PDA

View Full Version : The Official DBR Quiz

Jumbo
03-26-2008, 09:25 AM
OK boys and girls. Chill out, kick back and prepare for immense quantities of fun. To lighten the mood and provide a different topic of conversation, I present the first-ever Official DBR Quiz. To the winner goes a very, very special prize. Read on.
First, the rules.
1) Answer the questions in this thread, but do it in white. That way, no one can read your answers without highlighting. More on that in a second, but you can change the font color by clicking on the "quote" as a reply to this message or "going advanced" off a quick reply, then clicking on the A (to the right of "sizes") and changing the color.
2) Don't cheat by highlighting other answers. You're only cheating yourself. (Well, and everyone else.) And being really lame.
3) The person who answers the most questions correctly wins the super-duper prize. If there is a tie ... well ... I haven't figured out how to break a tie, yet.
4) What is the prize? Glad you asked. The winner gets to ... moderate me for a day! That's right. You can send me on an all-expense made trip to "you-own-me-ville!" Force me to delete or edit anything I post -- I am yours. Do with me as you please. (But be gentle; I am delicate.)
PM me with any comments, questions or jokes about Jason Evans.
Are you ready? Good. Sharpen those #2 pencils and let's get started!

1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject?
2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report?
3) What was the visual background on the original site?
4a) What does "GGLC" stand for?
4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase?
5) Where does Jason Evans work?
6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)?
7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son?
7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread?
7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded?
8) Complete the phrase according to the famous thread title. "[Blank]
Can't Play."
9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names?
10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR?
11) What two posters talked forever about a trek to see a Duke game
that never materialized?
12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb?
13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)?
14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001?
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread?
16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance?
17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era?
18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD?
18b) Was his application serious or a joke?
19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams
20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR?
21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up?
22) Who beats himself?
23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board?
24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?"
25) What is the title of the traditional thread started in advance of
a Duke-Carolina game?
26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard
27) Where is UNC located?
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to?
29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software?
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?

Lid
03-26-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm a long-time lurker (main page, not always the boards) and infrequent poster. Thought I'd try my hand to make the point that not everyone who doesn't have a high post count is ignorant of how the site works! This was fun.

1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject? BBQ (and how much better Eastern NC bbq is -- my bias!)
2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? juliovision
3) What was the visual background on the original site? parquet
4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? no idea
4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? no idea
5) Where does Jason Evans work? CNN
6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? It's over?
7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? JWon't?
7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? no idea, but sucks to be him/her!
7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? DevilMomma
Can't Play." Marty?
9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? Julian and Mike
10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR? Don't know, but I'm curious
that never materialized? no idea
12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? McGrupp method (extra points if I know him personally?)
13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer homor)? Klemnop
14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? It's over
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? How we beat [victim]
16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? Nick Horvath
17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? Don't know, but I've definitely read his quick responses...
18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? no idea
18b) Was his application serious or a joke? I'll go with serious!
19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams C
20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? (A: Stray Gator) Stray Gator
21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? Hmmm, don't know but feel like I should
22) Who beats himself? Ademola Okulaja
23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? 100? 200? Have they stopped yet?
24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" don't know... was Avery involved?
a Duke-Carolina game?Status Check!
26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard The phalanx
27) Where is UNC located? Hell!
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? Sam the Eagle
29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? Kentucky?
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? Duh -- Patrick Davidson

Bluedawg
03-26-2008, 10:00 AM
BBQ

Does he work?

6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)?
7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son?
Can't Play."

You mean that is not their real names???

that never materialized?
12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb?
13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)?
the word "he" means I really don't care!!!

14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001?
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread?
16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance?
Jason Evans?

17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era?
19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams
22) Who beats himself?
a Duke-Carolina game?
26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard
in the "dark side"

29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software?

We have verification software?

30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?

Highlander
03-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Bar-B-Q
juliovision
can't remember. Julio's cat was on the main page. Was it an orange basketball?
CNN - Hotlanta
Next Football Coach Search
What's wrong with Jason?
Jason Evans?
DevilMomma
Can't Play."
Shane?
Jules and Mike?
that never materialized?
The McGrupp Method
Klemnop. if Clemson beats UNC in Chapel Hill
"It's Over"
How we beat XXX
Nick Horvath
And Bill Werber served the beer.
Former Duke Athlete?
Serious I'm sure
C) G-Man (at least to my knowledge)
James
Kris Lang?
22) Who beats himself?
Ademola Okulaja beats himself <clap clap>
over 50
Brand, Avery, Maggette
a Duke-Carolina game?
Status Check
I should know this, but can't remember
Hell
Sam the Eagle from "The Muppet Show"
Kentucky?
Patrick Davidson

riverside6
03-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Answers beneath the questions in White (as requested)

BBQ
juliovision.com
basketball floor
going giddy losing control
shane battier committing to duke
CNN
It's Over
??
feldspar
devilmomma
Can't Play."
Shavlik
Thomas, JD
Nate James
that never materialized?
Jumbo and TieGuy
??
Klemnop
It's Over
How to beat XYZ
Chris Duhon
?
Feldspar
serious
Mike Gminski
Feldspar
Serge Zwikker
22) Who beats himself?
Ademola Okulaja
??
Raymond Felton, Sean May, Rashad McCants
a Duke-Carolina game?
Status Check
??
Hell
Sam the Eagle - Muppets
UNC
Patrick Davidson

MulletMan
03-26-2008, 10:19 AM
So I'm not going to answer these, as I already have the power to moderate Jumbo, but I think Jumboe did a really nice job with this, and hopefully once the quiz is graded we can enlighten folks to the stories behind the answers that they don't know!

Well done, Jumbo. (And yes, that will be the last public comment you recieve from me!)

billybreen
03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Quite a few of these slightly predate my time here, so there are some stabs in the dark.

1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject? BBQ
2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? juliovision.com
3) What was the visual background on the original site? parquet basketball court
4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? getting giddy, losing control
4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? the avery, battier, brand, burgess recruiting class? that's a stab in the dark
5) Where does Jason Evans work? cnn
6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? new site or old? new site is 'reading the tea leaves on PP.' old may have been the 'who am I?' thread, but you were probably too busy being banned at the time to notice
7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? something about 1) jason williams going pro or 2) students at BC planning to kill jason williams
7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? jumbo. This isn't the SATs -- I'm not penalized for wrong answers.
7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? devilmomma
Can't Play." Marty
9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? mike and julian
10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR? grant hill
that never materialized? ham salad and sun tzu
12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? mcgrupp's never fail uber ticket winning scheme?
13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? klemnop
14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? it's over
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? How we beat [blah]
16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? Nick Horvath
18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? al featherston
18b) Was his application serious or a joke? serious
19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams C
20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? Pretty sure this was Stray Gator
21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? brendan haywood
23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? What's the unicode symbol for infinity?
24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" this was before my time, but i think it was the first group of players to leave early (so, brand, avery, and maggette
a Duke-Carolina game? status check
26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard 4 fat guys phalanx and throaty
27) Where is UNC located? hell
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? sam the eagle
29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? uva. That's just a guess based on their performance over at snrub.
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? patrick davidson

monkey
03-26-2008, 10:33 AM
1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject?BBQ of course
2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? www.juliovision.com
3) What was the visual background on the original site? ehh...memory bad but I'm pretty sure it was a basketball court
4a) What does "GGLC" stand for?Getting Giddy Losing Control
4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase?Think it was excitement regarding the Jason Williams, Boozer, Dunleavy recruiting class
5) Where does Jason Evans work?Lol - is this a trick question? I think technically, it's CNN.
6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)?I think it was "Who am I" - basically all the posters telling their life stories
7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son?Something like "Jason Williams Overrated"?
7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread?Clearly Jumbo
7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded?Devil Momma
Can't Play."Nate James
9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names?Used to know this ... but didn't they both have their first and middle names legally changed to Patrick Davidson a few years back
10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR?Lee M.?
that never materialized?Carlos and Throatybeard
12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb?I believe the technical term is "begging"
13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? Klemnop
14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001?It's Over
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread?It's Over
16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance?Nick Horvath
18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD?Tom Butters
18b) Was his application serious or a joke?Serious
19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea WilliamsGminski - Battier posted after winning favorite Dukie aware. Bilas posts from time to time. J Will's mom used to post on a semi-regular basis while he was here
20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? Julio
21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up?Kris Lang
22) Who beats himself?Adelma Okulaja
24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?"Brand, Avery and Maggette, after they became the first Duke players to leave early for the NBA draft
a Duke-Carolina game?Status Check
26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and ThroatybeardThree guys that have never been in my mom's kitchen?
27) Where is UNC located?Let's see ...it's warm and toasty ...there's a guy dressed in red with horns ... smells like brimstone... Gotta be Chapel Hell
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to?Sam the Eagle
29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software?Hmmm... Kentucky?
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?[/QUOTE]Lol - if you hadn't said "former" player, I would have guessed Marty. I'll go with Patrick Davidson, though Jay Heaps could probably do all those things as well

merry
03-26-2008, 10:34 AM
2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? www.juliovision.com
3) What was the visual background on the original site? parquet floor
4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? getting giddy losing control
4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? recruitment of the JWill/Boozer/Dunleavy/Horvath/Sanders/Buckner class
6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? Bush Mispronounces Battier
7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? I'm Disappointed in Jason Williams
7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? can't remember her name, darn it!
7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? Devil Momma
Can't Play." Nate James
9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? Mike and Julian (or Darryl is his real first name maybe?)
10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR? Carlos Boozer
that never materialized? ..ahhh…can't remember at all!
12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? The McGrupp Method
13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? Klemnop
14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? It's Over
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? How We Beat (whoever)
16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? Horvath
17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? And Bill Werber Served the Beer
18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? Ozzie4Duke
18b) Was his application serious or a joke? Depends on who you ask ;-)
19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams Gminski (as far as I know…I know the others all did)
20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? Stray Gator
21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? Orlando Melendez
23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? 15 (I have no idea…did we count?)
24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" Brand, Avery & Maggette
a Duke-Carolina game? Status Check
26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard the Phalanx
27) Where is UNC located? Hell
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? Muppet Sam the Eagle
29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? UNC
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? Patrick Davidson

gw67
03-26-2008, 10:38 AM
I can barely remember to take the trash out on Tuesday night so my performance is lacking. I am proud that I knew 21), I think.

barbeque
juliovision
Parquet floor (Boston Garden)
CNN
Devil momma (JWill’s mom
Can't Play."
Nate James
Julian, Mike(?)
that never materialized?
Duketaylor, Colchar(?)
Klemnop
How to defeat (….)
Nick Horvath
Duketaylor18b) Was his application serious or a joke?
Giminski?
Boswell
Brian Bersticker
22) Who beats himself?
infinite
Brand, Avery and Maggette
a Duke-Carolina game?
Maryland?

pamtar
03-26-2008, 11:04 AM
OK, I'm lame. I would get like a 5/30 but I'm really enjoying all this trivia!

pfrduke
03-26-2008, 11:13 AM
2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? juliovision
3) What was the visual background on the original site? no idea
5) Where does Jason Evans work? CNN, in Atlanta
7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? DevilMomma
Can't Play." Marty
9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? Mike and Julian
that never materialized?
12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? McGrupp Method
14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? It's Over
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? How we beat ___
16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? Nick Horvath (and he was legendary over the summer!)
17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? and Bill Werber served the beer?
18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? formerdukeathlete
18b) Was his application serious or a joke? both
21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? The 'Stick
23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? How many tea leaves are there in China?
a Duke-Carolina game? Status Check!
26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard phalanx
27) Where is UNC located? Chapel Hell
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? Sam the Eagle
29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? UVA?
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? Patrick Davidson

CameronBlue
03-26-2008, 11:44 AM
B-B-Q and bare-footed women
Juliovision
Wood
Getting Giddy, Losing Control
Coffee and/or the onset of basketball season
CNN Rumor Room but he's been flooding Fox News with applications recently
Haven't a clue but it probably contained nothing but JE posts
Althea Williams?
DevilMomma
Can't Play."
Nate James
I don't know but I've been to their houses to pick up tickets for the Georgetown game so I should get half credit
Carlos Boozer's?
that never materialized?
McGrupp Method
Klemnop. We're very disappointed in you Klem. Just another saggy butt in Chapel Hill would blend in quite nicely
"It's Over"
Carmen Wallace
It's not Screaming Howler Panic Monkeys but that would've been a good question for this list.
Tieguy?
You can never be sure with Tieguy
G-Man, even by Duke fans' standards he's an elitist
Which one didn't he? Salvadori?
22) Who beats himself?
Ademola Okulajah and I hear he's undefeated
Battier, Williams and Carrawell
a Duke-Carolina game?
It's <insert time> and Carolina can still go to Hell
The Three Musketeers?
In Hell
Beaker I think, one of the Muppets anyway
Barbara Streisand's
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?[/QUOTE]
Kenny Dennard?

colchar
03-26-2008, 11:54 AM
I'll take a stab at some of these but am not really interested in the przie should I win. After all, claiming the prize would involve having to read everything Jumbo posted throughout the course of a day and I'm not sure I could deal with that.

BBQ

juliovision.com

Basketball court

Getting Giddy Losing Control

Battier's recruiting class

He doesn't - but he is employed by CNN

Bush Mispronounces Battier

Jason Williams is Overrated

Feldspar?

Devil Momma

Can't Play."
Shav

Julian and Mike

Grant's?

that never materialized?
Me (Colchar) and DanfromNY (whatever happened to Dan anyway? Haven't seen or heard from him in ages.)

The McGrupp Method

Wheat

It's Over

How We Beat (insert opponent here)

Horvath's

And Bill Werber Served the Beer

Duketaylor

Probably serious

C) Mike Gminski

Boswell

Brian Bersticker

22) Who beats himself?
Ademola Okulaja

Too many to count but let's call it 50(ish)

Brand, Maggette, Avery

a Duke-Carolina game?
Status Check

26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard?
The Phalanx

The depths of hell

The eagle character from The Muppets

Carolina?

Patrick Davidson

Duvall
03-26-2008, 12:05 PM
1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject?Barbeque
2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report?I think you're looking for juliovision, but I think the answer might be prodigy. Before my time, though.
3) What was the visual background on the original site?parquet floor
4a) What does "GGLC" stand for?Getting Giddy, Losing Control
4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase?The recruitment of Avery, Brand, Battier and the crown jewel, Chris Burgess
5) Where does Jason Evans work?Trick question - the answer is that he spend all his time posting. He is, however, employed by CNN.
6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)?"Bush Misprounces Battier"? In retrospect, we should have been more concerned about that lack of attention to detail.
Can't Play."Nate James
9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names?Michael and Julian
that never materialized?
12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb?McGrupp Method
13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)?Hang naked from the sundial, as I recall. Klemnop.
14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001?It's over.
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread?"How we beat [x]"
16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance?Nick Horvath
17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era?"And Grant Hill poured the beer."
18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD?Ozzie
18b) Was his application serious or a joke?Serious!
19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea WilliamsC
21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up?The unforgettable Brian Bersticker
22) Who beats himself?Ademola Okulaja
23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board?Billions and billions.
24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?"Brand, Avery and Maggette
a Duke-Carolina game?Status check
26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and ThroatybeardThe Four Fat Guy Phalanx
27) Where is UNC located?In Hell
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to?Sam the Eagle
29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software?Kentucky
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?Patrick Davidson

Johnboy
03-26-2008, 12:10 PM
1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject? Barbecue
3) What was the visual background on the original site? parquet floor
4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? grinning, giddy, losing control
4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? the recruitment of the Boozer/Williams, etc. class
6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)?Bush Mispronounces Battier
7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son?I'm Disappointed in Jason Williams
7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? DUNNO
Can't Play."
9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names?Mike and Julian
that never materialized?
12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb?the McGrupp method
13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)?Klemnop
14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001?It's Over
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread?"How we Beat [Name of Opponent]"
17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era?... and Bill Werber served the beer.
18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD?Ozzie
18b) Was his application serious or a joke?Joke
19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea WilliamsC
21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up?Brian Bersticker
22) Who beats himself?Ademola Okulaja
24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?"Brand, Avery and Magette
26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and ThroatybeardPhalanx
27) Where is UNC located?Hell, Chapel Hell, or Chappaheeya
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to?Sam the Eagle Muppet
29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software?Kentucky
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?patrick Davidson

[/QUOTE]

mkirsh
03-26-2008, 12:24 PM
BBQ
Juliovision
basketball hardwood floor?
don't know
don't know
CNN
don't know
don't know
don't know
Devilmomma
Can't Play."
don't know
don't know
don't know
that never materialized?
don't know
don't know
Klemnop
It's Over
How We Beat ___
Nick Horvath. Best shooter on the team
Sreaming Howler Panic Monkeys
don't know
don't know
G-Man
don't know
Kris Lang?
22) Who beats himself?
Ademola Okulaja
don't know
Brand, Avery, Maggette
a Duke-Carolina game?
Status Check!
Phalynx
Hell
Sam the Eagle
UNC?
Patrick Davidson

Susan
03-26-2008, 12:40 PM
I also don't need to "moderate" if by some strange chance I win this... As a DBR reader from the beginning--but not a frequent one for the past few years thanks mainly to being home full time with the kids (no more lurking while at work!) we'll see what I can do -- maybe half of them?

Barbecue

juliovision.com

3) What was the visual background on the original site? Oh gosh, I don't know

4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? G???? Giddy Losing Control?

4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? ?

CNN

6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? yikes-- i forget

7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? ?

7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? ?

7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? I remember Jason Williams' mom posting -- but I don't remember the thread. Was it someone else? And I don't remember her screen name.

Can't Play." Easy --- NATE JAMES

Mike and Julian

Boozer?

that never materialized? ?

12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? ?

14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? ?

15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? Let me guess -- something to do with Chi?

16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? I don't know--Ricky Price?

17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? ?

18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? ?

18b) Was his application serious or a joke? ?

Mike Gminski? I know Bilas and Althea Williams did...

20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? ?

21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? ?

22) Who beats himself? Makhtar!!!
-- OH GEEZ -- I just looked. OKULAJA -- I should beat myself for forgetting that! But Mahktar probably beats himself too.

Random guess -- 20?

24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" Avery, Brand and Maggette

a Duke-Carolina game? Go to Hell Carolina?

26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard ?

27) Where is UNC located? Chappa Heeya

28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? ?

29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? UNC?

Well, that has to be GOD -- Johnny Dawkins...

colchar
03-26-2008, 12:56 PM
When are you posting the answers anyway? I know I missed some and its bugging me not being able to remember the real answers.

tbyers11
03-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Barbecue
juliovision
Parquet-style basketball floor
going giddy losing control
Don't remember. Was it thinking about how awesome the Brand, Battier, Burgess, Avery recruiting class was?
CNN. Hopefully his office window wasn't knocked out by the tornado
Don't know
Don't remember but it was about Jason Williams
Don't know
Devil Momma
Can't Play."
Nate James
Mike and Julian
Trajan Langdon?
that never materialized?
Don't know
McGrupp Method
Klemnop
It's Over
How we beat [insert upcoming opponent name here]
Nick Horvath
Don't remember
Don't know
Serious?
C) Mike Gminski
Stray Gator, and I knew that one without Jumbo's since edited big hint
Kris Lang. If I am wrong may I be forced to eat a Carolina blue-colored key lime pie. Give me that pie b/c I can't believe that I forgot it was Brian Bersticker
22) Who beats himself?
Ade-mola Oku-laja, Ade-mola Oku-laja, Ade-mola Oku-laja beats himself
Avery, Maggette, and Brand.
a Duke-Carolina game?
Status Check
The Phalanx
8 miles from heaven or in the fiery bowels of Hades take your pick
Sam the Eagle from the Muppets
Kentucky, I was shocked that they knew how to use the Internet in 1996
Patrick Davidson

dynastydefender
03-26-2008, 03:13 PM
What is the Answer to #1? :)

Exiled_Devil
03-26-2008, 04:19 PM
BBQ
juliovision
3) What was the visual background on the original site? some horrible color?
4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? I am at a loss
7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? Jwon't
7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? fiasco?
7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? Devilmomma
Can't Play." Casey?
9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? James and Brian?
10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR? hurley?
that never materialized?
12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? McGrupp method
13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? No idea
14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? It's over
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? It's over?
16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? Horvath
17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? don't know
18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? Stray Gator
18b) Was his application serious or a joke? joke
19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams GMan
20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? Stray Gator?
21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? Haywood
22) Who beats himself? some Okalaja
23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? 5
24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" assistant coaches dawkins, collins and amaker
a Duke-Carolina game? status check
26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard phalanx
27) Where is UNC located? Hell
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to?sam the eagle
29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? Kentucky
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? Patrick Davidson is the answer to all questions.

I'm guessing I got about an 80-85...I only came on board around 1999. Some of the relational thing sfrom early on was not on my radar.

Clipsfan
03-26-2008, 04:40 PM
I've been around long enough that I think I got 12 or 13 (so many players have been called the next coming of Jordan at practice/summer pickup that it's hard to narrow it to just one) but not quite long enough to know the original web address for DBR.

Good questions!

micah75
03-26-2008, 05:20 PM
7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? Sarah?

I don't want to win, (don't want to moderate anybody), so I'm just going to make a wild guess at one of the questions, hyuk, hyuk, hyuk.

dyedwab
03-26-2008, 06:30 PM
BBQ

2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? juliovision.com

Parquet floor

Getting Giddy Losing Control - coined by Jason Evans

The Boozer/Wiliams recruiting class

CNN

Bush mispronounces Battier

I am disappointed in Jason Williams

Dont remember

devilmomma

Can't Play."
Nate James

julio is Julian King - don't know Boswell

Carlos Boozer?

that never materialized?
colchar and duketaylor

the McGrupp method

Klemnop

It's Over

How we beat (Name of Team)

Nick Horvath

And Bill Werber served the beer

Ozzie?

If It was Ozzie, I'd want it to be serious

Mike Gminski

Stray Gator

4-time All-American Brian Bersticker

22) Who beats himself?
A-de-mo-la O-ka-lo-ja beat himself clap clap

At least a million

Avery/Brand/Magette

a Duke-Carolina game?
Status Check

Don't remember

the bowels of hell

From the Muppets, Sam the Eagle

Kentucky fans - that happened just before I discovered this board

Patrick Davidson, of course

RelativeWays
03-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Where to go get barbeque
2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? no idea
3) What was the visual background on the original site? black?
4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? no idea
4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? ditto
5) Where does Jason Evans work? I know he has mentioned this but I can't remember
6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? Duke Hatred Tsunami is pretty long
7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? Back off you wierdos! Or WIIIIIZZAAARD!
7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? Mrs Randolph
Can't Play."
9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? Boswell and Julio...why not
that never materialized?
12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? stab and grab.
13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? Feldspar?
14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? ITS OVER!
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? To beat...whoever it was we played in the 1st round
16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? errr Daniel Ewing
17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? nincompoops
18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? gotta be throaty
18b) Was his application serious or a joke? probably both
19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams The G man
20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? loopy maybe?
21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? Kris Lang
22) Who beats himself? pass
23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? 37
24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" J Will, Dunleavy and Boozer (I'm guessing)
a Duke-Carolina game? Status Check
27) Where is UNC located? outer Mongolia. Lots of sheep there
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? Christopher Lee's version of Dracula?
29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? UMD
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?NATE JAMES (yelled like MIKE JONES!)

I'm still a baby here

socaldukie
03-26-2008, 07:39 PM
2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report?juliovision.com
3) What was the visual background on the original site? parquet floor4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? Getting giddy, losing control4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? Jay wills' recruiting class (booze, Dunleavy et al)
5) Where does Jason Evans work? cnn-atlanta
6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? Duke LAX
7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? I am dissappointed in Jason Williams
7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? no clue7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? devilmomma8) Complete the phrase according to the famous thread title. "[Blank]
Can't Play." The bad pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! himself --NATE JAMES
9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? Julian and Mike10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR? Boozer??11) What two posters talked forever about a trek to see a Duke game
that never materialized? no clue12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? McGrupp method
13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? klemnop (when clemson beats UNC in CH
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? How do we beat...
16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? I'll say Horvath. but could have been SHAV17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? don't recall
18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? Ozzie4duke
18b) Was his application serious or a joke? yes19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams Gotta be C) the G Man
21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? Haywood??22) Who beats himself? Okulaja23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board?
24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" Avery, Brand, Maggette25) What is the title of the traditional thread started in advance of
a Duke-Carolina game? Status check
26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard ???
27) Where is UNC located? Chapel Hell
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? Sam the eagle
29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? Kintucky30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? patrick Davidson

ArkieDukie
03-26-2008, 08:40 PM
1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject? barbecue
2) What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report?Juliovision
3) What was the visual background on the original site?solid black? I can't remember!
6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)?I think it was about Patrick Patterson, but I can't remember the title.
Can't Play."
10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR? Jason Williams?
that never materialized?
14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001?It's over
18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? Ozzie?
19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams Mike Gminski?
22) Who beats himself?Ademola Okaluja (SP?)
24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?"Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Will Avery
27) Where is UNC located?chapel hell
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to?Sam the Eagle from the Muppet Show
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?The Man, the Myth, the Legend: Patrick Davidson![/quote]

I didn't know the answer to several of these.

wisteria
03-26-2008, 09:33 PM
I cheated. I read everyone's answers.

DBR is cool!!!

bjornolf
03-27-2008, 06:20 AM
3) What was the visual background on the original site? parquet...butter! get it? ;)
4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? Getting Giddy, Losing Control
4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? the whole thing about getting JWill,Boozer,Dunleavy et al.
5) Where does Jason Evans work? CNN Atlanta
6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? Not sure, a BBQ thread?
7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? I'm Disappointed in Jason Williams
7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? no idea
7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? Devil Momma
Can't Play." Nate
9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? Mike and Julian?
10) What player's father was an original poster on DBR? Carlos Boozer
that never materialized? no idea
12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? The McGrupp Method
13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? Klemnop...and good luck to him...
14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001? Probably something like "It's Over"
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? How We Beat Them
17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? Bill Werber served the beer?
18a) Which DBR poster applied to be Duke's AD? Ozzie4Duke I think
18b) Was his application serious or a joke? I think he says it was serious...
19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea Williams I'm gonna guess Gminski just by age...
20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? Stray Gator maybe?
21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? Melendez?
22) Who beats himself? Even I know this one! Ademola Okulaja beats himself!
23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? Craploads...
24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" The first three to leave early. EB WA CM
a Duke-Carolina game? Status Check, duh...
26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard phalanx?
27) Where is UNC located? Chapel Hill, I mean Hell!
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? Oh, my favorite, Sam the Eagle! The white hair with the eyebrows!
29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? Carolina, of course. It was before Maryland became such a threat to our well-being...
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? My man, PD

bjornolf
03-27-2008, 06:21 AM
And when do we get the answers!

Jumbo
03-27-2008, 12:40 PM
And when do we get the answers!

We'll play it by ear. I'd like to give people time to participate. When the well runs dry for a couple of days, we'll close the contest.

JasonEvans
03-27-2008, 12:51 PM
I am pretty sure I know all the answers, which is just plain sad, but what is really sad is that from what I have seen so far, the two questions that everyone have gotten right are what Duke vs. Kentucky means and where I work. I am pathetic.

Oh, and unless I missed it no one has yet gotten the author of the thread that a player's mother felt so strongly about that she had to respond. I am intrigued at that because lots of folks seem to recall the thread and the person who started it really took a tongue lashing for starting it.

I agree that when Jumbo posts the answers, a bunch of us "old timers" should chime in to explain the background and stories behind many of these DBR traditions.

For example, does anyone know who started the first Duke vs. Kentucky thread and why he chose that name for it? Mods, any of you know that answer?

--Jason "I know Jumbo put a lot of work into this and it is a fun trip down memory lane" Evans

JasonEvans
03-27-2008, 12:53 PM
It just occurred to me that if I were to answer all of them then I COULD MODERATE JUMBO FOR A DAY!!

Jumbo, is this true or am I DQ'd from this contest?

-Jason "I am confident Throaty could get all of them too, and probably Carlos and a few other folks as well" Evans

allenmurray
03-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Jumbo, thank you for doing this!

throatybeard
03-27-2008, 01:44 PM
The only one I didn't get is 29, at least according to Jumbo's answers.

Jumbo
03-27-2008, 01:57 PM
It just occurred to me that if I were to answer all of them then I COULD MODERATE JUMBO FOR A DAY!!

Jumbo, is this true or am I DQ'd from this contest?

-Jason "I am confident Throaty could get all of them too, and probably Carlos and a few other folks as well" Evans

Yeah, all the mods are dq'd.

Jumbo
03-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Jumbo, thank you for doing this!

No problem! I hope we can do similarly light-hearted things throughout the offseason.

ugadevil
03-27-2008, 02:02 PM
I agree that when Jumbo posts the answers, a bunch of us "old timers" should chime in to explain the background and stories behind many of these DBR traditions.

This is a great idea. I'd say I knew half the answers on the quiz and haven't been around long enough to know the other questions. The stories behind the answers would be great to those of us that weren't around when they happened. It would cool to hear the stories, and also put some of us in on a lot of the inside jokes that occur. For instance, was there ever a time when Earljam started threads that weren't completely random?:D

billybreen
03-27-2008, 02:09 PM
So there's one that I knew but didn't answer due to oversight, the question about how Throaty whines about people whining about how much better things were in the past.

Jumbo
03-27-2008, 02:20 PM
This is a great idea. I'd say I knew half the answers on the quiz and haven't been around long enough to know the other questions. The stories behind the answers would be great to those of us that weren't around when they happened. It would cool to hear the stories, and also put some of us in on a lot of the inside jokes that occur. For instance, was there ever a time when Earljam started threads that weren't completely random?:D

EarlJam hasn't even been here that long!

wisteria
03-27-2008, 02:43 PM

:D This is hilarious. I actually went back for like 30 pages trying to find the threads started by EarlJam. Not many, but most of them are indeed random!
(I really have too much time on hand...)

EarlJam
03-27-2008, 03:39 PM

Oh yes I have. I used to post under another name back before the new board design.

I was a regular poster.

So THERE'S a little riddle for you to chew on and masticate!

Who was EarlJam before EarlJam was EarlJam?

-EarlJam

Also, I like trees.

EarlJam
03-27-2008, 03:41 PM
:D This is hilarious. I actually went back for like 30 pages trying to find the threads started by EarlJam. Not many, but most of them are indeed random!
(I really have too much time on hand...)

Remember, I spent the entire summer in a cast and on pain killers.

That explained a lot of the randomness then.

No comment about some of the current randomness.

Also, if sunsets were called "dry cracked feet," people would often say, "Wow, I love beautiful dry cracked feet!"

-EarlJamdoness

colchar
03-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Oh yes I have. I used to post under another name back before the new board design.

I was a regular poster.

-EarlJam

Really?!?

Jumbo
03-27-2008, 03:48 PM

I was a regular poster.

-EarlJam

Also, I like trees.

This is why I hate it when people change poster names. It's hard to keep track of online personalities when, you know, you don't go by the same name anymore! Who were you?

Johnboy
03-27-2008, 03:57 PM
For example, does anyone know who started the first Duke vs. Kentucky thread and why he chose that name for it? Mods, any of you know that answer?

I started that thread in response to Evans' post that commented on misleading thread titles or thread drift (I don't recall), using as an example clicking a thread entitled "Duke v. Kentucky" that turns out to be about barbecue.

billybreen
03-27-2008, 04:04 PM

I was a regular poster.

-EarlJam

Also, I like trees.

chris3duke, is that you?

wisteria
03-27-2008, 04:12 PM
whoever compared DBR to a local pub, was damn right. :D

Jumbo
03-27-2008, 04:23 PM
chris3duke, is that you?

Clearly not. He's not talking about the size of his TV constantly...

TillyGalore
03-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Clearly not. He's not talking about the size of his TV constantly...

Does EarlJam even have a TV? Seems like he's always watching games at a bar. ;)

EarlJam
03-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Does EarlJam even have a TV? Seems like he's always watching games at a bar. ;)

Great. So I'm random and I'm a drunk.

I'm a random drunk!

Time to re-invent EarlJam.

More later, but from this moment I will only be serious! I will be serious 100 percent of the time!

Seriously.

Okay, starting.............................NOW!

Oh, and I will never drink again!

Okay, starting.................................RIGHT NOW!

NOW!

-Mr. EarlJam

ugadevil
03-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Great. So I'm random and I'm a drunk.

I'm a random drunk!

Time to re-invent EarlJam.

Hey, you forgot "being terrible at fantasy baseball". For those of you who don't know, Earljam has joined the DBR Fantasy Baseball league and his team already resembles UVA from this season in basketball.

micah75
03-27-2008, 05:14 PM

I was a regular poster.

I had been wondering since I joined the new board if you were the old poster known as "Bacon." Bacon was a regular on the old boards with a great sense of humor and would sometimes surprise us with offbeat threads on the main board. Just a wild guess really. But since I haven't seen Bacon around in a while and well... just trying to put 2 and 2 together.

Jumbo
03-27-2008, 05:17 PM
I had been wondering since I joined the new board if you were the old poster known as "Bacon." Bacon was a regular on the old boards with a great sense of humor and would sometimes surprise us with offbeat threads on the main board. Just a wild guess really. But since I haven't seen Bacon around in a while and well... just trying to put 2 and 2 together.

I think you got it. Nice work!

EarlJam
03-27-2008, 05:36 PM

Yes. I am the poster formerly known as Bacon. But I DID use to get into real arguments on the old board, like with Biffman. I regret it and am a much more humble person these days, and am much slower to anger / lash out and call names. Where is that geezer Biffman anyway? Sorry. That was a joke and I am now serious, 100 percent of the time. And sober.

-Bacon

billybreen
03-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Yes. I am the poster formerly known as Bacon. But I DID use to get into real arguments on the old board, like with Biffman. I regret it and am a much more humble person these days, and am much slower to anger / lash out and call names. Where is that geezer Biffman anyway? Sorry. That was a joke and I am now serious, 100 percent of the time. And sober.

-Bacon

I feel so used.

bjornolf
03-27-2008, 05:57 PM
I remember Bacon. Boy, that takes me back. I definitely remember some of those arguments. Sweet. Bacon EarlJam! :p

bjornolf
03-27-2008, 06:20 PM
I was trying to remember the old DBR timeline. When was the old board [name redacted by mod -- QUIZ!!!] founded? When did it switch to DBR? I graduated Duke in 1997, and I think I found out about DBR either that basketball season or the next one (1998). I mostly read the boards and found out basketball news from it. I formally joined about a year later (I think that would make it either 1998 or 1999). I remember hearing about old board [name redacted by mod -- QUIZ!!!] a lot at that point, but I think it had already turned to DBR. I posted a LOT more in those first few years (before the switch in 2007, I was up near or over 1000 posts). When the switch happened, there was a lot of craziness going on in my life, so I missed it and my account was closed. One of our illustrious leaders told me I had to start a new account with a new email address, since they didn't take yahoo adresses anymore (or maybe that was even before the march '07 switch). Anyway, I've been around awhile, but I was never sure just when all this was started and when it became DBR. IOW, I don't know if I count as an old timer, or if this has been around since long before that. Please fill me in on that. I do remember the old background, though.

Jumbo
03-27-2008, 07:24 PM
I was trying to remember the old DBR timeline. When was the old board [name redacted by mod -- QUIZ!!!] founded? When did it switch to DBR? I graduated Duke in 1997, and I think I found out about DBR either that basketball season or the next one (1998). I mostly read the boards and found out basketball news from it. I formally joined about a year later (I think that would make it either 1998 or 1999). I remember hearing about old board [name redacted by mod -- QUIZ!!!] a lot at that point, but I think it had already turned to DBR. I posted a LOT more in those first few years (before the switch in 2007, I was up near or over 1000 posts). When the switch happened, there was a lot of craziness going on in my life, so I missed it and my account was closed. One of our illustrious leaders told me I had to start a new account with a new email address, since they didn't take yahoo adresses anymore (or maybe that was even before the march '07 switch). Anyway, I've been around awhile, but I was never sure just when all this was started and when it became DBR. IOW, I don't know if I count as an old timer, or if this has been around since long before that. Please fill me in on that. I do remember the old background, though.

What was your former poster name?

merry
03-27-2008, 10:00 PM

Darn you beat me to it, that was my guess. For some reason I remembered Bacon was living in Atlanta but was an Orioles fan...can there be only one?

bjornolf
03-28-2008, 06:48 AM
What was your former poster name?

Problem is, I'm not 100% sure. I just have trouble remember things like that. SO many sites require usernames, and I used to use a lot of different ones back then. I've tried to simplify since then. My signature used to have a big italic centered ...JoeBlue... My poster name was probably something related to bludvl97 if it wasn't bjornolf.

Probably my greatest contribution to the old board was a rather large and heated debate over catholicism a few years back. I remember it was a few hundred posts long. I think I was the only actively Roman Catholic poster who wanted any part of it, so it was rather stressful for me getting attacked on all fronts, but it was definitely interesting. I don't even remember how the thread got started. I came late to the party. I hadn't really paid attention to anything not related to Duke basketball at DBR until I saw the thread's title about the catholic church. I do remember that was where I started my habit of putting on my flame retardant suit and getting it zipped up at the end of my posts. :rolleyes: I know, cheesy.

Anyway, DBR has been such a big part of my internet life, but I don't really remember when I joined. I know I joined before I got married (Jan. 2001) and before I had kids, and unfortunately, kind of that whole time between my Duke graduation and my wedding is a little hazy as far as timeline goes. I was busy falling in love and all that stuff, planning weddings, finding new jobs, moving. ;) I'm pretty sure it was sometime between fall of 1998 and 2000, since I'm pretty sure I didn't discover it at Duke, and like I said, I read DBR for about a year before I officially started participating.

Anyway, I've always been curious about the history of DBR before I came along. :D Thanks for any help you can give, either with DBR history in general or with my history here. :o

billybreen
03-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Well, now we've rediscovered Bacon. Who was Eggs?

Bostondevil
03-28-2008, 11:09 AM
I know I used to post on the old boards under a different name but, like bjornolf, I don't remember what it was. I was an infrequent poster. And sometimes, when you had to enter the verification code, I'd get too lazy to do that and my posts would never make it to the actual board.

I do know that I started a fight once by trying to defend sociology majors using my old posting name.

JasonEvans
03-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Folks, these diversions are nice (EJ=Bacon... damn, I shoulda guessed at that one!!), but is there anyone else who wants to guess at the quiz questions?

-Jason

colchar
03-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Folks, these diversions are nice (EJ=Bacon... damn, I shoulda guessed at that one!!), but is there anyone else who wants to guess at the quiz questions?

-Jason

Not by the looks of it - maybe it is time the answers were revealed so that the associated stories can be told.

bjornolf
03-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Just a suggestion. Why don't we declare the quiz closed for purposes of winning the prize, but put the answers and stories in another thread so that people who want them can look, but people who want to try out their skills can still do so? That way, people can still take the quiz, but those of us who want the answers can get them.

Clipsfan
03-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Just a suggestion. Why don't we declare the quiz closed for purposes of winning the prize, but put the answers and stories in another thread so that people who want them can look, but people who want to try out their skills can still do so? That way, people can still take the quiz, but those of us who want the answers can get them.

The quiz itself is back at the very beginning of this thread, so if people start from the beginning they'll still be able to take it without looking at the answers. The quiz has probably been open long enough to give people a shot at it and I'm curious as to a couple of the answers that I don't know. So let's bring them :)

CameronBlue
03-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Probably my greatest contribution to the old board was a rather large and heated debate over catholicism a few years back. :o

Nope, not even close. This is your greatest contribution:

I was trying to remember the old DBR timeline. When was the old board [name redacted by mod -- QUIZ!!!] founded? When did it switch to DBR? I graduated Duke in 1997, and I think I found out about DBR either that basketball season or the next one (1998). I mostly read the boards and found out basketball news from it. I formally joined about a year later (I think that would make it either 1998 or 1999). I remember hearing about old board [name redacted by mod -- QUIZ!!!] a lot at that point.

That is freaking hilarious.

watzone
03-29-2008, 01:13 AM
1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject? Bar B Que
2What was the original host (domain name?) for the Duke Basketball Report? juliovision
3) What was the visual background on the original site? It was once black ... no that was later like 99 ish white?
4a) What does "GGLC" stand for? http://www.dircon.co.uk/gglc/ (http://www.dircon.co.uk/gglc/) - okay, not that:) Something giggly googly joyish something or other
4b) What prompted the coining of that phrase? Giddyness Winning the 2001 title?
6) What was the title of the longest thread in DBR history (well, prior to the one currently growing on the off-topic board for that purporse)? too many - something about introductions?
7a) What was the title of the thread that prompted the mother of a player to respond in defense of her son? Something about thugish behavior ... maybe Jason Williams is a dirty player - or close
7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? D .. Jumbo:)
7c) What was the screen name of the player's mother who responded? Althea ... well you gave this one away anyhwoo
8) Complete the phrase according to the famous thread title. "[Blank]It was a players name
Can't Play."
9) What are Boswell and Julio's real first names? Michael and I am not allowed to say
that never materialized? Was that as important as Devil Duck? What was Devil Duck? I shpuld get credit for Devil Duck rememberance
12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb? I never payed attention for I know better tricks;) Begging, homer???
13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)? throaty?
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread? You had to have started them
16) According to DBR lore, whose pick-up prowess (and summer exploits) were Jordan-esque compared to his in-season performance? Well, it could be Horvath, but me thinks it is Sanders ... no Domzalski
17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era? see 25 He was wrong though and he knows it now:)
18b) Was his application serious or a joke? A serious joke
20) Who coined the phrase "neighborhood pub" to describe DBR? Stray Gator
21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? Krissi Lang
22) Who beats himself? Huh????
23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board? within a thread or total threads? 8
24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?" Elton Brand, Corey Maggette and William Avery
a Duke-Carolina game? It's blank time and this and that and Carolina can go to hell (GTHC!)
26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and Throatybeard I should know this - it's throatys fault for I blaked him out for a year or so
27) Where is UNC located? Chapa Heeya
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to? Bert
29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software? Merryland
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger? Mr. Davidson, although a case could be made for BADASS Nate James

Jumbo
03-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Watzone,
WRITE IN WHITE!!!
Now I have to go back and edit all your answers. Grrr...

bjornolf
03-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Nope, not even close. This is your greatest contribution:

That is freaking hilarious.

Now I REALLY feel dumb! That is pretty funny though. I seriously doubt and hope that's NOT my greatest contribution to the board. Definitely my most unintentionally funny one. Sorry to jumbo and those wanting to take the quiz for giving away an answer. Ooops. :rolleyes:

the amoeba
03-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Since I can't find any response with a correct answer for this one.

7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? Katie. She had a dog named Cherokee

Lavabe
03-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Darn you beat me to it, that was my guess. For some reason I remembered Bacon was living in Atlanta but was an Orioles fan...can there be only one?

There IS only one Ejam/Bacon. But the question remains: what becometh of Biffman? And for that matter, what about EagleDevil?

Cheers,
Lavabe

devildeac
03-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Any thoughts given by the mods to making this a 'sticky' temporarily (a week or two?) so that we can get lots of looks/hits/entries on this thread. I want to complete the quiz but am trying to catch up on the main board and LOTS of work and home related items and can't devote the time to answering those great questions for at least another few days or so. Please...

throatybeard
03-31-2008, 11:48 PM
I always appreciated your posts about the RCC. It was clear that you really, really knew what you were talking about.

Problem is, I'm not 100&#37; sure. I just have trouble remember things like that. SO many sites require usernames, and I used to use a lot of different ones back then. I've tried to simplify since then. My signature used to have a big italic centered ...JoeBlue... My poster name was probably something related to bludvl97 if it wasn't bjornolf.

Probably my greatest contribution to the old board was a rather large and heated debate over catholicism a few years back. I remember it was a few hundred posts long. I think I was the only actively Roman Catholic poster who wanted any part of it, so it was rather stressful for me getting attacked on all fronts, but it was definitely interesting. I don't even remember how the thread got started. I came late to the party. I hadn't really paid attention to anything not related to Duke basketball at DBR until I saw the thread's title about the catholic church. I do remember that was where I started my habit of putting on my flame retardant suit and getting it zipped up at the end of my posts. :rolleyes: I know, cheesy.

Anyway, DBR has been such a big part of my internet life, but I don't really remember when I joined. I know I joined before I got married (Jan. 2001) and before I had kids, and unfortunately, kind of that whole time between my Duke graduation and my wedding is a little hazy as far as timeline goes. I was busy falling in love and all that stuff, planning weddings, finding new jobs, moving. ;) I'm pretty sure it was sometime between fall of 1998 and 2000, since I'm pretty sure I didn't discover it at Duke, and like I said, I read DBR for about a year before I officially started participating.

Anyway, I've always been curious about the history of DBR before I came along. :D Thanks for any help you can give, either with DBR history in general or with my history here. :o

OZZIE4DUKE
04-01-2008, 08:53 AM

EarlJam is a relatively new phenomenon on the board; I don't remember him with the old SBBS software, at least not as a significant poster, relevant or not ;) Bacon! Welcome back!

As would be expected, I got all but four of the answers right.

If we explained all the inside jokes, they wouldn't be inside jokes anymore! I guess that's OK, since all of you are insiders now. And it will be fun to read the stories and see how they have changed over the years.

billybreen
04-01-2008, 08:56 AM
EarlJam is a relatively new phenomenon on the board; I don't remember him with the old SBBS software, at least not as a significant poster, relevant or not ;)

As revealed elsewhere in the thread, EarlJam was once known as Bacon.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-01-2008, 09:09 AM
As revealed elsewhere in the thread, EarlJam was once known as Bacon.

As I acknowledged in my edit about 5 minutes after you posted! So much to read, so little time to do it.

ugadevil
04-01-2008, 11:47 AM
As I acknowledged in my edit about 5 minutes after you posted! So much to read, so little time to do it.

No way you can post something and have it go 5 minutes without BillyBreen having already reviewed it. Just not possible. ;)

billybreen
04-01-2008, 11:54 AM
No way you can post something and have it go 5 minutes without BillyBreen having already reviewed it. Just not possible. ;)

For the record, it took me 7 minutes to see this. You got lucky, punk. ;)

allenmurray
04-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Well, now we've rediscovered Bacon. Who was Eggs?

It was I, allenmurray. I used the name just a few times, trying to get Bacon to be my running mate for some office (or trying to get him to pick me as his running mate, I forget). As I recall, I extolled the virtues I could bring to the ticket, and why I would be far superior to other lesser candidates such as pancakes or french toast.

billybreen
04-01-2008, 12:52 PM
It was I, allenmurray. I used the name just a few times, trying to get Bacon to be my running mate for some office (or trying to get him to pick me as his running mate, I forget). As I recall, I extolled the virtues I could bring to the ticket, and why I would be far superior to other lesser candidates such as pancakes or french toast.

Ahh, another layer of the DBR onion peeled away!

The Gordog
04-01-2008, 02:24 PM
1) When a thread is entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky," what is the subject?BBQ

Hardwoods (basketball flooring)
5) Where does Jason Evans work?CNN
Can't Play."Nate James
that never materialized?
12) What is the name for the ticket acquisition technique that involves standing outside Cameron in Duke garb?The Throatybeard Method?
13) Which DBR poster has a standing promise to streak naked past the Morehead Planetarium if a certain unprecedented event occurs (which he now claims he can no longer honor)?Klemnop
14) What was the title of the famous thread that popped up after Carlos Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in 2001?It's over
15) During the run to the 2001 national title, a thread was started before each game for karmic purposes. What was the general title of that thread?How to beat [insert next opponent}
17) What is Throatybeard's favorite phrase used to describe fans who complain that the Crazies were so much better during their era?And Bill Werber Served The Beer
19) Which of the following people has never posted on DBR? A) Shane Battier B) Jay Bilas C) Mike Gminski D) Althea WilliamsG-man
22) Who beats himself?Ademola Okaladja
23) Roughly how many fights began over the creation of the off-topic board?1.5 million
24) Who did bitter fans nickname "The Three Amigo$?"Avery, Maggetti, Brand
a Duke-Carolina game?Status Check
26) What was the name of the group of DBR posters/grad students/Crazies that included Viking Guy, Mullet Man and ThroatybeardThe Phalynx
27) Where is UNC located?Chapel Hell
28) In a famous "Separated at Birth," who was Matt Doherty compared to?Oscar the Grouch?
29) Whose fans bombarded the very first DBR board, forcing Julio and Boswell to ask James to write the verification software?UNC
30) What former Duke player could beat any opponent one-on-five, steal their girlfriends and spin the opposing coach on one finger?Patrick Davidson

bjornolf
04-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I always appreciated your posts about the RCC. It was clear that you really, really knew what your talking about.

so somebody DOES remember me from the old days? Cool. Do you remember what my name was? Was it bludvl97 or something to that effect? Anyway, thanks for the compliment. I've always tried to at least sound like I knew what I was talking about. :rolleyes: That means a lot coming from you. There are a lot of people on this board I have admired over the years, and you were always one of them. In fact, I admire most of the people that are currently moderators. I remember fondly the day that I found out I was a moderator on the old board. Of course, I think I found out that same day that EVERYBODY was a moderator. That really took the wind out of my sails. I was always sad when I lost that power, even though I don't think I ever used it on anyone.

billybreen
04-01-2008, 06:41 PM
so somebody DOES remember me from the old days? Cool. Do you remember what my name was? Was it bludvl97 or something to that effect? Anyway, thanks for the compliment. I've always tried to at least sound like I knew what I was talking about. :rolleyes: That means a lot coming from you. There are a lot of people on this board I have admired over the years, and you were always one of them. In fact, I admire most of the people that are currently moderators. I remember fondly the day that I found out I was a moderator on the old board. Of course, I think I found out that same day that EVERYBODY was a moderator. That really took the wind out of my sails. I was always sad when I lost that power, even though I don't think I ever used it on anyone.

Yep, just verified from the archive that it was 'bludvl97.' The old 'Who Am I' thread has been mirrored here (http://snrub.com/whoami/), including your first entry (http://snrub.com/whoami/19373_19.html).

OZZIE4DUKE
04-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Yep, just verified from the archive that it was 'bludvl97.' The old 'Who Am I' thread has been mirrored here (http://snrub.com/whoami/), including your first entry (http://snrub.com/whoami/19373_19.html)

Played the rest of my time on the club team, which was much cooler, since we actually won games, and I got to play in them (full contact, full pads, with refs...we even beat Carolina a couple times when I was on the team.

I too played Club Football for 3 years until I tore my knee (left MCL) in the spring game at carolina on their Astroturf field (Navy Field?). I coached the team senior year. I was Club treasurer for three years. In the 70's, we were very short of players (one game we played with 12 - that was a very very very long game) and we often had, um, ringers play with us - guys who were former varsity players, even one who was an all ACC running back and was just dying to play linebacker. We did well in those games, not so good when we barely had enough to play. But we had fun!

billybreen
04-01-2008, 09:59 PM
I too played Club Football for 3 years until I tore my knee (left MCL) in the spring game at carolina on their Astroturf field (Navy Field?). I coached the team senior year. I was Club treasurer for three years. In the 70's, we were very short of players (one game we played with 12 - that was a very very very long game) and we often had, um, ringers play with us - guys who were former varsity players, even one who was an all ACC running back and was just dying to play linebacker. We did well in those games, not so good when we barely had enough to play. But we had fun!

Yep, that's what you said when you replied to bjornolf/bludvl97 5 years ago. :)

OZZIE4DUKE
04-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Yep, that's what you said when you replied to bjornolf/bludvl97 5 years ago. :)

I remember. That's the nice thing about telling the truth - you don't have to remember the lies. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

bjornolf
04-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Yep, just verified from the archive that it was 'bludvl97.' The old 'Who Am I' thread has been mirrored here (http://snrub.com/whoami/), including your first entry (http://snrub.com/whoami/19373_19.html).

that's awesome! Thanks BB. How do you access the archives? I'd love to look through them and try to find my first post, so I'd know when I joined. :cool:

billybreen
04-01-2008, 10:43 PM
that's awesome! Thanks BB. How do you access the archives? I'd love to look through them and try to find my first post, so I'd know when I joined. :cool:

I took them offline because the system that formerly hosted the archive is no longer with us. I've been thinking of trying to put them up in some form, but there hasn't been enough demand.

bjornolf
04-01-2008, 11:14 PM
I took them offline because the system that formerly hosted the archive is no longer with us. I've been thinking of trying to put them up in some form, but there hasn't been enough demand.

I for one would love to see them around again. ;)

billybreen
04-02-2008, 12:48 AM
I for one would love to see them around again. ;)

Done. It's not pretty, but the archive (covering from late 2004 to early 2007) is now hosted here (http://snrub.com/dbr/). There's no search functionality, and the page for each board lists every thread.

If you specifically want to find your posts, I can give you pointers.

billybreen
04-02-2008, 01:22 AM
Done. It's not pretty, but the archive (covering from late 2004 to early 2007) is now hosted here (http://snrub.com/dbr/). There's no search functionality, and the page for each board lists every thread.

If you specifically want to find your posts, I can give you pointers.

BTW, it looks like you were a regular poster in 2003 when the 'Who Am I?' thread was created, so the archive won't include your first post.

bjornolf
04-02-2008, 09:44 AM
BTW, it looks like you were a regular poster in 2003 when the 'Who Am I?' thread was created, so the archive won't include your first post.

It started in 2003? Okay, then yeah, I was around long before that. I know for a fact that I was a member before I got married, which would have been the first week of 2001, and I think I had joined by late 1999, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I'm pretty sure that I hadn't heard of DBR before I graduated Duke in 1997, so I think I joined sometime between fall 1998 (as I said, I read the site for several months, maybe even a year, before I joined) and the end of 1999.

Anyway, thanks for putting up the archives. Maybe the powers that be could throw a link up to it somewhere on the site so people can find it if they want to. I gave it a quick perusal, and it's really cool to be able to see some of that old stuff. :)

billybreen
04-02-2008, 11:28 AM
It started in 2003? Okay, then yeah, I was around long before that. I know for a fact that I was a member before I got married, which would have been the first week of 2001, and I think I had joined by late 1999, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I'm pretty sure that I hadn't heard of DBR before I graduated Duke in 1997, so I think I joined sometime between fall 1998 (as I said, I read the site for several months, maybe even a year, before I joined) and the end of 1999.

Yeah, the old software never supported archiving. I asked in mid-2004 whether I could create a third party archive (by scraping the boards and storing all new messages every few minutes) and there were long debates as to whether there would be value, whether people would feel that their privacy was violated, etc. The new board, as with pretty much any other in common use, archives all posts by default.

It still bums me out that we lost so many great posts to the ether.

blublood
04-02-2008, 12:07 PM
... do we have answers for the quiz? Things are busy around here what with the TK transfer news, but I'm still curious!

james
04-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah, the old software never supported archiving. I asked in mid-2004 whether I could create a third party archive (by scraping the boards and storing all new messages every few minutes) and there were long debates as to whether there would be value, whether people would feel that their privacy was violated, etc. The new board, as with pretty much any other in common use, archives all posts by default.

It still bums me out that we lost so many great posts to the ether.

I was pointed to this thread by a reader, who wanted to ask me a few questions. (Like, "Are all of Jumbo's answers correct?" -- hell if I know. There are a couple where public and private discussions may have different answers, for example, the neighborhood pub analogy was discussed privately before it was ever published. But for these purposes, I suspect the first published is a correct answer, since many of you were not privvy to the behind-the-scenes discussions!)

I still have the last backup from before my withdrawal from DBR. In there are all the registered aliases by people who signed in to DBR. The temporary aliases from the last 30 days are present.

Someone earlier mentioned moderation -- that was a nice idea that I regret did not work out so well. I thought it might be nice to see community consensus on good/bad threads result in good threads bubbling upward without needing people to post to a thread, but even where there was consensus, it never worked all that well.

Here's an additional question for you: What SBBS feature resulted from the "Who am I?" thread?

billybreen
04-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Here's an additional question for you: What SBBS feature resulted from the "Who am I?" thread?

My answer in white so others can guess: Poster biographies editable from account preferences.

gvtucker
04-02-2008, 03:55 PM
I think I know all the answers but one.

bjornolf
04-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Speaking of the "who am I thread", I wish more people would fill out their biographies more thoroughly. Somebody will say something interesting, for example, and I'll want to know whether that's the opinion of a dukie or non-dukie, or a guy or a gal, or a "yute" (for those my cousin vinny fans) or a reverred elder, and I'll click on their bio and see... nothing. I'm always bummed out by that. :rolleyes: I know, I know, I worry about the dumbest things.

devildeac
04-02-2008, 05:26 PM
OK boys and girls. Chill out, kick back and prepare for immense quantities of fun. To lighten the mood and provide a different topic of conversation, I present the first-ever Official DBR Quiz. To the winner goes a very, very special prize. Read on.
First, the rules.
1) Answer the questions in this thread, but do it in white. That way, no one can read your answers without highlighting. More on that in a second, but you can change the font color by clicking on the "quote" as a reply to this message or "going advanced" off a quick reply, then clicking on the A (to the right of "sizes") and changing the color.
2) Don't cheat by highlighting other answers. You're only cheating yourself. (Well, and everyone else.) And being really lame.
3) The person who answers the most questions correctly wins the super-duper prize. If there is a tie ... well ... I haven't figured out how to break a tie, yet.
4) What is the prize? Glad you asked. The winner gets to ... moderate me for a day! That's right. You can send me on an all-expense made trip to "you-own-me-ville!" Force me to delete or edit anything I post -- I am yours. Do with me as you please. (But be gentle; I am delicate.)
PM me with any comments, questions or jokes about Jason Evans.
Are you ready? Good. Sharpen those #2 pencils and let's get started!

Can't Play."
that never materialized?
22) Who beats himself?
a Duke-Carolina game?
I clicked on 'white' so I hope I haven't messed up and created extra work for you Jumbo. Great idea>
1. barbecue
2. juliovision.com
3. inside CIS(a guess)
4. a) getting giddy, losing control
4. b) the recruiting class of J-Will, Carlos , Dunleavy, et al (a guess)
5. Jason Evans? work? posting at DBR? (serious answer-at CNN)
6. Patrick Patterson (after committing to uk)
7. a) Jason Williams can't play(a guess)
7. b) Udaman (a guess)
7. c) DevilMomma
8. Nate James (he is STILL a badI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.)
9. Mike/Michael; Julian
10. Chris Burgess(a guess)
11. no clue(Mc Grupp and Watzone?)
12. The McGrupp Method(is this trademarked?)
13. Klemnop(we would still bail his nekkid I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. out of jail if he did this but, as we found out during D'oh's time and this year, this will NEVER happen in our lifetime)
14. It's Over
15. How We Beat (fill in the blank)
16. Nick Horvath
17. And who poured the beer?(a guess)
18. a) OZZIE
18. b) depends on whose perspective you are considering-I know OZZIE and he WAS serious, though I am not sure any one in the AD office, or at Duke, or, for that matter, any one on this planet thought it was serious. Guess who will dust off his CV is Boatin' Joe leaves us(sniff, sniff) for LSU???
19. C
20. Stray
21. Ed Geth(a guess)
22. Ademola Okolija(sp?)-if you count off for spelling here, go back and look at 'purporse':D (do we get a bonus point if we know the tune/song? If so, it is "If You're Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands")
23. eleventy billion(a guess)
24. Brand, Maggette and Avery
25. Status Check (bonus points for who starts it every year???-OZZIE, unless Jumbo beats himself, err, beats OZZIE to it(jk, bif fella:D )
26. The Phalanx
27. several possible answers here: a) hell b) chappaheeya c) 8-9 miles south of THE university of north carolina or,the most likely to be counted correct one, d) Chapel Hill, NC
28. Matt the Eagle
29. unc/IC(a guess)
30. Patrick Davidson

billybreen
04-02-2008, 05:45 PM
I clicked on 'white' so I hope I haven't messed up and created extra work for you Jumbo. Great idea>

Oh man. You might want to use the Preview button to verify before posting. ;)

devildeac
04-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Oh man. You might want to use the Preview button to verify before posting. ;)

Sadly, I did use the preview button-TWICE-once to try the 'color' white and a second time to edit/correct a name and STILL screwed up. Sorry, folks. Kind of a computer ignoramus:o .

colchar
04-02-2008, 06:00 PM

The ability to "sticky" a thread so that it would not expire.

billybreen
04-02-2008, 06:32 PM
The ability to "sticky" a thread so that it would not expire.

I think that existed before Who Am I?

Lavabe
04-02-2008, 08:45 PM
The Gaffney, SC giant peach water tower

Lavabe
04-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Greeley, Colorado... you mean there's a UNC east of the Mississippi?

colchar
04-02-2008, 10:29 PM
I think that existed before Who Am I?

James mentioned in that thread that he would have to rewrite the software to prevent the thread from expiring - which is what made me think it had originated because of that thread.

billybreen
04-02-2008, 10:33 PM
James mentioned in that thread that he would have to rewrite the software to prevent the thread from expiring - which is what made me think it had originated because of that thread.

Ahh, good call. And to think, I could have just checked the archive linked from this thread for that answer. ;)

duketaylor
04-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Before I begin to answer any of the quiz, how do I font it white, sorry, I'm also computer-challenged? Thanks, CT, future AD;)

devildeac
04-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Before I begin to answer any of the quiz, how do I font it white, sorry, I'm also computer-challenged? Thanks, CT, future AD;)

glad to see you are not the only one, Chuck. Good luck. Look at how I screwed my post up earlier on this thread:o .

colchar
04-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Ahh, good call. And to think, I could have just checked the archive linked from this thread for that answer. ;)

That's actually how I figured it out!

-jk
04-03-2008, 10:24 AM

If you put your answers between the color tags, i.e., insert text here, it'll make it white on white.

And use the Preview Post button to see if you got it right.

-jk

OZZIE4DUKE
04-03-2008, 10:32 AM
glad to see you are not the only one, Chuck. Good luck. Look at how I screwed my post up earlier on this thread:o .

This is white
This is silver
This is lemon chiffon

And those are the only light colors that drop down in the box when I click on the arrow to the right of the A at the top of the posting box. If some sort of light gray needs to be added, please do, or live with white

colchar
04-03-2008, 12:40 PM
This is white
This is silver
This is lemon chiffon

And those are the only light colors that drop down in the box when I click on the arrow to the right of the A at the top of the posting box. If some sort of light gray needs to be added, please do, or live with white

That post is offensive to those of us who are colour-blind. I thought better of you Ozzie. I really, really did. I think I'm going to have to report you to the mods. And maybe launch a lawsuit or something. But I'll need help with that - I wonder if there are any lawyers here on DBR...?

devildeac
04-03-2008, 12:44 PM
This is white
This is silver
This is lemon chiffon

let's see if that works

devildeac
04-03-2008, 12:45 PM
let's see if that works

nope-clicked on A and then the arrow and typed and still have black. back to the drawing board

devildeac
04-03-2008, 01:02 PM
This is white
This is silver
This is lemon chiffon

whitenow?
silver
silver
yellow
lemon chiffon
ugly blue
good blue

test-test

devildeac
04-03-2008, 01:06 PM
whitenow?
silver
silver
yellow
lemon chiffon
ugly blue
good blue

test-test

After playing around for a while, I may have it now. Just could not figger out the correct sequence of steps. Like I said , a relative computer ignoramus who is notnotnotnotcolor blind.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-03-2008, 01:07 PM
That post is offensive to those of us who are colour-blind. I thought better of you Ozzie. I really, really did. I think I'm going to have to report you to the mods. And maybe launch a lawsuit or something. But I'll need help with that - I wonder if there are any lawyers here on DBR...?

Colchar, I try to be politically incorrect every chance I get. :D

devildeac
04-03-2008, 01:15 PM
I kinda like this one: creme brulee any one?OZZIE?.

Jumbo
04-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Does anyone still want to guess, or is it time to post the answers and declare a winner?

TillyGalore
04-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Does anyone still want to guess, or is it time to post the answers and declare a winner?

I vote post answers and declare a winner. I'm dying to see who gets to moderate Jumbo. :)

Jumbo
04-03-2008, 06:13 PM
I vote post answers and declare a winner. I'm dying to see who gets to moderate Jumbo. :)

Heck, at this rate, maybe we should just hold an auction for that "honor" and raise some money for charity. ;)

Lavabe
04-03-2008, 07:26 PM

GOT to give that honor to Cameron!

merry
04-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Heck, at this rate, maybe we should just hold an auction for that "honor" and raise some money for charity. ;)

That's funny, because if I had won I was going to ask if I could auction off the moderating gig. I generally like people unmoderated (even you, Jumbo :eek: ) and am not much for power trips so the whole moderation prize would have been wasted on me.

devildeac
04-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Post the answers-clap, clap, clap/clap/clap:D

colchar
04-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Post the answers-clap, clap, clap/clap/clap:D

I agree. I'm starting to think Jumbo has gone AWOL.

Jumbo
04-04-2008, 02:50 PM
OK, here are the answers. I'll announce scores later, because a bunch of posters will be getting partial credit for certain questions. Enjoy!

A: BBQ
A: Juliovision
A: A parquet/hardwood floor.
A: Getting Giddy, Losing Control.
A: The signing of Avery, Battier, Brand and Burgess
A: CNN
A: "Bush Mispronounces Battier"
A: "I'm Disappointed in Jason Williams"
A: Katie
A: DevilMomma
Can't Play."
A: Nate James
A: Mike and Julian
A: Ricky Price
that never materialized?
A: Colchar and Duketaylor (although Dan In NY became part of the trek, I believe.)
A: The McGrupp Method
A: Klemnop
A: "It's Over"
A: "How We Beat [insert team]"
A: Nick Horvath
A: "And [Player] served the beer..."
A: Ozzie
A: Serious
A: Gminski
A: Stray Gator
A: Brian Bersticker
22) Who beats himself?
A: Ademola Okulaja
A: Too many to count...
A: Avery, Brand and Maggette
a Duke-Carolina game?
A: "Status Check"
A: The Phalanx
A: Hell
A: Sam The Eagle
A: Kentucky
A: Patrick Davidson

colchar
04-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Now it is time for the stories behind these answers to come out as I am sure there are some new(ish) people here who would be interested in hearing them.

pfrduke
04-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Now it is time for the stories behind these answers to come out as I am sure there are some new(ish) people here who would be interested in hearing them.

given your prominent involvement in #11, feel free to lead the charge.

Jumbo
04-04-2008, 03:35 PM
given your prominent involvement in #11, feel free to lead the charge.

Oh, there's a good story for that coming once I'm done scoring the quiz, considering Colchar didn't get that question completely right!

Jumbo
04-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Since I can't find any response with a correct answer for this one.

7b) What was the name of poster who started that thread? Katie. She had a dog named Cherokee

Are you Katie? I remember she checked in a couple of years ago. If not, tell her to check out this thread!

gw67
04-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Dang! I knew a bunch more of the answers but couldn’t call them up from the attic in my brain.

I’ll provide a couple of comments about the answer to question 21) What Carolina big man did Wheat love to pump up? For those that don’t know, Wheat is a passionate North Carolina fan. Before entering the bass fishing tour a few years ago, he was a semi-regular poster on DBR. During pre-season discussions, he often provided a terrific preview (albeit biased) of the Heels. One player that Wheat trumpeted each year (from 98-02) was Brian Bersticker or “Stick” as Wheat called him. Bersticker was a tall, thin player (6-11, 210) from Virginia who ran the floor well, had good hands and a good shooting touch. My recollection is that he played well when called upon but he never put on any weight and was simply not strong enough to play center in the ACC. He also was injured one year and was redshirted. Nevertheless, Wheat saw the potential in “Stick” and I suspect that he was a favorite player of Wheat. I remember this because I also saw the potential in Bersticker and backed Wheat in his forays with the posters at this site regarding this youngster. I would up taking some heat and I recall being called a North Carolina fan for my misjudgment.

I note that calling someone a Heels fan must be the ultimate putdown as I was recently described as such again for saying some nice things about Hansbrough and stating that I support all ACC teams, including the Heels, in the NCAAT. I protested but in vain. The truth came out earlier this week. My wonderful wife clears our social calendar for March Madness. A couple of days ago, however, she asked me if we ought to call some friends about going out to dinner Saturday night. I reminded her that the Final Four games were then but she pointed out that I was NOT a fan of any of the teams. So there!

gw67

colchar
04-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Oh, there's a good story for that coming once I'm done scoring the quiz, considering Colchar didn't get that question completely right!

I beg to differ (some people here will get that joke). Dan and I talked about making the trip down together - he lives in upstate New York and had planned to drive through Ontario to pick me up on his way down to NC (rather than driving down in different cars). We were supposed to meet up with Duketaylor while there but, from what I remember, it was always Dan and I who planned to make the roadtrip. Duketaylor joining us was just an added bonus at the end of the ride. I may be wrong (Duketaylor may want to wiegh in on this) but that is how I remember it.

Also, I had offered to bring something along with me (in addition to a LOT of good Canadian beer) and my making that offer to Duketaylor led to one of the stranger incidents ever to take place between two people here on DBR. Some people might remember it (Duketaylor for example) but I am not sure it would be appropriate for me to discuss it openly in this thread (unless that is part of the "good story . . . coming" that Jumbo referred to).

Jumbo
04-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I beg to differ (some people here will get that joke). Dan and I talked about making the trip down together - he lives in upstate New York and had planned to drive through Ontario to pick me up on his way down to NC (rather than driving down in different cars). We were supposed to meet up with Duketaylor while there but, from what I remember, it was always Dan and I who planned to make the roadtrip. Duketaylor joining us was just an added bonus at the end of the ride. I may be wrong (Duketaylor may want to wiegh in on this) but that is how I remember it.

Also, I had offered to bring something along with me (in addition to a LOT of good Canadian beer) and my making that offer to Duketaylor led to one of the stranger incidents ever to take place between two people here on DBR. Some people might remember it (Duketaylor for example) but I am not sure it would be appropriate for me to discuss it openly in this thread (unless that is part of the "good story . . . coming" that Jumbo referred to).

It may have started with you and Dan, but you and Duketaylor spent YEARS discussing this trip. You were going to bring Canadian beer. And you guys kept posting stuff on the bulletin board that easily could have been e-mailed to one another, making it unintentionally hilarious. Good times for all -- and I'm impressed that a few posters got the correct answer.

Jumbo
04-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks to everyone who participated. I had a lot of fun creating the quiz, and I hope the stories that follow make it even more worthwhile. It would be cool if some of the newbies could check out this thread -- you get a real sense of the history of the place from some of this stuff.
Anyway, let's count up to a winner. I was a fair but tough grader, and awarded fractional points for various answers. (There were more than 30 points available, since all parts of each question were worth a maximum of one point.)
In last place, with a score of 1 point (however, he gets a bonus point for multiple Jason Evans jokes) is Bluedawg. Yay, Bluedawg. Moving along:

RelativeWays: 4 points
Susan: 9
Watzone: 9.5
Cameronblue: 13.5 (loses five points for forgetting the names of the site owners who actually let him into their homes and gave him tickets for an adjusted score of 8.5)
Arkiedukie: 14
GW67: 14.5
Exiled_Devil: 16
Riverside: 16.75, but he gets a bonus point for listing Feldspar as the wrong answer in so many different questions for an adjusted total of 17.5
The Gordog: 17
Mkirsh: 17
Monkey: 18.5
pfrduke: 20
Highlander: 20.5
Lid: 22
Billy Breen: 23.5, loses 10 points for his crack about my being banned, gains them back or the Ham Salad/Sun Tzu joke
Socaldukie: 24
Tbyers11: 24.5
DevilDeac: 24.5
Johnboy: 24.5
Colchar: 25.5 (Loses 100 points for forgetting Duketaylor in his epic non-journey, resulting in an adjusted score of -74.5)
Bjornwolf: 27
Duvall: 27
Merry: 28

And your winner, with an incredible score of 29.5 and the proud owner of a brand new Jumbo for a day ... Dyedwab!

Please check your scores and let me know if I made any mistakes. Otherwise, we will all await Dyedwab's victory speech.

pfrduke
04-04-2008, 04:27 PM
And your winner, with an incredible score of 29.5 and the proud owner of a brand new Jumbo for a day ... Dyeweb!

Please check your scores and let me know if I made any mistakes. Otherwise, we will all await Dyeweb's victory speech.

isn't it dyedwab?

billybreen
04-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks to everyone who participated. I had a lot of fun creating the quiz, and I hope the stories that follow make it even more worthwhile. It would be cool if some of the newbies could check out this thread -- you get a real sense of the history of the place from some of this stuff.
And your winner, with an incredible score of 29.5 and the proud owner of a brand new Jumbo for a day ... Dyedwab!

Please check your scores and let me know if I made any mistakes. Otherwise, we will all await Dyeweb's victory speech.

Congrats, Dyedwab! One tip from someone who has had the "honor" of moderating Jumbo in the past -- be prepared for some Jumbo sized tears. ;)

Jumbo
04-04-2008, 04:30 PM
isn't it dyedwab?

Example 143 of why I'm an idiot.

gvtucker
04-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Hey, I only missed one question.

Just take my word for it.

Klemnop
04-04-2008, 07:18 PM
I loved this - a great jaunt down memory lane. And I'm very proud and honored to have earned a place in DBR lore.

Of all the questions I got the most fun from remembering "GGLC". By the time I had been turned on to DBR I hadn't been using this new-fangled internet more than a month. This was back in the day when there was a DBR chat room (as I recall I stumbled into the chat room quite by accident and was fortunate to find Jason Evans, among others, who were very gentle with me.) In the process of figuring out what "GGLC" meant I got a complete education on other elementary, yet baffling, shorthand such as LMAO, ROTFLMAO, IIRC, FWIW and a bevy of others. An entire world of chat mystery was opened to me and I'll never forget that moment when I finally discovered what the hell "LOL" meant.

In fact I barely understood PC usage let alone internet shorthand. I used to handwrite my verfiication codes on what grew to be very long, cryptic scraps of paper. I had a difficult time explaining to my wife what exactly I was doing. I had no idea you could just cut and paste the codes directly from the e-mail to the verification fields for the first six months of my life here. Cut and paste was a life changing revelation at the time.

Klem

P.S. - It's just a thought - but shouldn't anyone who missed #13 be obligated to get me tickets to the next Clemson game at Cameron?

DukieInKansas
04-04-2008, 07:56 PM
P.S. - It's just a thought - but shouldn't anyone who missed #13 be obligated to get me tickets to the next Clemson game at Cameron?

Talk to Ozzie - out next AD

riverside6
04-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Riverside: 16.75, but he gets a bonus point for listing Feldspar as the wrong answer in so many different questions for an adjusted total of 17.5

Hey, when in doubt, just say Feldspar!

dyedwab
04-05-2008, 03:51 PM
...have I spent far too much time in DBR in the 12 years...I am humbled...and honored....

....sorry I missed reading this threaded, as I was spending time with my new baby daughter....Don't worry, the first song she heard was the blue devils fight song

anyway, great quiz and a great stroll down memory lane....

bjornolf
04-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Billy Breen: 23.5, loses 10 points for his crack about my being banned, gains them back or the Ham Salad/Sun Tzu joke
Bjornwolf: 27

He gets credit for that, but I don't get anything for my butter joke? That is SO not fair. :p And do I get extra credit for you not getting my name right either? :rolleyes:

colchar
04-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Just bumping this thread back to the top so that others might see it in the hope that some of the stories behind the answers might come to light (such as a particular poster's application to be AD).

devildeac
04-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Just bumping this thread back to the top so that others might see it in the hope that some of the stories behind the answers might come to light (such as a particular poster's application to be AD).

Paging OZZIE. Sounds like folks want to hear "the rest of the story". You could even give them part I AND part II:D

Jumbo
04-09-2008, 12:57 PM
...have I spent far too much time in DBR in the 12 years...I am humbled...and honored....

....sorry I missed reading this threaded, as I was spending time with my new baby daughter....Don't worry, the first song she heard was the blue devils fight song

anyway, great quiz and a great stroll down memory lane....

You still need to let me know when you want to collect your "prize!"

colchar
04-09-2008, 02:00 PM
You still need to let me know when you want to collect your "prize!"

I'd be careful what you ask for. Moderating you will be easy - you'll simply be banned for 24 hours!!!!

ugadevil
05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
I thought I'd try and bring this thread back up. There was talk of learning about some of the stories that were attached with a lot of the questions. Would anyone care to shed some light on the questions?

Baldy
02-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I thought I'd try and bring this thread back up. There was talk of learning about some of the stories that were attached with a lot of the questions. Would anyone care to shed some light on the questions?

I came across this thread and I have to disagree with the 'official' answer to question #26 - we were the 'Four Fat Guy Phalanx'. The Four Fat guys were Horny (Ed - the Viking Guy), Baldy (Kevin - that's me), Tiny (Brit - he complained about being called a 'fat guy' so we called him 'Tiny'), and Spike (Jeff - Mullet Man). Throaty was a part of our group, but clearly not a fat guy. Here's to you guys wherever you are! (and John, Phil, and Justin, too...) I wish we were all camped out in front of Cameron right now! CGTH!

DevilWearsPrada
02-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Where are the answers to the questions? I might not have seen it in the thread, I was scanning it very rapidly.

Great questions and knowledge to remember or know!!!!

I wish Viking Guy, Mullet Man and all those great Grad Students, even Speedo Guy were camping out for the game!!!!!

Lets Go Duke! GTHC

94duke
02-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Where are the answers to the questions? I might not have seen it in the thread, I was scanning it very rapidly.

Great questions and knowledge to remember or know!!!!

I wish Viking Guy, Mullet Man and all those great Grad Students, even Speedo Guy were camping out for the game!!!!!

Lets Go Duke! GTHC

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?8293-The-Official-DBR-Quiz&p=131000#post131000

Viking Guy
02-12-2011, 01:06 AM
I came across this thread and I have to disagree with the 'official' answer to question #26 - we were the 'Four Fat Guy Phalanx'. The Four Fat guys were Horny (Ed - the Viking Guy), Baldy (Kevin - that's me), Tiny (Brit - he complained about being called a 'fat guy' so we called him 'Tiny'), and Spike (Jeff - Mullet Man). Throaty was a part of our group, but clearly not a fat guy. Here's to you guys wherever you are! (and John, Phil, and Justin, too...) I wish we were all camped out in front of Cameron right now! CGTH!

Origins moment:

(after 7 or 8 pre-game PBRs circa 2002)

MM: "What's a 'phalanx'?"
VG: "Well they were these ancient dudes with spears...they were pretty good at defense."
MM: "I'm down with that"

The closest we came to anything like an official name was "The Four Fat Guy Phalanx (featuring Throatybeard)", with original composition (from south to north) kevin, ed, jeff, britt, TB. That was before there were more than four of us, and before some of us lost some weight. And before TB got fat. Then we had to shorten to "the Phalanx"

throatybeard
02-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Throaty was a part of our group, but clearly not a fat guy

Those were the days. The good news is I'm down about ten pounds from last summer.

We should also add, Drew Brown was a pretty integral member of the group in 2002, despite being unfat and a Wake Forest fan.

Viking Guy
02-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Those were the days. The good news is I'm down about ten pounds from last summer.

We should also add, Drew Brown was a pretty integral member of the group in 2002, despite being unfat and a Wake Forest fan.

Drew was more like a "special guest star". Xenic was the same.

Baldy
02-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Drew was more like a "special guest star". Xenic was the same.

I'd call John and Phil an integral part of the group while they were there - and if you disagree...

I'LL COME TO YOUR HOUSE AND STEAL YOUR GARBAGE!!!!!

MulletMan
02-12-2011, 04:57 PM
I'd call John and Phil an integral part of the group while they were there - and if you disagree...

I saw both of those guys last weekend after the State game! I'd call them the Phalanx annex. And its Mike Wood's garbage that you'll need to steal. And kick his dog while you're there.

(Sorry DBRers for hijacking this into our own conversation... nothing to see here... move along...)1870

MulletMan
02-12-2011, 04:58 PM

I saw both of those guys last weekend after the State game! I'd call them the Phalanx annex. And its Mike Wood's garbage that you'll need to steal. And kick his dog while you're there.

(Sorry DBRers for hijacking this into our own conversation... nothing to see here... move along...)

Viking Guy
02-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Full cast was Kevin, Ed, Jeff, Britt, TB, John and Phil, Gavin, Kim, and Laura. Who did I miss?

"I'M GOING TO COME TO YOUR HOUSE, I'M GOING TO KISS YOUR WIFE, I'M GOING TO KICK YOUR DOG AND THEN I'M GOING TO STEAL YOUR GARBAGE!!!"

Baldy
02-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Full cast was Kevin, Ed, Jeff, Britt, TB, John and Phil, Gavin, Kim, and Laura. Who did I miss?

"I'M GOING TO COME TO YOUR HOUSE, I'M GOING TO KISS YOUR WIFE, I'M GOING TO KICK YOUR DOG AND THEN I'M GOING TO STEAL YOUR GARBAGE!!!"

Thanks for the full quote. You should probably include Justin, too (and I should give props to Leigh and Corrine - my head artists).

Jeff,

It's good to know that those guys are still around - I'll let John take care of any garbage stealing that needs to be done (besides, I don't even know where Mike Woods lives...).

Viking Guy
02-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the full quote.

It was definitely one of our Top 10. I also enjoy remembering these classic moments:

* "D'oh's Hate List" sign earns disapproving glare from D'oh
* Pepsi 152 nearly results in unintentional racism
* ESPNU mikes us up, then decides that was a bad idea
* Eight of us drink an entire keg in subzero temperatures (Why God Why?)
* Mullet befriends Doris Burke
* Pickup basketball in Cameron in socks
* Speedo Guy dances

MulletMan
02-12-2011, 06:34 PM
It was definitely one of our Top 10. I also enjoy remembering these classic moments:

* "D'oh's Hate List" sign earns disapproving glare from D'oh

This sign? :cool:

Viking Guy
02-12-2011, 06:41 PM

It proved to be accurate!

superdave
02-12-2011, 08:09 PM

Nice sign! I still have my DBR t-shirt listing all the people who turned down the Unc job. Doh!

Lid
02-12-2011, 09:19 PM
* ESPNU mikes us up, then decides that was a bad idea
Would love to have heard the producer in the truck when that happened.

Viking Guy
02-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Would love to have heard the producer in the truck when that happened.

It may have had something to do with this exchange:

VG: "&@%$#&ing Tarheels!!"

MM: "Dude, you can't say that on television"

VG: (directly into the mike) "Who cares? NOBODY WATCHES ESPNU ANYWAY"

(we might have been drinking before the game)

throatybeard
02-12-2011, 11:11 PM
* Pepsi 152 nearly results in unintentional racism.

I was coming to during the 2H, really the first time in about three hours since I had a lovely convo with one Bob Harris at the South entrance, before things got a little blurry, and the way I remember it, it went like this. Recall that Mssr Hodge had said some very dismissive things about Raleigh and North Carolina in the N&O.

Mssr Hodge: (to self) I think I'm going to shoot these here foul shots, I will.

(a still, relative silence, like a soft winter wind in Siberia settles over the crowd during the "shhhh" free throw distraction)

Throaty: "[expletive] you, Julius, you Bronx [double expletive]"

Now, I wasn't at my best, and I may have fallen off a chair a couple hours earlier, and my pants were loose, and let's don't talk about the legal limit, and I had forgotten that Mssr Hodge was from Harlem, not the Bronx. I think he may have gone to HS in the Bronx? BUT. Still, I don't think "Bronx," even slightly slurred, sounds that much like "Black." Reasonable minds may differ. And did, apparently, from contemporary accounts.

I think my vocally interrupting the Anthem was far worse.

ESPNU mikes us up, then decides that was a bad idea

Wow. I hadn't heard about this. This must have been after I left.

For all you kids out there, stay in school. Alcohol is a hell of a drug. Drugs are for losers. Drink milk, and one day, the rest of us will be sorry.

MulletMan
02-13-2011, 12:01 AM
i was coming to during the 2h, really the first time in about three hours since i had a lovely convo with one bob harris at the south entrance, before things got a little blurry, and the way i remember it, it went like this. Recall that mssr hodge had said some very dismissive things about raleigh and north carolina in the n&o.

Mssr hodge: (to self) i think i'm going to shot these here foul shots, i will.

(a still relative silence, like a soft winter wind in siberia settles over the crowd during the "shhhh" free throw distraction)

throaty: "[expletive] you, julius, you bronx [double expletive]"

now, i wasn't at my best, and i may have fallen off a chair a couple hours earlier, and my pants were loose, and let's don't talk about the legal limit, and i had forgotten that mssr hodge was from harlem, not the bronx. I think he may have gone to hs in the bronx? But. Still, i don't think "bronx," even slightly slurred, sounds that much like "black." reasonable minds may differ. And did, apparently, from contemporary accounts.

I think my vocally interrupting the anthem was far worse.

Wow. I hadn't heard about this. This must have been after i left.

For all you kids out there, stay in school. Alcohol is a hell of a drug. Drugs are for losers. Drink milk, and one day, the rest of us will be sorry.

p.

O.

T.

Y.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Reading these last few posts has literally brought tears to my eyes from laughing so hard. You guys were great! And still are. And if I may site the HPR, 11)e) - not when I was 20, but when you guys were there! :cool:

Baldy
02-13-2011, 12:44 AM
I was coming to during the 2H, really the first time in about three hours since I had a lovely convo with one Bob Harris at the South entrance, before things got a little blurry, and the way I remember it, it went like this. Recall that Mssr Hodge had said some very dismissive things about Raleigh and North Carolina in the N&O.

Mssr Hodge: (to self) I think I'm going to shoot these here foul shots, I will.

(a still, relative silence, like a soft winter wind in Siberia settles over the crowd during the "shhhh" free throw distraction)

Throaty: "[expletive] you, Julius, you Bronx [double expletive]"

Now, I wasn't at my best, and I may have fallen off a chair a couple hours earlier, and my pants were loose, and let's don't talk about the legal limit, and I had forgotten that Mssr Hodge was from Harlem, not the Bronx. I think he may have gone to HS in the Bronx? BUT. Still, I don't think "Bronx," even slightly slurred, sounds that much like "Black." Reasonable minds may differ. And did, apparently, from contemporary accounts.

I think my vocally interrupting the anthem was far worse.

Thanks for clarifying this - I didn't know what Ed was referring to, but I do remember your conversation with Mssr Hodge and can confirm that you did have a falling episode earlier and that your interruption of the anthem was worse - but I'm sure that was the fault of Pepsi 152 as well...

DukieTiger
02-13-2011, 03:20 AM
So I've been more of a skimmer of this board than a lurker for the past decade-ish, but just now came across this thread. Reading the rich history of DBR has been great- some very good memories... I only wish I had read and posted more over the years-but I guess it's never too late to start.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... Go Duke!!! :D

Richard Berg
02-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Keggy?

http://richardberg.net/bin/temp/6guysKeg.jpg

Baldy
02-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Keggy?

Wow, I haven't seen that picture in a long time - I wonder what Keggy is up to now...

Viking Guy
02-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Keggy?

I love the little shoes on Keggy. What's up with my hair?

throatybeard
02-13-2011, 06:36 PM
You hair is sticking out from your helmet since it was longer back then. What I can't understand, even though I drew it, is why Kovacs' cheek looks like John McCain's.

Wow, I haven't seen that picture in a long time - I wonder what Keggy is up to now...

I'm pretty sure we killed him the night before the 2004 Maryland game.

Baldy
02-13-2011, 07:32 PM
You hair is sticking out from your helmet since it was longer back then. What I can't understand, even though I drew it, is why Kovacs' cheek looks like John McCain's.

I thought those were the earflaps on his helmet.

I'm pretty sure we killed him the night before the 2004 Maryland game.

RIP Keggy.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-13-2011, 07:59 PM
I just stumbled on this thread and breezed through it after a long day on the water and have to say I am honored the be included in the quiz.

I take pride on my evaluations of the players we all discuss around here, and I missed on Bersticker. I see I'll never live that down. The guy had all the promise in the world and no heart for the game. How was I supposed to know that after watching a few games on T.V.?
To this day, I still think back and see him as a poor man's Josh McRoberts...a really poor, can't find a nickle for a pack of crackers, rags on his feet for shoes version... of Josh McRoberts.

One other little story from back in the day...I remember when DBR was Juliovision too. In fact, I remember checking the domain name and saw that DukeBasketballReport.com was available. I briefly considered buying it just for fun, but instead sent either J or B an e-mail suggesting they get it...(can't remember which, maybe they do?).
I'm not sure whether my suggestion prompted them to go get it or not at the time, I'm sure they would have eventually, but just think about it...Wheat/"/"/" could have OWNED DBR! :)

superdave
02-13-2011, 09:24 PM
I just stumbled on this thread and breezed through it after a long day on the water and have to say I am honored the be included in the quiz.

I take pride on my evaluations of the players we all discuss around here, and I missed on Bersticker. I see I'll never live that down. The guy had all the promise in the world and no heart for the game. How was I supposed to know that after watching a few games on T.V.?
To this day, I still think back and see him as a poor man's Josh McRoberts...a really poor, can't find a nickle for a pack of crackers, rags on his feet for shoes version... of Josh McRoberts.

One other little story from back in the day...I remember when DBR was Juliovision too. In fact, I remember checking the domain name and saw that DukeBasketballReport.com was available. I briefly considered buying it just for fun, but instead sent either J or B an e-mail suggesting they get it...(can't remember which, maybe they do?).
I'm not sure whether my suggestion prompted them to go get it or not at the time, I'm sure they would have eventually, but just think about it...Wheat/"/"/" could have OWNED DBR! :)

Wheat - what were your thoughts on Ed Geth!?

I'm not sure I could live in a world where you owned DBR...

throatybeard
02-13-2011, 09:44 PM

I'm not sure I could live in a world where you owned DBR...

I'm not sure I could live in a world where Ed Geth anything.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-13-2011, 10:07 PM

Can't recall that I was ever all that impressed with Geth...I did enjoy watching Zwikker get the most of his limited skill set.

Geoff Crompton is another story....imagine the conversations around here if there had been an internet back in those days.....

superdave
02-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Can't recall that I was ever all that impressed with Geth...I did enjoy watching Zwikker get the most of his limited skill set.

Geoff Crompton is another story....imagine the conversations around here if there had been an internet back in those days.....

Crompton went to my high school in Burlington. I always heard stories about his appetite. Apparently Dean was not pleased when Crompton hit up room service on the road in addition to his team meals.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Crompton went to my high school in Burlington. I always heard stories about his appetite. Apparently Dean was not pleased when Crompton hit up room service on the road in addition to his team meals.

All Crompton ever needed to do was get in shape and he could have earned big bucks in the NBA for a long time. That guy could play, and he was huge...just plain fat as I remember. It was a shame.

hughgs
02-13-2011, 11:04 PM

When you find you are beating yourself up over Bersticker, think about what Jason Evans does when he's reminded about his predictions for Shavlik Randolph.

JasonEvans
02-14-2011, 08:15 AM
When you find you are beating yourself up over Bersticker, think about what Jason Evans does when he's reminded about his predictions for Shavlik Randolph.

Hey-- at least Shav made a couple million playing pro ball in the NBA.

Plus, my absurd prediction came after Shav had played 2 games and he looked like a world-beater after those games.

Still, I will never live it down and I deserve everything I get for it.

--Jason "20 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.5 bpg in his first 2 games... he looked like the best freshman big man in duke history... sigh" Evans

MulletMan
02-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Hey-- at least Shav made a couple million playing pro ball in the NBA.

Plus, my absurd prediction came after Shav had played 2 games and he looked like a world-beater after those games.

Still, I will never live it down and I deserve everything I get for it.

--Jason "20 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.5 bpg in his first 2 games... he looked like the best freshman big man in duke history... sigh" Evans

Don't worry Jason... there was no way you could have known he was playing with tennis balls in his shoes.

Viking Guy
02-14-2011, 04:23 PM
I thought those were the earflaps on his helmet.

That's what I thought initially, but on closer inspection it is pretty clear that we are looking at my lovely locks shortly before their demise in winter 2004.

throatybeard
02-16-2011, 03:17 PM
As long as we're self-indulgently caressing our lost youth and imagined glory, I must say that my great regret about the Pepsi 152 incident is, in retrospect, not that I made such a jackass of myself that night in 2004, but that it came to overshadow what I felt was my own best work in Cameron.

Back in 2002, Viking sort of loosely scheduled who was going to wear the gorilla suit when. Then he'd wash it between games, or at least he said he did. After Virginia in 2001, I said I'd do it again, but I insisted on having it for the Carolina game, since I didn't want to waste four kilos of sweat on a lesser rival. Carolina happened to stink like bulk-price garlic that year, but the atmosphere was still pretty hype, partly because it was the last home game for JWill, Boozer, and Christensen.

Since I had time to plan, I ordered a five-foot long inflatable banana from Chiquita. Who knew such glorious things existed?

We decided that, for the banana to achieve its maximal effect, it needed to be employed in a 1H foul shot distraction. (The band had the 2H foul shot distractions). Something I think people often don't realize is that the first row of grad students are nowhere near the foul shooter's view. He's looking at the front of the rim, which lines up with the heads of the people in about the fifth or sixth row of the south goal bleachers, I forget which. I was more svelte in those days, so these strapping young oxen including Viking and Mullet lifted the gorilla suit and its contents into the air such that one Mssr Capel was presented with a somewhat disgusting shooters' view upon addressing the foul line. I proceeded to wave the banana around in a most lascivious fashion. Quite slutty, I must admit.

Capel the Lesser bricked both foul shots.

My advisor happened to be watching this display on ABC from his comfortable exurban McMansion in Cary. Admissions standards to his program have subsequently risen.

Baldy
02-16-2011, 03:25 PM
As long as we're self-indulgently caressing our lost youth and imagined glory, I must say that my great regret about the Pepsi 152 incident is, in retrospect, not that I made such a jackass of myself that night in 2004, but that it came to overshadow what I felt was my own best work in Cameron.

Back in 2002, Viking sort of loosely scheduled who was going to wear the gorilla suit when. Then he'd wash it between games, or at least he said he did. After Virginia in 2001, I said I'd do it again, but I insisted on having it for the Carolina game, since I didn't want to waste four kilos of sweat on a lesser rival. Carolina happened to stink like bulk-price garlic that year, but the atmosphere was still pretty hype, partly because it was the last home game for JWill, Boozer, and Christensen.

Since I had time to plan, I ordered a five-foot long inflatable banana from Chiquita. Who knew such glorious things existed?

We decided that, for the banana to achieve its maximal effect, it needed to be employed in a 1H foul shot distraction. (The band had the 2H foul shot distractions). Something I think people often don't realize is that the first row of grad students are nowhere near the foul shooter's view. He's looking at the front of the rim, which lines up with the heads of the people in about the fifth or sixth row of the south goal bleachers, I forget which. I was more svelte in those days, so these strapping young oxen such as Viking and Mullet lifted the gorilla suit and its contents into the air such that one Mssr Capel was presented with a somewhat disgusting shooters' view upon addressing the foul line. I proceeded to wave the banana around in a most lascivious fashion. Quite slutty, I must admit.

My advisor happened to be watching this display on ABC from his comfortable exurban McMansion in Cary. Admissions standards to his program have subsequently risen.

I'd put that 2nd on my all-time list - after the debut of Speedo Guy (I'm still convinced that SG was responsible for all 6 of [whatinhell'shisname?]'s misses at the line that day - I think he was scared that SG would pop out of the band when he was at the line in the second half...) - you certainly were in fine form that day...

throatybeard
02-16-2011, 03:28 PM
I think Ray Felton was Speedo Guy's victim, but I'm only 80% sure about that.

Baldy
02-16-2011, 03:34 PM

I was thinking that it was 'Don't shoot' Jawad, but I'm only about 15-20% sure about it...

Duvall
02-16-2011, 03:35 PM

I wanna say it was Jackie Manuel. (Who shot a cool 59.8% from the FT line that year, but there's no need to dwell on that.)

MulletMan
02-16-2011, 03:36 PM
I was thinking that it was 'Don't shoot' Jawad, but I'm only about 15-20% sure about it...

You people are senile. The victim was Jackie Manuel. Mercifully, ESPN did not show the piece this year before the UNC game. Perhaps that is why its slipped your mind.

Baldy
02-16-2011, 03:44 PM
You people are senile. The victim was Jackie Manuel. Mercifully, ESPN did not show the piece this year before the UNC game. Perhaps that is why its slipped your mind.

Thanks Jeff - clearly my brain has turned to muck.

Duvall,

I believe Manuel shot 0 for 6 that day which would happen to a 59.8% shooter about 0.4% of the time...

throatybeard
02-16-2011, 04:13 PM
I think I was confusing it with the Doherty-faces in 2004. There was a picture in the DHS and I think it was Felton at the line that time.

Lord Ash
02-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Jackie seemed to get as much of a kick out of Speedo guy as the rest of us.

superdave
02-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Oh boy.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PEXG0mZKcw)

Baldy
02-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Jackie seemed to get as much of a kick out of Speedo guy as the rest of us.

I checked the box score - he was 0 for 5 (not 0-6) that day. So there's a 1% chance that he just missed 5 free throws in a row (assuming he shot 59.8% on the year) and a 99% chance that he couldn't get the image of speedo guy out of his head... (he was a good sport about it, but it clearly effected him).

Thanks for the video superdave - I hadn't seen that before. I was amazed at how smoothly the whole thing went given that we didn't start organizing it until about a half hour before we got into Cameron...

JBDuke
02-17-2011, 09:10 AM

We decided that, for the banana to achieve its maximal effect, it needed to be employed in a 1H foul shot distraction. (The band had the 2H foul shot distractions). Something I think people often don't realize is that the first row of grad students are nowhere near the foul shooter's view. He's looking at the front of the rim, which lines up with the heads of the people in about the fifth or sixth row of the south goal bleachers, I forget which. I was more svelte in those days, so these strapping young oxen including Viking and Mullet lifted the gorilla suit and its contents into the air such that one Mssr Capel was presented with a somewhat disgusting shooters' view upon addressing the foul line. I proceeded to wave the banana around in a most lascivious fashion. Quite slutty, I must admit.

Thanks for sharing this story, TB. I hadn't heard the whole thing before, and you had me laughing so hard, tears started flowing.

Oh, how I wish we had video of this to complement the Speedo Guy video that's posted just above in this thread. Your moment of glory!

MulletMan
02-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Oh boy.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PEXG0mZKcw)

Why? Why would you do that. :p

throatybeard
02-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Oh, how I wish we had video of this to complement the Speedo Guy video that's posted just above in this thread. Your moment of glory!

There is probably a VHS tape of the ABC telecast in my storage locker or in my parents' basement. I may try to dig this up one day.