PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Favors

BlueintheFace
03-31-2008, 11:06 PM
BIG RELATIVELY NEW BREAKING NEWS!!!!- (pun intended) In the last couple of days Duke has started to target the #1 overall prospect in the class of 2009- Derick Favors. All of you who want a one-and-done dominant big man- Here is Duke's chance!!! The story came out today on Scout.com

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2430550

The article came out today. Looks like TK heading out could make a lot of wishes come true for posters on DBR. Again- BIG NEWS!

blazindw
03-31-2008, 11:14 PM
I moved this to its own thread to separate from the Taylor King comments. Feel free to discuss any and all news regarding Derrick Favors here.

DavidBenAkiva
03-31-2008, 11:20 PM
The Favors news (I opted not for the super terrible pun: the favorable news...) got me thinking, although this has probably been asked: Can Coach K "use" the USA Olympic team to recruit? Obviously, I am sure that he can talk about his experience with the Olympic team, but this is what I was wondering: can, say, Kobe Bryant and/or Dwight Howard (or Boozer, or LeBron, or Brand, etc.) talk to Favors about Coach K? Is that against the rules?

OJ Mayo was able to go to a basketball game and certainly talked with Carmello Anthony at some point. Are high school kids allowed to be contacted by professionals? This seems like it wouldn't be allowed by the NCAA and Myles Brand, but who knows? Are recruits allowed to contact professionals once on campus?

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

freedevil
03-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Anyone who has seen Kevin Love rip competition has to think that Favors would be a great addition. Let's hope he's not "Patrick Patterson-ing" Duke, and by that, I mean just including Duke to make his prospective school list a little more intriguing. And if you think recruits don't do that, just look at Tyreke Evans, who listed UNC long, LONG after UNC made it terribly clear they had no interest in him.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-31-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm far from knowledgeable about recruiting, but from the little I've picked up two things seem apparent:

a) From a talent standpoint he would be as great fit. He has the build and rep to be just what the doctor ordered. After this season the phrase "Few have the ability to finish with strength and efficiency that he brings" is music to my ears.

That said,

b) Given how good he is, we're getting in pretty late in the game. This could be a negative in terms of landing him (duh!) but it also makes me wonder why we weren't interested earlier. Is he a late bloomer? Were his academics not great but he's recently improved? What has changed, other than our situation, that makes him a good fit for us and us for him?

In short, are we seriously in the mix for this guy, or is this just a knee-jerk move by the staff or the fans hoping that he'll be interested and a good fit when he wasn't before?

Troublemaker
03-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Looks like TK heading out could make a lot of wishes come true for posters on DBR.

I don't think we would be offering Favors TK's scholarship but rather Echenique's. I think the plan was always to get one natural center from this class; with Ech no longer an option, we're now moving on to Favors. Which is ironic in a way because Favors is considered the much better player, of course.

FireOgilvie
03-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Favors had some pretty insane numbers this past season.. 23.7 points, 17.1 rebounds and 9.1 blocked shots a game.

Troublemaker
03-31-2008, 11:48 PM
b) Given how good he is, we're getting in pretty late in the game. This could be a negative in terms of landing him (duh!) but it also makes me wonder why we weren't interested earlier. Is he a late bloomer? Were his academics not great but he's recently improved? What has changed, other than our situation, that makes him a good fit for us and us for him?

In short, are we seriously in the mix for this guy, or is this just a knee-jerk move by the staff or the fans hoping that he'll be interested and a good fit when he wasn't before?

I don't think anything our staff does is knee-jerk. If anything, they're too deliberate. At least, that is the criticism they sometimes receive -- they take too long to evaluate players, don't put out enough offers, etc.

I'm no insider but my guess is the reason we weren't that interested in Favors sooner was because our main target up until recently was Echenique. We're still more or less following the serial recruiting strategy. Murphy says no, recruit Plumlee. Echenique says no, recruit Favors. If your question is why we went after Echenique first over Favors, I think it probably has a lot to do with Echenique's intense academic focus and likelihood to be a 4-yr player.

Coballs
03-31-2008, 11:48 PM
Favors had some pretty insane numbers this past season.. 23.7 points, 17.1 rebounds and 9.1 blocked shots a game.

I think that there might be a role for him on this team.

Icarus09
03-31-2008, 11:59 PM
Does anyone have information on what Favors is thinking? I only saw what scout.com states about schools that he's interested in but those could be outdated for all I know. And given the schools listed high in terms of his interest, our situation coming late into the recruiting process could have been worse. We could be going up against a UCLA or UNC instead of the close-to-home schools.

OZ
04-01-2008, 12:03 AM
BIG RELATIVELY NEW BREAKING NEWS!!!!- (pun intended) In the last couple of days Duke has started to target the #1 overall prospect in the class of 2009- Derick Favors. All of you who want a one-and-done dominant big man- Here is Duke's chance!!! The story came out today on Scout.com

The article came out today. Looks like TK heading out could make a lot of wishes come true for posters on DBR. Again- BIG NEWS!

There is a big difference, as we have seen lately, between targets and signees.

Coballs
04-01-2008, 12:27 AM

We know this all too well. But you've got to be in it to win it.

BlueintheFace
04-01-2008, 12:36 AM

True enough- I'm just trying to stay positive tonight. So for now I am going to pretend that Duke is at the top of his list and will inevitably bring it home. This of course will lead to a national championship as our entire class of 2010 rides off into the sunset for NBA stardom/mediocrity. Favors returns and Duke wins 3 more in a row. Coach K retires after 7 championships and the all-time wins record. This is how it all plays out in my head tonight.... tomorrow Favors will commit to UConn and major in Grand Larceny Studies.

DavidBenAkiva
04-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Does anyone have information on what Favors is thinking?

Does ANYONE know what a 17 year old kid is thinking? This isn't Axis & Allies. This isn't even Stratego. This is a bunch of high school kids thinking about their future. Besides athletes, how many high school kids give this much thought to their future? OK, that was a bit of hyberbole, but you get my drift...

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

DevilCastDownfromDurham
04-01-2008, 12:52 AM
I don't think anything our staff does is knee-jerk. If anything, they're too deliberate. At least, that is the criticism they sometimes receive -- they take too long to evaluate players, don't put out enough offers, etc.

I'm no insider but my guess is the reason we weren't that interested in Favors sooner was because our main target up until recently was Echenique. We're still more or less following the serial recruiting strategy. Murphy says no, recruit Plumlee. Echenique says no, recruit Favors. If your question is why we went after Echenique first over Favors, I think it probably has a lot to do with Echenique's intense academic focus and likelihood to be a 4-yr player.

Thanks for the insight. I agree about the "serial recruiting" strategy and wonder if it hasn't cost us in the past. I can also see the advantage to a 4-year academic guy like Ech, but am surprised that a stud like Favors wasn't on our radar as well, given our glaring need at the position. Anyway, here's hoping this kid comes to Duke and provides the low-post compliment to the amazing lineup we've put together at the other 4 spots.

dukeblue1215
04-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Sure, we are going after him but is there a real possibility he ends up coming here? And, as for the 1 and done thing, it shouldn't be that bad because he could be what we need to put us back on the map for other big men to come in the future and/or get us back to the final four.

watzone
04-01-2008, 01:37 AM

The last couple of days? He's been on the radar since July of last year.

watzone
04-01-2008, 01:44 AM

Actually, they thought they had a better chance of signing him and the fact that he will stay in school is attractive too. There are a lot of teams going after the talented Mr. Favors, but Duke offers him a great opportunity. Again, Duke has never backed off of Favors. It's more a case of him deciding to get serious about his eventual choice which spurs current talk.

FWIW, Duke is pleased with Plumlee and doesn't regret Murphy slipping away at this point. Bob Gibbons has recently ranke Plumlee ahead of Murphy.

This staff has taken a lot of knocks, but they can put together a solid class and they are out there working it.

Jumbo
04-01-2008, 01:50 AM

Come on, Watzone. We both know that he was not nearly as high a priority as he was now. He might have been on the radar, but Duke was not chasing him nearly as hard as they went after other prospects.

watzone
04-01-2008, 02:06 AM
Come on, Watzone. We both know that he was not nearly as high a priority as he was now. He might have been on the radar, but Duke was not chasing him nearly as hard as they went after other prospects.

Jumbo, Favors has been on their list for a long time. I have had him listed since last July in my premoum section and he has never fallen off the radar.

They certainly went after Boynton, and Echenique harder. Plumlee is a gem after missing on Murphy. Echenique is a three or four year player while Favors is a one or two. Echenique was ready to make his choice, so he was a priority. So, sure they may have dropped him had all the players signed, but now that Taylors gone ....

Favors hasn't even trimmed his list and was long thought to have wanted to remain in Atlanta. He is just starting to take a serious look at where he might want to play college ball.

Ever wonder how a certain person might all of a sudden make a call to him? If he shows interest, then it is news. Well, he stated his interest to me during last season NBA Players Association Camp.

Here is an excerpt from my July 07 article -

"When I asked Favors of his ascension to the top he said, "It's just hard work and wanting to win." When asked what schools were on his short list, he said everybody.

He will confer with his parents and coaches, meaning both his AAU and high school coach. "If I had a dream school, it's probably (Georgia) Tech," said Favors.

Favors grew up in Atlanta and many feel it will be hard to get him north of that destination. When talking of Hewitt, Favors said, "He cool."

I then asked the rising big man about other ACC schools like Duke or UNC and he said, "They've already come in ... they've been in touch."

When asked who he talked to from UNC, he couldn't remember. I can't pronounce the name of the guy from Duke. He was referring to Wojo.'

Now of course Tech's Hewitt being there is up in the air and Georgia doesn't offer the hype he might desire. So what better time to make a move, or in this case stay in touch and see what he's thinking.

This is from my last 2009 Update done on February 1st, 08 -

Derrick Favors - (6-9) Atlanta, GA. South Atlanta (Strong Interest) Strong interest you say? Well, who doesn't have interest in the super talented and dominant front court player? While Duke cooled a bit back, they recently took a look at him in one of his games. Despite being a one or two year player, he would help any program. Still, I have to call him a longshot in that he seems to want to remain in his region. You never know what can happen in recruiting -- that's for sure.
There are a couple of more names that could trickle in. More on that later.

So I beg to differ in that they are going at him at a steadily increasing pace appropriate for his recruitment. Especially with certain developments of late. Duke has more plans than some realize and they will recruit the kids that fit into their plans. Who wouldn't want a monster rebounder like Favors?

Jumbo
04-01-2008, 02:09 AM
last

Jumbo, Favors has been on their list for a long time. I have had him listed since last July and he has never fallen off the radar.

Echenique is a three or four year player while Favors is a one or two. Echenique was ready to make his choice, so he was a priority. Favors hasn't even trimmed his list and was long thought to have wanted to remain in Atlanta. He is just starting to take a serious look at where he might want to play college ball.

Ever wonder how a certain person might all of a sudden make a call to him? If he shows interest, then it is news. Well, he stated his interest to me during last season NBA Players Association Camp.

Here is an excerpt from my July 07 article -

"When I asked Favors of his ascension to the top he said, "It's just hard work and wanting to win." When asked what schools were on his short list, he said everybody.

He will confer with his parents and coaches, meaning both his AAU and high school coach. "If I had a dream school, it's probably (Georgia) Tech," said Favors.

Favors grew up in Atlanta and many feel it will be hard to get him north of that destination. When talking of Hewitt, Favors said, "He cool."

I then asked the rising big man about other ACC schools like Duke or UNC and he said, "They've already come in ... they've been in touch."

When asked who he talked to from UNC, he couldn't remember. I can't pronounce the name of the guy from Duke. He was referring to Wojo.'

Now of course Tech and Hewitt being their is up in the air and Georgia doesn't offer the hype he might desire. So what better time to make a move, or in this case stay in touch and see what he's thinking.

This is from my last 2009 Update done on February 1st, 08 -

Derrick Favors - (6-9) Atlanta, GA. South Atlanta (Strong Interest) Strong interest you say? Well, who doesn't have interest in the super talented and dominant front court player? While Duke cooled a bit back, they recently took a look at him in one of his games. Despite being a one or two year player, he would help any program. Still, I have to call him a longshot in that he seems to want to remain in his region. You never know what can happen in recruiting -- that's for sure.
There are a couple of more names that could trickle in. More on that later.

So I beg to differ in that they are going at him at a steadily incresing pace appropriate for his recruitment.

I'll PM you tomorrow about some of this stuff. I've heard somewhat differently.

wisteria
04-01-2008, 02:13 AM
sure I'm not in the know regarding recruiting, but I've heard that Favors wants to stay close to Georgia for personal reasons. If you look at this scholarship offers, they were mainly from schools of southern states (Clemson, Georgia, GT...) I was surprised to see the quality of his offers (sure UNC offered, but others were not very impressive). So maybe there are personal issues playing a role here.

kramerbr
04-01-2008, 10:33 AM
I'll PM you tomorrow about some of this stuff. I've heard somewhat differently.

Why don't you just pm him with that message in the first place?

It's kind of like going on the board and saying "I know something you don't know......"

Jumbo
04-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Why don't you just pm him with that message in the first place?

It's kind of like going on the board and saying "I know something you don't know......"

Actually, it was my way of telling the board that I'm not going to get into a urinating match over something as silly as recruiting. I thought it was a nice thing to do. Sheesh.

UrinalCake
04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Okay, speaking from a standpoint of pure ignorance here... the link has him listed at 6'9 and 220, which seems a little thin to be a "dominant big man". I know he's still a high school junior with plenty of time to grow, but his build sounds more like Lance Thomas than Greg Zoubek. What position is he projected to play in college?

Duke79UNLV77
04-01-2008, 11:20 AM
"What position is he projected to play in college?"

Beast.

some just plain nasty blocks here, and keeping the ball in play (actually just plain catching the ball).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j-z1roI7-fQ&feature=related

watzone
04-01-2008, 11:32 AM

Beast.

some just plain nasty blocks here, and keeping the ball in play (actually just plain catching the ball).

PF or C. He is the grand prize left in the 09 class. He's a beast on the boards and very athletic. Still a bit unpolished on offense but that will come. He has a soft spoken demeanor and is a polite, easy going individual off the court.

watzone
04-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Here is an interview with a player the staff visited yesterday.Terrell Vinson (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2008/4/1/3613944.html)

Devilsfan
04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
He sees himself as a 3?

roywhite
04-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Here is an interview with a player the staff visited yesterday.Terrell Vinson (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2008/4/1/3613944.html)

Thanks, Watzone....offer to Mr. Vinson forthcoming?

watzone
04-01-2008, 12:28 PM

Not sure. I think it's more of an evaluation period.

Duvall
04-01-2008, 12:32 PM

Now, *this* might be affected by the King departure.

Jumbo
04-01-2008, 12:49 PM

I've got the sense that he's a backup plan to Leslie McDonald. I could be totally wrong, though.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
04-01-2008, 01:05 PM
gotta love a baller in the northface.

SilkyJ
04-01-2008, 01:06 PM

Since there is a gray area surrounding "being on the radar" and actually "targeting" (i.e. making that recruit a top priority) let's put it another way: has a scholarship been offered or is one imminent?

Huh?
04-01-2008, 01:29 PM
If he can play the 3 more power to him, I would love to see a legit 6'7" guy at the 3. The big thing with us is that our 4 man is like another college's 3 man position, he plays all over the court. This new offense seems to have lured some nice potential talent, I've heard that mentioned from a few recruits already.

Huh?
04-01-2008, 01:30 PM
meaning the recruits have mentioned the new offense, sorry, typing fast at work.

Cameron
04-01-2008, 03:11 PM
I know he's still a high school junior with plenty of time to grow, but his build sounds more like Lance Thomas than Greg Zoubek.

Wasn't he that star here that scored 490 points one game, back in the mid '90s? He stood something like 8 feet, scaled off at 350, motorcycles for arms.

And Greg Koubek stood only 6'6", so not sure what we're talking about exactly...

tommy
04-01-2008, 03:58 PM
FWIW, Duke is pleased with Plumlee and doesn't regret Murphy slipping away at this point. Bob Gibbons has recently ranke Plumlee ahead of Murphy.

Watzone, we all are aware of the caveat, voiced more frequently of late, that our recruits are sometimes overrated, with one reason being the "if Duke is recruiting him, he must be good" or "if Duke offered/signed him, he must be better than . . ." syndrome. When I see Gibbons, who I know has major credibility in recruiting, suddenly moving Plumlee ahead of Murphy, it makes me wonder about this issue.

What do you think?

Rudy
04-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Is there an academic threshold other than simple NCAA eligibility below which Duke cannot go? Are there top players we can't go for because of this?

Skitzle
04-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Is there an academic threshold other than simple NCAA eligibility below which Duke cannot go? Are there top players we can't go for because of this?

I'm willing to bet that Duke has some semblance of its own academic threshold in place. I'm also willing to bet that it gets thrown out the window if coach k asks.

Jumbo
04-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm willing to bet that Duke has some semblance of its own academic threshold in place. I'm also willing to bet that it gets thrown out the window if coach k asks.

Coach K has to be able to go to bat for the right person for the right reasons. Case in point: Sean Dockery didn't have the numbers you'd associate with a Duke recruit, but Coach K was adamant that he was a victim of inner-city circumstances, fought hard for him and he got into Duke. And, from what I understand, K's faith paid off -- Dockery could indeed handle the courseload at Duke.

Skitzle
04-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Coach K has to be able to go to bat for the right person for the right reasons. Case in point: Sean Dockery didn't have the numbers you'd associate with a Duke recruit, but Coach K was adamant that he was a victim of inner-city circumstances, fought hard for him and he got into Duke. And, from what I understand, K's faith paid off -- Dockery could indeed handle the courseload at Duke.

Never said it wasn't justified, or the kids couldn't handle it. Just saying that the idea of academic standards is used very loosely when it comes to a player the team is targetting

roywhite
04-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Never said it wasn't justified, or the kids couldn't handle it. Just saying that the idea of academic standards is used very loosely when it comes to a player the team is targetting

Duke is a private school. It gives admissions preferences for:
1. Minority applicants
2. Children of alumni
3. Wealthy applicants, whose families are identified for donor potential
4. Residents of North Carolina (to some degree)
5. Various applicants with special talents, including many scholarship athletes

It is a selective school with very good academics, but hardly a strict academic meritocracy.

kramerbr
04-01-2008, 08:09 PM

Great interview! Every question was on point and what everyone wanted to know.

Now if only you'd give me a free-trial month I might be interested...

yancem
04-01-2008, 08:11 PM

Beast.

Either that's not a 10' rim or he looks bigger than 6'9".

kramerbr
04-01-2008, 08:23 PM

His wingspan seems to be about 7'2".

JasonEvans
04-01-2008, 09:34 PM

I have some good sources around the program and I can tell you for a fact that at least half the kids in the top 50 are kids Duke would enver consider recruiting. Duke's evaluation process on recruits is incredibly detailed and extensive before any of us even hears about the program being interested in a recruit. Trust me, Duke already probably has a transcript and test scores and has had conversations with advisers/teachers of Derrick Favors to determine that he is a kid who can fit in at Duke and who values the education he will get from the University.

Sure, we take a kid who appears to be an academic risk every now and then (Dock and CWell are two very notable examples of this). But, even those kids tend to be something different from a lot of the top recruits who are really only interested in classes to the extent that they can remain elligible.

One reason Duke is very slow to make formal scholarship offers and one reason we tend to target a lot fewer kids than other schools is precisely because of our academic criteria and the demands we make on kids that they actually be real students while they are here. It may sound arrogant, but there are very few other elite basketball programs who are as academically focussed as Duke is. It absolutely impacts our ability to recruit who we want-- no question about it.

--Jason "I'd rather be a program that plays honestly with academics and struggles sometimes to make the Sweet 16 than a program that does not care about educating its players and makes the Final Four a bit more often" Evans

JasonEvans
04-01-2008, 09:36 PM

Agreed, it looked kinda funny. I think a lot of it was that he was playing against other post players who were 6-2 or so. It makes him seem even taller because he can block their shots without even really leaving his feet.

He sure looked great though-- and seemed somewhat fluid offensively too. Niiice!

--Jason "ummm, I think we could find a role for him at Duke ;) " Evans

BD80
04-01-2008, 10:27 PM
--Jason "I'd rather be a program that plays honestly with academics and struggles sometimes to make the Sweet 16 than a program that does not care about educating its players and makes the Final Four a bit more often" Evans

Other than 2 of this year's final four and the last 2 national champions and maybe UCon, and anywhere Huggins or Sampson coach, who would you be speaking of?

FireOgilvie
04-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Other than 2 of this year's final four and the last 2 national champions and maybe UCon, and anywhere Huggins or Sampson coach, who would you be speaking of?

Not UNC. They technically have a higher graduation rate than we do. They also run a surprisingly classy program (except Green).

roywhite
04-01-2008, 10:41 PM
One reason Duke is very slow to make formal scholarship offers and one reason we tend to target a lot fewer kids than other schools is precisely because of our academic criteria and the demands we make on kids that they actually be real students while they are here. It may sound arrogant, but there are very few other elite basketball programs who are as academically focussed as Duke is. It absolutely impacts our ability to recruit who we want-- no question about it.

No doubt, but that occasionally works in our favor. Prospects like Grant Hill, Shane Battier, or Jason Williams...they consider Duke's academics to be a plus, and wouldn't consider many other "top" basketball powers with less academic emphasis. UNLV-type guys...uhh, no.

BD80
04-01-2008, 10:58 PM

Not UNC. They technically have a higher graduation rate than we do. They also run a surprisingly classy program (except Green).

Ummm, right. That leaves two out of three.

Hint, I also think Kansas runs a pretty good program in terms of education.

Duke09
04-02-2008, 12:00 AM
If the 2009 class works out and Singler stays 4 years, this team could be great

PG Smith SR Bynton So
SG WilliamJR MacDonald So
SF Singer SR
PF Plumblee So Czyz Jr
C Favors So

I know Favors is project 1 and done and singler could be gone, but its still fun to look at. The last 2 Duke final fours have been a team made up of a a senior leader or two (Battier James in 01, Duhon in 03) and a stud sophomore class (J Will Class and the JJ Shelden class). This is 3 years away, but I'm just saying the sky isn't falling.

yancem
04-02-2008, 09:42 AM
His wingspan seems to be about 7'2".

That might explain it. He does seem to have a bit of a Brand look to him. Not saying he will or will not be as good but the long arms and athleticism is some what similar.

BlueintheFace
04-02-2008, 11:00 AM
If the 2009 class works out and Singler stays 4 years, this team could be great

PG Smith SR Bynton So
SG WilliamJR MacDonald So
SF Singer SR
PF Plumblee So Czyz Jr
C Favors So

I know Favors is project 1 and done and singler could be gone, but its still fun to look at. The last 2 Duke final fours have been a team made up of a a senior leader or two (Battier James in 01, Duhon in 03) and a stud sophomore class (J Will Class and the JJ Shelden class). This is 3 years away, but I'm just saying the sky isn't falling.

Why dream about three years away? What about year after next...

Guards- Smith, Scheyer, Henderson (maybe, but prob not), Boynton, McDonald, Williams

Big Men- Thomas, Zou, Favors, Plumlee, Czyz, Singler

Duvall
04-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Personally, I'm really excited about the 2031 season. I think that Shelden Parker-Williams, Ed Battier and the Floor-Slapper 9000 will have a great shot at securing Duke's elusive twelfth national title. I'm just worried that Brian Bersticker, Jr. and Zombie Eric Montross will anchor another solid Carolina squad.

BlueintheFace
04-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Personally, I'm really excited about the 2031 season. I think that Shelden Parker-Williams, Ed Battier and the Floor-Slapper 9000 will have a great shot at securing Duke's elusive twelfth national title. I'm just worried that Brian Bersticker, Jr. and Zombie Eric Montross will anchor another solid Carolina squad.

Well little wojo will be leading us at the point so I wouldn't be too concerned....

ArtVandelay
04-02-2008, 01:37 PM

That was possibly the funniest post I've ever read on the DBR boards. Well played.

Shammrog
04-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Agreed, it looked kinda funny. I think a lot of it was that he was playing against other post players who were 6-2 or so. It makes him seem even taller because he can block their shots without even really leaving his feet.

He sure looked great though-- and seemed somewhat fluid offensively too. Niiice!

--Jason "ummm, I think we could find a role for him at Duke ;) " Evans

Yes, we could find a role for him. The more pertinent question, my dear Mr. Evans, is WHERE CAN WE GET A READY SUPPLY OF SMALL CHILDREN TO FEED TO HIM?

That guy is a beast!!!

BlueDevilJay
04-02-2008, 02:05 PM
And Greg Koubek stood only 6'6", so not sure what we're talking about exactly...

Sorry, I know its off topic, but that just made me literally laugh out loud, as I have had to correct my dad the entire season about this. "I wish ole' Koubek would start progressing more....if Koubek could live up to his potential, Duke would have a solid inside presence"

I was constantly reminding him that Koubek left years ago. Kinda weird that we have now had two *oubeks though isn't it? Sorry for the interruption, now back to the regularly scheduled Favors discussion.

Classof06
04-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Why dream about three years away? What about year after next...

Guards- Smith, Scheyer, Henderson (maybe, but prob not), Boynton, McDonald, Williams

Big Men- Thomas, Zou, Favors, Plumlee, Czyz, Singler

I agree. While I think we can be a damn good team next year, I think 2009 is the year, IMO, that Duke can legitimately compete for a NC (even w/o Favors). This statement is based on the development by Zoubek; I have no doubts that Zoubek will eventually get to where Duke needs him to be, but I feel more comfortable saying that he'll get there by his senior season. If he comes back as a monster next year, then I'lll stand corrected....and be happy to do that :) .

And regarding Dockery's recruitment, I know there were a lot of people that gave Duke some flack over that. Most people knew he didn't really fit into Duke's academic criteria and many outside Duke had no problem voicing that opinion.

BD80
04-02-2008, 04:24 PM

Shelden Parker-Williams will give us a big advantage in the future when the teams are mere clones of the greatest living players. Shel II will get the nod over Laettner to start with JWill, GMan, Shane, and Grant. Elton, Hurley, JJ, Luol & Boozer will share the title "6th starter". Carolina will be in shambles, because they will keep bringing in 13 Jordan clones each year and they will all go pro the next year. NBA teams will only draft MJ clones, KG clones, or Tim Duncan clones - except that Atlanta will alternately draft the latest Kwame Brown clone or Joe Barry Carroll clone or Michael Olowokandi clone. Of course, us old farts will be saying that the latest Battier clone isn't as good as the original.

Jarhead
04-02-2008, 04:31 PM
K didn't recruit him, but Gene banks also tuned out just fine academically. There are exceptions to the rule that happen to succeed, and to bring great credit to the university.

Jarhead
04-02-2008, 04:32 PM
You forgot Methodist preachers.

Kdogg
04-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Carolina will be in shambles, because they will keep bringing in 13 Jordan clones each year and they will all go pro the next year.

That would never work because they ALL would want the ball. They would have to throw a couple Ed Cota's.

yancem
04-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Well little wojo will be leading us at the point so I wouldn't be too concerned....

Doesn't Floor Slapper 9000 = Little Wojo?

BlueintheFace
04-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Doesn't Floor Slapper 9000 = Little Wojo?

I figured the Floor Slapper 9000 would be a basketball robot (obviously created by a Duke alum), but I like your interpretation too.

phaedrus
04-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Yes, we could find a role for him. The more pertinent question, my dear Mr. Evans, is WHERE CAN WE GET A READY SUPPLY OF SMALL CHILDREN TO FEED TO HIM?

Um, Chapel Hill?

And if they run out, Poplar Bluff, Missouri.

Dukefan4Life
04-02-2008, 11:29 PM
i have just seen a video of him. I think he would be a great fit for us! he brings a presence inside, he blocks shots well and plays with power! i think we should go all out to sign this kid! :D :D

dukefan47
04-06-2008, 01:23 PM
has anybody read this article about favors? i dont have a subscription so can anyone tell me what it says

here it is:
http://www.duke.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=&script=content.asp&cid=793770&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

JasonEvans
04-06-2008, 01:39 PM
The Floorslapper 9000-- http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41245000/jpg/_41245228_basketball_416.jpg

--Jason "a team of Battier clones would beat a team of Laettner clones" Evans

Huh?
04-06-2008, 02:55 PM
The article talks about how Duke has turned up their recruiting on Favors. He likes the Duke-UNC rivaly, "with the fans and Dick Vitale and all that stuff."
He mentioned playing in Cameron for the Bob Gibbons classic and how small it was, but he really liked it, he could feel the history when he walked in. He states that his decision will come down to mainly location and players that are at his position at each school. Sounds like we might have a chance, but recruiting guru's seem to think it would be a miracle if he left Georgia.

Duke79UNLV77
04-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Living in the heart of SEC country, I can say that basketball would still be an afterthought at Georgia even if they were to win a national championship. People would more closely follow how the 3rd string tight end does in spring practice than how the Bulldogs do in the Final 4. Also, while I'm sure the local community would like Favors to stay home, there won't be the same degree of pressure as there would be in football. I thought the same thing when we were competing against UT for Elliott Williams. If Favors attends 1 game at Georgia and 1 at Cameron, that has to be a HUGE edge for us. (By the same token, I don't see how we can compete with SEC teams in football recruiting unless playing time is an issue. Playing time will not be an issue for Favors.)

Granted, he may just decide to stay in-state and go to Georgia or Tech, but it's not like Duke is that far away. The good news is we are not competing against schools that compare well with us in terms of tradition or media exposure.

Huh?
04-07-2008, 08:58 AM
It sounds like he really doesn't know right now and didn't really care. One article I read he said he "didn't remember" if UNC had contacted him and that an "assistant coach from Duke, I can't pronounce his name," had been in touch with him.
All I know is that we need this guy, his numbers are sick and that area is loaded with talent, so he's not playing scrubs every night.

JasonEvans
04-07-2008, 02:39 PM
One article I read he said he "didn't remember" if UNC had contacted him and that an "assistant coach from Duke, I can't pronounce his name," had been in touch with him.

I am sure the assistant coach was Collins. I always have trouble pronouncing that name. Col-lins. Col-lins. I always say Cawl-lings or Coh-li-nis. It is a real problem.

--Jason "I mean, who else could it be?" Evans

devildeac
04-07-2008, 02:42 PM
I am sure the assistant coach was Collins. I always have trouble pronouncing that name. Col-lins. Col-lins. I always say Cawl-lings or Coh-li-nis. It is a real problem.

--Jason "I mean, who else could it be?" Evans

Dawkins? Daw-kins? Dawk-ins? Must be him.:D

SilkyJ
04-07-2008, 03:05 PM

As much as it pains me this time of year to say this, I agree. The way our program is run gives me a great deal of pride.

Blueequalslife23
04-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Any updates on Derrick Favors? Or where our 4th and 5th offer might go to?

Cameron
04-10-2008, 07:48 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41245000/jpg/_41245228_basketball_416.jpg

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahah............

...............hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha hahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaah

Well done, Jason. Well done.