PDA

View Full Version : All Chalk

blazindw
03-30-2008, 07:22 PM
For the first time ever, all 4 #1 seeds make it to the Final Four. Whether we like some or all of these teams, it should be a great Final Four to watch. I just became the biggest KU fan in the world...GTHC!

Also, Memphis still has a chance to become the first team ever with 30+ regular season wins to win the title. They would have to get past UCLA and KU/UNC to do it.

mgtr
03-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Anything can happen, but I just don't see Memphis taking it all. But I would pay money to see Memphis-UNC. I am uncertain for whom I would cheer. Just as in the KU-Davidson game, I was torn. I wanted Davidson to win, but realize that KU has a much better chance to beat UNC.

freedevil
03-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Under no set of circumstances would I ever root for UNC.

After watching 8 of UCLA's last 9 or 10 games, I'm starting to think Memphis has a much better shot at taking out UNC, should Kansas fail to do so. I seriously doubt a defensive-minded team can stop UNC right now. Look at Louisville, they played great defense, I thought, but just turned the ball over too much and were reckless on offense at times.

The Slamming Butcher
03-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Under no set of circumstances would I ever root for UNC.

+1

GTHC.

godukecom
03-30-2008, 08:09 PM
What is this parity the talking heads speak about?

wisteria
03-30-2008, 08:12 PM
KU was not impressive in today's game. Not taking credit away from Davidson, but I was expecting a better performance.

That said, GO Kansas Go!!!

wisteria
03-30-2008, 08:13 PM

To be fair though, when we were talking about Duke losses, parity was also frequently mentioned.

HK Dukie
03-30-2008, 10:46 PM
I've heard everyone use the term "Chalk" this NCAA season but I don't recall it from before this season. Where did it come from?

2002grad
03-30-2008, 11:41 PM

Not only were these the 1 seeds going into the tournament, but both the AP Poll and the Coaches poll had these as the top 4 before a single game had been played. If only my brackets had been so accurate!

socaldukie
03-31-2008, 12:02 AM
Going in I had Kansas winning it all over UCLA. But, Kansas did not look very impressive today. Maybe that was due to Davidson's effort. And, as I've posted before I would love to see Hansbrough go against Love. I have a tough time seeing UCLA scoring enough to keep up with UNC. The scary thing now is the Holes look like they actually want to defend and offensively they are clicking on all cylinders. Memphis has looked much better than I gave them credit for. Perhaps, they would give UNC a tougher time. Should make for an interesting weekend.

Coballs
03-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Forget how Kansas looked today. They won. They played against a very tough Davidson team. In the tourney, it's win and advance. Few teams that win it all look dominant in all 6 games (except, of course, Duke '01 who won all games by double digits). I expect better performances out of Robinson, Collins, and Rush. If not, then I become a huge UCLA or Memphis fan for one Monday night.

Troublemaker
03-31-2008, 12:26 AM
I've heard everyone use the term "Chalk" this NCAA season but I don't recall it from before this season. Where did it come from?

Chalk has been around for awhile. It's an old gambling term, dating back to when bookies used to use chalkboards to post odds. Since odds are changed to reflect betting volume, the odds for the most heavily-bet horses/teams, i.e. the favorites, were continually erased and re-written on the chalkboard as bets came in. Thus, favorites = chalk.

pfrduke
03-31-2008, 12:47 AM
Forget how Kansas looked today. They won. They played against a very tough Davidson team. In the tourney, it's win and advance. Few teams that win it all look dominant in all 6 games (except, of course, Duke '01 who won all games by double digits). I expect better performances out of Robinson, Collins, and Rush. If not, then I become a huge UCLA or Memphis fan for one Monday night.

and even that Duke team certainly didn't look dominant in all 6 games. after all, they were down 39-17 to Maryland in the Final Four.

Coballs
03-31-2008, 12:48 AM
and even that Duke team certainly didn't look dominant in all 6 games. after all, they were down 39-17 to Maryland in the Final Four.

Good point. But they did play one heck of a second half.

pfrduke
03-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Good point. But they did play one heck of a second half.

amen to that. I drove with 3 friends from Durham to Minneapolis for the final 4. We left Friday at noon, drove overnight, got to Minnesota about 7am completely exhausted. We basically sleepwalked through the early game (MSU-Arizona) eagerly anticipating Duke. And then the first half started, and we suddenly ended up down 22, and we were staring another 20 hour drive in the face, and felt just about as low as could be. The rest, of course, is history - the high was all the higher after that =)