PDA

View Full Version : Davidson-KU

davekay1971
03-30-2008, 05:47 PM
23-23 with 4:45 left in the 1st half. Not what I expected at all in terms of scoring and pace, but totally cool to see Davidson and Curry going toe to toe with the Jayhawks. My anti-Carolina side almost wants KU to win just because I think they'll have a better chance against the Tarholes (and I want a week's worth of the unintentional comedy of Roy Williams trying to act emotionally torn by playing his old school). But I just have to pull for Davidson and Curry. Go 'Cats!

(and if little Davidson took down mighty Carolina in the final four...ooh that would be too cool)

weezie
03-30-2008, 06:18 PM
The interview with TBangs during halftime made me sleepy. I think he hypnotizes people with his uninflected voice.

mk76
03-30-2008, 06:27 PM
How on earth did we beat these guys?:confused:

moonpie23
03-30-2008, 06:40 PM
kansas knows they are in a fight....

RelativeWays
03-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Blast! Davidson is ruining my plans. You guys do realize that UNC will not be phased by Davidson at all. If Wildcats win, UNC will win the NC this year. Sad but true.

mk76
03-30-2008, 06:50 PM
fazed...

davekay1971
03-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Blast! Davidson is ruining my plans. You guys do realize that UNC will not be phased by Davidson at all. If Wildcats win, UNC will win the NC this year. Sad but true.

I agree that UNC has a better shot getting past Davidson than KU, and this NCAA tourney will be okay with me as long as the Holes lose...but I just can't not root for Davidson.

davekay1971
03-30-2008, 06:55 PM
And how awesome would it be if Davidson actually beat Carolina? :D

dukebdx12
03-30-2008, 07:13 PM
is curry's shooting ability unreal or what? He has the quickest shot I have ever seen.

Karl Beem
03-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Wow!

dukebdx12
03-30-2008, 07:17 PM
surprised they only set 1 screen for curry which has not worked all night with the screen defender always showing. Figured richards would bring it down with curry going crazy through screens for the ball.

blazindw
03-30-2008, 07:18 PM
A great finish. Great defense by KU on that last play to force Curry to give up the ball. Sad for Davidson, they had a great run through the tourney and deserve all the credit in the world. Congrats to Kansas.

sandinmyshoes
03-30-2008, 07:19 PM
What a heartbreaker for the Wildcats. :(

Kansas will probably be much looser next week when they face UNC, and they have the players to win it.

Four #1 seed teams in the Final Four for the first time ever. Whoever wins it is going to have to earn it.

freedevil
03-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Davidson represented themselves well. A fantastic season for them.

Kansas, sheesh - they need to do some serious work on the offensive end to have any chance against UNC.

moonpie23
03-30-2008, 07:21 PM
wow....you think bill self wanted to puke?

awesome game...

mgtr
03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Davidson has to be sad that they didn't win it, but delighted with their overall tournament performance. Moral victories aren't very satisfying, but Davidson has to be proud, proud, proud of their team.

Troublemaker
03-30-2008, 07:26 PM
KU did a really nice job on Curry. He finished 9-25 overall, 4-16 from three. Chris Lofton had his career ended with a similar performance; same with Drew Neitzel. Not that Curry's career is over, and he's actually a much better player than the other two, but it's just not that hard to crack down on a great shooter if you have athletes.

Still, a GREAT season for Davidson. I really appreciate them entertaining me so much over the past couple of weeks.

Troublemaker
03-30-2008, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't judge Kansas too much on this performance since it was their "getting over the hump" game, and there was tons of pressure on the KU players to deliver for Self his first Final Four. Think about how ragged Duke looked against Kansas in '91 when going for Coach K's first championship (as the NC was Duke's "hump" at the time). Or, for a more direct comparison, think about 1999 and how ragged UConn looked in the regional final against a similar midmajor in Gonzaga when going for Calhoun's first Final Four. I think Khalid El-Amin was something like 0 for 12 that game.

Hopefully the pressure is off now for Kansas and they bring their best game of the season against UNC. Certainly, the media talk over the next week or so will be crowning UNC and not giving Kansas a chance, especially after this close call against Davidson. If you're an ABCer, the intangibles couldn't have set up much better than this.

Saratoga2
03-30-2008, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't judge Kansas too much on this performance since it was their "getting over the hump" game, and there was tons of pressure on the KU players to deliver for Self his first Final Four. Think about how ragged Duke looked against Kansas in '91 when going for Coach K's first championship (as the NC was Duke's "hump" at the time). Or, for a more direct comparison, think about 1999 and how ragged UConn looked in the regional final against a similar midmajor in Gonzaga when going for Calhoun's first Final Four. I think Khalid El-Amin was something like 0 for 12 that game.

Hopefully the pressure is off now for Kansas and they bring their best game of the season against UNC. Certainly, the media talk over the next week or so will be crowning UNC and not giving Kansas a chance, especially after this close call against Davidson. If you're an ABCer, the intangibles couldn't have set up much better than this.

Davidson is a high energy team that played that way for 40 minutes. They have a great shooter and another that is very good. They box out well and contest everything. They also send the team after the rebound.

Kansas had a weakness and it showed up today. They turn the ball over a lot when under pressure. Maybe it is due to the speed at which they play, but they were up between 15 and 20 turnovers and Davidson didn't do that. Of the two teams, I thought Davidson had the better coaching.

KU has a load of talent so the next games will be the best the NCAAs can offer.

billybreen
03-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Very surprised Curry passed up that final shot given the way he's been playing. They could definitely have worked to get him a better look.

Still, a good finish, and I'm much more hopeful about KU's prospects against UNC.

mgtr
03-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Troublemaker-
I agree completely, and have become a sudden KU convert. I believe they have the only team in the tournament with the horses to beat UNC. Go KU.

MChambers
03-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Troublemaker-
I agree completely, and have become a sudden KU convert. I believe they have the only team in the tournament with the horses to beat UNC. Go KU.
You don't think UCLA can play with Kerlina? Kevin Love will be a very tough matchup for UNC. And Collison will be a very tough matchup for Lawson.
If UNC wins this title, they will have earned it.

mk76
03-30-2008, 08:26 PM
is curry's shooting ability unreal or what? He has the quickest shot I have ever seen.
Insane...like JJ in his early years

mk76
03-30-2008, 08:27 PM
You don't think UCLA can play with Kerlina? Kevin Love will be a very tough matchup for UNC. And Collison will be a very tough matchup for Lawson.
Memphis will take it all. They are incredibly athletic and deep. They made Texas look foolish. A Carolina-Memphis final will be an amazing contest.

KandG
03-30-2008, 08:28 PM

No one thinks Memphis has a chance? They were probably the single most impressive team I saw play these last few days...and they even hit their free throws.

The first half they had against MSU was probably the single best half of basketball I've seen played by any team the entire tournament.

mk76
03-30-2008, 08:33 PM
No one thinks Memphis has a chance? They were probably the single most impressive team I saw play these last few days...and they even hit their free throws.

The first half they had against MSU was probably the single best half of basketball I've seen played by any team the entire tournament.
Agreed. They are awesome and playing lights out at the right time.

ChrisP
03-30-2008, 10:08 PM
KU did a really nice job on Curry. He finished 9-25 overall, 4-16 from three. Chris Lofton had his career ended with a similar performance; same with Drew Neitzel. Not that Curry's career is over, and he's actually a much better player than the other two, but it's just not that hard to crack down on a great shooter if you have athletes.

Still, a GREAT season for Davidson. I really appreciate them entertaining me so much over the past couple of weeks.

If JJ had shot as "well" as Curry did today (36%), we'd likely have beaten LSU his senior year. I actually thought Kansas did a good, but not great job defending him. He missed a few really open looks + he took a couple of bad shots - like that one on the break near the end of the game after Davidson had come up with a timely steal. Still, he's a great player and great scorer so I can't really blame him. I couldn't help but watch him today and think to myself "man, if only JJ could have gotten the same shots to fall that this kid has..."

HK Dukie
03-30-2008, 10:53 PM
What surprised me about Curry was his great passing skills. If he is going to play in the NBA he probably needs to play point given his size, but he has the talent to make that transition (and played it in high school).

The quick release and ability to create his own shot definitely helps. I am very impressed.