PDA

View Full Version : Duke Hatred Tsunami v. 2.0

Dopeshop
03-30-2008, 01:39 PM
About a year ago, my frustration boiled over on the constant references to Hating Duke. I posted "Duke Hatred Tsunami (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966)" right after seeing the Duke cheerleaders crying into the camera after the VCU loss and sobbing..."why do they Hate us so much...? " The post has been viewed 32,000 times or so..

A year later, not much has changed. Coach K's grandson was quoted in the Washington Post wanting to know why everyone hates Popi...Some journalists are on a feeding frenzy. The AP writer David Ginsburg by-lined a piece from the womens first round in College Park. A few excerpts :

"Maryland basketball fans can have twice the fun tonight...they can root against hated Duke."

'It's Duke, Crystal Langhorne said yesterday, "Everybody hates Duke; Not just Maryland ..Everyone does."

"when we came to Maryland, said Laura Harper, the fans were so adamant to beat Duke...not win the ACC tournament!"

And on it goes... Every flap jack has two sides and Duke's is lost in the shuffle. I wish they would replay the press conf. from the 1986 final four in Dallas. Alarie, Dawkins and the guys were the darlings of the media, and we were all busting with pride. I don't know when or why the it changed from love and admiration to "hate" and loathing, but I wish I could do Something about it... Rant finished, thanks.

godukecom
03-30-2008, 01:53 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say that if UNC continues this new trend of having great teams, arrogant fans, and a run of final fours/championships, they will be similarly hated in about a decade or so.

Success breeds hatred. When was the last time UMD students had a riot after beating Duke in football? For that matter, how many people actually hate Duke football? I took a friend of mine to a duke football game 2 years ago. He is diehard UNC fan and was going for Miami at the beginning, but actually began to cheer for Duke when it looked like they might win (of course they didnt- thad threw the pick, arrrgggghhhh i still remember it). When I asked him why he, who boradcasts his hate for Duke during Basketball season, was a duke-fan-for-a-day, he said he felt pity for Duke football, and there really was no reason to hate them. People feel the same way about Davidson now; if they go on a big success streak hatred will be there for them too.

For better or for worse, success breeds hatred. And, last I checked, Duke is still pretty damn successfull at basketball...

BoC
03-31-2008, 10:07 PM
Just what is the scope of Duke Hatred? I was reading about an interesting (I thought) experiment about whether or not merely being exposed to the Apple logo will make you more creative.

Where was this experiment conducted? Duke University. link (http://gawker.com/374234/apple-logo-makes-you-creative-really)

The first comment? From one TheHonJudgeSmails

"Why am I not shocked that a study this lame was conducted at Duke University?

Up next for the team: Does jumping up and down, chanting "ohhhhhhh" while dressed like a retarded clown and worshipping Adolf Krzyzewski naturally make you a douchebag?"

sigh...

godukerocks
03-31-2008, 10:12 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say that if UNC continues this new trend of having great teams, arrogant fans, and a run of final fours/championships, they will be similarly hated in about a decade or so.

I wouldn't want that. Something will have gone wrong here if that happens.

RelativeWays
03-31-2008, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't want that. Something will have gone wrong here if that happens.

You forget that UNC has already been there. In the 80's and early 90's the only people who didn't hate UNC were tarhole fans, and Duke fans could unite and gleefull shadenfreude will any other fan any time the heels lost. I miss those days. In reality I don't care who hates my team. Bandwagon haters are the same brainless sheep as bandwagon fans.

Kdogg
04-01-2008, 11:02 AM
You forget that UNC has already been there. In the 80's and early 90's the only people who didn't hate UNC were tarhole fans, and Duke fans could unite and gleefull shadenfreude will any other fan any time the heels lost. I miss those days. In reality I don't care who hates my team. Bandwagon haters are the same brainless sheep as bandwagon fans.

I miss those days too. The difference now is the internet and 24/7 media. I grew up in the Carolinas so if some columnist in LA or Chicago wrote about UNC I would rarely read it. SI came out once a week. After 1995, things changed. Duke's return to prominence coincided with the rise of the information age: ESPN, the web, bulletin boards, bloggers, etc... I can only imagine the level of hatred toward UCLA if the web existed in the 60's and 70's.

luigi90
04-01-2008, 11:49 AM
my seven year old son asked me why the WVU fans made fun of our players and team so much..we left the MCI Center with 5 minutes to go after one to many " F U (insert duke or duke player name)" cheers. I think this is a problem in college basketball and needs to be addressed by the coaches of the teams (similar to how coach k does). Its mostly duke, but look at the stuff kevin love had to put up with on his trip to oregon (and another returning recruit I recall comes to mind as well).

someone needs to remind these idiot fans that these are college students that dont deserve this kind of personal animosity and hostility..creative fun=ok, cursing and derogatory comments have to go.

rsvman
04-01-2008, 01:50 PM
After Duke lost to W. Va. one of the major sports sites had a poll up: Are you happy that Duke lost?

Did they put up a poll when UConn lost in the first round to San Diego? Was there a poll when Georgetown lost to Davidson? Was there a poll when Wisconsin lost to Davidson?

Why would they even ask the question?

(By the way, 75% of respondents were happy. I was surprised it wasn't 85% or higher.)

sagegrouse
04-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Why this self-flagellation and whining? Perhaps it serves as a harmless outlet for those who feel unloved?

Anyway, we have just had a scientific poll among 2,513 self-described college basketball fans (The Harris Report) that found that Duke was once again the most popular basketball team. And its record over the past fifteen years swamps any other team, including Kentucky and UNC.

Opposing this are a series of unscientific "polls" that merely ask people to come on line and name their favorite and least favorite program. Even with this dubious approach that invites poll-skewing, Duke was still the #2 most popular team (after UNC).

So, what's the problem?

Can we really expect fans of other major programs to bow in our direction?

Do we really expect the gangsta' fans at Maryland to behave like normal human beings? Their problem IMHO is that "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" (Act 2, Scene 2, Romeo and Juliet). Duke re Maryland: "Who? Maryland? Them? Ho-hum." Or "Not our rival!"

And, of course, the loudest voices on the web and in the stands come from the "lowest common denominator" -- polite talk for ignorant boobs, whose opinion and noise should be beneath mention.

Sorry to rant, but the grouse side is winning vs. the sage side.

sagegrouse

Lulu
04-02-2008, 04:33 AM
Success might breed contempt, but that's not what I'd point to as the actual lightning rod in this situation.

I'd point to the insane media blitz that started around a couple years ago or so regarding "Duke getting all the calls". With completely biased editing, clips, and coverage, and some simple ignorance, Duke was portrayed as always, unfairly benefiting from ridiculous officiating. It was far from the truth, but for those looking for bias, and those who were simply more likely to watch the highlights than an actual game, it was a very good reason to hate Duke. No one likes an alleged cheater, especially one that had put a beating on most others' teams and was now seen to have done so unfairly. A lot of the respect that others (perhaps unwillingly) carried for a seemingly honest, clean, and tough-minded Duke team turned to complete hatred at this point.

Perhaps the terping has truly beaten us off the court, what a grand plan.

I also don't think that UNC could ever be as hated as we are. You really have to be a private school to enter the uppermost echelon of contempt among the rest.

rickshack
04-02-2008, 06:12 AM
No rational fan of any school thinks Duke gets all the calls... Its fun to say it gives some comfort for losing,but they really don't believe that Duke cheats.

sagegrouse
04-02-2008, 06:49 AM
I also don't think that UNC could ever be as hated as we are. You really have to be a private school to enter the uppermost echelon of contempt among the rest.

Do you really think the idiots chirping on the Internet have any concept that Duke is a private school? You can list me as "unconvinced" on that specific?

There is an indirect effect in that private schools have many fewer students and alumni than the large state universities. So, I suppose, their alumni base has greater potential for producing whiners and carpers and other species in the idiot genus.

sagegrouse
'Rarely sage but usually grousing'

Lulu
04-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Do you really think the idiots chirping on the Internet have any concept that Duke is a private school? You can list me as "unconvinced" on that specific?

Well let's just say that if the name of a school contains the name of a US state that school will probably always be seen in a better light to the average joe, at least when it comes to athletic favorites.

You'd really have to be scraping the bottom of the barrel to find those who have no idea that Duke is a good school. The average person in my tiny, midwestern hometown is well aware that Duke is considered a better, if not more privileged institution than most. Besides, a significant portion of the college basketball fanbase is going to be those those who went to college, and I dare say there aren't many who want to see a school that's considered academically superior to also defeat them athletically; no one likes that, especially when you add the perception of having a body of spoiled rich kids.

The contempt of the large number of college grads who do know why they hate Duke is going to rub off on the fans with no actual connection to those same schools, too. I've seen the dislike for Duke grow amongst my own personal friends the past few years, who simply know what they've been told by ESPN etc, and then have to ask me about it.

Duke was not hated like this from the 90's to 2001, when we were at our best. (OK, so some opposing fans weren't fond of Battier, presumably because of his elegance.) I cannot pinpoint a date right now but there was a distinct time when the sports journalists just seemed to pounce on Duke at every chance, and that's really when the hatred started. It's sad, but I'm not even comfortable wearing my Duke gear around much anymore because I know I'll get a bit harassed sometimes. Had a car trashed once, and the perpetrators made it clear that the Duke license plate frame and sticker instigated it, and this was nowhere near North Carolina or the east coast. No more stickers on the cars now.

The rational fans dislike us now, at least partly, for having so many McD's and not "achieving". Rational fans are in the minority though in any case.

Dickie V probably didn't help either.

mcdukie
04-02-2008, 09:54 AM
I live in Maryland and go to their website sometime. Every time I go on there it is something involving Duke. I feel like we must be really hated because we sure enough don't talk about Maryland all the time on here. They still talk about JJ!

BigTedder
04-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Well let's just say that if the name of a school contains the name of a US state that school will probably always be seen in a better light to the average joe, at least when it comes to athletic favorites.

You'd really have to be scraping the bottom of the barrel to find those who have no idea that Duke is a good school. The average person in my tiny, midwestern hometown is well aware that Duke is considered a better, if not more privileged institution than most. Besides, a significant portion of the college basketball fanbase is going to be those those who went to college, and I dare say there aren't many who want to see a school that's considered academically superior to also defeat them athletically; no one likes that, especially when you add the perception of having a body of spoiled rich kids.

The contempt of the large number of college grads who do know why they hate Duke is going to rub off on the fans with no actual connection to those same schools, too. I've seen the dislike for Duke grow amongst my own personal friends the past few years, who simply know what they've been told by ESPN etc, and then have to ask me about it.

Duke was not hated like this from the 90's to 2001, when we were at our best. (OK, so some opposing fans weren't fond of Battier, presumably because of his elegance.) I cannot pinpoint a date right now but there was a distinct time when the sports journalists just seemed to pounce on Duke at every chance, and that's really when the hatred started. It's sad, but I'm not even comfortable wearing my Duke gear around much anymore because I know I'll get a bit harassed sometimes. Had a car trashed once, and the perpetrators made it clear that the Duke license plate frame and sticker instigated it, and this was nowhere near North Carolina or the east coast. No more stickers on the cars now.

The rational fans dislike us now, at least partly, for having so many McD's and not "achieving". Rational fans are in the minority though in any case.

Dickie V probably didn't help either.

I catch hell daily for my Duke gear.....DAILY! I will still wear it...even in the off season. I wore it in the 80's and 90's when we were winning...and in the 2000's when we were winnin more! I will wear it now when we are "struggling" with our 20+ win seasons. I despise most of the other schools in the ACC and couldn't care less how far they get in the post season. I am a DUKE fan....period.

MHTorringjan
04-02-2008, 11:03 AM
I actually had to deal with this hatred lately myself. I read a blog site for the conference of my undergrad team (CAA), since I like to keep up with the goings-on there. One day, he posted a lengthy rant of his own on how he actually enjoyed coming to Duke for the George Mason game year before last, but now hated Duke for a number of reasons. I posted a response to him asking if it was really necessary to post a Duke-hating column on his site, which was supposed to be devoted to CAA basketball, but admitting that some of the issues he cited, I agreed weren't fantastic. He gave me a somewhat rude reply along the lines of, "Well, beer isn't necessary either."

But anyway, I just felt like the problem hit home there, since a site that I enjoyed reading for other content posted a completely uncalled for attack on the team that I love.

Anyway, possibly a little bit off-topic, and if so, I apologize. :-\

M.H.

sagegrouse
04-02-2008, 11:43 AM

Boy, we should really agree to disagree. The "significant portion of the college basketball fan base" to which you refer, just picked Duke as the favorite college b-ball program in a nationwide poll.

And how do you explain the widespread popularity of the Notre Dame football program? (It is not all due to the influence of my sainted Irish grandmother now in heaven.) And BTW, there are just as many people that loathe ND football as like it -- and probably more than hate Duke.

When I wore my Duke sweatshirt to my dentist's office in my Rocky Mountain hometown (Steamboat), the dentist's cute receptionist said, "Duke is everyone's favorite team."

I maintain that a part of so-called Duke hatred is an almost physical jealousy by fans of other programs.

And you mentioned, "scraping the bottom of the barrel." I truly believe that the bottom-of-the-barrel is the source of much of the most objectionable material. I propose to place them in the genus "idiota."

Anyway, I think the worst thing is for the manifestation of dislike, whatever it is, to disappear -- it would mean we have become irrelevant.

sagegrouse

Duke Parent 06
04-02-2008, 06:17 PM
I’m new here, attracted by this thread after reading the recent piece by Duke alum Devin Gordon on the Newsweek web site (http://www.newsweek.com/id/123333) with the title: “Why You Hate Us. Because we win. We're arrogant. We're on TV. And did I mention that we win? ” If you haven’t read it, it’s a great piece, and sums it all up just about perfectly.

My daughter graduated from Duke in 2006. She still follows the team somewhat, but although I’m not a Duke alum I became a Duke basketball fanatic (partly because I helped underwrite some of those scholarships). We live in NYC, and I usually walk the dog wearing a "Duke Basketball" cap my daughter gave me. Every once in a while I get a derogatory comment, laugh or sneer, I’m sure for all the reasons elaborated on in the Newsweek article, but also possibly because: (a) I’m 61 and a bit old to wear a college ball cap; (b) I’m a midget (5’6”); (c) I’m walking the tiny poodle my daughter left us when she went off to law school; and (d) all of the above. Heck with it, I’m proud of the negative attention and the dog seems ok with it too.

Here’s a new reason why they are going to hate Duke: Duke comes within a hair of losing to BELMONT (my wife says that next year I must get a home defibrillator) and the following week the Harris Poll says that we are voted the favorite basketball program in the country among those who follow college basketball. The poll nevertheless shows that the Duke haters are an obnoxious minority to whom we either pay entirely too much attention or not enough. After all, what would we be without them? Boring Stanford?

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=652

Go Duke!

captmojo
04-02-2008, 09:16 PM
And on it goes... Every flap jack has two sides and Duke's is lost in the shuffle. I wish they would replay the press conf. from the 1986 final four in Dallas. Alarie, Dawkins and the guys were the darlings of the media, and we were all busting with pride. I don't know when or why the it changed from love and admiration to "hate" and loathing, but I wish I could do Something about it... Rant finished, thanks.

I also recall hearing Jim Nance say "The good guys won!", back in '91 as the clock ticked away on Kansas.

mapei
04-02-2008, 11:27 PM
That Harris polls shows that, after Duke and UNC, the country's third-favorite team is Illinois. Illinois? That really makes me wonder about that poll.

I don't doubt that Duke is the #1 or #2 favorite. We certainly get the exposure. But I bet in any head-to-head poll among college basketball fans, those who hate Duke vastly outnumber those who love it. And those who hate Duke vastly outnumber those who hate any other school.

devildeac
04-02-2008, 11:32 PM
That Harris polls shows that, after Duke and UNC, the country's third-favorite team is Illinois. Illinois? That really makes me wonder about that poll.

I don't doubt that Duke is the #1 or #2 favorite. We certainly get the exposure. But I bet in any head-to-head poll among college basketball fans, those who hate Duke vastly outnumber those who love it. And those who hate Duke vastly outnumber those who hate any other school.

Missed your 1000th post recently. Congrats. Watch some of the milestones in your 1000-1100 journey.

loran16
04-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Not sure how many of you have seen this on Deadspin, but this was just sad:

I went to a Wizards game the other night, and despite the fact that Gilbert Arenas made a surprise return to the lineup, the crowd was comatose for pretty much the whole night. When the Bucks shot free throws, the Verizon Center crew put up a collage of Duke images — Paulus, Coack K, etc. — on the scoreboard to get the crowd to boo, and it worked like magic. I’m not kidding. That really happened.