PDA

View Full Version : Speculation about Singler and the NBA draft

heath_harshman4
03-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Kyle Singler...

Will he be back next year?

I think he will be, I think he loves the college game and with how this season ended and with how good we should be next year, I think he will be back. And another season battling in the ACC couldn't hurt his NBA resume'.

But, I also thought this about Josh McRoberts (who I think would've helped a TON today) so I may be way off....

Thoughts?

YmoBeThere
03-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Kyle needs to work on the strength portion of his game. I'm not saying he needs to bulk up considerably, but he does need to get stronger. Josh was unhappy, I don't think the same thing can be said of Kyle.

Karl Beem
03-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Kyle Singler...

Will he be back next year?

I think he will be, I think he loves the college game and with how this season ended and with how good we should be next year, I think he will be back. And another season battling in the ACC couldn't hurt his NBA resume'.

But, I also thought this about Josh McRoberts (who I think would've helped a TON today) so I may be way off....

Thoughts?

Are you serious?:eek:

heath_harshman4
03-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Are you serious?:eek:

At the beginning of the year he was being talked about being a 1 and done type of guy. It's a legitimate question. Especially with how Duke has had bad luck with guys jumping to the NBA.

houstondukie
03-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Hasn't Kyle already said that he will for sure be back nexy yr? I know we should never believe what these kids says, but I was under the impression that Kyle was thinking of staying even after next yr, so if that's the case, the NBA is probably not on his mind at all right now.

Jumbo
03-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Kyle will be back next year. Any comparison between Kyle Singler and Josh McRoberts begins and ends with the fact that they both happened to play basketball at Duke University.

cbfx3
03-22-2008, 05:41 PM
G would be the only early entry prospect we have this year.. wrist will probably prevent that. I see Singler as a 4 year Battier type.

YmoBeThere
03-22-2008, 05:42 PM
G would be the only early entry prospect we have this year.. wrist will probably prevent that. I see Singler as a 4 year Battier type.

Which means he can lead us to a title his senior year, go to the NBA and sign a very nice 8 year, $45 million or so dollar contract after his rookie one is over.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
03-22-2008, 05:54 PM
The only one who could realistically want to leave for the NBA is Henderson and his wrist injury pretty much kills his stock so I can't see him leaving. Singler is a late first round pick if he leaves, maybe even second round. I can't see him leaving unless he gets some really bad advice.

We should be about the same next year with Williams picking up most of what DeMarc gave us and everyone getting another year under their belt.

Keys for next year are developing Lance and Zoubek inside if thats possible. We need someone who can score inside everyone once in awhile and not turn the ball over so much. Singler will be better but I don't see him being a dominant inside guy at any point.

All in all I doubt anyone leaves and we're probably about the same next year, maybe a little better.

banneheim
03-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Where would he go???? Don't get me wrong, Singler is talented but he has a lot to work on....

sagegrouse
03-22-2008, 07:13 PM
I agree with Big John's view, which goes about as follows:

"A lot of time the decision comes down to whether the player likes to go to class." (He wasn't surprised that Allan Iverson left after two years.)

I don't know, but I doubt that this is a problem with anyone on this year's team.

Schoolwork may have been a negative for McRoberts, so I understand. And it may also have been a factor in Maggette and Avery leaving (Elton was due to be the top pick in the draft).

OTOH Luol left because, as refugees, his family needed the money.

sagegrouse

Troublemaker
03-22-2008, 07:20 PM

On a scale of 1 to 10, my fear of either one leaving is 0. This isn't a knock against G and Kyle, either. While it's true that "players don't have to be ready for the NBA to leave," I think people misunderstand that sometimes. It does NOT mean that just anyone can leave for the Association at any time. The players who leave early without being "ready" usually have incredible athletic and physical gifts, talents that the NBA can't ignore. The thing is, G can leap very high but that doesn't mean he's Grant Hill. He's only 6'4" and isn't laterally elite. He'll need to continue developing his shooting, ball-handling, and passing ability just to eventually have a long career in the NBA. Kyle likewise has work to do. He needs to get in much better shape and continue to hone his skills so that his versatility consistently shows. Towards the end of the season, his game was too one-dimensional. The NBA values a Joe Johnson type player more than it values a Kyle Korver. Don't get me wrong. I love both G and Kyle and believe they will both raise their games to a new level very soon (along with Jon as well). And I believe they will do so in Duke uniforms, becoming great college players.

jipops
03-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Seriously, can this thread be removed? Not trying to be offensive, but nobody with remaining eligibility is leaving. Bet the bank on it, even Bear Stearns.

SilkyJ
03-22-2008, 07:26 PM
i know that when some guys in college say that they are staying for the next year and its during the middle of the season that it doesn't always mean much, but I just believe it when one of our guys says it. I just dont think our guys would lie. There are ways to answer a question without giving a definitive answer and kyle said he would be back for next year so I believe him.

So assuming he stays, I'm excited for next season, especially if gerald sticks around too. We'll have quite the talented team and now with lots of experience, though still lacking some beef on the inside. If we can start zoub at the 5 and move kyle to the 4 with gerald, jon and either greg or nolan i think thats got to be one of the best starting 5s in the country. Zoub's development (read: health) is key. I think nolan will really challenge greg for the starting PG position.

1Devil
03-22-2008, 07:55 PM
This is silly. Singler would not be a first-rounder thie year.

weezie
03-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Kyle will be back next year. Any comparison between Kyle Singler and Josh McRoberts begins and ends with the fact that they both happened to play basketball at Duke University.

Yeah, you're spot on in that one. Down to the last vowel and consonant.
And, although Jumbo isn't one for vague inferences, I think I can extrapolate on his comment all the live long day.

JasonEvans
03-23-2008, 12:37 PM
I am of the opinion that until there are at least rumbles about a player leaving early, it is pretty silly to discuss it. I cannot think of anyone who knows Duke basketball who thinks there is a realistic chance Kyle will leave. The odds of Henderson leaving are similarly extremely low.

I would be quite happy for this thread to just disappear from the first page of the boards.

--Jason "unless you have something meaningful to add to this discussion, I'd rather see no more replies, ya'll know what I mean?" Evans

wiscodevil
03-23-2008, 01:05 PM
I say if he play at least three years, he goes down as one of the Duke greats. He is a special player. 10-15 more pounds and he is dominant.

freedevil
03-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Kyle Singler doesn't need to add a single pound to his frame folks. He is a fantastic player AS IS. Now, can we bump this thread to the bottom? Bttb?

Devilsfan
03-23-2008, 01:09 PM
My carolina "fiends" constantly bring this up because of obvious reasons. One even said the NBA is all about potential. I for one want Kyle to stay 3-4 years. It would be a shame to attend a school like Duke and leave before you recive a degree. A JWill senario would be a good alternative for such a fine young representative of our school.

jimbonelson
03-23-2008, 06:27 PM
i hope your right that would be very nice