PDA

View Full Version : Nelson in All Star Game

gw67
04-02-2008, 01:31 PM
I didn't see this on GoDuke but the Maryland basketball site states that Demarcus Nelson play in an All Star game as part of Final Four Friday. Gist and Hammonds of ACC will also take part. It appears that it is only for seniors.

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040208aab.html

gw67

SupaDave
04-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Yes - this is an annual thing.

Acymetric
04-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Nelson is having a great game. He started off with 10 of the 15 points for the national team, not sure how many he has now, but he looks good. On cstv (or CBS C I guess its called now) if anyone wants to watch.

Acymetric
04-04-2008, 08:14 PM
What a game!

Nelson ended up getting player of the game, went for 21 points and 7/9 from the free throw line (was 7/7 before the last 30 seconds) and 5 boards. His team won by 6. He actually probably got more boards, and maybe a point or 2 more. After they announced player of the game they stopped giving stats for him, so I had to keep track of it in my head.

roywhite
04-04-2008, 10:30 PM
I watched parts of the game and was impressed with DeMarcus's play. He didn't look like the same player that struggled against Belmont and West Virginia. And I suspect he was considerably healthier tonight than he was two weeks ago.

I wish him well in his future endeavors and hope to see him make the NBA.

adam
04-05-2008, 01:10 AM
Markie played 26 minutes and was named MVP with 21 points and 5 rebounds.

The ESPN story can be found here...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3330357

pete89
04-05-2008, 02:17 AM
who coaches each team??

Acymetric
04-05-2008, 02:22 AM
who coaches each team??

I want to say Oliver Purnell coached Nelson's team, with the other coach being the former USC coach that retired this year. I'm going down the deep end with names, but maybe someone else will remember. Oh, USC being South Carolina...

JasonEvans
04-05-2008, 04:54 AM
I want to say Oliver Purnell coached Nelson's team, with the other coach being the former USC coach that retired this year. I'm going down the deep end with names, but maybe someone else will remember. Oh, USC being South Carolina...

Former South Carolina coach was Dave Odom, who led Wake Forest for quite a while before bolting to USC because he could sense that his time at Wake was growing short.

Here is (http://www.heraldonline.com/news/sports/story/464737.html) a little blurb about the game that mentioned the coaches meeting for the last time (obviously, as Clemson and USC coaches, they got to know each other fairly well over the past few years).

The rosters look like mostly 2nd-round of the NBA draft kinda players (Xavier's Josh Duncan, James Gist, David Padgett, Vandy's Shaun Foster, Cliff Hammonds) but there are still some darn good basketball players there and it is a nice feather in his cap for Markie to win MVP. It certainly cannot hurt his NBA stock.

--Jason "I'm betting Markie goes in the middle of the 2nd round" Evans

Scarbo
04-05-2008, 07:18 AM
Replay at noon, fwiw......

beltwayBD
04-05-2008, 01:25 PM
What a great vindication for Markie. What stronger evidence do you need that the flu had sidelined him during the Tourney?

Jfrosh
04-06-2008, 01:26 PM
DeMarcus won the MVP award at the NABC all star game scoring 21 points and pulling down 5 rebounds. He looked really strong putting up threes and had one amazing putback dunk. On Direct TV Channel 610 they have a CBS college sports channel which shows things like this.