PDA

View Full Version : Time Machine - Hansbrough in '93

EarlJam
03-28-2008, 09:58 PM
A lot of people say that Hansbrough wouldn't be as good in the early 90s as now because of today's lack of big men, legitimate stars.

While I tend to agree, I still think Hansbrough would be amazing in his own way (dang nab it).

If Tyler was playing in the early 90s, or 80s, I think, speaking of national recognition and results, he would be more along the line of George Lynch.

You all remember Lynch? Honestly, he's one of my favorite Carolina players of all time. Had a TON of class, and was solid on the court consistently. Without him, they don't win it all in 1993.

This post has two purposes:

1) To pose the question: Would Hansbrough be more like Lynch (with more intensity) if he came along in the 80s or early 90s and...

2) To show appreciation for George Lynch. What's not to like about the guy? He's my favorite Tarheel.

-Mr. EarlJam

captmojo
03-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Sounds like you knew Mr. Lynch very well. He must have been a friend of yours.

Mr. Jam, Hansbrough is no George Lynch.

Oh! I forgot. Neither of them is Stephen Curry.

weezie
03-28-2008, 10:04 PM
T-bangs vs. Laettner, albeit a year earlier than '93. EarlJ has the floor, but the idea of Christian bringing the heavy heat.....

houstondukie
03-28-2008, 10:32 PM
2) To show appreciation for George Lynch. What's not to like about the guy? He's my favorite Tarheel.

-Mr. EarlJam

He's a tarheel.

EarlJam
03-28-2008, 10:36 PM
He's a tarheel.

Yeah but seriously, for a star Tarheel, he was ridiculously "unhateable."

Really? I can't get an "Amen" here?

-Mr. EarlJam

willywoody
03-29-2008, 12:35 AM
he really wasn't that great. while i have no qualms with lynch and respected his tenacity, he could not take over a game like a great player can.

JasonEvans
03-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Just so I am clear, you are comparing Tyler Hansbrough to George Lynch, right?

Is there anything about their games or their style of play or physical appearance or -- well -- anything at all about them that is similar aside from the fact that they both play basketball for UNC?

What are you talking about EJ?

Yes, Lynch was a hard-working player, though not nearly the kinda of grind-it-out-in-the-post player that Hasbro is. Lynch was much faster and a far better overall athlete. Lynch tended to score facing the basket, not in the post. Lynch was certainly never the focus of the Carolina offense in nearly the way that Hasbro is today. Look just at the number of FTs each guy shot and you will see how different they are. I think Hasbo shot as many FTs this year as Lynch took in his entire career.

I do agree that George Lynch was likable though. Seemed like a good guy and it was an honor to go into battle against him.

As for the notion that Hasbro would not be an elite player in 1993 because there were more big men, I think that notion is mostly false. Hasbro has shown an ability to be productive even when matched against the best big men in college basketball today. I don't think there is any evidence he would have struggled against the big men of a decade ago, though he probably would not have been quite as dominant.

--Jason "I, for one, will welcome the day Hasbro goes to the league in a way I never felt regarding George Lynch" Evans

davekay1971
03-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Hansbrough and Montross on the same team? As if I didn't have enough reason to hate Carolina...

RelativeWays
03-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Montross was too boring to hate, not true for Beaker. I think George Lynch was more similar to say, Jawad Williams than Beaker. I know Williams is pretty hated, but UNC doesn't win the 05 championship without him. Every time they needed a big shot or rebound, he got it, not unlike Lynch in 93.