PDA

View Full Version : Wake Recruit Aminu Arrested

kydevil
03-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Just saw this surfing the net, don't know if it's been posted yet... here's some links.

www.ajc.com/sports/content/spo...aminu_0329.html

www.gwinnettcountysheriff.com/...t=%202008057943

wisteria
03-29-2008, 12:07 AM
neither link works

bfree
03-29-2008, 12:09 AM
http://news.google.com/news?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=al+farouq+aminu&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wn

bhop22
03-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Everything I've read about this young man has been very positive. This is very odd timing. He played in the McDonald's game on Wednesday, so he probably didn't get back home until sometime Thursday. I wonder if he was getting grief from other kids about not having a great game. Hopefully he will get this straightened out. Also remember last year the Gwinnett Post reporting that he was dating Maya Moore, super freshman, from UConn. I hope I'm not stealing gossip from Jason Evans. Just kidding!

wisteria
03-29-2008, 12:22 AM
The BB gun shooting that he is arrested for happened on March.14th, before the McD AA game.

bhop22
03-29-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks. I had just seen the news clip that he had been arrested, and assumed the incident had just taken place.

SupaDave
03-29-2008, 12:50 AM
That's pretty surprising.

sandinmyshoes
03-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Not a very smart thing to do. In addition to injuring someone -- we can insert the put your eye out joke here -- sticking any kind of gun out the window of a car could draw return fire in this day and age.

kydevil
03-29-2008, 03:55 PM
neither link works

Hmmm I dunno what happened then, they both worked last night?

Saratoga2
03-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Not a very smart thing to do. In addition to injuring someone -- we can insert the put your eye out joke here -- sticking any kind of gun out the window of a car could draw return fire in this day and age.

Not to condone it, but kids do silly things, mine did and most parents have experience with issues of all sorts with their kids. I would say the kid needs to get punished, but that the punishment shouldn't be so great that it will stop him from moving forward with his life and plans.

Channing
03-29-2008, 04:01 PM
I did a quick search of the Ga penal code - and for those not versed in criminal law, Aminu faces a stiffer penalty because his "assault" was committed from a moving vehicle.

There is plain old vanilla assault, which is ramped up due to aggravating circumstances. For comparison, other aggravating circumstances are attempting to rob, rape or kill or causing serious bodily injury.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts his collegiate career.

weezie
03-29-2008, 06:20 PM
I have a feeling it won't make a bit of difference.

AtlDuke72
03-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Not to condone it, but kids do silly things, mine did and most parents have experience with issues of all sorts with their kids. I would say the kid needs to get punished, but that the punishment shouldn't be so great that it will stop him from moving forward with his life and plans.

The Atlanta paper this morning says that felony charges have been filed. It also describes what occurred. The victim was shot in the stomach with a BB gun and it also described the back window of her car being broken out. Her husband chased them for two miles after she screamed and managed to get the license plate. I don't know anything about Aminu and don't know what his role was in this, if any. However, I would not be so quick to just write this off as kids doing silly things that warrants a slap on the wrist . Shooting anybody from a car with any type of gun doesn't sound so insignificant to me.

cowetarock
03-30-2008, 11:29 AM
If it were not Wake Forest or one of a few other schools that keep athletics in proper perspective, I would agree with you.

hondoheel
03-30-2008, 11:46 AM
If it was a powerful enough gun to literally break out a car window, then it was powerful enough to do serious bodily harm. I tend to believe it more likely cracked the window.

cowetarock
03-30-2008, 12:06 PM
If it were not Wake Forest or one of a few other schools that keep athletics in proper perspective, I would agree with you.

cowetarock
03-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Sorry about the repeat but for some reason I have to log on twice to post.Help !