PDA

View Full Version : What I hate after a loss...

NashvilleDevil
03-16-2007, 09:53 AM
I know that Duke is going to lose in the tourney more often then they are going to win it all even if I wish they could win it every year. What I hate after a loss like yesterday's is the absolute joy media types have today. You cannot escape it today because it is Duke and they were the only team to get upset yesterday. You would think the way some of these writers are acting that they won the Powerball.

drksuh
03-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Agree. When we win championships we exhibit restrained exhilaration and joy. When we lose in the first round of the NCAAs, we exhibit quiet class. We are Duke.

UNChater
03-16-2007, 11:05 AM
While I totally agree, I do realize it comes with the territory. Would you change a thing?

NashvilleDevil
03-16-2007, 12:03 PM
I look forward to every basketball season like everyone else on this board does. It is just real frustrating to have everyone and I mean everyone gloating about Duke losing last night. I read one article were the author said that Duke's reign in college basketball is over. It is just frustrating because these writers that are gloating about Duke losing will be the first ones to write an article about Duke getting all the calls when they start winning again. I will give them credit for being predictable though.

drksuh
03-16-2007, 12:30 PM
They gloat because of envy. If they were as great in acheivement as we are, then they would be attacked like we are. It's simply that simple.

Cavlaw
03-16-2007, 12:38 PM
The recent reports of Duke's demise are greatly exaggerated...

SMO
03-16-2007, 12:40 PM
I look forward to every basketball season like everyone else on this board does. It is just real frustrating to have everyone and I mean everyone gloating about Duke losing last night. I read one article were the author said that Duke's reign in college basketball is over. It is just frustrating because these writers that are gloating about Duke losing will be the first ones to write an article about Duke getting all the calls when they start winning again. I will give them credit for being predictable though.

I think we should collect an archive of such article because the next 2-3 seasons should be excellent. I would love to fill the haters' inboxes with a reminder of their short-sighted articles in future years.

drksuh
03-16-2007, 01:07 PM
smo, Let us wage a campaign to do just as you suggested. These writers hide anonymously behind a name and a computer screen and believe that what they write is not subject to the test of history and time. Let us prove there idiocy in a short few years!

hurleyfor3
03-16-2007, 01:50 PM
While I totally agree, I do realize it comes with the territory. Would you change a thing?

No.

One of the advertising links on my Gmail account this morning read something like "Duke's era of dominance ends." Now, I don't really think a succession of sweet 16 faceplants against football schools constitutes "dominance," at least not the way seven Final Fours in nine years did. But other people apparently do. And it wasn't Unc's era of dominance, or Uconn's, or Kentucky's, or Maryland's, or whoever's. It was ours. And if that's what they're giving us, I'll take it.

The real problem is some of us need to grow some testicles and quit giving a damn about what greg doily or doug gottlieb or the self-anointed Sports Guy or the guy in the next cubicle thinks, but that's a different topic.

Cameron
03-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Yes, I agree. The sportswriters and ESPN guys are having a complete heyday with the loss. It is sick to see how happy some of them are. I noticed how one ESPNews guy ended his highlight by saying, "Duke, the team many thought was highly over-seeded, is now out. Makes you wonder if they should have been in to begin with." It was just so obvious that he wanted to run straight towards the camera, panting, yelling Duke sucks, Duke sucks!!!. Incredibly hard to watch, knowing that I am too far away to knock him the _____ out. But, I digress.

It is those kinds of people, however, that are only happy because of their jealously of the Duke Basketball program. And that is a nice thing to know. Very comforting to know we are still the golden standard of college basketball. If there is any traditional power falling further and further of the face of the earth, that is Kentucky. They are realistically years and years away from contending. We will be back in the top 5 next season, with a legitimate shot at a national title:) Nice thing to know, indeed.

mslicefsu
03-16-2007, 02:45 PM
all be it from a Terp...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/bal-dinich031507,0,6724013.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

drksuh
03-16-2007, 04:44 PM
I agree, Cameron. We are still the dominant historic men's basketball dynasty of recent times. Well, to be accurate, we might have to include our paler blue neighbors, as well.

Duke15304
03-16-2007, 06:12 PM
every "expert" seemed to be picking VCU to win, and then when we lost, it was somehow an upset, also, didnt it seem like the annoucers last nite wanted wanted VCU to win

devildownunder
03-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Agree. When we win championships we exhibit restrained exhilaration and joy. When we lose in the first round of the NCAAs, we exhibit quiet class. We are Duke.

So quit exhibiting "quiet class" when we win. :D