PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, DeMarcus

feldspar
03-22-2008, 04:32 PM
For 4 great years. We're gonna miss you.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-22-2008, 04:35 PM
I feel so bad for DeMarcus. He has been one of my favorite players at Duke. Were going to miss him terribly. I look forward to seeing him make it in the NBA. The hardest worker on this years team by far.

dukestheheat
03-22-2008, 04:36 PM
DeMarcus,

We watched you play as a senior, before you'd committed to Duke, and I enjoyed your game then as today, and I wanted to say thank you for representing Duke with class and dignity and also, thank you for your efforts! We would not have accomplished what we were able to this year without your leadership and sacrifice.

dukestheheat

phaedrus
03-22-2008, 04:36 PM
When he was good, he was very good. Wish him the best.

bhop22
03-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Thank you Demarcus!!! You gave everything you had to this program in my opinion, and your determination will be missed. Thanks again fo rthe hard work.

Devilsfan
03-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Great year Demarcus, we will miss you. It's hard to play when your sick and you gave it your all and we appreciate you.

RockyMtDevil
03-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Great ride with you Markie, you had four tough years and battled through some major injuries to still score over 1,000 career points and probably had one of the top 10 senior years of just about anyone in Duke history outside of the Mega-stars.

Plus, he just seems like a great kid. The shots didn't fall today, but I love the heart.

Man I hate March after all....So bleepin depressing.

Acymetric
03-22-2008, 04:40 PM
DeMarcus...I really feel for you for that last game. Thanks for 4 great years man, you've been one of my favorite Duke players, and I wish you the best of luck wherever you end up next.

alaskan assassin
03-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Where do you think he'll get picked in the draft

Acymetric
03-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Where do you thhink he'll get picked in the draft

Honestly, I'm not sure he will. Which is a complete crime. I hope I'm wrong though, if he has some good pre-draft workouts with some teams that could change, I'm wishing him the best. He'll never be a star, but he can definitely be a contributor...

DukieInKansas
03-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Thank you, DeMarcus Nelson. It has been great watching you play. You have represented Duke well.

Barbara

devildownunder
03-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Yes thank you DeMarcus,

No one will ever convince me that we wouldn't have been a final four team in 2006 if you had been around and healthy. We might have even won it all.

As it stands, you stood tall through some good times and some of the more trying times. Your task was difficult and you took it on without complaint or hesitation, and certainly fared better than most under the circumstances.

Farewell

YmoBeThere
03-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for four years of hard work and effort DeMarcus!

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-22-2008, 04:49 PM
First off, thank you to DeMarcus. You gave Duke everything you had for four seasons and I wish you well whatever career you plan to pursue.

I'm especially sad because Demarcus will always be a "what if" player for me. With four healthy seasons Markie could have been one of the greats, provided the third option we never found in the JJ/Shel years, and gone out on a much less humiliating note. I'll never question his character or effort, but I still miss the player we never got to see.

Thanks for the effort and dedication, Markie. We're all so proud of you and will miss your D and effort every night.

dukebdx12
03-22-2008, 04:51 PM
everyone downs him because he didn't give what we expected this end of the year yet the past few years we love him...give me a break. thankyou demarcus

captmojo
03-22-2008, 04:54 PM
DeMarcus will be missed. Good show for a fine senior year. Many games would have been lost this season were it not for your fine efforts. This capt salutes the real Captain!

shereec
03-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Proud to have you as a Dukie!

Flyers52
03-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Thank You Demarcus...You've been one of my favorites over your four years- I will miss you, Duke will miss you. Good Luck, and Great Career

DevilAlumna
03-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Thank you, #21!

Nelson brought so much heart and toughness to the court this season, and his determination to always improve himself showed through his entire Duke career.

Best wishes for the next phase of this talented young man's life. I hope he takes his Duke degree with him!

dukerev
03-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks DeMarcus - you now join the pantheon of Duke captains and players. We look forward to following your professional basketball career and (hopefully) hearing about your career post-basketball. I also hope to see you in Cameron for a Duke-UNC tilt in years to come. Well done, DeMarcus, and thanks for four great years!

ajtrublu
03-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks, DeMarcus, for four great years, and especially for your strength and leadership this year. You've been a joy to watch.

OldSchool
03-22-2008, 06:08 PM
DeMarcus - Win or lose on the court, you have never disappointed us and you make us proud to be supporters of Duke Basketball. I don't know what the future holds, but there will more basketball ahead for you and after that, I have no doubt that in whatever endeavor you choose to pursue, be that coaching, business or whatever, you will be a leader. Best of luck to you.

DukePA
03-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Thank you DeMarcus. You are a fantastic young man and a credit to Duke University. We are so proud of you. Well done.

weezie
03-23-2008, 12:42 PM
DeMarcus! You made me so proud of you and all you fought through and accomplished during your years at Duke. I sure hope you had fun and made those friends of a lifetime that us oldsters now treasure.
May the wind be at your back, my fine young man!!!!

RWD
03-23-2008, 12:45 PM
For everything you did and the way you comported himself on and off the court, you make me proud to be a Duke alum.

RWD

wiscodevil
03-23-2008, 12:54 PM
For playing with class and representing the team and the University so weel. You are a true warrior!

cascadedevil
03-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Thank you Demarcus. For four years you showed the work ethic, class and heart that are the best attributes of our Duke family. Watching you battle back from injuries, play any role you were asked, and finally assume the Captain's title was inspiring. You are a credit to the school, your family and most of all yourself. It will be great to call you a fellow alum. I wish you the best in all your future endeavors!

ricks68
03-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Thank you so much for all you have contributed to Duke. It has been an honor to watch you play your heart out every single game. All the best for the future.

ricks

BAMDSALL
03-23-2008, 09:57 PM
What an inspiration you have been to so many!

Your character, determination and demeanor have made me proud to be a Duke fan.

Here's wishing you tons of your sorely missed California sunshine and thanks for the good times:)

Fish80
03-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Thank you DeMarcus.

I've really enjoyed watching you compete over four years. One of the things that means the most to me is the team chemistry this year. As a fan, it looked like the guys really liked each other and really enjoyed playing together. I got the sense that all of them would follow you into battle anywhere, anytime. Your were a great captain.

We'll miss you. Good luck and God bless!

summerwind03
03-23-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm so glad someone started this thread. I'm happy to have the opportunity to tell you (even from afar) what a pleasure it's been to watch you play for four years. You are truly a warrior and I'm so proud of you. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

RelativeWays
03-23-2008, 10:59 PM
I think out of all the seniors we've had in the last 10 years or so, Nelson's final games made me the most sad. Overall, D-marc had a great year and I know he really wanted to finish the season strong. I could tell it was an emotional toll on him, not just yesterday, but senior day as well.

We appreciate your playing, your skills and your character. I'm pretty sure that everyone here that posts on DBR will be following you wherever you go and whatever you do. You don't leave the circle just by graduating, YOU NEVER LEAVE, MUAHAHAHAHA. We will all be cheering for your success in the future.

northernduke
03-23-2008, 11:12 PM
You were an awesome anchor for the team this year. Unfortunately I don't think most people will realize how invaluable you were to our team until you're no longer on the court.

Edouble
03-23-2008, 11:28 PM
DeMarcus:

I remember seeing you emerge as one of the best rebounding guards in recent memory, and throw down 19 on Carolina your freshman year. Bad luck with injuries during the middle of your career only made your great senior year that much sweeter. Thank you for representing my university with class, diginity, and a champion's heart. Thank you for your hard work and for helping our team to so many wins that both please and inspire me. Thank you for adding well to the lineage of great guards that have worn #21 for Coach K.

twisterduke81
03-24-2008, 08:00 AM
DeMarcus,
What a classy captain you've been for Duke! Thank you for the inspirational leadership you've given the team and our school. You did so much for the team that did not always show up in stats. And when you take a rebound .... aaahhhh. Best of luck to you in what ever you seek.

moonpie23
03-24-2008, 08:49 AM
thanks D....best of luck to you always!!

SoCalDukeFan
03-24-2008, 11:41 AM
for your four years of class.

You gave your all for Duke basketball.

Best of luck in your future.

SoCal

whereinthehellami
03-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Here are DeMarcus's numbers for his career. They reflect the hard work that he put forth over his career. Notice the improvement each year. Thanks Demarcus for your blood and sweat. Good luck in the rest of your life.

FR 6.2 PPG 4.5 RPG 0.8 APG 0.8 SPG
SO 7.1 PPG 7.1 RPG 1.2 APG 0.8 SPG
JR 14.1 PPG 5.4 RPG 2.0 APG 1.3 SPG
SR 14.5 PPG 5.8 RPG 2.9 APG 1.6 SPG

Magnolia888
03-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Thank you, Demarcus!!

You were a wonderful captain!! You will be missed.

Thank you for four great years.

west_coast_devil
03-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks for four great years DeMarcus. Best of luck in the future

OldPhiKap
03-24-2008, 02:22 PM
D, you've been a great representative of our university. It has been a pleasure and a privilege to watch you mature into leadership.

Best of luck in the future!

-- OPK

Johnboy
03-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Demarcus - Thanks for all your dedication and hard work to Duke and for your outstanding leadership this season. Best of luck in basketball and in life!
Johnboy

MonitorMom
03-24-2008, 05:15 PM
DeMarcus,
Captain, our captain. Listening to you grow as you handled the press and your leadership role was as exciting as watching you grow as an athlete on the court. Your family should be so proud. Thank you for sharing of yourself. It was a priviledge.

Troublemaker
03-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Thank you, Demarcus. What I'll remember most about you is your resiliency in the face of setbacks. Not many people can endure the injuries you suffered throughout your career, continue to be diligent, and then end up All-Conference your senior season. You were given an opportunity to be a captain, a leader, this season, and by all accounts, you grabbed the bull by the horns. Your coaches and your teammates gushed about your leadership at every turn. Without the benefit of seeing you in action behind the scenes, I doubt any of us fans could possibly fully appreciate what you mean to this team. I can only echo what Gerald said about you in the N&O today.

"It's been a great season, and DeMarcus especially taught me so much. He gave the team so much. It's sad to see him go."

mgtr
03-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Captain DeMarcus-
I cannot give you a stronger compliment than by using a word from another poster -- warrior. You are that, young man. When someone opens a dictionary to the word warrior, it should show your picture.
Good luck wherever life takes you.

duke98
03-25-2008, 12:51 PM
I can't remember anyone in recent memory who has worked harder than DeMarcus Nelson. I think that history will remember him much like we remember Chris Carrawell -- C-well never won a NC himself, but you can't tell me that his determination and work ethic didn't rub off on the members of the 2001 championship team. Hopefully the 08-09 Blue Devils will remember their former captain and win an NC in his honor next year!

bjornolf
03-25-2008, 01:04 PM
...has been one of my favorite players over my 16 or so years as a Duke fan. His toughness, leadership, and resiliency have been truly remarkable. Thank you, and good luck in your future, though I doubt you'll need it with your skills and work ethic. You epitomize :cool: