PDA

View Full Version : Do We Still Allow Transfers Or Are Players Not Interested?

Franzez
03-27-2008, 09:49 AM
In my lifetime I can only remember us bringing in 1 transfer who actually provided for us in Dahntay Jones.

Since then we've had players transfer out of Duke but we havent brought in any transfers,did Coach K put a ban on incoming transfers or are guys looking to transfer not interested in Duke?

I think Coach K should take a look at a guy like Jordan Crawford if he decides to transfer out of Indiana.

riverside6
03-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Not sure how young you are (since you said "in my lifetime"), but they did bring in Roshown McLeod who was a key contributor in 97-98.

Not sure about transfers and the theory behind bringing them in. I know for McLeod one of the key factors is that Duke actually recruited him but missed. Can't remember if Dahntay Jones was in the same boat or not.

Typically the guys Duke recruits are good enough wherever they go that they don't want/need to leave.

CDu
03-27-2008, 10:01 AM
In my lifetime I can only remember us bringing in 1 transfer who actually provided for us in Dahntay Jones.

Since then we've had players transfer out of Duke but we havent brought in any transfers,did Coach K put a ban on incoming transfers or are guys looking to transfer not interested in Duke?

I think Coach K should take a look at a guy like Jordan Crawford if he decides to transfer out of Indiana.

We've had two major transfer imports: Roshown McLeod and Dahntay Jones. Both were pretty productive additions for us. That said, it's definitely not a preferred (or even remotely common) method of recruiting for Duke.

I don't really see why Duke would consider a guy like Crawford. Not that he isn't a good player (he is), but this team is VERY deep at the guard spot. We will likely have Smith, Williams, Scheyer, Pocius, and maybe Henderson (if he doesn't go to the NBA after his junior year) at Crawford's position by the time he'd be eligible, not including whomever comes in the 2009 recruiting class.

Jumbo
03-27-2008, 10:04 AM

Franzez, a few things:

1) Please stop using italics in every post.
2) Coach K, like most coaches, prefers to recruit kids out of high school and develop relationships with them over time. That said, as has been mentioned, he'll take the occasional transfer who is the right fit (McLeod, Jones).
3) Why should Coach K look at Crawford? He hasn't transferred. He has shown no interest in Duke. He is a wing, and Duke has a zillion wings. We have no idea if he is an academic fit for Duke, or what his character is like (both could be great, for all I know). It's silly to just throw out names when all you know about the kid is that he might be a talented basketball player. A lot more goes into building a team, and this isn't the NBA where you can just trade or cut a problem child.
4) Duke has 12 players currently on scholarship. Coach K is looking to bring in a big class in 2009. Any transfer wouldn't be eligible until 2009. Where would you find room for a guy?

Franzez
03-27-2008, 10:13 AM
We've had two major transfer imports: Roshown McLeod and Dahntay Jones. Both were pretty productive additions for us. That said, it's definitely not a preferred (or even remotely common) method of recruiting for Duke.

I don't really see why Duke would consider a guy like Crawford. Not that he isn't a good player (he is), but this team is VERY deep at the guard spot. We will likely have Smith, Williams, Scheyer, Pocius, and maybe Henderson (if he doesn't go to the NBA after his junior year) at Crawford's position by the time he'd be eligible, not including whomever comes in the 2009 recruiting class.
True,I didnt mean Jordan Crawford exactly but I just threw his name out there because hes a very talented young guard on the perimeter.

shadowfax336
03-27-2008, 10:30 AM
you do realize that [posting in italics] makes your posts annoying for everybody else to read right?

are you trying to assert your individuality by being annoying?
or is the particular attribute that constitutes your innate individuality your annoyingness?

no seriously though, its difficult to read, and generally makes me just want to skip over anything you write thats longer than 2 lines. Its not that its impossible, its just that its very unnecessary. Other posters here are able to assert their individuality with creative avatars/sigs. For instance Cameron is currently asserting his individuality by becoming the property of Jumbo, and his posts are still quite readable. Its really possible to set yourself apart without annoying others.

Jumbo
03-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Is this better?

But really is it just that im younger or is this forum full of members over 45?

This board is a total mixed bag -- college students and Duke fans/grads of various ages. The thing that almost everyone has in common is a genuine respect for one another, the forum and a preference for high-quality discourse.

But since you're interested in talking about ages, would I be correct in guessing that you haven't graduated from high school yet?