PDA

View Full Version : Xavier - WVU

mr. synellinden
03-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Anyone see similarities in this game to the Duke game? WVU was down in the first half - arguably could have been down by more than 7 and is now making a comeback in the second half.

wisteria
03-27-2008, 08:39 PM
I was going to make the exactly same post.
This game is shaping up like the copy of our game.

EarlJam
03-27-2008, 09:25 PM
I was going to make the exactly same post.
This game is shaping up like the copy of our game.

Agreed, but Xavier hung tough. I actually have Xavier in my Final 8. I'm in the top three in a couple pools so I'm pulling for them hard - not to mention the "avenge Duke" factor.

-Mr. EarlJam

weezie
03-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Xavier, holy smokes, just cold blooded draining that three while WVU stands around looking dazed.
wow. Kharma must indeed be paid back.
Hey Mountaineers! Remember that the next time you denigrate a defeated opponent.

dukemsu
03-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Xavier, holy smokes, just cold blooded draining that three while WVU stands around looking dazed.
wow.

That was a Rasheed Wallace type of brain freeze by WVU. Just epic.

freedevil
03-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Caller 1: Hello there, is this Joe Alexander?

Caller 2: Um, yes... Who is this???

Caller 1: This is the Duke Curse speaking.

Caller 2: (muffled pause)

Caller 1: We were going to call you later in the week, but you sort of annoyed us in your post-game comments last Saturday. We just wanted you to know that we didn't appreciate those. Enjoy being a flash-in-the-pan... (click)

weezie
03-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Indeed. Think they'll have anything smart to say, a little chuckling with the press corps?

Ahhhhhhhh SEE YA!!!!!

buddy
03-27-2008, 09:51 PM
West Virginia got real tired real quick. Alexander fouling out seemed to take all their wind. But they got their 15 minutes of fame.

mgtr
03-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Right. Xavier earned the win.

mr. synellinden
03-27-2008, 09:58 PM
West Virginia got real tired real quick. Alexander fouling out seemed to take all their wind. But they got their 15 minutes of fame.

They did take a 6 point lead after he fouled out. I actually thought WVU looked like the fresher team at the beginning of OT. Xavier hit some big time shots. ONIONS!!

Lavender and Raymond. Interesting that Raymond hit two big threes since he had been on the bench most of the game and had to be much less tired.

wisteria
03-27-2008, 10:14 PM
watching this game makes me feel heartache.

I know this is silly, but I just couldn't help but thinking, "If only we had drained those shots..."

of course, UNC beating the hell out of WSU didn't help either.

77devil
03-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Right. Xavier earned the win.

Yes they did but not before almost giving it away in regulation with the last two posessions. Walking it up full court with 12 seconds left, what was Lavender thinking?

brtnsbs
03-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Yes they did but not before almost giving it away in regulation with the last two posessions. Walking it up full court with 12 seconds left, what was Lavender thinking?

Oh I know I was screaming at the TV that there was only 12 seconds, by the time he was over half court there was like 5-6 seconds left. Then that of course led to a rushed, bad shot.

weezie
03-27-2008, 10:28 PM
The cardinal is now putting the beat down on the volunteer. Hoo boy.

ChrisP
03-27-2008, 10:31 PM

If he had rushed up court they would have had time to take a shot and then possibly get a tip or a 2nd shot. It's not like they were in danger of shooting too quickly and giving it back to WVU. Well, at least the X-Men won out and sent Huggy bear and his bunch of sore winners back to the mountains. I'm not sure what's worse - losing the game or...having to go back to West Virginia :D

dukemsu
03-27-2008, 10:31 PM
I can almost hear Bruce Pearl asking his agent for a map to Bloomington, Indiana.

UT has just scored 5 straight, but they look scared to death.

dkbaseball
03-28-2008, 01:14 AM
I had Xavier plus one and was certain that I had the superior team and a real bargain. Turns out the books were right on the money -- the game was a toss-up. If Alexander hits that free throw at the end of regulation, I lose, so does everybody else, and the books clean up.

duke.kahanamoku
03-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Glad to see WVU banished back to the hinterlands where they belong. I guess huggins defense couldn't stop xavier from hitting open shots as they did against us.

I watched the game. It was the first game I watched this year that did not feature Duke.

It was weird watching the big guys on xavier. They would stand near the basket and even if they didn't have the ball they would start jumping up and down and grabbing it and a lot of times they even got it.

Sometimes they would have the ball and they would gradually move a little bit closer to the basket until they thought they could reach it and then they would shoot. A lot of times it went in. It was like they knew that they could make the shot easily if they were near the hoop- I thought that was a good strategy. It seemed like it was hard for the defense to stop the big guys from shooting when they were really close to the basket.

I think if I were a coach I would get one of those big guys and tell him to get near the basket and shoot whenever possible.

My friend says I should do a "big man" camp this summer. I like smores so I might do it. But I would invite girls too and maybe even first graders.

Duke
Age 7 1/2

davekay1971
03-28-2008, 08:20 AM
My wife and I went to the games in Charlotte last night, so I missed seeing the X-WVU game. But I was happy to see WVU lose. Between Alexander's yapping during and after the Duke game and the general sliminess of Huggins, that's a team that deserved to go down.

As for the Tarholes, I'm sorry, but Wash State couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, and they had a ton of open looks. The difference in athleticism between WSU and Louisville is staggering. Carolina's going to have their hands full. Go Cards!

And, in case any of you haven't been to a Carolina game recently - their fans are still as annoying, obnoxious, and classless as always. They're out in force this year. But, of course, it's still the same people that let the Wolfpack fans fill up the Dean Dome during the Doherty fiasco.