PDA

View Full Version : Some news re: Alleva

Mike Corey
03-31-2008, 07:03 PM
Joe Alleva is one of six finalists for the athletic director's position at Louisiana State.

Will have a statement from Alleva for you all soon.

And no, this is not an April Fool's joke.

The other finalists are as follows: Former Florida State Athletic Director Dave Hart, Jr.; LSU senior associate athletic director Verge Ausberry; Florida Atlantic Athletic Director Craig Angelo; Deputy athletic director Rob Mullens of Kentucky; LSU senior associate athletic director Herb Vincent.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-31-2008, 07:31 PM
Joe Alleva is one of six finalists for the athletic director's position at Louisiana State.

Gee, Mike, you're getting all our hopes up. Better not be an April Fool's joke. And you made me go and change my signature again!

Kewlswim
03-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Hi,

I just think he has no reason to want to leave. He won't be treated as well there as he is here. Even a few more shekels probably does not justify it. I would be shocked if he went to LSU.

GO DUKE!

Ignatius07
03-31-2008, 08:22 PM
A "few more" shekels? Gotta think LSU is way more willing to throw money around at an AD than Duke is.

Duvall
03-31-2008, 08:23 PM

The other finalists are as follows: Former Florida State Athletic Director Dave Hart, Jr.; LSU senior associate athletic director Verge Ausberry; Florida Atlantic Athletic Director Craig Angelo; Deputy athletic director Rob Mullens of Kentucky; LSU senior associate athletic director Herb Vincent.

Sounds like they want to go with one of the inside candidates, but want to go through the motions of a national search.

godukecom
03-31-2008, 08:34 PM
What the hell is LSU smoking?

diablesseblu
04-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Agree with Duvall. This seems like an effort to "construct" a search process....one where you have a preordained choice.

Am surprised though that LSU is so public about their finalists though given that they have two internal candidates. Could be touchy for athletic department's day-to-day functioning. Maybe this is a requirement since it's a public university?

Sure wish I could believe that Alleva has a serious shot at this.

blublood
04-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Why in the world would LSU, a perennial football powerhouse (arguably the best team in the SEC) want an athletic director who directed one of the worst football programs in the nation? I know we've discussed ad nauseum whether the football team's woes are really Alleva's fault, but really... can you see LSU fans/alumni going for this? No way. They've already got their guy.

throatybeard
04-01-2008, 01:35 PM
A "few more" shekels? Gotta think LSU is way more willing to throw money around at an AD than Duke is.

I think LSU pays in Louis, not in Shekels.

Zeke
04-01-2008, 08:01 PM
The Coach Cut hire may go a way to wards his hire - but not enough. All the SEC teams need someone to "cover" for their athletes and not throw them under the bus - as per the LAX affair. He won't get hired.

DukeFencer
04-01-2008, 10:32 PM
http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2661858/

He's interviewing Wednesday for the position. A friend of mine saw him at RDU today on his way. I'm crossing my fingers.

OldPhiKap
04-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Look, I was as hard on Aleva as anyone. But the Cutcliffe hire was strong and he hasn't screwed up the hoops programs. The only real negative -- the lacrosse fiasco -- was botched from the Allen Building on down.

I'm not a huge Aleva fan, but by the same token I'm over wanting him gone gone gone.

77devil
04-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Look, I was as hard on Aleva as anyone. But the Cutcliffe hire was strong and he hasn't screwed up the hoops programs. The only real negative -- the lacrosse fiasco -- was botched from the Allen Building on down.

I'm not a huge Aleva fan, but by the same token I'm over wanting him gone gone gone.

If some institution is willing to take him off our hands, it presents the opportunity for a big upgrade if Duke is willing to seriously look outside its own house(a couple of big ifs).

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-01-2008, 11:59 PM
If you're interested in learning more about the applicants, who's being interviewed, what their resumes look like, try this link: http://www.lsu.edu/pa/mediacenter/nr/2008/AD_search/applicants.shtml

Duvall
04-02-2008, 12:26 AM
If you're interested in learning more about the applicants, who's being interviewed, what their resumes look like, try this link: http://www.lsu.edu/pa/mediacenter/nr/2008/AD_search/applicants.shtml

Dave Hart's resume seems to be incomplete - I don't see "Ruined Atlantic Coast Conference" on there anywhere.

BCGroup
04-02-2008, 08:41 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=duke_s_alleva_makes_the_cut_at_lsu&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

"I spoke with New Orleans Times-Picayune staff writer Jim Kleinpeter, who attended the interviews which were open to the public. He said Alleva answered a number of pointed questions about how he handled the Duke lacrosse situation."

arnie
04-02-2008, 08:53 PM
I think this is a ploy to hire Alleva as AD so they can hire Wojo as their new head bball coach.

miramar
04-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Since Alleva was also a candidate for the AD job at the University of Miami, I wonder if this is part of a concerted effort to find another position.

weezie
04-02-2008, 09:06 PM
This is great! "Husband of weezie," a Duke grad but an lsu childhood indoctrinee
(he can't help it, grew up in Shrevepatch) is delighted that the tigers might have to suffer for their Les Miles offensive call playing shortcomings by hiring Mr Speedboat Pilot as their AD. Where can hubby send money to the HIRE ALLEVA fund?
Hubby would also like to know if weezie can be hired for the Duke AD position soon?

Sweeeet!

DangerDevil
04-02-2008, 09:08 PM
According to LSU recruiting website Dandy Don:
http://dandydon.com/

"In other LSU news, the athletic director search committee is expected to present one or two names to the LSU Board of Supervisors and a new AD will probably be named Friday. According to what I am hearing, LSU associate AD Verge Ausberry and former FSU athletic director David Hart are the front runners. I do not know anything about Hart. I have known and have been friends with Ausberry for many years and I believe he would be a great hire. I am also hearing that Joe Alleva from Duke is a very impressive candidate. "

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Four finalists have been recommended today to the acting chancellor at LSU. Joe Alleva is one of them. Two of the finalists are currently part of the AD's office. The fourth is Rob Mullens currently employed at the University of Kentucky.

Link to today's news release http://appl003.lsu.edu/unv002.nsf/9faf000d8eb58d4986256abe00720a51/4c08b39391c5bf5d8625741f007c925c?OpenDocument

duketaylor
04-02-2008, 10:55 PM
I will update my resume either tomorrow or Friday, seriously. This would be a wonderful opportunity for someone to go "outside the box" and hire businessmen who love and know sports, yet know how to run a business and both deal with employees and customers. I'm pumped!! LSU, please hire Joe!!

norduck
04-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I will update my resume either tomorrow or Friday, seriously. This would be a wonderful opportunity for someone to go "outside the box" and hire businessmen who love and know sports, yet know how to run a business and both deal with employees and customers. I'm pumped!! LSU, please hire Joe!!

POY!

devildeac
04-02-2008, 11:15 PM

Don't believe any of this nonsense. Duketaylor is perfectly happy coaching youth sports up in Virginia, working there, eating 'cue that OZZIE and I deliver on occasion and playing golf almost year 'round. Right, Chuck? Chuck, are you there? Seriously, how ya been, fella?

diablesseblu
04-02-2008, 11:41 PM
OK...so maybe there's a modicum of hope. I've been on my knees 3x a day praying in the direction of Baton Rogue.

Maybe LSU wants to compete in the Directors' Cup...(like they know what that really requires.)

Go for it Joe!!! 8-)

OZZIE4DUKE
04-02-2008, 11:59 PM

Yes, I am definitely in gear for "The Tandem" to run Duke sports.

And for those of you who missed on Questions 18a and b on Jumbo's quiz, I am the answer and yes, I was, and am, very serious about wanting the position of Athletic Director of Duke University.

Weezie, we'll be happy to consider you for a position within our administration!

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-03-2008, 12:22 AM
OK...so maybe there's a modicum of hope. I've been on my knees 3x a day praying in the direction of Baton Rogue.

Maybe LSU wants to compete in the Directors' Cup...(like they know what that really requires.)

Go for it Joe!!! 8-)

Six applicants were interviewed in public interviews. Joe is one of four finalists. Two of the finalists are high level members of the AD's staff and have long standing ties to LSU. The fourth finalist is employed at Kentucky. LSU is so attuned to folk from Louisiana that I'm a little surprised to see Joe's name on this list, but I'm hopeful!

When you get the job, Ozzie, I'd like to join the staff, too, maybe a chief of protocol. There are some issues related to traditions which need to be addressed. I'm expecting Coach Cutcliffe to see that we get our Victory Bell back. That bell should be rung at all our football games and basketball games, not hidden away until the next time we play Carolina in football. I'm already well acquainted with our band director. I can help Joe download the LSU fight song for his ring tone.

77devil
04-03-2008, 12:32 AM
I This would be a wonderful opportunity for someone to go "outside the box" and hire businessmen who love and know sports, yet know how to run a business and both deal with employees and customers.

This is not unprecedented and very worthy of consideration. A former corporate finance colleague of mine had an oustanding 15 year run as the Princeton AD.

Go for it.

Bluedawg
04-03-2008, 10:07 AM
....and I know I'm a minority, but I'd like to see him stay.

He brought In a good replacement for Coach G and I don't blame him for her leaving...I take her at her word on that. He brought in outstanding football, lacrosse and baseball coaches He has built a basketball training facility that is second to none and he is pushing for upgrades in Wallace Wade and football training facilities that will bring Duke into the 21st century. Plus he has developed a strategic plan for athletics that is solid.

No knows knows what went on behind closed doors during lacrosse and to speculate is wrong. Athletics at Duke is strong and Alleva's part in that can't be downplayed.

Bluedawg
04-03-2008, 10:13 AM
According to LSU recruiting website Dandy Don:
http://dandydon.com/

"In other LSU news, the athletic director search committee is expected to present one or two names to the LSU Board of Supervisors and a new AD will probably be named Friday. According to what I am hearing, LSU associate AD Verge Ausberry and former FSU athletic director David Hart are the front runners. I do not know anything about Hart. I have known and have been friends with Ausberry for many years and I believe he would be a great hire. I am also hearing that Joe Alleva from Duke is a very impressive candidate. "

Dandy Don also said:

My sources suggest that either Alleva or Ausberry will get the job.

blublood
04-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Since Alleva was also a candidate for the AD job at the University of Miami, I wonder if this is part of a concerted effort to find another position.

You have to wonder about that, don't you? I mean, nobody is going to fault him for looking for a better job, but if he continues to put his name in the mix for these other positions, it would seem clear that he intends to leave Duke sooner or later.

killerleft
04-03-2008, 10:53 AM
....and I know I'm a minority, but I'd like to see him stay.

He brought In a good replacement for Coach G and I don't blame him for her leaving...I take her at her word on that. He brought in outstanding football, lacrosse and baseball coaches He has built a basketball training facility that is second to none and he is pushing for upgrades in Wallace Wade and football training facilities that will bring Duke into the 21st century. Plus he has developed a strategic plan for athletics that is solid.

No knows knows what went on behind closed doors during lacrosse and to speculate is wrong. Athletics at Duke is strong and Alleva's part in that can't be downplayed.

Bluedawg's post has some merit, to be sure. Take away lacrosse (did Joe take the heat for flip-flopping higher-ups who reneged on earlier assurances to him?) and the personal gaffes, and his performance has been, at least, solid. Nobody is perfect. And unless Ozzie gets the job, how do we know the next AD is going to be a step up:) ?

OZZIE4DUKE
04-03-2008, 01:15 PM
And unless Ozzie gets the job, how do we know the next AD is going to be a step up:) ?

Thank you for your support. How many comp tickets did you need for next year's carolina game in Cameron?:D

arnie
04-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Bluedawg's post has some merit, to be sure. Take away lacrosse (did Joe take the heat for flip-flopping higher-ups who reneged on earlier assurances to him?) and the personal gaffes, and his performance has been, at least, solid. Nobody is perfect. And unless Ozzie gets the job, how do we know the next AD is going to be a step up:) ?

Except that football has always been very important to me - I may be in the minority on this board, but when I consider how he hired the last 2 football coaches and their results, his performance has been unsatisfactory. I also think we should wait a few years to see how women's basketball turns out before we call that a great hire.

killerleft
04-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Thank you for your support. How many comp tickets did you need for next year's carolina game in Cameron?:D

Just four, even the birds-nest corner will do, AD Oz! And if he's around, I would love to meet Patrick Davidson.

TillyGalore
04-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Yes, I am definitely in gear for "The Tandem" to run Duke sports.

And for those of you who missed on Questions 18a and b on Jumbo's quiz, I am the answer and yes, I was, and am, very serious about wanting the position of Athletic Director of Duke University.

Weezie, we'll be happy to consider you for a position within our administration!

I'll throw my resume in with AD Ozzie and DukeTaylor for a position in the new administration. :D

grc5
04-03-2008, 03:42 PM

Take away the Iraq War, and George W. Bush was a pretty solid president. Telling us to ignore lacrosse and JA's personal gaffs is a pretty tall task.

And have we forgotten all the nonsense that Alleva allowed to happen with the baseball team under Bill Hillier's guidance? That fiasco was a perfect example of Joe's look-the-other-way-attitude.

OZZIE4AD

devildeac
04-03-2008, 04:21 PM
I'll throw my resume in with AD Ozzie and DukeTaylor for a position in the new administration. :D

And I will pour the beer: Bud Light (cough, cough) for OZZIE and DT and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and other assorted fine hand-crafted ales for TG and me (and OhioGuy, and Lavabe, and SlimSlowSlider, and RockyMtDevil and...:D )

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-03-2008, 09:28 PM
While checking out information regarding LSU's search for an AD, I noticed that they also have a search underway for a chancellor. How about 2 for 1?

Lavabe
04-03-2008, 09:41 PM

Be aware that in the soccer thread, Killerleft claimed to have the knack for bringing down those teams he supported. My suggestion there was to have him support the Holes.;)

On the other hand, I have a proven record of 2-0 while attending games at Wally Wade. If you want good luck to pass to Coach Cut, you need to get me to attend the home games.;)

GO FOR IT!!

Please bring us back to Duke football's glory days: Red Means GO!!

Now how are we going to get Feinstein to support Ozzie?:eek:
Cheers,
Lavabe

devildeac
04-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Cheers,
Lavabe[/QUOTE]

Buy him a Bud Light?;)

killerleft
04-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Be aware that in the soccer thread, Killerleft claimed to have the knack for bringing down those teams he supported. My suggestion there was to have him support the Holes.;)

On the other hand, I have a proven record of 2-0 while attending games at Wally Wade. If you want good luck to pass to Coach Cut, you need to get me to attend the home games.;)

GO FOR IT!!

Please bring us back to Duke football's glory days: Red Means GO!!

Cheers,
Lavabe

2-0 at Wally Wade? Not only are you a statistical anomoly, but your suffering index is so much lower than mine (and Ozzie's, right Oz?) that, in a perfect world, I should receive an all-sports pass for 10 years before you are even considered to get my four tickets to Duke-unc! And hardly anybody can do sentences as long as mine!

I do admit to the Derby thing, though.

godukecom
04-03-2008, 11:43 PM
thats funny, I am 0-4 at wally wade, 0-5 at duke football games (went to the one at kenan this year- ugh)

I am a statistical normality;)

Jumbo
04-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Cheers,
Lavabe

Buy him a Bud Light?;)[/quote]

Something tells me it'll take more than one ... ;)

OZZIE4DUKE
04-04-2008, 08:42 AM
2-0 at Wally Wade? Not only are you a statistical anomoly, but your suffering index is so much lower than mine (and Ozzie's, right Oz?)

I have missed attending two games and the entire 1985 season (I worked on Saturdays that summer) since graduating in 1976. I think I missed one game as an undergrad.

ehdg
04-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Pretty Please LSU answer my and many of us here's prayers and take Joe Alleva away from us!! Hell some of us here would even chip in for the moving van and donate a $1 each towards his salary there!! Joe don't walk run to this offer for all of us!!

Trinity84
04-04-2008, 10:09 AM
The front page of DBR offers a link to a story about the LSU AD search. In that article it states that LSU has a self-sustaining athletic department budget of $70 million. How does that compare to our athletic department's budget?

Jarhead
04-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Sheesh. How many of you have been siting in the same seats for 37 years, ever since I returned from Viet Nam. It's been so long, in fact, that the field has slipped about 4 yards to the south in the intervening years. My seats are on the 46 yard line. They used to be on the 50 yard line. Looking forward to better Saturdays.

Bluedog
04-04-2008, 10:16 AM
The front page of DBR offers a link to a story about the LSU AD search. In that article it states that LSU has a self-sustaining athletic department budget of $70 million. How does that compare to our athletic department's budget?

According to the N&O: Duke has "a $50 million budget for 26 sports. LSU's athletics department includes 20 varsity sports and a budget of nearly $70 million."

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1022939.html

I'm sure the bulk for LSU's budget is for football.....

Bluedawg
04-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Weren't they supposed to make a decision today? Any idea when anybody?

blublood
04-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Still betting that it's going to turn out to be the internal LSU candidate, but I guess we'll know by the end of the day. There's been chatter for years that Mal Moore at Alabama is going to retire soon - think Joe would be up for that job? :)

sagegrouse
04-04-2008, 11:16 AM
According to the N&O: Duke has "a $50 million budget for 26 sports. LSU's athletics department includes 20 varsity sports and a budget of nearly $70 million."

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1022939.html

I'm sure the bulk for LSU's budget is for football.....

Although there is a difference in the respective numbers. LSU's athletics scholarships are certainly priced much lower than Duke's, esp. for the in-state students.

sagegrouse

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-04-2008, 11:32 AM
I think our athletic department's budget is around $50 million.

According to the same article on the front page of DBR, the LSU athletic department's debt service is around $250 million.

Alleva is the only one of the finalists with significant experience as an AD.

It's also possible that the candidate selected in this process may not even be one of those interviewed as a finalist...... shades of Huey Long!

killerleft
04-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Take away the Iraq War, and George W. Bush was a pretty solid president. Telling us to ignore lacrosse and JA's personal gaffs is a pretty tall task.

And have we forgotten all the nonsense that Alleva allowed to happen with the baseball team under Bill Hillier's guidance? That fiasco was a perfect example of Joe's look-the-other-way-attitude.

OZZIE4AD

I'm not a Joe fan. My only point is, be careful what you wish for. There are worse ADs out there, and one of them could be hired. Football and baseball are glaring negative examples, but overall, Duke sports are pretty strong.

dpslaw
04-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Apparently it's down to two:

http://wral.com/sports/story/2683006/

Duvall
04-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm not a Joe fan. My only point is, be careful what you wish for. There are worse ADs out there, and one of them could be hired.

Like who?

killerleft
04-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Like who?

Like anybody that can't keep us 22nd in the Sears Director's Cup standings regarding overall athletic prowess.

Bluedog
04-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Like anybody that can't keep us 22nd in the Sears Director's Cup standings regarding overall athletic prowess.

We're in 22nd this year? Is that normally where we've been going into the spring sports? Because we've finished 11th, 8th, and 5th, the past three years. Falling out of the top 20 this year would be disappointing. I guess we typically field strong LAX, FH, and golf teams. Baseball, softball, wrestling, track and field, etc. won't get us that many more points. I'm probably missing some other spring sports.

arnie
04-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Tennis has been a points winner for us in the past, but I think those teams are weaker this year. We need some news on this, I'd like to bury my handle today.

msdukie
04-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I think it would be fair to state that Duke's Director's Cup standing are generally kept high mainly as a result of Tom Butters' coaching hires (and a field hockey coaching search that JA was rumored to not be a part of).

gvtucker
04-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I think it would be fair to state that Duke's Director's Cup standing are generally kept high mainly as a result of Tom Butters' coaching hires (and a field hockey coaching search that JA was rumored to not be a part of).

I don't think that's fair at all. First, discounting a successful hire just because of a rumor seems a bit unfair.

But on top of that, there have been plenty of hires by Alleva that have been very successful. In women's sports, Robbie Church has taken the women's soccer team to a new successful level. And our volleyball team is a top 20 fixture thanks to an Alleva hire.

On the men's side, we can debate about lacrosse forever, but one thing that probably is not debatable is that Duke was able to hire a VERY good coach (Danowski) at a very difficult time for that program. Men's golf was able to hire a big time coach from a big time program. Even with the failures of baseball and football firmly in mind, it is undeniable that our baseball program is now probably in better shape than it ever was under Butters. And although the school is out right now on football, we were able to get a coach that is well thought of in football circles.

So yeah, I think you're being a bit unfair.

killerleft
04-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't think that's fair at all. First, discounting a successful hire just because of a rumor seems a bit unfair.

But on top of that, there have been plenty of hires by Alleva that have been very successful. In women's sports, Robbie Church has taken the women's soccer team to a new successful level. And our volleyball team is a top 20 fixture thanks to an Alleva hire.

On the men's side, we can debate about lacrosse forever, but one thing that probably is not debatable is that Duke was able to hire a VERY good coach (Danowski) at a very difficult time for that program. Men's golf was able to hire a big time coach from a big time program. Even with the failures of baseball and football firmly in mind, it is undeniable that our baseball program is now probably in better shape than it ever was under Butters. And although the school is out right now on football, we were able to get a coach that is well thought of in football circles.

So yeah, I think you're being a bit unfair.

I have to agree with that wholeheartedly. There are certainly negative issues with Alleva, but there is no guarantee that a new hire can do as well. It's not like we have a bad athletics program. While I think Duke could do better, it is not a given. Who knows, we could end up with an equivalent of Franks or Roof. Fine men, but not necessarily great head coaches.

Duvall
04-04-2008, 05:08 PM
I have to agree with that wholeheartedly. There are certainly negative issues with Alleva, but there is no guarantee that a new hire can do as well. It's not like we have a bad athletics program. While I think Duke could do better, it is not a given.

Nothing is guaranteed, but I am prepared to take that chance. Alleva's record suggests to me that he is a below-average athletic director, so even an average hire would be an improvement.

Who knows, we could end up with an equivalent of Franks or Roof. Fine men, but not necessarily great head coaches.

Fortunately for Duke, if Alleva leaves, he won't be responsible for hiring his replacement.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Let's not forget that LSU is beginning a national search for a chancellor now. We should stage a write in campaign recommending Dr. Richard Brodhead. He and Mr. Alleva work well as a team.

Geaux tigers!

grossbus
04-04-2008, 08:53 PM
" but one thing that probably is not debatable is that Duke was able to hire a VERY good coach (Danowski) at a very difficult time for that program"

probably had more to do with the fact his son was on the team than with anything alleva did.