PDA

View Full Version : Advantage of a small student body?

DevilAlumna
03-27-2008, 01:00 AM
Davidson is picking up the tab (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7957524/Davidson-will-pay-for-students'-trips-to-NCAA-tourney?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=99)for students who want to attend the game on Friday! Wow, and I thought free laundry service was a nice perk.

weezie
03-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Well, Duke has free bus service!

And, they don't charge a tent fee for Krzyzewskiville...yet;)

BCGroup
03-27-2008, 08:09 AM
I think this is awesome! According to the report, a donor picked up the tab. What a once in a lifetime opportunity for the students.

happydays1949
03-27-2008, 08:10 AM
I just read about that in the paper. Isn't that wonderful for those kids. Talk about a 6th man. Davidson get it.

They are my new 2nd favorite team!

Edouble
03-27-2008, 11:15 AM
I just read about that in the paper. Isn't that wonderful for those kids. Talk about a 6th man. Davidson get it.

They are my new 2nd favorite team!

Difficult for me to get on this Davidson bandwagon. A guy I knew in grad school told me that every kid at Davidson hates Duke. This guy was from Connecticut, went to Davidson, pulled for UConn, and said the most mean-spirited, offensive things, not just about Duke basketball, but also the school itself. I was told by him that Duke-hating was standard practice on the Davidson campus. Maybe he was embellishing, and it was just his group of friends that were so anti-Duke. Thinking backs to my days in section 19, however, the Davidson visiting section always was pretty obnoxious.

Devilsfan
03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Just more in state envy. Not everyone can get into Duke. It comes with the territory.

weezie
03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Yep; plenty of people I knew at Duke had also been accepted at Davidson, including myself.
But, I don't resent Davidson enjoying their trip to the Sweets. Let them have some fun. That way it will be tastier when we beat them in pre-season next year.

Lavabe
03-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Umm, Davidson beat Emory earlier this season.:eek:

Seriously.

I am waiting for the football teams to meet.;)

I am, however, glad that they are doing this for their students.
Cheers,
Lavabe

doctorhook
03-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Ddouble,

Most of the Duke hating at Davidson comes from the UNC fans, Charlotte connection, etc. I do not think it is more prevalent at Davidson than anywhere else. As for the academic side, from someone who graduated from both institutions, I can assure you there is not any Duke envy. Doc

du_bb1
03-27-2008, 01:23 PM
to insinuate that Davidson is an inferior school is just wrong. I am sure there are some there who do not enjoy the royal blue--probably really not that many--but as mentioned tha Charloote connection is rampant

doctorhook
03-27-2008, 01:27 PM
du bb1,

Exactly, and then guys like dukefan wonder why people dislike Duke. Doc

JStuart
03-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Difficult for me to get on this Davidson bandwagon. A guy I knew in grad school told me that every kid at Davidson hates Duke. This guy was from Connecticut, went to Davidson, pulled for UConn, and said the most mean-spirited, offensive things, not just about Duke basketball, but also the school itself. I was told by him that Duke-hating was standard practice on the Davidson campus. Maybe he was embellishing, and it was just his group of friends that were so anti-Duke. Thinking backs to my days in section 19, however, the Davidson visiting section always was pretty obnoxious.

Talk about first-hand knowledge!
Davidson grads populate the Duke and UNC grad achools on a roughly equal basis (or at least they apply to both!) and all of my classmates who went on to graduate from the light blue place have remained polite and decent UNC fans, unlike many I run into in Durham on a daily basis. Believe me, they woulda loved a win over UNC last December (only lost by 4) as much as over Duke.
JStuart, Davidson '72, and Duke Med, '76, HS '81

Highlander
03-27-2008, 04:36 PM
reminds me of WFU in the Orange Bowl. A Wake alumnist told me that something like 70% of all their living alumni were at the game.

And Davidson's smaller than Wake.

Granted you can get a ton more people into a football game than to a regional semifinal.

weezie
03-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Welcome aboard Dr Hook and dubbby1! We love hearing that we aren't considered the sum of all evil over here and that no one really cares about us!

Good luck this weekend!

blazindw
03-27-2008, 05:07 PM
reminds me of WFU in the Orange Bowl. A Wake alumnist told me that something like 70% of all their living alumni were at the game.

And Davidson's smaller than Wake.

Granted you can get a ton more people into a football game than to a regional semifinal.

Normally, this is true...however Davidson's playing in the Midwest Regional, which is at Ford Field in Detroit. Unlike other football stadiums used for basketball regionals, they do not set the court in one endzone and put grandstands along that baseline to restrict attendance...the court is set in the middle of the field along the 50 yard line and grandstands placed all around it covering the field until it reaches the real seats. This is the site where the largest crowd to watch a basketball game gathered (78,129 watched Michigan Snake and Kentucky in December 2003).

The announced capacity for this year's regional games is about 73,000. And, as of Monday, there were about 15,000 tickets still available, and MSU fans who had purchased tickets thinking that they would be able to watch their team there are now having trouble reselling the tickets for that very reason.

merry
03-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Most of the Duke hating at Davidson comes from the UNC fans...

I was going to speculate the same thing. I have a friend from Maryland whose son went to Elon a few years back and he (the son) said a lot of his classmates were UNC fans and some were Duke fans so there was a microcosm of the whole UNC-Duke thing going on there.

Just about every time we've played Davidson at home (every other year for a while now) I see people with t-shirts they've made that are half Davidson half Duke. One time I talked to some of these folks and they said they were Davidson students but grew up rooting for Duke. Wish I had one of those shirts today!

Black Mambo
03-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Sorry, not for you, unless you go to Davidson

Think Duke would ever do something like this...yeah right...not even 25 yrs ago...http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/specials/ncaa_tourney/2008/03/27/bc.bkc.ncaa.davidson.free.ap/index.html?eref=si_topstories

Mambo

DukeDevil
03-28-2008, 08:44 AM
hmm...perhaps that's the "advantage of a small student body."

Indoor66
03-28-2008, 10:12 AM
hmm...perhaps that's the "advantage of a small student body."

Yeah - 1700 students - total. From the Davidson web site:

"Davidson College is a liberal arts institution founded in 1837 by ministers of the Concord Presbytery. Its 1,700 students come from almost every state in the nation and many foreign countries. A highly selective admission process brings students who are proven scholars and leaders to a close campus community in the small town of Davidson, North Carolina."

ClosetHurleyFan
03-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Just more in state envy. Not everyone can get into Duke. It comes with the territory.

Hmm...I have heard many speculate that you get a far superior undergrad education at Davidson than any other school in the state of NC. IN fact, when in law school at UNC with both Duke, Carolina and Davidson grads, very common for the Davidson grads to be the best legal writers of the bunch. I doubt its really a case of envy. Its a fantastic school.

If you look at admission standards, they are extremely selective, although they really compete with other similarly sized liberal arts schools, Amherst, etc....

I once heard that Davidson's grads hold more CEO positions of NC companies than any other school in the state. Very interesting.....

glutton
03-28-2008, 05:20 PM
I doubt its really a case of envy. Its a fantastic school.

I once heard that Davidson's grads hold more CEO positions of NC companies than any other school in the state. Very interesting.....

I'm not sure that second stat says much about Duke, since (as we're often reminded) the majority of the students are out-of-state, and usually don't stay here when they graduate. In fact, I'm getting out of here this summer, and dragging an NC-born Dukie with me :)

I wouldn't totally discount the "envy" explanation, because even though Davidson is a good school, it doesn't really get the recognition it probably deserves. So it may be more a matter of prestige and name recognition than quality. In other parts of the country, everyone knows about Duke, and most people know what a good school UNC is... but a lot haven't even heard of Davidson.

doctorhook
03-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Glutton,

Your comments have some validity, but the point is that the vast majority of Davidson students are not envious of the "prestige" you described. To the contrary, Davidson kids are mostly quite happy knowing the value of the school they attend. Doc

DevilAlumna
03-28-2008, 07:09 PM
very common for the Davidson grads to be the best legal writers of the bunch. I doubt its really a case of envy. Its a fantastic school.

Not surprised by this -- when I worked for a news organization covering Congress in DC, Davidson grads were up and down the editorial chain -- great writers and editors.

And really nice people to boot. Most of the grads I knew chose to go to Davidson for specific reasons -- it was most definitely NOT a case of not getting in elsewhere. (I know, hard to believe that Duke isn't first choice for everyone for undergrad... :rolleyes:)

But I still mocked them for just wanting to go there for the free laundry service. :p

mgtr
03-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Having spent a significant amount of time in the academic community in the Carolinas, I have believed for a long time that Davidson is the best undergrad school in the south. There are other great schools -- Duke and Furman are right up there -- but what other school has "MGs on the Green?"

BCGroup
03-29-2008, 07:27 PM
"Davidson College is sending an additional 200 students to Detroit Sunday morning to see the school's basketball team play for a trip to the Final Four for free.More than 350 students have already made the trip, but 200 more are expected to board buses at 3 a.m. Sunday to see the Wildcats take on Kansas at Ford Field at 5 p.m. "

http://www.charlotte.com/wildcats/story/558073.html