PDA

View Full Version : Love on Duke

MarineTwinsDad
03-29-2008, 12:30 PM
On the Fan Nation blog (http://fannation.com/blogs/show/399074) written by Elizabeth McGarr, she quotes Kevin Love's response to UCLA being called the "Duke of the West Coast:: "Aw, that's an insult man," (Love) said with feigned disgust.

First, it's interesting that one of the most storied basketball programs in the nation would still fall under the aura of Duke Basketball. Second, it probably is an insult that UCLA wouldn't be considered for it's own history. Even so, for such a response, it's no wonder he didn't consider coming to Duke?

Cameron
03-29-2008, 12:55 PM
He made these comments because, deep down, he's still bitter Coach K and Duke didn't want him in the end.

This kid's attitude and personal/social discourse is pathetic, and I hope he gets what is coming to him--and his arrogant father.

I, for one, will have TWO teams to cheer my heart out against tonight.

bjornolf
03-29-2008, 01:06 PM
I know that the chances of this happening are 0.00001%, but I would LOVE to see Davidson cut down the nets after beating UK, UNC, and UCLA in a row. Wouldn't that be wild? That would be something! I am so pulling for Davidson right now. You wouldn't even have to stretch the David v. Goliath story thanks to their name!

Jumbo
03-29-2008, 01:10 PM
On the Fan Nation blog (http://fannation.com/blogs/show/399074) written by Elizabeth McGarr, she quotes Kevin Love's response to UCLA being called the "Duke of the West Coast:: "Aw, that's an insult man," (Love) said with feigned disgust.

First, it's interesting that one of the most storied basketball programs in the nation would still fall under the aura of Duke Basketball. Second, it probably is an insult that UCLA wouldn't be considered for it's own history. Even so, for such a response, it's no wonder he didn't consider coming to Duke?

You've got to understand that there is no "Love lost" (apologies for yet another pun) between Kevin and Duke. Do you guys remember the whole fiasco during the summer of 2005 when Love, who played on a Nike AAU team, went to the Reebok camp? It was just the start of many problems. The Love camp likes to spin things that they dropped Duke -- in part based upon the reaction to that situation. That's a joke. Duke dropped Love for various reasons (let's just say that I don't think very highly of him -- or his dad -- as a person). In addition, Love has a huge personal rivalry with Singler. In short, he is really bitter toward Duke. It actually surprised me, in some respects, that he didn't end up at UNC, just to punish Duke.

JG Nothing
03-29-2008, 01:33 PM
...for such a response, it's no wonder he didn't consider coming to Duke?

Love made his comment with "FEIGNED disgust." Does every statement in the media have to be interpreted as hatred towards Duke?

chrisheery
03-29-2008, 01:48 PM

While its not cool from our perspective to hear Duke talked about like that, look at it from a UCLA perspective. (Try to forget who is saying it). UCLA is, without question, the greatest college basketball program in the history of college basketball if you base it on national championships and legendary players alone. To call them the ______ of anywhere is really unfair and really is an insult. If you are going to call them, something, Duke, UNC, Kansas and Kentucky are probably the only places you can even put out there, but still, its not a fair thing to say about UCLA.

Please do not misinterpret this. Duke has an amazing legacy and aura, I'm just saying UCLA deserves to be treated as the truly elite program it is. I wouldn't want anyone calling Duke the UCLA of the east coast. I would find it "insulting."

I think its clear, though, that when you add in who said it, Love is angry we are the only school in the country who just didn't want him at all. (and i love that about Duke)

sandinmyshoes
03-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Love was never going anywhere besides UCLA. No point in Coach K wasting the time and budget on him.

weezie
03-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Love was never going anywhere besides UCLA. No point in Coach K wasting the time and budget on him.

And besides. I'm not so sure KL would have been up to the job of "Most Hated Dukie," those are some pretty big shoes to fill and he just doesn't seem to be a "big" enough guy.

sagegrouse
03-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Kyle Singler say if someone asked him if "Duke was the UCLA of the East?"

I hope something unprintable.

sagegrouse

MarkD83
03-29-2008, 02:36 PM
For all of those old enough to remember...Lefty Driesell was going to make "Maryland the UCLA of the East".

glutton
03-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Every time I read a quote like this, or listen to players at a press conference (after the WVU game, for example), it just makes me so glad that Duke players are diplomatic and respectful in interviews. I don't know if it's good coaching, or just the type of players we recruit, but I really appreciate it. And, I guess, thanks to Kevin Love, Danny Green, and Joe Alexander for making our guys look so good in comparison :)

Jumbo
03-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Every time I read a quote like this, or listen to players at a press conference (after the WVU game, for example), it just makes me so glad that Duke players are diplomatic and respectful in interviews. I don't know if it's good coaching, or just the type of players we recruit, but I really appreciate it. And, I guess, thanks to Kevin Love, Danny Green, and Joe Alexander for making our guys look so good in comparison :)

To be fair, our guys are coached that way, and it's almost to a fault. How often do you hear a Duke guy anything introspective anymore in an interview? So, maybe not everyone is Battier as a public speaker. But do you remember how quoteable Chris Carrawell was? He had no problem talking junk in the direction of other teams, and we loved him for it. He also did it in a hilarious way, but still, not every guy who isn't 100% diplomatic with every answer is some kind of an embarrassment, and our guys don't necessarily deserve praise for giving canned responses.

freedevil
03-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Didn't DeMarcus have a little bit to say about Vasquez after a game this season?

Saratoga2
03-29-2008, 04:06 PM
You've got to understand that there is no "Love lost" (apologies for yet another pun) between Kevin and Duke. Do you guys remember the whole fiasco during the summer of 2005 when Love, who played on a Nike AAU team, went to the Reebok camp? It was just the start of many problems. The Love camp likes to spin things that they dropped Duke -- in part based upon the reaction to that situation. That's a joke. Duke dropped Love for various reasons (let's just say that I don't think very highly of him -- or his dad -- as a person). In addition, Love has a huge personal rivalry with Singler. In short, he is really bitter toward Duke. It actually surprised me, in some respects, that he didn't end up at UNC, just to punish Duke.

As a player the guy was great the other night in all facets of the game. I don't know or care about the other aspects, he played a terrific game. He may be a one and done player, but he lifts UCLA into the elite category. They would be very good without him but not elite.

SoCalDukeFan
03-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Kevin Love is a great college basketball player.

I can certainly see why a UCLA player does not want the program called the anything of the West.

I have heard of no problems between Kevin Love or his father and the UCLA coaches.

There are probably very good reasons why K stopped recruiting Love. Like many I think he was a lock for UCLA and continued recruiting was a waste of time. There may have been personality issues. But on the court he would have a made a huge difference for us this year.

I will be rooting for whomever plays UCLA because I have seen UCLA get the calls at the end of 3 key games - Stanford, Cal, Texas A and M - but not because of Love. UCLA/UNC will be a real issue for me, hope the both lose before that.

SoCal

glutton
03-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Didn't DeMarcus have a little bit to say about Vasquez after a game this season?

Yeah, that's the one incident that came to mind. Although I'd rather he hadn't, I had a hard time holding that against him...

hc5duke
03-29-2008, 04:37 PM
I know that the chances of this happening are 0.00001%, but I would LOVE to see Davidson cut down the nets after beating UK, UNC, and UCLA in a row.

A minor point, but that's KU not UK... I hadn't been paying attention in a week, and I thought I somehow missed Kentucky going to the Elite Eight :confused: But, I agree 99% with what you said. The other 1% is because of a Davidson/Fuqua grad at work who is a complete [self-censored]... Some hilarious/horrible stories, which I might add in the off-topic board at some point.

glutton
03-29-2008, 04:49 PM
But do you remember how quoteable Chris Carrawell was?

Err... unfortunately, no. I've only been a fan since I started attending Duke in 2001, so my bball memory is relatively short.

I get what you're saying about canned responses, and I'm not necessarily advocating those. But I do think it's possible to show some personality and still remain respectful towards the other team. Then again, I'm almost certainly more sensitive to comments made by teams that have just beaten us...

JG Nothing
03-29-2008, 05:02 PM

We certainly have more than our share of respectful players. However, don't forget that we have also had some players feign stomps to the chest, bounce around like spastic pogo sticks with ridiculous facial expressions, slap backboards, do pushups after dunks, go after referees, twist the nipples of opponents (ouch!), and buy dogs to kick after losses. Oh wait, that last one was a UNC coach.

jma4life
03-29-2008, 05:19 PM
The west virginia comments bothered me. This, not at all. First of all, UCLA probably has a richer history than Duke. Secondly, I would expect a Duke player to think the same thing if asked the reverse question. Maybe they would be coached to be more diplomatic and maybe Love shouldn't have said it. But the fact that he thinks that ways is natural to me.

West Va comments on the other hand came across as completely classless to me and I cannot say I was upset to see them get bounced.

Classof06
03-29-2008, 05:41 PM
I think it's also worth mentioning that Love has a special appreciation for UCLA's history; moreso than most of his teammates. If I'm not mistaken, he's developed a special relationship with John Wooden and almost every time I hear him speak or get interviewed, I've heard him say how much appreciation he has for UCLA history and how he feels it's such an honor to play for the Bruins (even though he'll probably be one and done).

So it doesn't surprise me that Love, of all UCLA players, took exception to being called the Duke of anything, whether he really has it out for us or not. I've never heard Love bring Duke up for any reason so I have no reason to think he has a vendetta against us.

And while I won't deny UCLA's illustrious history, arguably the richest in the history of the sport, this is a program that has only one national championship since 1975. Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and Indiana can all claim better; Kansas would be able to join that list if it weren't for Roy's choke jobs :). Not trying to disrespect UCLA but it is what it is. People like to take shots at Duke for living on "faded glory" when we just won a national title 7 years ago.

Classof06
03-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Don't get me wrong. I love Duke. I love the history, I love K. But if I was a big men, I would never dream of attending there.

Hmmmm. Why wouldn't you want to come to Duke and play if you were a big man? Let me list 10 reasons why I would want to play for Duke if I were a good high school big man (in no order):

1. Let's be honest, you'd play. Right away. A lot.

2. Get to play for one of the best CBB head coaches of all time.

3. Get to have over 95% of your games a year on national TV.

4. Get to play in CBB's best rivalry and one of the best in sports

5. Receive a world-class education (almost forgot that one)

6. Get to play in one of the best sporting venues in America

7. Your team is all but guaranteed to make the NCAA tournament and if the past 15 years are any indication, you'll probably become pretty familiar with the Sweet 16. Oh, and your coach has the most NCAA tournament wins of all time.

8. The last true post player to come to Duke was a first team All-American and 2-time National defensive player of the year. He also got his jersey retired. The kicker? He got better during his time at Duke.

9. If you do what you have to do, chances are you'll get drafted. Even if you don't fulfill expectations, you'll still probably get drafted; ask Shav and Josh.

10. You get to play the villain for 4 years. What could be better?

So Salag, what are your reasons for not wanting to play at Duke?

Salag
03-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Yes, I agree, as I re-read the post, it turned into a rant. But I stand by what I said. I love Coach K, respect Duke (I can only love one NCAA school, and thats Gonzaga), but nevertheless I still respect and like them. Well more than Carolina, and thats what matters right.

Salag
03-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Hmmmm. Why wouldn't you want to come to Duke and play if you were a big man? Let me list 10 reasons why I would want to play for Duke if I were a good high school big man (in no order):

1. Let's be honest, you'd play. Right away. A lot.

2. Get to play for one of the best CBB head coaches of all time.

3. Get to have over 95% of your games a year on national TV.

4. Get to play in CBB's best rivalry and one of the best in sports.

5. Receive a world-class education (almost forgot that one)

6. Get to play in one of the best sporting venues in America

7. Your team is all but guaranteed to make the NCAA tournament and if the past 15 years are any indication, you'll probably become pretty familiar with the Sweet 16. Oh, and your coach has the most NCAA tournament wins of all time.

8. The last true post player to come to Duke was a first team All-American and 2-time National defensive player of the year. He also got his jersey retired. The kicker? He got better during his time at Duke.

9. If you do what you have to do, chances are you'll get drafted. Even if you don't fulfill expectations, you'll still probably get drafted; ask Shav and Josh.

10. You get to play the villain for 4 years. What could be better?

So Salag, what are your reasons for not wanting to play at Duke?

Sorry for the double post.

1) Yes, you would play a lot right away. But I live in Canada and don't watch as many Duke games as I wish, but from what I seen, its a guard-oriented offense, and wouldn't you want an offence that let you touch the ball more often then not?

2) I'll give you Coach K is a legend.

3) Lots of teams have most of the games on Nat'l TV. Thats not really a big deal anymore, there are plenty of teams that get their games on TV every time they step on the floor.

4) You don't think USC and UCLA is a great rivarly? I will concede that the rivarly is amazing. But there are still other great rivarlies, and this shouldn't be much of a reason for a recruit unless you grow up connected to the rivarly, i.e. you grow up in N.C. or grow up a fan of either school.

5) You don't think a UCLA education is just as good as Duke's? Want a world class education, and lots of touches and PT, go to the Ivy League.

6) Cameron? Thats a great venue, I'll give you that. But when schools are building brand-spanking new facilites all the time, it makes cameron look weak from a recruit's perspective.

7) UCLA only has back to back final fours, and poised for another one. There are plenty of team's which are pretty much guarenteed to make the tournament. And yeah, how was Duke's tourney's the last two years?

8) Musta missed this guy. I remember shav fouling out in first halves and McRoberts now carrying Oden's equipment bag.

9) Yes, I'd much rather get drafted in the 2nd round, asisgned to D-league for the rest of my career. Everybody knew Shave and Josh were going to get drafted out of HS. Josh was a top 10 pick coming out of HS. Two years at duke and he slips to the second round, and will probably never play in the NBA.

10) "Born to be Hated" "Dying to be Loved". It's not enjoyable to be booed by everyybody in the world haha.

Cameron
03-29-2008, 06:48 PM
8) Musta missed this guy. I remember shav fouling out in first halves and McRoberts now carrying Oden's equipment bag.

I got news for ya: If you don't know who Shelden Williams is then stop posting here. Sorry to be so blunt, but you're obviously not equipped enough to discuss much if you "musta missed this guy."

Acymetric
03-29-2008, 06:57 PM
I got news for ya: If you don't know who Shelden Williams is then stop posting here. Sorry to be so blunt, but you're obviously not equipped enough to discuss much if you "musta missed this guy."

On the plus side, you're Johnny Dawkins!

I don't have a huge problem with what he said, as people have mentioned UCLA has their own history and tradition.

Salag
03-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks Acymetric. I knew it was Shelden. I was being sarcastic. He was picked number 5 by the Hawks, and I may be mistaken, but he hasn't lived up to expectations. Especially if you look at the guys picked after him in the draft: Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay, Shawne Williams (starting to do well now), Rajon Rondo, and Jordan Farmer.

As a fan, you have to see your team objectivly. The world doesn't revolve around Duke, and I'm sorrry if I'm going to get banned for seeing the team as a basketball fan and not just a Duke loyal.

Kdogg
03-29-2008, 07:50 PM

1) Yes, you would play a lot right away. But I live in Canada and don't watch as many Duke games as I wish, but from what I seen, its a guard-oriented offense, and wouldn't you want an offense that let you touch the ball more often then not?

It's a player oriented offense: Danny, Christian, Grant, Elton, Shane: not guards.

3) Lots of teams have most of the games on Nat'l TV. Thats not really a big deal anymore, there are plenty of teams that get their games on TV every time they step on the floor.

No one has more nationally televised games than Duke. There are only a few pro teams (in any sport) that are on national tv as much. Most of that is from playoff runs. Love us or hate us we are a draw. A CBS executive was lamenting the fact that we were out of the tournament because it hurts ratings.

4) You don't think USC and UCLA is a great rivarly?

This might be big in LA/SoCal but it's not really significant to most of the country.

9) Yes, I'd much rather get drafted in the 2nd round, asisgned to D-league for the rest of my career. Everybody knew Shave and Josh were going to get drafted out of HS. Josh was a top 10 pick coming out of HS. Two years at duke and he slips to the second round, and will probably never play in the NBA.

Getting drafted is only a start. Sticking around is the hard part. For every Lebron James there is a Ousmane Cisse.

weezie
03-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey Salag, besides the season ending injury on Morrison, have you seen anything related to his rehab and outlook for next year? Is he ok health/diabetes-wise? He looked kind of peaked when they showed him in the crowd on tv last week, just curious.

glutton
03-29-2008, 09:23 PM

1) Yes, you would play a lot right away. But I live in Canada and don't watch as many Duke games as I wish, but from what I seen, its a guard-oriented offense, and wouldn't you want an offence that let you touch the ball more often then not?

2) I'll give you Coach K is a legend.

4) You don't think USC and UCLA is a great rivarly? I will concede that the rivarly is amazing. But there are still other great rivarlies, and this shouldn't be much of a reason for a recruit unless you grow up connected to the rivarly, i.e. you grow up in N.C. or grow up a fan of either school.

5) You don't think a UCLA education is just as good as Duke's? Want a world class education, and lots of touches and PT, go to the Ivy League.

6) Cameron? Thats a great venue, I'll give you that. But when schools are building brand-spanking new facilites all the time, it makes cameron look weak from a recruit's perspective.

7) UCLA only has back to back final fours, and poised for another one. There are plenty of team's which are pretty much guarenteed to make the tournament. And yeah, how was Duke's tourney's the last two years?

10) "Born to be Hated" "Dying to be Loved". It's not enjoyable to be booed by everyybody in the world haha.

I believe the point of the list was "Why a good high school big man would want to play for Duke", and had nothing to do with UCLA.

But in case you're wondering, my answer to your 5th question is "no".

Salag
03-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Hey Salag, besides the season ending injury on Morrison, have you seen anything related to his rehab and outlook for next year? Is he ok health/diabetes-wise? He looked kind of peaked when they showed him in the crowd on tv last week, just curious.
My friend ran into Adam's dad in a spokane mall recently and he said that Adam has started rehab, and is just doing straight running. Charlotte wants adam to play summer league, but the morrison camp doesn't want to risk his knee. Depends on how rehab goes and nothing stupid happens during the summer, but he looks ready for training camp. I never heard anything about his diabeties but I assume everything is still going ok. He needs a haircut and a razor kit now.

kjo3444
03-30-2008, 12:08 AM
He made these comments because, deep down, he's still bitter Coach K and Duke didn't want him in the end.

Yeah, Coach K really showed him.

One of the best 3 players in the game who plays a position where Duke is incredibly weak probably wouldn't have helped Duke much this year.

/sarcasm

crimsonandblue
03-30-2008, 12:13 AM
Isn't the "insult" Love is talking about the fact that UCLA is getting all Duke's calls/getting favorable treatment from refs? I didn't think it was a "tradition" comparison, so much as a suggestion that they've not deserved their wins.

willywoody
03-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Yeah, Coach K really showed him.

One of the best 3 players in the game who plays a position where Duke is incredibly weak probably wouldn't have helped Duke much this year.

/sarcasm

maybe or maybe it'd been like the previous two years.

weezie
03-30-2008, 08:54 AM
One hilarious moment last night, though, was hearing Rafferty warble Tupac's "CALIFORNIA LOOOOOOOOVE," as CBS went to a commercial in the 2nd half.<br><br>That alone might have been KL's biggest reason for picking ucla.<br>

Devilsfan
03-30-2008, 09:32 AM
If Ben sold his soul (putting up with a looney father) for another final four so be it. We still won 28 games.

Acymetric
03-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks Acymetric. I knew it was Shelden. I was being sarcastic. He was picked number 5 by the Hawks, and I may be mistaken, but he hasn't lived up to expectations. Especially if you look at the guys picked after him in the draft: Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay, Shawne Williams (starting to do well now), Rajon Rondo, and Jordan Farmer.

As a fan, you have to see your team objectivly. The world doesn't revolve around Duke, and I'm sorrry if I'm going to get banned for seeing the team as a basketball fan and not just a Duke loyal.

Why did you mention me? I never said anything to or about you, only about Cameron (he was temporarily Johnny Dawkins), and the initial post. Good reading.

ArnieMc
03-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Isn't the "insult" Love is talking about the fact that UCLA is getting all Duke's calls/getting favorable treatment from refs? I didn't think it was a "tradition" comparison, so much as a suggestion that they've not deserved their wins.Yeah, a UCLA friend Emailed me that they were calling UCLA the "Duke of the West" because they were getting all the calls. It was never a case of tradition or dominance.