PDA

View Full Version : Is this "retro" logo legitimate?

steddyeddy
04-02-2008, 12:38 PM
I am considering making an little specialty kitchen device for my friend who is a Duke fan. When I was looking at logos to crib from the internet, I ran into the "retro" (marked 1966-1977) one shown here, which is a cool-looking (in my opinion) laughing face:

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=663

I thought this look might be unique and cool, but I wanted to make sure that this logo is actually one that was used by Duke sometime in the past. I cannot find any corroboration anywhere else on the web, thus I turn to you guys.

Cheers,

Ed.

grossbus
04-02-2008, 12:40 PM
i don't recall ever seeing that one. doesn't mean it isn't legit.

Stray Gator
04-02-2008, 12:53 PM
I am considering making an little specialty kitchen device for my friend who is a Duke fan. When I was looking at logos to crib from the internet, I ran into the "retro" (marked 1966-1977) one shown here, which is a cool-looking (in my opinion) laughing face:

I thought this look might be unique and cool, but I wanted to make sure that this logo is actually one that was used by Duke sometime in the past. I cannot find any corroboration anywhere else on the web, thus I turn to you guys.

Cheers,

Ed.

I believe that logo was used on Duke's football helmets when I was in school during the late 60s.

MulletMan
04-02-2008, 01:07 PM
I've never seen that one, but I have seen the other ones linked on that page at various times.

Scoring Point
04-02-2008, 01:10 PM
I believe that logo was used on Duke's football helmets when I was in school during the late 60s.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

Not sure if pasting the link worked, but scroll down a bit for Duke helmet history.

Anything is better than the cheesy script in my view.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-02-2008, 01:12 PM

Cheers,

Ed.
The logo you mention was first used on the football team's helmets in the 1966 season. My source? 1967 Chanticleer

steddyeddy
04-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks so much for all of your replies. So much information at your fingertips! Since I like the logo so much, I'll have to work it into the design somehow, perhaps less noticeably than the "modern" logo. The target is more of a basketball fan than football.

Cheers,

Ed.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks so much for all of your replies. So much information at your fingertips! Since I like the logo so much, I'll have to work it into the design somehow, perhaps less noticeably than the "modern" logo. The target is more of a basketball fan than football.

Cheers,

Ed.

The logo you're interested in was used for a variety of sports. Based on pictures in my Chanticleers, the fencing team used it in 1964. The varsity basketball team had it on their warm up shirts in the 1965-66 season. I think I remember the logo being used on the backs of the basketball warm up jackets, but I can't find any pictures showing that view of the uniform. (I used to sit behind the freshman team who sat behind the varsity.... thus I had a view of the backs of their warm ups.)

I'd love to see a picture of the finished product!

dukedrummer
04-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Looking for a Duke D logo with the basketball and net. Sportslogo.net has one, however, if you enlarge the image it is quite grainy. If anyone has vector image that would be even better. I have a cutter and am decorating a finished attic and would like to logo up some of my bar stools and signs in the room.

Thanks for your help!

GO DUKE!

Dukedrummer