PDA

View Full Version : UNC Hasn't Produced A Great Player In 10 Years

Franzez
04-02-2008, 05:09 PM
With the recent transfer of Taylor King I was reading the comments on some articles about this coming from Tar Heel fans which were nothing but shots taken at Duke about producing talent in the NBA,and some names brought up were Daniel Ewing,Jason Williams,Josh McRoberts,and JJ Redick.

Theres nothing that grinds my gears more than a silly Heel fan making claims about the talent that comes from Duke

North Carolina only has 4 players in the NBA from the post-Dean Smith era
All 4 are the ones who won the NC a few years ago

Raymond Felton(average NBA PG)
Rashad McCants(average 6th Man)
Marvin Williams(promising SF)
Sean May(career potentially over)

What makes these silly Heel fans think there program is somewhat good at developing talent for the NBA?:confused:

pratt '04
04-02-2008, 05:17 PM
You forgot Brandan Wright (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brandan_wright/index.html)

And Brendan Haywood (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brendan_haywood/) never played for Dean, even though he was recruited by him

eddiehaskell
04-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Coach K has proven that he can produce great NBA players if he has NBA type talent to work with...Brand, Deng, Boozer, Hill, etc.

UNC has usually gotten more athletic players (NBA type talent) whereas Duke has gotten players that make up for athleticism with intelligence and heart. Overall, it seems like better athletes excel in the NBA. It's not like UNC has taken scrubs and made them into awesome NBA players.

For example, JJ Redick - did anyone expect his game to quickly translate into the NBA like a Felton or McCants? I didn't. He was made into a great player at Duke and I seriously doubt any other school could've gotten anymore out of him.

Oh, and lets not forget flops like Forte, Cota and Jawad Williams.

moonpie23
04-02-2008, 05:30 PM
and don't forget JOE FORTE (http://www.elevationmag.com/basketball/index.php?itemid=99)

eddiehaskell
04-02-2008, 05:39 PM
BTW - I'm not sure why anyone would bring up Jay Williams. Everyone knows he was in a near fatal accident. :rolleyes:

In Jay's rookie year (pre-accident) he averaged about 10 points and 5 assist.

Felton averaged 12 points and 6 assist in his rookie year (playing 4 more minutes per game).

Jay could've been every bit as good as Felton...maybe better.

Franzez
04-02-2008, 06:50 PM
You forgot Brandan Wright (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brandan_wright/index.html)

And Brendan Haywood (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brendan_haywood/) never played for Dean, even though he was recruited by him
Yeah almost everyone has forgotten about Brandan Wright,hes only played 34 games this season and from what I saw of him earlier this year he doesnt have a developed enough game to even contribute in the NBA.

He is based off of potential alone but other than his age he shouldnt be taking up an active roster spot.

Cameron
04-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Jay could've been every bit as good as Felton...maybe better.

Still to this day, I think Jason (Jay who? ;)) could have been an all-star one day. He had all the makings of a great, great scoring point guard in the League. He didn't have a lot of height on him, but he was as explosive as they come. What a shame...

As for UNC, I know the "Carolina Way" hasn't always been about producing individual numbers or whatever it is they like to claim, but it's about damn time the Heels produce a NPOTY. Like the originator of this thread said, it's been over ten years since Antawn Jamison. Since then, we've had four different NPOTYs in six different seasons (Brand '99, Battier '01, Williams '01, Williams '02, Redick '05, Redick, '06).

What a run. So much for not producing talent or developing players, both arguments I hear on a daily basis:rolleyes:

jma4life
04-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I firmly believe that Williams would be or at least was capable of being a much better point guard than Felton. Remember, he had to deal with the triangle offense. And, he did put up a triple double against Jason Kidd.

hondoheel
04-02-2008, 10:44 PM
and don't forget JOE FORTE (http://www.elevationmag.com/basketball/index.php?itemid=99)

Or Shav, Burgess, Avery, or Langdon.

Edouble
04-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Or Shav, Burgess, Avery, or Langdon. Burgess played in the NBA?

At least Avery and Langdon played out their contracts. Didn't Forte get drunk and fight his teammates or something, and get cut?

wolfpackdevil
04-02-2008, 11:55 PM
any player who goes to an acc school like duke or unc and goes to the nba is a great player.

And Raymond Felton is averging 14 points, and 7 assists a game.

That is not average!!!

davekay1971
04-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Don't ever let the 'Hole fans or Duke haters bullpottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! you about Duke talent at the next level. Duke has produced some guys who have struggled at the next level.

Divide K's Duke career into pre 1995 and post 1995:

Pre 1995:
Dawkins, Ferry, Alarie all made careers in the NBA, though none set the world on fire
Laettner - fine career
Hurley - get drunk and run your car into the SUV of any Tarhole who calls him a failure
Hill - perennial all-star until injuries slowed him down. Oh yeah, still playing
The bottom line: Coach K's best coaching in one respect: 7 final fours, 2 national championships with good, but not overpowering talent. Consider the talent Deano had from 1981-1995 and you have to admit that Coach K got the same or better results with less firepower.

Post 1995
Battier, Boozer, Brand, Dunleavy, Magette, Deng, Duhon...I'd take that for the core rotation of my NBA team any day
A few other guys with respectable stints as backups or journeymen. Jay Williams - who knows what could have been, but young guys sometimes do silly things that haunt them.
Redick and Williams - way too early to call these guys NBA failures.

I always laugh when Duke haters try to lay out the Duke guys suck in the NBA argument. First of all it isn't true. Second, if it were true, they'd just be making the point that Coach K is a great coach, since he's getting it done with, by their logic, subpar talent.

gw67
04-03-2008, 10:21 AM
The title of this thread should be revised to state “UNC Hasn’t Produced A Great NBA Player In 10 Years”. If we limit the discussion to college players, there have been four players in the ACC who had great careers during the last ten years, IMO. They are Redick, Dixon, JWill and Hansbrough. To state or imply that Hansbrough is not a great college player is crazy. He is a three-time first team All American and first team All ACC player. If he stays another year (I will be surprised), he will re-write many of the league records. As far as the pro careers of ACC players, Boozer, Brand, Maggette, Dunleavy and Deng appear to be the best of the group from the past ten years. Redick, Dixon and JWill have not had an impact in the pros and, while I don’t think Hansbrough will be a star, I expect him to be better than those three.

gw67

Troublemaker
04-03-2008, 10:34 AM
The title of this thread should be revised to state “UNC Hasn’t Produced A Great NBA Player In 10 Years”. If we limit the discussion to college players, there have been four players in the ACC who had great careers during the last ten years, IMO. They are Redick, Dixon, JWill and Hansbrough. To state or imply that Hansbrough is not a great college player is crazy. He is a three-time first team All American and first team All ACC player. If he stays another year (I will be surprised), he will re-write many of the league records. As far as the pro careers of ACC players, Boozer, Brand, Maggette, Dunleavy and Deng appear to be the best of the group from the past ten years. Redick, Dixon and JWill have not had an impact in the pros and, while I don’t think Hansbrough will be a star, I expect him to be better than those three.

gw67

I wouldn't include JWill in that NBA discussion because of his motorcycle accident. He's out of league now but his success is still clear -- he's alive. Also, I'm sure this was just an oversight, but Shane should be included in your list of great ACC players over the past 10 years, even if we're being very strict and excluding guys like Shelden, May, Felton, etc.

eddiehaskell
04-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Or Shav, Burgess, Avery, or Langdon.Or Jason Capel, Kris Lang, Ronald Curry (#1 rated high school player?), Montoss, David Noel, Shammond Williams, Rashawn Terry, Ademola Okulaja....

Makhtar N'Diaye, Derrick Phelps, Pete Chilcutt, Matt Wenstrom, Kevin Salvadori and Serge Swikker were also bad in the NBA.

:)

gw67
04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Trouble,

I respect your opinion and wrestled with myself about including Shane who not only was a terrific college player but my favorite Duke player of all time. I made the cut at those who were chosen three-time All ACC 1st team. Shane was two-time 1st team and was also 3rd team one year. That was my rationale but I should have included him as one of the great ACC players in the last ten years (he was also national DPOY three of times and NPOY once if memory serves.)

gw67

tarheelforlife
04-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Tyler Hansbrough
Ty lawson
Marcus Ginyard
Quentin Thomas
wayne elington
danny green

all are going to nba

Raymond Felton
Rashad MCcants
Sean may

who has duke produced? other than JJ Reddick

Duvall
04-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Tyler Hansbrough
Ty lawson
Marcus Ginyard
Quentin Thomas
wayne elington
danny green

Another interesting claim. How do you see players like Ginyard, Thomas and Green fitting into an NBA roster?

tarheelforlife
04-03-2008, 11:51 AM
i think there all good enough to be at least second string guys

Bostondevil
04-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Tyler Hansbrough
Ty lawson
Marcus Ginyard
Quentin Thomas
wayne elington
danny green

all are going to nba

Raymond Felton
Rashad MCcants
Sean may

who has duke produced? other than JJ Reddickulous

They may be going to NBA, we're just speculating on what they're going to do once they get there.

I'm by no means able to remember all the Heels in the NBA right now but let's just say two teams were limited to current alumni, let's take the Bucks and the Sonics.

Bucks get the Heels, let's see, Rasheed Wallace, Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Jerry Stackhouse, Marvin Williams, Felton, May, McCants who else?

Sonics get the Devils - Battier, Grant Hill, Corey Maggette, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, JJ, Chris Duhon, Loul Deng, Shelden Williams

Now, which team are you going to bet on in a 7 game series?

eddiehaskell
04-03-2008, 12:05 PM
all are going to nbaGoing to the NBA and being good in the NBA are two different things.

BTW, if you're including Ginyard and Quentin Thomas than I'm going to say DeMarcus Nelson and Scheyer are also going to the NBA. ;)

I can definately see Henderson and Singler going to the NBA.

Matches
04-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Wow - QT in the NBA, huh? I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

dukeENG2003
04-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Quentin Thomas in the NBA, is that a joke? Does that mean you think Bobby Frasor is NBA material too (since Frasor was ahead of him on the depth chart before the injury)?

Marcus Ginyard? I think its been proven that players can't make it based on defense alone. DJ Strawberry, a FAR superior defender to Ginyard is currently "making it down low." In Lawson's absence, he proved he can't play point, so he's a 6'5" shooting guard, one who can't shoot very well. Demarcus Nelson is better shooter, better driver, better defender, and just as good of a ball handler, and his NBA potential is questionable at best.

Danny Green could make it, but its FAR from guaranteed at this point.

devildeac
04-03-2008, 01:51 PM
i think there all good enough to be at least second string guys

Let me guess-journalism major? or perhaps English major?

freedevil
04-03-2008, 02:16 PM
This thread is sort of ridiculous. But I am enjoying devildeac's jabs.

gw67
04-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Generally, I can take or leave the big guy's columns but he is on the money with his comments re Hansbrough and Love. I figure that many on this board are blinded by their dislike of UNC but why the negativity nationally and why Love also? So what if they don't have great pro potential. They are both terrific college players.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7984308?MSNHPHMA

gw67

devildeac
04-03-2008, 04:11 PM
This thread is sort of ridiculous. But I am enjoying devildeac's jabs.

so noted. thank you:D .

RelativeWays
04-03-2008, 05:40 PM
You know, going by the preferred body type of the NBA, Green and Ellington may end up as better pros than either Hansbrough or Lawson.

DukePA
04-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Let me guess-journalism major? or perhaps English major?

Good one! I would love to know if the tarheel fan actually gets it :p.

devildeac
04-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Good one! I would love to know if the tarheel fan actually gets it :p.

I doubt it-s/he keeps posting here despite hinting at the improperly spelled or misused words and poor grammar. Must just love to flame/bait/troll and grief on the site:( .