PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox- Yankees...Duke-UNC

NYC Duke Fan
03-30-2008, 07:23 AM
There is no bigger rivalry in sports anywhere than the Red Sox- Yankee rivalry.

While I live in New York, I grew up in Boston and as big a Duke basketball fan that I am, the Red Sox are my passion. When the 2 play, and they do for 22 games a year, I hate the Yankees. That said, if the Sox are not in the World Series and the Yankees are, I root hard for the Yankees, ( not as passionately). They are a great rival and are an American League team.

I don't quite understand then why as Duke fans and members of the ACC we are not rooting for UNC to win the championship. I know that I am. I respect their program, think that Roy is a great coach...he runs a clean program, UNC is a great institution,and the Duke-UNC rivalry is the second biggest rivalry in all of sports

I am obviously in the great minority, ( could be a minority of 1 ), but that is OK

Lavabe
03-30-2008, 07:52 AM

I don't quite understand then why as Duke fans and members of the ACC we are not rooting for UNC to win the championship. I know that I am. I respect their program, think that Roy is a great coach...he runs a clean program, UNC is a great institution,and the Duke-UNC rivalry is the second biggest rivalry in all of sports

I am obviously in the great minority, ( could be a minority of 1 ), but that is OK

You are in a minority. Roy as "Great?" Not on this board (at least with me ;)). But the RedSox/Yankees rivalry the greatest? I grew up in the NY/NJ area (Roy White vs. Yaz years), and it never seemed that way to me. I can think of a few rivalries in football (err, y'all call it soccer), college football, and rugby that go back a bit further and with more emotion than does the baseball one you raised.

As for not understanding why we don't, WHAT, root for UNC?!?!?! :eek: HUH?? :eek: Please refer to this thread:
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8338

In a more serious response, probably being so close that one should probably have a fund-raising run between the schools MIGHT have something to do with the hate/loathe.

NOTE: This last line refers to a previous thread. NYCDukeFan's post is a a repeated lament, one that has been discussed previously. I believe it should be listed in throaty's HPR.

Cheers and loathes,
Lavabe

P.S. The "loathes" issue refers to a repeated thread topic that has surfaced in the threads, and which is also being repeated. It is not directed towards anyone in particular.

weezie
03-30-2008, 09:00 AM

Obviously, you are a saint. I am not, therefore, GTHC,GTH.
And, GO DETROIT TIGERS.

NYC Duke Fan
03-30-2008, 09:27 AM
You are in a minority. Roy as "Great?" Not on this board (at least with me ;)). But the RedSox/Yankees rivalry the greatest? I grew up in the NY/NJ area (Roy White vs. Yaz years), and it never seemed that way to me. I can think of a few rivalries in football (err, y'all call it soccer), college football, and rugby that go back a bit further and with more emotion than does the baseball one you raised.

As for not understanding why we don't, WHAT, root for UNC?!?!?! :eek: HUH?? :eek: Please refer to this thread:
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8338

In a more serious response, probably being so close that one should probably have a fund-raising run between the schools MIGHT have something to do with the hate/loathe.

NOTE: This last line refers to a previous thread. NYCDukeFan's post is a a repeated lament, one that has been discussed previously. I believe it should be listed in throaty's HPR.

Cheers and loathes,
Lavabe

P.S. The "loathes" issue refers to a repeated thread topic that has surfaced in the threads, and which is also being repeated. It is not directed towards anyone in particular.

Would there be any ACC team that you would root for to win the championship ?

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion but most all of the sports people consider the Red Sox - Yankee rivalry the biggest in sports with the Duke-UNC rivalry second...Michigan-Ohio State, Harvard-Yale, Stanford-Cal, are probably next as far as colleges go. In pro football it is probably Cowboys-Redskins, Packers-Lions, Giants-Eagles, Cowboys, Redskins. In pro basketball it once was Celtics-Lakers but no more. In hockey it was Canadians-Maple Leafs followed by Rangers-Islanders

This survey was done in ESPN Magazine a while ago.

CDu
03-30-2008, 09:28 AM

While I live in New York, I grew up in Boston and as big a Duke basketball fan that I am, the Red Sox are my passion. When the 2 play, and they do for 22 games a year, I hate the Yankees. That said, if the Sox are not in the World Series and the Yankees are, I root hard for the Yankees, ( not as passionately). They are a great rival and are an American League team.

You're in the great minority either way. Very few Red Sox fans will root for the Yankees (in fact, you're the only one I've heard of that will do so), and vice versa. If you don't understand it, then it can't be explained. It's part of the irrationality of sports rivalry, and part of what makes sports fun for many people.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-30-2008, 09:34 AM

As a life long Yankee fan, who's Yankee Blue blood runs as deep and true as my Duke Blue blood, I'll agree that the Yankee - Red Sox rivalry is the biggest world wide. And Duke - unc, in every sport, is the best in college sports on a local level (with several other rivalries, such as Ohio State - Michigan in football as one example, being listed as 1a, 1b, etc.) with basketball currently being the best national headliner.

But root for carolina? Not a chance; not in this lifetime.

I think I understand the root of your problem, NYC Duke Fan: you root for the Red Sox.

Troublemaker
03-30-2008, 10:05 AM
There are no ACC fanbases that root for Duke in the tournament; I can guarantee you that. Certainly Carolina doesn't. Yes, it's possible to root for ACC teams anyway, despite their fanbases not reciprocating, but at some point, you just want to be nice to people who are nice to you.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-30-2008, 10:19 AM
I grew up in the NY/NJ area (Roy White vs. Yaz years), and it never seemed that way to me.

The Roy White (#6 in your Yankee program) doesn't compare to Yaz as a player. Not even close, and I don't know of any Yankee fan who would claim such. Of course, the Red Sox didn't win a WS during that period, either. Game 6 anyone :D ?

As to what other ACC teams would I root for to win the national championship? NC State, Wake Forest, GTech, Clemson (now, but not years ago - acknowledging Klemnop's influence on me), and Virginia. NOT Maryland and ambivalent about the newcomers. And no way in their own hell carolina.

Let's Go Davidson!

dyedwab
03-30-2008, 10:24 AM

Yep. Everybody but Carolina

Lavabe
03-30-2008, 11:18 AM

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion but most all of the sports people consider the Red Sox - Yankee rivalry the biggest in sports with the Duke-UNC rivalry second...Michigan-Ohio State, Harvard-Yale, Stanford-Cal, are probably next as far as colleges go. In pro football it is probably Cowboys-Redskins, Packers-Lions, Giants-Eagles, Cowboys, Redskins. In pro basketball it once was Celtics-Lakers but no more. In hockey it was Canadians-Maple Leafs followed by Rangers-Islanders

This survey was done in ESPN Magazine a while ago.

ESPN Magazine does not sample worldwide when completing its survey, so I'd avoid claiming it's the biggest sports rivalry "anywhere." In football/soccer, Celtic/Rangers is high on the longtime hated rivalries. Liverpool & Everton meet today in their "Merseyside Derby" that's been going on since 1894.

Any other ACC team I'd root for? Assuming no one of them knocked off Duke en route, hmm... if Clemson made it that far, yes. Otherwise:
Holes: No earthly way.
Whoos: Not in this century.
State: I did, but will no longer do so.
Tech: I'd rather have root canal.
Wake: Calling Patrick Davidson!
FSU: No.
Miami, Boston College, VaTech: Are they really in the ACC?
Twerps: Spear the turtle.

The Yankees/RedSox in the late 60's wasn't much of a rivalry. I mean really ... Roy White vs. Yaz? A rivalry has to persist through those sorts of times. It was NOT as heated as, say, Brooklyn Vs. Giants.

Cheers,
Lavabe

davekay1971
03-30-2008, 11:30 AM
I could care less about Yankees/Sox, but I deeply care about Duke/UNC, and there is no way in this lifetime I'll root for Carolina. Sorry. I live in NC, and have to deal with way too many of those tarhole fans.

As for the other ACC teams - my mom and wife are both Wolfpackers, so obviously I root for them. And the '83 State team ranks right up there with the '91 and '92 Devils for my best basketball memories (which is saying a lot, since I was an undergrad at Duke in '91 and '92). Any ACC team except for Carolina will get my support on the national stage.

blazindw
03-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Obviously, you are a saint. I am not, therefore, GTHC,GTH.
And, GO DETROIT TIGERS.

I like your style, weezie!

I think people's perceptions of the biggest rivalries in sports have to do with where they grew up or who they grew up rooting for. Growing up, there was nothing bigger than Michigan-Ohio Snake, and today in football, there still is nothing above that. Also, based on where I lived and where I went to school, I'm also partial to Michigan-Michigan Snake, Miami-FSU, Texas-OU and Texas-Texas A&M. In college basketball, Duke-UNC obviously is #1, and now I rank on par with Michigan-Ohio Snake football (it's like choosing between 2 children).

In professional sports, all my rivalries involve Detroit teams (except for Cowboys-NFC East rivalries). In the NFL, Lions-Bears is actually a bit bigger than Lions-Packers. In the NBA, Pistons-Bulls, Pistons-Celtics and Pistons-Lakers were 3 of the dominant rivalries ever when I was a kid. In hockey, Red Wings-Blackhawks, Red Wings-Avalanche and Red Wings-Maple Leafs were all classic forms of hatred. In MLB, the Tigers have rivals, like the White Sox or Indians, but they're not on the level of the Yankees-Red Sox. Those rivalries are more by proximity than by actual hatred.

RelativeWays
03-30-2008, 11:59 AM
All of these college rivalries pale next to the pure hatred that is Bama/Auburn, cept maybe Michigan/Ohio State. Part of that has to do with the Duke/UNC football rivalry is nowhere near as intense as the basketball rivalry. UNC was a more intense football rivalry with State than Duke, even during the Spurrier years.

blazindw
03-30-2008, 12:01 PM
All of these college rivalries pale next to the pure hatred that is Bama/Auburn, cept maybe Michigan/Ohio State. Part of that has to do with the Duke/UNC football rivalry is nowhere near as intense as the basketball rivalry. UNC was a more intense football rivalry with State than Duke, even during the Spurrier years.

The Iron Bowl does involve pure hatred. My mom's from Alabama, so whenever I go visit my grandmother, that's all people talk about year-round. Also, Texas-Arkansas was a huge rivalry back in the days of the old Southwestern Conference. My dad being from Arkansas, and having lived a few years in Texas, the hatred between those two schools still exists on some level (though more from the Arkansas side than from Texas).

mk76
03-30-2008, 12:26 PM

Gimme a break. You CANNOT possibly be an alumnus.

bluebear
03-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Gimme a break. You CANNOT possibly be an alumnus.

Nor can you be a card carrying member of Red Sox nation...When Duke or the Sox go down, it's all about rooting against Carolina/Yankees...

Highlander
03-30-2008, 01:21 PM
I could care less about Yankees/Sox, but I deeply care about Duke/UNC, and there is no way in this lifetime I'll root for Carolina. Sorry. I live in NC, and have to deal with way too many of those tarhole fans.

I agree 100%. If I didn't work and live next to obnoxious UNC fans who will rub the fact that they won a national championship in my face for the next 11 months, I might root for them. As it stands, just can't bring myself to do it.

Cameron
03-30-2008, 03:08 PM
What are you talking about, NYC?

Last night I almost had a heart attack I was so infuriated with Hansbrough's constant grab and clutch of Louisville players out top. That freakin' monster was near form tackling everyone that came near him. I hate him dearly. Not to mention he had the audacity to stand around and whine when he was called for a foul (which was almost never).

If I could somehow, hypothetically, watch his head used as a punching bag for a couple thousand dollars (without him being injured, of course, because nobody wants that), I would.

Screw Carolina.

glutton
03-30-2008, 04:19 PM

I'd root for most of them, actually. I would actively root against Carolina, Maryland, and VA tech. Possibly FSU as well, they've really rubbed me the wrong way in recent years.

But Wake, State, Clemson, Ga Tech, UVA, maybe BC... I'd root for any of them. Miami, I guess... eh, I don't really care for them. Generally I'm not a fan of football schools winning basketball championships.

glutton
03-30-2008, 04:28 PM
I agree 100%. If I didn't work and live next to obnoxious UNC fans who will rub the fact that they won a national championship in my face for the next 11 months, I might root for them. As it stands, just can't bring myself to do it.

I definitely agree with this. If I lived hundreds of miles away and didn't regularly see any Tarheel fans, I could maybe, *maybe* see pulling for them against some other team I really didn't like, like UConn. But the fans are what make it truly unbearable. I dislike UConn's team and coach more, but I don't actually know any UConn fans.

I've never known a Red Sox or Yankees fan who would root for the other team under any circumstances, and it's usually for the same reason- the fans are such jerks to each other that it becomes almost impossible.

Exiled_Devil
03-30-2008, 04:46 PM
ESPN Magazine does not sample worldwide when completing its survey, so I'd avoid claiming it's the biggest sports rivalry "anywhere." In football/soccer, Celtic/Rangers is high on the longtime hated rivalries. Liverpool & Everton meet today in their "Merseyside Derby" that's been going on since 1894.

Lavabe

I have to agree here - there are so many stronger rivalries in futbal that make the Red Sox/ Yankees look quaint. There are even some great ones in the Champions League - where you have to win to get in each year and national pride comes into play.

As for college sports, I don't buy the 'football rivalries are stronger than basketball rivalries' argument that underpins support for Michigan/Ohio State, Bama/Auburn, or other football schools. Duke/UNC means more on a more consistent basis in the national stage, adn the fact that they meet 2-3 (never in the NCAA's?) time a year and still are regularly significant shows how much greater Duke/UNC is to any football rivalry.

NYC Duke Fan
03-30-2008, 05:46 PM
When I initially posted about rivalries I was only referring to those that exist here in the US. I know nothing about foreign rivalries...I suppose Manhaster United has a rivalry with someone that is probably as intense as Yankee-Red Sox or Duke-UNC.

I am obviously in a very , very small minority, but in my mind sports rivalries should not be taken as seriously as they are with some posters here. They should be good natured and fun and when you root hard against an opponent that does not mean trhat you cannot root for them after they have defeated you.

Most if not all of my Yankee friends could not root for the Colorado Rockkies this past World Series, nor did they root for the St. Louis Cardinals 2 years ago.

Some of you make it seem like it is some sort of a crime to root for UNC to win. Why would you want Kansas, UCLA or Memphis to win? If Louisville had beated UNC yesterday I doubt that any of you could care less who won the title

I for one would love to see both the UNC men's and women's, ( if Duke is eliminated today) teams win their respective championship. I am an ACC fan first just as I am an American League fan first in baseball.

I also root for any ACC team if it is not Duke to win the lacrosse championships ( men' and women's), men's and women's soccer championships and I rooted for UNC in last year's college World Series.

Cameron
03-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Beated? ;)

Fair enough. But you're still crazy;) I almost hate UNC and its fans more than I love Duke. Almost.

If you think some of us are irrational, then read Will Blythe's To Hate Like This Is To Be Happy Forever. Even though he's a Carolina fan, it's an excellent read and really puts our rivalry into perspective.

How you could watch Roy cut down the nets, though, and actually be happy about it (my picturing you clapping makes me feel sick. Literally), is way beyond me. Way.

To each his own, I guess. I'm not saying you are any less of a Duke fan because of it (because who am I to judge?), but I find it rather odd.

Lavabe
03-30-2008, 06:20 PM
I have to agree here - there are so many stronger rivalries in futbal that make the Red Sox/ Yankees look quaint. There are even some great ones in the Champions League - where you have to win to get in each year and national pride comes into play.

Liverpool 1, Everton 0. Torres wins the Derby. The Toffees will need a lot to replace Liverpool in the UEFA next year. Only the top 4 in England advance. Liverpool (in 4th place) is clear of Everton (in 5th place).

All is good in the world... well, except for the NCAAs.

Now, about Beaker/Jesus lizard, Dancing Danny, and Dadgummit ... may they get painful sores and pustules. May they lose ad nauseum. May they (well, you get the picture) ...

Cheers and loathes,
Lavabe

-jk
03-30-2008, 06:58 PM
I'll throw my lot in with ABC.

I root for Duke first, ABC second, and the rest of the ACC third. Once upon a time I pulled for the Soviet National team over UNC (back when the USSR periodically made the ACC exhibition rounds).

I had my nose rubbed in it by way too many UNC fans during my formative years (those dismal early '70's) to ever pull for them. I'll respect them. I'll be civil to them. (I had a very nice discussion with Joe Wolf in a bar once.)

But pull for them? Never.

-jk.

HK Dukie
03-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Not all fans in NYC are in agreement.

ABC!!!!!

I would cheer for all ACC teams except UNC-CH or UMD.

2002grad
03-30-2008, 11:27 PM

As a Duke alum and lifelong Red Sox fan, I would always root against the rival in an important game or the post-season. The only time I could root for UNC or the Yankees is when they are really slumping (as UNC was about 5 years ago) and I miss the intensity of the rivalry when both teams are good.

There is a distinction, though. I have to respect UNC's program, while I can't find many redeeming qualities about the Yankees organization.

NYC Duke Fan
03-31-2008, 02:50 AM
As a Duke alum and lifelong Red Sox fan, I would always root against the rival in an important game or the post-season. The only time I could root for UNC or the Yankees is when they are really slumping (as UNC was about 5 years ago) and I miss the intensity of the rivalry when both teams are good.

There is a distinction, though. I have to respect UNC's program, while I can't find many redeeming qualities about the Yankees organization.,

While I am not a Duke alum, ( I have children who graduated from Duke ), but I am a life-long Red Sox fan, the redeeming quality about the Yankee organization is that if you are a Yankee fan, you know that each and every year, ( at least under the Steinbrenner reign), your team will always have the CHANCE to win the World Series because ownership will always spend the money on players to try and get you there.

NYC Duke Fan
03-31-2008, 02:58 AM
Virtually every poster here could never root for UNC. Does that extend to all sports or just to the basketball programs ?

Could you root for UNC to win the College World Series, the women's soccer championship, men's lacrosse ? Or because it is UNC no matter what sport it is you could never root for UNC.

What if in the college championship on, "Jeopardy", a UNC student was in the final, would you root agaist him or her to lose ?

NYC Duke Fan
03-31-2008, 03:19 AM
Beated? ;)

Fair enough. But you're still crazy;) I almost hate UNC and its fans more than I love Duke. Almost.

If you think some of us are irrational, then read Will Blythe's To Hate Like This Is To Be Happy Forever. Even though he's a Carolina fan, it's an excellent read and really puts our rivalry into perspective.

How you could watch Roy cut down the nets, though, and actually be happy about it (my picturing you clapping makes me feel sick. Literally), is way beyond me. Way.

To each his own, I guess. I'm not saying you are any less of a Duke fan because of it (because who am I to judge?), but I find it rather odd.

I wouldn't be clapping if Roy, Bill Self, Ben Howland or John Calipari were cutting down the nets, nor would I be getting an airline ticket to Raleigh-Durham to welcome home the basketball team if they won the tournament.I just find it interesting to say it is odd to be rooting for UNC to win the tournament or why it would make you sick if I clapped if Roy were cutting down the nets.

As I said previously, people, and I am not saying you, just generalizing, get way too crazy about sports and winning and losing. I am sure that you are over Duke losing to West Virginia and how long did it take you last year when we lost to VCU ?

Were you melancholy for days 3 years ago when UNC won the tournament?

Yes, there is a great euphoria when your team wins...I felt it last October when my Red Sox won the World Series and the years that Duke won the championships...my daughter was a student when they won back to back championships and my joy and excitement was more for her than for me, but that euphoria dissipates quite quickly.
While a lifelong Red Sox fan , I am also a life-long New York Giant fan,( my dad knew the Mara family quite well), and there was no more great sport story than this past year's NFL season. I felt great for awhile but that was over shortly thereafter.

I guess my point here and I'm sorry for rambling on, is that people get too crazy over sports and take it too personally when you disagree with them. Sports in no way changes yours or my life...it just adds a little joy to it

glutton
03-31-2008, 05:21 AM
While a lifelong Red Sox fan , I am also a life-long New York Giant fan,( my dad knew the Mara family quite well), and there was no more great sport story than this past year's NFL season. I felt great for awhile but that was over shortly thereafter.

Well, as a fan of the team that was on the losing end of that "great sport story", I can tell you that I felt crappy for considerably longer. In fact, "crappy" is not even the adjective I would choose to describe it, but after all, this is a family site...

Do I agree that it's crazy to be depressed for days about something like that, yes. Unfortunately, it's not like you can snap your fingers and not care anymore, or stop being upset just because you recognize that you shouldn't be. Such is the plight of the crazy sports fan.

glutton
03-31-2008, 05:23 AM
Were you melancholy for days 3 years ago when UNC won the tournament?

It's not so much being melancholy for days... it's more like, being tormented for days by every Tarheel fan you know. Or weeks, or months.

Without that, it probably wouldn't have crossed my mind a whole lot.

eddiehaskell
03-31-2008, 05:30 AM
I spend a lot of time arguing with UNC fans, so UNC winning gives them more ammo to say their team is better. Now if Duke had say 7 national championships....I might consider it.

If Duke gets knocked out of the tourney and any other ACC team other than UNC is playing, I'd root for them (except for Boston College, VA Tech and Miami....teams I couldn't care less about).

Lavabe
03-31-2008, 05:31 AM
Could you root for UNC to win the College World Series, the women's soccer championship, men's lacrosse ? Or because it is UNC no matter what sport it is you could never root for UNC.

What if in the college championship on, "Jeopardy", a UNC student was in the final, would you root agaist him or her to lose ?

Let's see. How to respond to your questions?
1) No. (CWS)
2) Hell no. (women's soccer)
3) No CENSOR way. (men's lacrosse)
4) Correct. (never root for them)
5) Against him. I'd be pulling for negative numbers.

It's rather straightforward.

Cheers,
Lavabe

ArnieMc
03-31-2008, 08:33 AM
1) No. (CWS)

Cheers,
LavabeI agree completely. I actually once rooted for UNC in the 1957 Final Four. I've felt dirty for over 50 years. Don't let it happen to you!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-31-2008, 09:24 AM
1) No. (CWS)

Cheers,
Lavabe

You're 5 for 5 Lavabe. Good job!

Bostondevil
03-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Of course, the Red Sox didn't win a WS during that period, either. Game 6 anyone :D ?

[/SIZE]

Dude, that was the Mets!!

Aw Ozzie, you're making me do it. Big Papi anyone?

And an even Better Game 6 ends with a walk-off in the 12th inning, thanks Pudge. (Yeah, yeah, I know what happened next but they keep showing that Jeff Capel shot every year during rivalry week too.)

Bostondevil
03-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Beated? ;)

Argh, no, I got sucked into that one thinking it might be as fair as everyone tried to make it sound. It's not. Ok, it's fair to Coach K and few others but who he REALLY rags on in that book are Duke students and alumni. Do not be tempted to buy that book. If you must read it, either do the library or PM me. I'll give you my copy, hateful thing. I can't believe I spent money on that book. It still bugs, and it's been what, 3 years?

I'd suggest boycotting the News and Observer just because Ann Blythe works there except I know y'all don't really have any other newspaper choices down there. (I'm from Durham, I can say y'all.)

I'd root for most other ACC teams in the Final Four but not Carolina. Maryland? It would depend on who they were playing but I did root for them in '02. I liked Juan Dixon.

DukePA
03-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Virtually every poster here could never root for UNC. Does that extend to all sports or just to the basketball programs ?

I cannot root for unc to win anything at all. I grew up in Orange county as a Duke fan and was tormented by holes fans. No way, no how will I ever root for the vile light blue.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Aw Ozzie, you're making me do it. Big Papi anyone?

I'll see your Big Papi and raise you one Bucky Dent!

Bostondevil
03-31-2008, 08:40 PM
I'll see your Big Papi and raise you one Bucky Dent!

The beauty of that taunt is . . . I'm not a lifelong Red Sox fan. I'm from Durham. I am a lifelong Duke fan but I didn't fall in love with the Red Sox until 1986 (April 29th to be exact). So, who cares? I don't feel the same pain. Now if you'd said Grady Little or Aaron Boone . . .

devildeac
03-31-2008, 11:20 PM
Root for the holes?-anytime?-any team? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

As a friend of mine who went to theOSU once, said, "Why would I ever root for Michigan in any sport/competition? Any time they win and can gain an edge in recruiting/student/publicity over us is bad for theOSU." See the analogy there?

Too many examples to name, but here are a few:

1. maktar
2. deannose (many examples here)
3. the Blythes
4. dancin' danny
5. hanstravel
6. the local press and the LAX coverage-yea, real objective there
7. ste-WART scott (who by the way could never make the unc cheerleading squad even after he tried out FOUR years!).
8. hubert davis
9. irrational fans
10. obnoxious fans
11. whine and cheezers

Hey, maybe that is an idea for someone's 1000th of 2000th post-why/how do I hate the holes-let me count the ways... Hmm...