PDA

View Full Version : Sutton out after two seasons as OSU coach.

adam
04-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Sean Sutton has apparently been fired after two seasons at Oklahoma State.

Here's the story from ESPN...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3323779

crimsonandblue
04-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Ugh.

BlueDevilBaby
04-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I had a feeling this was coming. He just did not look happy at any time during the season. You could almost see the pressure on his face during losses. Hopefully he lands on his feet soon and is successful.

DangerDevil
04-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Ugh.

Is Self going to follow Roy's lead and after getting the Jayhawks to the Final Four, say a few bad words to Bonnie Bernstein and then head back to his alma mater?

crimsonandblue
04-01-2008, 05:29 PM
From Self's previously scheduled local presser today, it sounds more like Self will just expect KU to back up the Brinks truck, which it will. Self repeatedly suggested that his alma mater look in a different direction. I assume he knows that T. Boone's looking at throwing $3 to $4 Million per at some name. Pretty obscene, really.

mgtr
04-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Well, that is sad. We can only rejoice that Duke did not have such a short fuse when Coach K was starting out.

Chitowndevil
04-01-2008, 07:03 PM
I really hope this was a mutual decision. For a guy who has been a part of the program for over 15 years to be forced out after just 2 years as a head coach is just embarrassing. It find it sad that it's common practice now for a coach to be hired and fired in less time than it takes a player to graduate.

FerryFor50
04-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Maybe they were taking out their horrible football season on him.

Dukiedevil
04-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Some rumors in UK land of OSU throwing a truck of money at Gillespie. Not sure how true it is, but after some of the criticisms he endured around here, I wouldn't blame him

BlueDevilBaby
04-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Is Self going to follow Roy's lead and after getting the Jayhawks to the Final Four, say a few bad words to Bonnie Bernstein and then head back to his alma mater?

No, because the Hawks are going to win. . .at least one more game! (fingers, toes, eyes dutifully crossed).

adam
04-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't understand how you can judge a coach after only two seasons. Sadly, it's becoming quite common. The University of Idaho also fired their coach (George Pfeifer) after just two years. In my opinion, if you give a coach a contract for three years, then honor that contract and at least give him the chance to develop the program.

roywhite
04-02-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't particularly like Sean Sutton, Eddie Sutton, Doug Gottleib, or Boone Pickens for that matter, but...

Bouncing the coach 2 years into an initial 5-year contract (and with most of the team coming back)...that's just not right.

crimsonandblue
04-02-2008, 02:02 PM
I don't particularly care for anyone in the OSU athletics department, but there was talk that Sean Sutton had basically been running the program for the final years of Eddie's tenure. And now things are trending down, so it's a little more unusual than just saying, "he got only two years."

I would think Pat Knight would have a similarly short window to make things right down in Lubbock, although TXTech doesn't have Pickens money to throw at a potentially better option.

Maybe one of the more interesting side effects of these legacy jobs is that you get the gig without much of a fight, but you don't get the benefit of "time to get your own kids in there," when you've been there for a while.

barjwr
04-02-2008, 02:20 PM

One would hope that Bill Self would see the difference between his alma mater and Ol' Roy's alma mater. I'm a KU fan, and while I will never agree with the decision or the logic that the frickin' one used to bail in 2003, I can see UNC and KU on equal footing with regard to program prominence. The same cannot be said of OSU: Mr. Iba and Big Country Reeves don't hold a candle to the tradition in Lawrence.

Anybody ever think that K would leave Duke for West Point? Didn't think so . . . .

DangerDevil
04-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Some rumors in UK land of OSU throwing a truck of money at Gillespie. Not sure how true it is, but after some of the criticisms he endured around here, I wouldn't blame him

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/seth_davis/04/02/indiana.crean/1.html

ReCap of Seth's thoughts on the Coaching Carousel speculation:

OSU's T. Boone Pickens throwing a lot of money at Gillispie.

Tony Bennett still looking to get out of the Northwest, maybe LSU or Marquette.

Travis Ford to LSU or Western Kentucky.

dkbaseball
04-02-2008, 10:02 PM
TXTech doesn't have Pickens money to throw at a potentially better option.

Don't be completely certain. Pickens is from Amarillo, 120 miles north of Lubbock with absolutely nothing in between. He threw enough money at West Texas A&M to be able to call the shots there. He is also tight with the newspaper company that owns the papers in both Amarillo and Lubbock. He might just consider Texas Tech within his sphere of influence. This is a man who likes to have his influence felt, and his name in the papers.

roywhite
04-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Don't be completely certain. Pickens is from Amarillo, 120 miles north of Lubbock with absolutely nothing in between. He threw enough money at West Texas A&M to be able to call the shots there. He is also tight with the newspaper company that owns the papers in both Amarillo and Lubbock. He might just consider Texas Tech within his sphere of influence. This is a man who likes to have his influence felt, and his name in the papers.

Can't imagine Team Knight getting along with T. Boone, so it wouldn't be a smooth transition. Not sure even Texas is big enough for those egos to co-exist peacefully.

dkbaseball
04-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Can't imagine Team Knight getting along with T. Boone, so it wouldn't be a smooth transition. Not sure even Texas is big enough for those egos to co-exist peacefully.

But they are politically sympatico. Both good pals with the editor of The American Spectator, for one. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Pickens had a hand in bringing RMK, the right's favorite coach, to Lubbock.

Indoor66
04-03-2008, 08:58 AM
But they are politically sympatico. Both good pals with the editor of The American Spectator, for one. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Pickens had a hand in bringing RMK, the right's favorite coach, to Lubbock.

I am curious, what does the portion I highlighted mean?

dkbaseball
04-03-2008, 09:37 AM
I am curious, what does the portion I highlighted mean?

They like the authoritarianism, the military values, the reverence for 1950s America, and the combustible rage that ends any attempts at penetrating inquiry. Or so I'd imagine.