PDA

View Full Version : Duke Women to the Sweet 16!

DukePA
03-25-2008, 09:25 PM
I think this deserves a thread. The women just knocked off Arizona State.

GO DUKE!!! GTHC, GTH!!

prefan21
03-25-2008, 09:26 PM
I think this deserves a thread. The women just knocked off Arizona State.

GO DUKE!!! GTHC, GTH!!

No kidding! I bumped the earlier thread, because I couldn't believe no one was celebrating!

Also incredible was that ODU, up 3, FOULED the Virginia shooter under the basket with 1.2 seconds left (as the ball went in). She hit the free throw to send it to overtime. Unbelievable mental mistake.

Stray Gator
03-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Chante Black was simply awesome tonight, and I thought the team showed tremendous determination in fending off several strong comeback attempts by Arizona State--which made, by my count, an incredible 15 straight free throws to stay within reach during the second half. Congrats, Blue Devils, and keep it rolling against the Aggies!

wisteria
03-25-2008, 09:38 PM
yeah, great performance~~Congratulations to the ladies~

terrih
03-25-2008, 09:43 PM
WAY TO GO LADIES.

It is great to see them playing so well in the post season after a tougher than normal regular season. Really happy for them.

Go Duke!

Bluedog
03-25-2008, 09:43 PM
No kidding! I bumped the earlier thread, because I couldn't believe no one was celebrating!

Also incredible was that ODU, up 3, FOULED the Virginia shooter under the basket with 1.2 seconds left (as the ball went in). She hit the free throw to send it to overtime. Unbelievable mental mistake.

Yep, saw that, ridiculously stupid. The play was just amazing. UVA had FIVE offensive rebounds so had six shots within 4 feet of the basket those last 10 seconds or so. Can ODU really not get a rebound?!? I also thought it was the cheapest foul call I've ever seen, but still....should just let them shoot it.

And, more importantly, congrats to Duke! Wahoo!

bhop22
03-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Congrats to the Duke women!! For those watching the UCONN- Texas game, how weird to see Coach G on the Longhorn sidelines. In that game Maya Moore is going crazy-- 4 straight 3's and a great block. After watching her in high school and college, she will go down as one of the top five in NCAA history. Go Duke and on to the sweet 16.

Jim3k
03-25-2008, 10:16 PM
After 5-2 guard Jazzmin Walter hit the game winning three just as the shot clock was going off, she was interviewed by one of the announcers. Walter, who is probably shorter than listed, was asked: "How tall are you, really?"

Her response: 5-10. :D

The announcer should have seen that coming.

blazindw
03-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Congrats Duke women!!

npdevil27
03-25-2008, 10:38 PM
This makes 6 of the past 7 years that the women have advanced further than the men... who'd have thought that possible back in the late 90's?

godukerocks
03-25-2008, 10:45 PM
So, if Duke makes the Elite 8 this year, will we still have any doubts about McCallie?

roywhite
03-25-2008, 10:52 PM
So, if Duke makes the Elite 8 this year, will we still have any doubts about McCallie?

I think that would be a very good achievement. I don't follow the women's team as closely as some do, so I can't tell for sure if she's having trouble connecting with the team, or perhaps just normal transitional issues. At any rate, good to see them get 2 wins in the tournament and wish them the best.

Edit...thought they were in same bracket as UNC; an elite 8 game would likely be against Tennessee.

burnspbesq
03-25-2008, 10:53 PM

Yes. The next freshman class was recruited by Coach G, so we still don't know whether McCallie can recruit well enough to keep pace with Carolina and Maryland.

godukerocks
03-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Yes. The next freshman class was recruited by Coach G, so we still don't know whether McCallie can recruit well enough to keep pace with Carolina and Maryland.

Has McCallie recruited any players of her own at all?

gadzooks
03-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Also incredible was that ODU, up 3, FOULED the Virginia shooter under the basket with 1.2 seconds left (as the ball went in). She hit the free throw to send it to overtime. Unbelievable mental mistake.Oh yeah, that was DUMB. She's kicking herself tonight, for sure (I believe that player fouled out with that, too), though at least they managed to win it in OT.

But back to the thread topic, HECK YEAH! GO DUKE! :D

yancem
03-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Awesome. It is nice to have some nice basketball news at this point. I hope the ladies can keep it going. If they can win another game or two, it will certainly change the outlook for the program.

CameronBornAndBred
03-25-2008, 11:33 PM
I thought this was the best 2 games in a row they've played in a while. The regional will be tough, but if they keep playing the game they did this week, they can do well. GO DEVILS!

P.S. I enjoyed watching coach G's Texas get the snot beat out of them. HA!

Lid
03-26-2008, 09:26 AM
So cathartic to see this game, and to see the players SMILE. Like, you know, they were having FUN. I agree that these last two games have been the best I've seen this year. Chante Black was just steady and solid the whole game, and I think Abby didn't get credited with enough assists. She had some great passes and tips that kept the offense going after misses. Good effort on the boards, great to see Cheek stick with things after not contributing much the first half, and I love Jasmine Thomas' confidence and moves.

I'm curious about recruiting, too -- I asked here a couple of months ago if Coach P had any recruits, and I just got crickets. Not sure of that information.

I also liked watching ASU play. It was wild to see how well they stayed in rhythm given the constant subs.

Bluedawg
03-26-2008, 10:07 AM
CONGRATULATIONS BLUE DEVILS

It was even sweeter in front of the Maryland fans! Coach P said they were starting to gel and it appears she was correct.

Bluedawg
03-26-2008, 10:11 AM

The fact that she can coach another coach's team, change all the schemes and still make the sweet 16 speaks volumes. There should be absolutely no doubt anymore!!!

dukepsy1963
03-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Wow, they scared me toward the end, but talent and guts will out!!!! Congratulations to the entire team for a job well done!!!!

Go Duke!!! Bring it home!!!!

Bluedawg
03-26-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm curious about recruiting, too -- I asked here a couple of months ago if Coach P had any recruits, and I just got crickets. Not sure of that information.

I also liked watching ASU play. It was wild to see how well they stayed in rhythm given the constant subs.

I know there is a web page for WBB recruiting and I had it bookmarked, however, it is gone. Can someone post the address?

ASU has an outstanding coach. WBB is looking stronger every year.

godukerocks
03-26-2008, 10:39 AM

I got a little annoyed watching ASU bench scrubs hop up and down and run up and down the bench high fiving each other after almost every basket in the second half...

sagegrouse
03-26-2008, 10:48 AM
When was the last time the duke team went a whole game without making a 3-pt. shot?

sagegrouse

merry
03-26-2008, 10:49 AM
This makes 6 of the past 7 years that the women have advanced further than the men... who'd have thought that possible back in the late 90's?

There's a lot less parity in women's basketball IMO and usually very few real upsets in the opening rounds. Things get a lot more interesting from here on out.

Then again I remember what a big deal it felt like when Gail first took a team to the Sweet 16 so you make a good point!

msdukie
03-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Duke hasn't hit a 3 in 2 of its last 6 games (after a 109 game streak). We went 0-12 at Carolina.

As for next year's recruits, I believe only Shay Selby was recruited by G.

ChrisP
03-26-2008, 10:52 AM
I thought this was the best 2 games in a row they've played in a while. The regional will be tough, but if they keep playing the game they did this week, they can do well. GO DEVILS!

P.S. I enjoyed watching coach G's Texas get the snot beat out of them. HA!

Did Gail run over your dog or something? I can't believe people seem to have all these sour grapes over her leaving Duke. She said it was a tough decision and one that was ultimately based on what she felt was best for her personal situation. I, for one, believe her and wish her well. She is largely responsible for building Duke's womens program into the name brand it is today. I don't know to what extent - if any - the rumors about her to TX affected last year's team in the NCAA tourney but even if it did, I'm sorry, we had a great, veteran team that was playing close to home - they should have taken care of business vs. Rutgers but...oh well. Besides, those rumors were out of her control. If you want to be mad at someone, how about Judy Condradt for announcing her retirement when she did and causing those rumors to start swirling in the first place?

And, for the record, I NEVER want to see any team get the snot beat out of them by that jerk Auriemma.

msdukie
03-26-2008, 10:56 AM
And, for the record, I NEVER want to see any team get the snot beat out of them by that jerk Auriemma.

Well, I can think of ONE team.... :D

Indoor66
03-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Did Gail run over your dog or something? I can't believe people seem to have all these sour grapes over her leaving Duke. She said it was a tough decision and one that was ultimately based on what she felt was best for her personal situation. I, for one, believe her and wish her well. She is largely responsible for building Duke's womens program into the name brand it is today. I don't know to what extent - if any - the rumors about her to TX affected last year's team in the NCAA tourney but even if it did, I'm sorry, we had a great, veteran team that was playing close to home - they should have taken care of business vs. Rutgers but...oh well. Besides, those rumors were out of her control. If you want to be mad at someone, how about Judy Condradt for announcing her retirement when she did and causing those rumors to start swirling in the first place?

I agree that I wish no ill will toward Gail. I have supported her from the beginning. She did what she had to do within the framework of her life. I respect her and her decision. I also strongly support Coach P.

As to Gino, if you take away the fact that he is with UCon, I kind of like the guy. He is a little irreverent (and so am I) and he freely speaks his mind. Very little coach-speak, very little BS, just his opinion. He appears very real, very approachable and seems to be someone that would be fun to spend an evening with.

Given the fact that it is Women's BB, I might even overlook the UCon connection...ehhhhh, NO! :p

CameronBornAndBred
03-26-2008, 11:42 AM

The way she walked off the court after their lost last year disgusted me. She turned heels and went in the tunnel solo, without the team. I knew then the discussion as to whether she would be going to Texas or not was moot, she had made up her mind. I wasn't there, but on TV it looked like a horrible display of sportsmanship. It has left a sour taste in my mouth since then.

soccerstud2210
03-26-2008, 11:52 AM
at least one duke basketball team can make it out of the first and second round :) way to go ladies! keep it up!

Rudy
03-26-2008, 12:13 PM
I'll be watching them the rest of the way. Unfortunately the only times I saw them them play this year they were getting their butts kicked by UNC or Maryland.

I saw Jasmin Thomas play all four years of her h.s. career. Not a bad freshman year, but shakier than I thought she would be.

Good luck ladies.

gadzooks
03-26-2008, 12:15 PM
And, for the record, I NEVER want to see any team get the snot beat out of them by that jerk Auriemma.Well, I can think of ONE team.... :DMan, when UConn and Carolina play, it makes me wish BOTH teams could lose.

Bluedawg
03-26-2008, 12:33 PM
As for next year's recruits, I believe only Shay Selby was recruited by G.

And Coach P, her staff and the players did a great job in keeping ehr interested after Coach G left

killerleft
03-26-2008, 05:04 PM
So cathartic to see this game, and to see the players SMILE. Like, you know, they were having FUN. I agree that these last two games have been the best I've seen this year. Chante Black was just steady and solid the whole game, and I think Abby didn't get credited with enough assists. She had some great passes and tips that kept the offense going after misses. Good effort on the boards, great to see Cheek stick with things after not contributing much the first half, and I love Jasmine Thomas' confidence and moves.

The smiles WERE awfully nice! Earlier in the year the game seemed to be all work and no play for the ladies, but that has changed.

Also, it's too early to judge Joanne McCallie. But an Elite 8 or better would really be sending out the right signals to recruits. Personally, I have liked what I have seen from her so far.

Go Blue Devils!