PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Question

sanhew
03-27-2008, 09:45 AM
(If this belongs on the Off-Topic Board, feel free to move it). Does anyone know the status of Nate Freiman, Duke's first baseman? He's been missing from the box scores of games for a few weeks now. Is he sidelined by injury or has he left the team?

It's been great seeing Duke's success in baseball so far this year. They've won all their nonconference games and beaten Virginia, G. Tech and the Tarholes. Looks like the program has improved immensely since McNally was hired as head coach.

godukerocks
03-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Apparently he started the first 14 games and hasn't played since the last game of the unc series. As for why, I cannot find.

P.S. Why would this be off topic? Duke baseball rocks.

dcarp23
03-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Not only have they beaten UNC, UVA and Tech, they have gone 4-5 against the teams, all of whom were ranked at the time Duke played them. In fact, in the series against Tech, Duke lost a two run game and a one run game before winning the finale 10-3. A sweep of that series was not that far off.

If Duke can take care of business against the lower rung of ACC teams in Maryland, BC, and Va Tech and hold their own against Miami, Clemson, NC State and Wake, maybe a postseason appearance isn't that farfetched.

dyedwab
03-27-2008, 12:32 PM
I really like the direction the baseball team is headed... I think McNally has a great sense of what he can do.

There was a great piece recently in Blue Devil Weekly about the baseball team and McNally's plan for building the program...I read it in hard copy otherwise I would link.

The ACC is a tough baseball conference and getting tougher, but I think we have the guy who understands Duke, baseball, and how to build a program

dcarp23
03-27-2008, 01:24 PM
I think this is the article you read. If not, here is another: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22847&SPID=1850&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1416100

The team hosts Miami, who is currently ranked number 2 in the country, this weekend.

dyedwab
03-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Its interesting to note the Duke basketball has an excellent baseball tradtion.

Our first hoops All American, Bill Werber, had a productive 10+ year career in Major League Baseball in the 1930's and 1940's

Our first hoops retired jersey, belonged to Dick Groat, the National League MVP as a Shortstop for the world champion Pittsburgh Pirates

And who can forget Trajan Langdon, who was technically a walk-on for a couple of years because the San Diego Padres were paying for him to play minor league ball during the summer.

sanhew
03-27-2008, 01:48 PM
I called the Athletic Department and got an answer on Nate Freiman. Though the athletic representative I spoke with said he couldn't go into detail, he did say that Nate would definitely be back with the team in 2 or 3 weeks. It's not for me to speculate as to the reason for his absence, but it's good to know he'll be returning to the squad in time for the ACC Tournament and, hopefully, the post-season. He's arguably one of the top 2-3 hitters on the team.

dkbaseball
03-27-2008, 06:44 PM
I think this is the article you read. If not, here is another: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22847&SPID=1850&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1416100

The team hosts Miami, who is currently ranked number 2 in the country, this weekend.

I think FSU is ranked number two this week. UNC and UVA are both ranked, and Ga. Tech was earlier in the season. This is indeed looking like the season where improvement is finally evident. It would be great to see McNally, a star for Duke as a player, get it done.

To add on to the point about Duke basketball's cross-fertilization with the baseball team: Jim Spanarkel pitched a shutout against a very good Clemson team when he was a freshman. Ron Righter, a forward on the basketball team who eventually transferred to St Joseph's, was also a pitcher on the baseball team. Frank Tanana, the best lefthander in the American League for a few years in the '70s, was going to come to Duke on a basketball scholarship before deciding that the Angels were offering him too much money not to sign out of high school.