PDA

View Full Version : TarHeel coworkers

Bostondevil
03-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Even up here in the frozen north, I've got a coworker who is a TarHeel. Sigh. Anyway, after behaving herself this morning, I went up to her after lunch and said, "Go ahead, take your best shot."

She responded, "Man, it must suck to be a Duke fan right now!" I told her that wasn't too bad.

But it made me think, and I have to say that even though I get depressed when we're out of the tournament or whenever we lose, especially to UNC, it never, ever sucks to be a Duke fan.

RelativeWays
03-24-2008, 03:56 PM
I work with almost nothing but Tarheel fans, and they were pretty nice to me today. One was kind of sorry we lost not only did he have in the the Elite 8 but it was a bit of conference pride. Sometimes how good your rival is reflects on how good you are (especially since we beat them once this year). I found that with the UNC fans I deal with face to face, as long as I treat their team with respect, they return in kind.

dukegirlinsc
03-24-2008, 04:33 PM
it never, ever sucks to be a Duke fan.

Amen to that.

Defenserules
03-24-2008, 05:17 PM
They pity us right now. It's hard to be a jerk when you think of yourself as in a different league. Right now they are. I remember feeling that way about the holes a few years back. Boy do I miss those days.

Huh?
03-24-2008, 05:27 PM
All the UNC fans I work with sit around and talk about who outfits Roy Williams. Unbelievable.
Thank God I'm a Duke fan.

dukepsy1963
03-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Today I went to see my dentist. He's a good friend and UNC supporter even though he is a Duke grad as well as a UNC grad! He turned coat when his daughter became one of Roy's assistant I think. His reasoning (he told me awhile back) was that Duke had become too "elitist" in recent years. I really think he was trying to justify his choice because his daughter worked for Roy. Anyway, regardless of his allegiance, he is a good friend and great dentist and said (I believe quite genuinely), that he was sorry that Duke bit the dust so quickly. (He then drilled a hole in my cheek!! Just kidding!)

In my experience, most UNC people (the grads at least) are good people when you get them away from internet forums....:).

What a rivalry we have!!! That said, I sure wish I could bring him back into the fold!

duke98
03-24-2008, 08:34 PM
They pity us right now. It's hard to be a jerk when you think of yourself as in a different league. Right now they are. I remember feeling that way about the holes a few years back. Boy do I miss those days.

Truer words were never spoken, all of them. All I can think to do is grit my teeth and hang on until the tables are turned again.

Bostondevil
03-24-2008, 09:34 PM
They pity us right now.

I always pity them, for heaven's sake, they're Carolina fans! They actually have to admit to liking ugly baby blue uniforms and Roy Williams. No thank you. I have always been extremely grateful to have been born a Duke fan.

I agree many TarHeels can be quite nice, misguided though they are.

CameronBornAndBred
03-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Throw a snowball down the back of her jacket. Just because.

P.S. I wore all of my Duke gear proudly this weekend. Win or lose, the Devils are my team. I don't like fair weather fans.

DrDrawz
03-25-2008, 01:34 PM
I currently work at UNC and for the past two weeks, it seems people are spending more time harassing me than they are doing their jobs. I'm amazed at the outpouring of hatred that's occurred this year. Usually it's pretty friendly, but not so much this year. I grew up a Dukie in Chapel Hill, so I've seen and heard it all, but this is the worst I can remember in quite some time.

If anyone has some good embarrassing quotes or pictures (photoshopped or otherwise) that they'd like to share, I'd love to have them. Just to keep the trash talk in good spirit of course ;)

dukepsy1963
03-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Have them look at DBR as an example of how to be a fan without resorting to mean-sprited attacks. And try to point out that being a fan does not give one the right to go beyond standards of human decency. Good natured kidding is one thing, but personal attacks are another.

I used to teach at UNC, but apparently it is, as you say, much worse today than it used to be. There used to be kidding, but it was all in the spirit of what one would expect with a rivalry.

It is, after all, just a game.

BlueDevilJay
03-26-2008, 07:47 AM
I don't know what companies yall work for, but the Hole fans here basically lined up at my desk to take shots at me Monday morning. I could understand it were I the type of Duke fan to talk trash to them, but I didn't even comment after we won in CH this season, and rarely ever do unless provoked, then its fair game. My favorite line to use is "Yes we lost, but you'll always be a Tarhole fan". Some of them are even bright enough to figure out that I'm insulting them :)