PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs Kentucky

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Olympic Fan
02-19-2015, 01:06 PM
I went to Ed's a few weeks back on a Monday. My friend and I were the only ones there. Really good que, nice environment, decent staff...but empty! Sad to here it's moving.

I got to eat there -- great food, good staff ... but high prices and a bad, BAD location.

devildeac
02-19-2015, 01:30 PM
I like The Pit in Raleigh but haven't been there in several years. The BBQ items were very good as were the several sides that we had at our table but kinda spendy. Another advantage is that it's near Tasty Beverage and Crank Arm Brewery;).

elvis14
02-19-2015, 02:01 PM
I like The Pit in Raleigh but haven't been there in several years. The BBQ items were very good as were the several sides that we had at our table but kinda spendy. Another advantage is that it's near Tasty Beverage and Crank Arm Brewery;).

My wife and I made it to The Pit in Raleigh last year. They had a wait but text your mobile phone when you're table is ready so we were able to walk down to the Crank Arm Brewery and share a few beers. The Pit was good...so was the beer. The one thing I'll say about The Pit is that it was very busy and crowded and that took away from the experience. Thank goodness for the brewery!

Jim3k
07-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Looks like another contender for NC style BBQ. And the President, Hillary and the Secret Service all agree.

Midwood Smokehouse in Charlotte. (http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article87961382.html)

diablesseblu
07-07-2016, 07:12 PM
A friend (whose palate I completely trust) raved yesterday that this Durham place has the best pulled pork they've ever tasted. They also loved the key lime and chocolate chess pies. Maybe we can forgive that the pitmaster is a UNC Law grad and one of his co-owners, a Morehead Scholar?

http://www.picnicdurham.com/

http://www.fayobserver.com/living/fayetteville-native-serves-up-the-barbecue-in-durham-restaurant/article_b99da29e-90e3-5166-8674-d35b242364ec.html

moonpie23
07-07-2016, 08:22 PM
dear NC,

vinegar on a pig does NOT mean it's BBQ........it's just sour pork..

debby downer...

killerleft
07-08-2016, 01:48 PM
dear NC,

vinegar on a pig does NOT mean it's BBQ....it's just sour pork..

debby downer...

You have chosen your words... poorkly.

rasputin
07-08-2016, 02:16 PM

Sow what?

Indoor66
07-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Sow what?

Always dealing in the slop.

devildeac
07-08-2016, 07:01 PM

Sow what?

Always dealing in the slop.

Nobody porcine any words here today.

Indoor66
07-08-2016, 07:45 PM
Nobody porcine any words here today.

How about a song: Swiney, how I love ya, how I love ya?

Jarhead
07-08-2016, 09:52 PM
How about a song: Swiney, how I love ya, how I love ya?

I started this thread almost 10 years ago. My intent was to seriously discuss BBQ, not to make fun of it. 6511

devildeac
07-08-2016, 10:14 PM
I started this thread almost 10 years ago. My intent was to seriously discuss BBQ, not to make fun of it. 6511

Ahh, how times have changed. Next thing you know, folks will be talking about how many minutes per meal we'll get if we order the chopped or the pulled pork, if the 2017 brisket will ever sign the letter of intent, whether the baked beans or the slaw will be in the starting platter and who'll be doing mop-up minutes with the hush puppies and sandwich buns. ;)

Indoor66
07-09-2016, 08:00 AM
Ahh, how times have changed. Next thing you know, folks will be talking about how many minutes per meal we'll get if we order the chopped or the pulled pork, if the 2017 brisket will ever sign the letter of intent, whether the baked beans or the slaw will be in the starting platter and who'll be doing mop-up minutes with the hush puppies and sandwich buns. ;)

Nah. It will be a statistically based time/motion study on the efficiency of chopped vs pulled pork sandwiches with a sub-topic on the comparative height and weight of the different sandwiches with a factor of type of bread thrown in to the computations. :mad::p:cool:

ricks68
07-09-2016, 12:41 PM

Daaah, dah dah dah
Daaah, dah dah dah
Daaah daaah daaah !

🐂

ricks

ricks68
07-09-2016, 12:46 PM
C'mon folks, how is it that we are now 9100 posts behind the only other really pertinent thread on the boards?

ricks

CameronBlue
07-09-2016, 12:56 PM
C'mon folks, how is it that we are now 9100 posts behind the only other really pertinent thread on the boards?

ricks

Well I'll pose a question to see if we can re-establish this thread's usefulness. I presume somewhere upthread someone has rated the Durham area Q-strants but as a local I'd love to see such a list again. There's a new place at the corner of Fayetteville Rd and NC54 in Durham. Any reviews?

ricks68
07-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Well I'll pose a question to see if we can re-establish this thread's usefulness. I presume somewhere upthread someone has rated the Durham area Q-strants but as a local I'd love to see such a list again. There's a new place at the corner of Fayetteville Rd and NC54 in Durham. Any reviews?

Thanks, CB. Need udated info for my next sojourn back to Derm.

ricks

devildeac
07-09-2016, 02:36 PM

I'll start/try:

Backyard BBQ (on Hwy 55S), Q Shack, The Pit.

Yes, I did omit Bullocks and Allen and Son based on the fact we haven't eaten at either for years. And, for good reasons from what folks have written here in the last few years.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-09-2016, 09:13 PM
It's called City Barbecue. Went today with the fam. Have to say I was not that impressed. The cue and the brisket were both a bit dry and I didn't get the smokey flavor I was expecting. I may give them another shot but it's hard when the Backyard is so close and so good.

devildeac
07-09-2016, 10:18 PM
It's called City Barbecue. Went today with the fam. Have to say I was not that impressed. The cue and the brisket were both a bit dry and I didn't get the smokey flavor I was expecting. I may give them another shot but it's hard when the Backyard is so close and so good.

We've been to the one in Cary and thought it good but not outstanding. We're also getting one in North Raleigh about 2 miles from our house. Still might be worth a return trip.

moonpie23
07-10-2016, 09:58 AM
new place in Apex called The Blistered Pig.......we enjoyed it...

elvis14
07-11-2016, 10:30 AM
I'll start/try:

Backyard BBQ (on Hwy 55S), Q Shack, The Pit.

Yes, I did omit Bullocks and Allen and Son based on the fact we haven't eaten at either for years. And, for good reasons from what folks have written here in the last few years.

I'll have to give Backyard BBQ another chance. Went there a few times and generally liked the food and loved the 'hole in the wall' atmosphere. But the last time we went there for lunch our food was bad. There were 4 of us and all 4 were unhappy and we haven't been back in 4-5 months. Hopefully, they were just having a bad day.

Thurber Whyte
07-11-2016, 10:18 PM
When I come to Durham, Byrd’s BBQ (http://www.byrdsbbq.com/Plates.html) is in my rotation. I recommend it.

I do not come back as often as I used to, but, when I do, I try to hit Bullock’s, Byrd’s and Backyard. I keep hearing how Bullock’s isn’t what it used to be, but it always tastes good to me. It tastes like what I remember from 25 years ago as a student, and, if it has slipped over the years, it is not by much. I share the enthusiasm for Backyard and it may, indeed, be the best in town, but I never felt that it was head and shoulders above the other places. I only ate at the Q Shack once, but I really liked it.

Allen and Sons seems to produce strong reactions for or against, but, the one time I ate there, it induced neither joy nor sadness, but a resounding meh. (Yes, I ate at the correct one.)

My one caveat is that I focus exclusively, if not manically, on pork barbeque and hush puppies. I cannot speak to other items such as ribs or Brunswick stew. Whatever their merits, they just waste stomach space when pork barbeque is available.

Tripping William
07-12-2016, 03:25 PM
Food for thought (not-quite-literally, but close): Southern Living weighs in with The South's Top 50 BBQ Joints (http://www.southernliving.com/travel/bbq-restaurants) of 2016. It includes at least one Kansas City establishment, and a number of Texas locations, so they use "South" fairly liberally. Lots of familiar names, including some that generate a little controversy in these parts. Enough to make your mouth water, however.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-12-2016, 04:59 PM
Food for thought (not-quite-literally, but close): Southern Living weighs in with The South's Top 50 BBQ Joints (http://www.southernliving.com/travel/bbq-restaurants) of 2016. It includes at least one Kansas City establishment, and a number of Texas locations, so they use "South" fairly liberally. Lots of familiar names, including some that generate a little controversy in these parts. Enough to make your mouth water, however.
Okay, I'll bite...

Any list with Allen & Son as #2 in the entire South has no credibility. Zero. None. Maybe #2 in chapel hill.

How could they include Wilber's but not the Backyard BBQ Pit?

Gates in KC is just so-so. Joe's is far and away the best. But at least Joe's was on the list.

tbyers11
07-12-2016, 05:06 PM
Okay, I'll bite...

Any list with Allen & Son as #2 in the entire South has no credibility. Zero. None. Maybe #2 in chapel hill.

How could they include Wilber's but not the Backyard BBQ Pit?

Gates in KC is just so-so. Joe's is far and away the best. But at least Joe's was on the list.

No comment on what should (or shouldn't) be included but wanted to point out that the slideshow is in alphabetical order and doesn't rank from 1-50

superdave
07-12-2016, 05:29 PM
I check out the food truck map for DC about once a week. Today I decided to go for the Carnivore BBQ Food Truck.

http://carnbbq.com/macattack/

I got the Mac Attack with brisket. It's a large serving of mac n cheese with brisket on top plus some hot sauce on top of that. I do not recommend trying this unless you can leave work for the day and go lay down.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-12-2016, 07:18 PM
No comment on what should (or shouldn't) be included but wanted to point out that the slideshow is in alphabetical order and doesn't rank from 1-50
Well, I feel dumb.

Though I will always argue any list of good cue that includes Allen & Son. Now, if they did a list of places that served the greatest quantity of inedible chunks in a quart of barbecue, A&S would win hands down.

Tripping William
07-12-2016, 08:20 PM
Well, I feel dumb.

Though I will always argue any list of good cue that includes Allen & Son. Now, if they did a list of places that served the greatest quantity of inedible chunks in a quart of barbecue, A&S would win hands down.

A&S was precisely what I had in mind when referring to "controversy." :o

Olympic Fan
07-12-2016, 08:43 PM
When I come to Durham, Byrd’s BBQ (http://www.byrdsbbq.com/Plates.html) is in my rotation. I recommend it.

I do not come back as often as I used to, but, when I do, I try to hit Bullock’s, Byrd’s and Backyard. I keep hearing how Bullock’s isn’t what it used to be, but it always tastes good to me. It tastes like what I remember from 25 years ago as a student, and, if it has slipped over the years, it is not by much. I share the enthusiasm for Backyard and it may, indeed, be the best in town, but I never felt that it was head and shoulders above the other places. I only ate at the Q Shack once, but I really liked it.

Allen and Sons seems to produce strong reactions for or against, but, the one time I ate there, it induced neither joy nor sadness, but a resounding meh. (Yes, I ate at the correct one.)

My one caveat is that I focus exclusively, if not manically, on pork barbeque and hush puppies. I cannot speak to other items such as ribs or Brunswick stew. Whatever their merits, they just waste stomach space when pork barbeque is available.

I'm a long-time Durham resident and I still regard Bullocks as the best 'que restaurant in Durham.

I've also heard complaints that it's gone downhill, but I go there 2-3 times a month and I've never had a problem -- the service is always great ... the prices are reasonable ... and the quality of the food is every bit as good as it was when I first ate there in the early 1960s (when it was located about 1/2 mile farther out Hillsborough Road). I admit that my favorite is their sliced barbeque. Also, the best fried chicken in the Triangle.

I know they had a food poisoning incident about 6-7 years ago, but that was not in the restaurant (it happened during a catering affair when some potato salad went bad).

I also eat frequently at the Q-Shack, Backyard Barbeque and Byrd's - they are all excellent, but not as good as Bullocks. I haven't been to Allen & Son for over 10 years -- I cut them out of my personal rotation because they weren't nearly as good as the competition.

BTW: I would also recommend the Hillsborough Barbeque Company (on the western edge of Hillsborough). Best Brunswick Stew I've ever had (they include rabbit meat) -- the 'que is good too.

devildeac
07-12-2016, 10:10 PM
I'm a long-time Durham resident and I still regard Bullocks as the best 'que restaurant in Durham.

I've also heard complaints that it's gone downhill, but I go there 2-3 times a month and I've never had a problem -- the service is always great ... the prices are reasonable ... and the quality of the food is every bit as good as it was when I first ate there in the early 1960s (when it was located about 1/2 mile farther out Hillsborough Road). I admit that my favorite is their sliced barbeque. Also, the best fried chicken in the Triangle.

I know they had a food poisoning incident about 6-7 years ago, but that was not in the restaurant (it happened during a catering affair when some potato salad went bad).

I also eat frequently at the Q-Shack, Backyard Barbeque and Byrd's - they are all excellent, but not as good as Bullocks. I haven't been to Allen & Son for over 10 years -- I cut them out of my personal rotation because they weren't nearly as good as the competition.

BTW: I would also recommend the Hillsborough Barbeque Company (on the western edge of Hillsborough). Best Brunswick Stew I've ever had (they include rabbit meat) -- the 'que is good too.

Potato salad went bad? Was it anything like this:

Jarhead
07-12-2016, 10:46 PM
Somewhere in my fuzzy memory I heard that Bullocks gets its bbq already prepared from Smithfields. Is that how it works now?

ricks68
07-12-2016, 11:29 PM
Well, I feel dumb.

Gosh, that's how it tasted to me the only time I tried it about 10 years ago. Really.

ricks

Thurber Whyte
07-13-2016, 07:28 PM
Somewhere in my fuzzy memory I heard that Bullocks gets its bbq already prepared from Smithfields. Is that how it works now?

My equally fuzzy memory is that a local blogger made an accusation along these lines and Bullock’s sued him for defamation, resulting in the blogger making a retraction.

Devilwin
01-02-2017, 05:32 PM
Lexington BBQ. Whether it's Speedy's, Honey Monk's, BBQ Center, Smoky Joe's or any number of local joints, it's hard to beat. I love down east style too, but prefer the Lexington style. Carter Brother's in High Point. Kepley's in High Point.

FadedTackyShirt
01-03-2017, 09:04 AM
Have eaten at Stamey's by the Coliseum multiple times when Duke has played in GSO and it was always pretty good. Last time was a few years ago and it wasn't very good. A buddy ate there before the Elon game and agreed it had declined. Has there been an ownership change in recent years?

Realize Bullock's gets bimodal reviews here, but what's the board consensus on their sandos at CIS? Prefer Hursey's, but may have to have a tasting during the NCSU game in a few weeks.

devildeac
01-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Not really Duke vs Kentucky but still on topic:

http://assets.amuniversal.com/480cc6b0aab7013418cc005056a9545d

FadedTackyShirt
01-08-2017, 12:53 PM

Going to be in Durham in a few weeks. Very familiar with Bullock's, Q Shack, A&S, and Backyard, but have never eaten at Byrd's, The Pit, and Hog Heaven. Which of the latter three is the best choice for lunch?

Tripping William
01-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Going to be in Durham in a few weeks. Very familiar with Bullock's, Q Shack, A&S, and Backyard, but have never eaten at Byrd's, The Pit, and Hog Heaven. Which of the latter three is the best choice for lunch?

The Pit is next door to Fullsteam Brewery, making it "the best" by definition. :) Plus, the Q is quite good.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-08-2017, 01:23 PM
The Pit, plain and simple, is the pits. Don't do it. Just don't.

devildeac
04-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Not sure where to post this but, I think the press release came from Franklin, TN, which borders NC and Kentucky, and it's pork, so what the heck.

The new Hardee's biscuit (also available in burrito form):

APORKALYPSE

"This hefty breakfast biscuit will set you back 920 calories, 66 grams of fat, 25 grams of saturated fat, 240 milligrams of cholesterol, 2540 milligrams of sodium, 46 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fiber, 4 grams of sugar, and 35 grams of protein."

Your basic heart attack in the morning.

Words fail me.

YmoBeThere
04-08-2017, 05:27 PM
Not sure where to post this but, I think the press release came from Franklin, TN, which borders NC and Kentucky, and it's pork, so what the heck.

APORKALYPSE

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7339&stc=1

"This hefty breakfast biscuit will set you back 920 calories, 66 grams of fat, 25 grams of saturated fat, 240 milligrams of cholesterol, 2540 milligrams of sodium, 46 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fiber, 4 grams of sugar, and 35 grams of protein."

Words fail me.

The Franklin, TN just south of Nashville?

devildeac
04-08-2017, 05:31 PM

Yes, that is indeed the origin of the press release from 2 different sources I saw.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-08-2017, 05:33 PM

APORKALYPSE

Words fail me.

Surely you've found that all that is easily washed out with a foamy brew.
Love, Ima

devildeac
04-08-2017, 05:35 PM
Surely you've found that all that is easily washed out with a foamy brew.
Love, Ima

Well, alcohol is a solvent but it'd take a lot of ABV to dissolve that much fat from your cardiovascular system. :o

Indoor66
04-08-2017, 07:02 PM

APORKALYPSE

Words fail me.

Damn, devildeac is trolling for business! I didn't think that was permitted at DBR. 😙😎

devildeac
04-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Damn, devildeac is trolling for business! I didn't think that was permitted at DBR. 😙😎

OldPhiKap
04-08-2017, 08:03 PM

ricks68
04-09-2017, 01:37 AM

APORKALYPSE

Words fail me.

You know better than to go this far off-topic. Bacon is NOT BBQ. Neither is sliced ham nor a pork breakfast sausage:rolleyes: Now you have debased this thread to the point that it is just like all the other threads on DBR. Just because the title of this board is the "Off-Topic" board, didn't mean you had to go and do it.:( Especially on the sacred BBQ thread.:eek:

ricks

ricks68
04-09-2017, 01:46 AM
You know better than to go this far off-topic. Bacon is NOT BBQ. Neither is sliced ham nor a pork breakfast sausage:rolleyes: Now you have debased this thread to the point that it is just like all the other threads on DBR. Just because the title of this board is the "Off-Topic" board, didn't mean you had to go and do it.:( Especially on the sacred BBQ thread.:eek:

ricks

My bad. Please forgive me. You went off-topic on a thread on the EK Board (which appears to be a possible requirement for all threads on it), but it still hurts to see probably the only thread on this board that has remained on-topic since its creation finally lose that distinction.:(

ricks

Indoor66
04-09-2017, 07:41 AM
My bad. Please forgive me. You went off-topic on a thread on the EK Board (which appears to be a possible requirement for all threads on it), but it still hurts to see probably the only thread on this board that has remained on-topic since its creation finally lose that distinction.:(

ricks

Nah. This went off the rails back in the Parquet Floor days - many times. The only thing sacred on this Board is that all threads are subject to stream of consciousness posting.:o

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-09-2017, 07:47 AM

ricks

<<COURSE CORRECTION>>

Havr you tried the brisket at Bonfire on Patton Avenue yet? As someone who tends more towards pork than beef, their brisket is the best I have had in town.

Also, local rumor has it that Doc Brown's BBQ in Candler is the best bet in the area. Haven't tried it, but it is on my short list

devildeac
04-09-2017, 07:49 AM
You know better than to go this far off-topic. Bacon is NOT BBQ. Neither is sliced ham nor a pork breakfast sausage:rolleyes: Now you have debased this thread to the point that it is just like all the other threads on DBR. Just because the title of this board is the "Off-Topic" board, didn't mean you had to go and do it. Especially on the sacred BBQ thread.:eek:

ricks

Well, I didn't think it deserved its own thread and this was the most closely related topic, so I thought placing the post here might be acceptable. Perhaps if I added some discussion about how many minutes each pork product should be cooked, or providing links (yes, links) to the kcal% each player on the biscuit (or burrito) would provide, either as a carbohydrate, protein or fat. Maybe even discussing what additions/substitutions others might recruit to the biscuit, like some pulled pork, chicken or brisket, that way providing more depth to the final product.

Never mind. Forget it. Maybe the mods should move it to a new thread and re-title it Swine-a-geddon or, just as the biscuit/burrito are named, APORKALYPSE.

:p:o

JStuart
04-09-2017, 08:00 AM
Well, I didn't think it deserved its own thread and this was the most closely related topic, so I thought placing the post here might be acceptable. Perhaps if I added some discussion about how many minutes each pork product should be cooked, or providing links (yes, links) to the kcal% each player on the biscuit (or burrito) would provide, either as a carbohydrate, protein or fat. Maybe even discussing what additions/substitutions others might recruit to the biscuit, like some pulled pork, chicken or brisket, that way providing more depth to the final product.

Never mind. Forget it. Maybe the mods should move it to a new thread and re-title it Swine-a-geddon or, just as the biscuit/burrito are named, APORKALYPSE.

:p:o

I'm informed I must spread my comments around before I can comment on DevilDeac again. Otherwise I'd declare that this is a new bench -mark for this discussion. The illustration alone qualifies as a 3-pointer!
That's all I have, until more caffeine kicks in. Happy Palm Sunday!
JStuart

elvis14
04-17-2017, 09:55 AM
Damn, devildeac is trolling for business! I didn't think that was permitted at DBR. ����

My first thought was that food like this will keep devildeac in business. If I was a heart doctor I'd look at that and think "Hardees just served up a brand new boat, or maybe beach house!".

922 calories? Wow, when I use MyFitnessPal it gives me 1930 for a day. Any word yet if Hardees is selling them at a 2 fer price?

I think I'll just stick to a proper PB&J

OldPhiKap
04-17-2017, 10:03 AM
A barbecue thread is already off-topic once it brings up beef.

Beef is brisket. BBQ is pork.

Just sayin'

devildeac
04-17-2017, 10:09 AM
My first thought was that food like this will keep devildeac in business. If I was a heart doctor I'd look at that and think "Hardees just served up a brand new boat, or maybe beach house!".

922 calories? Wow, when I use MyFitnessPal it gives me 1930 for a day. Any word yet if Hardees is selling them at a 2 fer price?

I think I'll just stick to a proper PB&J

I have seen coupons on-line for the BOGO but haven't received any yet in our Sunday newspaper inserts. I'll PM you if/when they arrive. I'll also make a public proclamation here.

(not quite a new boat or beach house but at least a couple monthly payments)

:o;)

lotusland
04-17-2017, 10:14 AM

Home of Moon Dawg's Tavern?

https://youtu.be/3M32iAwsOJM

OldPhiKap
04-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Home of Moon Dawg's Tavern?

https://youtu.be/3M32iAwsOJM

"Todd Snider Rules"

duketaylor
04-17-2017, 10:22 AM
Prince George County, Rte. 460 just east of Petersburg. Fishing buddy and I stopped by recently for lunch, BBQ sandwich which was shredded pork was decent but detected no smokiness, surmised it was oven-cooked. Bleh. No smoker out back or on property that I could see. Busy place, would go again if really hungry, but not worth making a trip just for it.

Devilwin
04-17-2017, 05:43 PM
Have eaten great Q all over NC. Eastern and western styles are both fantastic. My opinion of a great joint is Carter Bros in High Point. Great bbq, even a pulled BEEF bbq sandwich that is awesome! And four layer pig picking cakes made by little old ladies. I 'd go there just for the cake!:D

Native
04-17-2017, 07:02 PM
I miss Q-Shack.

That is all.

(It may not be the best, but it's my favorite.)

Olympic Fan
04-17-2017, 08:05 PM
I just drove up to Roxboro to visit Morristown BBQ Pit No. 2 (downtown).

The owners are associated with Backyard BBQ in Durham and Morristown Pit6 No. 1 (just outside Roxboro to the northeast).

Very pleasantly surprised. At least as good as Backyard BBQ in a better environment.

lotusland
04-28-2017, 06:17 AM
Bob's BBQ review:

Pulled off the interstate for gas in Oxford, NC and realized I had some time to spare and an appetite for some cue. Quick google brought up Bob's BBQ in nearby Creedmoor. Had a standard chopped pork plate with stew, slaw and pups. Cue was good, slaw was finely chopped and tasty, stew was sweet and very pleasing and the pups were moist and tasty. I got more than I could eat with a tea for $10. I'm not sure if they smoke the meat there and others in line favored the fried chicken and trout plates. Nevertheless I was impressed with Bob's and would stop in again. Please lemme know if I missed another good spot nearby.

MChambers
05-14-2017, 05:10 PM
Interesting story about the new world of 'cue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/this-is-the-future-of-barbecue-no-regions-no-rules-lots-of-innovation/2017/05/12/1938eff6-368a-11e7-b4ee-434b6d506b37_story.html?hpid=hp_regional-hp-cards_rhp-card-food%3Ahomepage%2Fcard&utm_term=.bfc5903dde45

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-14-2017, 05:47 PM
Food Network's Andrew Zimmern did a piece on Asheville at the beginning of the current season. Nice bit on a restaurant in the same building as my store, and a bit on 12 Bonrs Smokehouse, which also drew a sketch of East/West BBQ.

Worth a view.

Devilwin
05-14-2017, 09:39 PM
Lexington #1 is certainly one of the best in the state. Carter Brothers in High Point is very good as well. There have always been BBQ WARS, (NC vs Texas, vs Tennessee, vs Kansas, etc), and we here in NC even fight about "down east" and "Lexington style". I've had both many times, and love them both..
But remember, Lexington is called "World's BBQ Capital" for a reason..lol

lotusland
05-14-2017, 10:42 PM
So there are 2 Duke v Kentucky threads ?

devildeac
05-14-2017, 10:46 PM

Sounds/looks like we need a corporate merger here...

devildeac
05-14-2017, 10:49 PM
This might be worth visiting:

http://www.texaspit-bbq.com/\

Someone at Campbell Divinity School (can't recall whether he was a fellow student or current faculty member) with our younger son-in-law highly recommended this joint and he's from Texas. Hmmm...

ricks68
05-15-2017, 04:01 AM

I have no idea why I must have started this thread in 2010, since I knew the original existed was not my creation and I don't remember why I didn't go back to it, either. I request that this thread be merged with the original and give the credit to the original poster who started it. I know who the poster is, but I am a Crustie and can't remember at this time and it is just too late for me to look it up. :o Waaaay too late for me to be up. I'm outa here. Oh, and fix your link, dd. (Get rid of what is after the .com and it works.)

ricks

devildeac
05-15-2017, 07:18 AM
This might be worth visiting:

http://www.texaspit-bbq.com/\

Someone at Campbell Divinity School (can't recall whether he was a fellow student or current faculty member) with our younger son-in-law highly recommended this joint and he's from Texas. Hmmm...

I have no idea why I must have started this thread in 2010, since I knew the original existed was not my creation and I don't remember why I didn't go back to it, either. I request that this thread be merged with the original and give the credit to the original poster who started it. I know who the poster is, but I am a Crustie and can't remember at this time and it is just too late for me to look it up. :o Waaaay too late for me to be up. I'm outa here. Oh, and fix your link, dd. (Get rid of what is after the .com and it works.)

ricks

Link fixed. I have no idea how the \ got there-inadvertent key strokes, I guess. :o

http://www.texaspit-bbq.com/

devil84
05-15-2017, 08:43 AM

ricks

They've been merged. Enjoy!

devildeac
05-15-2017, 09:20 AM
They've been merged. Enjoy!

Almost like getting a combo platter from The Q Shack or BBQ Pit #1!

Thanks!

killerleft
05-15-2017, 02:04 PM
I have heard through the grapevine that the True Blue Cue Crew garnered a best in show in the coveted Ribs category at the Twin Rivers Cook Off that was held in New Bern, NC this weekend. Is this true?

ricks68
05-15-2017, 03:15 PM
I have heard through the grapevine that the True Blue Cue Crew garnered a best in show in the coveted Ribs category at the Twin Rivers Cook Off that was held in New Bern, NC this weekend. Is this true?

If so, they deserve it big time, as they make really good stuff!!!!!!!

ricks

CameronBornAndBred
05-15-2017, 03:58 PM
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7418&stc=1
Yep. Flying under our non-tailgate banner of TNT Smoke, we took first overall, helped in large part by ribs that the judges fell in love with.
This was the first cookoff this group has organized, so it was smaller, but to come out on top, even in a small competition, is a nice feeling. We are looking forward to competing in it next year, too...with more teams, and another victory. :cool:

devildeac
11-19-2017, 05:41 PM
Well, maybe not the most romantic or kindest statement to utter to your wife/girlfriend:

https://www.arcamax.com/newspics/cache/lw600/157/15786/1578671.jpg

:o

left_hook_lacey
11-20-2017, 10:42 AM
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7418&stc=1
Yep. Flying under our non-tailgate banner of TNT Smoke, we took first overall, helped in large part by ribs that the judges fell in love with.
This was the first cookoff this group has organized, so it was smaller, but to come out on top, even in a small competition, is a nice feeling. We are looking forward to competing in it next year, too...with more teams, and another victory. :cool:

All that wonderful meat smoking equipment, and a proven track record of successful cooks, and that guy in the picture still has to have his "Bo Time". That's a ringing endorsement for Bojangles'.:cool:

CameronBornAndBred
11-20-2017, 11:07 AM
All that wonderful meat smoking equipment, and a proven track record of successful cooks, and that guy in the picture still has to have his "Bo Time". That's a ringing endorsement for Bojangles'.:cool:

HA!!! That's TNTdevil. He has a love affair with The Boj'. (And Dunkin Donuts.)

elvis14
11-20-2017, 11:09 AM
HA!!! That's TNTdevil. He has a love affair with The Boj'. (And Dunkin Donuts.)

Who doesn't love Bo's and DD?

Nrrrrvous
11-20-2017, 11:12 AM

I'm more of a Bo's and KK fan myself. (careful not to mistype)

FadedTackyShirt
11-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Lexington #1 is certainly one of the best in the state. Carter Brothers in High Point is very good as well. There have always been BBQ WARS, (NC vs Texas, vs Tennessee, vs Kansas, etc), and we here in NC even fight about "down east" and "Lexington style". I've had both many times, and love them both..
But remember, Lexington is called "World's BBQ Capital" for a reason..lol

I’ve had Lexington #1 before and it was awesome. Ate at Speedy Lohr’s in Lexington in October since it was the only spot open on a Sunday. Was good, not great.

Sebastapol, CA is a quirky hippie town in Sonoma County, known for Gravenstein apples. Sebastapol developed an old apple warehouse/processing area into a restaurant district. One of the spots, BBQ Smokehouse Bistro, specializes in Southern BBQ (NC, Memphis, Texas). Surprisingly good NC style BBQ. An added bonus is an excellent nearby microbrewery, Crooked Goat Brewing, will fetch BBQ for you via golf cart.

devildeac
11-20-2017, 11:26 AM

Thank you. Thank you very much. (posted with my best Elvis accent :o)

sagegrouse
11-20-2017, 12:57 PM

As in, "Thank you verra much. Thank you verra, verra much."

devildeac
11-20-2017, 01:01 PM

That is indeed the expression/emphasis/accent/grammar-tology (:rolleyes:) I was trying to convey. :o

elvis14
11-20-2017, 04:11 PM

That is indeed the expression/emphasis/accent/grammar-tology (:rolleyes:) I was trying to convey. :o

Thanks for the chuckle, guys I needed it. Note that I'm an equal opportunity doughnut eater, KK, DD, etc. I'm in (there's a reason I've been spending so much time on a treadmill and breaking even).

devildeac
03-08-2018, 12:22 PM
You might be a redneck if...

...a family (or DBR) discussion about barbeque restaurants ended in a fist fight (or internet pissing match).

(bolded mine :o)

Hey, it's ACCT time which is always time to discuss 'cue.

Acymetric
03-08-2018, 12:27 PM
You might be a redneck if...

...a family (or DBR) discussion about barbeque restaurants ended in a fist fight (or internet pissing match).

(bolded mine :o)

Hey, it's ACCT time which is always time to discuss 'cue.

I assume you've tried some of that famous Brooklyn style BBQ? ;)

devildeac
03-08-2018, 12:55 PM

There's an article in the Raleigh News and Observer today that I'll try to link about that very subject. :rolleyes:

Hey, if it's good enough for Jimmy B, then, never mind...

:p

Reddevil
03-08-2018, 01:16 PM

Don't yankees refer to any kind of grilling as BBQ?

Tripping William
03-08-2018, 01:24 PM
Don't yankees refer to any kind of grilling as BBQ?

Not just Yankees. I have had to educate all of my Rocky Mountain family that barbecue is a food group, not an event. The event is a cook-out.

Reddevil
03-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Not just Yankees. I have had to educate all of my Rocky Mountain family that barbecue is a food group, not an event. The event is a cook-out.

Hmm, so BBQ is understood roughly from the Mason-Dixon line to the north, to the western edge of the central time zone huh? Then probably only includes from Daytona through the panhandle in Florida?

OldPhiKap
03-08-2018, 02:04 PM

I always explain that BBQ is a noun, not a verb.

Oh, and to my friends going to the game -- don't buy BBQ from a street cart vendor. Just, don't.

Tripping William
03-08-2018, 02:13 PM
I always explain that BBQ is a noun, not a verb.

If I did that, my peeps would interpret the noun to refer to the piece of equipment with which food is cooked over flame.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-08-2018, 02:46 PM
If I did that, my peeps would interpret the noun to refer to the piece of equipment with which food is cooked over flame.

you must hang with some yankees........

OZZIE4DUKE
05-22-2018, 10:47 PM
I went to the Q-Shack in Durham tonight for dinner. I was surprised they had western nc style Q, but it was delicious! As were their St. Louis style ribs. They were as tender as baby backs! I highly recommend Q-Shack!

HereBeforeCoachK
05-23-2018, 10:12 AM
I went to the Q-Shack in Durham tonight for dinner. I was surprised they had western nc style Q, but it was delicious! As were their St. Louis style ribs. They were as tender as baby backs! I highly recommend Q-Shack!

Western NC style pork, and St. Louis dry ribs? Man, them's fighting words in eastern NC....

JStuart
05-23-2018, 12:43 PM

Some of us native Durhamites have issues with the fact that the Q Shack folks are originally from Texas, so I've been told.
Bullock's is still the gold standard, and a close runner up is 'Picnic' on Cole Mill Road...although rumor has it that the owner is a unc grad...
The Pit, off of Geer Street, and near the old Bulls ballpark, is just OK, in my book; plus, their brunswick stew attempt is pitiful.
My opinion, and I've eaten BBQ since the '50's, when the Little Acorn was THE BBQ place in Durham.
(tosses lighted match, and stands back!)
JStuart

killerleft
05-23-2018, 01:23 PM
My wife and I found a new (to us) barbeque spot in North Wilkesboro late last month during a rainy Thursday at Merlefest. Called Brushy Mountain Smokehouse & Creamery, they turn out pulled pork, ribs, and chicken using natural gas and hickory logs.

We only tried the pulled pork. It is done Lexington style. I got mine with dip, my wife got hers without. Very good, on a par with Country BBQ in Greensboro. Brushy Mountain also has a very good old-style salad bar, which we got instead of the two sides. They also do catfish and other dinners.

The Creamery side, which you have to pass on the way to the seating area for the restaurant, is excellent, and yes, they make their ice cream in-house.

One thing I learned at Merlefest: Tommy Emmanuel is a superb guitar player.

Acymetric
05-23-2018, 03:23 PM
Some of us native Durhamites have issues with the fact that the Q Shack folks are originally from Texas, so I've been told.
Bullock's is still the gold standard, and a close runner up is 'Picnic' on Cole Mill Road...although rumor has it that the owner is a unc grad...
The Pit, off of Geer Street, and near the old Bulls ballpark, is just OK, in my book; plus, their brunswick stew attempt is pitiful.
My opinion, and I've eaten BBQ since the '50's, when the Little Acorn was THE BBQ place in Durham.
JStuart

I may be alone in this, but I feel like Bullock's has gone drastically down-hill over the last 5 or 10 years. I probably prefer Backyard BBQ at this point, am I crazy or have others noticed?

I have become a fan of Ole Time BBQ in Raleigh (just outside of Cary).

Indoor66
05-23-2018, 04:14 PM
JStuart

I agree with JStuart: The Little Acorn was the best. Their Hush Puppies were to die for - in addition to outstanding Q and Brunswick Stew. The Roycrofts could really cook.

RPS
05-23-2018, 04:35 PM
I agree with JStuart: The Little Acorn was the best. Their Hush Puppies were to die for - in addition to outstanding Q and Brunswick Stew. The Roycrofts could really cook.
As I was instructed by one of the younger generation Roycrofts (who my wife taught): "It's Ā-kern."

devildeac
05-23-2018, 05:42 PM
JStuart

Might have to have a 'Cue, brew and Bulls night sometime this summer. ;)

Devilwin
05-23-2018, 05:52 PM
I wonder if anyone remembers Hendrix BBQ on 64 east of Mocksville, near the community of Fork. Place looked like a big chicken coop, but man, they had the best Lexington style 'Q around! And great onion rings too. I believe they've since closed..

Indoor66
05-23-2018, 06:23 PM
Another great place for Lexington style was Blackwelder's in Salisbury. The hickory wood was stacked behind the restaurant. The hog was cooked and chopped/sliced onsite.

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-23-2018, 07:21 PM
I may be alone in this, but I feel like Bullock's has gone drastically down-hill over the last 5 or 10 years. I probably prefer Backyard BBQ at this point, am I crazy or have others noticed?

I have become a fan of Ole Time BBQ in Raleigh (just outside of Cary).
I see it’s time for my annual “Backyard BBQ Pit #1 is by far the best ‘cue in the triangle and please don’t even mention Allen & Son” post.

That is all.

Steven43
05-23-2018, 07:34 PM
I see it’s time for my annual “Backyard BBQ Pit #1 is by far the best ‘cue in the triangle and please don’t even mention Allen & Son” post.

That is all.
Ate at Allen & Son once about five years ago. Have not felt the urge to return. Average at best. Every time I visit Austin, TX, I make at least one 40-minute drive south to a little town named Lockhart. It has at least four of the best bbq joints you will ever find. It’s bbq heaven.

Acymetric
05-23-2018, 08:00 PM

That is all.

I was not impressed with Allen & Son. Backyard BBQ has really good ribs and brisket too.

duketaylor
05-23-2018, 08:07 PM
Ate at Allen & Son once about five years ago. Have not felt the urge to return. Average at best. Every time I visit Austin, TX, I make at least one 40-minute drive south to a little town named Lockhart. It has at least four of the best bbq joints you will ever find. It’s bbq heaven.

https://www.kreuzmarket.com/

I do believe. Haven't been there, but it's legendary, for sure.

JStuart
05-23-2018, 08:19 PM
Might have to have a 'Cue, brew and Bulls night sometime this summer. ;)

Yes, indeed, DD.

"As I was instructed by one of the younger generation Roycrofts (who my wife taught): "It's Ā-kern." "

And that knowledge was not passed on to HansTravel, eh?
JStuart

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-23-2018, 08:29 PM
I was not impressed with Allen & Son. Backyard BBQ has really good ribs and brisket too.
And Backyard’s sides are fantastic enough to make it to my Thanksgiving table along side my 24-hour spice-brined, BGE-smoked turkey.

VA_BDevil
05-23-2018, 10:12 PM
I wonder if anyone remembers Hendrix BBQ on 64 east of Mocksville, near the community of Fork. Place looked like a big chicken coop, but man, they had the best Lexington style 'Q around! And great onion rings too. I believe they've since closed..

Next time you're near Mocksville, give Deano's a try -- Lexington style in town just off Main Street.

wilson
05-24-2018, 08:12 AM

I have become a fan of Ole Time BBQ in Raleigh (just outside of Cary).If Bullock's has declined that much in the last 5-10 years, then it must really be dreck now, because it wasn't good 20 years ago either. I've eaten their food many times over the years as part of various Duke-related rites of passage, and I have never once understood what the big deal is.

flyingdutchdevil
05-24-2018, 10:26 AM
If Bullock's has declined that much in the last 5-10 years, then it must really be dreck now, because it wasn't good 20 years ago either. I've eaten their food many times over the years as part of various Duke-related rites of passage, and I have never once understood what the big deal is.

I'm with you. But an institution is an institution for a reason; I think Bullocks has lived off reputation alone for decades.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-24-2018, 10:25 PM
I was in Smithfield today on business and then an afternoon round of golf with my old foursome! Ate dinner at Holt Lake BBQ, which is very near the County Club of Johnston County on Hwy 301 south of Smithfield, not quite to Four Oaks. The Q and the fried chicken are both still really good. This was discussed way upstream several years ago.

OldPhiKap
05-24-2018, 10:31 PM
If Bullock's has declined that much in the last 5-10 years, then it must really be dreck now, because it wasn't good 20 years ago either. I've eaten their food many times over the years as part of various Duke-related rites of passage, and I have never once understood what the big deal is.

I'm with you. But an institution is an institution for a reason; I think Bullocks has lived off reputation alone for decades.

Sadly, yup and yup.

DU82
07-15-2020, 03:18 PM
This thread was really deep down!

Anyway, Wilber’s in Goldsboro has reopened under new ownership, with 90 year-old namesake Wilberdean Shirley still associated with the business.

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/food-drink/article244244937.html

devildeac
07-15-2020, 03:21 PM
This thread was really deep down!

Anyway, Wilber’s in Goldsboro has reopened under new ownership, with 90 year-old namesake Wilberdean Shirley still associated with the business.

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/food-drink/article244244937.html

Great news! Any personal reports from DBR members?🤤

CameronBornAndBred
07-15-2020, 04:04 PM
Great news! Any personal reports from DBR members?🤤

We need to make a meet in the middle run!

devildeac
07-15-2020, 04:53 PM
We need to make a meet in the middle run!

Takeout. Eat at one of our 6’ tailgate tables in the parking lot. 😉

CameronBornAndBred
07-15-2020, 05:03 PM
Takeout. Eat at one of our 6’ tailgate tables in the parking lot. 😉

Well, since those won't be happening*...

*Chance of FB happening is way greater than the chance of us fans being there, and that first chance is .0001%

sagegrouse
07-15-2020, 08:38 PM
Nice to see a thread started by Jarhead. I remember our discussions about the old days -- Nick Galifiankis and other notables. Many others on the board knew his ex, the late Barbara Buschman, when she handled housing. I knew her as Dean Robert Cox's secretary.

OldPhiKap
07-15-2020, 08:51 PM
Well, since those won't be happening*...

*Chance of FB happening is way greater than the chance of us fans being there, and that first chance is .0001%

. . . Until the spring . . . .

MarkD83
10-19-2020, 10:47 AM
Moving this to the top since it was mentioned on the off-topic board....

Section 15
11-13-2020, 07:55 PM
Hello all,

I was going through some old family papers recently, and came across a copy of the program for the 1956 Homecoming game vs Southern Methodist. This was Sonny Jurgensen's senior year. Looking though the program, which was a nice trip down memory lane, I came across the following picture, which I submit to DBR as a (chopped) slice of barbecue history:

I was at this game (I would have been eight at the time), and while I don't remember much about it other than Duke won, I do remember the barbecue. It was... mediocre. Too much grease and gristle. So much for the good old days.

At the time, the family's gold standard for barbecue was Parker's in Wilson, and even at that tender age I could tell the difference. Of course now we are in the golden age of craft barbecue (like beer!), so I wouldn't hold up Parker's as leading edge these days, but it's still pretty competent based on the last time I ate there.

Taking this full circle, did you know that "The Blue Devils excel in basketball also"? Here is another scan from the program, listing the upcoming basketball schedule featuring a home opener with the "nationally famous Kentucky Wildcats":
Sadly, the schedule also includes the Dixie Classic - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi.

-jk
11-13-2020, 10:33 PM
Hello all,

I was going through some old family papers recently, and came across a copy of the program for the 1956 Homecoming game vs Southern Methodist. This was Sonny Jurgensen's senior year. Looking though the program, which was a nice trip down memory lane, I came across the following picture, which I submit to DBR as a (chopped) slice of barbecue history:

I was at this game (I would have been eight at the time), and while I don't remember much about it other than Duke won, I do remember the barbecue. It was... mediocre. Too much grease and gristle. So much for the good old days.

At the time, the family's gold standard for barbecue was Parker's in Wilson, and even at that tender age I could tell the difference. Of course now we are in the golden age of craft barbecue (like beer!), so I wouldn't hold up Parker's as leading edge these days, but it's still pretty competent based on the last time I ate there.

Taking this full circle, did you know that "The Blue Devils excel in basketball also"? Here is another scan from the program, listing the upcoming basketball schedule featuring a home opener with the "nationally famous Kentucky Wildcats":
Sadly, the schedule also includes the Dixie Classic - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi.

Thanks! Did you get to Turnage's back in the day? I liked that one as a kid.

-jk

Section 15
11-14-2020, 11:02 AM
Thanks! Did you get to Turnage's back in the day? I liked that one as a kid.

-jk

Sorry, no. I didn't grow up in Durham. We mostly just packed the station wagon with a picnic lunch and drove in for the games. Homecomings were a little different. We arrived early to look at the displays on West campus (I was really fascinated by them), and my father would smooze with his friends during the BBQ lunch in Card gym. And of course I remember politicians glad handing the crowd. I shook hands with multiple senators and governors over the years. Very impressive show for a little kid to experience.

lotusland
07-02-2021, 09:24 AM
Found Tommy’s BBQ House in Biscoe while traveling on I 73 yesterday and it was very good. The dining room was closed at 5:00 for some reason (staffing?) but the pickup window was open with several picnic tables and there was a steady stream of folks picking up some Q to go. For comparison, I usually get a pork plate with pups, beans and slaw for my first visit to a BBQ joint. Really tasty BBQ pork. Vinegar based sauce, of course, and I chose the spicy option. The pups were onion ring shaped, moist and very tasty. The slaw was also finely chopped, as I prefer it, and tasty. I usually add some chopped carrots to mine for color and variety but theirs was cabbage only. The beans could have been from a can but were fine. A lady in line said their fried chicken was also very good but I can’t confirm since I was craving BBQ. All in all, the place was great and lived up to its 4 1/2 star Yelp rating. I’ll definitely stop again when I’m passing through. It’s just a few miles off I 73 at the Biscoe/Troy exit.

sagegrouse
07-02-2021, 02:10 PM
Found Tommy’s BBQ House in Biscoe while traveling on I 73 yesterday and it was very good. The dining room was closed at 5:00 for some reason (staffing?) but the pickup window was open with several picnic tables and there was a steady stream of folks picking up some Q to go. For comparison, I usually get a pork plate with pups, beans and slaw for my first visit to a BBQ joint. Really tasty BBQ pork. Vinegar based sauce, of course, and I chose the spicy option. The pups were onion ring shaped, moist and very tasty. The slaw was also finely chopped, as I prefer it, and tasty. I usually add some chopped carrots to mine for color and variety but theirs was cabbage only. The beans could have been from a can but were fine. A lady in line said their fried chicken was also very good but I can’t confirm since I was craving BBQ. All in all, the place was great and lived up to its 4 1/2 star Yelp rating. I’ll definitely stop again when I’m passing through. It’s just a few miles off I 73 at the Biscoe/Troy exit.

Never heard of Biscoe and I-73. Assume you meant I-74. Biscoe appears to be 25 miles WNW of Pinehurst.

Seems promising.

Tripping William
07-02-2021, 02:35 PM
Never heard of Biscoe and I-73. Assume you meant I-74. Biscoe appears to be 25 miles WNW of Pinehurst.

Seems promising.

I-73 is what used to be 220 from Roanoke to Rockingham, through Greensboro, Asheboro, etc. I’m actually riding on it now, near Biscoe. I haven’t seen the BBQ place, but now will find a way to get there, as I drive in its vicinity often.

roywhite
07-02-2021, 04:06 PM
I-73 is what used to be 220 from Roanoke to Rockingham, through Greensboro, Asheboro, etc. I’m actually riding on it now, near Biscoe. I haven’t seen the BBQ place, but now will find a way to get there, as I drive in its vicinity often.Yeah, the road carries both the I-73 and I-74 designation at that point. If traveling North, they diverge south of Greensboro.

Biscoe and Candor, NC are small towns in Montgomery County, NC and also in the heart of peach country. The NC Peach Festival is held at Candor.

lotusland
07-03-2021, 07:01 AM
I-73 is what used to be 220 from Roanoke to Rockingham, through Greensboro, Asheboro, etc. I’m actually riding on it now, near Biscoe. I haven’t seen the BBQ place, but now will find a way to get there, as I drive in its vicinity often.

Not difficult to find. Just exit 73/74 onto hwy 27 towards Biscoe. Drive through the little “town” and Tommy’s is another mile or so on the right.

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-27-2021, 10:30 PM
I echo Wilber's and Kings...two of my favorite places to hit on way to and from games. (Since I drive through both Kinston and Goldsboro.) Kings is an amazing buffet. If speed is an issue, Smithfields works, but none of the food is actually cooked there. I have no idea where they make it, but I've never seen a smokestack at one of their restaurants. ;)
Where are you driving from? That would help knowing what your closest options are. (Neither Gboro or Kinston are close enough to hit for a quick bite from Clinton.)

Replying to an old thread here but I just got a gift card to Goldbelly and it looks like Kings is the best option for getting good NC bbq out of state. Anyone else used the service to get NC foods?

OldPhiKap
04-29-2022, 05:26 PM
Bump

MarkD83
04-30-2022, 07:24 AM
Bump

Let's see how the new bball coaching staff deals with this....maybe Jai came to Durham for NC bbq and maybe Nolan moved to Louisville for Ky bbq...

-jk
04-30-2022, 07:27 AM
Let's see how the new bball coaching staff deals with this...maybe Jai came to Durham for NC bbq and maybe Nolan moved to Louisville for Ky bbq...

I thought they went to a glue factory.

-jk

weezie
04-30-2022, 08:59 AM
Question: Has anyone ever been to Long Swamp, NC and had a fried collard greens sandwich? Saw a show on public tv touting a Native American family that serves them on the weekends in town.
Fried cornbread with greens and a few curls of fatback.
We were sorely tempted to get in the car.

roywhite
04-30-2022, 10:38 AM
Question: Has anyone ever been to Long Swamp, NC and had a fried collard greens sandwich? Saw a show on public tv touting a Native American family that serves them on the weekends in town.
Fried cornbread with greens and a few curls of fatback.
We were sorely tempted to get in the car.

Haven't tried it, but the location is kind of on the way to the beaches of NC and SC, not far from I-95. Robeson County is Jim Sumner's original home area; I'm sure he could provide additional details on the area and Lumbee customs.

Stray Gator
04-30-2022, 11:12 AM
Haven't tried it, but the location is kind of on the way to the beaches of NC and SC, not far from I-95. Robeson County is Jim Sumner's original home area; I'm sure he could provide additional details on the area and Lumbee customs.

As one of Jim's fellow Robesonians, I can advise that the best collard sandwich on the planet was sold at the humble Snak Shak, located on Highway 41 in my old home town of Fairmont. I can't guarantee that it's still open, but if you're driving that way -- which happens to be the shortest route to the beach from the Triangle -- the Snak Shak is on the corner of Highway 41 and Eldorado Road, just as you're entering town from the north.

https://www.ncfolk.org/2014/snak-shak/