PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday

somf4eva
03-23-2008, 02:41 PM
....I was in a wedding in High Point, NC. The couple in the wedding were recent Belmont grads. The young ladies garder was made with a UNC fabric. She and her seven siblings were raised by two UNC grads. Need I say more? I was in the Lion's Den.

When I arrived Thursday evening, the harassing started. At the bachlor party, I watched the groom's cell as text updates made me cringe. I could do nothing but participate in the festivities as my Dukies was busting their tales on national television. Finally, during the last two excruciating minutes, I was able to listen to my fiance(a Duke fan) over the phone as she gave me the play by play. When the game was over, I didn't know how to feel. I took the jabs that Duke almost lost to Belmont. I wondered in my head what the problem was. I cursed myself for not being able to watch the game. My comeback was "who won?"

After the close win, I was praying for a UNC upset, so I could say something. After seeing the score the following night, I thought to myself, "why do I never feel this confident about Duke. Why does Duke always make me feel like the could lose any game while UNC always looks invincible." I had no answers to the UNC fans in the town. The only thing I could do was wear my Duke hat everywhere I could go.

Then. Yesterday. The Wedding. The Game.

It started out great. Leaving for the game, Duke had a ten point lead. At halftime, as I was getting dressed, the lead was five. No worries. I actually wore a UNC colored polo to the church to honor the brides family (with a Duke hat to match).

The unthinkable happened. Duke started falling. And falling. I was crushed inside. Was something wrong? Were the text updates incorrect? No. Duke was about to have their season ended by....West Virginia. I kept my head igh amongst all the lions. I would not be beaten down. I would not be discouraged. Then they lost. I informed everyone that it was over. I felt dejected as I saw the smiles on their faces. I had nothing to say but, "It just wasnt the year. We'll get'em next year."

I could only wonder and expect the headlines. After the wedding, I had to listen to the wispers as the news traveled from person to person. I could say nothing to these people. They would not let me forget this. What a great day to be married. Duke has fallen...they thought.

I will not be discouraged by this.

I am a Duke fan.

Good luck to you DeMarcus.

I know that the boys will get their act together, they will work hard, they will expect the best, and achieve better.

I am a Duke fan and so proud of it.

weezie
03-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Man, that was an epic tale of survival! Wow, you must be exhausted. Good for you to keep your head high and to carry through on your promise to the happy couple. With any luck, their children will grow up to be Dukies and play on Duke teams and "Uncle smof4eva" will be their favorite and they'll make sure you always get great seats!!!

billybreen
03-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Wow, it sounds like yesterday love was _not_ such an easy game to play.

Sorry, it had to be done. You are a strong person to run that gauntlet with resolve intact. Kudos.

VaDukie
03-23-2008, 04:11 PM
I wore a Duke shirt into a store after the game. As I was checking out one of the managers asked if I wanted a new shirt in a lighter shade of blue. I just smiled and said win or lose I liked the shirt I had on.

somf4eva
03-23-2008, 08:37 PM
I wore a Duke shirt into a store after the game. As I was checking out one of the managers asked if I wanted a new shirt in a lighter shade of blue. I just smiled and said win or lose I liked the shirt I had on.

and that is the response i would make to any comment that tries to degrade duke.

just because my team suffered a somewhat embarrassing loss doesnt mean i will stop supporting them.