PDA

View Full Version : I hate UNC!

dynastydefender
03-27-2008, 10:25 AM
I hate UNC like Cicero hated Carthage!!

Dang Tar-Holes!

I was at a rest stop in southern NC this past weekend and I saw this guy walk in and he had on a UNC T-Shirt that said

"Roys Rules
We play
We win
YOU go home."

If I wasn't a gentleman I would have probably swung at the guy!!:mad: Who the heck do those people think they are? Ok...done venting. I will either get banned or create a great discussion.

dw0827
03-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Amazing.

Hate. Hate. Hate.

Let me see if I have this right. You were out in public and you saw someone who was wearing a shirt embellished with words in support of a team that you HATE HATE HATE and you got so angry about it that, were you not a gentleman, you would have taken a swing at him.

Do I have that about right?

And you have the gall to ask " . . . who do those people think they are . . . "

And you think you are going to create a great discussion?

MulletMan
03-27-2008, 11:00 AM

Dang Tar-Holes!

I was at a rest stop in southern NC this past weekend and I saw this guy walk in and he had on a UNC T-Shirt that said

"Roys Rules
We play
We win
YOU go home."

If I wasn't a gentleman I would have probably swung at the guy!!:mad: Who the heck do those people think they are? Ok...done venting. I will either get banned or create a great discussion.

Yeah what was that guy thinking?! GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Oh wait... they sell that same shirt in the Bryan Center bookstore and online from Duke. The only difference being that it doesn't say anything about Roy. I believe that it says Cameron Rules.

Man, those Dukies... what a bunch of classless jerks.

godukerocks
03-27-2008, 11:02 AM
I believe I have a t-shirt whose words are almost exactly the same...
You know...

Welcome to Cameron
Our house, our rules

You play
You lose
You go home...

Edouble
03-27-2008, 11:02 AM

Dang Tar-Holes!

"Roys Rules
We play
We win
YOU go home."

There's a shirt that they used to sell (I don't know if they still sell it or not) in the Duke store that says something like:

Cameron
Our House
Our Rules
You Play
You Lose
You Go Home

Same thing?

Cameron
03-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Perhaps neither.

Only kidding. Along with fans of Ohio State, UNC faithful are by far the most arrogant around. I used to travel over to places like IC just to see "what was going on," but can't even do that anymore without wanting to jump through the screen to choke a couple thousand of 'em.

AHHHHHH! Let's Go Washington State, Louisville, and Tennessee! Anything less than the Final Four and I will have a (near) complete season as a fan. I know that's a bid sad, but it's true. If they choke, I feel much, much better. Georgetown saved my year last March.

DukeDude
03-27-2008, 11:09 AM
I used to wear a shirt that read "I think, therefore I am not a Tarheel." No one ever took a swing at me.

pamtar
03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
My wife got her BA in art history with a 3.9 GPA. Her GRE score was 1560. She applied to UNC art history and library science for the fall 2008 semester. Denied.

EVERY other school she applied to admitted her and offered her assistantships.

That goes beyond Bball. We had already planned to move to Hell (where I would be closer to CIS). I dont hate UNC, I think the entire institution is comical.

PS - lookout Durham! We're on our way to Duke in two years!

PPS - Without UNC Bball, Duke Bball wouldn't be quite as fun!

Acymetric
03-27-2008, 11:21 AM
I believe I have a t-shirt whose words are almost exactly the same...
You know...

Welcome to Cameron
Our house, our rules

You play
You lose
You go home...

By a strange coincidence, I'm wearing said shirt.

moonpie23
03-27-2008, 11:26 AM
HATRED, n.
A sentiment appropriate to the occasion of another's superiority.

wumhenry
03-27-2008, 11:27 AM
There's a shirt that they used to sell (I don't know if they still sell it or not) in the Duke store that says something like:

Cameron
Our House
Our Rules
You Play
You Lose
You Go Home

Same thing?
OK, then let's hate 'em for plagiarizing! :)

SharkD
03-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Carolina delenda est!

dukepsy1963
03-27-2008, 04:27 PM
You think of a t-shirt design (don't be too dirty now) and I'll try to design it for you.

That way you can at least try to retaliate......might make you feel better too.

Aziggazoomba
03-27-2008, 05:07 PM
I used to wear a shirt that read "I think, therefore I am not a Tarheel." No one ever took a swing at me.

You may think, but your spelling could stand a lick and a promise. It's Tar Heel. Two words.

No offense here; just spreading knowledge.

By the way---there is expressed herein a general sentiment that Tar Heel fans are, as a group, generally speaking, arrogant, etc.

Do you really think that's any less the case than with respect to Duke fans?

I'm the first to admit that there's plenty of obnoxiousness in Blue Heaven, but l've seen that quality matched (if not exceeded) many a time by wearers of the darker shade.

Just sayin'....

freedevil
03-27-2008, 05:09 PM
You may think, but your spelling could stand a lick and a promise. It's Tar Heel. Two words.

By the way---there is expressed herein a general sentiment that Tar Heel fans are, as a group, generally speaking, arrogant, etc.

I'm the first to admit that there's plenty of obnoxiousness in Blue Heaven, but l've seen that quality matched (if not exceeded) many a time by wearers of the darker shade.

Just sayin'....

Interesting first post. Interesting.

Classof06
03-27-2008, 05:18 PM

Just sayin'....

The difference I find between UNC and Duke fans is that UNC fans are just irrational. I've met UNC fans that honestly think Coach K is a racist, that honestly think the refs work for Duke, that honestly think Duke is a dirty program. They simply don't know how to separate their hate for Duke from anything close to reality. Obviously there are crazy Duke fans but most can admit a healthy respect for UNC; we may not like them but we respect what they've done. I mean, do you know any Duke fans that really don't think UNC is good this year? In 01, I knew UNC fans that swore Duke wasn't that good after we'd won the NC!!! Insanity.

At select times, I've seen Duke fans match that of UNC fans, but never have I seen it exceeded. Remember when Luol Deng got knocked out in the Dean Dome and how the crowd reacted? Ever hear about JJ Redick getting the finger from a 95 year old lady during warmups in the Dean Dome? Remember when the team used to get booed under Doherty? When that happens in Cameron, let me know.

I'm not saying Duke fans our perfect but I went to Duke for 4 years and spent countless hours both in Durham and on UNC's campus in Chapel Hill and I will say Duke fans are not as bad as UNC fans. They're just not. There are a lot of terrible Duke fans out there and I'm still not convinced. That's just my $0.02.

Cicero
03-27-2008, 05:22 PM

Given my posting name, I feel duty-bound to note that Cicero did not hate Carthage--indeed, Carthage was destroyed in the 3rd Punic War, which ended forty years before Cicero was born.

Perhaps you're thinking of Cato, who also posts (or at least used to) on this board.

Karl Beem
03-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Given my posting name, I feel duty-bound to note that Cicero did not hate Carthage--indeed, Carthage was destroyed in the 3rd Punic War, which ended forty years before Cicero was born.

Perhaps you're thinking of Cato, who also posts (or at least used to) on this board.

Wasn't Cato a contemporary of Cicero?

-jk
03-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Wasn't Cato a contemporary of Cicero?

Cato the Elder or the Younger? A few generations apart...

-jk

crote
03-27-2008, 05:32 PM

All this means is that no UNC fans are gentlemen.

Twigmas
03-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Remember when the team used to get booed under Doherty? When that happens in Cameron, let me know.

I or someone in my family attended every home game under Doherty, and I do not recall the team ever being booed. I remember one game when it was so quiet that you could hear a group of Kentucky fans booing, which was attributed to Carolina fans by a couple of people on the old DBR board. A couple of people also mentioned Jeff Capel being booed by Duke fans at one point in the same discussion.

Karl Beem
03-27-2008, 05:49 PM

-jk

OK. My knowledge of Roman history is limited to reading McCullough's books.

pfrduke
03-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Remember when the team used to get booed under Doherty? When that happens in Cameron, let me know.

There is the infamous (and much-disputed) Jeff Capel incident.

-jk
03-27-2008, 05:57 PM
There is the infamous (and much-disputed) Jeff Capel incident.

I was there. I heard some boos. But more sighs and groans. It was an unpleasant time: Jeff gave us his best, and that wasn't good enough for some people in the stands (and I won't call them "fans").

The sense of entitlement goes back a-ways. "Sometimes it just bes that way."

-jk

gkisertbdf
03-27-2008, 05:57 PM
I do not like Carolina and I will never pull for them. Their fans that I come in contact with where I live are mostly obnoxious. If they lose you would never know that a ballgame had been played. Basketball is never mentioned. If they win everyone is talking Carolina basketball with all their light blue clothes on. I will give them credit for what they have accomplished. The sooner they lose in the NCAA the happier I will be. The only NC team I am pulling for now is Davidson.

Karl Beem
03-27-2008, 05:59 PM
I was there. I heard some boos. But more sighs and groans. It was an unpleasant time: Jeff gave us his best, and that wasn't good enough for some people in the stands (and I won't call them "fans").

The sense of entitlement goes back a-ways. "Sometimes it just bes that way."

-jk

Yeah, it came across as groans on the TV. He was awful that day.

Aziggazoomba
03-27-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm not saying Duke fans our perfect but I went to Duke for 4 years and spent countless hours both in Durham and on UNC's campus in Chapel Hill and I will say Duke fans are not as bad as UNC fans. They're just not. There are a lot of terrible Duke fans out there and I'm still not convinced. That's just my $0.02.

I'm a fairly rabid Heel fan, myself, and plenty of my brethren have the healthy respect you mention. I'm the first to admit that Duke program owned UNC's for several years recently, and that K was the very best coach in the business. Didn't like it, but facts are facts. I make no apology for the ones who can't see things rationally.

But I figure there are morons on both sides of the aisle. I've heard Duke fans say the worst kinds of things about Dean Smith, and those things didn't seem too rational to me. Likewise re Roy----I mean, he's a pretty good guy, it seems to me. I get the ragging on Rasheed Wallace and Makhtar and so on and so forth, but some of the shots are pretty cheap. But I just think it goes both ways. It may seem that the UNC fans are worse simply by virtue of sheer numbers---there are probably more Carolina fans than Duke fans, generally. So the volume is simply louder.

Anyway, I love the rivalry and I guess all the hate is part by-product and part what makes it so fun.

Have a good off-season and we'll look forward to more fun next year.

Aziggazoomba
03-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Interesting first post. Interesting.

I posted here years ago. Tried not to stir things up too much and tried to be as civil as I could (accepting that as a Tar Heel fan I am an irrational lunatic and am subject to natural limitations). I even congratulated you folks after your last championship, as I recall.

So not really a first post.

Not sure why I came back. Just for the fun of it I guess. Not to gloat or anything, I promise.

ugadevil
03-27-2008, 06:12 PM

-jk

Perhaps they mean Kelvin Cato?

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Island/1393/cato1.jpg

Defenserules
03-27-2008, 06:16 PM
I hate UNC fans, UNC students, UNC players. I hate their chess team, their math squad, I hate their custodians and I especially hate Roy Williams. Where does this hatred come from? As a Duke grad growing up in North Carolina (a small town to boot) it was sickening to watch UNC kids in my school act like they owned the universe because grandpa went to Pharmacy school in Chapel Hill, or because Dad was a business major and started a hardware store on Main Street. UNC fans always say that Dukies are elitist but from my perspective in NC its the UNC fans who act like ECU, NCSU, etc grads are somehow far inferior and somehow not worth a darn. UNC grads just act like they own the world, when they might only own a few hundred acres outside of Whiteville.

Now you ask why do I hate there custodians, chess team etc....? Isn't hate a strong word? Is it not true that some of them are good people? Sure, but unfortunately they all decided to be affilated with the place and therefore they have chosen to be hated. May they all go to hell.

Defenserules
03-27-2008, 06:21 PM
1. Julius Peppers intercepting a pass and running it back for a touchdown while taking a diving plunge into the endzone when no one was near him during my senior day. May his NFL career end prematurely.

2. The idiot kicker running into our helmet after beating us on a last second kick. May his sons excel in ballet and figure skating.

Here's to hoping that Coach Cut's starts the domination of the Holes in football in the near future.

dynastydefender
03-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Ok..I am more embarassed that I was thinking of Cato and wrote Cicero as opposed to misspelling Tarheel. Thank you Cicero!!:)

dynastydefender
03-27-2008, 06:58 PM

I posted here years ago. Tried not to stir things up too much and tried to be as civil as I could (accepting that as a Tar Heel fan I am an irrational lunatic and am subject to natural limitations). I even congratulated you folks after your last championship, as I recall.

So not really a first post.

Not sure why I came back. Just for the fun of it I guess. Not to gloat or anything, I promise.

If I were not a gentleman I would not dignify your "Hate Hate hate" post with a response.

dynastydefender
03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
OK, then let's hate 'em for plagiarizing! :)

That begs me to question who came up with it first?

cato
03-27-2008, 07:07 PM

Indeed. Although someone already used my tagline earlier in the thread, I am duty bound to conclude:

Carolina Delenda Est.

RelativeWays
03-27-2008, 07:10 PM
I enjoy rooting against UNC, and I love the rivalry as a whole, beating them at Chapel Hill really helped make this year so much better than last year. That said, I have a pretty good rapport with some UNC fans (I'm married to one) so I always try to treat the team and their fans with respect. I think both Duke and UNC benefit from the scale and now national import of the rivalry, they are always trying to one up the other. So I can't say I hate UNC (thats reserved for UConn). Sure, there are plenty of simple minded bandwagon jumpers who, in NC anyway, love the tarheels and are annoying people to be around. I think Duke has a lot of obnoxious bandwagon jumpers as well, particularly during the late 90's early 2000's

To be more succinct, I can appreciate any hole fan that can discuss basketball reasonably and not act like a moron.

pfrduke
03-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the world of sport would be much better off if the word "hate" didn't get casually tossed around w/r/t how one feels toward another team and its fanbase - or if people didn't get themselves so irrationally riled up to the point that they actually feel genuine hatred toward another team and its fanbase? Hatred is a really nasty and destructive emotion...

Karl Beem
03-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the world of sport would be much better off if the word "hate" didn't get casually tossed around w/r/t how one feels toward another team and its fanbase - or if people didn't get themselves so irrationally riled up to the point that they actually feel genuine hatred toward another team and its fanbase? Hatred is a really nasty and destructive emotion...

I agree.

Lulu
03-27-2008, 07:41 PM
GO WASH ST!!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-27-2008, 07:47 PM
You are not alone! You've stated better than I what's been on my mind as I read and hear some of the comments people make. Sports should offer a venue for people to behave their best, not an outlet for irrational or immature conduct.

DukePA
03-27-2008, 07:49 PM

You are certainly correct and 99.9% of the time, I am a rational, reasonable person who does not hate the holes. But, (you knew there had to be a but) that other 1% of the time when the holes are being heels :D, I just can't help myself. . . I hate the lucky b-tards. That being said, my boyfriend is a tarheel and I find this time of year exhausting, especially this year. At least we beat them in chapel hell.

GTHC, GTH

bludev03
03-27-2008, 07:50 PM
My wife got her BA in art history with a 3.9 GPA. Her GRE score was 1560. She applied to UNC art history and library science for the fall 2008 semester. Denied.

That goes beyond Bball. We had already planned to move to Hell (where I would be closer to CIS). I dont hate UNC, I think the entire institution is comical.

BFD! Duke turns down hundreds of applicants with perfect SAT scores and GPAs well above 4.0. Did you think that maybe her essays weren't well-written? Or that she may have had too many errors? A Duke admissions counselor once said: "Spellcheck doesn't catch the difference between 'Duke' and 'Princeton'..." So you really need to elevate your thinking to a higher level - especially if you think it's solely based on GPA and GRE scores...

Lulu
03-27-2008, 08:09 PM
When I took the GRE it had 3 sections worth 800 each... has that changed?

UNC goes on something like a 9-0 run the moment I turn the game on. ...Always, always, always happens like that.

dukemsu
03-27-2008, 08:56 PM

I own a shirt that says Go To Hell Carolina.

I'll be interested to see if anyone swings at me when I'm wearing it at Ford Field in Detroit this weekend.

weezie
03-27-2008, 09:21 PM

So, you actually love the tarheels? You now declare your unending, deep and abiding love for the tarheels because it's good for the world of sport?
Maybe you should marry the tarheels if you love them so much.;)

Lotus000
03-27-2008, 11:26 PM
ABC--Anybody But Carolina. Does that make me a bad person? I just know that baby Jesus cries every time D. Green dances. And I want to sort of....lose my lunch.

...so seriously, are we all rooting against UNC?

pfrduke
03-27-2008, 11:50 PM
So, you actually love the tarheels? You now declare your unending, deep and abiding love for the tarheels because it's good for the world of sport?
Maybe you should marry the tarheels if you love them so much.;)

I know you're being tongue in cheek, but a) that's not what I said, and b) your post is illustrative of a larger point - people tend to be way too polarized (i.e., one must either love or hate, and there is nothing in between). I certainly don't root for the Tar Heels - I cheer against them in every game, and I'm always disappointed when they win (particularly if it's a close game that the opponent looks like it may pull out - see @ FSU, @ Clemson, v. Clemson, v. Va Tech, @ Virginia, @ Boston College, v. Davidson, etc., etc.).

But hatred is a visceral, ugly emotion. There are very few, if any, things in life worth holding true hatred for. As far as I'm concerned, sports and hatred should not go together, but they too often do.

moonpie23
03-28-2008, 12:13 AM
my hatred for the tarHOLES (one word) began back when South Carolina was still in the ACC. Some of my gamecock buddies and i took a road trip to chapel hell to see USC play UNC. I had heard Chapel hell was a cool place..

The TARHOLE faithful showed their respect to the coach that STARTED the tarhole legacy, frank mcguire, by holding up signs about Frank's mentally disabled son. After the gamecocks beat the tarHOLES, we were treated to the exits with TARHOLES spitting on us and throwing drinks on us.....

during the Matt era, some friends of mine took me to some of the games. I promised that i would not be obnoxious, but that i WOULD cheer for the other team. After i yelled "COACH MATT, COACH!" one of the baby blues seriously threatend my LIFE....

Classy Holes...

TarHOLE arrogance is unprecedented. When they lose, it's always history and "next year"....when they win, it's "TOTAL DOMINATION".

baby blue makes me wanna puke,....they can't have a season bad enough for me....

I had another post here recently that i got T'd up on, so i will just leave it at that.

Coballs
03-28-2008, 01:04 AM
By a strange coincidence, I'm wearing said shirt.

And I have the same tattoo.

DBFAN
03-28-2008, 01:09 AM
I know you're being tongue in cheek, but a) that's not what I said, and b) your post is illustrative of a larger point - people tend to be way too polarized (i.e., one must either love or hate, and there is nothing in between). I certainly don't root for the Tar Heels - I cheer against them in every game, and I'm always disappointed when they win (particularly if it's a close game that the opponent looks like it may pull out - see @ FSU, @ Clemson, v. Clemson, v. Va Tech, @ Virginia, @ Boston College, v. Davidson, etc., etc.).

But hatred is a visceral, ugly emotion. There are very few, if any, things in life worth holding true hatred for. As far as I'm concerned, sports and hatred should not go together, but they too often do.

no wonder teams don't fear coming into cameron anymore. Are the fans giving the other teams massages during timeouts now. It seems that we should go out of our way to make them all feel good about themselves. just wondering how many of us in here actually grew up in NC? For those of us
who did we reserve the right to say and feel what we want about Carolina. I hate everything that has anything to do with that putrid color of blue.

glutton
03-29-2008, 10:45 AM
When I took the GRE it had 3 sections worth 800 each... has that changed?

Apparently it has, since they replaced the analytical section with "analytical writing". Now you get 800 for verbal and quantitative, and a score of 0-6 on the writing section.

Regardless, UNC's library science is the best in the country, so I'm guessing they're pretty selective.

captmojo
03-29-2008, 12:09 PM
It's not that I hate them. (hate is such a strong emotion) It's their fans.

I just want something really bad to happen to them. :eek:

Spoil Lawson's special day, or something. :D :D

Gone to watch their chances against the Cards. Maybe I can come back with a smile on my face.

glutton
03-29-2008, 01:37 PM
I distinguish between "sports hate" and actual, personal hate. Tyler Hansbrough has not personally wronged me in any way, and thus hasn't done anything to deserve my hatred besides playing for UNC. But from a sports hate perspective, that's more than enough. Plenty of people love him just because he plays for UNC, so it seems perfectly fair to hold it against him.

As an analogous example, I love Demarcus... but not like I love my parents.

freedevil
03-29-2008, 03:50 PM
captmojo - I salute you.

mcdukie
03-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Even if I wasn't a Duke fan I would want to throw up every time Green dances!!!!

RelativeWays
03-29-2008, 11:44 PM
On snrubchat during the UNC-Louisville game, I was surprised to find out that some of you never saw this connection before. Watch and see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umybak2U_4Y

pfrduke
03-30-2008, 01:18 AM
no wonder teams don't fear coming into cameron anymore. Are the fans giving the other teams massages during timeouts now. It seems that we should go out of our way to make them all feel good about themselves. just wondering how many of us in here actually grew up in NC? For those of us
who did we reserve the right to say and feel what we want about Carolina. I hate everything that has anything to do with that putrid color of blue.

once again, you're unnecessarily polarizing. from your post, not hating = "giving other teams massages during time outs." that's simply not true. I'm not saying don't root against UNC. I'm not saying don't make it a miserable experience for them to come into Cameron (when I was at Duke, I did my best to make sure that was the case). When I watch UNC play, I get almost as worked up rooting for the other team as I do rooting for Duke in one of our games. But that doesn't automatically equal hate. Think of it this way - "hate" is what the 9/11 folks felt toward the US. It's what the Nazis felt toward the Jews. It's what the Israelis feel toward the Palestinians. Now ask yourself - is that really the way you feel toward UNC? If not, stop tossing around the word "hate" so casually. If so, I suggest you strongly need to reevaluate your priorities.

glutton
03-30-2008, 03:26 AM
When I watch UNC play, I get almost as worked up rooting for the other team as I do rooting for Duke in one of our games. But that doesn't automatically equal hate. Think of it this way - "hate" is what the 9/11 folks felt toward the US. It's what the Nazis felt toward the Jews. It's what the Israelis feel toward the Palestinians. Now ask yourself - is that really the way you feel toward UNC? If not, stop tossing around the word "hate" so casually. If so, I suggest you strongly need to reevaluate your priorities.

Not all hate is on the level of the Israel/Palestine conflict. I hate Dr. Pepper, the color orange, and anything involving Jessica Simpson. You may consider that "tossing it around too casually", but the word just doesn't have the same connotations for everyone.

davekay1971
03-30-2008, 07:12 AM
I hate UNC.

Mainly I hate their fans. What a bunch of ignorant, arrogant, classless, whiny buffoons. Going to Duke made me look at UNC as our rivals. Living in North Carolina has made me truly loathe their fans.

I don't hate their players, really. Oh, a few of them have earned a special scorn (Scott Williams, King Rice, Sheed, Jeff McInnis, Beaker, to name a few), but mainly they're just players who chose the wrong team, and could just as easily have been Duke players.

I hate their coaches. Deano was a self-righteous prick who thought he owned the ACC. Gut - who cares? Doherty, of course, was Duke's best friend. But Roy...Roy is the worst of them all. He's phony, lying, whiny scum, and I'm only being that nice because I'm new to the site and don't want to tick off the moderators...yet.

As a side point, only a board of Dukies could get into a deep philosophical discussion of the use of the word "hate" in this context. Head on over to Truthaboutduke.com and take a look. They don't have moral issues about "hating" us.

pamtar
03-30-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm the first to admit that Duke program owned UNC's for several years recently, and that K was the very best coach in the business.

Sorry to bring this thread back up but I believe the correct word Aziggazoomba was looking for was IS. As in, "K IS the very best coach in the business."

Thanks

The Slamming Butcher
03-30-2008, 05:52 PM
... hatred is a visceral, ugly emotion. There are very few, if any, things in life worth holding true hatred for. As far as I'm concerned, sports and hatred should not go together, but they too often do.

I HATE CAROLINA. In the true literal sense of the word. :mad:

davekay1971
03-30-2008, 05:55 PM
I HATE CAROLINA. In the true literal sense of the word. :mad:

Amen

jjasper0729
03-30-2008, 06:44 PM
hallelujah!

Son of Mojo
03-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Growing up in NC is enough entitlement to say that what I feel towards them is a form of hate--like dad said, not necessarily that you wish them harm but hope something bad happens to them. Their fan base is easily the most arrogant that I have ever had to encounter--they BELIEVE the rhetoric that they spout and it is just unbearable. They are the only people I know who regularly HAVE to contact you if your team loses, regardless if their team was the one who did beat you.....and if it was their team that did the deed you never hear the end of it. They will incessantly remind you for the better part of a week and purposely attempt to get under your skin merely for that reason. I know I always root against unc and always will but when they lose I not trying to actively engage them to let them know just how much I enjoyed that they lost (I keep that warm, fuzzy feeling inside and not said to them) but without fail, they will come to me in multiple droves to talk about just to say how they were jobbed/robbed/were hurt/etc. A perfect example of their behavior was with the Belmont game--I'm at work (unfortunately) and while working I've got no less that 5 different unc fans calling me on my work Nextel to remind me we're losing the game at that point. Gee, thanks.....now leave me alone so I can work and sweat the bullets in private!! :p It really is their fans that brings out the hatred but they've had players over the years (Scott Williams, King Rice, Eric Munster-oss, Rasheed Wallace--oh I couldn't stand him......., Vince Carter and his chest-thumping, and now Hanstravel) that have brought the feelings out, too. With Hanstravel it's not so much his aggressiveness (which a lot of times is admirable) but it's just everything he gets away with. I've never seen a guy get away with so much so consistently in hoops this side of Jordan in the nba--constant reach overs, over the back, hip/knee bumps, initiating contact (leaping into defenders arms yet the defender gets the foul every time??), and, of course, the 3 to 4 steps we see him do. That's what bothers me about him. And do I need to mention their coaches? Dean, oh Dean. . .he was just so smug that it drove me mad. D'OHerty made you want to slug him--really, a coach starting trouble with our players on the court and then backpeddles with his arms up like he did nothing? And now ol' Roy. Dad gum it all he frikkin' is the second coming of Dean with his attitude but the stories I've read on the site where he will say and act one way as a public face but behind the curtain is so different says a lot for their program as a whole to me. That's really the breakdown of hatred--fans, players, coaches. They can bring out the worst in their fellow hole fans when they congregate and love nothing more than to insult a Blue Devil. Hope none of you who chose to read my (first!!!!) post fell asleep reading it all but for what I've had to be exposed to from the hole fans since about age 10 to now (age 31) has been a bear to deal with and will have to continue to deal with. Let's strike back hard next year and continue to improve--go Duke!!!

moonpie23
03-31-2008, 12:39 PM
you can say what you want about matt D, but he gave us some of the best years in the rivalry....... :)

and just remember.....he's not walking through that door to recruit any more players for "fricken-boy"

i always thought it would be great if state had hired doh....

eddiehaskell
03-31-2008, 12:43 PM
"i always thought it would be great if state had hired doh...."

mmm, that would be nice. It would surely strike up a NCSU-UNC rivalry.

dynastydefender
04-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I own a shirt that says Go To Hell Carolina.

I'll be interested to see if anyone swings at me when I'm wearing it at Ford Field in Detroit this weekend.

Where can I get one of those shirts?

dukemsu
04-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Where can I get one of those shirts?

Try Ebay-that is where I got mine. I am sure there are some in and around Durham but I live nowhere near there, so I tried Ebay.

cf-62
05-10-2008, 01:28 PM

Similar story with my better half: was a Duke math major -- accepted into grad school in UVA's Applied Mathematics, UConn and URI actuarial programs and NC State Statistics (these are all either #1 or #2 programs in the country). UNC did not accept. What a joke!

For those of us that went to high school in NC, the question that got you disqualified from the Morehead scholarship was "if you don't get the scholarship, are you still going to UNC?" I couldn't help myself -- "Heck no! I'm going to Duke!"

devildeac
05-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Similar story with my better half: was a Duke math major -- accepted into grad school in UVA's Applied Mathematics, UConn and URI actuarial programs and NC State Statistics (these are all either #1 or #2 programs in the country). UNC did not accept. What a joke!

For those of us that went to high school in NC, the question that got you disqualified from the Morehead scholarship was "if you don't get the scholarship, are you still going to UNC?" I couldn't help myself -- "Heck no! I'm going to Duke!"

Another morehead story, paraphrased:

morehead committee member: "what other schools are you applying to?"
candidate: "Duke and X, Y and Z universities"
m.c.m.: "Why would you EVER want to go to Duke(apparently asked in about as sarcastic and arrogant tone as possible)?"
candidate: "because I want to stay in the South for college and Duke is the best university in the South"
m.c.m: "oh"

interview ended very shortly after that exchange.

I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.(s)

moonpie23
05-10-2008, 05:16 PM
what is the only thing a duke student and unc student have in common?

they were both eligible for unc....

duketaylor
05-10-2008, 05:47 PM
I have plenty of GTHC shirts available. Please just PM me. Thanks, GTHC, GTH!!!

jjasper0729
05-10-2008, 06:54 PM
I pretty much sank my morehead interview when they asked if I intended to apply anywhere else and I said I had applied early decision to Duke. few weeks later, accepted so i was done before christmas. :)

duke'61
05-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Best Morehead story I have heard--Student from a Duke family was attending the interview weekend at UNC, part of which was watching the Duke-Carolina b-ball game on TV and of course rooting for the heels and ridiculing Duke. He couldn't take it so he left at half and called home to talk to someone on the correct side of the rivalry.

camcraz25
05-11-2008, 02:01 AM
I have plenty of GTHC shirts available. Please just PM me. Thanks, GTHC, GTH!!!

and I have the GTHC stickers so your car can match you :)

devildeac
05-11-2008, 11:11 AM
and I have the GTHC stickers so your car can match you :)

Shameless plug for these decals. Everyone I have showed them to has wanted one or received one as a gift from me. They provoke smiles and laughter whenever I show them to folks. I even have a few State fans who have wanted them:D .

davekay1971
05-11-2008, 01:44 PM
A friend and coworker told me the story of how he became a Duke fan when he used to be a Carolina fan.

He grew up in NC and grew up a Tarhole fan. During the mid 90s, near the end of the Dean Smith era, my friend was working to help a W-S area charity (a camp for disabled kids) and sent one basketball to Duke and one to UNC. Each ball was sent with letters informing Coach K and Smith, respectively, that he was hoping the coach would autograph the balls so he could auction them, all proceeds going to the camp. The ball he sent to UNC was returned with a form letter explaining that their policy did not allow them to sign the ball for that purpose. The ball he sent to Duke came back with, not only Coach K's signature, but also with the signature of each assistant and EVERY player on the team...no questions asked.

My friend's been an ardent Duke supporter and Tarhole hater ever since.

Defenserules
05-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I actually received the Morehead, no questions about Duke, but after I received the B.N. Duke and got a scholarship to Davidson, UNC was pretty much at the bottom of my list. Anyway, when I called the Morehead Dir. he was really rude and basically well.... actually told me I was making a huge mistake. I was shocked by his attitude and by his assertion so in a bit of angry reply I told him that only someone that works at UNC would ever consider a person taking a fully academic scholarship to Duke as being a mistake and that it just didn't make sense for me to go to a school that was academically less prestigious when Duke would be free to. He then said well I'm sorry you feel that way and hung up.

At my wedding my brother who is a UNC grad but a Duke fan said in his toast that he was never prouder of me than when I turned down the Morehead. Makes my heart warm to hate the heels, and I love telling UNC grads that I won the Morehead Scholarship and then telling them that I went to Duke. Deflates their egos every time.

GTHC!

DukePA
05-12-2008, 08:05 PM
I actually received the Morehead, no questions about Duke, but after I received the B.N. Duke and got a scholarship to Davidson, UNC was pretty much at the bottom of my list. Anyway, when I called the Morehead Dir. he was really rude and basically well.... actually told me I was making a huge mistake. I was shocked by his attitude and by his assertion so in a bit of angry reply I told him that only someone that works at UNC would ever consider a person taking a fully academic scholarship to Duke as being a mistake and that it just didn't make sense for me to go to a school that was academically less prestigious when Duke would be free to. He then said well I'm sorry you feel that way and hung up.

At my wedding my brother who is a UNC grad but a Duke fan said in his toast that he was never prouder of me than when I turned down the Morehead. Makes my heart warm to hate the heels, and I love telling UNC grads that I won the Morehead Scholarship and then telling them that I went to Duke. Deflates their egos every time.

GTHC!

I'm adding you and your brother to my hero list. Way to go!!!

DukeDevilDeb
05-12-2008, 08:20 PM
All this means is that no UNC fans are gentlemen.

I promise you that, for every Duke fan who says that Tar Heel fans are not gentlemen, there are 25 Tar Hell fans who say worse things about Dukies....

That's why it's a rivalry! :D

Uncle Drew
05-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Growing up in NC is enough entitlement to say that what I feel towards them is a form of hate--like dad said, not necessarily that you wish them harm but hope something bad happens to them. Their fan base is easily the most arrogant that I have ever had to encounter--they BELIEVE the rhetoric that they spout and it is just unbearable. They are the only people I know who regularly HAVE to contact you if your team loses, regardless if their team was the one who did beat you.....and if it was their team that did the deed you never hear the end of it. They will incessantly remind you for the better part of a week and purposely attempt to get under your skin merely for that reason. I know I always root against unc and always will but when they lose I not trying to actively engage them to let them know just how much I enjoyed that they lost (I keep that warm, fuzzy feeling inside and not said to them) but without fail, they will come to me in multiple droves to talk about just to say how they were jobbed/robbed/were hurt/etc. A perfect example of their behavior was with the Belmont game--I'm at work (unfortunately) and while working I've got no less that 5 different unc fans calling me on my work Nextel to remind me we're losing the game at that point. Gee, thanks.....now leave me alone so I can work and sweat the bullets in private!! :p It really is their fans that brings out the hatred but they've had players over the years (Scott Williams, King Rice, Eric Munster-oss, Rasheed Wallace--oh I couldn't stand him......., Vince Carter and his chest-thumping, and now Hanstravel) that have brought the feelings out, too. With Hanstravel it's not so much his aggressiveness (which a lot of times is admirable) but it's just everything he gets away with. I've never seen a guy get away with so much so consistently in hoops this side of Jordan in the nba--constant reach overs, over the back, hip/knee bumps, initiating contact (leaping into defenders arms yet the defender gets the foul every time??), and, of course, the 3 to 4 steps we see him do. That's what bothers me about him. And do I need to mention their coaches? Dean, oh Dean. . .he was just so smug that it drove me mad. D'OHerty made you want to slug him--really, a coach starting trouble with our players on the court and then backpeddles with his arms up like he did nothing? And now ol' Roy. Dad gum it all he frikkin' is the second coming of Dean with his attitude but the stories I've read on the site where he will say and act one way as a public face but behind the curtain is so different says a lot for their program as a whole to me. That's really the breakdown of hatred--fans, players, coaches. They can bring out the worst in their fellow hole fans when they congregate and love nothing more than to insult a Blue Devil. Hope none of you who chose to read my (first!!!!) post fell asleep reading it all but for what I've had to be exposed to from the hole fans since about age 10 to now (age 31) has been a bear to deal with and will have to continue to deal with. Let's strike back hard next year and continue to improve--go Duke!!!

Mojo, that was one of the best posts I have read on here in quite a while. It was almost like you were reading from my diary. Truth be told since 99% of us have little or no interaction with present or former UNC players, most of our loathing is based on what we see on TV and from their fans. (Although George Lynch did spot my Duke sticker at the mall one day and told me, "Duke sucks". To which I replied, "Carolina swallows" and we both had a good laugh.) There are people on DBR who will say they respect UNC as a school, it's players and coaches, and that the Duke vs UNC rivalry needs each other to be good. I am a firm believer that hating one's enemy makes a person try that much harder to defeat said enemy at any cost. Yes I want to see Duke win 24/7, I guess the difference is some Duke fans see Duke vs the Evil Empire as a friendly thing. I see UNC as not only standing in the way of Duke's continued success but the goal of achieving even greater heights of success.

I think one of the things that makes me want to wretch my guts out about UNC is the quote unquote "Carolina Family". Kenny Smith, Stewart Scott, Larry Brown, George Karl, Mitch Kupchak, Roy Williams, Mia Hamm, Michael Jordan etc. all freely extoll the vitues and dogma of UNC in print and any time a camera is aimed on them. I swear it's like some secret skull and bones society where they are all plotting to turn things to putrid blue and give UNC every advantage they can however they can. Duke gets slammed by fans of every school in the country, and it irritates me to know end that they can't see UNC is the Evil Empire trying to keep them down, NOT Duke. Maryland fans have somehow gotten it in their head that Duke is standing between them and greatness. Apparently their memory only goes back ten years and they don't remember UNC rules, in UNC's conference in games being officiated by UNC refs.

I suppose perspective is different if you became a Duke fan while attending Duke. But for those of us who remember when Duke was waaaay down and every bloody college basketball fan in the state of North Carolina seemed to be either a UNC or NCSU fan, it's actually amazing to see what Duke has done in the Coach K era. I can't say I want death, injurry or personal loss on any UNC fan, player or coach. But I do want them to fail on the court / field misreably while at UNC and in the professional ranks. And when a Marion Jones, James Worthy, Lawrence Taylor scandal does hit I do feel for their families and loved ones. But the mere fact they are tarheels makes my sympathy for them much less if non existant.

I did not go to Duke, for financial, GPA, program major and other reasons but I truly admire those of you who did and were able to. When an alum starts spouting off how much better the acadmics are at Duke, it does sound a little elitist. But as an arrogant person I say more power to you and you paid the price to attain a very difficult goal. Duke does get a bad rap for elitism, right or wrong and UNC loves to use that stupid line about being the University of the people and for the people. In other words the school for the common man to attend. We all know UNC is NOT an easy school to get into, if for no other reason than the fact that so many people apply each year. But please someone inform me what is attractive about going to the school of the common man? Who wants to be common? I'm not saying if you are a Duke grad you are entitled, but you should certainly be considered more special than someone who went to Kennesaw State College in Georgia. If our lives are about becoming the best person we can be and learning as much as we can durring this thing called life wouldn't attending a higher HIGHER academic institution me the best choice all things given?

Things between Duke and UNC fans have gotten more heated than they ever were 25 years ago. Duke was viewed as the lovable losers and UNC were the kings of the state. If you went to your local mall you never saw anyone wearing Duke shirts or hats. Well after a few national championships UNC sees Duke as a threat to their 50 year superiority in the state of North Carolina and they aren't quite as perky as they used to be. They will always own the media due to having more journalism majors in this country than there are Al Queda members worldwide. And those grads will take every poshot at Duke they can and blow light blue smoke up the glutimus maximus of anyone stupid enough to bend over. I want to see a nice scandal hit them along the lines of what is going on at USC and Indiana right now. No scratch that I want to see scandal hit UNC like the one that hit CCNY in the 1950's and be done with them for good. You may hate UNC Mojo, I hate them more.

Stray Gator
05-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Another morehead story, paraphrased:

morehead committee member: "what other schools are you applying to?"
candidate: "Duke and X, Y and Z universities"
m.c.m.: "Why would you EVER want to go to Duke(apparently asked in about as sarcastic and arrogant tone as possible)?"
candidate: "because I want to stay in the South for college and Duke is the best university in the South"
m.c.m: "oh"

interview ended very shortly after that exchange.

I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.(s)

I don't know where you heard that story, devildeac, but that is precisely what happened to me--and I mean word for word--except the "oh" response from the committee member at the end was more of a "harumph." And the interview ended immediately, with the committee chair saying, under raised eyebrows, "Well, thank you then" and closing his file folder.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 01:28 PM
new t-shirt sighting (on my daughter's boyfriend-he's a fine, young intelligent gentleman:D):

front-"the only thing I hate more than carolina basketball...

back-"is carolina fans"

classic. priceless.

godukerocks
05-24-2008, 05:42 PM
I would like to say, that I also hate Johns Hopkins.

Karl Beem
05-24-2008, 05:58 PM
I guess JH doesn't hate us.:(

godukerocks
05-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Well, too bad for them, we have championship caliber teams other than just lacrosse.

How did they become such a powerhouse anyway? They don't compete in the same way in any other sport.

Sorry. Lax thread, I know.

Bostondevil
05-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Going way back and somehow I doubt it gets read by Aziggazoomba, but when I was growing up in Durham, that's what State fans said, Aziggazoomba, I mean.

It's the DBR, we can spell TarHeel anyway we want. What if one of us went over to IC and said, "Ahem, it's Duke, not (wow, DBR won't let me spell it with 2 o's, maybe that's why we're cleaner around here.)" Would we be treated civilly, I wonder?

I also hate Johns Hopkins now, quite a bit actually. I hate Holy Cross too but for different reasons, although not the women's basketball team, them I like.

A poster on the OTB sent us to IC recently for a thread that I couldn't find. I did however find one about how with Boozer out of the NBA playoffs, once again all Dukies were gone. They then went on to brag about how many UNC players had won NBA Championships including the remarkable careers of Scott Williams (apparently he was on those early '90s Bulls teams with Jordan, who knew?) and Hubert Davis. Hubert Davis! I kid you not. Then there was a small discussion about whether he should count or not because he was no longer actually riding the bench for the Pistons come playoff time. Please.

OK, so no Dukies have won NBA Championships except for Danny Ferry in the Coach K era, so what? Take Michael Jordan away and the Heels have Rasheed Wallace and Hubert Davis (disputed). Some comparison. Let's face it, Wake Forest owns both of us in that respect. Except since Kobe has stated openly that if he had gone to college he would have gone to Duke, I say we get to count his 3. ;)

I know, you can't take Michael Jordan away, but raise your hand if you think he would have been just as great if he'd gone somewhere else for college.

upstateny
05-26-2008, 11:21 AM
I think James Worthy had some success in the NBA finals.

Bostondevil
05-26-2008, 12:02 PM
The point of thread was the Coach K era. Yes, yes, Worthy finished his career in the early years of Coach K but they were really discussing post '86 stuff.

CDu
05-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Going way back and somehow I doubt it gets read by Aziggazoomba, but when I was growing up in Durham, that's what State fans said, Aziggazoomba, I mean.

It's the DBR, we can spell TarHeel anyway we want. What if one of us went over to IC and said, "Ahem, it's Duke, not (wow, DBR won't let me spell it with 2 o's, maybe that's why we're cleaner around here.)" Would we be treated civilly, I wonder?

I also hate Johns Hopkins now, quite a bit actually. I hate Holy Cross too but for different reasons, although not the women's basketball team, them I like.

A poster on the OTB sent us to IC recently for a thread that I couldn't find. I did however find one about how with Boozer out of the NBA playoffs, once again all Dukies were gone. They then went on to brag about how many UNC players had won NBA Championships including the remarkable careers of Scott Williams (apparently he was on those early '90s Bulls teams with Jordan, who knew?) and Hubert Davis. Hubert Davis! I kid you not. Then there was a small discussion about whether he should count or not because he was no longer actually riding the bench for the Pistons come playoff time. Please.

OK, so no Dukies have won NBA Championships except for Danny Ferry in the Coach K era, so what? Take Michael Jordan away and the Heels have Rasheed Wallace and Hubert Davis (disputed). Some comparison. Let's face it, Wake Forest owns both of us in that respect. Except since Kobe has stated openly that if he had gone to college he would have gone to Duke, I say we get to count his 3. ;)

I know, you can't take Michael Jordan away, but raise your hand if you think he would have been just as great if he'd gone somewhere else for college.

I'm not sure I see the point. As you said, you can't take Jordan away. Of course he would have been just as great somewhere else. But that's kind of irrelevant. He DIDN'T go somewhwere else. Wake doesn't have UNC beat in any respect. UNC has Jordan's six, Kenny Smith's two, and Rasheed's one. That's 9 of the 22 in the era that you're discussing. And if you include the two that Worthy won since 1986, then you've got 11 of the 22 titles in which UNC had a key starter involved. So even if you take Jordan's six away, you'd have five for UNC and four for Wake. And if you do the same thing with Duncan that you do with Jordan, it's five to zero.

It's kind of a pointless discussion, if you ask me. UNC has been incredibly prolific in the NBA for decades. We've certainly had less NBA success until recently, but now our players are doing better individually in the League. But who cares? Duke doesn't play in the NBA, and neither does UNC. The "NBA success" thing is the type of argument that UNC fans would make to try to discount the fact that no college basketball team has been more successful in the ESPN era than Duke.

Bostondevil
05-26-2008, 01:27 PM
What's my point? That it's a lame argument to compare success of UNC players in terms of winning NBA Championships to Coach K players winning NBA Championships when what you really have is Rasheed Wallace and Kenny Smith. Forgot about Kenny Smith until someone reminded me, who did he play for? Did he start? I think Rick Fox might have been on those Shaq-Kobe Lakers teams too. But those Lakers teams sure didn't win because they had Rick Fox. In that respect, the Spurs didn't win because they had Danny Ferry either. I'm not a big NBA fan, can you tell? I watch the Celtics with my husband but that's about it.

If you're limiting it, truly, to the Coach K era then I say you don't get to count Micheal Jordan's 6 championships because, well, technically Coach K could have recruited him, I suppose, but he was a first year coach at Duke when Jordan was a high school senior. How early did Jordan commit? I'll argue that Coach K missed that opportunity before he ever came to Duke so . . . Recruiting Jordan would be a whole new animal today, he might have even grown up a Devils fan.

I just read the glee expressed in the thread over at IC and thought, lame, lame, lame, particularly when they brought up Hubert Davis as though his riding the bench for the Pistons proves that UNC is better than Duke. In the past UNC has produced better pros, yes, I don't think that's true any longer but I will concede that it used to be true. If the baby blues want to hang onto that to make themselves feel better, well, OK, but it's still lame to talk about winning NBA championships as though these teams wouldn't have done it without a Heel on the roster.

devildeac
05-26-2008, 02:03 PM
What's my point? That it's a lame argument to compare success of UNC players in terms of winning NBA Championships to Coach K players winning NBA Championships when what you really have is Rasheed Wallace and Kenny Smith. Forgot about Kenny Smith until someone reminded me, who did he play for? Did he start? I think Rick Fox might have been on those Shaq-Kobe Lakers teams too. But those Lakers teams sure didn't win because they had Rick Fox. In that respect, the Spurs didn't win because they had Danny Ferry either. I'm not a big NBA fan, can you tell? I watch the Celtics with my husband but that's about it.

If you're limiting it, truly, to the Coach K era then I say you don't get to count Micheal Jordan's 6 championships because, well, technically Coach K could have recruited him, I suppose, but he was a first year coach at Duke when Jordan was a high school senior. How early did Jordan commit? I'll argue that Coach K missed that opportunity before he ever came to Duke so . . . Recruiting Jordan would be a whole new animal today, he might have even grown up a Devils fan.

I just read the glee expressed in the thread over at IC and thought, lame, lame, lame, particularly when they brought up Hubert Davis as though his riding the bench for the Pistons proves that UNC is better than Duke. In the past UNC has produced better pros, yes, I don't think that's true any longer but I will concede that it used to be true. If the baby blues want to hang onto that to make themselves feel better, well, OK, but it's still lame to talk about winning NBA championships as though these teams wouldn't have done it without a Heel on the roster.

please let's stop this discussion now! Mods, please remove all these posts discussing unc and the nba. Next thing you know, one of them will get the idea to hang nba championship banners in the dump on the hump and take credit for even more championships the university didn't win:o:eek::D;).

rsvman
05-26-2008, 02:11 PM
new t-shirt sighting (on my daughter's boyfriend-he's a fine, young intelligent gentleman:D):

back-"is carolina fans"

classic. priceless.

I went to a fund-raising walk last weekend and there was a guy there who was a UVa fan and was wearing a decidedly anti-Carolina UVa shirt.
It said: "Friends don't let friends go to Carolina."
Kind of cliche, but mildly amusing. But then, in smaller print, on the bottom of the back of this shirt, it said:

"Partnership for a TarHeel-free America."

That made me laugh out loud. Could we borrow this phrase and get it on some shirts?

WiJoe
05-26-2008, 02:23 PM

back-"is carolina fans"

classic. priceless.

Please find out where that shirt was purchased.

GOTTA have one.

Jerry in Wisconsin

:cool:

Bostondevil
05-26-2008, 02:37 PM
please let's stop this discussion now! Mods, please remove all these posts discussing unc and the nba. Next thing you know, one of them will get the idea to hang nba championship banners in the dump on the hump and take credit for even more championships the university didn't win:o:eek::D;).

I wouldn't put it past 'em, but I will comply with your request, devildeac.

devildeac
05-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Please find out where that shirt was purchased.

GOTTA have one.

Jerry in Wisconsin

:cool:

I have asked him to PM you later today or tomorrow. He thinks he bought it at Pro Image, a sports shop at Triangle Town Center, a large mall in north Raleigh:D.

ArnieMc
05-27-2008, 09:23 AM
You can design your own t-shirts at a ton of places for about $25 delivered. I have successfully used t-shirts.com.

Uncle Drew
05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
The NBA TITLES / RINGS UNC players have won is rivaled by no other school as much as I loathe to admit it. And while I hate Michael Jordan with a passion, he basically donated rings to other UNC players by insisting they be on the bulls. Scott Williams riding the bench was his call to management who did anything ad everythig he asked. I also recall about his second or third year insisting they trade a Duke player, (Gene Banks maybe?) And a trade went down. Scott Williams has three rings, THREE! I'm not going to even bother researching how many minutes he played per game or how much he scored or rebounded. But it's safe to say Scott Williams deserved those rings like Rosie O'Donnel deserves a Miss America title.

As for Kenny Smith and Worthy they were both starters and key figures on championship teams. That being said Worthy and Smith were both second or third options on the Rockets and Lakers back in the day. So while they definately contributed and did something to earn their rings they certain weren't "the man". Unless anyone here thinks they are better than Hakeen, Magic or Karem. Again while both players were good they were put in the right situations to contribute and with the right players to ride the coat tails of. Perhaps the best player (at least in college) of the 1982 UNC team was Sam Perkins and he never won a ring and only managed a few playoff appearances.

The only Duke players I know to win a ring were Jeff Mulins with the (1974 I think) California (no not Golden State yet) Warriors and Danny Ferry with the Spurs a few years back. Mr. Mullins was a 1st or second option while Ferry saw limited duty. But a ring is a ring for Duke just like it is for UNC players. But quite a few of them thought Carter, Stackhouse and Jamison would have rings by now and they don't. Grant Hill was probably Duke's best shot to be "the man" and get a ring. But injury slowed what was headed for a hall of fame career. Lettner as awesome as he was in college was at best a second or third option in the NBA and never had great players along side him. Boozer and Brand are both high class talent and possible HOF's if injuries don't deter their careers.

Sometimes you have to get in the right, or a better situation to succeeed. (See Mike D in Indy for example.) I doubt JJ will ever be a star but he could certainly be a vital role player on a really good team and win a ring. Maggette and Deng are both great athletes who could be this missing piece for many NBA teams. UNC touting their NBA rings is funny because it took being on the right team for the most part. Aside from Jordan none of their players was "the man" and the year Jordan was allowed to earn fifty million dollars and bypass the sallary cap for a year, that would have been fine with me. But he should have been playing with the Fuquay Varina highschool boys team every night. I'd love to see how he would have done with THOSE team mates.

NBA rings will come, the odds just end up working in Duke's favor when they have so many players on so many teams. The problem is it is mostly out of their hands and up to coaches and executives to decide who plays along with them. Right now if you said what school is producing the best NBA players the answer is very simple......NO SCHOOL. With Lebron, Kobe, Amare etc. skipping college and making an instant impact they out rank Duke, UNC, UCONN, UK etc. It will be interesting to see how any two year rule affects where top players go to school over the next few years. One and dones have gotten schools to the moutain top over the past few years, but aside from Carmello haven't allowed them to plant their school flag on top of Everest.

Does anyone recall a guy by the name of Matt Fish who sat on the bench for four years at UNC but got drafted because of his height and spent another ten years in the NBA riding the bench their too? I can see why players want to attend UNC. Even their bench players have long NBA careers.