PDA

View Full Version : Recent Losses in NCAA hurt our recruitment?

Dukefan4Life
03-23-2008, 08:00 PM
do you think this will hurt our chances of landing some of the players we are going after?

cspan37421
03-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Not necessarily. After all, maybe some stud big man or point guard sees us as an opportunity to compete for a starting role right away, as opposed to the appeal of a team that is doing quite well without them.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-23-2008, 08:04 PM
I'd hope that recruits will see these results as evidence that there's playing time ready and waiting for them. Particularly Ech and Painter must be able to see the slot that they could fill perfectly at the 5 and take an already strong team to the next level.

kydevil
03-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Agreed Cspan. They also might view themselves as the piece that puts Duke back on top and back to the Final Four!

wisteria
03-23-2008, 08:08 PM
It'll depend on how the big man recruits look at our lack of post presense. They can take it as a chance to immediately start, or they can take it as our inability to develop good post players (which to some extent I agree).

Any how, I wish K would cast a bigger net when it comes to recruiting. The Patterson/Monroe lesson should be big enough. One miss in recruiting doesn't just hurt one year. We've had 2 misses in a row now, I can hardly imagine a third one.

hondoheel
03-23-2008, 08:11 PM
It might hurt recruiting a stud power forward if he doesn't want to play center. If you get Echenique that would help as I'm sure he knows he'd be playing the 5 at Duke.

Dukefan4Life
03-23-2008, 08:12 PM
It seems we put all of our eggs into one basket with both monrore and patterson, shouldnt we have offered 2-3 bigs just incase?

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Any how, I wish K would cast a bigger net when it comes to recruiting. The Patterson/Monroe lesson should be big enough. One miss in recruiting doesn't just hurt one year. We've had 2 misses in a row now, I can hardly imagine a third one.

No need to imagine. We also missed on Brockman, Kaun, Cisse, Diop, etc as well as mis-evaluating Thompson, Boatang, Hump, and Boykin over the last 5-6 years. I think K has turned a corner since the bad days, but we've seen the results of multi-year misses based on overly-selective recruiting.

Kdogg
03-23-2008, 08:20 PM
In 1996 we lost to Eastern Michigan and had the three B's plus Avery committed before the second round loss to Providence. Programs will always have there ups and down with recruiting.

cspan37421
03-23-2008, 08:26 PM
It'll depend on how the big man recruits look at our lack of post presense. They can take it as a chance to immediately start, or they can take it as our inability to develop good post players (which to some extent I agree).

I don't think we need to go down this road again. Did we not develop Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer? Not everyone develops. Some peak in HS, others in college, and a few continue to improve beyond that. It varies, you've got few data points, and there's no way statistically you can argue that we aren't good at developing players.

You get the best players you can get, and if that means going with a lineup of 3G and 2F, or 2G and 3F, that's what you get. There aren't a lot of really good really big guys out there (over 6'10"), not to mention that meet Duke's standards and would consider us.

I feel really lucky that we have Brian Zoubek. I think he's a lot better than a couple of other 7-footers we've had back in the day. He rebounds well and can catch and handle the ball well. He needs to work on FTs; often with guys that big they need to arc their shot more than they think. I think if he stays healthy and our team chemistry is formed with him as part of the lineup, as opposed to coming in later in the year, we could be amazing next year. We might even be more worried about him fouling out than him taking playing time from someone else.

NashvilleDevil
03-23-2008, 08:31 PM
I don't think the losses affect Duke's recruiting as much as the media might. Right now even though they are not winning Duke is the most hated program in the country and every media outlet is getting their kicks in while the program is "down".

Does anyone else think that the top 17-18 year old kids do not want to sign with Duke because of how hated the Blue Devils are right now? With all of the pressure that playing college b-ball and going to school provide, is it possible that a kid looking at Duke will pass because they do not want the added pressure of being hated by everyone?

Dukefan4Life
03-23-2008, 08:31 PM
I am sorry guys but i just dont see much in Brian Z. I cant think of anything he brings to our team except for his size and he doesnt really use it that often. I dont see any hint of a post game, he cant hold his postion down in the paint and he travels most of the time. I know he is on our team and this shouldnt sound like im bashing him, i am just giving my opnion

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-23-2008, 08:35 PM
I am sorry guys but i just dont see much in Brian Z. I cant think of anything he brings to our team except for his size and he doesnt really use it that often. I dont see any hint of a post game, he cant hold his postion down in the paint and he travels most of the time. I know he is on our team and this shouldnt sound like im bashing him, i am just giving my opnion

In Z's defense we're still waiting to see what a healthy summer of weight training can do for him. If Z could build a strong and solid lower-body base a lot of the traveling/holding his position issues would go way down. I'm not expecting the sort of shot-blocker or scorer we really need, but with a strong lower-body Z can be a lot better than he's shown so far.

wisteria
03-23-2008, 08:40 PM
I don't think the losses affect Duke's recruiting as much as the media might. Right now even though they are not winning Duke is the most hated program in the country and every media outlet is getting their kicks in while the program is "down".

Does anyone else think that the top 17-18 year old kids do not want to sign with Duke because of how hated the Blue Devils are right now? With all of the pressure that playing college b-ball and going to school provide, is it possible that a kid looking at Duke will pass because they do not want the added pressure of being hated by everyone?

If they are afraid of being hated, it's probably a good thing that they are not coming. But I agree that with today's media influence, being painted as a post-season joke surely isn't going to help recruiting.

somf4eva
03-23-2008, 08:45 PM

i think the media has alot to do with it right now. I think guys are looking to beat Duke instead of "be" Duke.

Duke79UNLV77
03-23-2008, 09:52 PM
quotes from opposing players from LSU, W Va, Md, and UNC in recent years shows that the Duke-hating and urban legends have taken hold. i think it is an impact both on recruiting and the pressure a lot of our current players seem to put on themselves at tournament time.

that being said, i'm sure a lot of potential recruits could be persuaded by a scholarship offer and a personal pitch by K. see long-time misguided heels fan mason plumlee.

weezie
03-23-2008, 10:42 PM
"quotes from opposing players from LSU, W Va, Md, and UNC in recent years shows that the Duke-hating and urban legends have taken hold"

lsu, wvu, md and unc?
We won't be hurt as long as Coach recruits SMART guys to play for Duke. Dumbbells can just keep on walking by.
Anybody thinking Duke is a joke is definitely not our kind of player anyway.

godukecom
03-23-2008, 10:46 PM
The recent NCAAT losses definitely have some effect on any potential recruit... assumikng they don't is unrealistic.

How much, nobody can know. But there is definitely some effect

Saratoga2
03-23-2008, 11:05 PM
I'd hope that recruits will see these results as evidence that there's playing time ready and waiting for them. Particularly Ech and Painter must be able to see the slot that they could fill perfectly at the 5 and take an already strong team to the next level.

It seems that coach K is on the correct track to get a front court power player and we already have a big guy who can handle the ball well and can rebound. We also have offered a point guard prospect and another shooting guard.

You could argue that all are needed, since we will lose Paulus to graduation. I am not certain about the status of McClure and Pocius as far as seasons they could potentially play. Then we also have the possibilities of movement to the NBA and possible transfers.

wisteria
03-23-2008, 11:16 PM
It seems that coach K is on the correct track to get a front court power player and we already have a big guy who can handle the ball well and can rebound. We also have offered a point guard prospect and another shooting guard.

You could argue that all are needed, since we will lose Paulus to graduation. I am not certain about the status of McClure and Pocius as far as seasons they could potentially play. Then we also have the possibilities of movement to the NBA and possible transfers.

All that you have mentioned are just offers. No evidence showed that we are clearly heavily favored in all these recruiting battles. Remember how we were supposed to be in favor in the Monroe recruit? He didn't even take a visit.