PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Capel...future Duke coach?

BD80
03-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Capel is extended for an additional 2 years, with a $300K raise per year (to $1.05M) plus a $600K bonus if he stays 6 years

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10742788

The suggestion is there was some substance to the SC rumors

dukemsu
03-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Capel is extended for an additional 2 years, with a $300K raise per year (to $1.05M) plus a $600K bonus if he stays 6 years

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10742788

The suggestion is there was some substance to the SC rumors

Good for Jeff. Congratulations.

Hope he can crack the top 2 in that league, get up there with Texas and KU.

pless55
03-27-2008, 11:15 PM
He deserves it. He has done a great job there. His team should be great next year if Griffin returns. They could be a tough out in the tournament with Griffin and an instant scoring option in Willie Warren. Capel has really made that team good quick.

davekay1971
03-28-2008, 07:15 AM
I know (or at least hope) that Coach K has several years left in him, but here's looking into the future. Of the members of the Duke coaching family, Capel appears to be emerging as the best possible candidate as successor to Coach K.

Any thoughts?

Also, congrats to Jeff on his contract extension.

Exiled_Devil
03-28-2008, 08:33 AM
This actually makes me wonder - whay are people so concerend about having an alum, or a former player to be more specific, be the caoch somewhere? When did the athletic world get obsessed with lineage like this? I guess it is more rational than passing it down to your son (Sutton, Knight) but I would still think that we should go for the best coach available and interested and not limit it to Duke alums.

What's the advantage of alum as coach?

SMO
03-28-2008, 08:46 AM
This actually makes me wonder - whay are people so concerend about having an alum, or a former player to be more specific, be the caoch somewhere? When did the athletic world get obsessed with lineage like this? I guess it is more rational than passing it down to your son (Sutton, Knight) but I would still think that we should go for the best coach available and interested and not limit it to Duke alums.

I think the assumption is that an alum knows the culture of the program, so if you like the way the program is performing under the departing coach one would think an alum has the best chance of keeping that going. I would say that Duke in particular, has a strong b-ball culture and an alum of Duke would know how to manage the program "the Duke way" better than anyone from the outside. Of course, if you're looking for change then going with a non-alum seems to make the most sense. I'm sure in reality there are many exceptions to these schools of thought.

yancem
03-28-2008, 08:47 AM

I think that the two main reasons are familiarity and continuity. A former player/alumni/assistant coach is going to not only be more familiar with Duke's campus/facilities but also how Duke approaches academics and other non basketball type things. The fan base will also feel more comfortable with "one of our own". The other big advantage is that a K disciple is likely to embrace a similar style of basketball which we already know is successful and should make the transition for the players at the time of K's retirement a bit easier.

Plus, I think that it adds to the legend of the outgoing coach and to the mystique of the program.

freedevil
03-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Am I missing something, or isn't it pretty clear that Dawkins will be the successor?

prefan21
03-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Am I missing something, or isn't it pretty clear that Dawkins will be the successor?

There's always the chance that he doesn't want to be head coach. Slim, I guess, but he's passed up blue chip head coaching jobs before and may have just enjoyed his time as assistant head coach.

Matches
03-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Ya'll know.... we *did* boo Capel. Don't think he's forgotten that.

geraldsneighbor
03-28-2008, 09:07 AM
I think Dawkins is going to be the successor. One question is, do you think Collins or Wojo is really in contention for the Providence job?

Karl Beem
03-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Ya'll know.... we *did* boo Capel. Don't think he's forgotten that.

Maybe you did - but I didn't.

Matches
03-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Maybe you did - but I didn't.

I mean "we" as a group. I wasn't at that game, but it was pretty noticeable on TV.

Jeffrey
03-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi,

My money is on Wojo being K's successor.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

nyr484
03-28-2008, 10:40 AM
If anyone other than Johnny Dawkins takes over after Coach K it would be a travesty IMO.

kramerbr
03-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I mean "we" as a group. I wasn't at that game, but it was pretty noticeable on TV.

Why would Capel get booed?

Edouble
03-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Coach K says that Dawkins is taking over the program. I don't know another reason why Dawkins would be sticking around all of this time if he's not waiting to pick up the reigns when Coach K leaves.

However, it is entirely possible that with their 11 year age difference (I'm pretty sure that's right, Dawkins '86, Capel '97), Capel could take over for Dawkins.

Matches
03-28-2008, 10:51 AM

He was in the midst of going scoreless against FSU, following a run of about a season and a half where his play was generally considered to be poor and not team-oriented. There was a LOT of discussion at the time over whether we ought to ever boo our own players. I don't think any Duke player has been booed (at home) since.

Edouble
03-28-2008, 10:52 AM

Because he was playing terrible basketball at the time. I did not boo him. I have a feeling this post is turning into the story of how Capel got booed, which is not necessarily a bad thing b/c there's probably no chance that Capel gets the Duke job. I'm pretty sure it's Dawkins' when Coach K steps down.

MulletMan
03-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Coach K says that Dawkins is taking over the program.

Prove it.

Do you guys think that maybe, just maybe there is a chance that J.D. doesn't want to be a head coach? Do you think there is a chance that he is happy being the top assistant to K, and that perhaps there are certain things that come along with being the head coach at Duke that J.D. has no interest in dealing with?

Bluedawg
03-28-2008, 11:17 AM
There's always the chance that he doesn't want to be head coach. Slim, I guess, but he's passed up blue chip head coaching jobs before and may have just enjoyed his time as assistant head coach.

here is an interivew with JD (http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/publish/article_0474.shtml)by Black Athlete posted Jan 14, 2007.

I think he makes it clear he does.

BA-You must have had numerous opportunities to be a head coach.

JD-I have had opportunities but I am very happy at Duke.The opportunity to work with Coach K. is great.He is a true leader.And he has taught me a lot.

BA-Would you consider a head coaching job?

JD-Sure that is my goal.

BA-Would that be at Duke after Coach K, retires?

JD-Let's not talk about him retiring.And coaching Duke is everyone's ideal.

Edouble
03-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Prove it.

Do you guys think that maybe, just maybe there is a chance that J.D. doesn't want to be a head coach? Do you think there is a chance that he is happy being the top assistant to K, and that perhaps there are certain things that come along with being the head coach at Duke that J.D. has no interest in dealing with?

I said "Coach K says Dawkins is taking over the program". Coach K said this in one of the pre-Carolina "team meetings" with the 6th man. He's also said it several times on TV, maybe on one of his interviews on Charlie Rose. I didn't say "Dawkins is taking over the program"... I just said that I heard Coach K say that he is. As far as proving that I heard it, I can't... it's in my memory, and I don't have any evidence in front of me. I'm sure numerous others on this board have the same memory as mine and maybe can point out where/when they've heard Coach K say this same thing. I'm suprised you've never heard Coach K say that Dawkins is taking over when he steps down. I thought it was pretty common knowledge.

JasonEvans
03-28-2008, 11:55 AM
People close to the program generally agree that Dawkins is the guy K think should take over when he is done. However, while K will have a strong say in the matter, he will not make the final decision about who succeeds him.

Additionally, such a decision is likely something like a decade away, perhaps more. Speculation at this time is sorta silly.

--Jason "then again, silly speculation has never stopped us in the past" Evans

SMO
03-28-2008, 12:00 PM
I said "Coach K says Dawkins is taking over the program". Coach K said this in one of the pre-Carolina "team meetings" with the 6th man. He's also said it several times on TV, maybe on one of his interviews on Charlie Rose. I didn't say "Dawkins is taking over the program"... I just said that I heard Coach K say that he is. As far as proving that I heard it, I can't... it's in my memory, and I don't have any evidence in front of me. I'm sure numerous others on this board have the same memory as mine and maybe can point out where/when they've heard Coach K say this same thing. I'm suprised you've never heard Coach K say that Dawkins is taking over when he steps down. I thought it was pretty common knowledge.

I remember reading the same thing. I think K said something along the lines of JD being a "logical choice" to succeed him.

BlueintheFace
03-28-2008, 12:21 PM
I remember reading the same thing. I think K said something along the lines of JD being a "logical choice" to succeed him.

Yah, he has never actually said to the 6th man (at least not in these last 4 years) "Dawkins will take over after me," but he has implied it multiple times, and has said "Johnny loves Duke and, as you know, he has turned down quite a few good jobs to stay here in Durham. He'd obviously be the logical choice, but lets not run me out of town just yet."

Exiled_Devil
03-28-2008, 12:28 PM
I think that the two main reasons are familiarity and continuity. A former player/alumni/assistant coach is going to not only be more familiar with Duke's campus/facilities but also how Duke approaches academics and other non basketball type things.

Familiarity with the campus seems iffy - given that he won't have been here for 20 years or so. I knwo I don't recognize 70% of my alma mater's campus now. The same can be said for culture and approach to academics.

The fan base will also feel more comfortable with "one of our own". The other big advantage is that a K disciple is likely to embrace a similar style of basketball which we already know is successful and should make the transition for the players at the time of K's retirement a bit easier.

I am not sure how Capel's teams play, but I know that Roy and Dean are know for different styles - run and gun vs. four corners. I'm not sure the similar system argument holds up. I can't see that the few players (in the scope of the program) who are there at the transition as being a huge factor in the selection process.

Plus, I think that it adds to the legend of the outgoing coach and to the mystique of the program.
I think this is the biggest reason. And, IMO, it is not necessarily a valid one. Coach K has built something bigger than himself. His legacy is set without having his disciples run the show.

I am not opposed to a former player as the next coach, I just don't see it as pre-requisite in the way so many (at so many schools) do.

Shammrog
03-28-2008, 02:47 PM
People close to the program generally agree that Dawkins is the guy K think should take over when he is done. However, while K will have a strong say in the matter, he will not make the final decision about who succeeds him.

Additionally, such a decision is likely something like a decade away, perhaps more. Speculation at this time is sorta silly.

K won't officially decide; but you can bet whoever he recommends wins.

RPS
03-28-2008, 03:22 PM
This discussion is strictly and highly hypothetical since (a) I hope and expect that K is a long way from retiring, and (b) hiring his replacement shouldn't be a matter of legacy. That said, were it up to me today, I would choose Capel from among the Duke family to be the next head coach. Here's why.

1. Experience. I want an experienced head coach, especially at a premier program. Hiring a head basketball coach who has only been an assistant is a much riskier proposition. In football, assistant coaches have tremendous autonomy. The coordinators are almost head coaches on their side of the ball, allowing them to prove they have the requisite leadership skills. In college basketball, where staff size is so small, the head coach makes virtually every decision of import and is deeply involved in all aspects of the program. Projecting a top assistant as a head basketball coach thus becomes very difficult. Capel is experienced -- more experienced than anyone else in the Duke family except Tommy Amaker (and Mike Brey if he counts as true family).

2. Success. Although he hasn't been doing it long, Capel has had terrific success as a head coach.

3. Separation. Every top-flight program risks becoming too insular and thus missing out on new or different ideas. Capel's connection to the Duke "coaching tree" is limited, making this much less of an issue.

4. Big-Time HC Experience. Many mid-major coaches who seem to have what it takes have failed to make the jump to the top programs, largely because of an inability either to recruit or manage the talent at that level. The differences between a player pleased to be playing D1 and a player who expects to be a lottery pick are enormous, with the latter much more difficult to recruit and motivate. Capel has both played and coached at the big-time level. He's just getting started at that level as a head coach, but the early returns are promising indeed.

5. Understanding. The next coach needn't come from within the Duke family. But Duke is a unique place and requires a unique coach. It's not a school that is close to right for every prospective student-athlete. Understanding Duke and the type of student-athletes who can succeed here is essential in our next head basketball coach.

Were it up to me (today, remember, I reserve the right to have changed my mind when the time comes), I'd hire Jeff Capel.

brevity
03-28-2008, 03:23 PM

I've read a few good reasons already in this thread, but let me add one in regards to recruiting. Duke's a school that has certainly had its share of golden days, and the parents of recruits remember that. I think they would consider Duke favorably for their children if its current coach had a tangible connection to the past. Not a slam-dunk, to be sure, but it could be a factor in their decision-making process.

jgflava
03-28-2008, 03:33 PM
I think Dawkins is going to be the successor. One question is, do you think Collins or Wojo is really in contention for the Providence job?

There's no way Collins or Wojo is getting the Providence job. The word up there is that the top candidate is Jim Larranaga from George Mason who is a PC alum. Other names being mentioned are Phil Martelli, Fran McCraffrey (Seina), Craig Robinson (Brown, also Barack Obama's brother in law), and some other guys with Northeast connections.

I've always been under the assumption that Dawkins would be taking over. He's been there seemingly forever. Why hasn't he accepted a head coaching job, though?

OZZIE4DUKE
03-28-2008, 04:11 PM
There's no way Collins or Wojo is getting the Providence job.

As mentioned in another thread recently (I think by Jumbo), all of the assistants have given K their word that they won't leave the program this summer while the Olympics effort is underway. They all have rolls to play on K's Olympic staff (which is incredible experience for them), and rolls to play at Duke this spring and summer.

If a job opened up early in the school year, then maybe. And everyone would much prefer there not be another Skip Prosser (may he R.I.P.) situation arise.

Atlanta Duke
03-28-2008, 04:43 PM
As the cliche goes, be the successor to the successor to the legend - Johnny Dawkins may be the initial replacement if only because it will be an impossible act to follow for anyone

Handing it over to a career assistant may work (Coach Gut at UNC) but probably not

jgflava
03-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Also, hiring a guy just because he is an alum doesn't always work for the best. As a Carolina grad, I am all to familiar with the disasters that happened under Matt Doherty and Jon Bunting. There were clearly better candidates out there at the time both of these guys were hired, but our AD decided to go the alum root and ignored some impressive coaches...most notably Pete Carroll who actually called up Dick Baddour inquiring about the football position and never heard a response.

Obviously, going the non-alum route obviously worked for Duke when Coach K was hired back in the day. However, I sometimes do believe ADs have blinders on and only want hire alums. They may be familiar and passionate about the school, but it doesn't mean they are the best guys for the job.

Cameron
03-28-2008, 05:30 PM

I have said this many times on here and have always been corrected as being wrong. In fact, I think I remember hearing Coach Dawkins state something close to the above before. Although, I have never been able to retrack the origin of where I believed I heard it.

I think MulletMan makes a good point. Would YOU want to have the burden of replacing Coach K in front of you? Dear Lord, if Johnny didn't exactly "live up" to some of our maniacal fans' standards, can you imagine how he would be turned on? (This is in no way a broad generalization of the majority).

He just may not want to head down that road. Sure he quickly says, "Yeah, that's a goal." But is it really?

Then again, I've always heard reports that the job is his. So who knows.

wumhenry
03-28-2008, 05:58 PM
If anyone other than Johnny Dawkins takes over after Coach K it would be a travesty IMO.
Maybe so, but when it comes time to fill K's shoes anybody with no prior head-coach experience will be a pig in a poke.

Duvall
03-28-2008, 06:08 PM
However, while K will have a strong say in the matter, he will not make the final decision about who succeeds him.

This is true only because of the often over-looked but potentially critical fact that the person who will ultimately make the final decision will be the person who decides whether to accept the job. Beyond that, it's K's call.

CameronBornAndBred
03-28-2008, 06:10 PM

The Boos really weren't for Capel, it was for the coaching decision to put him in..
I was there, I booed..I admit it. But I don't think I nor anyone else was booing Capel, it was the decision to put him in the game. K was home nursing his hip, and Gaudet was coaching. It was a bad season. It was a bad game. And he had been playing badly. Capel came to the scorer's table. That's when I let out a boo, and most everyone else did. He was having a horrendous game, and to see him coming in was adding bad to worse. He worked himself out of the slump, and made everyone eat their boos shortly after with his famous fling to send the UNC game into overtime.

I believe Capel would be a great choice. He is one of two head coaches with Duke ties that have had success. The other is Mike Brey, but I think Capel would be the better choice. I still would rather see Dawkins get some HC experience before taking over. Otherwise he would have a Guthridge-esque career, and he better hope he has the caliber of players that Gut did when he took over for Dean. (I'm sure he will)

bbar7502
03-28-2008, 07:49 PM
what about laettner as one of the next assistant coaches? there is a big man coach with attitude.....:)

wolfpackdevil
03-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Johnny Dawkins will and should get this job.
He basically does every thing for the team, except for coach the games.
It would be a discrase to see someone take the job, and time and time K has said that the job is dawkins, and he will get the job.

Johnny Dawkins for Duke head Coach

Classof06
03-28-2008, 08:13 PM
I think Dawkins would and should be the logical choice. He was K's first big time recruit, he knows the ins and outs of the University (having been a student) and in terms of attracting recruits, he's played in the NBA. That's a bigger deal than people might think.

As far as Capel's concerned, unless South Carolina was willing to pay him a lot more money, I have no idea why he would even consider going there and I'm glad he stayed at OU. He's in a better conference and a much better program. OU went to the Final Four under Kelvin Sampson earlier this decade and they make the tournament most every year. Again, I think Capel made the right choice.

freedevil
03-28-2008, 08:59 PM
I think Dawkins would and should be the logical choice. He was K's first big time recruit, he knows the ins and outs of the University (having been a student) and in terms of attracting recruits, he's played in the NBA. That's a bigger deal than people might think.

As far as Capel's concerned, unless South Carolina was willing to pay him a lot more money, I have no idea why he would even consider going there and I'm glad he stayed at OU. He's in a better conference and a much better program. OU went to the Final Four under Kelvin Sampson earlier this decade and they make the tournament most every year. Again, I think Capel made the right choice.

I agree with everything here 100%. We were disagreeing earlier, so I thought I just had to point this out to all of you other posters - who I'm sure cared. :D

Jeffrey
04-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi,

My money is on Wojo being K's successor.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Hi,

Do I still stand alone, with my fearless forecast, given Johnny's departure?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Carlos
04-28-2008, 11:25 AM
I don't know about alone, but I don't agree with you. Frankly, Dawkins' departure is more of an indication that he would be the successor than it would be someone else. Anyone who becomes the Duke HC after K would need to have some experience running a program.

Surfsideron
04-28-2008, 11:27 AM
I believe that Dawkins taking the Stanford job is a signal that Coach K will be stepping down within 5 years. He probably encouraged Dawkins to take the Stanford job because the two schools are similar in academic standards, the type of players they recruit and the schedules they play.

It is good preparation for Dawkins to return. I think he will install Duke type defense and offensive schemes at Stanford and be ready to return in 2012.

Just my opinion.

Jeffrey
04-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Anyone who becomes the Duke HC after K would need to have some experience running a program.

Hi Carlos,

Doesn't that view contradict, the previous opinion of many, that Dawkins was already the heir apparent?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Charles Wicker
04-28-2008, 11:54 AM
a different type show than K. I also don't know if he could be a "Duke" coach as other posters posit. It takes a certain "type" to coach here, and quite frankly, I'm not even sure that Cape would want to step into those shoes. This discussion is highly premature, but a more pertinent question is; is Duke ready for an African American Head Basketball Coach, not under the apprenticeship of K?

Jarhead
04-28-2008, 11:59 AM
I believe that Dawkins taking the Stanford job is a signal that Coach K will be stepping down within 5 years. He probably encouraged Dawkins to take the Stanford job because the two schools are similar in academic standards, the type of players they recruit and the schedules they play.

It is good preparation for Dawkins to return. I think he will install Duke type defense and offensive schemes at Stanford and be ready to return in 2012.

Just my opinion.
Looking ahead, I see no reason to assume that anyone is a lock for K's job. If Dawkins is still coaching at Stanford when K retires, he will have been considered a success there. That's 10 years down the road. He'll be in his fifties, and looking forward to his own retirement. Capel may have been at OK for 12 years if he is successful there, and he'll be in his forties. Would he really be interested in a move, even to Duke? That would depend on the degree of his success. I think that there are too many potential candidates for us to be saying any one is a lock. The guy we would want may be still playing in the NBA, or at Duke, or somewhere else. Let's see who we get as AD, but even that choice will give us no clue on K's replacement, only a hint of how he/she thinks about recruiting coaches.

Stray Gator
04-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi Carlos,

Doesn't that view contradict, the previous opinion of many, that Dawkins was already the heir apparent?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

I'm not Carlos and I don't mean to speak for him. But to address your question, I think it's widely accepted, and Coach K has hinted, that Johnny Dawkins is K's personal choice to take over as Duke's head coach when K retires. While generally supporting that plan, some Duke fans have expressed the view that even though JD is a fine choice, he might be better prepared and better qualified to succeed K if he could acquire some head coaching experience first. Thus, although I think K and most Duke supporters would have been satisfied to see JD succeed K even if JD had remained as the Associate Head Coach at Duke until K's retirement, the opening at Stanford provides a fortuitous opportunity for JD to get the head coaching experience at a program that is comparable in many respects. In short, there's no contradiction or inconsistency as I see it.

JasonEvans
04-28-2008, 12:06 PM
This discussion is highly premature, but a more pertinent question is; is Duke ready for an African American Head Basketball Coach, not under the apprenticeship of K?

Have you seen or heard anything that would give you the impression that Duke is not? Do you see some latent racism in the organization or athletic department or on campus that would lead you to think that Duke would have problems with an African-American running the program?

--Jason "what a silly question to ask" Evans

Indoor66
04-28-2008, 12:11 PM
The last heir apparent we had at Duke was Vic Bubas' successor, Bucky Waters. Bucky left the Duke staff and became head coach at West VA. When Vic retired Bucky came back to Duke. Much as I love Bucky as a friend, he did not do well coaching at Duke, to say the least.

Personally I do not care for the concept of anointed ones. When K retires (I hope after 8 or 10 years) it would be prudent to have a quality search committee look at available talent, to include appropriate individuals with Duke ties, and recommend the best to the AD and Administration. IMO we should not narrow our thinking to individuals far in advance of the decision.

duke74
04-28-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm not Carlos and I don't mean to speak for him. But to address your question, I think it's widely accepted, and Coach K has hinted, that Johnny Dawkins is K's personal choice to take over as Duke's head coach when K retires. While generally supporting that plan, some Duke fans have expressed the view that even though JD is a fine choice, he might be better prepared and better qualified to succeed K if he could acquire some head coaching experience first. Thus, although I think K and most Duke supporters would have been satisfied to see JD succeed K even if JD had remained as the Associate Head Coach at Duke until K's retirement, the opening at Stanford provides a fortuitous opportunity for JD to get the head coaching experience at a program that is comparable in many respects. In short, there's no contradiction or inconsistency as I see it.

Good response. I do wonder, however, what Stanford must be thinking if this is the logic - that they are the "minor leagues" for JD coaching experience, awaiting his "call-up" to Duke? (emphasis added above)

I know we're years away, but Stanford MUST have been considering this when deciding on JD.

sagegrouse
04-28-2008, 12:39 PM
aThis discussion is highly premature, but a more pertinent question is; is Duke ready for an African American Head Basketball Coach, not under the apprenticeship of K?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but this can be read as being offensive to Duke University, the DBR, and the participants in the Forum. "Pertinent" to whom? The KK whatever?

sagegrouse

Jeffrey
04-28-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm not Carlos and I don't mean to speak for him....

In short, there's no contradiction or inconsistency as I see it.

Hi SG,

I hope Carlos responds, because I disagree with your conclusion and would love to hear his perspective.

How could JD have already been the heir apparent, if

Anyone who becomes the Duke HC after K would need to have some experience running a program. ?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Charles Wicker
04-28-2008, 12:57 PM
not meaning to be offensive, just thought it was interesting considering the topic concerning Cape as next HC. The initial thought, was that Johnny and Jeff are two different coaches. Granted, JD has never been a HC, but he has been under K's apprenticeship longer, which would indicate more of the K philosophy. Cape on the other hand, has more of an ecclectic coaching background, being that he's coached at three schools, played for coach K, grew up in NC, and undoubtedly learned alot from his father who's coached at just about every level of basketball there is. DI and DII.

Honestly, not trying to stir anything, just curious.

duke74
04-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi SG,

I hope Carlos responds, because I disagree with your conclusion and would love to hear his perspective.

?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

...unless the assumption all along was that JD would get the requisite experience and then return. That's the reconciliation in my eyes, FWIW.

SupaDave
04-28-2008, 01:08 PM
:)

I mean - has Duke ever had a Phillipino head coach in any sport? LOL! It doesn't matter! Just ask Mississippi State...

Jeffrey
04-28-2008, 01:46 PM
...unless the assumption all along was that JD would get the requisite experience and then return. That's the reconciliation in my eyes, FWIW.

Hi,

If that was the case, then why was DBR surprised?

Also, why would DBR's response be, "It doesn’t make sense to us, but then again, it’s not our career: ESPN says Johnny Dawkins has accepted the Stanford job."?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

duke74
04-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi,

If that was the case, then why was DBR surprised?

Also, why would DBR's response be, "It doesn’t make sense to us, but then again, it’s not our career: ESPN says Johnny Dawkins has accepted the Stanford job."?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Jeffrey,

I can't answer for DBR, nor was I trying to explain their position/argument. I was just taking a step back and trying to reconcile positions.

Perhaps, while this logic may make sense, DBR was still surprised that JD "left the nest"? Like when your son/daughter moves out. Totally expected but still traumatic?

Cheers

BD80
04-28-2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Carlos
Anyone who becomes the Duke HC after K would need to have some experience running a program.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Isn't it just SO obvious?

Coach K sent his boy Joe Alleva to LSU to hire Johnson away from Stanford so that Johnny could get the Stanford job, a job Coach K believes is an appropriate training ground for his successor.

Does this mean you haven't heard about Coach K's dealings with Sprint to get Jeff the Oklahoma job?

Hot Route
04-28-2008, 02:31 PM

Jason, I don't necessarily believe that we are a decade away from K's retiring. I have a feeling we may be less than 5 years away. He will be turning (or may already be) 62. I don't know if he wants to coach until he's 70 or older.

camion
04-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Isn't it just SO obvious?

Coach K sent his boy Joe Alleva to LSU to hire Johnson away from Stanford so that Johnny could get the Stanford job, a job Coach K believes is an appropriate training ground for his successor.

Does this mean you haven't heard about Coach K's dealings with Sprint to get Jeff the Oklahoma job?

WOW!! K is THE MAN!!!

I heard confidentially that his appointment as Olympic coach is just a cover story. He's really heading to China to replace this book (http://www.amazon.com/Quotations-Chairman-Mao-Tse-Tung/dp/083512388X/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209407649&sr=1-2) with this one (http://www.amazon.com/Coach-Little-Blue-Revised-Updated/dp/1894963261/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209407595&sr=8-3), bringing democracy and basketball to billions of people.

sagegrouse
04-28-2008, 03:13 PM
I, for one, think that K will coach as long as he is physically able, which should be to age 70 or beyond. Although, perhaps I am just whistling past the graveyard.

WRT Coach's influence in picking his successor: If he wants to have absolute say in having an inside candidate as his successor, then we have the examples of Dean Smith Smith and John Thompson Jr., who engineered their replacement by their lead bench coach.

Dean, if you recall, quit just before the beginning of the season, ensuring that Coach Guthridge would get the job. And, of course, Gut wouldn't accept it except on a multi-year basis.

Big John did Dean one better, by retiring in mid-season and turning the job over to Craig Esherick.

Nothing against Dean and JT Jr., but K is very, very professional. He would most likely be up front about his departure and the process for finding his successor, on the expectation that his advice would be carefully listened to.

sagegrouse
'I hope this is a very hypothetical discussion'

UrinalCake
04-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Whatever happened to Amaker being the next in line to replace Coach K? Ten years ago this was considered a no-brainer. Is there a belief that because he has left the program, he is no longer in consideration? Or has his troubles at Michigan and now potentially at Harvard removed him from the running?

CameronBornAndBred
04-28-2008, 06:03 PM
I think Amaker pretty much wrote his own story with his problems, which were self inflicted. To add to that, while I follow him and all of K's carousel, and hope for the best for each, I don't think he proved himself that good of a coach. Capel and Brey have been more impressive to this point, and kept clean images. I hope Dawkins does the same, his audition starts this season.

Festus13
04-28-2008, 07:01 PM

Just as you suggest, the best is not always from your school. I remember years ago, Duke hired a fellow who I believe was from NC State. This man stands as tall as Coach K (who is another Coach from another school). So your question is answered as far as Duke goes. Possibly the two most accomplished coaches to date from Duke are from other schools. Never mind they they are NOT African American and you might get the idea that Duke, like all schools, should not use either of these two reasons when choosing their 'next' coach.

DukeVu
04-28-2008, 07:47 PM
All must remember that "The ole Ball Coach" Spurrier who has had a degree of success at football, recommended Carl Franks for football. So much for coaches recommending one of his assistants.

BCGroup
04-28-2008, 08:34 PM
I posted this over in the Johnny D's thread, but it seems relevant to this discussion:
"The most interesting thing to come out of the press conference introducing former Duke assistant Johnny Dawkins as the 17th basketball coach at Stanford was hearing Stanford athletics director Bob Bowlsby spilled the beans on Mike Krzyzewski's intentions for his successor at Duke"

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=k_s_names_successor_kinda&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1