PDA

View Full Version : She is truly a star

Bluedawg
03-30-2008, 06:09 PM
People have talked about Abby's lack of shooting, down 4 appg from last year, but her desire to put team first and foremost not only makes her a star, but makes her a tremendous asset to the team.

"This team, whatever they need out of me, that's what I'm willing to give," Waner said. "If that's more of a point guard role, getting people the ball where they're going to be successful, then I'm more than willing to do that.

"That's not taking away from the fact that it would be nice to start hitting some shots."

Abby took the lead in working with administration in selecting a coach, moving into the leadership role that is so strongly needed on a championship team:

"Once Coach G left, we were kind of thrown to the wind," Waner said. "We didn't have an authoritative figure. I just wanted that to make sure that our team knew it's not about -- it's not ultimately about -- who's on the sidelines. It's about us. We're Duke."

And her no excuse attitude moves her well about most athletes in today's era

"I'm never going to going to use a new system or a new coaching staff as an excuse for my shooting," Waner said. "It comes down to me, and I'm perfectly comfortable with my shot, so I think it just comes down to my head, making sure I'm in the right place when I get the ball and I'm in the game. I'm not going to use anything as an excuse."

Being a star is more than just playing ability, its attitude...and Abby Waner does more than score for Duke (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1018368.html)!

Salag
03-30-2008, 11:22 PM
What's not to love about college basketball? Players like this make men's and women's NCAA ball (at all levels) a joy to watch.

Bluedawg
03-30-2008, 11:52 PM
What's not to love about college basketball? Players like this make men's and women's NCAA ball (at all levels) a joy to watch.

At the beginning of the year I said that those who refuse to watch WBB missed the opportunity to watch Lindsey Harding play and they should not miss the opportunity to watch Abby play.

Duke's Women have a number of players who are just fun to watch and from what I hear Shelby fits that mold also. People should start making plans to go see them play next year.

zingit
03-31-2008, 02:20 AM
Chante Black especially was a joy to watch this year too. I think we're in good shape for next year!