impact would decline, given the huge influx of talent (3 consensus Top 10 recruits in Wright, Lawson, Ellington)? Didn't exactly turn out that way; although the team arguably underachieved, Hansbrough's numbers were virtually identical to those of his rookie campaign, and he clearly remained the Heels' most dominant player.

Junior year - How many of us were of the view that, for all of TH's intensity and production, he was still strictly a below the rim, in the paint player with limited athleticism? This one is a little more subjective, but I would still argue that this has proven to not be the case; he has clearly expanded his shooting range and offensive game in general, while demonstrating some genuine explosiveness, both around the hoop and in the open floor (the tip slam against Louisville was simply nasty). Much like Shane, Psycho T as an upperclassmen seems to have focused his conditioning more on improving his "athleticism" (e.g. plyometrics), rather than the traditional strength and aerobic endurance.

Again, I'm no expert on the NBA, but I will honestly be shocked if Hansbrough is a bust at the next level. He may never be an All-Star, but I could easily see him being a productive starter on an average team, and a strong 6th or 7th man on a contender.

It seems as though you have read my mind. While I may not be the biggest tyler supporter I can put bias aside and see that his will and his improvement over the past couple years will earn him some 6/7th man spot in the NBA. I for one refuse to bet against human will because 9 times out of 10 it is a losing bet

davekay1971
04-04-2008, 08:51 AM
This is a Duke forum. I seriously propose that the only way the nickname "Psycho T" gets used in a post is in complete and total mockery of one of the weakest, silliest, goofiest nicknames in all of sports history. Really...that is just a dumb nickname. Which makes it quite fitting for a tarhole, of course.

allenmurray
04-04-2008, 10:27 AM
I didn't realize until today (from an article in the N&O) that a full 1/3 of Hansbrough's points have come at the free throw line. I think that is a testament to how hard he works (even if he plays at UNC I'm not going to trash him, he is one of the hardest working players I have ever watched).

However, the calls he gets in college he won't get in the NBA. If 1/3 of his points are at the free throw line I think that shows he will be far less of a scoring threat playing against the big boys.

Kishiznit
04-04-2008, 10:29 AM
The last dominant big man in the ACC was Duncan. Hansbrough would have made him look bad this year - as bad as what Camby made him look when Wake played UMass.

Classof06
04-04-2008, 10:30 AM
However, the calls he gets in college he won't get in the NBA. If 1/3 of his points are at the free throw line I think that shows he will be far less of a scoring threat playing against the big boys.

Co-signed.

soccerstud2210
04-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Tyler will play the 4 or PF position in the pros. Howard and Ming are without a doubt 5s or Centers, and Duncan and KG play quite a bit of Center. Against the magic he would actually face Rashard Lewis who he would OWN down low, and against the Rockets he would have faced Chuck Hayes (be4 Yao was injured) who is an average defender.

i would take lewis any day over hans, and most likely yao will be back next year, or if hans stays one more year, then the year after that as well... the point i was making was his shots he throws up are going to have a higher percentage of getting blocked especially by the great centers of the nba

soccerstud2210
04-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I didn't realize until today (from an article in the N&O) that a full 1/3 of Hansbrough's points have come at the free throw line. I think that is a testament to how hard he works (even if he plays at UNC I'm not going to trash him, he is one of the hardest working players I have ever watched).

great point...

davekay1971
04-04-2008, 11:06 AM
The last dominant big man in the ACC was Duncan. Hansbrough would have made him look bad this year - as bad as what Camby made him look when Wake played UMass.

And Camby turned out to be a MUCH better pro than Duncan. Given that the thread here is Goofy T's pro potential, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by that comparison. And, by the way, I think you're wrong...imho college Duncan would have done just fine against college Hansbrough.

Edouble
04-04-2008, 11:16 AM

How dominant do you have to be to be dominant? Why wasn't double-double National POY Elton Brand dominant enough for you? What about Jamison (POY the year before him?)? If you don't consider those two players to be big guys b/c they are 4s playing the 5 spot, well, so is Hanstravel.

I don't buy that Hansfrog would have made Timmy D look bad.

MIKESJ73
04-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Hanstravels top 10 (my opinion) competition:

1) Dirk
2) J. O'neal
3) Duncan
4) Garnett
5) Boozer
6) Brand
7) Bosh
8) Marion
9) Aldridge
10) K. Martin

He will get killed. If he can stay in the league as long as Laettner, that would be a success. I believe Laettner would eat him up right now and leave a shoe print on his chest. It's funny how other fans look at Laettners career as disappointing, not many players average 13 pts and 7 rebs for 13 seasons and make an all star team.

Hector Vector
04-04-2008, 12:33 PM
I think Hansbrough's floor is probably Nick Collison, solidly productive part-time starter, averages about 10/7, and is capable of bigger more productive games. But as some have observed, his productivity has continuously outstripped what we would have projected from him given his body, athleticism and skill set. A Laettner career -- infrequent, lower tier all-star -- is probably realistic. I have a hard time seeing him as productive as Boozer, but then I never would predicted Boozer to be as productive as Boozer (even though I thought it was ridiculous that he went in 2d round).

While I am rooting for Kansas, I have to say the most intriguing finals matchup is UNC-UCLA, with Love and Hansbrough going head to head, two earthbound, superproductive warriors.

I would also have to concede that in college basketball, no player is more "deserving" of a championship. There was a wonderful 3 year run from 2000-2002, when seniors Cleaves, Battier, and Dixon, all iconic players for their respective programs, won championships. It almost happened the next year for Collison and Hinrich, but Carmelo prevailed. Okafor and May, albeit only juniors, fit this mold to some extent. But of course, it doesn't always work out -- see Redick, J.J. With so much early entry, particularly from elite programs, there aren't that many players who fit this mold, but I begrudgingly admit that Hansbrough does.

MarineTwinsDad
04-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Hansbrough has never really impressed me. I've seen too much leeway given him by over-the-back rebounding, traveling, pushing off on his shots, and constant praise by everyone. Energy has to come from somewhere, and with Hansbrough, he finds that everyone around him feeds his emotions.

His skill set isn't that remarkable. An earlier post spoke of how Shelden Williams didn't do that well against Hansbrough. However, at that time Shelden pretty much had to carry the defense, leaving his man to cover for others. If Shelden had half the support that Hansbrough has had, he could have handled Hansbrough just fine. Does anyone remember how well defensively Zoubek handled Hansbrough last year? Taller, heavier players who aren't so easy to bounce around give Hansbrough trouble, both offensively and defensively.

Once Hansbrough leaves the womb of UNC, he won't have the energy sources to feed upon, and he will become an ordinary tall college basketball player who may find little future in the NBA. His best bet is to stay for another year, get his first NBA contract, then find a career that suits him better.

SilkyJ
04-04-2008, 01:07 PM
i would take lewis any day over hans,

as would i. but that doesn't make lewis a good defender. tyler would abuse him in the paint.

the point i was making was his shots he throws up are going to have a higher percentage of getting blocked especially by the great centers of the nba

The point I was making is that he won't be posting up CENTERS but rather power forwards.

sandinmyshoes
04-04-2008, 01:19 PM
I think that one pro scout who talked about him and said something to the affect that the reason he might work out nicely in the pros is because he'll work at whatever he has to work at to make it. We've seen the expanding range on his jumper. He's become a decent defender because he's learned that if guys can shoot over him he'll have to front them or anticipate the pass into the post and sneak around for the steal.

Above somebody said he can't go to his left. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that if a coach, agent, scout, tells this kid he has to work on going to his left that he'll do anything but work his butt off on going to his left?

His athletic limitations are overstated, although they exist, but anywhere in the middle of the first round, I'm taking a chance that he will work himself into a very productive player.

Thing is, I heard some of the same cautions about him as a high school player. Heck, I have to admit to having said the same thing myself when he was a recruit. I thought he was productive in high school just because he was a little older and stronger than everyone else. I may have been right, but where I was in error was the assumption that he wouldn't continue to improve.

Scoring Point
04-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Hansbrough has never really impressed me. I've seen too much leeway given him by over-the-back rebounding, traveling, pushing off on his shots, and constant praise by everyone. Energy has to come from somewhere, and with Hansbrough, he finds that everyone around him feeds his emotions.

His skill set isn't that remarkable. An earlier post spoke of how Shelden Williams didn't do that well against Hansbrough. However, at that time Shelden pretty much had to carry the defense, leaving his man to cover for others. If Shelden had half the support that Hansbrough has had, he could have handled Hansbrough just fine. Does anyone remember how well defensively Zoubek handled Hansbrough last year? Taller, heavier players who aren't so easy to bounce around give Hansbrough trouble, both offensively and defensively.

Once Hansbrough leaves the womb of UNC, he won't have the energy sources to feed upon, and he will become an ordinary tall college basketball player who may find little future in the NBA. His best bet is to stay for another year, get his first NBA contract, then find a career that suits him better.

You and I must have been watching a different game in the 06 regular season finale. Hansbrough repeatedly took Shelden, playing him straight up, off the bounce in that game. I remember it vividly, because it shocked me at the time. And recall that the 06 Heels were not exactly loaded with slashers, either.

Your point about taller, heavier players is a fair one, though Hansbrough certainly produced against Roy Hibbert, among others. But it ignores the reality that as an NBA PF, he will mainly be matching up against 6-9/6-10 guys who may be more athletic, but not much bigger or, especially, stronger.