PDA

View Full Version : Building a Bridge: Tale of Two Fans

feldspar
03-21-2008, 11:04 PM
I think we've all noticed some heated emotions going on over the course of the last couple of weeks with this team working its way toward the end of the season and the many feelings associate with that.

One of the common themes I'm seeing that has emerged is what I call The Tale of Two Fans. These, of course, are generalizations and do not represent one single poster or person.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fan #1: The Eternal Optimist/Idealist
This is the fan that, for better or worse, speaks only positively about Duke basketball. They will talk about weaknesses, but generally likes to focus on strengths. They shun any negative talk and are many times easily offended because they love Duke basketball and don't like to hear criticism by supposed Duke fans of their program. They especially wince at any criticism of Coach K.

How other Fan #1s view him/her: A staunch supporter of Duke basketball. Perhaps even a "true" fan. Healthy for the program, essential to a good DBR, etc etc

How Fan #2s view him/her: Naive, head in the sand. Unwilling to accept the foibles and weaknesses, whatever they may be, of Duke basketball. Duke can do no wrong, perfect program, etc. Coddled by the moderators, even.

Fan #2: The Pessimist/Realist
This fan wants to hash through the struggles of Duke basketball. They want to talk about issues like the development of big men, recruiting, scheduling, koaching moves and strategy, etc. He or she is a loyal Duke fan but at times expresses frustration at a player, coach, the way Duke plays, etc, much to the chagrin of Fan #1. Either way, they just want Duke to be the best team in the nation.

How other Fan #2s view him/her: Keeping it real. Finally, there's someone who can look at things objectively. Realistic about expectations and results. Feeling of being a select few who, at times, have to band together against the legions of Fan #1s and the moderators.

How Fan #1s view him/her: Destructively negative. Has nothing good to say about Duke basketball. Might even be a troll. Either way, not good for the program. Who are they to criticize? They've never coached a D-1 team, after all.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What's the common thread among these two groups? No, it's not that they both hate each other. It's that they both love Duke basketball.

We all love Duke basketball (except for the legitimate trolls :D). We all want what's best for this program. There has to be a way for Fan #1s to allow Fan #2s to express their frustrations and talk through their criticisms in a constructive manner without taking offense and feeling like the program is being attacked.

And there has to be a way for Fan #2s to not be offended when their ideas are brushed off by Fan #1s who just want to stay positive about Duke basketball.

It's an annoying cliché, but there has to be a way we can all get along. There has to be a way that we can have adult conversations about things without people calling names and getting huffy and people being banned.

Take a minute and try and think of which camp you might be in. Are you an eternal optimist/idealist or are you a pessimist/realist? You might be a little bit of both. But when you get ready to type out that post, think of which camp your post belongs in, and then take just a minute and put yourself in the other camp's shoes. Take a minute and try and look at things from their perspective.

If we all did that every now and then, I think this place would be much more enjoyable, and a lot more productive.

Thanks.

DU82
03-21-2008, 11:21 PM
A question. Why is it only the "negative" #2 side are "realists"?

OZZIE4DUKE
03-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Take a minute and try and think of which camp you might be in. Are you an eternal optimist/idealist or are you a pessimist/realist?

Gee. I wonder which camp I fit into?

I see no reason why people want to go through life with a negative outlook most of the time. No offense to anyone, but those people are generally miserable and could be described as life's losers. You can be realistic while still being an optimist. And life don't suck when you are optimistic.

JBDuke
03-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Okay, this is already starting to go where I thought it would. I'm temporarily closing the thread pending a decision by the mods whether or not to let it stand. IMO, it's the wrong time to bring this discussion back up. (If it's ever the right time - this ground has been covered several times over the last few months...)