PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs Kentucky

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jarhead
02-27-2007, 09:58 PM
The new board is great but it is lacking one important thing. It has not yet had a Duke vs Kentucky thread. You know. A thread in which we expound on the values of good old eastern North Carolina 'cue.

So, let's get started with this item in today's News and Observer:
http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/547701.html

The item announces a class at the North Carolina Museum of History at 5 E. Edenton St in Raleigh. There is a $10 registration fee, but that includes a barbecue dinner. How about some volunteers going to the class and reporting back to us. Registration closes tomorrow, Wednesday, so call 919-807-7968 first thing tomorrow morning.

ricks68
02-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Don't we usually get into this right after "the season" officially ends for everyone else but us? I've been saving comments regarding my last visit to Honey Monk's when I was in town for the Carolina game until then. We still have business to take care of that is just a tad more important at this time, don't we? I think both our teams need our undivided attention at this juncture of the season. (If ya'll don't agree, however, I might just be able to squeeze just a little BBQ discussion in.)

ricks

JBDuke
02-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Don't we usually get into this right after "the season" officially ends for everyone else but us? I've been saving comments regarding my last visit to Honey Monk's when I was in town for the Carolina game until then. We still have business to take care of that is just a tad more important at this time, don't we? I think both our teams need our undivided attention at this juncture of the season. (If ya'll don't agree, however, I might just be able to squeeze just a little BBQ discussion in.)

ricks

Dude, it's ALWAYS appropriate to discuss BBQ!!! I don't care if Duke's in the championship game and it's tipping off in 10 minutes.

And, btw, I had some pretty good 'que just last night. For those of you stuck here in NOVA and struggling to find good 'que, give Willard's in Chantilly a try. When you order, make sure you just ask for more North Carolina sauce, and no tomato-ey junk.

Plus, Willard's has sweet tea, which you know is hard to find amongst all these Yankees.

wilson
02-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Bill Ellis Barbecue (or just plain Bill's) in Wilson (hey, nice town ;) ). $9 for all-you-can-eat buffet and a drink. They do a full pig every day, along with chopped pork, fried chicken & fish, and excellent veggies of all stripes, from good ol' green beans to great collards to sweet potatoes. There's also an additional rotating "meat of the day," such as chicken livers (yum!) on Tuesday. Definitely worth a trip; my friends & I drive 40 minutes or so from Greenville (which has a few 'cue joints of its own) just to go there.

DukeDevilsBB
02-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Best BBQ in america is at B's Barbeque in Greenville, NC...It just doesn't get any better than that!!

cwiley
02-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Best BBQ in america is at B's Barbeque in Greenville, NC...It just doesn't get any better than that!!

Gotta agree with that.

allenmurray
02-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Allen and Son's, on Highway 86 at Mt. Sinai Rd. (midway between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough). They still exclusively use Hickory to cook on, none of that wimpy propane stuff. It is the cause of both my High Blood Pressure and elevated cholesterol. If it kills me I will die a well-fed man.

watzone
02-28-2007, 10:19 AM
I think Jim Sumner works for the museum of history ... maybe I can get dibs on the leftovers. I am headed to Bullocks in a few minutes, and while Bullocks is good, better Que can be found.

Being in the City of Durham, Bullocks is unable to pit cook their Que. There is a law preventing it which includes Durham County.

allenmurray
02-28-2007, 10:23 AM
If the law supposes that, then the law is a ***, a idiot! Mr. Bumble, Oliver Twist.

CMS2478
02-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Well, I am good friends with the family that owns this place so I have to throw a plug in for them. McCall's BBQ and Seafood in Clayton and Goldsboro is really good too. They have a great buffet (particulary at night) if your ever in those areas.

CMS2478
02-28-2007, 10:26 AM
is anyone else getting hungry???

Jarhead
02-28-2007, 12:28 PM
This is the time of year for a 'cue thread, because folks are getting ready to go to various tournaments and need advice on finding good bbq, not that I can enjoy it, being on a strict non-fat diet. Somebody can eat my share, and let me know how good it is. I'm into seafood now, really like that salmon stuff, and mahimahi, and tilapia, but I miss the good stuff.

DukeDevilsBB
02-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Man, I sure could go for some B's BBQ right now.

Parkers BBQ and Bill Ellis BBQ in Wilson is also pretty good stuff.

I lived in Kansas City for a few years and those boys out there think they know what real BBQ is. They have no idea IMO. It isn't bad but it doesn't hold a candle to NC style 'que!!!!

killerleft
02-28-2007, 01:01 PM
For those heading west on I-40/85 towards Greensboro and the Women's ACC tournament, BBQ and Ribs Co. at the HWY. 87 exit in Graham has some excellent Q, puppies, sides, and banana pudding. Take a right towards town, it's just a 150 yds. They cook eastern style. My wife loves their fried chicken, too.

DukeDevilsBB
02-28-2007, 01:05 PM
For those heading west on I-40/85 towards Greensboro and the Women's ACC tournament, BBQ and Ribs Co. at the HWY. 87 exit in Graham has some excellent Q, puppies, sides, and banana pudding. Take a right towards town, it's just a 150 yds. They cook eastern style. My wife loves their fried chicken, too.

The BBQ and Ribs Co. here in Chesapeake, VA has good ribs but AWFUL BBQ.

Olympic Fan
02-28-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm an Eastern North Carolina guy born and bred, but I'm not a big fan of our ubiquitous chopped pig. Give me Bullock's sliced or a chunky pulled 'que any time.

Also, my personal experience with the 'Que place that's just off 85 in Graham has been extremely negative -- maybe the worst stuff I've ever hand. I would suggest going a mile off the highways to Hursey's (you can't miss the signs). That's far, far superior stiff.

Richard Berg
02-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Allen & Sons is as far as I'll drive regularly. Too bad Goldsboro, Wilson, Greenville, etc aren't closer.

For something a little more upscale, Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill is amazing. I'd forgotten how good it was until a friend of a friend dragged me there last week.

watzone
02-28-2007, 05:42 PM
One good thing about Hursey's (which Oly mentioned) is that the guys who run it are Duke fans and have been going to the games for years. Inside stuff;)

I think you wer talking of A & M grill in Alamance County. I agree that it is terrible que, but some folks like it.

Bob Green
02-28-2007, 06:10 PM
This thread is making me hungry. The only bbq I get is what I make myself on the backyard Weber. It's good...but it's not that good. I've got a decent recipe, but in the end it's just a substitute for the real stuff. Everytime I return to NC, my Dad picks me up at RDU and we head straight to a bbq restaurant.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

willywoody
02-28-2007, 07:12 PM
i've never had any bbq in n.c. that beats mccabes' bbq in manning s.c it's just off i-95. vinegar based sauce with a good woody taste to the pork. they also have hash which you usually don't find up north (carolina that is). don't confuse it with d&h bbq which is even closer to 95 or you will be disappointed. my family lives in orangeburg, sc which has at least 6 different bbq joints and we still drive hours round trip to manning for their 'q' for special occasions.

we've got a new rash of bbq places here in charleston. the best being fiery ron's home team bbq in west ashley. i don't know what kind of wood they're smokin' but it will knock you on your butt. didn't like their sauce that much though. think it was some kinda yankee red sauce. i plan on bring some oif their 'q' home sunday for the big game and slathering some scotts' sauce on it.

and while i like vinegar based sauces best, mustard can be mighty fine, too, if it's done right.

willywoody
02-28-2007, 07:14 PM
This thread is making me hungry. The only bbq I get is what I make myself on the backyard Weber. It's good...but it's not that good. I've got a decent recipe, but in the end it's just a substitute for the real stuff. Everytime I return to NC, my Dad picks me up at RDU and we head straight to a bbq restaurant.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

this might help:

http://www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com/

mph
02-28-2007, 07:24 PM
I appreciate good BBQ from every style, but the purest form of the art is beef brisket and nobody does that better than Kreuz Market in Lockhart, TX. For ribs, I've never had any better than Angelo's in Forth Worth.

Great BBQ will make you forget BBQ sauce even exists. Just smoke and meat.

mph
02-28-2007, 07:30 PM

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

The best culinary purchase I've ever make was a simple side firebox indirect smoker. You can get one at Lowes or Home Depot for less than $160.oo last I checked. I've smoked, brisket, ribs, pork shoulder, turkey, and fish.

Along those lines, if anyone wants to exchange recipies. This would be a good place to get started. I have a brisket dry rub I've used for years.

Indoor66
02-28-2007, 07:51 PM
One good thing about Hursey's (which Oly mentioned) is that the guys who run it are Duke fans and have been going to the games for years. Inside stuff;)

I think you wer talking of A & M grill in Alamance County. I agree that it is terrible que, but some folks like it.

I don't know if Ole N.C. Bar B Q is still open at North Duke Mall on N. Duke St. If so, Faye & Chester Heath have served great 'que for years and are life-long Dukies. They cook it and chop it on site. Also, great chicken. Give it a try.

Carrie
03-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I lived in Kansas City for a few years and those boys out there think they know what real BBQ is. They have no idea IMO. It isn't bad but it doesn't hold a candle to NC style 'que!!!!

I dunno... my first bbq exposure was to the NC style, but I like Gates sauce quite a bit. Their problem here (in the KC area) is that they tend to use sliced beef instead of pulled pork, and it always has too much fat on it (I don't mind my meat being bad for me, but I don't want to SEE it). I'm also a big big fan of the chopped burnt end sandwiches at Jack Stack (which also has the best cheesy corn anywhere). Don't like Bryant's much.

For my money, the best Q in the country is at Henry's in Greenville, S.C. (Though I have had a few in Western N.C. that were pretty good as well).

Mmm... barbecue. Now I'm hungry.

Carrie

JBDuke
03-01-2007, 12:53 PM
I appreciate good BBQ from every style, but the purest form of the art is beef brisket and nobody does that better than Kreuz Market in Lockhart, TX. For ribs, I've never had any better than Angelo's in Forth Worth.

Great BBQ will make you forget BBQ sauce even exists. Just smoke and meat.

Dude, you're just so ... WRONG. Not that beef brisket isn't tasty - if it's done right, it's very good, but it's NOT barbeque. For that, you have to have pig meat.

ricks68
03-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Here we go again. Ya'll should have known not to rile me up here. Look in "the book". The author alludes to Kreuz Market as being the best of the best. I ate again at Honey Monk's and it was great, but Kreuz still has it beat. And since Kreuz added pork ribs just a couple of years ago, I've yet to taste better. BBQ is not just pig, by the way. Check up on the many historical text's on the matter. Also, I found Allen and Son's to be tasteless and overcooked. The "coarse chopped with outside brown" at Honey Monk's (Lexington#1, for the uninitiated) I think is the supreme accomplishment of NC style BBQ, but until you've tasted the shoulder clod, links, or ribs at Kreuz's, you've not tasted all there is about BBQ. But then, I'm just a Miami boy that grew up eating our home grown Florida avocados weighing 3 lbs. or more and Hayden mangoes from our own trees---in addition to dallying in smoked Snook and Stone Crab claws that had to be at least 1/2 pound apiece.

ricks:)

Jim3k
03-21-2007, 08:14 PM
In the Contra Costa Times today, there is a review of Killer Ribs by Nancy Davidson. The reviewer, Denise Lowry, likes the book as a BBQ joint guide, but not for the recipes which she says are incomplete.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/living/food/16945592.htm

If Lowry is right that the recipes are incomplete, then the author Davidson should be barbequed herself, since nothing would turn out as she described.

Cameron
03-21-2007, 09:57 PM
WTF? Lol, this is blunt as hell, Jim.

rthomas
03-22-2007, 09:15 AM
The author misses entirely if she considers ribs the same as barbecue. Don't get me wrong, I love ribs, I love the sticky rubs and the red sauce. BUT that ain't barbecue.

willywoody
03-22-2007, 09:35 AM
http://www.scbarbeque.com/History.html

rthomas
03-22-2007, 09:51 AM
I love those pictures showing the Native Americans making barbecue out of lizards. And the picture documents that Native Americans made pork and beans for the first side dish for barbecue. I wonder if they made slaw too.

rthomas
05-24-2007, 06:39 PM
What are ya'll doing for memorial weekend? Do you make your own cue? Recipes?

I put this in a separate thread becasue the other D. v. K. thread is about an event in the fall - this thread pertains to Memorial day/weekend. I live in WV where barbecue is basically roadkill with ketchup. Sorta joking...Roadkill is legal to eat in WV, there is no real cue, and where I grew up (SC/NC), brunswick stew was originally made with all the left over possum, pig, goat etc so its basically cue too.

Anyway, I have to been trying to perfect make my on eastern NC barbecue. I use pork butts or shoulder, on my gas grill for several hours at low heat, basted with sauce (below) - then once pretty done I put the butts in a charcoal grill with hickory/(hopefully) apple chips to smoke it for about 45-60 minutes. Then back on the low heat gas grill until done.

I use Dennis Rogers sauce for basting and for after chopping the pork:
1 gallon cider vinegar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons red pepper
3 tablespoons red pepper flakes
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

What about you?

killerleft
11-28-2007, 12:50 AM
For anybody working downtown in Greensboro, the cafe inside Renaissance Plaza (N. Elm/Bellemeade) serves a great barbeque sandwich for lunch. Once a week they offer a barbeque plate. I've had the sandwich two days in a row ($3.00), and would make it three except my wife finally got some more deli turkey for my sack lunch.

Cameron
11-28-2007, 01:04 AM
What?

DukeCO2009
11-28-2007, 01:07 AM
What?

^What he said^

Johnboy
11-28-2007, 01:14 AM
Someone introduce the new guys to DBR. . . .

OK, I will. If you happen to see a thread entitled "Duke v. Kentucky" you should be able to safely assume that the topic will be barbecue, and it will be On-Topic. This tradition has a long pedigree on DBR.

It arose several years ago when someone (might have been Jason Evans) complained about threadjacking, saying he'd see a thread entitled "Duke v. Kentucky" but the posts would be about barbecue. I immediately posted a thread about barbecue in that manner and the rest is history.

See the "similar threads" below.

tele
11-28-2007, 02:17 AM
I have to admit to being somewhat confused by this op myself. It started out promisingly, then veered off into something about a bird in a bag, not even chicken in the rough. Made me wonder if those sandwiches even had slaw on them...

willywoody
11-28-2007, 08:42 AM
i've never understood this as i've never heard mention of kentucky bbq except here. it is not even a blip in the american cuisine radar.

aro24
11-28-2007, 09:05 AM
I work in downtown G'boro on N Elm...but not familiar with this cafe....where exactly is it??? I am always game for good BBQ !

A-Ro24

killerleft
11-28-2007, 03:43 PM
LOL. Been working hard, and forgot this thread. aro24, the Right Touch catering bunch have a small cafe on the first floor. It's the tall building on the same block with the new Center City Park. The barbeque sandwich has a good slaw on it. Hickory-smoked, tastes a little more Eastern NC style to me. Main entrance, go past the elevators and hang a left and there you are.

If you walk past the cafe to the end of the hall, knock on the glass door and I'll come help you eat your sandwich.

Cameron
11-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Newbies

Please never call an internet typer on an on-line message board a "newbie," as if you are a God for being a registered cyber member longer. Lol :D. Who cares.

If we are going to have an internet p*ssing contest, then I would assume my 300 some more posts would put me on top. 68 posts is pretty weak. I win.

[/sarcasm]

Jarhead
11-28-2007, 04:23 PM
It's just code for bbq discussions, and goes back several years on the DBR boards. Most of the threads of the past are loaded with bbq info, and how to find good bbq, anywhere. Go to the DBR archives, and enjoy the reading.

TillyGalore
11-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Please never call an internet typer on an on-line message board a "newbie," as if you are a God for being a registered cyber member longer. Lol :D. Who cares.

If we are going to have an internet p*ssing contest, then I would assume my 300 some more posts would put me on top. 68 posts is pretty weak. I win.

[/sarcasm]

Cameron, with 300 plus posts you should know by now what the topic really is. [sarcasm]

Seriousl,y I forget what this means until I open thread and am reminded the topic is really bbq, which I am now craving. Sassaphras, I can't get my hands on any for a couple of days. :(

RelativeWays
11-28-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm from Greensboro. Please do not hold this thread against my people.

Jim3k
11-28-2007, 10:00 PM

[/sarcasm]

I know you are being in semi good humor here, but FYI, Johnboy has been a poster for at least ten years. His numbers on the current edition of the board may not match you, but he's been in on the Duke v. Kentucky thing since forever.

Cameron
11-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Jim3k:

Oh, believe me, I was purely joking about the "I have more posts" comment. I despise people who believe they are amazing, almost Jesus-like fans because of their post counts. That's just stupid. But, I also hate the word "newbie." Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine:)

devildeac
02-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Here is a new joint for y'all to consider in addition to the countless others we have discussed over the years: The Pit. This was reviewed in the 2/1/08 n&o. Hope the link works(I am new at this): www.thepit-raleigh.com

Hope I have not violated any posting rules with this.

willywoody
02-03-2008, 12:14 AM
beef brisket, what kind of yankee..... i'll stop now. only eat BBQ in SC, otherwise you may become infected with the notion that what is served in Kentucky is even BBQ. next thing you're gonna tell me that i should eat my chili with noodles.

there, that should fan the BBQ flames a Little.;)

hc5duke
02-03-2008, 02:54 AM
beef brisket, what kind of yankee....

Dems fightin words in Texas...

devildeac
02-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Here is the review from the n&o. Has anyone visited this place yet? Anyone remember (Ed) Mitchell's restaurant from Wilson, NC?

http://www.newsobserver.com/1132/story/916742.html

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2008, 11:45 AM
beef brisket, what kind of yankee..... i'll stop now.

My friend Ed Mitchell has won numerous national titles for his Q. I am so glad he has resurfaced. I miss his Mitchell's restaurant that used to be in Wilson, NC. (Like the Rat mentioned in the Status thread this morning, it succumbed to tax problems.) I'm looking forward to feasting on Ed's Q and ribs, along with DevilDeac and our lovely wives, soon! I think his ribs are even better than his Q.

I love beef brisket. I have a great recipe if anyone's interested (I got it from my brother). The most important thing about brisket, though, is don't eat it the day you cook it, eat it the next day. You cook it, slice it, refrigerate it overnight, and then reheat it and eat it. Don't know why, but it tastes much better that way, and is also more tender.

willywoody
02-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Dems fightin words in Texas...

i know i was just joshin' with everyone. i'm sure the q at this place will be good from what i've read.

killerleft
02-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up, devildeac! A co-worker and her husband are from Lucama, near Wilson, and have mentioned Mitchell's as having great Q. I'll let them know, and look forward to trying it out myself.

Q - North Carolina does it better!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2008, 01:08 PM
For those who plan to attend the Duke - Wake game later this month in WS, I can recommend a great BBQ not far from the Joel. Don't let the name of the place fool you; their food is good and expertly prepared for this genre. Check out Pig N Out on University Parkway (head north from the Joel). Their BBQ is a mild, non greasy chopped delight. The sauce is a red vinegar type with some spices which compliment the chopped BBQ and don't overwhelm it. Slaw is available in two types: white (mayo base) and red (BBQ slaw). I recommend either but the BBQ slaw is especially fine. For those who think heaven has banana pudding, you'll love what they make at this place! It's a custard base (no instant or runny stuff here) with real meringue. If banana pudding's not your thing, try to strawberry cake.

Pig N Out
5954 University Parkway
Winston-Salem (North Carolina) 27105
(336) 377-3215
Heading north, it's on the left in the same shopping center with Big Lots.

Uncle Drew
02-03-2008, 03:17 PM
For those who plan to attend the Duke - Wake game later this month in WS, I can recommend a great BBQ not far from the Joel. Don't let the name of the place fool you; their food is good and expertly prepared for this genre. Check out Pig N Out on University Parkway (head north from the Joel). Their BBQ is a mild, non greasy chopped delight. The sauce is a red vinegar type with some spices which compliment the chopped BBQ and don't overwhelm it. Slaw is available in two types: white (mayo base) and red (BBQ slaw). I recommend either but the BBQ slaw is especially fine. For those who think heaven has banana pudding, you'll love what they make at this place! It's a custard base (no instant or runny stuff here) with real meringue. If banana pudding's not your thing, try to strawberry cake.

Pig N Out
5954 University Parkway
Winston-Salem (North Carolina) 27105
(336) 377-3215
Heading north, it's on the left in the same shopping center with Big Lots.

Yeah I'll be at the game. When I get my tickets from my brother I'll let you know where we are sitting so you can come up and catch a nose bleed with us.

As for Pig N Out I can feel my cholesterol rising already

jjasper0729
02-03-2008, 03:23 PM
imho, it's not barbecue unless it's from eastern nc, cooked on the pull behind cooker all day and when ready you go up to the cooker and pull off what you want. whatever is left after the first pass is chopped up with just a touch of vinegar based sauce on it to go with your cole slaw, potato salad, green beans, baked beans (yes, both) and then a yellow cake with chocolate icing at the end.

outside of a pig pickin' at my cousin's house, the best barbecue i've had in the triangle area is ole time barbecue on western. no offense to any of the others, but it's just the best and closest i've come to the eastern style of being at home

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2008, 03:28 PM
imho, it's not barbecue unless it's from eastern nc, cooked on the pull behind cooker all day and when ready you go up to the cooker and pull off what you want. whatever is left after the first pass is chopped up with just a touch of vinegar based sauce on it to go with your cole slaw, potato salad, green beans, baked beans (yes, both) and then a yellow cake with chocolate icing at the end.

outside of a pig pickin' at my cousin's house, the best barbecue i've had in the triangle area is ole time barbecue on western. no offense to any of the others, but it's just the best and closest i've come to the eastern style of being at home
I think you'd be pleased with the BBQ at Pig N Out. Real wood is used for the cooking..... you can smell it as you approach. I would not recommend unless it's worthy. And yes, I am familiar with Eastern and Western NC styles. (Grew up in WS; lived in Durham over 40 yrs.) This BBQ is so good you won't be able to classify it!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2008, 04:03 PM
I was not looking at the calendar when I made a recommendation for a restaurant the evening Duke plays Wake Forest in WS. The game is on a Sunday evening. Pig N Out, like many such restaurants, is closed on Sunday's. There are some restaurants open near the Joel, but the great banana pudding will have to be sampled another time. My apologies for the confusion!

Perhaps you can make up for the disappointment with a trip through the drive through window of the Krespy Kreme store on Stratford Rd.

duketaylor
03-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Any decent/good/great BBQ places in Charlotte for this weekend? Please help. Thanks in advance.

roywhite
03-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Any decent/good/great BBQ places in Charlotte for this weekend? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Can't speak with any personal experience about Charlotte BBQ, but have recently come across an interesting web-site that features local restaurants..
roadfood.com For example, if you search North Carolina restaurants, it comes up with about 30 places, many of which naturally turn out to be BBQ joints. It's also a good resource for travelling and looking for places to eat other than national chains.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-12-2008, 08:14 AM

Alas, no Smithfield's Chicken & BBQ in Charlotte :( but I'm sure you'll find some good "western NC style" Q there.

BCGroup
03-12-2008, 08:18 AM
No personal recommendations, but here are some links:

http://www.practical-barbecue-grill-guide.com/barbecue-grill-charlotte.html
http://charlotte.citysearch.com/bestof/winners/2005/barbecue_food
http://cityguide.aol.com/charlotte/bestbarbecue

hokieDEVIL83
03-12-2008, 10:22 AM
My first post and it involves BBQ and a Kentucky fan of all things, WOW!

As a born and raised resident of Charlotte, I feel like I could recomend a ton of places. However, I will only tell you the one place you HAVE to try (IMO).

Macs Speedshop (on South Blvd)

heres the link: http://www.macspeedshop.com/

And might I HIGHLY recomend the beef brisket sandwhich w/ mac & cheese!

Good luck, let me know what you think!

CLT Devil
03-12-2008, 10:49 AM
I concur with HokieDevil. Mac's Speed Shop on S. Blvd is the best Charlotte has to offer. They slow cook the meat and serve it a couple of styles. I ate Lexingon BBQ on the way to the game last Sat, hard to beat that. Make sure you try the green bean carrerole and the mac-n-cheese at Mac's.

If you're looking for some good home cooking try the Coffee Cup, The Dish or Mert's.

Indoor66
03-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Take the time to drive to Lexington - a little ways up I-85. Go to Stamey's of to the Courthouse Cafe. Learn to live large!

ricks68
04-10-2008, 03:07 AM
Ha Ha. Beat everyone else to it!!!! Nothing else to say about it. In fact, don't even really want to talk about it. But had to be the first since the season is now done. Now I will return to lurking mode.

ricks :p

Johnboy
04-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Funny you should bring this up. I had some of the best 'cue I've ever had at a private party/pig pickin' last weekend. Homemade sauce with the pig laid out on the grill. It had been prepared over gas, but he'd added hickory smoking chips that actually seemed to work well. The sauce was the stuff, though - just the right combination of vinegar, spiciness and sweetness. Good pig.

weezie
04-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Ozzie's brisket recipe was superb!

DukieInKansas
04-10-2008, 09:35 AM

Can you share it? I'm a heathen who has actually never cooked a brisket. I just get others to do it for me. :)

DukeUsul
04-10-2008, 11:37 AM
We recently moved to SW Durham from Cary. I finally made it over to Allen & Son in Chappa Heeya. Excellent. I am very impressed. The smoke flavor comes right through and the sauce was excellent. Loved the brunswick stew. My wife loves the Friday night special banana pudding.

Is it good or bad that we're only about 5 miles away?

allenmurray
04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
We recently moved to SW Durham from Cary. I finally made it over to Allen & Son in Chappa Heeya. Excellent. I am very impressed. The smoke flavor comes right through and the sauce was excellent. Loved the brunswick stew. My wife loves the Friday night special banana pudding.

Is it good or bad that we're only about 5 miles away?

The ribs are great as well, though they only have them certain nights.

Given that you are only five miles away I would reccomend getting your cholesterol checked regularly (like maybe 4 times a week). Go ahead and have your doc put you on blood pressure medication now, as a precautionary measure, even if you do not have high blood pressure.

Allen & Son BBQ rocks!

superdave
04-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Has anyone tried the BBQ Joint lately? Had some the other day it's quite good.

I'd be interested in a good brisket recipe as well!

jjasper0729
04-10-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm going to claim East Coast Bias. 'Ole Time on Western in Raleigh is the best that I can find so far (short of my cousin doing his own on his cooker all day before the pig-pickin' starts)

DukeUsul
04-10-2008, 02:47 PM
The ribs are great as well, though they only have them certain nights.

Given that you are only five miles away I would reccomend getting your cholesterol checked regularly (like maybe 4 times a week). Go ahead and have your doc put you on blood pressure medication now, as a precautionary measure, even if you do not have high blood pressure.

Allen & Son BBQ rocks!

Agreed on the ribs. I had them the last time I went. They are very tangy and spicy. Their rib sauce is a lot like the pork bbq sauce, except it does have some tomato base in it - but it's still got a ton of vinegar. It was nice that it wasn't overly sweet like you get at most chain restaurants these days.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-10-2008, 02:57 PM

Thanks Weezie. I'll tell my mom that you liked it!

Since someone has asked, I'll copy the recipe here. Oh, this is for beef brisket, just to eliminate any question about that. I find it funny that it is on the main board in the Duke-Kentucky thread.:)

Val's Brisket:
Have butcher cut off excess fat when you buy the meat.
Rinse with cold water
Take one package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix and smear it over one side of meat.
Open another package and spread it over the other side.
Lay in pan fat side down.
Add water to pan until there is approx. 1/8 inch in pan
Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
Cook at 350 for 3 hours.
Open carefully to avoid steam, stick fork into meat. If tender, remove from oven. If not tender, cook another 30 minutes and check again.
When done, open up and let steam out.
Take meat out of pan and put it in a container. We use a Tupperware type plastic container.
Add water to pan to make gravy - all that onion soup mix, meat drippings and bits and pieces of brisket make the gravy!
Pour a little gravy over the meat, cover it and place in the refrigerator overnight to cool. Put the rest of the gravy in a separate container and put that in the refrigerator too.
Slice the meat when cool. I use an electric slicer. Slices should be ~3/16" thick (no more than 1/4 "). You must slice the meat across the grain. If you slice it with the grain it will be tough and stringy - you won't like it and all your effort is wasted.
After slicing, put the meat back in a pan, pour the rest of the gravy over it, and heat in oven at 350 until hot.
Serve and enjoy!
We like white rice with the brisket. Be sure to pour the onion soup gravy over the rice too!

devildeac
04-10-2008, 04:43 PM

Since someone has asked, I'll copy the recipe here. Oh, this is for beef brisket, just to eliminate any question about that. I find it funny that it is on the main board in the Duke-Kentucky thread.:)

Think Ed Mitchell (aka The Pitmaster) would be interested in this recipe:D ? If you don't get the AD job, you could always help him out in the kitchen;) .

OZZIE4DUKE
04-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Think Ed Mitchell (aka The Pitmaster) would be interested in this recipe:D ? If you don't get the AD job, you could always help him out in the kitchen;) .

No no no. The restaurant business is far too tough for me! He might like the recipe, although as you can see, there is nothing magic about it, unless you have "stock" in Lipton Soup!

g4orce
04-10-2008, 05:52 PM
With all respect to Ozzie, since I havent had his, the best brisket that has passed these lips comes from a joint over in Raleigh, about 1 mile off the beltline on Tryon Rd. The guys who run the place are Texas natives, with the head chef having worked the pit for a BBQ place in San Antonio and is also culinarily trained from J&W.

Anyway, once you go you will be hooked. The name is Holy Smokes, and as the name suggests, all the meats are smoked slow good. Here is the link if anyone is interested http://www.holysmokesnc.com/

I'm an eastern NC kinda guy, in terms of BBQ, but this is heavenly.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-10-2008, 07:07 PM
With all respect to Ozzie, since I havent had his

It's not mine, it is my mother's recipe. And it's not so much in the super secret ingredient (onion soup), but the cooking, cooling and reheating that is the secret to great brisket. And leftovers, if there are any, are great the next day (even for lunch in a sandwhich, just nuke it first!)

Jarhead
04-10-2008, 10:32 PM

Why is that, OZ? I think beef brisket has been discussed in the Duke vs Kentucky thread before.

ricks68
04-10-2008, 11:07 PM
IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE! (What have I done?)

ricks

Lavabe
04-10-2008, 11:13 PM
It's not mine, it is my mother's recipe. And it's not so much in the super secret ingredient (onion soup), but the cooking, cooling and reheating that is the secret to great brisket. And leftovers, if there are any, are great the next day (even for lunch in a sandwhich, just nuke it first!)

For the longest time, I mangled brisket until my mom said pretty much the same thing: let it sit in the fridge overnight. Works like a charm.

While here in Georgia, I have taken advantage of the Vidalia onions. They work very nicely with brisket. Never tried Lipton's... I like the Vidalias instead (and if DevilAlumna is around, I'd go with Walla Wallas).

To each his own ... but keep it in the fridge overnight!!

Cheers,
Lavabe

rthomas
05-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Hillary last night speaking in Raleigh:

ON BARBECUE: "I've been all across this state -- listening, talking to you, and yes, eating a little barbecue from time to time. The only issue I won't take a position on in this race is whether I prefer east or west. Some issues are just too controversial."

How wishy-washy is that? No way, I'm voting for someone who can't make up their mind on something so basic and fundamental as barbecue.

YmoBeThere
05-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Eastern NC barbecue for me...has any candidate committed yet?

Jarhead
05-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Hillary last night speaking in Raleigh:

ON BARBECUE: "I've been all across this state -- listening, talking to you, and yes, eating a little barbecue from time to time. The only issue I won't take a position on in this race is whether I prefer east or west. Some issues are just too controversial."

How wishy-washy is that? No way, I'm voting for someone who can't make up their mind on something so basic and fundamental as barbecue.
Customarily, BBQ discussions belong on the main board, but Clinton's weak statement on BBQ puts your post properly in the public policy category. It shows how much she is out of touch with things. Good call, rt.

prefan21
05-03-2008, 02:28 PM
She probably thinks Texas Pete is from Texas. Shameful.

devildeac
08-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Poll skewing time.

Vote early, vote often:D

http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/food/poll/3337163/?show_poll=1

OZZIE4DUKE
08-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Poll skewing time.

Vote early, vote often:D

http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/food/poll/3337163/?show_poll=1

How can they not include Ed Mithchel's Pit Master in Raleigh? All those folks voting for Parker's don't know what good is.

toughbuff1
08-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Parker's is good, but Holt Lake BBQ in Smithfield is the best.

devildeac
08-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Parker's is good, but Holt Lake BBQ in Smithfield is the best.

How about it, Ozzie, have you heard of this place?

Richard Berg
08-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Allen & Son only registering 1%? Heathens.

Parker's isn't even the best Q in Wilson. (Bill's is).

DukeUsul
08-08-2008, 11:14 AM
We recently discovered Allen & Son and are in love. Guess I'll have to try a few of these others. Looks like Hog Heaven is doing well, and by their menu, appear to be cheaper than Allen & Son (my only complaint there is the prices).

duketaylor
08-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Anybody been to C & A's in Sunbury? I'm heading to OBX Sunday and may detour that direction to load up for the week. Any other recommendations for extreme NE NC? Any decent 'Cue places on OBX?

Indoor66
08-08-2008, 11:28 AM
We recently discovered Allen & Son and are in love. Guess I'll have to try a few of these others. Looks like Hog Heaven is doing well, and by their menu, appear to be cheaper than Allen & Son (my only complaint there is the prices).

Allen & Son have three locations (http://www.ibiblio.org/ch-scene/bbq/allenandson.html): Chapel Hill, Pittsboro and Graham.

Indoor66
08-08-2008, 11:40 AM
This site (http://www.ibiblio.org/ch-scene/bbq/) reviews BBQ restaurants.

bleeddukeblue
08-08-2008, 11:47 AM
I live in Lexington, NC and we have to best Bar BQ in the World!!!!!

Teton Jack
08-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Sorry, fellas, the best barbecue is from Kansas City and second best is from Memphis. This hard for me to say being NC born and raised, but it's the truth. Worst is Texas.

devildeac
08-08-2008, 12:17 PM

Haven't been to Allen and Son recently but it is pit cooked daily over wood so I imagine that is part of the extra cost and it is REALLY good:D.

devildeac
08-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Anybody been to C & A's in Sunbury? I'm heading to OBX Sunday and may detour that direction to load up for the week. Any other recommendations for extreme NE NC? Any decent 'Cue places on OBX?

Hey, Chuck,

No knowledge about C&A's but the Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC has had rave reviews for years. You will have to look that one up as we have never been there but several reviewers I have read over the years have said it is well worth a trip out of the way to purchase some Q. There's always a SCNB somewhere (that's Smithfield Chicken and Barbecue:D) nearby in eastern NC;). Don't know about the OBZ and Q. Have a great trip and hit a few in the ocean for me:o:D.

devildeac
08-08-2008, 12:25 PM

I thought there was a NC BBQ festival recently and western Q finished 2nd to eastern Q;).

DukeUsul
08-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Haven't been to Allen and Son recently but it is pit cooked daily over wood so I imagine that is part of the extra cost and it is REALLY good:D.

True. I love the natural smokey flavor.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-08-2008, 01:46 PM
How about it, Ozzie, have you heard of this place?

Holt Lake Q is good, as is their fried chicken and fried shrimp. It is not quite a vinegary as Smithfield's. I'll go by both restaurants twice today - on the way to and from the CCJC this evening.

Jarhead
08-08-2008, 02:16 PM
You mean that stuff with ketchup in the sauce? I'll bet you even put ketchup on your scrambled eggs. Yuck!

devilish
08-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Ken's in LA is the best on that list.

Also Parker's in Wilson and Greenville are not the same company.

DevilDan
08-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I admit when I saw Duke vs. Kentucky, I was planning a different post, butttt ... this is an oldie, but we had Stamey's BBQ in Greensboro, and everytody flocked to it ....

I've been gone for over 35 years, but I wonder how they stack up against all the top places on the list ? Help me ! Inquiring minds want to know !

Also, I vaguely remember a place in Rockingham that was incredible ...

killerleft
08-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Allen & Son have three locations (http://www.ibiblio.org/ch-scene/bbq/allenandson.html): Chapel Hill, Pittsboro and Graham.

Unless they have reopened somewhere nearby recently, the Allen & Son Graham location just over the Haw River Bridge on Hwy. 54 has been closed for a long while. Maybe 15 years or more. The upside to this is UNC sports fans have one less place to get BBQ on Saturdays.

Wonder how old these reviews are?

OZZIE4DUKE
08-08-2008, 04:20 PM
I admit when I saw Duke vs. Kentucky, I was planning a different post, butttt ...

It is a long standing tradition, and decree by J, B and J, that threads labeled Duke vs. Kentucky shall be about BBQ and will always be on topic. Newbies sometimes get confused!

ricks68
08-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Well, here we go:

One thing that doesn't seem to change about this never-ending popular topic has been the preponderance of uneducated individuals that flood the boards once the "Duke vs. Kentucky" topic rears its head. Just because one has eaten some BBQ in the past, it doesn't mean that they have now acquired the means to adequately evaluate the merits of what they have eaten vs. other BBQ.

I must say that I was offended by the previous comment by one individual on this board that stated that the worst BBQ is in Texas. It's just different than what you were expecting. In Texas, we emphasize the actual flavor of the meat that was BBQ'd, not the sauce that disguises it.

Another comment: Even at Allen & Son, where I tasted possibly the worst BBQ I have ever experienced (sauce or no sauce), there was a very, very large book sitting on the table for all to see that has detailed reviews of the established supposedly good BBQ places in the country by a recognized expert in the field. In the book, Allen & Son was listed in a small blurb as a good BBQ place. However, in the front of the book, and also later on in the book, as an illustration of the very best that BBQ can be, was an extensive review with extensive commentary (including pictures) on Kreuz Market in Lockhart, Texas.

One needs to realize that you just don't compare apples to oranges. If you want to discuss BBQ, it's important to compare the same style of BBQ only, and not try to lump different kinds of BBQ together for comparison. That would be akin to comparing good fresh very large Stone Crab claws from South Florida to the chocolate infused steak at Crippen's in Blowing Rock. Can't be done. Both stand alone as two of the world's finest gastronomical experiences.

If you want really fine BBQ from North Carolina, Lexington #1 has been ranked pretty much across the board as maybe the best. Yes, it is excellent, in my opinion (Which is what we are really talking about here, isn't it---out own humble opinions.) Again, however, you have to have adequate BBQ evaluation experience to know just what to order to be able to properly evaluate what you are tasting. That would be to order the coarse chopped with some of the outside brown at Honey Monk's (That's what Lexington #1 is called by those in the know.)

One BBQ joint, however, that has never been mentioned on this board, I believe, is 12 Bones Smokehouse in Asheville. I discovered it at about 11 o'clock one morning this summer while driving around the River Arts District. I noticed a long line snaking through a large parking lot and went over to see what it was about. It turned out to be one of the most remarkable BBQ experiences of my life. Since the line was so long, and I had other things to do that day (such as getting ready for my impending wedding in a few days), I was unable to wait for lunch. But I made it a point to fit it into my following day's schedule.

If you are anywhere even remotely near Asheville, my advice would be to make the trip to 12 Bones. Everything there, including the side orders of corn pudding, sweet potatoes, smoked mushroom salad, jalapeno cheese grits, etc., was outstanding. The BBQ was the best NC BBQ I have ever tasted---- including Lexington #1. The pulled pork, chopped beef brisket and pulled chicken were incredible. I didn't have a chance to try the baby back ribs, smoked turkey or other items on the menu as there was no more room for it (even when I returned a few days later for more). Oh, the prices aren't too bad either. A large metal plate overflowing with BBQ and sides was $6-7.50--actually too much to finish for the average person.

Has anyone else on the board eaten there?:)

ricks

devildeac
08-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Holt Lake Q is good, as is their fried chicken and fried shrimp. It is not quite a vinegary as Smithfield's. I'll go by both restaurants twice today - on the way to and from the CCJC this evening.

Will you "go by" the restaurants as in "drive by" or as in "go in and eat so I can compare them to others on the thread":o;):D.

ricks68
08-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Coincidentally, I just received from my cousin, today, an article from the Miami Herald mentioning 12 Bones. It says that it earned top honors in Good Morning America's "Best Bites" competition last fall. Also, it listed their website: http://www.12bones.com/ which mentions that they are in the May issue of Southern Living magazine.

The 'cue really is that good.;)

ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I admit when I saw Duke vs. Kentucky, I was planning a different post, butttt ... this is an oldie, but we had Stamey's BBQ in Greensboro, and everytody flocked to it ....

I've been gone for over 35 years, but I wonder how they stack up against all the top places on the list ? Help me ! Inquiring minds want to know !

Also, I vaguely remember a place in Rockingham that was incredible ...
Stamey's is still going strong. Maybe the place you're thinking of in Rockingham County is Short Sugar's.

I can't join the praises of Allen & Son's. The BBQ was very disappointingly bland and a bit watery.

No one's commented on any of the White Swan BBQ. Food's tasty (BBQ, Brunswick stew and fried chicken), but you have to know how to get the restaurant. A local took me there so I can't give directions.

One BBQ Hall of Famer missing from this list WRAL is circulating has to be Pig N Out in Winston-Salem. You will never find finer BBQ. MMMMM! It's available with white or red slaw. It's so fine that when locals are recovering from surgery, this is the first thing they ask for when they can eat real food again.

If we're going to talk BBQ outside the southeast, you can't beat a good beef brisket prepared like they do it in Texas.

Uncle Drew
08-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Sorry, fellas, the best barbecue is from Kansas City and second best is from Memphis. This hard for me to say being NC born and raised, but it's the truth. Worst is Texas.

I have to admit I prefer western BBQ and the BBQ sauce MUCH more than I like Eastern BBQ'd meat. People raised in the western US that visit or move out this way look at their plates like, "what the %#%#" when served Eastern BBQ. I fully realize there is an art to preparing and serving NC BBQ, and some wil view the words I speak as blasphemy and want me deported. But then I don't like country ham either and I don't like vinegar based coleslaw.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Will you "go by" the restaurants as in "drive by" or as in "go in and eat so I can compare them to others on the thread":o;):D.

I drove by them. I ate at the club. T-bone from Town Market in Pine Level. Grilled it myself as I do most Friday nights. In the olden days, I would have said I barbequed it rather than grilled it, but no need to confuse people here.

I've eated Q from both restaurants many times. I like Smithfield's better. Oh, and I went by the original White Swam twice today too. It's just up the street from Holt Lake. Their Q is very good too.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Hersey's BBQ is pretty good as well. I should have mentioned them earlier. You could buy Hersey's BBQ sandwiches at the basketball games last year. Their table was out in the concourse near Chic-fil-a's table. They replaced the Q-Shack which sold BBQ sandwiches for several seasons. And, yes, Bullock's BBQ sandwiches are available at the concession stands, but Hersey's are better.

Newton_14
08-08-2008, 09:54 PM
The best is not even on the list... Bob's Barbecue, Creedmoor, NC Hwy 56

Hand's down! They also have the best Brunswick Stew...

duketaylor
08-09-2008, 12:16 AM
anybody know of any decent Q on the OBX? Thanks.

devildeac
08-09-2008, 08:29 AM

If you're still there, here's a short list of Q joints at the OBX:

Bubba's
Sooey's
Pigman's
High Cotton

I profess no knowledge of any of these places so you're on your own with your choices. But, we expect a review or two when you return;). Have a great trip!

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Ask the locals. You might discover a gem!

Lavabe
08-15-2008, 03:49 AM
What do we do with our Duke lawn ornament when we move to our new house in Lexington, KY? Specifically:
1) Are we setting ourselves up for all sorts of wrath/scorn/etc ?
2) Are we setting ourselves up for a night of pre-Halloween vandalism?

FWIW, it's the welcome banner that the devildeacs gave us.
Thanks,
Lavabe

2535Miles
08-15-2008, 04:36 AM
What do we do with our Duke lawn ornament when we move to our new house in Lexington, KY? Specifically:

Thanks,
Lavabe
Get it bronzed. Mount it on a pedestal. Surround it with flood lights. 24/7.

YmoBeThere
08-15-2008, 05:54 AM
If your interested, a security system with tripwires and uhhhhm, "home protection" devices can be setup. Just be careful when you mow the lawn.

weezie
08-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Make it into a stunning gown to wear at your housewarming party!

And then again at all Duke NCAA victory parties.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-15-2008, 09:18 AM

Thanks,
Lavabe

1) Yes.
2) Probably yes.

If your lawn ornaments include a life-sized statue of Christain Laettner with his arms raised in celebration, you might want to encase that in a bulletproof, bombproof case. :D

Lavabe
08-15-2008, 09:26 AM
1) Yes.
2) Probably yes.

If your lawn ornaments include a life-sized statue of Christain Laettner with his arms raised in celebration, you might want to encase that in a bulletproof, bombproof case. :D

POTD! THANK YOU, oh paradigm of optimisim!

FWIW, I think the UK folks have so far been gracious in discussing basketball. Nice ribbing all around. Even funnier is talking with them about the Tacky Blues from Chappaheeya.

I think we share a dislike for Louisville. That unites us. Then again, I'll defer to KenTankerous on that subject!:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

Jarhead
08-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Sheesh, I thought this was a thread about lawn ornaments for your favorite BBQ joints.

Indoor66
08-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Sheesh, I thought this was a thread about lawn ornaments for your favorite BBQ joints.

Some have NO respect for honored traditions! :mad:

Lavabe
08-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Some have NO respect for honored traditions! :mad:

Yeah, yeah ... I know, but Ozzie's suggestion is perhaps the best. If Ozzie approves, it's fine with me.

FWIW, I've already used the "Love Tap" reference a few times.

Cheers,
Lavabe

cf-62
08-15-2008, 05:10 PM
POTD! THANK YOU, oh paradigm of optimisim!

FWIW, I think the UK folks have so far been gracious in discussing basketball. Nice ribbing all around. Even funnier is talking with them about the Tacky Blues from Chappaheeya.

I think we share a dislike for Louisville. That unites us. Then again, I'll defer to KenTankerous on that subject!:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

Oh they enjoy talking about basketball, but it will be destroyed at some point. There is just no end of losers (in any place) that think an opponent's display is just an invitation for vandalism.

Lexington is no different than anywhere else. In fact, I would feel safer putting Duke things on my lawn in the Thrill than in Lexington.

Turk
08-15-2008, 06:29 PM

So how do the UK folks feel about the Holes? Hate em more or less than the Devils? They have to dislike that shade of blue like we do, right?

Lavabe
08-15-2008, 06:34 PM
So how do the UK folks feel about the Holes? Hate em more or less than the Devils? They have to dislike that shade of blue like we do, right?

Someone started off the conversation: "Why's the sky Carolina blue?"

See... room for agreement! Maybe KenTankerous has had a positive effect on the huddled masses.:)

2535Miles
08-16-2008, 01:58 AM
I wasn't aware the Holes had an opinion that mattered on this subject. :D

devildeac
08-16-2008, 08:11 AM
1) Yes.
2) Probably yes.

Along with your house, cars, mailbox, etc...

OZZIE4DUKE
08-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Someone started off the conversation: "Why's the sky Carolina blue?"

Answer: "So the rest of us don't have to step in it!"

Lavabe
08-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Answer: "So the rest of us don't have to step in it!"

Any other classic Chapaheeya jokes for the next conversation I have with a UK fan? Wasn't there a thread full of them?

United with UK fans in our disdain for Louisville 1986,
Lavabe

diablesseblu
11-17-2008, 01:01 PM
A not to be missed essay by Calvin Trillin:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/11/24/081124fa_fact_trillin?currentPage=all

dball
11-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Great article. Was in Austin last Spring. Wish I had known about Snow's then!

ricks68
11-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Wonderful article. It's tough enough to drive to Lockhart and back to Houston for lunch. (Pretty much 2 hours and 20 minutes---each way.) When I read about Snow's this past year, I knew I had to try it. It looks like I will have to stay over in Austin the night before, however, to pull it off.

ricks

devildeac
11-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Wonderful article. It's tough enough to drive to Lockhart and back to Houston for lunch. (Pretty much 2 hours and 20 minutes---each way.) When I read about Snow's this past year, I knew I had to try it. It looks like I will have to stay over in Austin the night before, however, to pull it off.

ricks

The sacrifices one has to make for good 'cue;). Hope to see you at a game this year, sir!

roywhite
11-17-2008, 11:09 PM
In a town named Lexington, no less. Classic.

BlueintheFace
11-18-2008, 12:45 AM
God, I love living in Austin, Texas. Carolina vinegar-based barbecue is very good and I enjoyed eating it in my four years at Duke, but it just can't quite compare with the real stuff- the original stuff they have here in Texas.

rickshack
11-18-2008, 06:46 AM
It has been said that barbecue is neither a verb nor beef.
But that just us Southerners.:D

Jarhead
11-18-2008, 10:02 AM
God, I love living in Austin, Texas. Carolina vinegar-based barbecue is very good and I enjoyed eating it in my four years at Duke, but it just can't quite compare with the real stuff- the original stuff they have here in Texas.
Original stuff in Texas? Not a chance. Barbecue goes all the way back to the pork eating colonies of England, mostly Virginia and North Carolina. The colonists were fond of cooking the whole hog over a fire. Yes, the whole hog, all the way from the barb, or tip of the nose, to the cue, or the twisty tail. Hence barb-e-cue. Oh, yeah, cooked over a hickory fire. Vinegar? A little bit with secret spices and seasoning to make the hand pulled and chopped meat tasty, and keep it from spoiling. No ketchup or tomato based sauces.

willywoody
11-18-2008, 10:26 AM

you do not know of what you speak.

http://www.scbarbeque.com/History.html

"The incorrect use of the term barbeque on television, in movies and in magazines which is, more often than not, written or spoken by people who know nothing about real barbeque, has led to the misconception, for instance, that beef is barbeque. It's not. Don't forget, barbeque is more specifically a noun, a specific thing, and that specific thing is pork, not beef or fish, or beaver, or shrimp or anything else. It's quite possible to barbeque beef; tens of thousands of people out west do it all the time. And it's oftentimes delicious. But it's "barbequed beef" not barbeque. The term barbeque is always properly reserved for pork.

Indeed, it was the Spanish who first introduced the pig into the Americas and to the American Indians. The Indians, in turn, introduced the Spanish to the concept of true slow cooking with smoke. So, in that first fateful coming together, way back in the 1500s, the Spanish supplied the pig and the Indians showed them how to cook it. That is when authentic barbeque was first eaten.

The first true colony in the Americas, by the way, was in South Carolina. The very first Spanish adventurers that one reads about in the history books were actually Conquistadores, bent on gold and conquest, not on colonizing. The Spanish colonists, who came only slightly later but still in the early 1500s, came to South Carolina and they named their colony Santa Elena. It was established in the area that we now call Port Royal in Beaufort County. That colony lasted almost 20 years and it boasted a fort with several cannons, a church, a bakery, blacksmith foundry and shop, a pottery kiln and nearly 500 colonists including over 100 families. It was in that first American colony that the white man first learned to prepare and to eat real barbeque. So, people were eating barbeque in South Carolina even before that name had been applied to the area by the English. "

BlueintheFace
11-18-2008, 10:52 AM
you do not know of what you speak.

I looked in to the matter and I believe, unfortunately, it is you who do not know of what you speak. The origins of "barbecue" can be found in the carribean. All that can be discerned is that the word derives from the word "barbacao" used by the taino people there.

And I must say, I used to be like many of you. I swore by Bullocks and ate the Q when the mood hit me. I sought out that sweet vinegary pulled pork, but then I moved to Austin, Texas. I thought I had reached the peak of quality meat consumption in NC, but then I saw the light. I understand that love of barbecue has been closely tied to regional loyalty. I understand that it would feel like betrayal to love another region's barbecue, but take it from somebody who's allegiance lies with food and not state. Texas barbecue is unbeatable. Don't cringe... I see you cringing because you think I'm putting down the Carolina's. I'm not. It's all about the food for me and although NC barbecue blows TN barbeque out of the water... I've tried it all now and will swear by Texas barbecue until the day I die. I encourage you all to try it... the real Texas stuff... if you ever make it down here.

oh yah, and kentucky sucks.

COYS
11-18-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm not sure about the origins of barbecue, and it may just be my regional loyalty, but when pulled pork is done right, nothing can beat it. This coming from someone who, in every other instance, will always choose beef over pork. I think beef barbecue can be excellent, for certain. But well-trimmed pork cooked to perfection (not too dry!) . . . Definitely on my list of "if I were ever on death row and had to request a last meal" options. :)

killerleft
11-18-2008, 11:23 AM
BlueintheFace says:

"Texas barbecue is unbeatable. Don't cringe... I see you cringing because you think I'm putting down the Carolina's. I'm not. It's all about the food for me and although NC barbecue blows TN barbeque out of the water... I've tried it all now and will swear by Texas barbecue until the day I die. I encourage you all to try it... the real Texas stuff... if you ever make it down here."

Oh, admit it. You were a "Closet Beefie" all along.

BlueintheFace
11-18-2008, 11:33 AM
BlueintheFace says:

"Texas barbecue is unbeatable. Don't cringe... I see you cringing because you think I'm putting down the Carolina's. I'm not. It's all about the food for me and although NC barbecue blows TN barbeque out of the water... I've tried it all now and will swear by Texas barbecue until the day I die. I encourage you all to try it... the real Texas stuff... if you ever make it down here."

Oh, admit it. You were a "Closet Beefie" all along.

Common misconception- Texas barbecue is all beef. Texas barbecue includes Beef, Pork, and even Venison.

willywoody
11-18-2008, 12:27 PM
I looked in to the matter and I believe, unfortunately, it is you who do not know of what you speak. The origins of "barbecue" can be found in the carribean. All that can be discerned is that the word derives from the word "barbacao" used by the taino people there.

hey i'm just quoting the SC BBQ Association. However, the article was concerning BBQ in the USA not the rest of the world. your carribean reference is meaningless as stated, as words often developed in the US to describe a similar foreign food. see gullah and creole cooking for such instances.

rickshack
11-18-2008, 01:41 PM
This brings tears to my eyes every time I listen to it.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

killerleft
11-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Common misconception- Texas barbecue is all beef. Texas barbecue includes Beef, Pork, and even Venison.

I stand corrected. We cook it all too, but we know what we mean when we say barbeque. If it is made of beef (for example), that's beef barbeque. We have ribs, and then there's beef ribs. There's nothing more disappointing than seeing ribs on somebody's menu and finding out that said ribs came from a cow.

throatybeard
11-18-2008, 02:53 PM
And I must say, I used to be like many of you. I swore by Bullocks and ate the Q when the mood hit me.

There's your problem. I'd think NC BBQ was awful if Bullock's were my main reference point.

allenmurray
11-18-2008, 02:56 PM
hey i'm just quoting the SC BBQ Association. However, the article was concerning BBQ in the USA not the rest of the world. your carribean reference is meaningless as stated, as words often developed in the US to describe a similar foreign food. see gullah and creole cooking for such instances.

I'm sorry, as long as folks in SC use mustard they do not deserve to have a BBQ Society. They should hide in shame.

A new book, Holy Smoke: The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue by John Shelton Reed and Dale Volberg Reed gives a nice take on the origin of the word BBQ. It started aout as a Taino Indian word (barbacoa) that referred to the apparatus on which the pig was cooked (an interwoven bed of green sticks placed far enough over the fire that they did not burn). It then evolved to mean the process of cooking the pig, then became synomous with the pig itself. So, using the word BBQ when one means a "grill" (as is the habit of New Englanders) is actually historically correct (though it hurts my ears to hear someone say it) as is the phrase, "let's have a BBC (meaning a cookout). However, people of good breeding know that the wrod really refers to the chopped meat served at Allen & Son's.

roywhite
11-18-2008, 03:03 PM
There's your problem. I'd think NC BBQ was awful if Bullock's were my main reference point.

I see Bullock's get bashed here a bit, but it's not bad IMO. I eat there occasionally; the fried chicken is very good and so are the hush puppies; a family style meal with chicken, chopped pork barbecue, brunswick stew, etc. is good overall eating. Its a Durham institution, to be sure, and I prefer their barbecue to the Lexington, NC style.

BlueintheFace
11-18-2008, 03:12 PM

... definitely not the best in NC or my reference point... just the most recognizable names in Durham IMO.

allenmurray
11-18-2008, 03:12 PM
I see Bullock's get bashed here a bit, but it's not bad IMO. I eat there occasionally; the fried chicken is very good and so are the hush puppies; a family style meal with chicken, chopped pork barbecue, brunswick stew, etc. is good overall eating. Its a Durham institution, to be sure, and I prefer their barbecue to the Lexington, NC style.

It is a great family restaurant. Excellent fried chicken, better than average brunswick stew, very good chicken and dumplings, the hush puppies are always fresh, most of the desserts are home-made, the tea is sweet without being too sweet. The only thing that keeps it from being a good BBQ place is the lack of good BBQ. If folks wanted a good family place for a Southern style meal I would not hesitate to reccomend Bullocks. I just wouldn't reccomend it for BBQ.

BlueintheFace
11-18-2008, 03:19 PM
It is a great family restaurant. Excellent fried chicken, better than average brunswick stew, very good chicken and dumplings, the hush puppies are always fresh, most of the desserts are home-made, the tea is sweet without being too sweet. The only thing that keeps it from being a good BBQ place is the lack of good BBQ. If folks wanted a good family place for a Southern style meal I would not hesitate to reccomend Bullocks. I just wouldn't reccomend it for BBQ.

As I said before, I find the Texas barbecue a small step above NC barbecue, but here are some of my favorites in North Carolina:

Hog Heaven
Barbecue Lodge
Stamey's in Greensboro
Hurseys in Burlington
Allen and Son's
Danny's
Holy Smokes
... just to name a few

willywoody
11-18-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm sorry, as long as folks in SC use mustard they do not deserve to have a BBQ Society. They should hide in shame.

Well only some use mustard. There's plenty of vinegar 'cue down here. Stop off at Mccabe's in Manning, SC next time you're passing down I-95, ten minutes or so off the highway.

allenmurray
11-18-2008, 03:30 PM
As I said before, I find the Texas barbecue a small step above NC barbecue, but here are some of my favorites in North Carolina:

Hog Heaven
Barbecue Lodge
Stamey's in Greensboro
Hurseys in Burlington
Allen and Son's
Danny's
Holy Smokes
... just to name a few

I have to give another shout-out to Hog Heaven. It is very underrated. It doesn't have quite the smoky flavor of Allen & Son's (at A&S you can taste the fact that hKeith Allen still cooks over wood), but it is very, very good.

My brother lives in Austin, TX, so I've become well acquainted with Texas 'Que. It is good stuff. On my most recent trip we went to a place called Mann's in Austin (near intersection of 183 and Ohlen Road). It was the only BBQ place in austin to make Texas Monthly's top 50 list. It deserved to be in the top 50 - it was very, very good.

Huh?
11-18-2008, 10:34 PM
I have to give another shout-out to Hog Heaven. It is very underrated. It doesn't have quite the smoky flavor of Allen & Son's (at A&S you can taste the fact that hKeith Allen still cooks over wood), but it is very, very good.

My brother lives in Austin, TX, so I've become well acquainted with Texas 'Que. It is good stuff. On my most recent trip we went to a place called Mann's in Austin (near intersection of 183 and Ohlen Road). It was the only BBQ place in austin to make Texas Monthly's top 50 list. It deserved to be in the top 50 - it was very, very good.

Hurseys in Burlington is REALLY good...So is Jackson's Big Oak in Wilmington.

Stamey's is right below those. Man, I love the Q.

Edouble
11-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Apparently, there's a rule concerning the coexistence of Duke vs. Kentucky and UNC vs. Kentucky threads on the board. ;)

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Hurseys in Burlington is REALLY good...So is Jackson's Big Oak in Wilmington.

Stamey's is right below those. Man, I love the Q.

Hursey's BBQ is good! Hursey's sells BBQ sandwiches in the Cameron concourse.

ricks68
11-19-2008, 03:40 AM
Conclusion: I can only surmise that after months and months going by with very little going on with the Duke vs Kentucky thread, there now is adequate evidence that winning really good bball games bring out massive cravings for good BBQ. (In no way does this dispute the fact that there is no bad time to eat BBQ, just that there may be times that may demand it.)

12 Bones, 12 Bones, 12 Bones.

I grew up in Miami (and had Southern BBQ there, too), went post high school at our wonderful alma mater in NC, then more school in TN, and more in GA. Ended up in TX.

Ate at Bullock's and Allen and Son's. Neither can hold a candle to Lexington#1, even if you don't get the coarse chopped with a little of the outside brown.

But I gotta tell ya, for the most remarkable Southern BBQ ever, it's 12 Bones in Asheville. I like the vinegar sauce, of the three they have, best or just plain without.

Now, if you want to have the just plain ol' smoked meat without the sauce that disguises the true flavor of the meat, then you must travel out of the U.S and go to Texas. The trick is, however, that you have to try it more than once. The first time will not win you over because you are expecting that sauced-over stuff, and you will be disappointed. It's the second time that hooks you.

How do you compare 1/2 pound Stone Crab claws from FL to Chocolate infused steak at Crippen's in Blowing Rock? Or, a Goombay Smash at the Atlantis in the Bahamas to a Painkiller at Pusser's in the BVI's? You don't. Each has its place. So does great BBQ.

After eating at 12 Bones this past summer, Southern BBQ finally can officially take its place next to Texas BBQ, but not over it.:)

ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Conclusion: I can only surmise that after months and months going by with very little going on with the Duke vs Kentucky thread, there now is adequate evidence that winning really good bball games bring out massive cravings for good BBQ. (In no way does this dispute the fact that there is no bad time to eat BBQ, just that there may be times that may demand it.)

12 Bones, 12 Bones, 12 Bones.

I grew up in Miami (and had Southern BBQ there, too), went post high school at our wonderful alma mater in NC, then more school in TN, and more in GA. Ended up in TX.

Ate at Bullock's and Allen and Son's. Neither can hold a candle to Lexington#1, even if you don't get the coarse chopped with a little of the outside brown.

But I gotta tell ya, for the most remarkable Southern BBQ ever, it's 12 Bones in Asheville. I like the vinegar sauce, of the three they have, best or just plain without.

Now, if you want to have the just plain ol' smoked meat without the sauce that disguises the true flavor of the meat, then you must travel out of the U.S and go to Texas. The trick is, however, that you have to try it more than once. The first time will not win you over because you are expecting that sauced-over stuff, and you will be disappointed. It's the second time that hooks you.

How do you compare 1/2 pound Stone Crab claws from FL to Chocolate infused steak at Crippen's in Blowing Rock? Or, a Goombay Smash at the Atlantis in the Bahamas to a Painkiller at Pusser's in the BVI's? You don't. Each has its place. So does great BBQ.

After eating at 12 Bones this past summer, Southern BBQ finally can officially take its place next to Texas BBQ, but not over it.:)

ricks

You're comments bring up what I've been thinking each time I read about BBQ in threads on this board. What's with having to choose one over another? There's too much good food, including BBQ of various types, to have to choose one over another. I'm much more likely to savor the moment and what it has to offer.

ricks, are you going to be at the Carolina game on November 29? There will be some great food and great times as we prepare for this game. We need you at the Devil Walk!

davekay1971
11-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Lexington BBQ in Lexington, NC.

Little Richards in Winston-Salem and Clemmons - very good as well.

Snooks in Advance, NC, on route 158. First you have to be brave enough to go into this restaurant that is basically 2 trailers pulled up together. Get your bbq in the first, eat it in the second. It's really, really good bbq, but you'd have to be courageous to stop there and eat if you were just driving by and didn't know anything about the place.

Anyone know a good bbq place in the North Charlotte area?

Oh, and so this isn't totally off topic - Duke would kill KY this year.

Indoor66
11-19-2008, 11:19 AM

Snooks in Advance, NC, on route 158. First you have to be brave enough to go into this restaurant that is basically 2 trailers pulled up together. Get your bbq in the first, eat it in the second. It's really, really good bbq, but you'd have to be courageous to stop there and eat if you were just driving by and didn't know anything about the place.

Stamey's in Lexington is also very good.

sagegrouse
11-19-2008, 11:40 AM
It's really, really good bbq, but you'd have to be courageous to stop there and eat if you were just driving by and didn't know anything about the place.

I never can remember which BBQ restaurants are good in which towns in NC, SC, Texas, or anywhere else.

So, I tend to judge the quality of the 'cue by (a) how ramshackle the building is and (b) how many cars are parked outside.

Do other people find that a falling down BBQ shack with 20 cars outside is a useful indicator of quality?

sagegrouse

JBDuke
11-19-2008, 12:13 PM
...Oh, and so this isn't totally off topic - Duke would kill KY this year.

Barbeque is NEVER off-topic, and "Duke vs. Kentucky" is the traditional name for a thread discussing barbeque on these boards.

willywoody
11-19-2008, 12:16 PM
I never can remember which BBQ restaurants are good in which towns in NC, SC, Texas, or anywhere else.

So, I tend to judge the quality of the 'cue by (a) how ramshackle the building is and (b) how many cars are parked outside.

Do other people find that a falling down BBQ shack with 20 cars outside is a useful indicator of quality?

sagegrouse

If all the 'cue in town stinkxs then you'll be wrong. Orangeburg, SC is like this. I grew up with their 'cue but nowadays I find it only ok. The Dukes BBQ buildings are little more than painted cinder blocks and it can be really hard to find a parking place for all the business they do.

allenmurray
11-19-2008, 02:29 PM

I have eaten at Crippen's in Blowing Rock twice. I would rate them as the two best meals I have ever had. The chocolate infused steak was unbelieveable, as were the scallops. The inn is lovely as well. Crippen's is one of my favorite places.

Shortly after Katrina, Jimmy Krippen offerred the rooms at his inn for people left without a home due to the storm. I don't know if it ever really happened, but it was a genuine offer. Being evacuated from my home and having to relocate would be terrible, however, if it had to happen, a beautiful inn in Blowing Rock wouldn't be a bad place for a temporary landing.

ricks68
11-19-2008, 07:11 PM

If I can drive to Lockhart for good Texas BBQ, then you can drive a little bit north of Charlotte to Asheville for outstanding NC BBQ. If not, then do you really qualify to be on this thread? (Just kidding!):p

ricks

ricks68
11-19-2008, 07:17 PM
I have eaten at Crippen's in Blowing Rock twice. I would rate them as the two best meals I have ever had. The chocolate infused steak was unbelieveable, as were the scallops. The inn is lovely as well. Crippen's is one of my favorite places.

Shortly after Katrina, Jimmy Krippen offerred the rooms at his inn for people left without a home due to the storm. I don't know if it ever really happened, but it was a genuine offer. Being evacuated from my home and having to relocate would be terrible, however, if it had to happen, a beautiful inn in Blowing Rock wouldn't be a bad place for a temporary landing.

One of my favorite places. I've stayed there 5 or 6 times. My wife will only eat red meat at two places: Crippen's and Kreuz Market. If I don't order the steak at Crippen's for myself, she won't even let me have a taste of hers. So we have to stay for at least 2 meals so that we can always have something different each time we go.

ricks

duketaylor
11-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Yesterday I had my first day off in a while and we had these clouds rolling thru central VA and many had snow bursts in them. It was really cool as you could see a cloud in the distance and the snow falling from it, so I started chasing clouds with snow, and as I ventured about 15 miles from home, I realized I was hungry and just happened to be near Benny's, a little hole-in-the-wall BBQ place on Forest Hill Ave. here in Richmond. Pretty darn good stuff; not as good as the 'Cue Ozzie brought me several days ago from Smithfield, but darn good. Their ribs are evn better than the 'Cue should you venture to or thru Richmond anytime soon. As always, a great thread. (And UK looks pretty putrid this year;))

CathyCA
01-13-2009, 10:36 PM

Ozzie and I had lunch at B's Barbecue in Greenville today. B's is a true barbecue shack. They don't have a listed phone number (not even sure if they have a phone), and they don't have regular operating hours, other than they open up at 11:00 a.m., and when the cue runs out, they close up. The place is heated by one of those old-fashioned gas heaters with the flame. Cars and trucks packed the lot surrounding the building.

The pig is cooked out back over an open pit. The meat was extremely moist, sweet and well-flavored by the smoke. I didn't add any of the vinegar sauce sitting out on the tables--the 'cue didn't need any.

The slaw was creamy and sweet. YUM! I wish I'd gone back for seconds on the slaw. The corn sticks (which I usually don't even like because most joints overcook them) were crunchy on the outside and sweet, tender and moist inside. The tea was freshly brewed and perfectly sweet.

Now that I think about it, B's must buy a lot of sugar because I think it was an ingredient in everything I ate. I loved this meal.

Ozzie had the chicken along with the 'cue. He also had potatoes, but I don't think he ate them.

YUM! I love B's Barbecue!

duketaylor
01-13-2009, 10:59 PM
I just finished a late dinner, now I'm hungry again. Why did you have to post that?;)

See y'all soon in Derm-I hope.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Ozzie and I had lunch at B's Barbecue in Greenville today.
They don't have a listed phone number (not even sure if they have a phone)
Cars and trucks packed the lot surrounding the building.

The pig is cooked out back over an open pit.
Now that I think about it, B's must buy a lot of sugar because I think it was an ingredient in everything I ate. I loved this meal.

Ozzie had the chicken along with the 'cue. He also had potatoes, but I don't think he ate them.

YUM! I love B's Barbecue!
The Q was truly outstanding. Not as spicy as Smithfield's, but absolutely delicious! Chuck, I think you'd like it!

There was a phone booth next to the building in the parking lot. Cars park every which way on three sides of the ram-shackle building, including out next to the street on both sides of the road. When I first got there, I parked behind the building, but it was down wind from the smoke pit and I decided I didn't want my car to smell like smoke for the next six weeks, so I moved it.

The chicken was tasty - I'd call it "broasted" as the skin was crispy, probably too done, as the chicken was somewhat dry. It did have a nice smokey taste like the Q, but I left the dry half. I had one or two of the potato pieces and one of the corn sticks. I was full (I guess the SlimFast is working???:D)

Jarhead
01-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Cathy, that sounds just like my kind of bbq joint. It reminds me of a place right in the neighborhood where I grew up in Northern Virginia just south of the Alexandria city limits. I believe it was the original Dixie Pig Barbecue. They cooked the pig , not out back but in a shed right in front of the main entrance. This George Washington High School Alumni Association link (http://gwhsaa.com/st-dixie-pig.html) gives a pretty good description of the place but gets the chronology wrong. The GW Parkway (we called it the Mt. Vernon Blvd) was constructed in the thirties, and the trailer park (I used to deliver the Washington Post in that park) was right next to the restaurant between the parkway and the river.

The trailer park was housing for wartime defense workers. The restaurant closed in 1946, and moved to the Route 1 location, because the National Park Service turned the whole area into a park that is still there. Oh, and the Dixie Pig that moved over to Route 1 was sold to one of the drug storechains. By then, the BBQ was pretty bad. It was outstanding in my high school days, just as good as any I''ve experienced in North Carolina. Same for all of the side dishes. It is where my love for Eastern NC BBQ originated. How thrilled was I when I came to Duke later on and discovered that they cooked the same kind of stuff at the football stadium.

Thanks for triggering this for me. I could write a couple of dozen pages on my experiences and memories there. This was during WWII, and I was in George Washington High School. I played football. Rasty Doran was the coach. I worked at the Washington National Airport, and the Alexandria Post Office. I hunted ducks for the food, and muskrats for the skins. My buddies and I lived the most idyllic life any teenager ever had, and it all ended when several of us played hooky from school, went over to Washington, and enlisted in the Marine Corps -- on my 17th birthday. I am still in touch with those of our crowd that have survived including one of the guys that enlisted with me. Thanks again for the memories, Cathy. That restaurant you and Ozzie went to sounds just like my old hangout in Alexandria.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Saw we were talking BBQ and wanted to give a shout out to Wilbers BBQ in Goldsboro NC, my old stomping grounds before I got shipped to Las Vegas, and Kings BBQ in gastonia nc were a couple of my favs while I was in NC. Lexington is really good too but only ate there twice when I was passing through.

Now on to Kentucky JD Meeks is a monster but nobody on Tenn was putting any D on him, Duke wouldnt have that prob

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-13-2009, 11:56 PM
All this BBQ talk again has brought up a memory of a BBQ restaurant that was in Greensboro YEARS ago, but is no longer in operation. I think the name was something like Toot N Tell It. The sauce could be bought in local grocery stores for years after the restaurant was closed. I remember going there on a date, but have no idea exactly where it was located.

Any of you guys remember this one?

OZZIE4DUKE
01-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Saw we were talking BBQ

Now on to Kentucky JD Meeks is a monster but nobody on Tenn was putting any D on him, Duke wouldnt have that prob
AFD, welcome!. You're new around these parts :D. We don't talk bball in the Duke - Kentucky thread, only BBQ! It's a tradition. And be sure to check out the Handy Pocket Reference linked in the top thread on the Elizabeth King (main) board. It'll explain everything you need to know about the DBR boards!

ricks68
01-14-2009, 02:03 AM
I will be seeing ya'll either at the State game or the Maryland game, as I am coming again to spend time at the ol' alma mater and watch Gary sweat. Will be traveling to Asheville in between games and plan on dropping in at 12 Bones. May or may not be able to stop at Lexington #1. So, Ozzie, I will be able to catch up with you at the half of the Maryland game, and hopefully with DevilintheBlueDress and others probably at the half of both games.:D

ricks

dpslaw
01-14-2009, 08:24 AM
DiBD, are you thinking about the Boar's Head in Greensboro? I think the sauce is still available on line.

Jarhead
01-14-2009, 08:29 AM
All this BBQ talk again has brought up a memory of a BBQ restaurant that was in Greensboro YEARS ago, but is no longer in operation. I think the name was something like Toot N Tell It. The sauce could be bought in local grocery stores for years after the restaurant was closed. I remember going there on a date, but have no idea exactly where it was located.

Any of you guys remember this one?
That place was either on South Holden or South High Point Road. It was a frequent stop on the way home from my downtown office. As I recall, they had darn good hush puppies that rarely made it home with me. Stamies (across the street from the Coliseum) was my preference. I like that they used the same sauce in the slaw that they used in the BBQ. They fragrance of hickory smoke was pleasantly pervasive.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2009, 10:45 AM
DiBD, are you thinking about the Boar's Head in Greensboro? I think the sauce is still available on line.
Was it Boar and Castle or was that another restaurant in another place? I know that Castle sauce is still available online from Carolina Sauce Company, Inc.

I remember Toot N Tell or Toot N Tell It and found a little bit of information online, but it's been closed too long to find much.

Do you like Sweet Sugar's?

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2009, 10:48 AM
I will be seeing ya'll either at the State game or the Maryland game, as I am coming again to spend time at the ol' alma mater and watch Gary sweat. Will be traveling to Asheville in between games and plan on dropping in at 12 Bones. May or may not be able to stop at Lexington #1. So, Ozzie, I will be able to catch up with you at the half of the Maryland game, and hopefully with DevilintheBlueDress and others probably at the half of both games.:D

ricks

I'll be there... probably enjoying some Hersey's BBQ before the game.

jpfrizzle
01-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Doesn't matter where you go, if you were born in NC; You were raised on BBQ. and, Even that's a tradition.

...gotta have that slaw too, man. a good barbecue ain't barbecue without good slaw.

all this talk makes me think of a family reunion. damn now I'm hungry!!

[edit]
I will admit, I have tasted Louisiana's style BBQ and was very impressed. Giving props.

Bluedog
05-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Reviving this thread since the front page of cnn.com currently has an article with the headline: "Which state has the best BBQ? TX, TN, NC". I'm also looking forward to some Memorial day BBQs as the weather is finally nice. Anybody have exciting plans?

Quest for the best barbecue (http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/05/22/barbecue.quest/index.html?iref=t2test_travelfri)

5 great BBQ joints

# Cozy Corner, Memphis, Tennessee
# Kreuz Market, Lockhart, Texas
# Checkered Pig, Martinsville, Virginia
# Whole Hog Cafe, Little Rock, Arkansas
# The Pit, Raleigh, North Carolina

Recommended by Amy Mills, co-author of "Peace, Love, and Barbecue"

While it's pulled pork with vinegar sauce in most of North Carolina, Raichlen said barbecue is, for example, mutton with butter and Worcestershire sauce in Owensboro, Kentucky, grilled bratwurst in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, and oysters on the half-shell with chipotle sauce in Tomales Bay, California.

"We live in a world of homogenization," he said. Barbecue is "the last bastion of regional culture, and I think that's one reason we prize it so dearly."

OZZIE4DUKE
05-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Reviving this thread since the front page of cnn.com currently has an article with the headline: "Which state has the best BBQ? TX, TN, NC".

Quest for the best barbecue (http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/05/22/barbecue.quest/index.html?iref=t2test_travelfri)
Devildeac and I heartily endorse Ed Mitchell's "The Pit" in Raleigh. If you scroll up a bit, you'll even find our reviews :cool::D from last year.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Devildeac and I heartily endorse Ed Mitchell's "The Pit" in Raleigh. If you scroll up a bit, you'll even find our reviews :cool::D from last year.
Well that's strange. I'm sure we both reviewed it here, yet all I find is my reference from Feb. 8, 2008 that we would eat there soon, which we did.

Ed makes great Q, along with fabulous baby back ribs! You won't leave hungry, unless you drop your plate on the floor!

sagegrouse
05-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Ed makes great Q, along with fabulous baby back ribs! You won't leave hungry, unless you drop your plate on the floor!

Hey! A little dirt never stopped me from eating barbecue!

sagegrouse

devildeac
05-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Well that's strange. I'm sure we both reviewed it here, yet all I find is my reference from Feb. 8, 2008 that we would eat there soon, which we did.

The reviews were probably done on the OTB in a restaurant review thread and not in the Duke vs Ky thread and may not have "migrated" over here.

And, dayum, I thought this was going to be about the recent JW commit or the Ky ethics issue.;):rolleyes:

ricks68
05-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Ya'll have known where I stand for years, now. Kreuz Market, Kreuz Market, Kreuz Market. To reiterate what I have been telling the board lately about NC BBQ, however, is for someone other than myself to take a summer drive over to Asheville and try 12 Bones. I think Watzone asked me about some good BBQ back in February during halftime in Cameron. Well, there's the answer again. Also, on the way over, drop by Lexington #1 and get the coarse cut with some of the outside brown.:)

ricks

ice-9
05-23-2009, 03:24 AM
I was in Redmond, Washington for a summer and must recommend this place called Dixie's BBQ where they cook it southern style. Just thinking about that place makes me slobber, God it was so good. The lunch queue is ridiculous, but the pork sandwich is worth every minute. Plus, THE MAN keeps things interesting while you wait. :)

ricks68
05-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Did anyone catch Nightline tonight? They had a special bit on the chef of Hill Country BBQ in NYC for Memorial Day BBQ recipes. The owner of the restaurant is a cousin of my bro-in-law, and is from Lockhart, as is most of my bro-in-law's family. They import their sausage links directly from Kreuz Market in Lockhart, by the way. The rest of the BBQ meats they prepare themselves, however.

Before they opened the restaurant a few years ago they sent a photographer down to Kreuz Market for pictures to adorn their walls. Some were taken of me wearing my Luckenbach jacket and Kreuz hat while eating ribs and sausage. I didn't make the cut, but my bro-in-law did. His picture is on the wall in the restaurant. His picture ended up being the only one of a non-employee of Kreuz.

I hear the food is pretty good, but very NY pricey. Not on the same plane as Kreuz, but still very good for NY BBQ. Anyone been by?

ricks

johaad
05-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Anyone compared The Pit to Perry's BBQ in Black Mountain, NC? The people in Black Mountain say it's as good as you'll find. Brisket is awesome there. And their slaw is amazing. I need to make my way to Raleigh one day to try the Pit though, I've heard good things.

Grey Devil
05-23-2009, 11:51 AM
I haven't been back to "dear ol' Durm" in a number years. However I have a professional colleague from MIT who will be at Duke for an academic conference next week. When I talked with him a few days ago I told him he had to check out good Carolina style BBQ. Then he asked for recommendations and I unfortunately have to admit I was short on answers since it has been so long since I'd been back. The only name I could come up with at the time was Bullock's, which isn't considered by everyone to be the best.

Where would you recommend I send him?

Thanks,
Grey Devil

Underdog5
05-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I hear the food is pretty good, but very NY pricey. Not on the same plane as Kreuz, but still very good for NY BBQ. Anyone been by?

Used to work at Credit Suisse up the street from Hill Country and spent many a summer eve there after work. Great spot! Brisket is best I've had in NY so far and I'm a BBQ junky!

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-24-2009, 01:47 PM
For those who love to try BBQ in different places, there's a web site and a membership meant for you! The organization is called The North Carolina Barbecue Society. Here's a link for their Historic Barbecue Trail. (Please note the criteria for selection.) http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_map.html

Membership information and other tidbits can be found on their home page. http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/

OZZIE4DUKE
05-24-2009, 05:11 PM
I haven't been back to "dear ol' Durm" in a number years. However I have a professional colleague from MIT who will be at Duke for an academic conference next week. When I talked with him a few days ago I told him he had to check out good Carolina style BBQ. Then he asked for recommendations and I unfortunately have to admit I was short on answers since it has been so long since I'd been back. The only name I could come up with at the time was Bullock's, which isn't considered by everyone to be the best.

Where would you recommend I send him?

Thanks,
Grey Devil
Your post is #196 in this thread. I suggest you read the first 195 for many fine recommendations. Allen & Son's. The Pit, Smithfield's BBQ and others are all much better than Bullock's.

ricks68
05-24-2009, 05:33 PM
For those who love to try BBQ in different places, there's a web site and a membership meant for you! The organization is called The North Carolina Barbecue Society. Here's a link for their Historic Barbecue Trail. (Please note the criteria for selection.) http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_map.html

Membership information and other tidbits can be found on their home page. http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/

Very good info, Janet. Thanks.

ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Very good info, Janet. Thanks.

ricks
A boot camp in how to barbecue was featured in the local newspaper today. Perhaps this article will be a calling for some of the DBR lurkers and posters to sign up for the next boot camp. http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/may/25/barbecuing-old-fashioned-folks-come-from-all-over-/news-local/

dairedevil
05-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Glad to see this thread revived.....

Here is a good (and funny) description of southern BBQ:

I've got my ribs "marinating" in rub to go on the grill later today! Of course, I'm a confused GA girl, so they will be sweet AND spicy!

OZZIE4DUKE
05-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Glad to see this thread revived.....

Here is a good (and funny) description of southern BBQ:

I've got my ribs "marinating" in rub to go on the grill later today! Of course, I'm a confused GA girl, so they will be sweet AND spicy!
This was great! And I've emailed the link to all my friends, northern and southern!

killerleft
05-26-2009, 10:28 AM
This was great! And I've emailed the link to all my friends, northern and southern!

"Is Florida a southern state?... ... Naw, it ain't."

Bluedog
05-26-2009, 11:23 AM
"Is Florida a southern state?... ... Naw, it ain't."

The thing that's also funny is the picture is of California when they talk about Florida. Was that on purpose? I doubt it. Overall, though, an entertaining video.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-27-2009, 03:14 PM
According the the News & Observer, barbecue lovers and others will be able to watch pitmaster Ed Mitchell (The Pit located in Raleigh, NC) appear on "Throwdown! with Bobby Flay." The program will air at 8:30P on the Food Network. Napkins or paper towels are optional for viewers who will no doubt be drooling by the time the program ends. http://blogs.newsobserver.com/tv/ed-mitchell-battles-bobby-flay-tonight

dukeforester
05-27-2009, 05:42 PM
No Virginia!!! Capitol of the Confederacy. I am appallled.

killerleft
05-28-2009, 09:23 AM

LOL. That's because the Confederacy invented BBQ possum and rat spare ribs when food was scarce in 1865.

Highlander
05-28-2009, 12:04 PM

I did find a decent BBQ place in Northern VA. I wouldn't call it amazing, but it will pass the time, and it claims to have "NC Style" 'cue.

Willard's BBQ - www.dcbbq.com

ricks68
04-23-2010, 11:23 PM
I keep tellin' ya that the best NC BBQ has now shifted from Lexington #1 to 12 Bones:

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20100423/OBAMA/100423063

ricks

devildeac
04-23-2010, 11:46 PM
I keep tellin' ya that the best NC BBQ has now shifted from Lexington #1 to 12 Bones:

ricks

So, when are you moving to Asheville?;)

bl33dblu3
04-24-2010, 12:09 AM
i'm there nearly once/ week. mmm blueberry chipotle ribs!!!:D

ricks68
04-24-2010, 12:14 AM
I talked to my buyer's agent this morning, and he said that the prices are still way too unrealistic. It's been just over two years looking now. I've got two more to go to be on schedule, so it will happen. Then it will be just a short drive (for a Texas resident) to Cameron any day of the week. After I stop at 12 Bones, of course, before leaving. This is the Duke vs Kentucky thread, you know, and we still have to remain on topic.;)

ricks

ricks68
04-24-2010, 12:18 AM
i'm there nearly once/ week. mmm blueberry chipotle ribs!!!:D

Yes, they are fantastic. Just add some sides along with some pulled pork for under $10 (I hope the prices are the same as when I was there last) and 2 people can pig out.:D

ricks

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-24-2010, 06:57 AM
FYI, that's his second trip to 12 Bones - he was there in October 2008.

/pulled pork plate, jalapeno cheese grits, greens, plus a side of blueberry chipotle ribs, washed down with a Wedge Iron Rail IPA ((for the win!))

//just missed him yesterday

davekay1971
04-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Give me the classic, Lexington Barbeque, on 85 Bypass. But if I'm in Winston-Salem visiting family and don't feel like driving to Lexington, I can live with Little Richard's. And if you're traveling out 158 into Advance and you see what looks like 2 big trailers pulled together with a sign saying Snooks, stop in and eat some great Peidmont Carolina barbeque with the natives. Pick up your hawg in one trailer and go eat in the other.

And don't give me any of that Kentucky hog...that's not even barbeque.

Jarhead
04-24-2010, 10:15 AM

ricksJust a darn minute. Who appointed Lexington BBQ as the best in North Carolina? They use ketchup, don't they? You have to come east for the best NC BBQ, period•

fan345678
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM

ricks

12 Bones: The meat is good and very well-cooked (tender, fat is well-rent), but I wouldn't say it's exceptional (not as smoky as I'd like...I suspect that they only have it on the smoker for a while and then finish it in an oven...pretty much SOP for high-volume places). They actually give you a variety of sauces, which is great but also means they cook the meat pretty plain. The sides, however, are amazing. They also serve beer.

Seriously, the sides are amazing.
And they serve beer.

For you DC folks, it's like Old Glory (except for the fact that it's really, really good).

ricks68
04-24-2010, 11:54 AM
I caught the video the first time the pres went to 12 Bones a long time ago. He came back because he wanted his wife to have a taste.

You have to get the coarse chopped with some of the classic outside brown when you go to Lexington #1 for the best flavor. The ketchup is for stuff on the side, although at least one of the sauces obviously has tomatoes in it. I don't remember how many different sauces they have. I guess I will have to just go back to find out. So, please don't tell me, as that is just one more reason I have to go back---as if I need any others.

If you want a real smoke flavor, all I can say is ya'll come to Texas. Otherwise, just eat the sides and ignore the BBQ altogether, 'cause they really are fantastic at 12 Bones. I must admit, however, that the pulled pork doesn't even come close to the ribs in my opinion.:D

ricks

dcdevil2009
04-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Don't forget about Wilbur's out in Goldsboro for those of you in eastern NC.

ricks68
04-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Now, isn't this more valuable and important than continuing a worthless Harrison Barnes thread?;)

ricks

Johnboy
04-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Now, isn't this more valuable and important than continuing a worthless Harrison Barnes thread?;)

ricks

Yes.

I like the barbecue experience at B's in Greenville especially outside on picnic tables under the huge oak tree. The pork is just OK (cooked over gas) but the sauce is awesome and the sides are really good, too.

Here in Li'l Washington, I like Boss Hogs - real hickory smoked 'cue, great ribs, good sides, great sauce (not quite B's, but really close). Hate the atmosphere, but I usually carry out anyway.

Of course, if all this makes you want some eastern style 'cue, you can get some shipped to you from King's in Kinston (http://www.kingsbbq.com/index.html#) - it's good.

Nrrrrvous
04-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Best Ribs = Buz and Neds (Bobby Flay agrees)

Best Pulled Pork = Q Barbeque on Southside (sauce is good but not needed!)

airowe
04-27-2010, 05:31 PM
WHOA!

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7495842/

superdave
04-27-2010, 08:06 PM
WHOA!

I'll be honest here....Bullock's has under-whelmed me the last few times. But underwhelming Q is still pretty good. Allen & Sons has better flavor.

I was in Asheboro recently and ate at Blue Mist. It was pretty good.

Newton_14
04-27-2010, 08:56 PM
I am telling you guys and gals, look no further than Hwy 56 in little ol Creedmoor to find the best cue at Bob's Barbecue. Been in business for years. Homemade pies daily, good stew, etc. Heck even their seafood menu rocks.

Very short drive if you live in the Triangle area.

David
04-27-2010, 09:01 PM
WHOA!

FWIW, I never cared for Bullock's but it has been a while since I ate there (thankfully!).

OZZIE4DUKE
04-28-2010, 09:03 AM
FWIW, I never cared for Bullock's but it has been a while since I ate there (thankfully!).
I have not liked the Q at Bullocks for several years. Yet it continues to be a favorite of out of town alums who come back for a visit. I guess when you have nothing to compare it to, except 30 year old memories...

For those in the Triangle, don't miss Ed Mitchell's "The Pit" in Raleigh.
http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/ A little more upscale than most Q places, but fabulous food! Devildeac and I reviewed this here about two years ago.

Johnboy
04-28-2010, 10:30 AM
I have not liked the Q at Bullocks for several years. Yet it continues to be a favorite of out of town alums who come back for a visit. I guess when you have nothing to compare it to, except 30 year old memories...

For those in the Triangle, don't miss Ed Mitchell's "The Pit" in Raleigh.
http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/ A little more upscale than most Q places, but fabulous food! Devildeac and I reviewed this here about two years ago.

Maybe I'm not picky enough, but the last couple times I've been to Bullock's, the meal was just great. The 'cue is pedestrian - nothing to write home about, and no comparison with The Pit (wow is that good BBQ!*).

The thing about Bullock's, though, is the sides are all good - from onion rings to Brunswick Stew to hushpuppies, everything was hot and fresh, and the whole experience is good. So, yeah, if you're really a 'cue snob, get the fried chicken, brunswick stew etc. Bullock's 'cue is kinda like Duke's 2008 season: 28-6 (13-3) with a #9 final ranking just doesn't quite cut it under the pressure of heavy expectations. It's good, just not great.

*Full disclosure - the 'cue I had from The Pit was at a private catered party - I've never been to the restaurant - but holy smoked pork was it good.

Jarhead
04-28-2010, 10:58 AM
WHOA!

I've always considered Bullock's as...uh, okay, but Mrs Jarhead hates it. This morning when I handed her the News and Observer section with the Magnolia Grill (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/food/more-about-the-magnolia-grill-chefs-family-tree?storylink=misearch)article, she noticed the Bullock's article first, and threw it back at me saying, "See. I told you so. I hate Bullock's.":confused:

ricks68
04-28-2011, 10:10 PM
I can't believe it took almost a month since the end of the FF for this thread to start up again. I almost brought it back myself, but I was actually waiting to see if we could establish a new record. Does anyone know if we did it?:D

Oh, and by the way, I am determined to get back to Snow's in the next few weeks. I'll send a report.

ricks

devildeac
07-03-2011, 01:04 PM
It's the off-season now, but never the off-season or off topic for this from the front page of the Raleigh N&O this AM:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/07/03/1317850/where-the-home-fires-still-burn.htm

Brings a http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/20.gif to my eyes and a http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/38.gif to my chin.

Best line from the article is at the very end: "And barbecue ain't worth a damn if it's cheap, quick and fast."

Jarhead
07-03-2011, 02:16 PM
It's the off-season now, but never the off-season or off topic for this from the front page of the Raleigh N&O this AM:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/07/03/1317850/where-the-home-fires-still-burn.htm

Brings a http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/20.gif to my eyes and a http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/38.gif to my chin.

Best line from the article is at the very end: "And barbecue ain't worth a damn if it's cheap, quick and fast."

First things first, DD. Something is wrong with your link, so here's a correct one. (http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/07/03/1317850/where-the-home-fires-still-burn.html#storylink=misearch) I read the article this morning, but I lost interest when Lexington was mentioned. They use ketchup there, don't they?

I finished it later, and it was pretty good. Wood is what makes it all work. I remember the parking lot out in back of Stamies. It had hickory boards stacked all over the place.

The story correctly places the start of NC bbq back in the early days of the nation. In fact it goes back to colonial times, and was also very popular in Virginia. At Colonial Williamsburg the restored colonial restaurants do not serve any food item unless it can be documented as food fare in colonial times. Well, in Chewing's Restaurant on Duke of Gloucester Street they serve an exquisite NC bbq sandwich at lunch time, even with the cole slaw.

Getting away from the history, Mrs. Jarhead told me about an old recipe from a friend for roast beef or roast pork cooked in an oven. The recipe stated that to determine the amount of time for cooking always put an extra small roast in the oven. When it is burnt, the big roast is done. Reportedly, it works every time.

devildeac
07-03-2011, 02:36 PM

First things first, DD. Something is wrong with your link, so here's a correct one. (http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/07/03/1317850/where-the-home-fires-still-burn.html#storylink=misearch) I read the article this morning, but I lost interest when Lexington was mentioned. They use ketchup there, don't they?

I finished it later, and it was pretty good. Wood is what makes it all work. I remember the parking lot out in back of Stamies. It had hickory boards stacked all over the place.

The story correctly places the start of NC bbq back in the early days of the nation. In fact it goes back to colonial times, and was also very popular in Virginia. At Colonial Williamsburg the restored colonial restaurants do not serve any food item unless it can be documented as food fare in colonial times. Well, in Chewing's Restaurant on Duke of Gloucester Street they serve an exquisite NC bbq sandwich at lunch time, even with the cole slaw.

Getting away from the history, Mrs. Jarhead told me about an old recipe from a friend for roast beef or roast pork cooked in an oven. The recipe stated that to determine the amount of time for cooking always put an extra small roast in the oven. When it is burnt, the big roast is done. Reportedly, it works every time.

Link corrected, just in case folks don't read Jarhead's post (can't imagine anyone wanting to skip his erudite opinions/descriptions;)).
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/07/03/1317850/where-the-home-fires-still-burn.html

(sheesh-looks the same as my original one that I verified as I verified the corrected one)

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Stamey's still uses wood. The smoke house is behind their restaurant near the Greensboro Coliseum.

I visited Lexington #1 (HoneyMonk's to the locals) recently...... counted seven smokestacks.

If you're interested in visiting some of the best barbecue restaurants in NC, the ones using wood to cook, try some on this map from the NC Barbecue Society's Historic Trail. You may recognize some names and find others which may be new to you. http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.php

Another source of information about great barbecue, including reviews and comments by others, is this web site. http://bbqjew.com/

ricks68
07-03-2011, 07:10 PM
I think maybe it's time to change the name of the thread to "Saucy". With that label it would be a more accurate reflection of what usually goes on in this thread. Y'all can then proceed to have a saucy talk about the different sauces that give the NC pulled pork its flavor.

To those of us in Texas, where the BBQ flavor is actually contained within the meat, and the sauce that covers it up is so disdained, we actually have discussions regarding the meat itself, and only use the fix-ins (the salt and pepper rub) to bring out the flavor instead of masking it. While some Texas establishments have BBQ sauce, if the meat cannot stand alone without it, we do not even bother to grade it. Hot sauce is used, however, but just to spice it up because we like our food HOT.

Coincidentally, I took a 2 hour trip to Snow's (in Lexington, Texas, by the way----just north of Giddings.) yesterday for a late breakfast and early lunch. It has to be that way because it is only open on Saturdays beginning at 8 am and stops serving when the food runs out. Luckily for us, we called at eight and put in a large order to go. By the time we got to the front of the line at 10:30, they had already run out of the chicken, regular sausage and the pork chops. We had to raid our to go order to fill in with the Jalapeņo sausage, brisket and ribs that we ordered. They have a board outside that they use to let people know what they have run out of as the morning progresses. Every time something gets crossed out a big groan goes up from the line.

While most of you know that I favor Kreuz Market in Lockhart, I am now a Snow's convert----and not because it is about 25 minutes closer. Best brisket without a doubt. Best moist smoked chicken ever. Ribs are outrageous. I still prefer Kreuz ribs, however, but this is a very close second because it is prepared a little differently and has a different distinct flavor than Kreuz. The sausage is the best, with a very smokey intense meat flavor with the perfect amount of grease. (On any other day of the week, I still think Kreuz Market has to be a very, very, very close second.)

Y'all just plain do not know what y'all missing.

(Hey, Deac and Dress, y'all know I am just bein' myself on this one. Hope to see you guys again real soon.):D

ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I think maybe it's time to change the name of the thread to "Saucy". With that label it would be a more accurate reflection of what usually goes on in this thread. Y'all can then proceed to have a saucy talk about the different sauces that give the NC pulled pork its flavor.

To those of us in Texas, where the BBQ flavor is actually contained within the meat, and the sauce that covers it up is so disdained, we actually have discussions regarding the meat itself, and only use the fix-ins (the salt and pepper rub) to bring out the flavor instead of masking it. While some Texas establishments have BBQ sauce, if the meat cannot stand alone without it, we do not even bother to grade it. Hot sauce is used, however, but just to spice it up because we like our food HOT.

Coincidentally, I took a 2 hour trip to Snow's (in Lexington, Texas, by the way----just north of Giddings.) yesterday for a late breakfast and early lunch. It has to be that way because it is only open on Saturdays beginning at 8 am and stops serving when the food runs out. Luckily for us, we called at eight and put in a large order to go. By the time we got to the front of the line at 10:30, they had already run out of the chicken, regular sausage and the pork chops. We had to raid our to go order to fill in with the Jalapeņo sausage, brisket and ribs that we ordered. They have a board outside that they use to let people know what they have run out of as the morning progresses. Every time something gets crossed out a big groan goes up from the line.

While most of you know that I favor Kreuz Market in Lockhart, I am now a Snow's convert----and not because it is about 25 minutes closer. Best brisket without a doubt. Best moist smoked chicken ever. Ribs are outrageous. I still prefer Kreuz ribs, however, but this is a very close second because it is prepared a little differently and has a different distinct flavor than Kreuz. The sausage is the best, with a very smokey intense meat flavor with the perfect amount of grease. (On any other day of the week, I still think Kreuz Market has to be a very, very, very close second.)

(Hey, Deac and Dress, y'all know I am just bein' myself on this one. Hope to see you guys again real soon.):D

ricks

Now, Ricks, you know I've not selected any one barbecue as the only and the best. Barbecue is like men..... varied, some more interesting than others. :cool:

rthomas
07-03-2011, 08:34 PM
LOL. That's because the Confederacy invented BBQ possum and rat spare ribs when food was scarce in 1865.

If there was a "Like" button, I'd push it.

On a bad note, there is NO BBQ in WV. So I make my own.

I smoke some butts with apple and hickory wood.

and then some modification of this:
2 cups apple cider vinegar
3 tblsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tblsp brown sugar
1 tblsp Cayenne pepper
1 tblsp hot pepper sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Chop the pork, put in a pot add the sauce and simmer for a little while.

Reminds me of home.

devildeac
07-03-2011, 11:09 PM

ricks

Yea, and if you had defended Arizona a lot better in the Sweet Sixteen, I most likely would have joined you at Snow's and/or Kreuz Market AND delivered your Young Guns poster I am still storing in my hallway;).

Jarhead
07-03-2011, 11:41 PM
I just noticed something. This thread was started more than four years ago, by me. It is named Duke vs Kentucky, because it is about barbecue, and as such is granted the privilege of residing on the EK board. The history of this tradition goes back much further in time, maybe about the time of Laettner's shot. Changing it to Saucy would not be good.

I noticed some reference to pulled pork in connection with eastern NC bbq. Someone else mentioned chopped, and that's the way I prefer it. I remember, back in the day, asking a guy at Dillards in Durham why he used two knives, one in each hand, while chopping. He said that they were finding two many fingers in the bbq when they used one knife. I swear on my parking pass that that's the truth.

Bob Green
07-03-2011, 11:57 PM
He said that they were finding two many fingers in the bbq when they used one knife.

I'm sure you meant "too" many fingers in the bbq! Of course one is too many so if they found two that would be twice times too many. ;)

OZZIE4DUKE
07-04-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm sure you meant "too" many fingers in the bbq! Of course one is too many so if they found two that would be twice times too many.
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif
Two is definitely two too many!

Jarhead
07-04-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm sure you meant "too" many fingers in the bbq! Of course one is too many so if they found two that would be twice times too many. ;)
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif
Two is definitely two too many!

Crikey, How'd I do that? Please don't take my spork away.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/102.gif

ricks68
07-04-2011, 04:20 PM
I just noticed something. This thread was started more than four years ago, by me. It is named Duke vs Kentucky, because it is about barbecue, and as such is granted the privilege of residing on the EK board. The history of this tradition goes back much further in time, maybe about the time of Laettner's shot. Changing it to Saucy would not be good.

I think you know I was just pushing some buttons. I would NEVER want the name of this thread to change, or be off the EK thread. It has always been just way too classic.

And for those out there that did not already know, I can back up Jarhead on his statement of the Duke vs Kentucky thread being on the old board for a long, long time before this newer format existed. Although I did just notice that the Laettner shot even preceded Juliovision, so unless it started before DBR, that cannot be right. Is there anyone out there that knows if it came up somewhere before DBR and we got it from that, or is there a way to go back into some archives out there in the WWW to find out when it actually did first appear on DBR?

ricks

ricks68
07-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Yea, and if you had defended Arizona a lot better in the Sweet Sixteen, I most likely would have joined you at Snow's and/or Kreuz Market AND delivered your Young Guns poster I am still storing in my hallway;).

First of all, I am just a naturalized citizen of the Great Country of Texas, so there should be no "you" in regards to me defending Arizona. My dual citizenship with the US includes the state of NC where my alma mater is and my unwavering loyalty resides.

Second, since the Longhorns do not consider defense to be a part of the game, any reference to that aspect is inconsequential and, therefore, not on topic (as far as they are concerned).

Third, I am trying soooooooooooooooo hard to get that poster by driving in from Asheville while catching a game. It is just not working out. And, as you know, it's been 3 1/2 years now with no luck. I am stuck in the land of hard-pan (that's what we call fairways out here) while looking every single day for land to buy in Asheville. (Anyone out there know of any land for sale out in the 28804 zip code, please let me know.) That would make it so much easier to come in for games than flying in from Houston all the time.

Fourth, we can still hit Snow's and Kreuz the next time we make the FF in either Houston in '16 or Arlington in '14 (Dallas) or San Antonio. There is not much difference in their distance from any of the 3 cities. :)

ricks

devildeac
07-04-2011, 05:10 PM
First of all, I am just a naturalized citizen of the Great Country of Texas, so there should be no "you" in regards to me defending Arizona. My dual citizenship with the US includes the state of NC where my alma mater is and my unwavering loyalty resides.

Second, since the Longhorns do not consider defense to be a part of the game, any reference to that aspect is inconsequential and, therefore, not on topic (as far as they are concerned).

Third, I am trying soooooooooooooooo hard to get that poster by driving in from Asheville while catching a game. It is just not working out. And, as you know, it's been 3 1/2 years now with no luck. I am stuck in the land of hard-pan (that's what we call fairways out here) while looking every single day for land to buy in Asheville. (Anyone out there know of any land for sale out in the 28804 zip code, please let me know.) That would make it so much easier to come in for games than flying in from Houston all the time.

Fourth, we can still hit Snow's and Kreuz the next time we make the FF in either Houston in '16 or Arlington in '14 (Dallas) or San Antonio. There is not much difference in their distance from any of the 3 cities. :)

ricks

You know darned well we can't even begin to speculate who we will be recruiting, who our PG will be, which players will play how many minutes or how many Plumlees will still be around for any of those years, so I am not making any travel reservations:rolleyes:;). Yet. But, if/when we do, I will allow an extra day (or more!) to partake of an extra serving or three of the finest 'cue the state of Texas has to offer.

CameronBornAndBred
07-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Know what's fun? When a Kentucky fan runs a simulated 7 game matchup between the 2010 teams and our guys come out on top. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon_tease.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=3704#)

I don't believe that 2009-10 UK was looking past Bob Huggins' team in that game, but there no doubt was some anticipation of the possible matchup between the two blue-bloods. It had been a long time, since 2001 in fact, since the Blue Devils and the Wildcats had met each other on the hardwood. It excited fans of both schools at the possibility, but nobody wanted to look past their instant opponents.
In the end, it would be West Virgina who would face, and fall, to the Blue Devils, who went on to dodge a last-second rim-out by Gordon Hayward (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/players/59451/gordon-hayward) to win the 2010 NCAA Tournament championship. But what would have happened if UK had won versus the 'Eers? WhatIfSports (http://whatifsports.com/ncaab/default.asp#top) will give us their version of how it all worked out, after the jump.

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2011/7/13/2274518/kenucky-basketball-fantasy-matchup-between-uk-and-duke-2009-10

devildeac
07-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Know what's fun? When a Kentucky fan runs a simulated 7 game matchup between the 2010 teams and our guys come out on top. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon_tease.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=3704#)

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2011/7/13/2274518/kenucky-basketball-fantasy-matchup-between-uk-and-duke-2009-10

HA! Wrong thread. This is the BBQ thread;). You want the 2010 NC thread back on page 2 or 3:rolleyes:.

Hey, wait a minute. Just to get you back on topic here, are you entering some North Carolina BBQ throw down some time in the very near future? Are you folks gonna call yourselves the Duke Two (or Three) True Blue Brew 'Cue Crew or something like that:cool:?

CameronBornAndBred
07-14-2011, 09:32 AM
HA! Wrong thread. This is the BBQ thread;). You want the 2010 NC thread back on page 2 or 3:rolleyes:.

Hey, wait a minute. Just to get you back on topic here, are you entering some North Carolina BBQ throw down some time in the very near future? Are you folks gonna call yourselves the Duke Two (or Three) True Blue Brew 'Cue Crew or something like that:cool:?
Why yes we are! True Blue 'Que Crew...and I hope there is a team from Kentucky there just so I can show them how barbecue is supposed to be done.
http://www.bbqthrowdown.net/

devildeac
07-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Man, we just finished dinner and I'm hungry again:

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/07/29/best-barbecue-joints-where-pitmasters-stop-to-rustle-up-some-c/#4239642

Has anyone here ever eaten at that BBQ joint?