PDA

View Full Version : Didn't Dawkins get fouled??..

Dukeford
03-27-2008, 09:49 PM
In 1984, on the last play of the season against Washington?

It's been so long ago... but it seems like I remember pain and frustration over a no-call at the end of the game. Seems like it might have been an alley oop type of play....

Does anyone else remember this? or something similar?

sandinmyshoes
03-27-2008, 09:51 PM
I think it's time to let it go. ;)

weezie
03-27-2008, 09:54 PM
No help from me. 1984? My memory is fading so much that couldn't tell you what underwear I had on yesterday.........if I didn't still have 'em on! :D

Sheesh Mojo, way too much information. Allow us our fantasies, will ya?

Dukeford
03-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Oh, I know it's over...like 23 yrs ago.
But it's memorable because they were finally "back" after some tough times.

At this point it's more of me testing my memory.
So was it like that?? last play of th egame?

kinghoops
03-27-2008, 10:00 PM
In 1984, on the last play of the season against Washington?

It's been so long ago... but it seems like I remember pain and frustration over a no-call at the end of the game. Seems like it might have been an alley oop type of play....

Does anyone else remember this? or something similar?

if i recall correctly, it was in pulliam wash, at wsu, im not sure if washington was the opponet, but i do remember that game ending with a no call, i remember more about the following year, 1985, losing to boston college and michael addams in i believe it was houston??

arnie
03-27-2008, 10:13 PM
It was an alley oop and maybe he got fouled. The big issue that night was the clock. With locals manning the clock and Duke behind, they let 4-5 extra seconds run off the clock on a ball knocked out of bounds which essentially required the play to Dawkins. Back then, the refs did not review the time on a tv monitor. Cannot imaging that happening today, but back then, it was just bad luck.

DU82
03-27-2008, 10:18 PM
It was an alley oop and maybe he got fouled. The big issue that night was the clock. With locals manning the clock and Duke behind, they let 4-5 extra seconds run off the clock on a ball knocked out of bounds which essentially required the play to Dawkins. Back then, the refs did not review the time on a tv monitor. Cannot imaging that happening today, but back then, it was just bad luck.

And after the game, Brent Musburger, in the studio, said that the game wasn't over, Duke was owed 4 seconds. And in reply to somebody else, no, I'm still not over it! :-(

I believe it was because of this NCAA game that Washington agreed to come to Duke, resulting in the German rendition of "Airball" to detlef schrempf (and also one of the coldest waits outside Cameron before a game, I think it got down to 9 degrees that evening (very cold for Durham for sure!), and I believe the line outside that formed the night before (pre-tents) was allowed inside because of it.

Dukeford
03-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the verification.

How about 2 years later...What about that Pervis Ellison, air-ball offensive rebound and score? Remember that?

One of the most painful plays ever.........

Dukeford
04-10-2008, 10:52 PM
C'mon, somebody has to remember it.....1986 In the waning moments of the game, Duke was showing some signs of leaving numbness, get a stop here and an easy score, it willl be back to anyones game....
So some guard from Louisville shots a really piss poor shot, definitely an air ball, it may even hit somebody in the back it's such a scrub shot.....And then, at the last minute..Pervis Ellison looks back over his bony shoulder and sees it...catches it over his shoulder almost like a baby, even he has a look on his face like he can't believe it. But he manages to straighten himself up and sort of semi-fingerroll the ball into the basket for 2 more points....I guess that was the game, even thought there was many more minutes left (but less than 10)....by now were on the other end,,,ooops...clang! Alarie just drew iron again....something about the Colorado air??

Bob Green
04-11-2008, 12:18 AM
It was the clock. I remember Coach K arguing with the Ref about the clock being wrong. I was beating on the floor of my San Diego apartment and screaming at the TV (it didn't help). That game really made me mad because the ACC sent five teams to the tournament and Duke was the only one that lost their first game. It was painful.

Capn Poptart
04-11-2008, 01:04 AM
That wait for the UDub game. Gaaaaaaawd, it was cold! We had a sign: The Clock Stops Here.

Was that the first "revenge" game of the K era (scheduling a prominent loss opponent for the next year)?

The program was battling for respectability. Every game seemed like it could make or break us during that stretch, because we had been so bad so recently. Actually, we'd sucked for 8 of the previous 12 seasons, so I guess it was make or break.