PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Patterson, Huntington Win - K watches

watzone
03-16-2007, 09:35 PM
The title says it all. Huntington advances, see link for more.
Patterson update (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog)

BluBones
03-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Interesting, Watzone. Question for you: what's Patterson's height and weight?

rthomas
03-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Coach Beilein was there too although he was there to watch another kid he is recruiting as well as for Patrick Patterson. Wonder if Coach K and Coach Beilein sat together like they did last time to discuss how to run the 1-3-1?

Dukebacker
03-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Interesting, Watzone. Question for you: what's Patterson's height and weight?

I have no clue if you were being serious about this but on scout.com, it shows Patterson at 6'8 234 pounds. A Lance Thomasish build.

He is supposed to narrow his list by the end of this week. I would go out on a limb and expect it to be Duke, Kentucky, and Flordia. I think Virginia and Wake are going to be on the outside looking in.

Here is a little excerpt about him on scout

Very strong, well built power forward. Strong student who can play facing the basket to mid-range. Body will be college ready. High-major prospect. Gifted prospect who probably winds up being a versatile four man. Can pass with precision and knock down mid-range extended jumpers. Body built for rebounding.

pratt '04
03-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Patterson's comments:

"I'm glad (Krzyzewski) came," Patterson said. "I talked to him after their loss to VCU, and he told me he was coming to the game. I was looking forward to seeing him, because I know he has a lot of things to do, but I'm glad he could come.

"Some coaches can't make it down and are busy, but I still talk to them. Coach K is a busy guy, though."

Herald Dispatch (http://www.heralddispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070317/SPORTS02/703170349/1002/SPORTS)

jimsumner
03-17-2007, 12:39 PM
6'8", 234 is a Lance Thomasish build? Maybe in two years. Lance is 210, 215 tops.

cape cod
03-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Dukebacker helped out by providing the following stats on PP:

"on scout.com, it shows Patterson at 6'8 234 pounds. A Lance Thomasish build."

Their heights may be the same, but the almost 20 pound difference (234 vs 215, per the GoDuke roster) makes a big difference. And who knows how much PP will weigh next year?

Cameron
03-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Let's get this one.

BluBones
03-17-2007, 01:53 PM
I have no clue if you were being serious about this but on scout.com, it shows Patterson at 6'8 234 pounds.

Yeah, I was. I give Watzone more credit than the average listing service out there b/c I assume Watzone has actually seen the player in person.

jipops
03-17-2007, 02:00 PM
If he comes to Duke, he's most likely going to play center. So a big question is if he is up to that.

denniden
03-17-2007, 03:25 PM
If he comes to Duke, he's most likely going to play center. So a big question is if he is up to that.
Playing center at Duke is not like playing center at many other programs. Josh played center this year and I would hardly say he was a center.

He would esentially play the power forward position.

Cameron
03-17-2007, 05:09 PM
^^I agree with you partially, but, if he comes to Duke, Patterson would be much more of a typical center than Josh was used as this past year. Singler will fufill more of what Josh did this season, and have a three-point shot to go with it. Patterson will be able to concentrate much more in the lane, somewhere in between a Boozer and a Williams.

ikiru36
03-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Patterson would fit in well at Duke as he is a good kid, excellent student, and the style of PF/C we have been most successful developing (i.e. Brand, Boozer, Williams). My sense thusfar is that he is closest to HS senior Boozer in size/strength and skill set (i've seen him play on TV a couple of times-and am glad to be corrected by others who know more about his game). As of now, the only player I see him competing with, position wise, would be Lance Thomas, if Thomas were to grow or bulk up a bit more. And if he were to come and Josh were to stay (seems very unlikely but the scholarships are there) we would be unbelievably deep at all positions (if Nolan Smith plays some PG, which he did as a junior for one of the top HS teams in the nation), like considerably more so than even this year's UNC squad.

Even with Josh leaving we'd be looking at...

1st team
1 Paulus
2 Scheyer
3 Henderson
4 Singler
5 Patterson

2nd Team (all but Smith were already starters at times this year and could be imagined to interchange with my listed 1st team)
1 Smith
2 Nelson
3 McClure
4 Thomas
5 Zoubek

3rd Team
2/3 Pocius
3/4 King

The potential practice intensity is amazing and would benefit all of these kids emmensely, even if they didn't get a huge amount of PT in games (until later in their careers).

As one final note: Even if we were to lose McRoberts and not get Patterson, Thomas and Zoubek were not only Freshmen this year but young for their classes (btw, Ellington, Wright and Lawson are relatively old for their class and Hansborough is actually 16 months older than McRoberts-same class tho'). There is definite potential for one or both of them to seriously strengthen/grow/bulk up this summer. Were that to happen we'd still have a serious improvement in size over this year as both King and Singler are 6'8", Singler with hops and long arms (and Smith another good sized, long armed guard).

I'd love to have all 13 and be seriously scary, but even with either iteration of 12 or with "only" 11, it'll be a special squad. Any "fans" inclined to do so are gonna be really sorry if they jump ship now.

Go Lady Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jjasper0729
03-17-2007, 08:18 PM
I think if PP picks Duke (and I certainly hope so), then he'll be a center more in the mold of Elton Brand probably.

grossbus
03-17-2007, 08:28 PM
"3rd Team
2/3 Pocius"

crazy.

HK Dukie
03-17-2007, 08:51 PM
I think Pocious is just going to get better and better...15min a game next year +

ikiru36
03-17-2007, 11:41 PM
"3rd Team
2/3 Pocius"

crazy.

Not sure how you meant this, but I was more trying to show the teams crazy depth than project lineups, per se. With the same gaggle of players one could easily imagine Pocius (or King for that matter) on the 1st or 2nd team at times, and then you'd go, "Wow, McClure, Smith, 3rd team. Crazy!"

All past evidence to the contrary, perhaps, but I do believe that K has a plan to utilize more players next year than he has in the past. He's already indicated a willingness to utilize many more scholarships on recruited players than ever before(beginning next year) so I'm certain he has had to answer the PT question for the players/recruits as well. I'm assuming he has been honest with them (and its not like they can't add up minutes as well as we can), promising that they will all have the opportunity to compete against the best, everyday in practice, with excellent coaches and facilities, get the best educational opportunity, and have most all of their games nationally televised for family/friends and NBA scouts to see. And if they are truly talented and hard-working enough, they will be rewarded with serious PT and game-time opportunity at some point in their career (the better, the sooner). And if that's not good enough for them (aka, K Humphries), and they have too much self-doubt that they'll earn those minutes early on since they want to go to the NBA lickity-split, well, try another program.

Go Lady Devils!!!!!!!!!Go Devils!!!!!!!!GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-17-2007, 11:47 PM
All past evidence to the contrary, perhaps, but I do believe that K has a plan to utilize more players next year than he has in the past. He's already indicated a willingness to utilize many more scholarships on recruited players than ever before(beginning next year) so I'm certain he has had to answer the PT question for the players/recruits as well.

I guess one solution to finding minutes for all our players is for all games to go to double overtime. That way there are an extra 50 minutes to divi up among the players. Of course, that would just about kill all the fans (from heart attacks.)

Demosthenes
03-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Not sure how you meant this, but I was more trying to show the teams crazy depth than project lineups, per se. With the same gaggle of players one could easily imagine Pocius (or King for that matter) on the 1st or 2nd team at times, and then you'd go, "Wow, McClure, Smith, 3rd team. Crazy!"

All past evidence to the contrary, perhaps, but I do believe that K has a plan to utilize more players next year than he has in the past. He's already indicated a willingness to utilize many more scholarships on recruited players than ever before(beginning next year) so I'm certain he has had to answer the PT question for the players/recruits as well. I'm assuming he has been honest with them (and its not like they can't add up minutes as well as we can), promising that they will all have the opportunity to compete against the best, everyday in practice, with excellent coaches and facilities, get the best educational opportunity, and have most all of their games nationally televised for family/friends and NBA scouts to see. And if they are truly talented and hard-working enough, they will be rewarded with serious PT and game-time opportunity at some point in their career (the better, the sooner). And if that's not good enough for them (aka, K Humphries), and they have too much self-doubt that they'll earn those minutes early on since they want to go to the NBA lickity-split, well, try another program.

This past year (and the one before) Coach told the students that he would (A) play more players than the past year due to the good, young talent coming in and (B) play a more up-tempo game because of depth and how that game suited the players he had. Next year, we will again have some good, young talent coming. I am sure the depth will be utilized and Duke will play a more up-tempo game. Right?:confused:

HK Dukie
03-18-2007, 01:05 AM
Carolina has no one in top 100 listed on scout.com for next year.

Anyone know about their recruits? Are they just not highly rated, or skipped by scout.com, or have a big class the next year?

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&pid=88&cfg=bb&yr=2007

dcarp23
03-18-2007, 03:40 AM
Carolina has no one in top 100 listed on scout.com for next year.

Anyone know about their recruits? Are they just not highly rated, or skipped by scout.com, or have a big class the next year?

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&pid=88&cfg=bb&yr=2007

They have no one coming in next year. They have three guys who might leave: Hansbrough, Lawson and Wright. If none leaves, watch out. If one leave, really good. If two leave, eh. If three leave, they are in trouble.

jimsumner
03-18-2007, 01:01 PM
"They have no one coming in next year."

Permit me a minor clarification. UNC will bring in no one from the h.s. class of 2007. However, they did redshirt one freshman this year, William Graves, a 6'6" forward from Greensboro. He was a top 100 recruit last season but is not projected as an immediate impact player.

Saratoga2
03-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Patterson would fit in well at Duke as he is a good kid, excellent student, and the style of PF/C we have been most successful developing (i.e. Brand, Boozer, Williams). My sense thusfar is that he is closest to HS senior Boozer in size/strength and skill set (i've seen him play on TV a couple of times-and am glad to be corrected by others who know more about his game). As of now, the only player I see him competing with, position wise, would be Lance Thomas, if Thomas were to grow or bulk up a bit more. And if he were to come and Josh were to stay (seems very unlikely but the scholarships are there) we would be unbelievably deep at all positions (if Nolan Smith plays some PG, which he did as a junior for one of the top HS teams in the nation), like considerably more so than even this year's UNC squad.

Even with Josh leaving we'd be looking at...

1st team
1 Paulus
2 Scheyer
3 Henderson
4 Singler
5 Patterson

2nd Team (all but Smith were already starters at times this year and could be imagined to interchange with my listed 1st team)
1 Smith
2 Nelson
3 McClure
4 Thomas
5 Zoubek

3rd Team
2/3 Pocius
3/4 King

The potential practice intensity is amazing and would benefit all of these kids emmensely, even if they didn't get a huge amount of PT in games (until later in their careers).

As one final note: Even if we were to lose McRoberts and not get Patterson, Thomas and Zoubek were not only Freshmen this year but young for their classes (btw, Ellington, Wright and Lawson are relatively old for their class and Hansborough is actually 16 months older than McRoberts-same class tho'). There is definite potential for one or both of them to seriously strengthen/grow/bulk up this summer. Were that to happen we'd still have a serious improvement in size over this year as both King and Singler are 6'8", Singler with hops and long arms (and Smith another good sized, long armed guard).

I'd love to have all 13 and be seriously scary, but even with either iteration of 12 or with "only" 11, it'll be a special squad. Any "fans" inclined to do so are gonna be really sorry if they jump ship now.

Go Lady Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My understanding of the size of King and Singler are 6'7" and 6'8" respectively whereas McRoberts in a real 6'10". Patterson at 6'8" is also an inside player but might have trouble competing with teams with big people inside. We have a big guy in Zoubek but he didn't get a lot of PT this year. I will feel a lot better if McRoberts stays. I think he still can show substantial improvement in his offensive game by getting a mid range jumper and also some post moves.

Dukebacker
03-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Dukebacker helped out by providing the following stats on PP:

"on scout.com, it shows Patterson at 6'8 234 pounds. A Lance Thomasish build."

Their heights may be the same, but the almost 20 pound difference (234 vs 215, per the GoDuke roster) makes a big difference. And who knows how much PP will weigh next year?

I actually had no clue how much Lance Thomas weighed...i was just giving a rough estimation. And if you look at PP pics...his body doesn't look to much different from Lances.

lavell12
03-18-2007, 07:12 PM
The reason Carolina has no recruits is because you are only allowed to have 12 or 13 scholarship players and they are currently maxed out.

ikiru36
03-18-2007, 07:56 PM
My understanding of the size of King and Singler are 6'7" and 6'8" respectively whereas McRoberts in a real 6'10". Patterson at 6'8" is also an inside player but might have trouble competing with teams with big people inside. We have a big guy in Zoubek but he didn't get a lot of PT this year. I will feel a lot better if McRoberts stays. I think he still can show substantial improvement in his offensive game by getting a mid range jumper and also some post moves.

I fully agree. I was probably incorrect to state that Duke would have an improvement in height if neither McRob nor Patterson were to be available. I was taking into account more PT for Zoubek however. Having Josh and/or Patterson would certainly be preferable, and I don't mean to underestimate how much we'd miss Josh's size and varied skills if he were to leave. We'd still have decent size though by many teams standards.

mjones723
03-19-2007, 12:07 AM
I actually had no clue how much Lance Thomas weighed...i was just giving a rough estimation. And if you look at PP pics...his body doesn't look to much different from Lances.

I saw PP at whatever football game he was here for **** year (UVA?) and i promise you he is much bigger than Lance.

Why is L-A-S-T censored????

kydevil
03-19-2007, 09:30 AM

I have seen PP in person and his build doesnt look to close to what Lance's resembles. Height is about right but PP has much more muscle.

throatybeard
03-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Coach Beilein was there too although he was there to watch another kid he is recruiting as well as for Patrick Patterson. Wonder if Coach K and Coach Beilein sat together like they did last time to discuss how to run the 1-3-1?

:D

Or how many three attempts is enough.

Remember when that was one of the persistent complaints? Not this year.

Duke12
03-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Check out the Patrick Patterson video on rivals.com or just Yahoo Patrick Pattterson college choices and follow the rivals site....your mouth will water

jimsumner
03-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Carolina is not maxed out on scholarships. They have 13 players on scholarship, including Graves. Rey Terry is a senior; Wes Miller gave up his schollie. Therefore, Roy Williams always had one scholarship to give this year and went after a handful of elite players, Kevin Love among them. He missed on those targets and elected not to sign a role player.

IceyTundra
03-20-2007, 03:02 PM
UNC will be fine. If Wright leaves, which most likely is going to happen, they still have Hansbrough (who is not leaving) and Thompson and Stepheson. Thompson could be a beast next year and come on like Costner did for State this year. Lawson could leave just given the fact that the draft this year is very weak at PG, but he will probably return. That means, UNC only loses Terry and Wright.

watzone
03-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Patterson is stronger than Lance was in HS. He has a powerful body and gets up quick. He is a dunking machine. I have seen the kid play many, many times.

jkidd31
03-20-2007, 04:09 PM
With that wingspan he looks like Elton.

I forgot that Huntington was the team OJ "the Mercenary" Mayo went to play for. He now has 6 high school state championships to his name. All jokes aside how many has he won? He was playing varsity is 7th or 8th grade.

ikiru36
03-20-2007, 04:41 PM
UNC will be fine. If Wright leaves, which most likely is going to happen, they still have Hansbrough (who is not leaving) and Thompson and Stepheson. Thompson could be a beast next year and come on like Costner did for State this year. Lawson could leave just given the fact that the draft this year is very weak at PG, but he will probably return. That means, UNC only loses Terry and Wright.

Time will definately tell (and it may depend partly upon how far they go this season) but most seem to think that Wright and Lawson will be leaving, and Hansborough honestly should (in my meaningless opinion anyways) leave, at least in terms of maximizing his NBA earning potential. He'll be 22 by the beginning of next season and he really couldn't be much more highly touted as a College player than he is right now. To me the age issue should be the biggest thing right now in his decision, but if he chose to return, I'd have to respect that (especially if he's one of those guys capable of graduating in 3 years). Also, don't underestimate the loss of Wes Miller, particularly if those others were to leave.

In any event, I'd rather focus on Duke, but UNC's squad next year may be fine or it may be one of those rare years when people expect Clemson to win at the D-Dome (though everyone knows, sadly, that Clemson will never let that happen!)

Go Lady Devils!!!!!!!!!!!Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!