PDA

View Full Version : Fraternity policy

appzter
04-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Not sure if this has been posted and/or answered before, but does Krzyzewski have a policy on the players joining fraternities? I know that it used to be allowed at some point, and I've heard rumors about the answer, but what's the actual situation?

hc5duke
04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
This doesn't answer your question at all, but Iciss Tillis was a Pi Phi while she played at Duke. No clue on men's team.

bfree
04-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Mens team players cannot join or live with fraternities, though many are de-facto members of one or another in that they're always around and good friends with the brothers.

moonpie23
04-02-2008, 05:20 PM
players are already in a frat.....it's called the DUKE MEN'S BASKETBALL TEAM.

I dunno how to say it in greek...

Duke09
04-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Ross Perkins was in a frat because he joined while he was a manager, before he made the team. But overall, they aren't allowed to.

Turk
04-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Don't think there was any such rule in the mid 80s; it must have come sometime afterwards... As I recall, there were a few fraternity members back then, plus some others that always hung around so much they might as well have been members of one frat or another...

bludev03
04-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Hillary Howard was in a sorority. Mistie Williams was a Zeta. I think they should be allowed to pledge. After all, they want them to be a "normal" student and get the "full college experience".....(snickers)

hc5duke
04-02-2008, 05:59 PM
players are already in a frat.....it's called the DUKE MEN'S BASKETBALL TEAM.

I dunno how to say it in greek...

Phi Beta Slamma Jamma?

pfrduke
04-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Phi Beta Slamma Jamma?

Not to be confused with the actual Phi Slama Jama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phi_Slama_Jama).

BlueintheFace
04-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Players can be in fraternities, but they cannot pledge. Battier was in one of the black fraternities.

pfrduke
04-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Not to be confused with the actual Phi Slama Jama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phi_Slama_Jama).

as an aside, the Glide in his dunking fraternity days is responsible for one of my favorite quotes:

I wanted to make him think first that I was going to dunk it. Then, if he thought that, I would bring it down and pass it. Then I went on and dunked it. Then we were both confused.

mgtr
04-02-2008, 09:19 PM
as an aside, the Glide in his dunking fraternity days is responsible for one of my favorite quotes:

Phi Slama Jama was one of the great entertainments for basketball fans. Wonderful. Like the heyday of UNLV or Loyola Marymount. None of us switched our fandom, but we enjoyed the show.

bludev03
04-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Players can be in fraternities, but they cannot pledge. Battier was in one of the black fraternities.

Which black fraternity?? I very very very seriously doubt he pledged

On a side note, how can you be in a frat w/o pledging??

hc5duke
04-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Which black fraternity?? I very very very seriously doubt he pledged

FWIW, according to this alumni list, Shane belongs to Phi Psi (http://www.phikappapsilag.com/index.php?page=data/aboutus.html), which I think was disbanded at Duke around 2002. (googling...) Yup, 2001 it seems (http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2001/02/phipsi202.html).

BlueintheFace
04-03-2008, 12:05 AM
FWIW, according to this alumni list, Shane belongs to Phi Psi (http://www.phikappapsilag.com/index.php?page=data/aboutus.html), which I think was disbanded at Duke around 2002. (googling...) Yup, 2001 it seems (http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2001/02/phipsi202.html).

Yep, he was in the step show in 2001... which drew quite a large crowd, and bludev3, like I said (you actually quoted it) they CANNOT pledge.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-03-2008, 12:07 AM

As a brother in Phi Kappa Psi at Duke, I can assure you that this is the first time I've ever heard that Shane was a Phi Psi, and even though it is on the web site linked, I am 99.999% sure it is in error. President Woodrow Wilson - yup. Actor Peter Graves - uh huh. Swimmer Mark Spitz - certainly. Shane Battier? Not likely. I would have loved it if he was.

Omega Phi Psi is/was a black fraternity at Duke. Phi Kappa Psi was not, although it did not discriminate in any way other than being a selective membership house, just as other fraternities are.

hc5duke
04-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Yep, he was in the step show in 2001... which drew quite a large crowd, and bludev3, like I said (you actually quoted it) they CANNOT pledge.

Umm... Phi Psi is not a black fraternity, I think you're thinking of Omega Psi Phi, which I doubt Shane is in.

BlueintheFace
04-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Umm... Phi Psi is not a black fraternity, I think you're thinking of Omega Psi Phi, which I doubt Shane is in.

which one had like three football players in it last year and that was the whole fraternitiy... purple and gold? That is the one I am thinking of...

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-03-2008, 12:23 AM
which one had like three football players in it last year and that was the whole fraternitiy... purple and gold? That is the one I am thinking of...

I believe those are the colors of Omega Psi Phi.

bludev03
04-03-2008, 01:29 AM

Yes, the "Que Dogs". Famous Que Dogs include: Shaq, Michael Jordan, Vince Carter, Bill Cosby, Jesse Jackson, Dr. Charles Drew, Charlie Ward, Langston Hughes, Tom Joyner, Steve Harvey, Amhad Rashad, Corliss Williamson, and John Salley.

I don't think Shane would be a Que Dog....but I can see him as an Ice Cold brother of Alpha Phi Alpha!

blazindw
04-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Shane was not a Que. He was in the step show, but that doesn't mean he was in a frat. He also was in the DUI (Duke University Improv) Big Show, but that doesn't mean he was a member.

Spencer's Daddy
04-03-2008, 09:36 AM
John Smith pledged Omega, and was on line during basketball season (although he wasn't treated as badly as his fellow pledges, as I recall). His Omega brand was visible when he played.

davekay1971
04-03-2008, 10:24 AM
The Qs! Don't tell me the Qs were disbanded at Duke!! Loved those guys...

Edouble
04-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I remember Ricky Price was in one of the step shows, wearing the frat colors, scarf and everything. I just assumed he was in the fraternity, but maybe he just came to dance.

SilkyJ
04-03-2008, 12:36 PM
On a side note, how can you be in a frat w/o pledging??

You can't if its a real frat.

On another side note: Duhon started up a "Frat" called Phi Drinka Forty where the initiation involved drinking several forties and then doing something really stupid like jumping off the 2nd floor balcony of Duhon's Central apt. They made hats that said PDF on the front and then had their nicknames on the back (i.e. CDoo) JJ was a proud member.

Acymetric
04-03-2008, 12:45 PM

On another side note: Duhon started up a "Frat" called Phi Drinka Forty where the initiation involved drinking several forties and then doing something really stupid like jumping off the 2nd floor balcony of Duhon's Central apt. They made hats that said PDF on the front and then had their nicknames on the back (i.e. CDoo) JJ was a proud member.

That is the coolest thing I have ever heard. Though I suppose this kind of thing isn't exactly good for Duke's reputation when it gets out into the public.

BlueintheFace
04-03-2008, 02:07 PM
He was in the step show, but that doesn't mean he was in a frat.

Nobody said it did...

Shammrog
04-03-2008, 02:10 PM

Are you serious?

If you are; (Though probably shouldn't), I find that really, really FUNNY!

BlueintheFace
04-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Duhon and JJ were also notoriously dominant beer pong players ("beirut" for you northeasterners). Sometimes they would jump on a table and not get knocked off it for hours.

blazindw
04-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Nobody said it did...

I was referring to the following...

Quoting...

SilkyJ
04-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Duhon and JJ were also notoriously dominant beer pong players ("beirut" for you northeasterners). Sometimes they would jump on a table and not get knocked off it for hours.

Duhon was ridiculous but JJ was just good. I am only OK and I beat JJ several times.

The funniest thing is that Duhon had this 3 page list of rules you had to read and then acknowledge via signature that you had read them. This was primarily b/c they had several rules that if broken, required a "naked run" (where the person takes off all their clothes and runs around the apt building). It was usually stuff like "not re-racking at 6 cups" or if the "opponent hit all their cups before you get a re-rack." People would do this stuff all the time and then try and back out of their naked run so duhon made people sign that they read the rules and then hold them to that. My buddy had to do a naked run once and as soon as he took off Casey Sanders came down and stole his pants so when he got back he would still be naked. good times....

Are you serious?

If you are; (Though probably shouldn't), I find that really, really FUNNY!

yes I am. its very, very funny.

Acymetric
04-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Duhon was ridiculous but JJ was just good. I am only OK and I beat JJ several times.

The funniest thing is that Duhon had this 3 page list of rules you had to read and then acknowledge via signature that you had read them. This was primarily b/c they had several rules that if broken, required a "naked run" (where the person takes off all their clothes and runs around the apt building). It was usually stuff like "not re-racking at 6 cups" or if the "opponent hit all their cups before you get a re-rack." People would do this stuff all the time and then try and back out of their naked run so Duhon made people sign that they read the rules and then hold them to that. My buddy had to do a naked run once and as soon as he took off Casey Sanders came down and stole his pants so when he got back he would still be naked. good times....

yes I am. its very, very funny.

Ah...the naked run...I've narrowly avoided a few of those myself.

Thats the one thing that makes me wish I was at a major D1 college where sports is big time...getting to get in on stuff like that with the athletes...taking on Duhon and JJ in pong would've been absolutely the best thing that ever happened to me. I would've gotten dominated (I'm definitely no better than average) but it'd be worth it.

Edouble
04-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Ah...the naked run...I've narrowly avoided a few of those myself.

Thats the one thing that makes me wish I was at a major D1 college where sports is big time...getting to get in on stuff like that with the athletes...taking on Duhon and JJ in pong would've been absolutely the best thing that ever happened to me. I would've gotten dominated (I'm definitely no better than average) but it'd be worth it.

I think I prefer just playing pick-up with the players in Card Gym, not that there is anything wrong with beer pong or naked runs.