PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB 2008-09 Schedule

DukieBoy
03-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Does anyone know where i can find some kind of schedule, if it's out yet, for next yr. And does anyone know if we have some tough opponents this year. We need more tough road games next year.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-25-2008, 11:04 PM
I don't think the basketball schedules for next year are released this far in advance. When they are released, you can find the new schedules on goduke.com.

wisteria
03-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Does anyone know where i can find some kind of schedule, if it's out yet, for next yr. And does anyone know if we have some tough opponents this year. We need more tough road games next year.

I would think it's too early for a schedule.

I don't think we played cupcake OOC games. But I too would like to see some road games. I understand that tournament games are supposed to be neutral court games. But in reality, really? Almost the whole Verizon center was pro-Belmont. I don't blame the fans. Who wouldn't root for the underdogs?

pfrduke
03-25-2008, 11:17 PM
The schedule is released on the third Friday in August.

In terms of road games, it's our year to be on the road in the ACC/Big 10 challenge (although there's always a chance it'll be at a neutral site), and the series with Georgetown is supposed to resume, with the game being at Georgetown.

wisteria
03-25-2008, 11:23 PM
The schedule is released on the third Friday in August.

In terms of road games, it's our year to be on the road in the ACC/Big 10 challenge (although there's always a chance it'll be at a neutral site), and the series with Georgetown is supposed to resume, with the game being at Georgetown.

Good to hear. Thanks.

DukieBoy
03-25-2008, 11:25 PM
one more question...in the acc/big 10, do we play wisconsin at their place or do we rotate again?

wisteria
03-25-2008, 11:27 PM
one more question...in the acc/big 10, do we play wisconsin at their place or do we rotate again?

I would think we play wisconsin again, right? It's gonna be a good game.

pfrduke
03-25-2008, 11:30 PM

I don't think we automatically go home and home, but it would not surprise me to see us make a trip to the Kohl Center.

Jumbo
03-25-2008, 11:34 PM

It's not a home-and-home. The conferences decide on the matchups each year.

wisteria
03-25-2008, 11:35 PM
It's not a home-and-home. The conferences decide on the matchups each year.

Thanks. Because UNC and OSU had home-and-home, even when Ohio State is clearly not of the same caliber. I thought it's supposed to home-and-home.

DukieBoy
03-25-2008, 11:42 PM
i'd like to see a road game at purdue or wisconsin to give us a test...maybe iu if gordon stays, which is highly unlikely. Ohio State might be semi-difficult also...if the georgetown rivalry renews then that should be a good road test. Another tourney at the beginning of they year with some top teams could be helpful to

blazindw
03-25-2008, 11:47 PM
I think we had an arranged home and home with Michigan State, with the games taking place during the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. That said, I usually thought they matched (for the most part) teams in the order they finished in the conferences the year before. For example, UNC and Ohio Snake played each other this year after finishing first in their conferences last year.

That said, I think we will either play 'sconsin in Madison or perhaps a Michigan Snake at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

wisteria
03-25-2008, 11:47 PM
i'd like to see a road game at purdue or wisconsin to give us a test...maybe iu if gordon stays, which is highly unlikely. Ohio State might be semi-difficult also...if the georgetown rivalry renews then that should be a good road test. Another tourney at the beginning of they year with some top teams could be helpful to

I heard something about a pre-season tourney, "coach and cancer" or something like that?

Jumbo
03-26-2008, 12:34 AM
I heard something about a pre-season tourney, "coach and cancer" or something like that?

Yup, that's the one -- one of the two NYC tourneys.

Cameron
03-26-2008, 01:03 AM
or perhaps a Michigan Snake at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Last time we played MSU, we played in the Breslin Center. Not sure why we would go to a neutral site this time around, but perhaps. The last time we played at a non-campus location for the event, however, was six seasons ago, against Ohio State in Greensboro. I certainly wouldn't mind a game at the Palace, though, as I would make the short trip up I-75 for sure.

Another place I would LOVE to go would be Ohio State's Schottenstein Center. Oh yes, it would be wonderfully contenting to pound in the nice people of Columbus...

Interesting side note on the ACC-Big Ten Challenge: As everyone knows, Duke absolutely dominates this event. We are 9-0 all-time, including a near 14 PPG spread over our Big Ten rivals since 2000 (with this season's 24 point drubbing of potential Final Four participant Wisconsin being the largest margin of victory)

nyr484
03-26-2008, 03:19 AM
The game against Georgetown should be interesting. I'd like to see E-Will dunk on Monroe.

I think we're also supposed to make a trip up to play the University of Michigan. I remember reading something earlier this season about plans to start a series now that Amaker isn't there anymore. Does anyone else remember reading about that?

Cameron
03-26-2008, 08:51 AM
^^Yep, I do believe you are right and that we will be playing up at Chrysler. I will be attending that one (if it is correct). I was in the building the last time we played there, a game that resulted in Jason Williams' smack down of all those "F*** Duke" t-shirts that were circulating and his then career high of 35 points. I believe we started that game off on a 29-4 run:D

We need that back. We used to absolutely HAMMER teams. What a fun year 2001-02 was. Screw Tom Coverall and his ONE basket in 40 minutes.

pfrduke
03-26-2008, 11:05 AM
^^Yep, I do believe you are right and that we will be playing up at Chrysler. I will be attending that one (if it is correct). I was in the building the last time we played there, a game that resulted in Jason Williams' smack down of all those "F*** Duke" t-shirts that were circulating and his then career high of 35 points. I believe we started that game off on a 29-4 run:D

We need that back. We used to absolutely HAMMER teams. What a fun year 2001-02 was. Screw Tom Coverall and his ONE basket in 40 minutes.

I think you're slightly confusing the 01-02 Michigan game with the 00-01 Michigan game at home, where the run to open the game was 34-2.

EDIT: Actually, I just read the recap of the 01-02 game, and we did start on a 29-4 run. So in back to back years against Michigan, we started a combined 63-6. Ha!

astoria26
03-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Duke will be in the 2K Sports Coaches vs Cancer tournament, with the final 2 games playing in Madison Square Garden. Our first game is likely to be vs. Presbyterian, which is a new DI school that just joined this year, I think. Here's the tentative schedule:

11/10 – 11/13 regional game #1 – vs Presbyterian (ESPNU)
11/11 – 11/14 regional game #2 – vs ? (ESPNU)
11/20 semi-final game in MSG
11/21 championship game in MSG
11/25? at Wisconsin for acc/big10 challenge
12/xx at Michigan?

Then in the ACC, we play UNC, MD, Wake, VT, and Florida St 2x.

IUGrad03
03-26-2008, 07:49 PM

I will be there too (I work at the UM Cancer Center.) I would be thrilled if they played MSU as well. Two Duke games in one year!

gofurman
03-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Duke will be in the 2K Sports Coaches vs Cancer tournament, with the final 2 games playing in Madison Square Garden. Our first game is likely to be vs. Presbyterian, which is a new DI school that just joined this year, I think. Here's the tentative schedule:

12/xx at Michigan?

UNC and Maryland are givens but the random Wake, VT, and FSU will be
hard, hard, easy respectively. Not an easy ACC schedule.

geraldsneighbor
03-26-2008, 10:01 PM
I believe we should go make a west coast swing and take on an Arizona or Oregon possible a UCLA. I think that'd be a fun little set of games. Would we open with Presb? or would we host Central again and beat them again by 70?

MulletMan
03-26-2008, 10:42 PM
I believe we should go make a west coast swing and take on an Arizona or Oregon possible a UCLA. I think that'd be a fun little set of games.

Would you like to head out there for a game next year, or would you like us to go out there two years in a row? Because I have news for you, none of those teams are willing to come to Cameron. Nor is Kansas, nor is Kentucky. The only way that we get to play teams like this OOC is in the preseason tourneys or at a neutral site game.

IStillHateJimBain
03-27-2008, 09:50 AM

I think it's CRISLER Arena, named after a former Michigan football coach.

Cameron
03-27-2008, 01:33 PM
I think it's CRISLER Arena, named after a former Michigan football coach.

Wow, my mistake. And here I thought the arena was named after a car. Lol. Shows you how much I know about all things Michigan.

Cameron
03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
I think you're slightly confusing the 01-02 Michigan game with the 00-01 Michigan game at home, where the run to open the game was 34-2.

EDIT: Actually, I just read the recap of the 01-02 game, and we did start on a 29-4 run. So in back to back years against Michigan, we started a combined 63-6. Ha!

Oh, I wouldn't forget it! As soon as we jumped out to a 29-4 lead with a Jason triple from the corner (I believe), and UM went to a quick timeout, I pulled out my camera and took a picture of the scoreboard. As the camera flashed, I looked over to the person who was seated beside me and said, "This is great, isn't it?" (Said person was in a yellow Wolverine cap:)).

Great memories.

Cornellian
03-27-2008, 02:04 PM
I heard about a year ago when Cornell scheduled the game with Duke that Cornell was trying to get Duke to visit Ithaca so Paulus could play close to home. Doubtful this deal was accepted by Duke.

Does anyone know if Duke is visiting either Syracuse or even Cornell so Paulus can play a game in upstate NY?

crimsonandblue
03-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Would you like to head out there for a game next year, or would you like us to go out there two years in a row? Because I have news for you, none of those teams are willing to come to Cameron. Nor is Kansas, nor is Kentucky. The only way that we get to play teams like this OOC is in the preseason tourneys or at a neutral site game.

That's not what I've heard. Now, I doubt we're anxious to head there next year (we lose 5 seniors and likely at least another junior and soph), but I'd be willing to bet we'd play home and home and I've heard we tried in the recent past. Our downside is lower.

Jumbo
03-27-2008, 02:44 PM
That's not what I've heard. Now, I doubt we're anxious to head there next year (we lose 5 seniors and likely at least another junior and soph), but I'd be willing to bet we'd play home and home and I've heard we tried in the recent past. Our downside is lower.

Well, someone is spinning it wrong, because like Mr. Mullet, I've heard Duke made no progress trying to get Kansas to come to Cameron. I don't know how Kansas' downside is lower, either.

SilkyJ
03-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks. Because UNC and OSU had home-and-home, even when Ohio State is clearly not of the same caliber. I thought it's supposed to home-and-home.

they do home and home's a lot..i guess to try and make it "fair"

before we played wisc. (going in reverse chronological) we had a home and home with Indiana...and before that I believe we had a home and home with Mich St...then there were a couple (i think 2) when we played two diff teams and then before that was a home and home with illinois...so 6 out of 8 challenges before Wisc. we played the home and home, so to speak.

SilkyJ
03-27-2008, 05:55 PM

I think Ohio Snake (love it D-Wine) would be more than just semi-difficult next year. They were a legit team, but just super inexperienced after they lost Oden/Conley/Cook and a senior or two. And they have some good recruits coming in for next year as well.

12/xx at Michigan?

I thought there was a new NCAA rule that says you can only play in 2(ish) pre-season tournaments every 4(ish) years. I'm foggy on the #'s but I thought it basically meant you could rarely play back-to-back pre season tournaments and if IIRC, we played in one Last year (where we lost to Marquette in the championship) as well as this year (Maui, where we beat marquette in the championship). so this would be THREE pre-season tourneys in a row. Again I'm foggy on the #'s but that doesn't sound right.

Also, I thought coaches vs. cancer was in early-mid december? or is that the jimmy v classic?

nyr484
03-27-2008, 06:12 PM
I thought there was a new NCAA rule that says you can only play in 2(ish) pre-season tournaments every 4(ish) years.

That was the old rule, which was 2 exempt tournaments every 4 years. (Exempt means the tournament counts as only 1 game even though it might end being as many as 4 games.)

Under the new rule, which was enacted before the 2006-2007 season, teams can play in pre-season tournaments every year if they want. The only restriction is that you can't play in the same tournament twice in a four year period. (i.e. Duke can't play in Maui until 2011).

Here's an article about it from ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=whelliston_kyle&id=2959948).

crimsonandblue
03-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, someone is spinning it wrong, because like Mr. Mullet, I've heard Duke made no progress trying to get Kansas to come to Cameron. I don't know how Kansas' downside is lower, either.

More like Kansas has a bigger upside, since Duke is the bigger media draw in bigger markets that we want to get into for recruiting. Probably not a big difference and would be a big deal for either program.

Anyway, I don't know who's spinning. I know we play on lots of people's home floors out of conference, so I don't know why we wouldn't go to Duke, other than the obvious; that Duke's better than most. Probably just two athletics departments playing who's the alpha dog.

geraldsneighbor
03-27-2008, 09:06 PM
The game couldn't be at Cornell because its not a big enough venue. I'm not so sure about Cuse either because we seem to be loaded in road games. Paulus played at Buffalo in the NCAA's, obviously a forgettable night. Maybe we would play Cornell at the HSBC Arena where we played VCU.

MulletMan
03-27-2008, 09:29 PM
More like Kansas has a bigger upside, since Duke is the bigger media draw in bigger markets that we want to get into for recruiting. Probably not a big difference and would be a big deal for either program.

Anyway, I don't know who's spinning. I know we play on lots of people's home floors out of conference, so I don't know why we wouldn't go to Duke, other than the obvious; that Duke's better than most. Probably just two athletics departments playing who's the alpha dog.

Away OOC games
2007-8
USC
Georgia Tech
Boston College

2006-7
Florida (#1 UF)
USC (the other one)

2005-6
Chaminade

2004-5
UK

2003-4
TCU
Stanford
Nevada

2002-3
Oregon
Tulsa
Cal

2001-2
Arizona
Princeton
North Dakota

So yeah, you've played a few teams, but I think that you can admit that none of those schools really have quite the rep of homecourt advantage that Duke has, right?

Jumbo
03-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Away OOC games
2007-8
USC
Georgia Tech
Boston College

2006-7
Florida (#1 UF)
USC (the other one)

2005-6
Chaminade

2004-5
UK

2003-4
TCU
Stanford
Nevada

2002-3
Oregon
Tulsa
Cal

2001-2
Arizona
Princeton
North Dakota

So yeah, you've played a few teams, but I think that you can admit that none of those schools really have quite the rep of homecourt advantage that Duke has, right?

Who does? That said, Florida and Stanford, in particular, are wild environments.

MulletMan
03-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Who does? That said, Florida and Stanford, in particular, are wild environments.

Why must you torment me.

My point would be that KU is scurd to come into Cameron.

(Oh and Jumbo, re: our conversation earlier, I'm at -1):D

dukemsu
03-27-2008, 10:21 PM
I think we had an arranged home and home with Michigan State, with the games taking place during the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. That said, I usually thought they matched (for the most part) teams in the order they finished in the conferences the year before. For example, UNC and Ohio Snake played each other this year after finishing first in their conferences last year.

That said, I think we will either play 'sconsin in Madison or perhaps a Michigan Snake at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

I hope it's not MSU. The games in this mini-rivalry have taken years off of my life.

That might be a tad dramatic. But you get the point. A memory that stands out is when Duke came to the Breslin and beat State by 20+, on the night the Spartans decided to debut their "third" jersey, an awful looking silver-gray number.

State has never worn the silver-gray again.

pless55
03-27-2008, 11:04 PM
I think we should play Texas in Madison Square Garden again as I think that would be very good game especially if Augustin returns. Hopefully we would blow them out like we did a few years ago.

pless55
03-27-2008, 11:05 PM
I think the Georgetown game will be a good one too with Georgetown reloading. They will still be good with Summers, Wright, Freeman and Macklin plus a stellar recruiting class. I think we could pull out a close win.

Ignatius07
03-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Make no mistake - Georgetown will be very good next year, in my opinion better than this year (I thought they were overrated this year). Losing Hibbert/Wallace is nothing like losing Green, their considerable recruiting gets will have another year's seasoning, a healthy Chris Wright, and Greg Monroe. I really hope we play them, as it will be a good test.

geraldsneighbor
03-27-2008, 11:34 PM
I guess that means back to the Verizon Center for me.

IUGrad03
03-28-2008, 01:03 AM
I hope it's not MSU. The games in this mini-rivalry have taken years off of my life.

That might be a tad dramatic. But you get the point. A memory that stands out is when Duke came to the Breslin and beat State by 20+, on the night the Spartans decided to debut their "third" jersey, an awful looking silver-gray number.

State has never worn the silver-gray again.

Do I take it you're a Michigander as well? I had no idea there were so many of us on this board.

geraldsneighbor
04-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Coaches vs. Cancer

anything else definite please add here.
thanks!

Jumbo
04-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Coaches vs. Cancer

anything else definite please add here.
thanks!

Please use the search function before starting a thread. There is another one already dedicated to this. I'll find it and merge these posts.

BlueintheFace
04-15-2008, 11:24 AM
I think it would be beneficial for the board if we have a thread to update confirmed games for next year. We now know that Duke will be @ Purdue for the ACC/ Big10 challenge... please add other (obviously non-acc) games/tournaments that Duke has committed to for next year here...

Ignatius07
04-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Is Duke at Purdue confirmed? That will be a huge early season match-up.

pfrduke
04-15-2008, 12:26 PM
I think it would be beneficial for the board if we have a thread to update confirmed games for next year. We now know that Duke will be @ Purdue for the ACC/ Big10 challenge... please add other (obviously non-acc) games/tournaments that Duke has committed to for next year here...

Committed to the Coaches v. Cancer. Also, I'm pretty positive that the Georgetown series will resume, and it will resume at Georgetown.

Jumbo
04-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Yup, that's a heck of a schedule so far. People are going to have to find something new to complain about. Duke will have road games at Purdue and Georgetown and a chance to play UCLA or Pitt (and maybe both) in the Coaches vs. Cancer tourney. I'm pretty sure we'll see Davidsona again, we should have our usual group of strong mid-majors, and we'll have to see if K schedules the annual NY/NJ game, considering we're already playing at the Garden for Coaches vs. Cancer and St. John's.

Ignatius07
04-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Yup, that's a heck of a schedule so far. People are going to have to find something new to complain about. Duke will have road games at Purdue and Georgetown and a chance to play UCLA or Pitt (and maybe both) in the Coaches vs. Cancer tourney. I'm pretty sure we'll see Davidsona again, we should have our usual group of strong mid-majors, and we'll have to see if K schedules the annual NY/NJ game, considering we're already playing at the Garden for Coaches vs. Cancer and St. John's.

I'm pretty sure some people will still complain. I can see it now: They will say that the Purdue game doesn't count because it wasn't scheduled by us, and C vs. C doesn't count because we don't know the exact match-ups. Then everybody will forget by the end of the year that we played a great mid-major early on that ended up making the Elite 8.

geraldsneighbor
04-15-2008, 03:21 PM
If we make the final 4, they can say whatever they want. I'm done caring about what other teams do in January. Just have to take care of our own business.

Olympic Fan
04-15-2008, 07:35 PM
So to sum up what we know or can guess about the 2008-09 non-conference schedule:

Road games:
-- at Purdue (ACC-Big Ten Challenge)
-- at Michigan
-- at Georgetown
-- at St. John's

Home games
-- Davidson
-- Temple
-- Presbyterian (opener of the Coaches vs. Cancer)
-- Second-round Coaches vs. Cancer

Neutral games
-- two Coaches vs.Cancer (with UCLA and Pitt possibilities) in New York
-- unknown team in pre-Christmas showcase either at MSG in New York or the Meadowlands (when Duke played in a preseason NIT in New York in 2005-6, they moved the pre=Christmas game with Texas to the Meadowlands)

That's 11 non-conference games ... this past season Duke played 14 non-ACC regular season games. That included three exempt games in Hawaii. Not sure, but that SHOULD mean 15 non-ACC games in 2008-09 (four exempt games in the Coaches. vs. Cancer Classic).

-- I think NCCU will be back on the schedule -- after this past year's game, both coaches said they want to continue the series. It's bad for Duke's RPI, but good for local PR.

-- There will almost certainly be an Ivy League team visiting Cameron. K schedules one almost every year, almost always at home

-- Michigan is also in the Coaches vs. Cancer event ... that won't stop Duke from fulfilling its home-and-home contract. In 2000-01, Duke faced Temple in the finals of the presseason NIT, then played them again eight days later in a regularly scheduled game in Philly. Back in 1994-94, Duke faced Georgia Tech in a non-conference game in the Rainbowl Classic, then played them twice in ACC play.

While the schedule won't be officially announced until mid-August, keep at eye out and the various non-conference games will fill in -- when a mid-major team gets a game with Duke, they almost always break it before Duke releases its schedule.

geraldsneighbor
04-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Also a possible game vs a Patriot League Team (Bucknell, Holy Cross or American) and a game against an America East opponent.

bradjenk
04-15-2008, 10:05 PM
So to sum up what we know or can guess about the 2008-09 non-conference schedule:

Road games:
-- at Purdue (ACC-Big Ten Challenge)
-- at Michigan
-- at Georgetown
-- at St. John's

Home games
-- Davidson
-- Temple
-- Presbyterian (opener of the Coaches vs. Cancer)
-- Second-round Coaches vs. Cancer

Neutral games
-- two Coaches vs.Cancer (with UCLA and Pitt possibilities) in New York
-- unknown team in pre-Christmas showcase either at MSG in New York or the Meadowlands (when Duke played in a preseason NIT in New York in 2005-6, they moved the pre=Christmas game with Texas to the Meadowlands)

That's 11 non-conference games ... this past season Duke played 14 non-ACC regular season games. That included three exempt games in Hawaii. Not sure, but that SHOULD mean 15 non-ACC games in 2008-09 (four exempt games in the Coaches. vs. Cancer Classic).

-- I think NCCU will be back on the schedule -- after this past year's game, both coaches said they want to continue the series. It's bad for Duke's RPI, but good for local PR.

-- There will almost certainly be an Ivy League team visiting Cameron. K schedules one almost every year, almost always at home

-- Michigan is also in the Coaches vs. Cancer event ... that won't stop Duke from fulfilling its home-and-home contract. In 2000-01, Duke faced Temple in the finals of the presseason NIT, then played them again eight days later in a regularly scheduled game in Philly. Back in 1994-94, Duke faced Georgia Tech in a non-conference game in the Rainbowl Classic, then played them twice in ACC play.

While the schedule won't be officially announced until mid-August, keep at eye out and the various non-conference games will fill in -- when a mid-major team gets a game with Duke, they almost always break it before Duke releases its schedule.
That looks tough enough. I actually would like to see more balance in our schedule like we seemed to have before the last few seasons. The recent trend has been to load the schedule with top mid-major teams at home, play the toughies on neutral courts and/or in tournaments, and have almost no cupcakes. The problem with that can be that by the end of the year almost every game we have played has been a dogfight, and although it toughens the team it may be wearing them down mentally. I like the 2-3 tough road games in non conference to prepare for that atmosphere we will see in the ACC. I also like the neutral court games for that experience. After that, I think 4-5 cupcakes at home is OK. It just might help establish some confidence in say, Thomas/Zoubek/Czyz and also give the guys a few nights without being in a life or death game situation. I'm not trying to be critical, just looking for answers to the recent poor finishes when the team seems to be mentally exhausted.

Brad

geraldsneighbor
04-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Davidson, Purdue, Georgetown seem like the 3 tough game your talking about. Then you will have another great test in the Garden against UCLA or Pitt. Also, remember the team does get 2 weeks off in late December for the holidays, so they can refresh then. If anything the lack of size and emphasis on tight man to man defense is whats to blame for our sluggish endings. Not a tough schedule.

bradjenk
04-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Davidson, Purdue, Georgetown seem like the 3 tough game your talking about. Then you will have another great test in the Garden against UCLA or Pitt. Also, remember the team does get 2 weeks off in late December for the holidays, so they can refresh then. If anything the lack of size and emphasis on tight man to man defense is whats to blame for our sluggish endings. Not a tough schedule.
With all due respect, 2008 is the first year without a good inside player (S.Williams in 2005-2006, McRoberts in 2007 was no hack - he was 2nd team All-ACC) and I always thought tight man to man defense was a good thing. As for the 2 week break, so does almost everyone else and we had a big one this past year. To add to the mental fatigue angle I think Duke faces another challenge. I think the constant media/fan attention wears on the players too. Opponents (and their fans) NEVER take the night off against Duke. I just wonder if a few laughers might ease the burden. I don't want a soft schedule just a little more balanced.

I also wonder if it wouldn't be better to take a mini break during the conference schedule like all the other teams do. We always save our St. John's/Temple CBS game until near the end of the year, giving up our open weekend/week in the conference that everyone else gets. Starting the 1st full week of January we always go 2 games a week for the rest of the year. I don't think anyone else does. I know TV is the decider but UNC is as big a draw and they always have an open date to recharge. Why can't Duke?

geraldsneighbor
04-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Good point, I never really thought about it. The St. John's game this year fell after two tough losses, so maybe a rest would have served well.

bradjenk
04-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Good point, I never really thought about it. The St. John's game this year fell after two tough losses, so maybe a rest would have served well.
On the other hand - to play my own (blue) devil's advocate, it used to not bother us. In fact, it was looked at as an opportunity for Coach K to see how teams from outside the league viewed how to play us. It seemed like good logical tournament prep. Maybe the difference is that now basically every game is on one of the ESPN networks, even in November. With that plus the pressure of trying to live up to the Duke tradition and dealing with the Duke haters, it's no wonder the season can wear out these kids. That's why I never blame the players if they get mentally drained. I just want to look at the circumstances and see if there could be ways to help them. I'm sure the coaching staff does too.

Classof06
04-16-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm pretty sure some people will still complain. I can see it now: They will say that the Purdue game doesn't count because it wasn't scheduled by us, and C vs. C doesn't count because we don't know the exact match-ups. Then everybody will forget by the end of the year that we played a great mid-major early on that ended up making the Elite 8.

As someone who's complained about the schedule in years past (playing our first true road game on January 8th last season is ridiculous anyway you look at it), I'm thoroughly impressed with the way the 08-09 schedule is shaping up. Not that Duke's worried about my opinion but it's certainly looking the way it should every year.

Ignatius07
04-16-2008, 03:40 PM
I actually meant that more toward opposing fans or sportswriters (I can't remember who, but there was somebody who wrote a poor argument about Duke's scheduling), as I too thought our scheduling has been weak recently. But I do think it is fair to take into account the ACC/Big 10 Challenge and preseason tournaments when assessing a team's intentions in scheduling.

geraldsneighbor
04-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Also, with such a bulk in upper-classmen now I think this current cast will grow into accepting the pressure of being the nation's most hated team. When you have a team thats made up of players who are freshman and sophomores and not currently that one and done or two and through talent, it will drain them mentally. This is the first year we get to really look at if Duke's most recent recruiting plan of finding a team built around 4 year players will work. If all goes well, we could have 2 studs in the starting 5. We will have experience at the point guard, and a savy experienced off-guard. If we can put it all together, the schedule won't be a big deal.

heath_harshman4
06-16-2008, 02:32 PM
When does the 08-09 Schedule come out? Interesting to see who we play twice compared to the others. And what non-conference Tourney's if any, that we attend.

Classof06
06-16-2008, 02:47 PM
When does the 08-09 Schedule come out? Interesting to see who we play twice compared to the others. And what non-conference Tourney's if any, that we attend.

The ACC schedule hasn't been made yet and the full schedule won't be released until August, if I'm not mistaken.

All we know so far is what's been released as far as out of conference games. I know we have home games against Davidson and Georgetown and a game with St. Johns that I'm guessing is in NYC. We also play in the Coaches vs. Cancer classic which will have us playing in Madison Square Garden at some point.

And we play Xavier in the Izod Center (formerly Continental Airlines Arena), home of the New Jersey Nets. No official date has been released for the game yet.

pfrduke
06-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Every season the schedule comes out on the third Friday in August. Put a note in your calendar - mark it as an annual holiday - Schedule Day. This year, the schedule will be announced on August 15. They say an early Schedule Day means a light winter and especially hot temperatures in Chapel Hell.

CameronCrazy'11
06-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Also we're playing Purdue, at their home I believe

quickgtp
06-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Yes I think we are playing at Purdue for the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. You have to feel bad for IU in the challenge next year with all of the players they lost!

Highlander
06-16-2008, 04:06 PM
And we play Xavier in the Izod Center (formerly Continental Airlines Arena)...

Is that aka "The Meadowlands?" If so, I like our chances in that building...

Rich
06-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Wow...three games in the NY metro area!?

Wander
06-16-2008, 08:43 PM
You have to feel bad for IU in the challenge next year with all of the players they lost!

I feel bad for Indiana when they play their local community college in an exhibition game.

heath_harshman4
06-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Every season the schedule comes out on the third Friday in August. Put a note in your calendar - mark it as an annual holiday - Schedule Day. This year, the schedule will be announced on August 15. They say an early Schedule Day means a light winter and especially hot temperatures in Chapel Hell.

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks Much!

gw67
06-17-2008, 01:27 PM
The ACC-Big Ten Challenge is as follows. As someone previously mentioned, the Devils play at Purdue.

Monday, Dec. 1
Wisconsin at Virginia Tech

Tuesday, Dec. 2
Ohio State at Miami
Clemson at Illinois
Duke at Purdue
Virginia at Minnesota
Iowa at Boston College

Wednesday, Dec. 3
Indiana at Wake Forest
Penn State at Georgia Tech
North Carolina vs. Michigan State (Ford Field, Detroit, MI)
Florida State at Northwestern
Michigan at Maryland

gw67

DU82
06-17-2008, 06:14 PM
The preliminary schedule has us playing Georgia Southern in the first round, and then against Presbyterian or Houston. These are on Nov. 10 and 11 in Cameron. The winner of the mini-tournament heads to MSG on Nov. 20 and 21. UCLA and Michigan are set as other hosts, and it looked like Pitt would be the fourth, but it now looks like Rutgers will be the fourth host, with Pitt going to another mini-tournament finishing in the new arena in Newark.

duke2x
06-17-2008, 11:26 PM
That's a pretty good bracket in Cameron for the 2K Classic. I had read that we would open with Presbyterian instead of GSU. GSU finished 2nd in the Southern Conf. behind Davidson, and they weren't an easy out in '06-'07. Houston has beaten the bubble versions of UK and 'Zona in Houston recently.

Everyone gets 11 non-conference games + an exempt tournament (2K this year).

Home: 2k, Davidson, Georgetown,
Away: St. John's, Purdue
Neutral: 2k (if we win), Xavier

Possible games: Temple (series would need to renew home-home), at Michigan, 4 TBD (maybe 1 in the Greensboro Coliseum since the 1st 2 rounds are there).

socaldukie
06-27-2008, 07:22 PM
here is the link:

http://www.wral.com/sports/basketball/ncaa/story/3112399/

RelativeWays
06-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Its funny that they were on my College Hoops 2K8 schedule for 08-09 season, only 1st week in December instead of November. Duke won by 30 in the game BTW. The Duquesne mascot looks like Count Dracula.

shadowfax336
06-28-2008, 12:31 AM
according to Chris Lowery, SIU is replacing Pitt in the CVC

http://www.thesouthern.com/articles/2008/06/14/sports/24798191.txt

duke2x
07-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Schedule recap: (official in bold)

11/10-14: 2k Classic (GSU, Presybterian, Houston)
11/16: Rhode Island
11/20-21: 2k Classic (TBD)
11/28: Duquense
12/2: at Purdue
12/6: at Michigan
12/20: Xavier at MSG
1/7: Davidson
1/17: Georgetown
2/18: at St. John's

Other potential matchups (3): 3 TBD, probably 1 more in November, 1 before XU, and 1 immediately after Christmas.

shadowfax336
07-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Thats 2 games in january that are no gimmes at all. Certainly an interesting choice in the middle of the ACC schedule.

I'll certainly be excited to come back early for the Davidson game though. Much more exciting than Cornell last year, and hopefully less painful than Vtech the year before that

Wags
07-04-2008, 11:43 AM
My friend who plays for Montana said they are playing Duke at Cameron sometime around Thanksgiving. I am from Montana and I didn't believe him because I thought if Duke played small schools they usually scheduled teams that had a lot of upperclassmen. He said they signed the contract though so I'm jacked. If his family doesn't go to the game then me and a buddy get the tickets. It seems a little weird to fly from Montana to the East coast to watch a two hour basketball game but I think it would be worth it. If you see two college kids decked out in Duke clothes and sitting in the middle of the Montana fans thats me and my buddy haha.

Davidson09
07-05-2008, 04:33 PM
It certainly is interesting to see Duke-Davidson that late. Is there any way to confirm this, or this is purely speculation?

watzone
07-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Purdue is in the 2kC

CameronCrazy'11
07-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Purdue is in the 2kC

does that mean that we could end up playing them twice?

DisplacedBlueDevil
07-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Here are this year's matchups:

2008 ACC/Big Ten Challenge Schedule:
Monday, Dec. 1
Wisconsin at Virginia Tech

Tuesday, Dec. 2
Duke at Purdue
Clemson at Illinois
Ohio State at Miami
Virginia at Minnesota
Iowa at Boston College

Wednesday, Dec. 3
North Carolina vs. Michigan State (Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan)
Indiana at Wake Forest
Michigan at Maryland
Florida State at Northwestern
Penn State at Georgia Tech

I'll be at Ford Field rooting for the Spartans!

duke2x
07-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Bumped for a schedule recap:

11/10-14: 2k Classic (GSU, Presybterian, Houston)
11/16: Rhode Island
11/20-21: 2k Classic (TBD)
11/23: Montana
11/28: Duquense
12/2: at Purdue
12/6: at Michigan
12/17: UNC-A
12/20: Xavier at MSG
1/7: Davidson
1/17: Georgetown
2/18: at St. John's

Other potential matchups: 1 TBD, probably 1 immediately after Christmas as a tune-up for the ACC opener.

geraldsneighbor
07-21-2008, 03:22 PM
I though the Xavier game was to be played at the Izod Center in the Meadowlands?

Bob Green
07-21-2008, 04:20 PM
I though the Xavier game was to be played at the Izod Center in the Meadowlands?

You are correct. We play Xavier at the Meadowlands not MSG. The Nov. 20-21 games of the 2K Classic are at MSG as is the game @ St. John's.

BLUEDEVILS
07-21-2008, 05:20 PM
A great year to play Georgetown. A huge rebuilding year for them, so it should be a pretty easy game for us.

Bay Area Duke Fan
07-21-2008, 06:56 PM
It looks to me like another soft out-of-conference schedule for Duke. Why can't we play a few against top perennial powers like UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, UConn, Michigan State, Memphis, Florida, etc. ? It would make the pre-season games a lot more exciting than games against the so-called "mid-majors." But we all know that's not gonna happen.

Bob Green
07-21-2008, 07:01 PM
It looks to me like another soft out-of-conference schedule for Duke. Why can't we play a few against top perennial powers like UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, UConn, Michigan State, Memphis, Florida, etc. ?

We could possibly face UCLA in MSG 20-21 November depending upon how the Coaches vs. Cancer games unfold. We also face Purdue (Preseason Top 10) in the ACC/Big Ten challenge. Georgetown and Davidson are showing up in the various pre-season Top 25 polls. Therefore, I wouldn't classify our OOC schedule as soft.

mo.st.dukie
07-21-2008, 07:41 PM
It looks to me like another soft out-of-conference schedule for Duke. Why can't we play a few against top perennial powers like UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, UConn, Michigan State, Memphis, Florida, etc. ? It would make the pre-season games a lot more exciting than games against the so-called "mid-majors." But we all know that's not gonna happen.

Most top teams have a schedule that consists of several mid-majors with 3-5 games against BCS conference teams/top 25 teams. Since I haven't heard much about other teams schedules next year lets look at last years OOC schedule for the FF teams counting the number of BCS teams they play, not all were top 25.

UNC: teams from power conferences: Kentucky, Oh. St., Rutgers the rest were all mid-majors, of course Davidson was top 25.
KU: power conference teams: Georgia Tech, BC, Arizona, USC
Memphis: played the most power conference teams of course their conference was very weak: OU, UCONN, USC, Cin, Gtown, Arizona
UCLA: Maryland, Mich St, Texas, Mich (played Davidson as well).

Playing four top 25 teams (UCLA assuming both get to the finals, Purdue, G'town, Davidson) along with other teams from BCS conferences (Mich., St. Johns) is a pretty decent schedule. The strength of the schedule is found in the quality of mid-majors that a team plays. Most power teams don't play more than five other power/top 25 teams in their non-conference.

Wander
07-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Why can't we play a few against top perennial powers like UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, UConn, Michigan State, Memphis, Florida, etc. ? It would make the pre-season games a lot more exciting than games against the so-called "mid-majors."

Georgetown and Purdue will likely be better than Kansas, Kentucky, and Florida, and could very well be on par with UConn, Michigan State, Louisville, and Memphis. Davidson and Xavier could also be Top 25 teams. And there's probably like a 95% chance that we'll play UCLA in that tournament.

A supposed mid major like Xavier is just flat-out better than a crap team like Rutgers. Speaking of which, when the hell are we going to dump St John's from our schedule? I'd much rather replace them with a solid mid-major.

duke2x
07-21-2008, 08:28 PM
My mistake on the MSG/Meadowlands. NY/NJ...same thing. :)

quickgtp
07-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Speaking of which, when the hell are we going to dump St John's from our schedule? I'd much rather replace them with a solid mid-major.

AMEN! Seems like we get stuck asking that every year now!

That Davidson game could be tricky coming off of the break.

duke2x
07-22-2008, 12:21 AM
That Davidson game could be tricky coming off of the break.

My hunch is we will play 2 games before Davidson.

Game 1 (ca. 12/31): TBD-probably a weak non-conference opponent in Cameron.

Game 2: (ca. 1/3 or 1/4): ACC opener. The Davidson game is in the traditional spot for the ACC opener. This is the only spot left for an ACC game on our schedule except for right before Christmas.

Game 3: Davidson on 1/7.

duke2x
08-02-2008, 01:49 PM
http://www.raycomsports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=8&url_article_id=361&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

These are Raycom games.

Tues. 1/20 NCSU 8:00 p.m.
Sat. 2/7 Miami 1:30 p.m.
Wed. 2/10 GTHC!!! 9:00 p.m.
Tues. 3/3 FSU 8:00 p.m.

Edit: I just realized Wed. is the 11th, not the 10th. Don't do anything drastic yet.

BCGroup
08-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I couldn't find this posted anywhere else (mods, if I missed it, please merge).
"StateFansNation found Raycom's press release about their television schedule for the 2008-09 ACC basketball schedule.That's great, except the ACC hasn't released the schedules yet. Ooops. Raycom's mistake is our gain. We still don't have all the dates — but you can find the ACC-only opponents here — but this is a start. "

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/raycom-scoops-acc

geraldsneighbor
08-06-2008, 10:56 AM
to 7pm start times? Is this going to be the norm for ESPN as well?

Bluedog
08-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Twice: UNC, FSU, Md, VT, Wake
Home only: N.C. State, UVa, Miami
Road only: BC, GT, Clemson

hmmm interesting. I guess the 7 pm start times didn't give enough national exposure for ACC...8 pm makes the central and mountain time zones viewing easier, I guess. But seems ridiculous to me....

Looking at the linked blog, http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/winners-and-losers-of-the-acc-schedule, J.P. Giglio has some nice jabs at Duke in it:

"UNC: Analysis: The visit to Winston-Salem might be the Heels only ACC loss next season."

What about the visit to Cameron?

"Analysis: I love when Mike Krzyzewski argues Duke has the toughest schedule. That's impossible because Duke can't play Duke."

What a ridiculous comment! I guess it's somewhat of a back-handed compliment.

gw67
08-06-2008, 11:19 AM
The toughest conference schedule is Maryland's, IMO. The Terps play Duke, UNC and Miami home and away. Their out-of-conference includes some tough opponets as well. According to the link below, they play in the Old Spice Classic next Thanksgiving which has a very strong field.

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/072908aab.html

Maryland may have a difficult time winning half their games next year.

gw67

Wander
08-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Clemson's looks the easiest. Out of the top six teams, they only play two twice, and neither of those two are UNC or Duke. They also of course don't have to play themselves, and they get the worst team twice.

geraldsneighbor
08-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Twice: UNC, FSU, Md, VT, Wake
Home only: N.C. State, UVa, Miami
Road only: BC, GT, Clemson

hmmm interesting. I guess the 7 pm start times didn't give enough national exposure for ACC...8 pm makes the central and mountain time zones viewing easier, I guess. But seems ridiculous to me....

Looking at the linked blog, http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/winners-and-losers-of-the-acc-schedule, J.P. Giglio has some nice jabs at Duke in it:

"UNC: Analysis: The visit to Winston-Salem might be the Heels only ACC loss next season."

What about the visit to Cameron?

"Analysis: I love when Mike Krzyzewski argues Duke has the toughest schedule. That's impossible because Duke can't play Duke."

What a ridiculous comment! I guess it's somewhat of a back-handed compliment.

So that defeats that idea. This sucks that there will be 3 games not nationally televised.

DDB4208
08-06-2008, 05:43 PM
UCLA is also in the Coaches vs Cancer Tourney.

ACCBBallFan
08-07-2008, 01:02 AM
I agree with a couple of prior posters that Clemson has the easiest schedule followed closely by Wake, VA T, Miami and GA T.

MD and NC St have the toguhest followed by FSU and Duke

UNC, UVA and BC are in the middle.

Miami gets three relatively even opponents only at Home: Clemson VA Tech and Wake and with 4 returning now or never seniors could significantly improve on its 8-8 record.

Wake was only 7-9 but has a strong recruiting class and only lost Cameron Stanley to transfer so as a 5 yr senior he could immediately play for Winthrop and prevent WF from going over the scholarship limit of 13.

Those two with relatively easy schedules could be top tier with UNC and Duke.

Despite Clemson easiest schedule they did lose James Mays and Cliff Hammonds. So after losing Vernon Hamilton the year before they need a PG. Probably offsets and again about 10-6.

Besides never getting Dickey back, GA Tech also lost Morrow, Jeremis Smith, Matt Causey but did pick up Iman Shumpert to go with Lawal, Clinch, Peacock, Bell and Aminu. Other than the loss in NCAA finals, Paul Hewitt is usually only 8-8 give or take 1 in ACC as I think he was that year too. Might not make it that far this year having to again replace his top two guys. Like UVA of old, almost never wins on the road.

The others either do not have all that much talent anyway and/or have some of the toughest unbalanced ACC Schedules.

Give or take one game and I think:

14-2 UNC
12-4 DU
11-5 UM
11-5 WF
10-6 CL
10-6 VT
6-10 GT
5-11 NCS
5-11 MD
4-12 UVA
4-12 BC
4-12 FSU

Bob Green
08-07-2008, 04:24 AM
Despite Clemson easiest schedule they did lose James Mays and Cliff Hammonds. So after losing Vernon Hamilton the year before they need a PG. Probably offsets and again about 10-6.

I believe Clemson is in good shape at the PG position with Demontez Stitt. He played in 32 games as a freshman and averaged 8.8 points, 3 assists, and 2.8 turnovers in 22.8 minutes per game:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36213

Taking into account the normal improvement from freshman to sophomore season, Stitt should be a solid performer for the Tigers.

CameronCrazy'11
08-07-2008, 04:35 AM
I believe Clemson is in good shape at the PG position with Demontez Stitt. He played in 32 games as a freshman and averaged 8.8 points, 3 assists, and 2.8 turnovers in 22.8 minutes per game:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36213

Taking into account the normal improvement from freshman to sophomore season, Stitt should be a solid performer for the Tigers.

Don't sit on Clemson this year. IMO Clemson, Wake, and Miami will battle it out for third. I think Duke and UNC will be a step above again.

Bob Green
08-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Don't sit on Clemson this year. IMO Clemson, Wake, and Miami will battle it out for third. I think Duke and UNC will be a step above again.

I agree but my point is that Clemson isn't lacking at the PG position. Stitt is an ACC quality point and we all should expect he will make the normal freshman-sophomore progression. In other words, Stitt's freshman numbers were respectable and I expect his sophomore numbers to be much better.

CameronCrazy'11
08-07-2008, 06:39 AM
I agree but my point is that Clemson isn't lacking at the PG position. Stitt is an ACC quality point and we all should expect he will make the normal freshman-sophomore progression. In other words, Stitt's freshman numbers were respectable and I expect his sophomore numbers to be much better.

Sorry, I meant for my post to amplify yours, not contradict it :). I think in the future we will see some very fun Stitt / Smith matchups.

Bob Green
08-08-2008, 08:12 PM
The annual game against St. John's has lost its luster in recent years and many poster on DBR have called for an end to the series. Perhaps we should back off as it appears Coach Norm Roberts might be able to turn St. John's back into a formidable foe:

http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080808&content_id=1470957&oid=2&vkey=21

By making staff hirings that facilitate recruiting top NYC players, Coach Roberts is attempting to return to the traditional strength of the program. I wish him the best of luck as I would love to see St. John's back as one of the top basketball programs in the nation.

CrazyCat
08-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Nice to have a game close to Chicago. Count me in for the Purdue game. Anyone else looking to go to that game?

Cameron
08-12-2008, 11:51 AM
As a resident of northwest Ohio, I will most definitely be making the trek across the Indiana heartland to West Lafayette for the Boiler game. It should be a classic early season battle.

I'm hoping to head up to the Michigan game in Ann Arbor as well.

geraldsneighbor
08-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Til the official schedule is released.

riverside6
08-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Til the official schedule is released.
Yes, the ACC schedule is released Friday. For what it's worth, we should the schedule on our site that night, with Outlook imports available shortly thereafter.

DukieTiger
08-13-2008, 07:50 PM

Some folks down here in Tigertown actually think Stitt may have some competition for the starting job, from a stud incoming freshman named Andre Young. He's smaller than Stitt, but lightning quick. We'll see how it plays out, but the Tigers are developing some nice depth at PG. By the time ACC play rolls around, I think they will be solid enough at the position to compete in the upper-tier of the ACC (much like I expect their offensive line to solidify for the meat of their ACC football schedule.)

Honestly, I am much more concerned with them finding an effective replacement for James Mays at the PF spot... They have some bouncy, athletic guys but none with the skill set of Mays. But with the improvement and leadership expected from Booker and Rivers, the Tigers should be fine.

To me, it looks like the ACC should have 5 teams solidly in the tourney as 1-8 seeds and to echo prior posters, Clemson Wake and Miami should be fighting for the #3 spot in conference. All five could/should be in the top 25 throughout the year, depending on how respected the league is by the talking heads (who unfortunately determine a lot about conference strength, at least in terms of rankings.)

ACCBBallFan
08-13-2008, 10:17 PM
To me, it looks like the ACC should have 5 teams solidly in the tourney as 1-8 seeds and to echo prior posters, Clemson Wake and Miami should be fighting for the #3 spot in conference. All five could/should be in the top 25 throughout the year, depending on how respected the league is by the talking heads (who unfortunately determine a lot about conference strength, at least in terms of rankings.)
It is still early but Joe Lunardi on ESPN Bracketology agrees with you somewhat. He has UNC and Duke as 1 seeds, Miami a 5 seed, Wake a 7 seed , VA Tech an 8th seed and Clemson a 10 seed. Personally I would switch VA Tech and Clemson.

One thing that may help Clemson is IMO Oliver Purnell has the most favorable ACC unbalanced schedule, not having to play any UNC or Duke or Miami twice (whom I consider the top 3 in ACC this year).

Tigers have the opportunity to tie break with Wake and VA Tech by playing both home and home as well as lowly GA Tech, FSU and UVA twice, and winnable home games with NC St and MD plus BC on the road.

UNC and Miami road only and Duke at home will be the biggest challenges for Clemson, who could very well end up 11-5 or 10-6 to gain the NCAA berth.

VA Tech (Duke twice) has the next easiest ACC unbalanced schedule along with Wake (Duke twice), Miami (UNC twice) and GA Tech (none of top 3 twice but Clemson and Wake twice). So Lunardi could be right about 6 ACC teams in Biig Dance.

duke2x
08-14-2008, 07:04 PM
10/18 BW Scrimmage
10/25 VA Union (Exh.)
11/5 Lenoir-Rhyne (Exh.) 7:00

11/10 Delaware 7:00
11/11 GA Southern/Presbyterian 9:00
11/16 RI 2:00
11/20 2k Semis
11/21 2k Champs
11/23 Montana 1:00
11/28 Duquense 3:00
12/2 at Purdue 9:00
12/6 at Michigan
12/17 UNC-A 7:30
12/20 Xavier in NJ 1:30
12/31 Loyola (MD) 2:00
1/4 VA Tech
1/7 Davidson

No dates are set for the rest, but here was the order. The bold games would probably be Sat-Sun.

@FSU
@GT
Georgetown (other said 1/17)
NCSU (LF said 1/20 8:00)
MD
@Wake
UVA
at Clemson
Miami (LF said 2/7 1:30)
UNC (LF said Wed. 2/10 9:00 which is not correct)
@BC
@ St. John's (other said 2/18)
Wake
at MD
at VA Tech
FSU
at UNC

jimsumner
08-14-2008, 07:14 PM
"It is still early but Joe Lunardi on ESPN Bracketology agrees with you somewhat."

Still early? You think?

Rich
08-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Not sure where i got the info, but I have on my calendar that the men's bball schedule is to be released today. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Indoor66
08-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Not sure where i got the info, but I have on my calendar that the men's bball schedule is to be released today. Can anyone confirm or deny?

If it is a point of major concern, I would check goduke.com through the day. It will be announced/published there.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-15-2008, 09:11 AM

Season ticket order forms have been received locally, so the schedule is out.

msdukie
08-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Since the women's official schedule didn't come out yesterday, the men's official schedule probably won't be released today. Last year they came out on August 22 and 23, respectively, which is neither August 15 or the much rumored "third Friday in August."

That being said, we've been able to piece together everything but ACC dates, TV, and times from the ticket brochure and previous information released.

obsesseddukefan
08-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Payday + (Possible) Duke Schedule = Serenity.

devilish
08-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Per theacc.com:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/071708aaa.html

SilkyJ
08-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Season ticket order forms have been received locally, so the schedule is out.

"out"

any particular place? the ether? certainly not goduke.com!

OZZIE4DUKE
08-15-2008, 03:36 PM
"out"

any particular place? the ether? certainly not goduke.com!

There is a printed schedule in my ticket package. It does say that most dates and times are not available at the time of printing, but should be released "around August 15", which is today. Nothing beyond January 7th has a date or time on what I have - I didn't notice that earlier. Sorry for any confusion

DukieBoy
08-15-2008, 09:12 PM
does ne one have a link to find the schedule cuz i jus tried goduke.com and it hasn't uploaded the schedule yet

watzone
08-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Looks like next week for the public release.

ccrazies_708
08-16-2008, 03:32 PM
I live in Chicago. Count me in for the Purdue game as well

Bluedog
08-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Any word on the official schedule release? I thought it was supposed to be released this week....

Olympic Fan
08-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Gets later every year ... there's always one or two ACC games that hang things up. With two dozen TV networks involved, it's always a mess.

Just MHO, put I think most of you projecting next season are seriously underestimating Virginia Tech.

They finished ahead of Miami and Wake Forest last season -- and that was with freshmen Jeff Allen, Malcolm Delany, Dorenzo Hudson and Hark Thorns playing major roles. Throw in rising soph big man J.T. Thompson, who was VERY impressive late, senior AD Vassallo (second team All-ACC last year) and a trio of veteran big men and Greensberg has a real solid base. He only lost Deron Washington, a very good player, off a 9-7 ACC team. I'd argue that's less of a loss than Clemson's loss of Mays AND Hammonds (not to mention Perry, who was a solid player).

Plus, they're adding a very mature freshman big man in Victor Davila.

I have Virginia Tech in the mix with Wake (which does add some good freshmen big men) and Miami (although they'll miss Anthony King's shotblocking and rebuilding skills) for 3-5 place ... ahead of Clemson.

And don't overlook Florida State. Although I don't have them in first division, they remind me of Va Tech in 2007 or Miami last year -- teams coming off an injury-plagued year that cause them to be undervalued in preseason the next year.

Wander
08-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Just MHO, put I think most of you projecting next season are seriously underestimating Virginia Tech.

I agree. I think most are also overestimating Miami.

And don't overlook Florida State. Although I don't have them in first division, they remind me of Va Tech in 2007 or Miami last year -- teams coming off an injury-plagued year that cause them to be undervalued in preseason the next year.

The problem is that Virginia Tech and Miami weren't coached by Leonard Hamilton.

I could see FSU being the best of the bottom half of the ACC, but the difference between #6 and #7 is significant (that's Miami and FSU, I think). I don't see them making the tournament.

ACCBBallFan
08-23-2008, 08:27 AM
I would not be so sure about FSU. They still have Toney Douglas but lost Jason Rich, Isaiah Swann, and Ralph Mims, so scorers 2-3-4 from last year.

I agree Va Tech will be a bubble team along with Clemson, but behind UNC, Duke, Miami and Wake as top 25 caliber.

Also agree there is a significant drop off between #6 Va T and #7 whomever that might be, possibly GA Tech thanks to a very favorable ACC unbalanced scheedule second only to Clemson's, same as VA Tech, Miami and Wake which is another reason for picking these teams in top 6.

Miami has four seniors in a now or never situation.with their biggest problem being having to face UNC twice and Dulke on the road. The favorable schedule is only playing three equal teams once at home Clemson, Wake and VA Tech.

wilson
08-23-2008, 05:37 PM
The season sked traditionally comes out on the third Friday of August...that was yesterday, but no dice yet. Anybody know what gives?

TobaMom
08-23-2008, 05:39 PM
This is just a guess, but I think that the schedule will be released some time after the gold medal game.

Bob Green
08-23-2008, 05:44 PM
The season sked traditionally comes out on the third Friday of August...that was yesterday, but no dice yet. Anybody know what gives?

Yesterday was the fourth Friday in August.

wilson
08-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Yesterday was the fourth Friday in August.

Right...good catch, but my original question remains: The schedule (according to tradition) is late; where is it?

duke2x
08-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Duke released a good chunk of the schedule in the season ticket applications. I'm not typing it in again, so please scroll down the board to find it. Although it's not official, chances are the order of ACC games will remain the same. We don't know Sat-Sun and T-W-T times yet, so you can't make travel plans.

DDB4208
09-04-2008, 04:29 PM
http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726

mgtr
09-20-2008, 07:33 AM
When do we get the Men's Basketball Schedule? I need to plan the rest of my life. Well, at least through April, 2009.
Seriously, at least I want to know when to begin ignoring other problems. when the ACC tournament is, and when March Madness begins.
I know there are some incidental holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter) coming up, but I need the really important dates. Thanks.

VAGentleman05
09-20-2008, 07:45 AM
It's been out or a while now. Enjoy! (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726)

mgtr
09-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks. I figured (wrongly) that since it wasn't on the main page, there was no point in searching for it. My bad.

Rich
09-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Has anyone set up the men's bball schedule for downloading into Outlook?

riverside6
09-23-2008, 10:30 AM
This will probably get merged with the other threads, but here you go....

http://www.scacchoops.com/Schedule.asp?sTeam=DU

Just download the CSV and import it into Outlook.

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2008, 10:49 AM
vcool, thanks!

Rich
09-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Ditto. This is excellent! Thanks for the link.

-jk
09-25-2008, 02:40 PM
This is the current schedule thread.

-jk

coot
10-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the import file this year? I usually find it on this board somewhere?

Thanks,
coot

speedevil
10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the import file this year? I usually find it on this board somewhere?

Thanks,
coot

looking for the palm version also

-jk
10-14-2008, 07:10 PM
It's in this thread, a few posts up.

-jk

Steve68
11-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Has anyone posted this year's men's basketball schedule to sync with Outlook?

pfrduke
11-04-2008, 12:09 PM

Thanks,
coot

Has anyone posted this year's men's basketball schedule to sync with Outlook?

The boards have a search function that is actually quite good. For example, if you put the words "schedule outlook" in the search box and search for posts, riverside6's post above is one of the first 5 results.

willywoody
11-06-2008, 02:25 PM
http://www.upperregister.com/~charlie/

ical schedule for men's 2008-2009 basketball schedule can be found here.

Highlander
11-26-2008, 01:08 PM
I created one as well in .vcs format. I skipped games already played. Times are Eastern.

Linky (http://www.dashjordan.com/dukesked/bball 08-09.vcs)