PDA

View Full Version : I'm torn over UNC...maybe

Bluedawg
03-30-2008, 11:29 PM
First I never want them to win anything....ever.

However, if they win the NC at least a third of their team will leave starting with psycho T:

For Hansbrough, a junior and the ACC player of the year, the trip to San Antonio will be his first Final Four and possibly his last. He's hinted that should this team win a national championship, he might leave a year early for the NBA.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1018488.html

Should I pull for them so that their team will be depleated...or will the though of them winning another NC be way to nauseating?

I think its the latter....Go KU!

godukecom
03-30-2008, 11:39 PM
sigh... as much as it pains me to admit it, going for one team vs another usually has little outcome on the game...

so i say, never stoop so low as to go for UNC! what will happen will happen, so you might as well enjoy it by having a huge grin on your face (should the good team prevail) if you are among the cursed breed of pansy-blue fans

There is only one player i truly cannot stand on UNC and would love for him to leave; no chance of it happening though.
his name is Danny Green

his Paulus comments sealed his fate in my book ;)

DevilDad
03-30-2008, 11:47 PM
I totally agree about Danny Green's comments ref. Paulus. (My son had a couple of classes with Greg, and says he is a great guy.) But be careful I was scolded for my "insensitive" remarks concerning Mr. Green;)

Coballs
03-31-2008, 12:33 AM
First I never want them to win anything....ever.

However, if they win the NC at least a third of their team will leave starting with psycho T:

Should I pull for them so that their team will be depleated...or will the though of them winning another NC be way to nauseating?

I think its the latter....Go KU!

Never pull for UNC! Few players ultimately stick around just because they lost a late tournament game.

The Slamming Butcher
03-31-2008, 01:02 AM
I wouln't care if their losing meant they were going to bring back an all-star alumni team...I would NEVER, EVER pull for them at any time for any reason.

GTHC

zingit
03-31-2008, 02:16 AM
his name is Danny Green

his Paulus comments sealed his fate in my book ;)

I totally agree. And did anyone see the WVU players' post-game comments? The Chronicle quoted one of them as saying something like, "Wow, seriously?" in response to someone noting that Paulus was a McDonald's All-American. How classless. I don't care what he thinks of Paulus, but no way should he be dissing him in a press conference like that.

I wonder if Hansbrough would still leave early even if they don't win the title. I would not be surprised if he came back next year; he seems pretty hungry for a title.

Anyhow, I guess you can think of it as a win-win situation: either UNC loses or a bunch of UNC players leave. (Or a lose-lose situation: either UNC wins or their players stick around.) Now, what's really depressing is that we were all thinking this in 2005 too, and then they won and a bunch of their guys left . . . and then they still beat us in Cameron the next year! Sigh.

brevity
03-31-2008, 02:25 AM
The following is a personal opinion and pure guesswork.

Tyler Hansbrough is a 6'9" forward that's been made to play center in college. He has developed a serviceable jumper outside of the paint, but I hesitate to say that he currently has the skills that will translate to a high NBA draft pick. No matter what happens next weekend, I think he could declare and not sign with an agent, and then return for his senior year, where Ol' Roy can stick Zeller in for a few minutes and see how Hansbrough plays closer to his ideal position. That seems logical.

Of course, he could just as easily decide that he's probably going to be a mid to late first-rounder in the 2008 or 2009 draft, and leave early. Either way, I don't think how his team does is going to make a difference. This is not a Sean May situation, where late performance improved draft stock.

So, to sum up, if you are generally disinclined to root for Carolina, don't waffle just because you think they might be worse next year if they win now. Who knows what'll happen then?

eddiehaskell
03-31-2008, 05:38 AM
I'd rather see them lose. Isn't there a good chance that Lawson will go pro - win or lose? I've seen some of the mock drafts listing him as a top 20 pick. If Lawson leaves, that would certainly hurt their chances of winning it next year. Thus, Lawson's decision could influence Hanbrough a little.

If Hansbrough wants to go pro, it seems like this is the best time. He will soon be 23 years old and he's the national player of the year. If he waits until next year, what else can he accomplish other than possibly winning a NCAA title (if they lose this year)? He may average 3-4 more points, but it would also make him a 24 year old NBA rookie. It seems to me his stock can only go down by coming back (injury/older/possible down year).

devildownunder
03-31-2008, 06:05 AM
There is never, EVER, any reason to cheer for those people.

weezie
03-31-2008, 07:31 AM
Either we put up with Tbangs for another year or listen to warbling about a national title....hhhmmmm. I have to go with putting up with Frankenstein's monster. I will never cheer for the holes.

jgflava
03-31-2008, 08:29 AM
If Carolina wins the National Championship, Hansbrough definitely should leave. There would be nothing left for him to accomplish at the college level and he should leave while his stock is high. It kind of reminds me how Sean May's NBA stock dramatically increased during the 2005 tournament...before the tournament he was pretty much a lock to stay, but being the best player in the tournament made him a lottery pick.

I think there is a possibility Hansbrough would stay if he doesn't win a championship this year. It seems like he really wants to win one, so if everyone returns next year they would have to be the favorite to win it. Plus, by staying his senior year, he would likely become the first player to ever be a 4 time first team all american and he would break nearly every individual UNC record.

freedevil
03-31-2008, 09:52 AM
People, never root for UNC. Ever.

SupaDave
03-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Word on the street is that Hansborough renewed his lease. To be honest, he's always said he loves college and we speculate on it probably 100 times more than he does.

In terms of dollars and cents - a win for UNC is a win for the ACC. Especially in a year where, as stated above, lots have taken their shots.

I say let them take their shots - it's all bulletin board material for later. I sense a nasty streak building in this Duke team like no other.

FerryFor50
03-31-2008, 10:03 AM
I want UNC to lose, and all those kids to come back... so they can lose again. :D

CMS2478
03-31-2008, 10:20 AM
I will worry about next year when it gets here, as for now Kansas is my new favorite team (for the time being). :D

elvis14
03-31-2008, 10:44 AM
I want UNC to lose, and all those kids to come back... so they can lose again. :D

POTD!

I can't stand Hansblahblah. He's an effective college player who is going to get dominated at the next level. I think he'll stay for this senior year win or lose...he's not going to be in a hurry to step up and get dominated. He'll get paid by the NBA eventually and although his first contract is really important he can wait. He's a role player at best in the NBA and the NBA scouts should know this as well as we do.

UNC winning the national championship is just not something you ever want to happen again. Not being competitive in the tournament for 2 straight years is making this even harder to deal with. Not to mention all the crap I'm catching from A-holes wearing that ugly light blue color! I'm gettin' pissed off just typing this!

Bluedawg
03-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Of course, he could just as easily decide that he's probably going to be a mid to late first-rounder in the 2008 or 2009 draft, and leave early. Either way, I don't think how his team does is going to make a difference. This is not a Sean May situation, where late performance improved draft stock.

DraftExpress Mock (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2008/) draft:
24 Spurs Tyler Hansbrough

INSIDEHOOPS.COM (http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-mock-draft.shtml):
13) Sacramento Kings: Tyler Hansbrough

Collegehoops.net (http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/Draft/mockdraft.htm):
20 Tyler Hansbrough which gives him to the Golden State Warriors

hoopshype.com (http://hoopshype.com/draft.htm) puts him
23 - Utah Jazz
and

nbadraft.net does not list him.

Highlander
03-31-2008, 11:10 AM
One issue with Hans is how teams will play him. I remember one of K's comments to Elton was that if he came back, he'd get doubled every time he touched the ball and rarely get a chance to work on his jump shot. I think much the same is true of Hans. If he's a 3 or 4 in the NBA, how is playing with his back to the basket for another year in college going to improve the skills he needs? And he's no spring chicken at 23 years old.

Secondly, his game on Saturday had to help his stock. He showed he is capable of completely taking over a game against quality competition, and that he can hit an outside jumper with consistency.

I told someone this weekend he'd be a lottery pick simply because the Bobcats won't let a UNC player go outside the lottery.

moonpie23
03-31-2008, 11:22 AM
if you think PT won't make a good pro, you just haven't been paying attention. His tenacity alone with his soft touch AFTER getting hacked hard will make him a desired addition to any team.

after he settles into the NBA style of playing, he is gonna be a beast.

and i've got some spit-up in my mouth complimenting him...

eddiehaskell
03-31-2008, 11:42 AM
I've read that Hansbrough is closer to 6'7 and he has short arms. If that's the case, he will be undersized as a power forward. Of course, playing the 3 spot is out of the question.

Can anyone see Hansbrough matching up well against guys like Garnett, Dirk, Brand, Bosh, Dwight Howard, Boozer, Paul Gasol, Jermaine O'Neal, etc?

Son of Mojo
03-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Under NO circumstances are they to ever be supported--they need to lose and lose hard. It'd be one thing if you'd halfway want them to beat someone in the tournament because we had a real fear of playing that team but even then you'd not actively pull for the holes......and you sure don't even let such a thought cross your mind when the national title is on the line.

uncwdevil
03-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Word on the street is that Hansborough renewed his lease. To be honest, he's always said he loves college and we speculate on it probably 100 times more than he does.

In terms of dollars and cents - a win for UNC is a win for the ACC. Especially in a year where, as stated above, lots have taken their shots.

I say let them take their shots - it's all bulletin board material for later. I sense a nasty streak building in this Duke team like no other.

I've heard this used as evidence that he is definitely staying a few other places and I have to say its pretty funny. Like somebody wouldn't break a lease to enter the NBA Draft.

Bostondevil
03-31-2008, 02:29 PM

Sweet! I'd take that. Would it be enough to make Psycho T cry? One can only hope.

By the way, I didn't realize their was another Hanborough out there until I saw this familiar vacant stare during the Mississippi State game. Psycho T has a younger, smaller, less good, but strangely smarter looking brother. Scary.

sundown
03-31-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm not.

TNDukeFan
03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
He travels on a regular basis.

If Zoubek just got H's non-traveling-calls that would add about four possessions a game.

SupaDave
03-31-2008, 04:10 PM
I've heard this used as evidence that he is definitely staying a few other places and I have to say its pretty funny. Like somebody wouldn't break a lease to enter the NBA Draft.

Oh he'd definitely break that lease! LOL! I know plenty of folks that would do that for a 'regular' job. But it also says a lot about his mindstate. One of those wait and see how everything goes type of situations...

moonpie23
03-31-2008, 04:32 PM
i'm pretty sure sean may and raymond felton re-upped their leases also...

TwoDukeTattoos
03-31-2008, 09:20 PM
According to NCAA record books, through the 2007, Duke is the winningest school during this decade. UNC doesn't even crack the top 20! And Duke is down? Gimme a break. True, we haven't been deep into tourney's in a while, but we're still winning a stunning number of games overall. The rest will come. It will come...

laettnerisadoll
03-31-2008, 11:05 PM
I was finally able to join this board because I hate hate hate hate the school that cannot be named. During my appointment today, my personal trainer was telling me to lean back while doing squats and I told her she couldn't say the word that started with H.

Kansas is currently the least offensive team for me, though I'm not sure why I hate Memphis.

majinemesis
04-01-2008, 01:07 AM
If UNC wins another title it'll be 4 since Coach K took over. We have 3.

Everyone understands this I hope.

How can you find(or look for) a reason to root for them?

Classof06
04-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Since the day we lost to WVU, I've prayed every night that UNC doesn't win the national title. How any Duke fan would even think of rooting for them, especially the way they've frankly outperformed us over the past 3 years is just mind boggling. Watching UNC cut down the nets would make me even sicker about this season...

devildeac
04-01-2008, 06:11 PM
I kinda answered this in another thread or perhaps here so I will expound. I disagree with gw67 about rooting for the acc schools, especially over the last few years. Since moving back to NC in the 80's, I did hope for the acc faithful to advance for the good of the conference overall. The last several years have significantly soured that with all the 'hating' that goes on privately and, more so, publicly. Expansion has not fostered my 'love' for our 'brethren' in the conference. What has modestly pi##ed me off is the general thuggery that goes on, especially vt in FB, but also in hoops with vt and, to some degree, um and bc. The limits are REALLY pushed here with the rough play and then daring the refs to call it and then whining about it when it is called with the usual "Duke gets all the calls." (cough, cough, greenberg is the worst offender but beamer is not too far behind on the gridiron). What really offends me is the regular profanity/and or sexual insults directed toward our fans, family and players. C'mon folks, chants like 'F*** you JJ, F&&& you Redick/Paulus are just too common. Shirts with F%%% Duke are included in that category, also. Obscenities directed at our players who are injured or appear to be at visiting arenas have also been discussed.

Cheer for our conference mates, no thanks. Heck, that is even coming from a fan whose DBR name is 'devildeac'(I have heard plenty of vitriol from Wake fans over the last few years, too, unfortunately). Cheer for Duke-always.

I guess that probably qualifies as a rant, which I rarely do on the board(you oughta see/hear me at home, or at work:o ). I'll end it there. Let's go Duke and let's go Kansas:D .