PDA

View Full Version : Stanford - Lopez Twins

gw67
03-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Of the remaining 12 teams in the NCAAT, I support two. The first is Stanford because of family connections and the second is an ACC team that I won’t name because Jumbo or Evans will banish me from the site for a few months (I am an ACC fan and support all ACC teams). I’ve stayed up a few times this year to watch the Cardinals and I figured that they would be gone by now but the Lopez twins and their point guard, who is undersized and not particularly quick, fast or talented, have led them to the Sweet Sixteen. I would like to see them win but expect Texas to end their season tonight. Any way, the Post had a nice article this morning on the Lopez twins. From the article, it sounds like they enjoy life.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/27/AR2008032703866.html

gw67

Shammrog
03-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Are they identical twins or fraternal twins? I can't find anything that says one way or the other.

gw67
03-28-2008, 12:15 PM
I did a quick google search and several articles referred to them as identical twins but I don't know how valid that description is. What I did find was that they have two older brothers, 6-8 and 6-10, one of whom played at Washington/Fresno State, and their father was a baseball player for Cuba. Their mother is 6-1 so there are some big folks in that family. Feeding that group when they were growing up must have been a chore.

gw67

JasonEvans
03-28-2008, 12:25 PM
By the way, the hot news about Robin Lopez is that he is dating Michelle Wie!! Here is a guy who is likely to be a multi-millionaire (he's a lottery pick when he comes out) by the time he is 22 and his girlfriend will make probably ten times what he makes.

Think their kids might have some athletic ability?

--Jason "Brook is the better of the two, but both will be lottery picks- sorta like Jarron and Jason Collins, but better" Evans

dkbaseball
03-28-2008, 01:11 PM
By the way, the hot news about Robin Lopez is that he is dating Michelle Wie!! Here is a guy who is likely to be a multi-millionaire (he's a lottery pick when he comes out) by the time he is 22 and his girlfriend will make probably ten times what he makes.

Don't be so sure about Michelle's future earning power. I think her parents may still have her head in a lockbox in Hawaii. Her confidence took a huge hit trying to play on the men's tour, and until she gets it back there's no reason to think she will win on the women's tour.

hc5duke
03-28-2008, 02:07 PM
My question is... why would you give two boys feminine names? Also, if you named one Robin, is it too much to ask that you name the other Bruce? At least Wayne?:rolleyes:

JasonEvans
03-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Don't be so sure about Michelle's future earning power. I think her parents may still have her head in a lockbox in Hawaii. Her confidence took a huge hit trying to play on the men's tour, and until she gets it back there's no reason to think she will win on the women's tour.

She earned an estimated $19.5 million last year from endorsements and remains probably the best known female golfer in the world today (even if she is yet to be very successful at it). Yeah, if she continues to stink for a few years the endorsement dollars will dry up, but she is likely to be earning $10+million for the next several years at least.

--Jason "for identical twins, the Lopez brothers look very different thanks to their hair styles" Evans

gw67
03-28-2008, 02:32 PM
I believe that both Robin and Brook are boys and girls names but I may be wrong. When I was a youngster growing up, my favorite college basketball player was Robin Freeman of Ohio State. Freeman was an outstanding offensive player (averaged over 30ppg) who was one of the rare players in the Big Ten at that time to shoot a jump shot. I also seem to recall he played one year with Frank Howard who became a baseball star with the Senators. After college, Robin went to Med School.

gw67

Clipsfan
03-28-2008, 02:32 PM

Think their kids might have some athletic ability?

--Jason "Brook is the better of the two, but both will be lottery picks- sorta like Jarron and Jason Collins, but better" Evans

Does this mean that she's finally 18?

Rudy
03-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Does this mean that she's finally 18?

Yes, last October. Plus, she is now a student at Stanford, too, and she is 6' 1". Damn if they have kids they will not only be great athletes but tall.

Mmmm. Maybe the hypothetical kids will want to take a different path than their parents and go somewhere other than Stanford but will still want an elite academic school combined with elite D-1 athletics. There is only one other college like that besides Stanford, and it's not Northwestern.

Duke09
03-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Are they identical twins or fraternal twins? I can't find anything that says one way or the other.

There was an SI article recently that said tests when they were born were inconclusive as to if they are fraternal or identical

JasonEvans
03-28-2008, 03:34 PM
There was an SI article recently that said tests when they were born were inconclusive as to if they are fraternal or identical

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/39/393313.jpg

--Jason "they look a lot alike-- except for the 'do" Evans

sue71, esq
03-28-2008, 04:07 PM
I've seen the other brothers, and there is NO question they are all related. They all look alike, and as mentioned, are also tall.

mgtr
03-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Fraternal, identical, it doesn't matter -- they lost. I pulled for Texas, and I am a Stanford grad. It tells you something, doesn't it?

jipops
03-28-2008, 09:52 PM
What is up with Stanford and twin big men? Collins boys?

Too bad they didn't land the Wiers' to keep it going.

Kewlswim
03-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Fraternal, identical, it doesn't matter -- they lost. I pulled for Texas, and I am a Stanford grad. It tells you something, doesn't it?

Hi,

I too have a degree from Stanford (a masters). Why did you root against Stanford? Are you from Texas?

GO DUKE!

mgtr
03-29-2008, 03:37 AM
Hi,

I too have a degree from Stanford (a masters). Why did you root against Stanford? Are you from Texas?

GO DUKE!

I am not from Texas, but lived in Dallas for a period. I actually enjoyed living there, probably because there was a growth, go-go atmosphere. I haven't experienced that feeling anywhere else in the country. I also met my wife to be there, which might color my feelings.
I was originally from the midwest, and went to Stanford because it was the farthest away college which accepted me (no accounting for the decision making of an 18 year old). However, the Stanford I started at in 1958 (and eventually finished at in 1966, after a short stint in funny clothes for the US Government) is not the Stanford of today. Interestingly, while I attended Stanford, the tuition was $1,005 per year. It is just a tad more today.
My perception of the southeastern part of the US in those days was very negative (partly from race problems, but mainly from hillbilly/redneck problems -- in other words, uninformed). The southern most school I applied to was probably Princeton! I doubt that I had even heard of Duke.
While at Stanford, I met a fair number of Texas people who planned to graduate from Stanford, and then go to law school in Texas.
Bottom line- I like Texas just fine, and I like Stanford and the Bay Area fine too. I am just not a loyal fan (except for Duke men's BB, for which I have absolutely no affiliation).

JasonEvans
03-29-2008, 06:16 AM
What is up with Stanford and twin big men? Collins boys?

Too bad they didn't land the Wiers' to keep it going.

I'm just glad they were not able to work that sibling magic on the Plumlees!

--Jason "and what about Lodrick and Rodrick Steward-- the best named twins" Evans