PDA

View Full Version : Louisville vs UNC

KenTankerous
03-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Would this be a game that we all wish, somehow, both teams could lose?

I think Padgett and Caracter both match up well with traveler-whose-name-I-shant-utter. I'm hoping Caracter brings his inner-thug and works him hard - nothing violent, just super-physical - to wear him down and get him out of rhythm. Louisville's shooting guards are fast and accurate and work really well when in the team mentality they've discovered since their early exit in the conference tournament. I also think Pitino can out coach Ole Roy but that won't really be a factor.

Defense will decide who dances in San Antonio and I have to give the edge to the "slightly less than out of control" Cards in that column.

Cards by 6, 78-72.

freedevil
03-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Louisville doesn't stand a chance. They are reckless on offense. Sigh.

yancem
03-28-2008, 08:39 AM
I actually have Louisville beating UNC in my pool. Of course that doesn't mean much since I had Duke going to the final four. You can always count on at least one #1 seed not getting to the final four. I have a hard time seeing Xavier beating UCLA and I think that Kansas should take care of Villanova and Wisconsin. Stanford could pose problems for Memphis and I think that Louisville is dangerous for UNC.

When you think about it, UNC really got screwed on the S curve. Going into the tourney, it looked like UNC, Kansas and UCLA were the strongest bets to win it all (I don't overly buy into Memphis). To win the NC, UNC should have to beat Kansas and then UCLA. That's a tough challenge.

godukecom
03-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Sigh, As much as I want it to happen, I just don't think UNC will lose this game...
In the FF, anything can happen, but I think they will be a favorite to beat KU and UCLA/(memphis, stanford, etc)

CDu
03-28-2008, 09:03 AM
UNC will likely be the favorite in all of their remaining games. But remember: any team that can lose to Maryland at home can lose to anyone who is good enough to reach the Final Four. Being the favorite isn't all that relevant. If UNC wins it all, they're going to have to go through at least two games in which they are severely tested.

So far, UNC has played two games against teams that play no defense and one against a team that plays tough defense but couldn't shoot/score. So they've beaten up on teams that couldn't compete. That won't be the case in the Final Four. Kansas and UCLA, for example, play stout defense (like Washington St) and can also score points (unlike Washington St).

weezie
03-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Would this be a game that we all wish, somehow, both teams could lose?

Perfect sentiment. But, although Pitino is the better coach, 'holes will prevail by 8; they can't possibly play as disjointedly again as they did in the first half of Thursday's game. What a shame....

brtnsbs
03-28-2008, 10:03 AM
I actually have Louisville beating UNC in my pool.

Me too and its going to be a pretty important game for me in terms of winning that pool.

But back to the main point. I really want Louisville to win, and they probably could win but I don't think they are going to. I hate to say it but I was thoroughly impressed with UNC being able to play a half court offense to win that game. I have waited all year for a team to slow UNC down and see if they could handle it, Wash St. did for a while and UNC was still up over 10 pts at half time.

Louisville is going to need to play one heck of a game to get UNC, I'll be rooting hard for them. I really think Kansas will get the better of UNC in the Semi-Finals but we will see.

sandinmyshoes
03-28-2008, 10:15 AM
If Louisville stops Lawson, they win. If they don't stop Lawson, they lose. That's my simplest guess.

davekay1971
03-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Louisville can beat UNC. Watching them live against Tenn last night, they are very athletic, very big inside, and they're quick to the ball on D. I think their perimeter players are quick enough to stay up on Lawson, Ellington, and Green, and I think they're inside guys are big enough to give Hansbrough the same kind of trouble that kid from Wash St. gave him. Keep in mind that Louisville struggled with the same kind of injury issues this year that UNC did, A major difference in their records is that Louisville dropped a couple of games due to that while Carolina escaped with overtime or close wins (ahem, Carolina refs, ahem). Louisville thoroughly dominated a much better team last night than Carolina has seen in the tournament. Whether you think Tenn was overrated or whatever, they did beat Memphis. They're a good team, and Louisville made them look stupid.

JasonEvans
03-28-2008, 10:38 AM
I am following a longstanding DBR tradition in this game...

I'm rooting for the meteor.

--Jason "http://broncosrule.files.wordpress.com/2006/06/meteor.jpg" Evans

Buckeye Devil
03-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Louisville is hot and on a bit of a roll right now, but they were very sloppy in the first half with too many turnovers. Fortunately for them Tennessee was worse and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

I thought that the Cardinals were the best matchup against UNC when the bracket came out and still believe that. Plus, Pitino is savvy and has a lot of experience at this level (8x in the regional final). They have athleticism but it will take a stronger performance to win than what they showed against Tennessee, which I think was a bit overrated this season.

Classof06
03-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Louisville doesn't stand a chance. They are reckless on offense. Sigh.

No offense Freedevil, but your statement sounds like you didn't even watch Louisville last night. The Cardinals, despite a lot of first half TOs, looked quite impressive for long periods of the Tennessee game.

First things first, Louisville will be the best team UNC has played all year. Number two, they have the front line depth to deal with Hansbrough should they get into foul trouble. Then, they have long perimeter players in Earl Clark and Terrence Williams that can cause trouble for Ellington and Green. Oh, and they have a HOF coach.

Off of one day's preparation, I'd say UNC's in for a dogfight.

freedevil
03-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Gotta disagree Classof06 - I watched much of Louisville last night. They had plenty of second half TOs as well. I also was never impressed with Tennessee this year after watching some 5 of their games, so looking good against the Vols doesn't really make me impressed by Louisville.

I agree they match up well, I just think UNC is steamrolling right now.

And, I don't know if I truly believe this or not, but the best team UNC played all year beat them at home on January 6th.

_Gary
03-28-2008, 11:30 AM
On a neutral court I give Louisville a decent shot considering how they are playing right now (which is pretty darned good, IMHO). But playing at DDD - that's Dean Dome a Deux - the Heels have too much of an advantage. It's going to be amazing to watch a game where Louisville really should have a large contingency pulling for them, yet hear all the cheers going up for Goliath. And we all know that's what it's going to be like.

Gary

Classof06
03-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Gotta disagree Classof06 - I watched much of Louisville last night. They had plenty of second half TOs as well. I also was never impressed with Tennessee this year after watching some 5 of their games, so looking good against the Vols doesn't really make me impressed by Louisville.

I agree they match up well, I just think UNC is steamrolling right now.

And, I don't know if I truly believe this or not, but the best team UNC played all year beat them at home on January 6th.

I'm guessing you mean February 6th and no, Duke is not better than Louisville; Louisville actually got better as the year progressed. Maybe we were better in February than Louisville was in early February--we were better than a lot of teams at that point. But right now, I'd have to say Louisville is UNC's toughest opponent to date.

If Duke was as good as Louisville, we'd still be playing in what is a MUCH weaker region; the weakest of the four, in fact.

freedevil
03-28-2008, 11:49 AM
^ Don't disagree with any of the above - particularly my mistake on the month Duke won at UNC.

I do think Duke in February was better than the Louisville team I saw last night. Duke was playing incredible defense and was not turning the ball over.

Hopefully, after Saturday, you are right - that UL can and does win.

crimsonandblue
03-28-2008, 12:48 PM
One benefit to Louisville is having just come off a game against UNC-lite on the defensive side of things. Tennessee likes to pressure and has good athletes at all positions, so the speed of UNC won't come as anything of a shock.

Of course, the 'Ville did turn the ball over 73 times last night. So, maybe playing another man team with good athletes isn't such a blessing.

The nice wrinkle is that Louisville will show a zone look that may frustrate UNC. And I look forward to seeing Clark down low on Hansbrough some. I think his length and athleticism, on top of Padgett's and Caracter's size and strength, will bother him some.

The nice thing about zoning North Carolina is that their bigs aren't great passers, so letting Thompson, Stephenson or Hansbrough have the ball in the high post isn't instant death like it could be if their bigs passed really well.

I still think UNC wins, but if Louisville has a better than average shooting game, they have a real chance.

acciconoclast
03-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Louisville has an uphill battle. Carolina is 24-1 in NCAA tourney games played in the state of North Carolina

Troublemaker
03-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Carolina is clearly the more skilled team but I suspect Louisville's athleticism will keep the game close. If Louisville can finish their layups and chippies inside, it will be a great game. No idea if they will, though. And I agree that I'm looking forward to seeing UNC go against Louisville's zone. If UNC wins, they'll have earned it.

captmojo
03-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Ellington and Green are the key. If Louisville can slow the productivity of these two, then they have a good chance.
From here on, Beaker is going to see the remaining competition that have defenders equal to the task of standing up to his butt bumping, back-to-the-basket bullying.

godukecom
03-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Exactly; Duke shut down Ellington and Green and won the first game. In mthe 2nd game, both went off. we all know the rest...

While I think UNC wins, if UL shuts down Ellington and Green they have a good shot

sandinmyshoes
03-28-2008, 04:26 PM
I repeat: Lawson. It begins and ends with Lawson. All the other keys, packing the paint, stopping Ellignton and Green, all of them, they can only be accomplished by stopping Lawson.

ClosetHurleyFan
03-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I repeat: Lawson. It begins and ends with Lawson. All the other keys, packing the paint, stopping Ellignton and Green, all of them, they can only be accomplished by stopping Lawson.

I hear you, but I think Carolina has too many options for Louisville to stop them all. Lawson being out has really made Thomas step up from outside and Lawson's outside shot seems so much better since he has been back. Also, Stephenson and Thompson's offense so much better and Stephenson's defense is really becoming a factor for other teams to deal with.

I actually think Green is very key.......if you bottle up the inside and D up Ellington and others on perimeter, Green always seems to be the guy that comes in and kills you with the critical put back or hard to contest three point shot since he is 6 foot 8......not to mention he is a great shot blocker and rebounder.

Carolina by 10 agt Louisville

Carolina by 4 agt Kansas

Carolina by 6 agt UCLA

KenTankerous
03-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Louisville can counter Ellington and Green well enough. Where the Cards are going to amaze you is with the point center play-making of Padgett. Carolina has seen nothing like this. That UNC center has no answer for what Padgett will do to him offensively. Padgett may not score more than 8, but he'll double up with assist. I'm sticking with the Cards by six and it won't even seem that close.

EarlJam
03-28-2008, 10:50 PM
I really can't put my finger on it, but some VERY strong feeling tells me UNC will NOT win it all this year.

Usually, I have the opposite feeling and fear the worst. But despite UNC's domination thus far, I'm just not seeing it................for whatever reason.

It's a very comforting feeling.

-Mr. EarlJam

MarkD83
03-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Davidson beats Kansas to get to the final four and UNC beats Louisville.

Curry then scores 50 in San Antonio to send the Tar heels home.

Truth
03-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Davidson beats Kansas to get to the final four and UNC beats Louisville.

Curry then scores 50 in San Antonio to send the Tar heels home.

The sooner Carolina loses, the more ideal it is. While seeing Curry knock them out in the Final Four would be great, I'd be much happier if Carolina simply didn't make the FF to begin with...

MarkD83
03-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I agree that UNC losing as soon as possible will be best. A week more of UNC hype would be intolerable.

bhop22
03-28-2008, 11:24 PM
I really hope you are right, but they are looking great right now. I haven't pulled for Louisville because of the 86 final, but I sure will tomorrow. Yuck.

EarlJam
03-28-2008, 11:32 PM
I really hope you are right, but they are looking great right now. I haven't pulled for Louisville because of the 86 final, but I sure will tomorrow. Yuck.

One thing you can bet the farm on: A Rick Pitino team will NEVER lay down.

UNC is in for a fight.

-EJ

kydevil
03-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Ole Roy claims they have no home court advantage.... :D

mgtr
03-29-2008, 03:55 AM
The saddest day in the history of basketball was when Pitino left UK. I know that money talks, but that was an ideal job for him. Now at Louisville, he has only the second best job for him. May the force be with him!

TwoDukeTattoos
03-29-2008, 06:14 AM
One thing you can bet the farm on: A Rick Pitino team will NEVER lay down.

UNC is in for a fight.

-EJ

Both Pitino and Roy are going for their 6th Final Four. Pitino has always recruited gritty, athletic kids who simply know how to play ball. I have a feeling they are really going to bring their A-game tonight and give the Baby Blues their toughest game of the year (other than Duke round 1).

It's interesting that both the UNC men and women are playing the L'ville men and women. Maybe we'll see a double-whammy. Go Cards.

DukeDevilDeb
03-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Both Pitino and Roy are going for their 6th Final Four. Pitino has always recruited gritty, athletic kids who simply know how to play ball. I have a feeling they are really going to bring their A-game tonight and give the Baby Blues their toughest game of the year (other than Duke round 1).

It's interesting that both the UNC men and women are playing the L'ville men and women. Maybe we'll see a double-whammy. Go Cards.

... to God's ears, as my grandmother used to say. The only thing I can think of that would be worse than the UNC men winning it all would be for the UNC men AND women to win it all.

I might never be able to get out of bed again.

Go Louisville!!!!!!!!!!!!

sandinmyshoes
03-29-2008, 07:42 AM
I really can't put my finger on it, but some VERY strong feeling tells me UNC will NOT win it all this year.

Usually, I have the opposite feeling and fear the worst. But despite UNC's domination thus far, I'm just not seeing it................for whatever reason.

It's a very comforting feeling.

-Mr. EarlJam

Like most teams, UNC usually does not win the title. So if you usually fear the worst but they fall short, shouldn't you be worried about feeling the opposite?

sandinmyshoes
03-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Ole Roy claims they have no home court advantage.... :D

There only two losses on the season were at home. Maybe he has a point. But I think UNC's games in North Carolina outside of the Dead Dome actually are more of an advantage. The crowd seems much more into it once the blue hairs are broken up and moved in among the younger fans.

moonpie23
03-29-2008, 11:17 AM
ellington and greene have to show up for the holes to continue to win.....so far, they have.

if rick can slow down lawson, and take ell and greene down a peg or two, they can get it done....

or......maybe it's just the year of the holes.....

moonpie23
03-29-2008, 11:24 AM
l'ville will not be able to zone their way to a win.....too many good shooters and ball handlers...

they will have to take it to the holes at half court...

godukecom
03-29-2008, 06:34 PM
If Danny Green didn't play for UNC, i wouldnt care that much if they won it all. I won't be able to stand his smug grin if they do win it all.

House G
03-29-2008, 10:50 PM
With 7:24 to go, Hansborough has a triple double--22 pts, 10+ rebounds, and 10 fouls (only 2 of which have been called)

Coballs
03-29-2008, 10:56 PM
With 7:24 to go, Hansborough has a triple double--22 pts, 10+ rebounds, and 10 fouls (only 2 of which have been called)

You're right. It's complete BS.

godukecom
03-29-2008, 11:12 PM
it was that missed layup at about the 5 minute mark...
oh well... go Kansas

Salag
03-29-2008, 11:15 PM
As much as you hate Psycho T, you have to respect him. Look at his stats. Three time first team all-american, if he comes back next season, four time first season all-american, crazy. He is truly a wonderful player. Louisville didn't get stops when they needed them, and they were too gosh-darn careless with the basketball. If you want to beat these Heels, you gotta limit your turnovers, because you know they are going to get a quick 2 the other way.

Coballs
03-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Roy just dropped a "crap" on national TV

Coballs
03-29-2008, 11:22 PM
It was also touching to watch Ol' Roy thanking the home crowd.
But, no more home games for Carolina. Let's go KU (or Davidson).

dukemsu
03-29-2008, 11:24 PM
As much as I hate to say, Hans was great tonight. Despite the fact that I counted at least 6 times he made plays on defense that I thought were legitimate fouls that went uncalled, his performance was exceptional.

It's going to be a long week.

Let's hope Kansas has an answer.

Highlander
03-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Hansbrough scored 20 points in the second half. With 2 minutes to go, his teammates had only scored 11. Louisville threw in some intentional fouls, but Hansbrough still outscored his entire team in the second half. I knew it was over when he was hitting fadeaway jumpers from just inside the 3 point line. When your opponent's center starts hitting those, it's over.

Despite Hansbrough's herculean performance, Louisville shut down Green, Ellington, and Lawson in the second half and had chances, but just couldn't convert. 3 walks on their center and a late throwaway out of bounds didn't help either.

I just hope this is Hansbrough and Lawson's swan song. Tough for Tyler to do more to showcase his readiness for the NBA than he did tonight.

sandinmyshoes
03-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Despite all the Terping going on here, it's hard to really say much when Louisville had such a large advantage in the foul situation in the beginning of the second half. And that despite being the team that was pressing.

They managed to get the ball out of Lawson's hands, which helped 'em contain Green and Ellington, but who could expect Hansbrough to add 18 foot jumpers to his game. :mad:

And it pains me to say it, but UNC has become an underrated defensive team since we got 'em in Chapel Hill. Must have lit a fire in 'em. :(

godukecom
03-29-2008, 11:52 PM
I am fully conviced that UNC will beat either Kansas or Davidson in the final four and play for the title... and DBR better make the backround black again like they did in 05 ;)

Hate to say it, but it's hard to argue at this point that UNC is not the best team in the country

gofurman
03-30-2008, 01:07 AM
Hansbrough scored 20 points in the second half. With 2 minutes to go, his teammates had only scored 11. Louisville threw in some intentional fouls, but Hansbrough still outscored his entire team in the second half. I knew it was over when he was hitting fadeaway jumpers from just inside the 3 point line. When your opponent's center starts hitting those, it's over.

Despite Hansbrough's herculean performance, Louisville shut down Green, Ellington, and Lawson in the second half and had chances, but just couldn't convert. 3 walks on their center and a late throwaway out of bounds didn't help either.

I just hope this is Hansbrough and Lawson's swan song. Tough for Tyler to do more to showcase his readiness for the NBA than he did tonight.

Louisville may have given a little blueprint for success against Carolina. Their second half was pretty durn good defensively - they shut down everyone except Hans and most important: they quit allowing the long pass run out baskets. The second half was different from the first and , with a week, I have to pull for KU to win and do some real study. it could happen

mapei
03-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Lville had quite a few chances at point-blank range and the free throw line, and they missed time and again. Meanwhile, Hansbrough was incredible. You may hate him because he plays for UNC, but he's a fabulous college basketball player. Incredibly tough and incredibly clutch.

It was great to watch Love and Collison in the early game, too - if anyone plays like he wants it as much as Hans, it has to be Love. But I don't know if it will be enough, should they meet in the final. UNC is just so damn fast, it's a track meet.

UrinalCake
03-30-2008, 01:59 AM
About the only good thing I can take out of tonight is that Hansbrough showcased his outside jumpshot, which was the one thing people said he couldn't do. So here's hoping he leaves next year, regardless of whether or not the team wins.

You know, if he played for Duke, I have no doubt he would be the most universally hated player in college basketball, ever.

Coballs
03-30-2008, 02:42 AM
I am fully conviced that UNC will beat either Kansas or Davidson in the final four and play for the title... and DBR better make the backround black again like they did in 05 ;)

Hate to say it, but it's hard to argue at this point that UNC is not the best team in the country

Perhaps. But UCLA has that championship look as well. No matter what happens for ~37 minutes, they always win. They might be more athletic than UNC. Plus, I would take Howland over Ol' Roy head to head. I think Love is more skilled than Hans, but the only variable is the fact that Hans sometimes becomes completely unconscious and is unstoppable. My hope is that Kansas runs circles around them. But should Ol' Roy twist the knife deeper into the collective back of Kansas, then hopefully UCLA will outplay them---which I think they are entirely capable of doing.

Lavabe
03-30-2008, 08:14 AM
About the only good thing I can take out of tonight is that Hansbrough showcased his outside jumpshot, which was the one thing people said he couldn't do. So here's hoping he leaves next year, regardless of whether or not the team wins.

I personally hope he leaves THIS year.;)
Cheers,
Lavabe

_Gary
03-30-2008, 08:56 AM
You guys are really downplaying Kansas (and this is assuming Kansas handles Davidson, which they will). I think KU will give the Heels everything they want, and then some. I look for the Jayhawks to knock off the vaunted Heels and play UCLA for the title. I just can't believe no one here is giving Kansas a shot?!!

Gary

gw67
03-30-2008, 09:09 AM
I've been around long enough to know that I shouldn't get in between Duke faithful and their hatred toward UNC (sorta like trying to have a reasonable political discussion with my wife and kids) but the crap that Hansbrough has taken on these boards and the DBR front page over the last three years has been not only remarkable but misplaced, IMO. He plays beneath the rim! So! DBR now thinks that is not bad. He walks, he fouls, he gets all the calls, he looks funny, he is lucky, he is not the best (most important) player on UNC, he is older than any player in college, he won't make it in the pros, on and on it goes. I guess it is similar to the nonsense that Redick got on other boards during his four years at Duke.

Having watched ACC basketball for over 45 years, I think Hansbrough is one of the top 15-20 players in ACC history and, if the Heels win it all (a big if), he will likely be considered the best player in Tar Heel history. Not bad for a kid of average height for a front court player who can't jump through the roof. If I were a high school coach he would be a prime example of someone who has made himself into a great player through hard work and effort on the floor. It is too bad that many of us can't get by our bias and recognize that we are watching a great college player.

I'll admit that I agreed with many in this thread that the keys coming into this game were Lawson, Ellington and Green and I figured that Hansbrough would just get his points and rebounds. Louisville matches up well with UNC (as will Kansas and UCLA) and they completely shut down those three players in the second half. Like Laettner, Hansbrough made clutch shot after clutch shot to carry the team on his back.

I am not a Tar Heel fan but I hope that they play well the rest of the way.

gw67

_Gary
03-30-2008, 09:19 AM

Really? Cause that sure sounds like a Heel's fan to me. And I'm not being a smart aleck either, I'm just trying to understand how you can hope a hated rival does well in the Final Four and yet at the same time claim NOT to be a fan. Ugh...

gw67
03-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Gary,

No disrespect intended but that is your problem not mine. I have been a Duke fan since the early 60's and a Maryland fan since I met my future wife there (and, oh by the way, Lefty arrived). I am one of those who supports all ACC teams outside conference and in the NCAAT. I don't root for them and am not upset when they lose but I want them to play well and represent the conference. As for my views toward Hansbrough, I've tried to make it clear that treating him like Redick was treated on UNC and Maryland boards seems misplaced to me but that's just my opinion.

gw67

Troublemaker
03-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Gary,

No disrespect intended but that is your problem not mine. I have been a Duke fan since the early 60's and a Maryland fan since I met my future wife there (and, oh by the way, Lefty arrived). I am one of those who supports all ACC teams outside conference and in the NCAAT. I don't root for them and am not upset when they lose but I want them to play well and represent the conference. As for my views toward Hansbrough, I've tried to make it clear that treating him like Redick was treated on UNC and Maryland boards seems misplaced to me but that's just my opinion.

gw67

Hansbrough has never been treated as poorly as Redick, gw. For sure, Duke fans don't give Hansbrough enough credit, because he's a Heel, but the hatred of Redick went far, far beyond not receiving enough credit.

As for athleticism, Hansbrough is actually very athletic. More athletic than, say, Shelden was. He's fast going 94 feet, quick enough to put the ball on the floor and drive by, quick enough to pressure the ball on the perimeter, and fluid enough to counter an initial post move with another one. Even his leaping ability is underrated, as he can putback-dunk and reverse-dunk with relative ease. If he could pass, he'd actually be the perfect motion center, now that he can hit a 17-footer. No, athleticism is not a weakness for Hansbrough. He's not Shawn Kemp, but he's easily athletic enough to be a good player in the league, imo. His true weaknesses are he can't pass and he can't block shots.

DukePA
03-30-2008, 10:05 AM
I've been around long enough to know that I shouldn't get in between Duke faithful and their hatred toward UNC (sorta like trying to have a reasonable political discussion with my wife and kids) but the crap that Hansbrough has taken on these boards and the DBR front page over the last three years has been not only remarkable but misplaced, IMO. He plays beneath the rim! So! DBR now thinks that is not bad. He walks, he fouls, he gets all the calls, he looks funny, he is lucky, he is not the best (most important) player on UNC, he is older than any player in college, he won't make it in the pros, on and on it goes. I guess it is similar to the nonsense that Redick got on other boards during his four years at Duke.

Having watched ACC basketball for over 45 years, I think Hansbrough is one of the top 15-20 players in ACC history and, if the Heels win it all (a big if), he will likely be considered the best player in Tar Heel history. Not bad for a kid of average height for a front court player who can't jump through the roof. If I were a high school coach he would be a prime example of someone who has made himself into a great player through hard work and effort on the floor. It is too bad that many of us can't get by our bias and recognize that we are watching a great college player.

I'll admit that I agreed with many in this thread that the keys coming into this game were Lawson, Ellington and Green and I figured that Hansbrough would just get his points and rebounds. Louisville matches up well with UNC (as will Kansas and UCLA) and they completely shut down those three players in the second half. Like Laettner, Hansbrough made clutch shot after clutch shot to carry the team on his back.

gw67

Hey GW,
As much as it pains me, I have to agree with you on this except for your last sentence. I'm just not mature enough or rational enough to ever pull for unc. But yeah, hans is a great player.

GO DUKE!!

gw67
03-30-2008, 10:43 AM
DukePA,

Having not gone to Duke nor lived in North Carolina, I readily admit that I cannot feel the deep emotion that you folks feel toward one another. Dukies at my company bare their teeth when I say something nice about the Heels. I have an emotional attachment toward the Devils and Terps that I don't have toward the rest of the ACC but I still want those teams to do well. I couldn't bear to read the Post or DBR the day after this year's loss and it took awhile to get over it.

gw67

sandinmyshoes
03-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Great, you can't even try to have a mature approach to the game on this board now without being called a UNC fan. :rolleyes:

I agree with GW.

I also agree with Gary, in that I certainly think Kansas can take out UNC. Kansas has a better offense than Louisville. If they can do what the 'ville did in the second half. Get the ball out of Lawson's hands. That will help them shut down Green and Ellington. Just so long as Hansbrough doesn't add hitting five out of six three pointers to his game. :mad:

godukecom
03-30-2008, 01:33 PM
I really don't give Kansas a shot... Bill Self will not outcoach ol' Roy, and once a truly great team like UNC gets this close, they put themselves on their best player's back (Hansbrough) and let him carry them to the title.

UNC will win the game played a week from tomorrow. As much as I hate to admit it, there is NO WAY Kansas will stop Hansbrough inside; he is a nighmare defensively and UL or UCAL are the only teams that match up decently with him. We all saw what he did to UL, and UK just doesnt have the post players to shut him down, IMO. If they play UCLA in the title, Love will do a decent job, but UNC is too deep along the frontline.

If I am wrong please rib/make fun of me and let me know how wrong I was... I will welcome it but I can't see it happening at this point...

crimsonandblue
03-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Kansas is nothing like Louisville defensively. Kansas plays largely man-to-man. Our frontline consists of two athletic 6'8"-6'9" guys in Darnell Jackson and Darrell Arthur and two longer bigs in 6'10" Sasha Kaun and 6'11" Cole Aldrich. We have plenty of beef to matchup with Hansbrough, Thompson and Stepheson. If Danny Green ends up singled on Arthur or Jackson, like he was with Clark from the 'Ville last night, it's not three travels it's two or three buckets.

Hansbrough's going to get his. He'll frustrate whoever's there in San Antonio. But the idea that Lousville is better in the front court than Kansas is laughable. Anything can happen in the tournament. I won't be a bit surprised if UNC beats Kansas, and I'm nervous as hell about even getting the opportunity by getting past Davidson. But KU has about as good a matchup against UNC as anybody else out there (which is to say, we have a legit shot at winning).

freedevil
03-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Crimson - WIN!

crimsonandblue
03-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Crimson - WIN!

We're trying, but the game won't freaking start!!!oneeleven!!!

godukecom
03-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks Crimson... but I hope you guys beat Davidson tonight
and please feel free to rib me if/when Kansas sends the heels home

yancem
03-31-2008, 08:32 AM
I actually have Louisville beating UNC in my pool. Of course that doesn't mean much since I had Duke going to the final four. You can always count on at least one #1 seed not getting to the final four. I have a hard time seeing Xavier beating UCLA and I think that Kansas should take care of Villanova and Wisconsin. Stanford could pose problems for Memphis and I think that Louisville is dangerous for UNC.

When you think about it, UNC really got screwed on the S curve. Going into the tourney, it looked like UNC, Kansas and UCLA were the strongest bets to win it all (I don't overly buy into Memphis). To win the NC, UNC should have to beat Kansas and then UCLA. That's a tough challenge.

Well, I guess I completely got that wrong. I'm sure they said something during the games last night or during sports center but I wonder when the last time all 4 #1's made it to the F4? Also, I heard Bilas talking this morning and Memphis already has 37 wins and UNC and UCLA have 36 so we all need to root for Kansas because they are the only team left that won't break the all time win mark if they win the title. If Memphis beats UCLA then they set the new mark but if they were to loose to Kansas, I could live with that.

Speaking of Memphis, I think that it is time for people to finally give them a little more respect. Not only did they make it to the F4 but they crushed Texas.